Side Plot: Yevetha

1. Park Kraken
    Park Kraken
    So over the past couple of days I've becoming increasingly excited and inspired to bring the Yevetha into the fold in a more limited but drastic scale, if that makes any sense.

To take advantage of a distracted Empire to expand their territory and inflict further bleeding upon the Imperials to impart partiality between the Empire and the Alliance, whilst ultimately being crushed in a potential alliance between the Imperials and the Chiss. The thing I'm looking forward to the most in writing them is both the manner in which they assimilate and improve upon the technology of others and the cruelty in which they deal with those they feel beneath them, which is pretty much everyone else. I could see a potential alliance of convenience between the Ruuk and the Yevetha, in a manner of "You tear up your portion of space and we'll tear up ours", but not much more without one wanting to become dominant over the other in a relationship which neither would allow.

In terms of backstory and how they could be brought into the fold as a credible threat, I was thinking that when the Imperial Blockade of Corellia began that they shuffled around assets in order to provide the ships necessary to maintain the blockade and in the end this meant drawing down drastically Black Sword Command or whatever fleet is stationed in the Koornacht Cluster in the 'Fans timeline. In 10 ABY the Yevetha stage an uprising and capture the remaining Imperial assets in the system, consisting of 1-2 shipyards and a star destroyer or two, later listing them as lost in transit to another system due to an accident or sabotage by Rebel Agents, with an investigation turning up no conflict evidence. That provides a 2 year grace period for the Yevetha to build up their own Starfleet, including their historical Armadia class Thrustships with perhaps 1-2 new designs I've been working on.

The design of their defeat, which I envision as coming much sooner than the Ssi-Ruuk, comes in a short series of climatic battles as the Empire has no patience for fighting a two front war on a long term. Unfortunately for the Yevetha, reinforcements from the top portion of the Empire heading to the front lines get sent their direction instead, with a Chiss Expeditionary Force forcing a quick campaign to N'Zoth and the collapse/surrender of their government.

A lot of Imperial ships are destroyed and lives lost however, hindering the campaign against the Ssi-Ruuk and weakening the Empire further.
  2. Captain Untouchable
    Captain Untouchable
    As far as the Corellian Blockade goes, I don't think that quite jives with the intent behind it, unfortunately. When the Treaty was signed, the Empire sacrificed half of its territory, but it still has most of its military - hence the significant imbalance in conventional forces between the Empire and Alliance. The idea was that even with a border to secure, the Empire has more ships than it knows what to do with, and so the Corellian Blockade was an overreaction, something that the Empire did because it had the resources available to take the heavy-handed approach, not because it "had" to. If we were to tweak things so that the Corellian Blockade was more difficult to establish and involved diverting resources from elsewhere, I don't think that quite gels with the idea of the Blockade being an over the top exercise in excess. I don't think it quite jives with the idea of Delgado Xaanan potentially sending resources from the Blockade to help on the Ssi-Ruuk front: if there weren't enough extra ships to fill in the gaps, Delgado would have his military transferred away to other commands, the Blockade would end, and we'd lose one of the structural pieces of the Corellia setting.

It's possible that the Yvetha could have had an uprising while the Treaty was being negotiated, and declared independence the way that Mandalore did: that would make it a sovereign territory within Imperial borders for the last two years. That might not jive with the Yvetha going unnoticed, though: I imagine the Empire pays attention to it's neighbours with a considerable degree of paranoia.

What would be the purpose of bringing the Yvetha into the story, though? My worry is that a fight with the Yvetha will cater mostly to the same group of people who will be writing the Ssi-Ruuk space battles. We're barely three posts into this new story arc, and the prospect of splitting people's attention between two different conflicts seems unwise at this early stage. Aside from getting to write as the Yvetha themselves, how would threads relating to this conflict be different from Ssi-Ruuk threads? Will it cater to a different set of people, or are we at risk of creating a distraction that slows down the pace of posting and makes everything grind to a halt before it even gets going?
  3. Charley
    Charley
    I’d really rather not fracture this into a Yevethan conflict, not unless we are hitting saturation with the Ssi-Ruuk war and need an outlet
  4. Park Kraken
    Park Kraken
    All good points and so this project shall be shelved until further notice.