Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Superman Returns (Theatrical Trailer Online!)

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo

Superman Returns (Theatrical Trailer Online!)

It is no secret to say that I love all things Superman. To say that I am an avid manic obsessive Superman fan would be an understatement. So, you can imagine how I've been feeling, waiting through some 27 production blogs over the course of the year but more specifically this past week, having discovered that the teaser trailer would go online tonight. And it has and here is the link:

http://movabletype.warnerbros.com/supermanreturns/

Very teasing and very epic. This is the film I've been waiting for since I was a kid and thank God, they're getting it right. I'm over the moon!

And here's a link to the theatrical trailer:

http://movies.apple.com/movies/wb/su...tlr2_h.640.mov

And in high definition:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/supermanreturns/hd/

And now here's there International trailer:

http://pdl.warnerbros.com/wbol/uk/mo...rf3_qt_500.mov

jjwr
    Most impressive!!!

I was really hoping to hear the theme jump out at you but the more subtle theme they used from the originals worked just as well. Not as recognizable but some definite goosebumps once it got going.

Easily one of the best teaser trailers I've seen.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    It looks pretty good. Gave me goosebumps

I saw the trailer during Smalllville last night, and it did raise the hair on the back of my neck...but that was because they used John Williams's Krypton theme from the Richard Donner Superman and also Marlon Brando's voice. I doubt both of those things are going to be used in this new version, so I felt myself wondering...did they kind of cheat in this teaser by invoking the much beloved and revered version with Christopher Reeve?

Don't get me wrong, it was a very effective trailer, and it's going to be wonderful to see it on the big screen this weekend in front of Goblet of Fire, but I couldn't help but think they cheated just a little bit.

jjwr
    I was under the impression they were going to use the original score. The Brando voice isn't a big deal to me but if they uset hat Theme that alone will remind a lot of people

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Colander on the head... check. Ferrets... check. Imperial insignia... check. Pants... well, three out of four ain't bad!

According to IMDB, Marlon Brando is in the film as "Archive Footage" which means yes, hes in it.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    Summer Box Office Contest 2008 - Winner!
    Try the root stew, you will. Taste good, it does.
    DragonCon 09

Man, that was great. Its THE movie to look forward to next year for me

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Marlon Brando is playing Jor-El in this film.

To recreate Brando's version of the character in his new Superman movie, Singer said in an interview that he used "a combination of unused footage, [used] footage and recreated footage. You won't necessarily see Marlon Brando walking around or reanimated in a conventional sense, but you will hear [dialogue] that you have heard before [and] takes that you haven't heard before and a rendering that is completely new."
    The theme in the trailer is the Planet Krypton theme from the Donner film. The film being made is to be considered a sequel to Superman: The Movie and Superman II hence a lot of tie-ins. The main Superman theme will most definately be a part of this film. John Ottman will be scoring the film but there will be minimal tampering with the key character theme, thankfully.

This film isn't riding on the coattails of Donner's films but is instead treating them as the cannon origin tale for Superman.

I haven't been following the development of this movie all that closely, since I have my reservations about it, so I hadn't known about using Brando and the Williams themes. Knowing that now, it does make a little more sense that both are used in the trailer. It still feels a little bit like cheating, though .

Looks interesting. However a gripe I have so far is who they're getting to play the Man of Steel - I dunno, he doesn't look 'steely' enough to me. (I even heard a rumour that his suit had to have padding installed to 'bulk' him out a bit).

I think the trailer looked great. I like the casting as well. The kid looks like a much better Superman than some of the early casting rumors. I'm also looking forward to seeing the rumored Superman II SE. Even though it was a brilliant sequel, it got taken away from Donner early on. This SE is suppose to be closer to Donner's vision. Should be interesting.

Lance Casey
    Once I found out they gave Lois a son and created a son for White just to create romantic tension for the reurning Superman, I lost interest in the film. Instead of being a sequel to the 2nd movie, I would have rather seen a restart ala Batman Begins.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Originally posted by Atreyu, Champion of the Force
    (I even heard a rumour that his suit had to have padding installed to 'bulk' him out a bit).
    Those rumours did surface but have been pretty much silenced since some recent torso shots of Routh have been seen. He's muscular enough for it to be clear that he doesn't need padding in the suit.

Instead of being a sequel to the 2nd movie, I would have rather seen a restart ala Batman Begins.
    Why? Superman: The Movie created an excellent origin story that, in my opinion and that of most other Superman fans, is canon and undisputed - at least as far as cinema is concerned. There is no need to erase a solid foundation for the franchise and frankly, were Bryan Singer to do this, he would a) be wasting time retreading old ground(why fix something if it isn't broke?), and b) anger a large portion of the fans.

Batman Begins worked because the Tim Burton films didn't attempt to create an origin story other than a couple of motivational flashbacks here and there.

JMK
    So once and for all - does this new Superman movie follow the original Superman I or Superman II?

I believe it follows BOTH of them. So we're probably picking up on a Lois and Superman that did have the relationship we saw in Superman II. I agree with Droo, there's no reason to do another origin story. The first one was a classic.

JMK
    So really it starts at Superman 3? This should be considered as part 3?

There will probably be enough back story in this movie that it will feel like an original anyway.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Originally posted by JMK
    So really it starts at Superman 3? This should be considered as part 3?
    You can look at it that way. Either way, I choose to forget Superman 3 and 4 ever existed - which is an absolute shame because Christopher Reeve's performance never falters, despite crappy storylines.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Geoffrey
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Karagane Steam ID: Davendude
    I saw the trailer and I wasn't impressed at all. Infact I thought it looked lame. I've never been a fan of superman so thats probobly why I'm not excited like everyone else. I just think he looks like a silly panzy dude in tights and a cape. I think they should have tried revamping his costume to something totaly different, and throw out the tights for goodness sake.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Colander on the head... check. Ferrets... check. Imperial insignia... check. Pants... well, three out of four ain't bad!

Big no.

JMK
    Then they couldn't call it Superman. The guy is an icon, you just don't take a guy like that and completely blow the mythos of it out of the water just because he 'doesn't look cool.'

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast