Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112

Thread: Superman Returns (Theatrical Trailer Online!)

Originally posted by Droo
    I saw it at the first screening available today. I won't go into great detail yet. I'll wait to see it at least one more time, and I'll be definately going to see it in IMAX 3D in Manchester next week. You won't be suprised to hear me say this, but I do know when I will love a film and this is no exception: Superman Returns was perfect. I expected so much from it and it delivered and exceded on every level. The wait was worth it and the emotional pay-off was profound. I'm very very happy.
    I'm sssoooo glad to read that you loved it. There's nothing worse than having your hopes built up for something and then being disappointed in it...thank goodness your experience was anything but bad, and that it lived up to your expectations!

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    YAY HE LIKES IT!!

I had my hopes built WAY up for Timeline, but I should have known that they've never written a decent screenplay for a Michael Crichton book. Jurrassic Park was a good movie, but the book was waaay different. Anyway, I was so terribly disappointed by the movie I almost walked out.

Oriadin
    Saw the film on Friday and thought it was excellent, so saw it again on Sunday! I would have to give the film 9/10. The only thing the film really lacked was Christopher Reeve and since there isnt a lot you can do about it, this film was spot on for me.

The humour was excellent. The acting was excellent. The story was excellent. The effects were excellent.

There wasnt enough Clark Kent in it for me and I dont think Ruth managed to pull of the difference in character between Superman and Clark as I would have hoped but really, thats my complaints over.

The intro was fantastic. Great special effects and the origional music gave me tingles as I sat in anticipation for the film.

I loved the airoplane rescue, that was done perfectly. The part where Superman is being beaten up was extreamly well done. It was emotional, intense and you just willed him out of the situation.

My favorite part is very short and subtle. Its when Superman flew to space and just hovered above the earth. His cape out behind him and he just listened out for trouble. I loved that scene because it was incredibly powerfull and made it look like he was watching over us. It was a warm and comforting thought.

Not sure Im too happy about the kid being Supermans son, but at the same time it really worked for this film. When superman went to see him while he was asleep and repeated the words his father said to him, that was a really moving and iconic scene. Just worried about what that means for future sequals to the franchise.

Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
    ...but I should have known that they've never written a decent screenplay for a Michael Crichton book. Jurrassic Park was a good movie, but the book was waaay different.
    If you judge a movie's screenplay by how close it is to the book it'll rarely be any good. It would have been hard for the movie of JP could have been much closer to the novel unless it had been about 3 1/2 hours long. There have been a few of Crichton's stories that have been adapted well.

I'll agree that Timeline was not one of them.

Originally posted by CMJ
    If you judge a movie's screenplay by how close it is to the book it'll rarely be any good. It would have been hard for the movie of JP could have been much closer to the novel unless it had been about 3 1/2 hours long. There have been a few of Crichton's stories that have been adapted well.

I'll agree that Timeline was not one of them.
    Yeah that movie was horrible. Crichton's books have had bad luck really it being made into movies, maybe Westworld, Andromean Strain, Disclosure, and Jurassic Park are great ones.

Oriadin
    Just thought I would mention that I watched Superman IV last night and to be honest, I loved it!

It had been a while since I saw it last and I bought the box set recently and decided to work my way through them as and when I could. If you were to remove all the Nucular Man scenes, the film would be superb. Christopher Reeve shines superbly in this. Especially the scene where he and superman are supposed to turn up to the same "date". His acting as Clark Kent is simply perfect.

I think its highlighted how difficult Brendon Ruths job in trying to fill his boots actually was. I dont think he did as good a job at having a vastly different character between superman and Clark, but I think he took a slightly different direction. Not quite trying to be the same, but at the same time paying homeage to Reeve's take.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Colander on the head... check. Ferrets... check. Imperial insignia... check. Pants... well, three out of four ain't bad!
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

I tried to go see Superman today at 7 PM, it was sold out.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    SR is down to three showings in our closest theatre, one in the next closest. Looks like probably next week it'll be out of theatres around here.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    It hasn't done as well as expected in the box office, pretty much thanks to a much lesser fillm that I didn't dislike; and I still need to write up my take on this whole thing but I'm finding it hard to bring closure on it until a sequel is confirmed.

Pirates did hurt it. What is ironic is that X3 did better than SR by about 35-50 million. Of course, I think that is more because of the previous two films.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112