• Tear's Author SPLOT#1: Hera/Estelle

Author Splotlight: #1: Jenn - Hera/Estelle
    This will be the first of (hopefully) many author spotlights I will be doing on various members. A little behind the scenes snippits to shed some light on why we do the things we do.

And since she's my main writing partner in arms. I present my first(ambushed) guinea pig. The Jenntinni.

---

Just to start off, would you please state for the court your name (First name only we don't need any stalkers) and the characters you play on these boards?

My name is Jenn and I write these characters-

Hera DrenKast (Sith)
    Estelle Russard (Alliance-Special Ops)
    Adelaide Kasperian-Kazaar (Independant)
    Bambi Maddox (Black Nebula Assassin)
    Jason Russard (Businessman, Independant)
    Old Man Russard (Businessman, Independant)
    Eliessa Corta (Judge, Imperial Judicial Dept)
    Sheree Lancaster (Scientist, Independant)
    Tavish Laird (Alliance-Special Ops)
    Henry McDonnaught (Alliance Pilot, Rogue Squadron)
    Harlequin (Jedi padawan)
    Kajeela Tarruurri (Cizerack, Detective)
    Jonas T. Remkah (Detective)
    Mirko Spendrim (Alliance Informant)
    Morag Prime (Sorceress)
    Dakota Gue (Out Of Character only)

When did you first start writing? Was writing something that's always interested you?

Creative Writing has always been an interest of mine. I took some courses all through high school but then never really pursued it from there - got married, had a family. I got a bit too busy for it, you could say.

I first started writing on the SW forum boards about ten years ago. Stumbled onto it when chatrooms were a craze. I went on line to see what
    these rooms were, but didn't know where to begin. I clicked on the list that said Interests, and selected Star Wars (who doesn't love Star Wars?) and there were all these people writing as Characters there. From there, I skipped over to the boards and left the Chat rooms behind. Stories and story-telling have always been exciting to me. I am never without a book and usually carry one with me in my purse everywhere I go.

Where do you seek most of your inspiration?

My inspiration to write something always gets ignited when I watch a good movie or TV series. The made-up world always fires up my imagination.
    But my inspiration as to story ideas, or characters, usually comes from music. A line in a song, a turn of phrase, or even the music and instruments themselves set my mind working. Also, sometimes, my environment inspires me too. The mountains in the morning, or the woods with a hanging fog, sunlight on the river (I see all this on my commute in the mornings) and I can just picture a scenario, or characters in this setting. Ive written a couple of threads specifically from this imagery.

I also get inspired from greek or roman mythology and now and then from Shakespeare plays. That stuff is crazy-good and very colourful as to human nature.

A similar question, what are the biggest influences on your writing?

Probably my watching so many Joss Whedon series. I think I pilfer from his style a lot when I picture different scenes that I write. His characters all bring something to the table, no matter how small the role they play. No one is superfluous. He also tosses in some humor right alongside the serious and dark moments and I find I often do that.

Another big influence is my favorite Authors George R.R. Martin and Janny Wurts. They both write in the fantasy genre, but their characters are so very human and so relateable. I try to humanize (ie flaw) all my characters so that they can be identified with. Everyone has Weaknesses - thats my writing motto

All these writers give their characters certain contradictions and I try to do that too - for example, Mirko who is a little weasely-type, knits and crochets and is quite sensitive, Harlequin is a Jedi yet has terrorist leanings, or Estelle who is upper society and well-bread yet loves cheeseburgers and double desserts and partners up with the most violent Rebel the Alliance knows.

What story or thread or series of threads are you most proud of? Why?

I would have to say my stories with Estelle and Kazaar (authored by Taylor). They have a wonderful partnership and have accomplished, and lost, a lot together over the many years we have been writing them.
    I'm also proud of the Russard dynasty, the two Jasons.

However, I think some of the best things I have written are from Hera, The Devil in the Details thread series especially. Her capture, interrogation and long imprisonment by the Inquisitoriate and even before that, before the ReSet, where she was apprentice to Ogre and the Mistress of ShadowFaene. I think I write her the best, for some reason. Perhaps because she was my first creation and her character and nature are crystal clear to me.

A couple of threads that stand out for me too are the "Appointment with Atrapes" thread (Eliessa Corta) and the "What's Past is Prologue" the killing of Kimiiki Crei thread (Adelaide).

Along the same note. Are there any events or stories being planned that you're eager to see begin?

Well, I am eager to see the Toxicity series end! Only because there are a few things yet to come out from that storyline and it would be fun to get it all done. In progressing the series, we realize other events with Russard, Kazaar, Mili and Christobal. Im looking forward to that.

This is sort of related to the above. But is there a story you think about all the time but have never been willing or able to write?

Ive always wanted to write Hera in a committed relationship, but it has never been appropriate as she is so completely selfish that her very own nature makes that scenario an oxymoron. I knew for her to be with someone, it had to be a self-serving scenario and not a sentimental romantic thing. There has been a time or two where this was looking like a possibility, but it never panned out. I think I have finally found that dynamic with Tear. I am going to enjoy managing Hera in this new setting with Tear, who is as selfish and dark and even more twisted than she is.

Are there any threads that you've done in the past which have died that you wish could have finished?

Um, that's stretching my brain now. There are likely many, but the beauty of writing at SWF is that you can write your way around and over things if you have to. Sometimes writing partners are absent for a long time, but if you are creative enough, you can still move your characters forward and have some things remain 'open-ended.'
    I would have liked to finish "A Memorable Evening" come to think of it.

Do you remember what your very first story on these boards were?

No, I cant, but I do remember a fight thread with Master Yoghurt and another with Jedi Boricua that took place in the early days. (Pretty sure I recall winning both) hahaha! Not really - they both pounded me soundly.

You're a fairly prolific writer. Being involved in a number of threads even threads that span several arcs/chapters. There are threads that are very apparent where you are the creative juggernaut behind the story and others where you've just been tossed into the thick as one of many in an ensemble. Which do you prefer? Are you better writing on your heels as someone spins a plot and world around you? Or do you more enjoy being at the helm driving the creative momentum?

That's a good question. I enjoy both, but I think I'm better at writing on my heels, as you say. I am a better Improviser than I am a Planner. I'm like that in life too. I know I have an end-point or a general goal I want to get to, but the getting there is not all worked out in minute detail. I like to 'react' to what others write or do and I find my response comes as soon as I start typing. Sometimes I think it through, but usually I don't know what the character is going to say until I hit "POST."

I know this will be like asking which child is you're favorite but who is your favorite character?

That is hard. Other than Hera and Estelle who are both ranked the favorites, I think I have to say Adelaide. I like what she has been through, the losses she has suffered and the mess she is in.

I like the way she arrived at SWFans - a surprise to everyone, especially her ex-husband who had no idea I was creating her.
    I like the road she is going down, trying very much to normalize her life and herself and not realizing that it is an impossible task. She is damaged goods, well and truly, and those who get close to her are going to bear the collateral from that.

Similar question but totally different. Who is your favorite character to write?

Hera, hands down. And then the Russards, the Old Man especially.

Would you ever want to write another author's character on these boards? If so who?

I have always wanted to do a Fan Fiction of SWFans characters. Sometimes Ive thought of asking the writers at SWFans if they wouldn't mind their characters being included for me to write them in a story, but Ive always decided against it for the fear of not doing them all justice. It would be fun to try just on my own private desk, though I think.

As for wanting to write one specific character, again, the whole not doing them justice is the issue. However, it would be fun
    to be in Victor Crestmere's headspace for a while.

Finally, if you are a new comer to these boards it can be tough to get started. What sort of advice would you give to trying to break into the scene on the Sw-fans boards?

I would suggest partnering up with one or two other Characters already at the boards, get a writing buddy - that way you can build a history together through threads that you do.The best thing that happened to Estelle was partnering with Kazaar for example. My best successes are when I link my characters up to someone else. It can be a friendly partnership, or one of enemies striving to thwart each other, anything you like, but at least you have some direction and purpose for your character. Everybody needs Somebody - another writing motto
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Tear's Author SPLOT#1: Hera/Estelle started by Tear View original post