Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The "Post what you're reading" thread

SW-Fans.Net Poster

DragonCon 09
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    Laboratory Manual for Comparative Veterinary Anatomy and Physiology By Phillip E. Cochran, MS, DVM.

What to Expect When You're Expecting, Third Edition by Heidi Murkoff, Arlene Eisenberg, and Sandee Hathaway.

Fairly boring things, really.

Dimitri Vojslav
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Valten View Post
    At the Mountains of Madness and other Stories- Howard Phillips Lovecraft

My new favorite author.
    Karl Valten - SWFans.Net Forums.

My new favourite person

Lovecraft is the master of modern horror writing. His unique blend of weird horror and science fiction leaves me cold and incredibly creative after reading one of his many short stories. I'm pleased to own the three compilations of his work, published by Penguin's 'modern classics' range. I'm currently reading through "The Thing on the Doorstep' and Other Weird Stories but have just finished 'The Call of Cthulhu' and Other Weird Stories and will be moving on to 'The Dreams in the Witch House' and Other Weird Stories after my current book.

After those (shan't take long, I zip through Lovecraft since I can't put him down - he's a heavy bugger though!) I'll be cracking on with Stephen King's The Dark Tower series, of which I have all 7 books. Simultaneously I'm reading Iain. M. Banks' novels (he publishes his science fiction novels with his middle initial, his fiction novels without it, such as The Wasp Factory).

Lion El' Jonson
    Michael Crichton - State of Fear (for class)
    Al Gore - An Inconvenient Truth (also for class)
    Hitoshi Okuda - The All-New Tenchi Muyo! (volume 1) (clearly NOT for class )

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    State of Fear is awesome. I highly reccomend it. I want to hear what you think about it, esp. with An Inconvenient Truth juxtaposed beside it.

Lion El' Jonson
    So far, I really love it. I'm definitely getting the picture that nothing in science is black-or-white, despite whatever public face the environmentalists and politicians put forth. Everybody is biased in one way or another, of course, but I sorta get the feeling (so far) that there is no middle ground.

So after a good 240 pages, I'm sold; State of Fear is awesome. An Inconvenient Truth is kinda...boring...but I don't think I can really discount any of the science in there either. Both sides make good points; there are anomalies that cannot be explained by current theories.

I'll just have to hope I can make up my mind by the end of these books.

Dimitri Vojslav
    Pratchett fans - I recommend Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. Its the funniest book I've ever read.

Basically the premise is that 11 years ago a group of Satanic Sisters working at a hospital mix up two families newborn babies - one of which happens to be the antichrist. An Angel and a Demon - God and Satan's respective representatives on Earth, having become good friends over the years and become accustomed to life on Earth with its cosy conveniences, decide to keep an eye on the young antichrist to make sure he never can bring about the End Times.

The whole idea of that grabbed me by the lapels and shouted READ ME, SEYMOUR!!! But once I actually got into it, the story, along with its little nuances and tidbits, kept me laughing well into the wee hours. Just a thought of some of the things in it are enough to make me laugh out loud.

If you're a Pratchett fan and haven't read it, do so now. If you HAVE read it, read it again.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    bumpity bump bump

I just read the graphic novel Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth. I think the artwork is done by one of the guys involved in the Sandman series. Very stylish and creepy looking, though sadly not very long.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I'm re-reading Jingo by Terry Pratchett.

I just finished reading Off Armageddon Reef by David Weber, and it is fantastic.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    I'm back onto Watchmen by Alan Moore now and loving it. I'm a real graphic novel kick at the minute. I guess it's just nice, since I'm coming to the end of my degree, to read something that amounts to more than several hundred pages of tiny black writing

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Finished Watchmen - oohhh what fun that was - and now I'm reading On Writing by Stephen King. I just had to share this quote:

"It is, after all, the dab of grit that seeps into an oyster’s shell that makes the pearl, not pearl-making seminars with other oysters."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I know Kung Fu, and orifices

AKA
    Charley
    Generation Kill - Devil Dogs, Iceman, Captain America, and the New Face of American War

SW-Fans.Net Poster

El Sombra by Al Ewing - My first read of a book considered dark fiction. I set it down for a bit when it came to a point where this kid ripped out his own eye, and then offered it as a gift. I've since continued reading it, and it's really good.

Drops of Corruption by Jason M. Hardy - Not the most exciting cyberpunk novel produced for Shadowun, but still a good story.

Dead Beat by Jim Butcher - Awesome. I shall say no more.

Alpha
    The Rise of Solamnia trilogy by Douglas Niles
    Twelve Kindgoms book 2 by Fuyumi Ono
    Mort by Terry Pratchett

Stern
    Conan the Cimmerian Robert E. Howard.

Banner Laverick
    The last book I read was "Dearly Devoted Dexter" - wonderfully sick serial killing I can't wait for the next book to come out in soft-cover. The last graphic novel I read was "Spider-man: Back in Black" <3

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Travis North View Post
    I have his new book arriving someday soon. Its being held up to arrive with a book I pre-ordered that doesn't drop until July, unfortunately.

Dead Beat was the first of that series that I read - it is so great! Butters and polka and dinosaurs and zombies!

Alpha
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilaena De'Ville View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis North View Post
    I have his new book arriving someday soon. Its being held up to arrive with a book I pre-ordered that doesn't drop until July, unfortunately.

Dead Beat was the first of that series that I read - it is so great! Butters and polka and dinosaurs and zombies!
    I literally had the first book in the series thrown into my lap a couple months ago. I tore those books apart. Butcher is an amazing author.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Jenny
    I just read Dog-Head by Morten Ramsland. It was a kind of surreal look at three generations of a Danish family, which I didn't think I was going to enjoy at first, but it turned out to be pretty entertaining. The bulk of the book revolves around anecdotes about the different members of the family, some of which are funny, others sad, but all creating a picture of a dysfunctional family... which the author seems to suggest is quite normal!

As an aside, I read it for a reading group that I've joined which meets at my city's Literary and Philosophical Society. I had no idea we had such a thing

Alpha
    Just finished March Upcountry and now working on March to the Sea. Once I finish that, I just got the first Jedi Twilight book.

Yeart Quenn
    Feast of Souls, by C.S. Friedman and Sword Song, by Bernard Cornwell

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast