SW-Fans.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Nzat
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nikita Satach Steam ID: Nzat
    Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
    Loved it. The whole movie was like CMJ said, completely beautiful.

I loved the fact that in each version of the story the characters are wearing a different color scheme.
    Originally posted by Pierce Tondry
    To my mind, the was a corollation between the purity of the colors and the purity of truth in the stories.
    yeah, there was
    red == imagination
    blue == perceived reality
    green == enlightenment / peace
    white == truth
    black == death

A loooooong time ago when their was still the official site up (I can't find it now) I read that the director had someone camped out in the area where the leaves scene was to be filmed waiting for the leaves to turn the right color so they could know when to cruise to the location for filming.

The only other film I've seen of Yimou Zhang's is Huozhe (To Live) and that one just about broke my heart.

Drake Shadowstalker
    I still think it's one of the stupidest movies ever. Say what you will but everyone I know personally that has seen it doesn't like it.

Shawn
    Originally posted by Drake Shadowstalker
    I still think it's one of the stupidest movies ever. Say what you will but everyone I know personally that has seen it doesn't like it.
    Well if you and your friends think it sucks, it must be true! You've said your peace, now please stop.

Weren't you also the guy who thought AvP was the best thing since sliced bread?

Originally posted by Charley
    Weren't you also the guy who thought AvP was the best thing since sliced bread?
    I know it's "different strokes for different folks" but I laughed at that. AvP was like a fast food movie.

Drake Shadowstalker
    I merely stated that I liked it much better then Hero. But I like nearly every movie more thean Hero, so that isn't saying much.

Dutchy
    Now there's a Jonathan argument if I ever saw one.

Darth McBain
    Originally posted by Dutchy
    Now there's a Jonathan argument if I ever saw one.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine
    AvP was a disgrace of a movie. I'm a hardcore fan of the original Predator, and I have to say I was completely disappointed that Hollywood saw fit to "modernize" the Predators. The movie would have been so much better if they adapted the original AvP comic - It was much larger in scope and much more interesting.

About Hero, I haven't had a chance to see it yet, but I want to eventually. Everything I've heard about it indicates that while yes, heavy-handed in Commie propoganda though it is (I'm a Communist anyways), the cinemetography and whatnot are first-class.

Shawn
    Honestly, the communist propaganda didn't bother me at all. It's simply the beliefs that the characters held, and it even has its merits.

For an interesting take on the same mythology, check out "The Emperor and the Assassin". It's the polar opposite of Hero; Very little action, very slow, and it paints the Emperor in a completely different light.

Vice
    Dummest movie I ever saw in my life.A better movie was Chrnicles
    Of Riddick.I was dissapointed i thought that Hero was going to be good but it wasnt at all there wasnt one part that was good.I dont see how anybody can like thi stupid movie.

JMK
    That's a very intelligent post considering many people here have already explained why they liked it.

Vice
    I just didnt like it very much.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

I first picked up on something back in Seattle while still in college, and thought it might be relevent to mention with the subject matter of this thread. I'm not intending to insult anyone's tastes in movies with this observation, it's just my own opinion and that of my friends back in Seattle.

Anyway. Yes, I'm an anime fan, and yes, I love movies that are like Hero (which is why I really want to see it, it's just lack of funds that have prevented that atm). But it seems that alot of America is only interested in slick moves, big explosions, and inordinate amounts of action. Not that that's a bad thing; I like those too, but I also like the movies that really draw you in and move you - movies that address the more quiet, artistic, and thought-provoking aspect of cinema. One anime that I thought was very good at that was Evangelion. I know it's not many people's cup of tea, but for me, that whole series was wonderful (subbed, of course). It seems to me that alot of American audiences just aren't willing to put forth the patience to really think through a movie and try to come up with their own interpretations of what is happening. They want the explosions, the cussing, and the gunfire RIGHT NOW.

While I enjoy movies that are just plain fun to watch, I also like movies that really make me think. I like those long still shots and quiet moments in movies; to me, they help to add depth to what is happening.

I hope that makes some sort of sense

J'ktal Anajii
    I thought the color scheme was a little different than that. If I remember correctly, the Bhuddist rainbow says that green is the color of justice, blue is the color of grief, and red is the color of joy and/or celebration. In such a sense, we see that the green view is the ultimate form of what justice should eb served, the red is what he wants the Emperor to believe, and blue has the most tragic parts.

I have seen this movie twice, and already had seen The Emperor and the Assassin, so I had a decent knowledge of the subject matter. The first time I watched it I was left neither pleased nor disappointed, but watching it a second time was far more enjoyable. An excellent take on the format of Rashoman.

Anuis Ma'artra
    I think it also has alot to do with the amount of stress American's put on themselves. This isn't to say that other cultures don't have stress as well, but american's deal with it differently. Most cultures have some sort of ritual during the day that involves some sort of stress reliever, British have tea, Spanish/Latino's have siestas, commies have daily propoganda (j/k) but even though I'm generalizing here, it seems most cultures have a form of stress relief in their daily ritual, we have our entertainment. We dont' want to think, we don't want to watch a movie and say "geez, that was something I hadn't ever really thought about" most of us just want to see something that doesn't happen in real life because it's an escape from all the bad stuff that happens in our daily routine.

ehh, at least that's my opinion.

Hero rocks!

Gav Mortis
    The British have tea? I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the trainwreck that is your logic process on what you've just said. You've lost the plot, I'm afraid. Seek help.

Anuis Ma'artra
    Yes you have tea, its in all the movies I see and that must make it true!!!!!!

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

What is it, Lt. Sebastian?

Well, it's the Rebels, Sir... they're here.

Good God man! Do they want tea???

Sarr Koon
    Originally posted by Vice
    Dummest movie I ever saw in my life.A better movie was Chrnicles
    Of Riddick.I was dissapointed i thought that Hero was going to be good but it wasnt at all there wasnt one part that was good.I dont see how anybody can like thi stupid movie.
    Thank you, sir. Finally someone on this board who sees things the way I do. Chronicles of Riddick is cool

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast