Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A study in Mutant Education (Cullen's, etc)

Nuro Alston
    If you asked Noru what he was, he wouldn't call himself a mutant. Matter of fact, if you asked him who he was he wouldn't give any direct answer. As philosophical as he was playful, Noru thought deeply on the idea of identity since he was just a child. Powers were simply one facet of his complicated psyche, and being surrounded by all these other mutants only made his identity-crisis more thought-provoking. Although quite comfortable in his own skin, Noru was beginning his coming of age chapter in his book of life and didn't have his old certainty that he knew who he was.

Conflicted, just like everyone else, Noru calmly strolled down to his table. One of the few new students, he hadn't created any relationships as of yet and rather sit by himself. The young man was sure that he looked interesting, so hopefully someone would come his way. However, he didn't notice that his table had already been taken. Overwhelmed with the noise of the cafeteria, he barley recognized the voices to his left. Slicing his attention up with his surroundings and vegan meal, he eased into his eavesdropping zone.

A glance, and he found a small bunch chattering about misconceptions. Two of the three he hadn't seen before, but Natalia was a more familiar face. If his memory was working right, he had her class on his schedule. With a quick shuffle through his name files, he waved politely at her with a pleasant smile.

"Ay dere Miss Fedorov..."
    Last edited by Nuro Alston; May 9th, 2008 at 02:06:10 PM.

Stern
    Stern ate some spinach first, then started in on his own steak and gravy. "Ok, but what about you?" He asked Freight Train.

Another student sat down and addressed Natalia. He seemed like a nice kid, but also lost in thought. He decided to wait until the new student noticed him before asking any questions.

"Good food, though," he commented off-hand.

Nuro Alston
    For a second he watched the others as his hand dropped from his wave, thinking on his own food. He didn't mess with the cafeteria goods, too much meat for his taste. Plus, he was on a strict vegan diet that required his attention at all times.

Being health-conscious was new to him, and everyone that knew him. All his life he could eat whatever he wanted and his slim, Ethiopian physique wouldn't change. Before his switch in foods there hadn't been any obvious or evident alteration either, which only set them up for more shock at his sudden interest.

Yet, he still did eat, and get his water from the cafeteria. Even from his samples, he couldn't disagree with this new fellow. The food was tasty. Way better than what he remembered from his first semester at ESU. So, with little adieu he interjected, but oh so smoothly (as usual).

"Yea, it aint dat bad," he said, his Brooklyn accent showing, as he continued with a smile. "O--yah, m'names Noru (Nor-oo), Ms. Fedorvo prolly 'membas it from da role sheet. Kinda...diff'n, yaknow,"

Freight Train
    "Meh, food's okay. I came here after discussing it with my family. We decided that this would be the best place to work on controlling my powers, since they have facilities built to take punishment and my house is decidedly lacking in anything sturdier than concrete." She picked at her steak and gravy, bracing herself for the inevitable question of what exactly her powers were.

Stern
    "Noru and Freight Train. Got it. Well, back on the topic of sports and powers, I reckon you guys don't have teams like other schools do. So are there intramural sports here? Even the pick-up games have to be pretty intense."

Stern decided not to just up and discuss each student's power. If they wanted to divulge details they would. Plus, he figured he needed to know more about how they got along at the school. It was more about the way they felt about the school and their education more than what their gifts were.

Nuro Alston
    A precarious look took in that small empty space between his end of the table and the little groups cluster before sliding over to shorten the separation. A long with his move came a certain smile, reassuring the group he wasn't some sort of stalker or weirdo. One more cautious glance was all that was necessary before he took the newcomer's question.

"Eh, I think that'd be...uh, accurate," he said, over-emphasizing the thoughtfulness in his face. "I mean, I aint see dat much craziness...y'know, like ya expect ta see in my week 'ere--but! But! I've watched a game o' two and those gifts aint nothin' to play wit..."

Noru recalled one visit to the gym where some teleporter disappeared and reappeared between some fool's legs. Some smarty called "travel", but no one paid the kid any mind. Two seconds later another player was springing into the air, above the rim, before catching an alley-oop from the disappearing act. There was no word more fitting than entertaining, but it was evident that the frustration was obvious on the oppositions face. All those different abilities made the playing field just a tad bit uneven.

Stern
    "Besides that, don't you guys all live here on the campus? How does that work out?"

Nuro Alston
    "Well...fo' me, I live in a dorm room by m'self...nothin' special,' he explained, diverting his eyes from Stern to Freight. "What bout you?"
    Last edited by Nuro Alston; May 12th, 2008 at 04:09:54 PM.

Natalia Fedorov
    Natalia was content to oversee the conversation in silence for now, as she enjoyed her meal. She was fairly confident that Michael wouldn't overstep any boundaries with the students - he'd been polite and reasonable in his requests thus far - but it was her responsibility, for now, to keep an eye on him.

Freight Train
    She heaved a sigh and pushed her steak around the plate with her fork.

"Three roommates. We all have separate rooms, and we have one bathroom per two rooms, so I share with one other girl. We have a common room with a little couch and a chair. I can't stand it, to be honest. They're loud and obnoxious and they just will not quit singing crap from High School Musical. Can't wait to be high school and have a say in how I live."

Nuro Alston
    A chuckle escaped his reserve as he listened to the young Freight Train complain about her obnoxious roommates. Noru never had to deal with anybody but his brother in his space, and he was the youngest of his three sibilings anyways. He was just happy to be there in every rooming assignment he had been in, except this one. Truth was, he was too lonely with his one man room.

"I feel ya...my lil' suite aint got anybody else in it -- but bein' assigned alone isn't exactly...exciting."

Banner Laverick
    "Being alone is great, it means you get a break from the Cullens zombies. You don't have to worry about anyone snooping in your things, teachers trying to get to you in some hokey "After School Special" kind of way, or the local pep squad trying to cheer you up."

The voice came from a red haired girl who was standing behind Ms. Fevorov. Her tray was about half as full as the other students, a sour look on her face as she walked passed.

"Some mutants do better on their own."

Natalia Fedorov
    Natalia did not need to turn around to know who was stood behind her. Banner Laverick had already gained some notoriety amongst the faculty for what some described as 'attitude problems'. For someone who was so confident in their ability to survive alone, she seemed rather keen on getting involved in other peoples business, letting them know how she felt about this and that. Natalia would have happily seen her removed from the school - her time in the military had given her no interest in pandering to those who clearly didn't want to be somewhere. In the end, however, it was not her choice alone who remained and who did not - it was a group decision, like everything else at the school.

“And some don't,” she said, breaking her silence at last.

“Not everyone can be blessed with self-sufficiency and confidence... you have to learn to walk before you can fly, hm?”

Stern
    Plate cleared at last, Stern pushed it a little away from him.

"But that's why the school was founded, right? To give mutants who have a hard go of it a place where they can come to grips with who they are in a safe and comforting environment. So when they go out into the real world later, they can do well. And not blow up buildings when they sneeze."

Stern looked at the clock on the far end of the dining hall. "Class is soon, right? Anyone care to divulge their favorite subject in front of Miss Fedorov?"

Freight Train
    "Cato's history class," Freight Train answered, easily and comfortably. She didn't care who knew about her favorite teacher, seeing as the entire faculty had students who they blatantly favored. "That lady makes everything cool as hell. She makes it relevant to us mutants."

Banner Laverick
    Quote Originally Posted by Natalia Fedorov View Post
    “And some don't,” she said, breaking her silence at last.

“Not everyone can be blessed with self-sufficiency and confidence... you have to learn to walk before you can fly, hm?”

"Then they can come here and be babied, and the rest of us can go about our business."

She gave Stern a shrug. "I like study hall, only because I get to chat with my boyfriend on the library computers. He goes to a different, normal school, but he's a mutant like all of us here."

Stern
    Stern tried to decide if he should angle in for any personal questions. The likes and dislikes of the school were one thing. Naturally kids might hate the classes, or living arrangements, or love having free use of their abiltiies, but this seemed very personal. He leaned back in his chair and folded his arms.

"Well," he began, the next question only half-formulated in his mind.

Fortunately for him, the school bell rang, signalling the end of the lunch period.

"It looks like it's time for class. I guess I'll be shadowing your foreign languages class, Miss Fedorov?"

Nuro Alston
    Noru slipped out of his chair, sliding his hands in his pocket after throwing his bag over his shoulder. He didn't care to divulge too much as the others spoke. It was clear enough attitude was in the discussion for him to intervene. Maybe that was the other side of him - silence, because it was certain there was a talkative facet to his personality.

"Well I'll be shadow'n too...maybe dis time I wont be almost late."

Natalia Fedorov
    To Michael's question, she replied with an air of casual nonchalance: “If you like. I am sure that any of the other staff would be happy to have you observing their classes.”

With that, she got to her feet and gave Stern an expectant look. His visitors pass would give him the freedom to sit in on most any class he could find. Which he chose, she supposed, all depended on which he'd be able to get the most out of.

Nuro Alston
    Noru gave a smile to Ms. Fedorov as she spoke before returning his look to Stern.

"You can sit next to me if y'want - aint no prob, yaknow? Plus, itsa betta view."

More often than not, Noru was either in the front or the back of the class. He didn't like being lost in the jumble in the middle. No one ever notice him when he raised his hands, and he only got himself in trouble with his excessive chatter.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast