Thread: 28 Weeks Later

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09

Movies 28 Weeks Later

28 Weeks Later is a movie missing all of what made 28 Days Later good. There is no hope in 28 Weeks later. It goes from bad ideas to bad results to the end of the world. Do not see this movie unless you feel like going listless for several hours. There is no good reason to see this movie.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    That's interesting. The reviews I've been reading so far have given the film high praise. I'm going to see it regardless, since I love 28 Days Later. I wouldn't want to miss the opportunity and I don't want to wait for a rental release. I'll get to see it sometime this week and will let you know if I agree with you on this or not. I hope it's the latter though.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Member of the Arbitrary Apostrophe Club
    Mmmmmm, DELICIOUS

I enjoyed 28 Days Later.

But when I heard about this, I almost wept tears. Not only did I not understand why they were making it, but...

No wait. That is it. I don't understand why they made it.

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    Dru, when I mean bad ideas, I mean bad ideas by the characters in the movie. It felt so much more contrived.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Ah, I see. Running up the stairs when they should be going out the door.

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    There are instances of that, and it is part of the problem but the whole plot bugs me, especially the way things unfolded.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    So is this futility along the lines of the Dawn of the Dead remake?

I don't mind a lost cause

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

I want to share my opinion of this film while this feeling is still in my stomach. It's that post-rollercoaster giddy exhilerated feeling. From start to finish, I absolutely completely loved 28 Weeks Later. This is what scary films are about; yes, there's always the little jumpy moments with the sudden loud noises that make you wish you didn't jump in your seat so much in front of your mates but the brilliance in horror films is sustaining tension. And this film is absolutely raw unrelenting tension.

About halfway in I turned to my mate, laughing with glee, and said: "Bloody hell, mate! My nerves are shot! This is brilliant!"

I'm sure my mate was sick of me by the end of the film.

Opening sequence: "That was F brilliant! Ha!"
    Then about every ten minutes: "F me! This is F awesome!"
    Afterwards: "F me! That was F unbelieveable! F loves it! Ha! F!"

Many horror films have their moments in which characters make decisions that make you think "D'oh!" This may have had its fair share but apart from one in particular, I really didn't notice. I was having too much of a good time.

And like all good zombie films(although technically these aren't zombies), this one is not without its political allegories. There are some truly shocking and disturbing moments that will stick with you. The acting was fine, the soundtrack was haunting, the imagery was stark and gripping, I liked the characters and I loved the tension: there were moments I wanted it to stop but I loved that it kept going. I'm not one of these folk who don't get scared or jumpy in horror movies, and I'm glad, because that's the best part. Suffice it to say, I had a thoroughly enjoyable night in the cinema tonight.