Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Old Souls

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Waiting on her social security payout since 2200 BCE

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    "I have had many friends who knew, but I only told them because they were gifted as well. Those who were not could never understand. I've had countless husbands, lovers, sons, and daughters, and if any of them suspected, they did not say.

"As it was, I was often gone before it became too obvious."

Veritas
    "Husbands?"

Henri arched an eyebrow.

"Those too you left?"

SW-Fans.Net Poster

There was a muted glint of sadness in her eyes then.

"There were many times that I did not have to. The ancient world was a very harsh place, and men often died of sickness or war in their early years."

Veritas
    For the first time, Henri allowed himself to share a moment of sympathy with his parted lover.

"Was that what brought you to your situation with me? Is it easier to lose the living than the dead?"

SW-Fans.Net Poster

There was a long pause, as she thought on his words.

"My situation with you... " she repeated in a low voice. There seemed no real correct answer to what he asked; perhaps in time she would be able to, in a place that was somewhat more private.

As it was, Evelyn gave a reply that turned his question back around onto himself.

"If it had been you, which would have been easier? What would you have done?"

Veritas
    "How can I say? That would be a difficult thing."

Henri mulled it over a moment.

"If it was love, naturally I would want to see it through. But how many times one could do this before letting go of a loved one became a matter of procedure?"

SW-Fans.Net Poster

"It is always a difficult thing.

"That said, I made a mistake. It is not unheard of, even for myself. Whether or not what I do has become a procedure I do not know. There are moments when I know that it is time to leave, and I will freely admit that when I left you, I was not entirely sure that it would be right."

She bowed her head.

"It is something that, after seeing you now, I know I should not have done."

Veritas
    Henri's brow furrowed at the sound of her apology.

"You are immortal. Predicting the future is hubris. When I was young, I would ask for this apology. Now that I am old, the most important thing for me is here and now."

"Henri! Ah, there you are."

John Rhee came walking up one of the garden paths to meet them wearing his gi and sneakers. He had just finished a morning class, which he'd moved outside to take advantage of the beautiful weather.

"If you've got a moment, I -- oh, pardon me."

John hadn't seen the young woman with Henri until she stepped around him. She was an arresting sight in her own right, but somehow John was surprised to see her standing beside Henri with - or was he imagining it - a distinct level familiarity.

He hesitated, unsure whether he was intruding. "Pardon me - I didn't mean to interrupt."
    Last edited by Dragon; May 3rd, 2008 at 04:59:13 PM.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Evelyn smiled, in part thankful for the arrival of another. If there was anything else that she and Henri needed to talk of, it would be later. She'd not included it in her letter to him, but her interest in Cullen's had been sparked from the moment that she'd heard of it, and Evelyn knew that the next chapter in her life would be written there.

She stood beside Henri and nodded to the newcomer politely. Breaking from her normal tendencies, she waited patiently for Henri to introduce her.

Veritas
    "John it is fine. I was hoping to be able to introduce you to Evelyn Cato, an old acquaintance of mine."

Henri gestured to Evelyn, gently tipping his head.

"Evelyn, this is John Rhee, another of our faculty at the Institute."

John stepped forward to shake Evelyn's hand.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Ms. Cato. You're here to visit Henri?"

Somehow he guessed there was more to it than that - and he couldn't help imagining there must be more between her and Henri than the Frenchman was letting on. Something about his inflection on the word "old" which didn't seem congruent with Evelyn's youthful charm.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Taking his offered hand, Evelyn gave John a warm smile.

"Partially, yes. I've not seen Henri in some time, and so I thought it would be an enjoyable surprise."

She gave a cursory wave of her hand, indicating the well-groomed lawns and gardens that provided the canvas that the Institute lay painted on.

"I also wished to see your school with my own eyes. It is wonderful so far."

Veritas
    Henri eyed John as he ventured a reply to Evelyn.

"It would not be a hardship for a more extensive tour. We teach many bright young people here."

John tried to gauge whether this was an invitation.

"Certainly - I have the next hour free, if you wouldn't mind my company?"

SW-Fans.Net Poster

"Not at all."

Evelyn was more than happy for the added company, as it would offer the possibility of multiple answers of varying viewpoints to the questions she planned to ask. Henri's position on these sorts of matters she knew would be sound, and she had a feeling that those he chose to associate with were just as trustworthy.

She gave a nod and a genial smile. "It would be most welcome."

Veritas
    "Very good then."

Henri walked with both Evelyn and John to the impressive front doors, holding one open for each.

"The institute functions primarily as a primary and secondary educational facility for gifted youth. We have curriculum to provide for children of all ages as well as young adults."

The interior of the Cullen mansion was in keeping with the English colonial architecture - tiled floors, a vaulted entrance, a sweeping grand staircase. To the right was an open lounge with period French furniture which bore the wear and tear of student life.

"The dormitories are upstairs," John said, pointing to the staircase. "Most of our offices and classrooms are here on the first floor, or in the western annex, where the gymnasium is. We also have some specialized facilities there were our students can explore their unique gifts."

A trio of students were seated around an antique coffee table and a pile of history notes. One of them saw Henri and waved.

"Professor Bertrand - can't you move the test to Monday? It's too nice out to be studying!"

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Her eyes went all around her, sweeping over the interior with hunger. It was impressive to say the least, and Evelyn allowed her gaze to linger on the antique furniture. It reminded her of her own tastes to a degree.

That the students themselves stayed in the mansion was something she'd not expected, but it seemed fitting regardless. To provide them with such easy access to the well of knowledge in botht he teachers and the learning material itself seemed a very efficient and attentive approach. And that their abilities were nurtured in such a fashion was also a breath of fresh air.

Conscious of the question put to Henri, she addressed John. "How many students do you have?"

"We have, let's see, a hundred fifty-two students currently," John replied. "We've had a few new additions mid-year, and we're continuing to grow. We've even added a few new faculty since the beginning of the year."

They'd also lost a few - Tess and Francoise were foremost on his mind.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast