Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Superman!

jjwr

Superman!

This info came from www.pvponline.com - its a comic strip about the staff of a gaming magazine, I quite enjoy it and read it daily and have read through the archives at least once.

Anywho, the guy that runs it is a big comic fan, and posted this with Today's cartoon.

Look! up in the sky...
    Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2004

As I type this, John Williams' Superman theme is playing over itunes. I'm celebrating because AIN'T IT COOL NEWS just posted a story about the new Bryan Singer helmed Superman movie. The news post contains three gems that tell me the new Superman movie is going to be worth my time:

1) Bryan Singer pitched his idea for the movie to original Superman director Richard Donner before pitching it to Warners. He got approval from the man who's film Superman vision he respected most before getting approval from the studio.

2) Bryan has casted an unknown to play Superman. They didn't go with some big name actor "just because." And the actor, Brandon Routh, is from Des Moines, Iowa. The guy's FROM Smallville.

3) When asked if he would be using the John Williams' Superman theme in the new movie, Singer replyed clearly and boldy "Yes! Definitely Yes."

Assuming its true all 3 are great news!!!!!! Especially #3, to me Superman needs that theme song!

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I might return to RPing if those scrumptious Gue twins would come back. Figrin Sandwich, am I right?
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

The first two are nice to hear, especially that it'll be an unknown playing Superman/Clark Kent. The third... ehh... I'm of the opinion that the score should be new, and avoid a lot of ties to Donner's films. Don't get me wrong, I love the theme that Williams penned for the Donner films... it's one of the most recognizible themes in movie history. But that's also part of the problem. The more aspects of the project that are tied to the Donner film, the greater tendency there will be for people to be critical of things that Singer decides to do differently from Donner, simply for the reason that it "isn't like the original."

I'd kind of like to see Singer approach Superman from a completely different angle... maybe he will indeed do this. Using William's Superman theme just doesn't fit with that ideal, though, and makes me more hesitant about the project.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    Summer Box Office Contest 2008 - Winner!
    Try the root stew, you will. Taste good, it does.
    DragonCon 09

I believe the part about the actor is correct, as it first appeared on IMDB.com

Without further delay, here is the next Superman:

JMK
    Let the "He's too skinny!" comments begin!

I like the look of him. Give him the super jerry curl and he'll work.

JMK
    I think he looks right for the roll too. A little too "OC" for my liking in that shot, but he will look right when suited up.

Cool I prefer an unknown. Cast the stars for Luthor and other characters. I still say Luthor should be Kevin Spacey he would do an incredible job. Not sure who should play Lois.

jjwr
    Superman looks good! They're obviously going for the young look.

As for too skinny....who knows how old the picture is, and as we've seen with Tobey I'm sure he'll be bulking up.

As for the Score, to me it needs that score to feel like Superman, I know it has the ties to the older movies but that song is Superman, to me it won't be right without it.

Even if they only use it for Trailers and opening credits and a totally new score for the actual movie then I'll be happy.

ReaperFett
    Cinescape says Lois is one of:

Mischa Barton (THE O.C.)

Charisma Carpenter (ANGEL)

Mia Kirshner (THE CROW: CITY OF ANGELS)

Evangeline Lilly (LOST)

Natalie Portman (STAR WARS: ATTACK OF THE CLONES)

Keri Russell (FELICITY)

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Out of all of those choices, I hope it's Evangeline Lilly.

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    From the pictures, I agree.

Shawn
    As much as I'd love to see Charisma Carpenter get some more work, I don't think she's very well suited to the role.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Anyone but Mischa Barton pleeeeeease.

ReaperFett
    Heyyyyy, Barton is a good actress! Not suited to Lois IMO, but not the worst choice in the world.

I'd go with Kirshner.

I go with Lilly she is a star in the making. I see that just from watching Lost.

And according to rumors it looks like that Singer is trying to get Spacey to play Luthor. That woudl be awesome. Spacey would nail that role.

JMK
    100%. That would be fantastic if he could nail him down for the role.

jjwr
    Whoo Spacy....excellent!

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    This really is looking up. Just goes to show what happens when a director of Singer's calabre and charisma takes on a project. They have to keep the original Superman theme, as much as it will be a tie to the Donner films there really is no other way of saying this than it is Superman's theme. The original trilogy of Star Wars were directed by different men, they kept the fanfare because it is definitive and the same goes for Superman.

Again, for James Bond, look at the variation that franchise has under it's belt yet the Bond theme remains.

We now have Lois Lane and Lex Luthor

http://www.superherohype.com/news/su...ws.php?id=2420

Keven Spacey is going to be Luthor. First that is awesome news he will do a wonderful job with the role. He is great playing villains. Now Kate Bosworth she does have the look (I don't think she is a natural blonde so that won't be problem). She is also a good actress so she fits. Now who else is going to be in the film? There have been rumblings for a while about Jude Law playing a villain. Rumor had it either the Tereance Stamp character from Superman 2 which wouldn't really make any sense. Or Metallo which would be a cool character as Luthor could use him to try to destroy Superman.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast