Thread: X-Men!

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny

Roleplay Related X-Men!

Yes, yes, I know, you and I both have too many characters as it is, but I have a real hankering to play some mutant-stylee characters for some reason. Just thought I'd put some feelers out and see who else might be interested in starting up our own little version of Xaviers School For Gifted Youngsters?

TheHolo.Net Poster

Sometimes I think about having you executed, just to see the expression on your face!

DragonCon 09
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Erin
    of course me, I'm always game.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Knew I could count on you

Tony Maxwell
    X-Men roleplaying is fun, but it has to be properly regulated as to now allow anyone with incredibly uber powers to go around trashing everything. Tis fun, though.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    I think we've all been roleplaying together long enough to know that none of us are silly enough to go nuts like that ... and if someone does slip and does something ridiculous, you can be sure that someone will point it out to them

Tony Maxwell
    Tis true. But the real question you have to ask when creating an X-Men RP is whether to allow Canon characters or not. Personally I think Canon characters work for awhile, but then they kind of get in the way when people start creating more and more original characters. Without Canons, though, it's hard to get the RP going, because then your missing part of the foundation. Makes for a rocky start, that's for sure.

Danni Reyok
    OOOH! X-men roleplaying sounds like fun!! I would like to take part in this.

Tony Maxwell
    Also: (I forgot to add this to my last post) if you do allow Canon characters would you allow All-Powerful mutants such as Apocalypse, Onslaught, and the Dark Phoenix, or, on a lesser scale: Xavier, Magneto, and any other incredibly strong mutants. Time Traveling mutants like Bishop and Cable can also make things confusing. Perhaps I'm getting a bit ahead of myself and rambling a bit. Tell me to shut up if I get carried away

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Doctor Jesus Terrible
    aka. The Bottomless Pit

Woot, I'd be up for it.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Sometimes I think about having you executed, just to see the expression on your face!

DragonCon 09

AKA
    Erin
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Maxwell View Post
    Without Canons, though, it's hard to get the RP going, because then your missing part of the foundation. Makes for a rocky start, that's for sure.
    Exactly. So maybe a few NPC's just to get things rolling, but on a majority scale; make your own mutant? :P I think its a snazzy idea.

Fiona Devlin
    oh wow, I've just been bitten.

edit - but seriously, much as I'd love to, I really need to keep focused on the characters I've got.

Gideon
    Hmmm. X-Men? But why stop there? Why not go for other Marvel aspects, such as X-Force, the other X-Factor experiments, the Punisher, Blade, Dr. Strange, Iron Man, Spider Man, Ghost Rider, Hulk, Thor, Daredevil, Electra, Captain America, Avengers, and.......and.....

*Head explodes Marvel*

All the other stuff?!

TheHolo.Net Moderator

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Dani
    I think the biggest concern will be copyright issues. So, I'm thinking there isnt going to be any option to be cannon characters. Same as it is with Star Wars.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Why not reply to the Rps you have going?

TheHolo.Net Moderator

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Dani
    I don't have time tonight, I'm studying for a test tomorrow and thought it prudent to actually don the mod hat

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Did I tell you about the time I stole fire from the gods? I couldn't fence it, it was too hot. I really got burned on that deal...

AKA
    Andrew
    You know what, I had considered broaching this very idea some time ago. I actually have a few X-Men type characters I was keeping around for such an occasion...

Are you talking about doing a single thread, or opening a whole new world of RP? Because there's definitely the material to rival what's already been done with WoD or WoW or WWE or whatever you've been doing over there in the General Roleplay forum.

As for the scope, my main concern is that the RP remain approachable by casual fans like me... my deepest interaction with X-Men is the X-Men Legends games. I think that'll be fine as long as the hardcore fans don't flood the threads with obscure references. We can build our own mythos within the Marvel universe the way we've done with the SW universe.

Honestly, I'd love to still have the Xavier Institute, even if we don't have any of the canon characters. The question then would be who's running it.

Tony Maxwell
    Without Canon characters you would need some willing roleplayers to take preset character positions within the Xavier Institute. Positions like Headmaster and Teachers. The same goes for the Brotherhood. You would need at least a Leader and possibly a sub-leader. But then we have to ask ourselves, where in Marvel history is this happening? Are we basing this on the storyline set up by the movies or the actual comic book storyline, or perhaps we could create our own parallel universe. If we do go with the actual storyline then what has happened to all the Canon characters? An ultimate battle between the Brotherhood and the X-Men that resulted in the death of every Canon character?

Gideon: Well, with no Canon characters all those other character's and storylines really don't matter. On some of the X-Men boards I've roleplayed on we had Ghost Rider, Punisher, Black Cat, and Doctor Doom as non-X-Men character's running around the place. Bloody good fun, really

TheHolo.Net Poster

Proof that not all people who draw anatomically correct anthropomorphic animals are furries. Or... is he?

AKA
    Mitch. Duh.
    Hmm, would it have to be limited only to the Marvel universe? Could it also include aspects from the DC U, Dark Horse and Image? And Dynamite, if you really wanted to go out that far?

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Did I tell you about the time I stole fire from the gods? I couldn't fence it, it was too hot. I really got burned on that deal...

AKA
    Andrew
    I'd tend to think that we'd want to keep the focus from getting too, too broad, and there's plenty of room in the whole X-Men good mutants vs. bad mutants vs. bad humans scheme for some good storytelling. We darned well better have Sentinels and anti-mutant troopers and all that good stuff.

As far as taking some inspiration from other comic book worlds, I doubt that'd be a problem, but I think the main conflict still ought to be about mutants and humans. That's what I find compelling about the X-Men universe, and I think it'd be better, at least when starting out, to keep the focus there and gradually branch off as the stories develop.

My two cents, anyway. Your mileage may vary.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    We could just abandon all association with Marvel entirely. I don't really like the idea of playing canon characters to be honest. Not just because of copyright, but because it's kind of boring and people also then need to know a whole lot about the characters they're playing - since they have vast histories and all.

We could just have a couple of people who want to be the teachers, then make up a basic story for the school, how it came together... and then just ignore the existence of the X-Men. Make our own enemies, whatever.

I prefer Kale's idea of sticking to just the mutant/human conflict, but of course everyone is free to RP whatever they want in General RPing. If you'd like to do something, so long as you aren't going to breach any copyright laws, go for it!

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast