View RSS Feed

Loose Threads

Between Two Interrogation Droids: Wei Wu Wei

Rate this Entry
I recently was able to sit down with the Force Cripple himself, Wei Wu Wei, for an in depth conversation. Below is a transcript of our interview on...Between Two Interrogation Droids

What is your main motivation to get up in the morning?

My main motivation to get up in the morning is...well...the morning itself. Breakfast is a great reason to enjoy a morning! Also, the air is cool and clean! Who wouldn't want to wake up for that?

Do you have any living relatives?

I'm afraid I have no living relations. The Empire killed them all some time ago. But then, in the end, there is no Death. There is the Force.

You have had more than a few run-ins with Palara Iscandar. What can you tell me about your relationship with her?

Mostly, my relationship with the Inquisitor is "hunter and hunted." Mostly she hunts me, but I have so far managed to keep myself from becoming her prey.

What do you think is most important when it comes to rebuilding the Jedi Order on Ossus?

Temples and buildings are fine--I'm working on creating a Lightsaber Forge myself--but honestly, the key to rebuilding a strong Jedi Order is in the philosophical foundations, not the physical ones. A deep and thorough understanding of the Jedi Code, the Force, the Light Side, and the Dark Side will carry the order much further into the future than the physical trappings of days long past.

Do you think you will take a padawan of your own?

I think I will, one day. Maybe even tomorrow! All a Padawan has to do is ask!

If you could give advice to a Jedi who has lost their way, what would it be?

For the Jedi who are lost, I will tell them what helped me when I was lost: feel your pain, recognize your loss, and accept that what was, is no more. Then breathe. Focus on what is. What remains. Then breathe some more. Focus on it until all you can hear, all you know, is the sound of your own deep, slow breaths. When you don't even notice that anymore, then your mind will be clear. That kind of daily meditation helped me immensely on my way. I hope it helps others, too.

And now some questions for the man behind the character:

How long have you RPed Wei Wu Wei?

I have RPed Wei Wu Wei since I joined the forums in 2002

What do you enjoy the most about writing him?

I love that Wei is flexible, and takes things as they are. He accepts his limitations, his circumstances, but still does what he has to to get the job done.

In what way is Wei like you, and how is he different?

Wei and I are like in that we both have near-limitless patience. We are dedicated in what we do, and we both have a high-degree of self-awareness and self-knowledge. We're different in how we manage our emotions, though. Sometimes I listen to angry music, or play a game to blow off steam. When Wei feels his emotions run high, he usually mediates or practices drills.

Do you make any writing/stylistic choices for Wei that make him distinct from other characters that you write?

I try to write Wei as relaxed most of the time. Content, calm. During Wei's return as a Jedi, he was none of those things, but I wanted there to be moments where it began to happen, and show how Wei's power could flourish as a result. It's that calm that I feel marks him out as a singular Jedi, and so I try my best to include it in all my threads where I write Wei.

Share something about Wei not many people may know?

Wei's full name is taken from a principle of Taoism called "Do without doing." It's a concept in which someone accomplishes something the most effectively, but with the least effort.

Submit "Between Two Interrogation Droids: Wei Wu Wei" to Digg Submit "Between Two Interrogation Droids: Wei Wu Wei" to del.icio.us Submit "Between Two Interrogation Droids: Wei Wu Wei" to StumbleUpon Submit "Between Two Interrogation Droids: Wei Wu Wei" to Google

Tags: ic interview Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Interviews , IC

Comments

I love this insight into Wei's head. The Taoism connection is revealing and apt. It's given me something new to learn about. And now I'm very curious to read some of Wei's earlier threads, when he was not so placid and patient.