Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Magnet Man Goes to Westchester

"But this class isn't just about mastering your powers," John replied. "It's about learning self-defense technique. I chose these katas for a reason - they're the building blocks we'll be working with the rest of the semester. We'll be addressing combat in flight later on, but I want to see you master the basics on the ground first."

Banner Laverick
    "But I can't get that one on the ground, so why can't I just fly? If I was using this in the "real"" Banner threw up some air quotes, her voice taking on an angry tone. "World, I would be flying all over the place. It's easier to do that oneif I just, you know...use the gifts God gave me!"

Flux
    Felix couldn't help but agree, and also couldn't stop himself from saying so.

"Isn't that the point of this being a powers class? Would you stop me from using mine if I were taking it instead?"

Felix sounded a little incredulous; after all, here's a mutant class in a mutant school and the student was being discouraged from using her powers. Sounded pretty dumb from Felix's spot on the wall.

John turned toward Felix with such an air of unyielding patience that he might as well have been arguing against a mountainside.

"If you were taking a course in basic self-defense, yes. Because there are times when it may be impossible or inappropriate to use your gifts. Because, in Banner's case, there may come a time she must face an opponent without adequate room to fly. And because," he continued, calmly rounding back toward Banner, "the entire point of this kata is to repel an attack from behind while maintaining a solid footing on the ground. Which, by taking to the air, you have just given up. When you fly, you give up leverage for mobility. They are not interchangeable."

Banner Laverick
    "Yeah, but if I can't fly, I can just whomp on them."

Banner smacked a fist into her palm for emphasis, a frown firmly in place on her face.

"Unless they have like, guns or something, I can handle them. You know that I can't be hurt that easily, Mr Rhee. And if I'm mobile, they can't hit me either."

Flux
    "Even if they have guns, I'm not sure they'd hurt you," Felix said, voicing a sudden thought without meaning to. "Wish we coulda tested it somehow when we were doing our thing out in the scrap yard."

"It's not a matter for argument," John replied crisply, and he aimed a cautionary look at Felix. "Banner, as I have told you before, this class is as much about placing limits on your powers as expanding them. You cannot trust to brute force simply because, in most cases, brute force would be excessive force. Restraint is the highest form of mastery."

He glanced at the clock mounted in the wall behind a plate of plexiglass and frowned. Their time had sped by far too fast.

"We will continue this exercise next week," he said. "Banner, I want you to continue to practice all your kata, with a particular emphasis on kata number ten. Felix, I hope you enjoy the rest of your visit. Perhaps you could join us for a Mutation Development class sometime. It's far more open to participation."

He bowed to Banner and had to clear his throat to remind her to do the same, then gathered up his duffel, shook Felix's hand, and left.

Banner Laverick
    Banner watched Mr Rhee walk out of the room after her sloppy bow. She turned to Felix with a heavy sigh, rolling her eyes.

"Damnit. I'm going to get my butt whupped next class."

She used the hem of her shirt to wipe her face. "I think we had a good point though...what's the point of having powers if you don't use them? Right?"

Flux
    "For real. There's no sense in holding yourself down to a "normal" level. You're better for a reason," Felix said contemptuously. "You should be able to be better all the time no matter what. If people wanna take issue with that, then that's their problem, not yours, and they deserve whatever you give them."

Banner Laverick
    She raised a brow at the tone of his voice, but shrugged it off. She was just as annoyed with how the class had progressed as he was, it seemed.

"Maybe. I'd hope I wouldn't have to resort to that."

Banner closed the space between them, wrapping her arms around his waist and pulling him into a tight hug.

"I mean, we're all mutants here. We should just use our powers whenever, and not worry about. It's just who we are."

Flux
    "Yeah," he said distantly. He was half-tempted to go make a show of power in the lobby, just to see if they could stop him, but...no need to get Banner in trouble. He'd have his chance. He walked with her back to the school's entrance, taking their time and winding around the long way, until at last they were standing on the front steps.

"Bus'll be here soon," he said, sitting down to wait out the next few minutes with her. "Gonna miss you, sweetie."

Banner Laverick
    "Yeah."

Banner sat next to him, snuggling up against him and resting her head on his shoulder. She kissed his cheek.

"I wish I could go with you, or that you didn't have to go. It's like I've hardly gotten to see you at all, and now you're leaving."

Flux
    "Is otay," Felix said, standing and pulling her to her feet. He hugged her tight, gave her a long, heartfelt kiss, and stepped back to look her in the eye. "Hang in there, sweetie. You won't have to put up with this for much longer." He squeezed her hand and smiled as he walked down the steps. "See ya."

Felix walked quickly, breaking to a jog, to a run, and then leapt at the gate, magnetizing himself to it's top to spring over and land on the sidewalk beyond. A minute later the bus arrived, Felix stepped on, and the pair were separate again.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456