Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL Pick 'em Week 1

The Saints didn't play agressive at all. They were way too conservative. They needed to get out of the gate on the road. Got to question now if they have what it takes to make it to the SB. I thought they were the best but who knows now. The funny thing is I think indy is the third best team right now. I say the Chargers or Patriots are both better teams.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    Summer Box Office Contest 2008 - Winner!
    Try the root stew, you will. Taste good, it does.
    DragonCon 09
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

Colts looked really impressive in the preseason, so I am somehow not surprised. Although, I did not expect Saints offensive line to collapse like they did. Not sure how much that was because of Colts defense, or if it will be a reoccurring phenomena for the Saints in future games. It's hard to believe Saints were one of the most powerful offenses last year.

You can bet Brees, Colston, Bush and McAllister owners in fantasy were pretty frustrated last night, and there will be some trade offers by nervous managers in various leagues already. Somehow, I avoided taking any of their offensive line in the 4 fantasy drafts I participated in. My Peyton Manning pick looked really promising last night, god Peyton is such a monster. I also have to congratulate owners of Harrison, Wayne and Addai (in particular Addai). It's shaping up to become a fun season for them..

JMK
    Don't tell me that on top of being an offensive juggernaut that the Colts are going to be a defensive powerhouse too? They completely smothered the Saints potent offense. Sure they were at home, but the Saints aren't exactly the Raiders on offense. Great start for Indy - that was a statement game, if such a thing exists in week 1.

jjwr
    Its only week 1 and they have the big home opener after the SB win....give them a few weeks and we'll know what kind of team they really are.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Did I tell you about the time I stole fire from the gods? I couldn't fence it, it was too hot. I really got burned on that deal...

AKA
    Andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by jjwr View Post
    Its only week 1 and they have the big home opener after the SB win....give them a few weeks and we'll know what kind of team they really are.
    This is truth for the Saints, as well. Season openers tend to be sloppy games, which was why I was so impressed that the Colts came out so strong. But a lot can happen in sixteen games. The Saints really looked no better than this in their first game last year, and, really, this is their first time trying to repeat a playoff appearance in over a decade. Good players and good coaches can rebound from a shellacking like this.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Colander on the head... check. Ferrets... check. Imperial insignia... check. Pants... well, three out of four ain't bad!

The Colts weren't as dominant as yall make them out to be. The longest pass the Saints tried to make was about 24 yards and that was late, late in the game. The Saints played into the Colt's cover-2 perfectly by dunking and dinking to backs and tight ends. As for the Colts offense, if Jason David gave the recievers anymore cushion, he'd be in the stands. Manning was off most of the night (he had maybe three good throws), but for the most part, the Saints are the defense we expected.

Wait until the Colts play New England, Baltimore, and San Diego. Hell, Ugoh was being manhandled by a second tier defensive end. I wouldn't be surprised if Mario Williams had his coming out party against him next week. He's got the size to bullrush him, but he's also got a lot of speed, something Grant lacks. And once a team has a premier rusher (Merriman, Suggs, Peppers), I'd be real worried about not only Manning getting blindsided, but the effect it will have on the run game, as they'll have to pull the guard to help Ugoh, as Merriman, Suggs, and Peppers all play the run really, really well.

I think that young LTwill still be the Colts undoing. To me that retirement, along with the injury to the DT will keep them from the SB. I still think the SB will be between either the Chargers or Patriots. At this point a NFC team would have to really impress me.

jjwr
    Manning was hitting some WIDE open receivers too. Saints aren't the strongest defensive team out there and it showed.

The Saints had a chance though. It was 10-10 at halftime. If they had played more agressive early they could have took a decent lead and changed the game.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Did I tell you about the time I stole fire from the gods? I couldn't fence it, it was too hot. I really got burned on that deal...

AKA
    Andrew
    Me, I'm looking forward to having more games to talk about.

Incidentally, if you're not sure what games will be covered in your area, I highly recommend this site, which posts weekly TV distribution maps for all local-coverage NFL games. He does a very good job of researching. He usually uploads the map for each week sometime around Wednesday.

Based on that I get either the Jets and Patriots or Dolphins and Redskins. I rather have the former because the latter will probably be a rough game.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Andrew
    If you know where your CBS affiliate is located, that's the location that really matters for you. I live north of Cincinnati, but we get CBS stations from Cincinnati and Dayton. Sometimes that means we get to see two different games on CBS.

My Affiilate is Augusta, GA so I think I get the Patriots game tomorrow. I know I get the crappy Falcons on Fox. Those games are going to be a joke this year. Reminds me of the days when they won 3-5 games and when the 49ers and Rams beat the crap out of them.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Andrew
    Actually, I'm not convinced the Falcons are going to be all that worse off than if they still had Michael Vick. Even with Vick, they depended on their running backs and defense far more than their passing game. Yes, Vick's running was a threat that had to be accounted for, but I think his inaccurate passing was a gamebreaker more often than his running abilities. Joey Harrington's got much better players around him than he did back in Detroit. He's not going to put up Pro Bowl numbers by any stretch of the imagination, but he should be decent for them.

They're certainly not playoff contenders, but I don't see them dropping to the basement of the league, especially not in a still-weak NFC.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Go to a sports bar and watch all the games at the same time.

No, get the NFL Sunday Ticket and watch them all from your own couch!

The Colts looked better than I thought they would, especially on defense. This is how Indy usually starts their season. They've the last team to lose or one of the last teams to remain undefeated for the last few seasons. I think they're looking at another fast start. It's just one game and week 1 still isn't here yet, but things couldn't have gone much better for Manning and the Colts Thursday night.

"Dad, you killed the zombie Flanders!" "He was a zombie?"

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    But you couldn't watch them all at the same time unless you have six big screens.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Colander on the head... check. Ferrets... check. Imperial insignia... check. Pants... well, three out of four ain't bad!

Bar is cheaper than direct ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Kale View Post
    Actually, I'm not convinced the Falcons are going to be all that worse off than if they still had Michael Vick. Even with Vick, they depended on their running backs and defense far more than their passing game. Yes, Vick's running was a threat that had to be accounted for, but I think his inaccurate passing was a gamebreaker more often than his running abilities. Joey Harrington's got much better players around him than he did back in Detroit. He's not going to put up Pro Bowl numbers by any stretch of the imagination, but he should be decent for them.

They're certainly not playoff contenders, but I don't see them dropping to the basement of the league, especially not in a still-weak NFC.
    I think Warrick Dunn is out the first two games though. I just think they will have their problems, especially with Harrington. They should sign Leftwich, he is way better than Int Harrington.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Dunn is the starter. Playing. Unless he got hurt since the end of preseason.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast