Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Playoffs

Sports NBA Playoffs

Like many of you, I haven't been paying too much attention to the NBA playoffs. But Cleveland's stunning road win in Detroit tonight should open a few eyes. LeBron and the Cavs are now up 3-2 and have the defending Eastern Conference champs on the ropes. Meanwhile, the defending champion Spurs are on the brink as well. NBA Coach of the Year has introduced an interesting concept to Mark Cuban's Mavs; defense. The game has just tipped off and after watching Lost on Tivo I'll probably watch the second half.

Best part of the playoffs, Kobe is gone!

"Dad, you killed the zombie Flanders!" "He was a zombie?"

jediSamson
    UUGGHHHH, so tired of Lebron Hype could spit nails. 6'8 and can dunk big whoopppppp, can score 30 points on 30 attempts again, big whhoopppppp,The NBA is playing people for suckers on all the LETS let the next coming show out UUUGGGHHHHHH!!!!!! sorry , just can't stand false hype.. continue.

btw: Kobe is way over rated as well, Give me Derek, tim or nash any day.

end rant.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

The [original] Black Sheep of SW-Fans
    Mmm, cheap beer good!
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

Lebron hype - it's well deserved. He's what, 19, 20? He's just been in the Pro's for a couple of years, and he's holding his own, if not reshaping his team. He's an excellent player, but he definentally needs to focus more, but that comes with experiance. Once he's in the zone, there's nothing but 'lebron this' and 'lebron that', so I'd keep track of this kid and see how he developes, especially in the next few years.

JMK
    The NBA must love this. In a league where individual stars are bigger and more important than the teams (a concept I will never agree with or be a fan of), they must be over the moon that Lebron is on the verge of knocking off the champs. They must also love that the Mavs, all about flash and sizzle are also poised to knock off the 'bland, boring' Spurs.

I haven't followed the NBA in years, probably a decade even, and even though I think the Lebron story is pretty compelling, I'm still not that interested.

jjwr
    There is no offense intended with this but if your a fan of hoops and know about the game and have actually watched what Lebron does then there is no way you can think he's over-hyped/over-rated. He is incredible. Like him or hate him you can't deny what he's doing and how he's doing it.

I was too young to care about Jordan coming into his own in the 80's, to me this is just like that experience. Its lame to say it but as the commercials are saying, I'm a Witness.

Lebron doesn't just "dunk" or throw up tons of shots, he's efficient, he hustles, he works the glass and passes the ball. In the playoffs he's averaging 46.4 Minutes per game...think that about, games are 48 minutes long. Shooting 48%, scoring 31 per game, 6.3 assists and almost 8 boards a game. Only once in the playoffs has he taken 30 shots and that was last night.

As for the Mavericks, these aren't nearly the Mavs of the past few years, the flashy offense is gone and they are much more sound then they used to be. Very good and very dangerous team. They came within a missed putback last night of sending the Spurs home after 5 games.

I haven't been watching much myself, although I am hoping both Cleveland and Dallas win in game six, it would make a much more interesting playoffs, IMO. Too bad the Clippers are down 3-2.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Colander on the head... check. Ferrets... check. Imperial insignia... check. Pants... well, three out of four ain't bad!

Lebron beat the Wizards. Rah.

And don't hate on Kobe. Against the Suns he played masterful ball. Particularly that game 5 buzzer-beater of his. Spectacular.

jediSamson
    Originally posted by jjwr
    There is no offense intended with this but if your a fan of hoops and know about the game and have actually watched what Lebron does then there is no way you can think he's over-hyped/over-rated. He is incredible. Like him or hate him you can't deny what he's doing and how he's doing it.

I was too young to care about Jordan coming into his own in the 80's, to me this is just like that experience. Its lame to say it but as the commercials are saying, I'm a Witness.

Lebron doesn't just "dunk" or throw up tons of shots, he's efficient, he hustles, he works the glass and passes the ball. In the playoffs he's averaging 46.4 Minutes per game...think that about, games are 48 minutes long. Shooting 48%, scoring 31 per game, 6.3 assists and almost 8 boards a game. Only once in the playoffs has he taken 30 shots and that was last night.

As for the Mavericks, these aren't nearly the Mavs of the past few years, the flashy offense is gone and they are much more sound then they used to be. Very good and very dangerous team. They came within a missed putback last night of sending the Spurs home after 5 games.
    the fg % is completly and totally (or was at one time)tallied by the team, I/m glad someone broought this up. I was and have kept up now and then(when time allowed) on this VERY subject on a few of the games this year and the fg% that they have given on 3 games were off by the avg of 6 misses, yes they can not fudge the points but they can fudge the amounts of shots. Now, could it have been just human error?? sure, but I doubt it. Also keep in mind that when you run an Offense through anybody and they wil be the prime factor of the team and you will have the chance to have x amount of shots and x amount of assist Specially when other teams are giving you WAY!!!! to much credit and double teaming you, and also when the NBA is telling you to "take it easy and help make him look good"

ANYBODY (thats a decent player)could do what Lebron is doing if given the same situation(he's 21 )

And keep in mind that MOST of his fg% avg is dunks(very nice dunks) no doubt , but at 6'4-6'8 if you can't do great dunks well......You know that , your 6'6 and I'm sure you have done your share of double clutch rim banging dunks.

NOW MAKE NO MISTAKE, he has had a few really good games, but so has MANY players coming off the bench and they are just your avg everyday player. So anyway, people tend to believe hype, seen enough ball played, played enough ball to know talent. is Lebron good, Sure, is he great ROTFLMBO!!!! not even close.Lebron will go as far as the , ads, hype, media and sponsors will take him, better than avg talent not needed when you have those things going for you.But than again, thats my opinion, when he can do what BIRD, DUCAN (who's off this year) nash, and even magic, I'll be impressed of course I highly doubt he cares what any of us think

BTW: no offense taken, we all have what we perseve as fact in our minds

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    Then how come Scotti Pippen said year 3 Lebron is better than year 3 Jordan? Lebron is not hype.

LeBron's great, but Scottie's just plain wrong. Jordan Year 3 was better than LeBron right now. I'm pretty sure MJ's Year 3 was when he beat Cleveland with that clutch jumper over Ehlo. Jordan did have the benefit of playing under Dean Smith at Carolina so he had much more experience than LeBron. I think you can make an argument that LeBron at age 21 is better than Jordan at 21, but again, one's in his 3rd pro season and the other is still at college, so it's not a fair comparison.

I think the kid is amzing, but he reminds me more of Magic than MJ. He's a great passer and like Magic, he's a big man that can handle the ball like a point guard. Detroit and Cleveland are locked in a typical low scoring East affair right now, but Detroit looks awful. They shouldn't even be in this position. If this game keeps going back in forth I think Cleveland will be able to pull it out at the end.

And don't hate on Kobe. Against the Suns he played masterful ball. Particularly that game 5 buzzer-beater of his. Spectacular.
    Yeah, the way he pouted and refused to put up a fight in the second half of that game 7 was really masterfull. It was pathetic. You go out shooting, you don't pout and refuse to put up shots just because you want to send management, fans, or the media a message. Kobe will NEVER win another championship. People who want to elevate him above Jordan need to get a grip. Kobe wasn't even the best player on his championship teams! Shaq won every single one the Finals MVP awards when they won. Jordan won all 6 and the only time any other Chicago Bull could come close to laying a claim to that trophy was Rodman during the Seattle series.

Originally posted by Jedieb
    LeBron's great, but Scottie's just plain wrong. Jordan Year 3 was better than LeBron right now. I'm pretty sure MJ's Year 3 was when he beat Cleveland with that clutch jumper over Ehlo. Jordan did have the benefit of playing under Dean Smith at Carolina so he had much more experience than LeBron. I think you can make an argument that LeBron at age 21 is better than Jordan at 21, but again, one's in his 3rd pro season and the other is still at college, so it's not a fair comparison.

I think the kid is amzing, but he reminds me more of Magic than MJ. He's a great passer and like Magic, he's a big man that can handle the ball like a point guard. Detroit and Cleveland are locked in a typical low scoring East affair right now, but Detroit looks awful. They shouldn't even be in this position. If this game keeps going back in forth I think Cleveland will be able to pull it out at the end.

Yeah, the way he pouted and refused to put up a fight in the second half of that game 7 was really masterfull. It was pathetic. You go out shooting, you don't pout and refuse to put up shots just because you want to send management, fans, or the media a message. Kobe will NEVER win another championship. People who want to elevate him above Jordan need to get a grip. Kobe wasn't even the best player on his championship teams! Shaq won every single one the Finals MVP awards when they won. Jordan won all 6 and the only time any other Chicago Bull could come close to laying a claim to that trophy was Rodman during the Seattle series.
    I agree it was Shaq that won those titles for the Lakers. He is the reason the Heat are in the position they are in.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Colander on the head... check. Ferrets... check. Imperial insignia... check. Pants... well, three out of four ain't bad!

I'm not saying Kobe is MJ or anything close. But he is spectacular to watch, just ask Kwame Brown, Lamar Odom, and Brian Cook.

JMK
    The closest traits that Kobe has to MJ is the killer instinct. The desire to want the ball AND the confidence to know he will sink the winning shot. Where they differ, however, is that MJ did it to win. He did it for the rings. Kobe is doing it so that he can be acknowledged as being better than MJ. It's not for the rings, it's for Kobe.

Originally posted by Ryan Pode
    I'm not saying Kobe is MJ or anything close. But he is spectacular to watch, just ask Kwame Brown, Lamar Odom, and Brian Cook.
    I didn't mean to imply that you said that, but people like Marc Jackson have been throwing that around and I think they're way off. I do agree with you, he's spectacular, but I've hated the Lakers since I could talk so any chance to tear down Kobe is one I'm obliged to take. :evil

Two Game 7's coming up, they should both be sweet. I expect both home teams to pull them out. I like Duncan, Ginobli, Parker, and Pop and I'd love to see them get another ring.

I didn't mean to imply that you said that, but people like Marc Jackson have been throwing that around and I think they're way off. I do agree with you, he's spectacular, but I've hated the Lakers since I could talk so any chance to tear down Kobe is one I'm obliged to take. :evil

Two Game 7's coming up, they should both be sweet. I expect both home teams to pull them out. I like Duncan, Ginobli, Parker, and Pop and I'd love to see them get another ring.
    I don't they have won plenty. I am hopping for Miami at this point, if the home teams win the game sevens.

After all the drama we get the expected final in the East. The West is still up for grabs. After being down by as much as 20, the Spurs have battled back and the 4th quarter begins with the Mavs lead down to 6. This should be a good finish!

Unbelievable comeback by the Spurs and Dirk responds with a huge 3 point play. The Spurs will probably try to run down the clock and get a shot off at the buzzer. This game is probably headed for OT and this series deserves no less.

Unbelievable comeback by the Spurs and Dirk responds with a huge 3 point play. The Spurs will probably try to run down the clock and get a shot off at the buzzer. This game is probably headed for OT and this series deserves no less.
    Duncan should have took that shot before OT, because now it looks like Dallas will win, it becomes FT now.

Dallas won, they finally got over that hump. Now I would like to see the Clippers get there considering their history.

The big play was Dirk being able to get that 3 point play to tie the game. Stupid foul by Bowen, you should just let Dirk score when he gets the ball that deep. You still have a 1pt lead and they're going to foul you because you can run the clock out.

Dallas has waited a long time to get past the Spurs. Let's see if they can finally make it to the finals. In the East I think I'll be rooting for the Heat. I don't really care either way, can't say I got a strong feeling for any of the remaining teams.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast