PDA

View Full Version : House of the Cat Lady

Roxane McDonnell
Jun 21st, 2019, 09:51:32 AM
The days following her encounter with Nara had been busy and difficult for Roxane. The change of Priyo made her less and less sociable by the day; but with the new ally and band in town, she couldn't afford to take much time off. She knew ways to go around her issues after such a long life, but it didn't necessarily make it easy. When she could escape the world she loved surrendering to her dark practices and hone her mystic side, plot some revenge that might never happen but that still tasted bloody good in her mind.

No matter what, she had made a promise besides hiring Nara and her band. The Bastet was a woman of her word. She had driven to an old cottage outside of London the previous night and had only come back in the early afternoon to the Moonstone Cafe, a couple of hours before Nara and her crew would show up. She had caught up with Lila and checked on with the other employees how things were going. Thankfully Lila was a gem who kept things running smoothly, and she knew about Roxane's conditions, for she had chosen to let her know when Lila had kind of become her right arm or second in command, even though that sounded either very old school or just obnoxious. They both used those terms and were fine with it, so it was what mattered.

Roxane then disappeared into the small office she kept at the back of the establishment, closer to the bar and music scene than to the front. Once there, she shifted into her cat form (https://i.pinimg.com/750x/b8/d3/65/b8d3653c4dd523b84b3c839e2a8ace29.jpg). It helped her feel grounded when she was unsettled. She was better than the previous day, but she could use all her energy for spending time with Nara and help her and her band check the place and figure things out, especially since Isabelle was still in France for a while.

Sneaking outside her office, she went to wander into the front of the Moonstone Cafe, jumped on a few tables, headbutted a couple of regulars who always marveled at her cat look. It was a little bit of ego fluffing but she didn't care. She stretched her ears out when she heard Nara's voice at some point, and watched her and her crew come inside from afar.

When she saw Nara speak to Lila, she moved and walked to Nara, meowing at her to catch her attention. The strong Galliard scent to her cat nose went against her desire to be close, but she knew how to quiet this side of her. Back in the day when she stayed with Cormac and other Galliards, she used to sleep in her cat form at night, the uncanny feline in the camp, because it kept her warmer and had helped have fewer nightmares.

Nara McKenna
Jun 22nd, 2019, 09:56:38 PM
The band was ecstatic that Nara's lead panned out, though Kevin tried to convince the lot of them that he knew it was going to work out all right. He was the loudest naysayer about the visit to the cafe, believing that Nara's immortal friend wasn't in her right mind so how could they trust Michele's information? He wasn't wrong with that assessment - Michele's heart was raw with loss, but the Garou was confident that her friend had her best interest at heart. Poking her nose around other Garou friendly areas had solidified that Roxane's establishment was the right place for them to start getting their name out. Of course the promise that Nara made to the Bastet drove that decision - the oath awakening a primal instinct in the Fury that had remain dormant for centuries until her birth.

Things moved quickly once Esoterica was in agreement on seeing the venue. They found two flats for rental that were within their budget, her kin working leads on regular jobs to supplement the money they were going to make at the club. She was a bit wary about that since nothing had been agreed upon yet, but Nara had a good feeling about the club. Worse case, she could call on favors from the local Black Fury tribe but that would only be used as a last resort.

Her kin were highly adaptable, always managing to find work - that faith was not lost here in London.

"Aww! Look at the pretty kitty!" cooed Vicky as she spied the cat, unawares that was their host! The other three members of the band looked over at their squealing kin.

Nara momentarily broke her attention away from Lila and their non critical conversation about scones, to see what the commotion was about. She fought a grin, amused at the sight of her bassist giving the feline scritches behind its ears, well aware of who that was. Those eyes were burned into her memory the moment she first saw them - that brief moment that Roxane's control slipped. The klaive hidden in her jacket pulsed with magic as if coaxing Nara to remember her oath. As if she needed reminding.

Tongue in cheek, Nara turned to lean against the counter. "Pretty kitty indeed."

Roxane McDonnell
Jun 23rd, 2019, 02:10:07 PM
Roxane observed all the band members, even though she had given her attention to Nara first. Even though they had met only a few days ago, the oath given and the ancestral tie between them made Nara's scene one so easy to recognize, whether in human or cat form. It was rare for the Bastet that such a connection happened in such a short amount of time.

She was very much enjoying getting attention from that other girl musician. She found feline delight in being called a pretty kitty. It was funny how her mood could swing in certain ways depending on what shape she was currently using. Her feline form allowed for both a good clawing of an idiot, or fancy compliments.

She walked to Nara and gave the feline equivalent of a grin as she headbutted her ankle, wrapping herself around it, catching the attention of the whole band. She purred at the Galliard before scampering off towards the back area where they would be able to check the venue.

She briefly paused and looked at Nara, before making an escape for a nearby hallway. It was time for her to return to the land of human-looking people.

Nara McKenna
Jul 5th, 2019, 10:04:34 AM
Nara watched in delight at Roxane's show of feline affection, creating a warmth within the Garou that she dismissed as anything more than the usual feeling one gets when an animal gave you a friendly greeting. She smiled at the retreating feline but before she could instruct her band to follow, Vicki chimed in.

"Aww, no fair. Animals always love you."

"Well, not that much since the cat ran off." Paul chipped in a bit snarky. He was still acclimating to the time differences and hadn't slept proper since the night before their plane left Chicago. He'd been trying to find his groove with his instruments but the keyboard and guitar were being stubborn - which was really just his attitude. He understood why they were here, but it was a difficult adjustment.

"More of a trot," observed Kevin, the band's drummer, bringing his index and middle finger up in demonstration as to how the cat ran off.

Ethan munched on a muffin and looked bemused at Nara. She was looking distant and the guitarist wondered what was going on in that head of hers. Nara hadn't been herself since the Garou ended things with Brigid ...

"To clarify it was a trot. And it was our host we shouldn't keep waiting." She got off the counter and headed towards the back. "Come on."

The four of them exchanged confused looks, though Ethan's lips were tinged with powdered sugar when he shrugged. They quickly followed behind her into the adjoining room. There were murmurs among the group about how it reminded them of their usual venue back in Chicago. They liked the intimate ambiance and scouted the stage, debating on how to best set up.

Nara drowned them out, eagerly searching for Roxane - as cat or human ...

Roxane McDonnell
Jul 7th, 2019, 09:35:47 PM
It was only a few quick minutes before Roxane appeared in her human form, now wearing a teal relaxed dress (https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/harrypotter/images/1/10/Natalie_Dormer.png/revision/latest?cb=20181217204536) and black boots. Her slightly untamed blonde mane fell loosely over her shoulders. Not only did she favor practical clothing whenever shifting, but she also didn't want to make her guests and new artists wait too long.

She smiled when she saw the musicians look around the venue area of the Moonstone Cafe. She was eager to hear them play. She loved the idea of having other preternatural perform here. Of course she had had a few humans and didn't shun them out; but she still considered her establishment a haven for people of her kind.

Yet her attention drifted naturally towards Nara, who must have been waiting for her, given how the Galliard was looking in her direction the moment their eyes met.

The Bastet was still wrapping her mind around how they had established such a connection in such a long time. It had stayed on her mind since they had parted ways only a few days ago. She had been too much for most of her life, and being one of the very last of her kind for centuries, had made her unlikely to forge deep bonds, also due to her changing moods, which weren't something she chose to go through, but the plight of her nature.

"Hello," she said as she walked up to Nara, her smile widening.

"Thanks for showing up with your band," she added.

She waved to everyone.

"Hi all, I saw moments ago you enjoyed our pastries. I hope the venue is up to your liking as well. Does anyone need more to drink or eat while we chat? I'll personally stay away from the cat food for now!"

The last part was in jest besides freely confirming she was the cat who had greeted them upon arrival.

Nara McKenna
Jul 8th, 2019, 07:57:06 PM
Paul's mouth went slack at Roxane's appearance. He was almost on the verge of drooling. "Nara! You didn't say how gorgeous Roxane was! I mean you - Oof!"

He was cut off from saying anything else that was terribly blunt or incriminating for the Garou, by a swift backhand against his chest. He rubbed at the spot, casting daggers with a look towards his friend.

"Sorry. Paul forgets his filter," explained the Garou with a wave of her hand. "As in, he doesn't have one."

The irritation at her kin's behavior eventually smoothed away the crinkles on her forehead, delighted to see Roxane again. "I'm glad you can all finally meet."

When Roxane waved, Vicki and Ethan waved back with a quick tilt of their hands by the wrist, Paul gave her a polite, but disgruntled, nod while still rubbing his chest. Kevin had his arms crossed and was not impressed - until their host confirmed that she was the cat. Then he smile ever so slightly.

"Wow! That's ... that's amazing." Vicki beamed and tucked tuft of blonde hair behind her ear looking a bit shy, her words trailing off. "Hope you didn't mind the pretty kitty comment..."

"Holy shit!" Paul unfortunately found his voice again. " I didn't know Bastet could come in house cat!"

Nara cringed and felt her face flush with embarrassment. She wanted to desperately shift to wolf, tuck her tail between her legs, and run.

Roxane McDonnell
Jul 9th, 2019, 02:17:42 PM
That one guy, Paul as Roxane learned quickly, would almost need a bucket if she wanted her floors to remain clean. She couldn't help grinning at Nara's backhand smacking against his chest. She gave a thankful nod to the Garou, even though she had heard much more offensive remarks.

"I can see the lack of filter. Paper napkins are behind you, Paul. And if you require an actual bucket, I can show you where the cleaning closet is."

She returned her attention to Nara and nodded to her words about all of them meeting.

"I look forward to hearing you perform together."

She was happy with Vicki's reaction that she was the cat. She chuckled and dismissed her concerns about being called a pretty kitty.

"I liked it, so please don't worry about it. It fluffs my feline ego," she replied with a wink.

She walked up to Paul when he talked about domestic cats. She almost hissed at him, although it wasn't completely aggressive.

"I can be domestic when I choose to. Also, I make great use of my scratching posts to keep my claws sharp, and I'm still a damn good hunter with strong teeth."

Nara McKenna
Jul 9th, 2019, 09:12:26 PM
Ethan snickered, covering the amused grin with the back of his hand. Paul and his big mouth often was a source of amusement for the band. He just didn't know when to quit and if it weren't for his status as kin, the verbal abuse he received would have physical connotations as well. Roxane's threats were nothing new, but Nara did find the Bastet spin on them rather endearing.

Vicki, on the other hand, was practically preening with that wink before she, and the rest of the band, shrunk back at the ferocity that Roxane exuded as she reprimanded Paul for the second time.

Nara enjoyed the performance. Roxane was a fierce entity that had all claw and bite behind her words. Almost like a goddess with her shimmering blonde hair cascading along her shoulders, partially illuminated by the stage lights that were turned on for the band's benefit.

She blinked when Kevin pat her shoulder, catching that the Garou was staring at Roxane with attentive eyes that should've have strayed long ago. She gave him a puzzled look but he shook his head.

"Think you need to save, Paul. Again."

Nara agreed with a disgruntled nod before looking at Paul. He was backed against a chair with a twitching cheek at Roxane, eyes frantically looking for sharp teeth or claws to come out to attack him.

"Ethan." Nara was happy her voice came out strong and playful despite her throat becoming surprisingly dry. "Why don't you take Paul on stage and figure out our setup?"

He nodded with an amused grin and slapped Paul on the shoulder before tugging his shirt to slither free from between the chair and the Bastet's piercing gaze. "C'mon you."

Nara slowly walked to Roxane, looking apologetic. "Sorry about that. We joke that one day, his kin status won't matter and he's gonna get his ass actually kicked."

"Oh it's so true," Vicki chimed in. "One time the majority of Nara's Sept were chasing him around as wolves. What the hell did he say?"

"Something about the moon is full and so was his pants. In his defense, the idiot was drunk," said Kevin with a shake of his head.

"And that's my band!" Nara interjected before more Paul stories were revealed and pointed out to their host. "Vicki, Kevin, Ethan, and Paul. One big ass dysfunctional lot ..."

Roxane McDonnell
Jul 9th, 2019, 09:31:35 PM
Roxane was more amused than irate over Paul's remarks. She was the first to jest even in dry if not inappropriate way on a regular basis. Yet she didn't tolerate being considered lesser than what one might expect from a Bastet, especially given the slightly concealed fact that she was one of the last member of her tribe. She took great pride in reminding people she was no one to be considered defenseless.

Also, the terrified look on his face was quite entertaining, and she might be getting a silly kick out of it, given how little she was doing but enough to scare him.

Oblivious to Nara's reactions to her display of skills and pride, she stood stoically, her expression eventually softening as Nara stepped in to rescue Paul's sorry ass. She nodded to him and Ethan when they were to check the stage.

"If you need any technical information, please let me know," she offered as if nothing had happened, her feline aloofness taking over for the moment.

She stared as Paul stories were relayed, and her loud laughter erupted in the otherwise quiet of the room. She had a fit of evil giggles, as several indecent parries to his antics back then came through her mind.

"I take it the whisky dick stage hadn't been fully achieved yet, then," she quipped sarcastically.

When Nara then introduced each band member by name, she nodded, committing each of them to memory. She couldn't help smiling at the way the Galliard described them.

"Dysfunctional lot? Welcome aboard, I think you'll find the Moonstone Cafe to be good for our kind."

And yes, she considered herself part of the dysfunctional supernatural community for sure. As a Bastet, especially one like her, it was hard not to be, really.

"My music manager, Isabelle, will be back in about a week; but I already told her I hired you. She knows my music tastes, so she wasn't surprised."

Isabelle had thought it was crazy to go for a hard rock band, but she knew better than argue with Roxane over such type of music. At least her friend and collaborator would be able to get some mainstream and electronic vibes during her stay in France.

Nara McKenna
Jul 11th, 2019, 06:37:08 PM
Ethan gave her a grateful salute before patting Paul on the back of the shoulder. They climbed onto the stage and started milling about with long looks, pointing at the lighting system, and making grand gestures where to place things. Course Paul looked up, paled at the sound of Roxane laughing riotously.

"Shit. She's still talking about me, ain't she?" Paul asked with a tremble in his voice.

Ethan shrugged. "Probably. So just keep working and ignore them."

Though the rest of the group still laughing wasn't helping matters.

Kevin barked, eyes wet with tears with how hard he was laughing. Vicki was almost doubled over, clutching at her middle, while Nara just watched the entire scene unfold with big grin on her face. Before Roxane could catch it, she smoothed her features out and nodded.

"Esoterica's happy to find a new home. And so quickly!" Nara chuckled, remembering that Roxane's manager was trying to widen the scope of music at the cafe, but Nara's talents convinced the owner to bring them on - as well as their shared past, or past life in the Garou's case.

"Yeah." Kevin elbowed Nara, which made her crinkle her nose at him. "Nara told us how she sweet talked her way into a gig."

At that, she rolled her eyes. "I sang. And really damn good to get the gig. There was no sweet talking."

Roxane McDonnell
Jul 11th, 2019, 07:59:14 PM
Roxane couldn't help rejoicing at the sight of everyone laughing in tears because of how she carried on the jokes from Paul's story. While she welcomed all sorts of patrons to the Moonstone Cafe, the music and bar area had always been the side she considered more adult, so she felt freer to make below the belt jokes in this part, while ensuring that the front section with the pastries and bookstore remained more children-friendly. Granted, she had dropped her number of F bombs in front of shocked audiences; but that was part of life.

"It'd have been a shame not to offer you guys a gig! I don't know who pointed you in the direction of the Moonstone Cafe, but they've earned drinks and pastries on the house for sure," the blonde replied wholeheartedly. Not only did she get to hire talented musicians but finding Nara, and discovering the connection that bound them had been so unexpected.

She chuckled at Kevin's jest about how Nara had got them the gig. She nodded to the Galliard's recounting of how she sang.

"It was a beautifully haunting rendition for sure."

She canted her head to the side.

"Although now I wonder whether I missed on the sweet talking opportunity!"

Nara McKenna
Jul 13th, 2019, 03:11:35 PM
If Paul were here, he would have jumped on the opportunity to embarrass Nara. Instead, Kevin did it in his place but without being so crude about it.

"Oh I'm sure there's still a chance if ya can get her alone again. And with a few drinks in her," he teased with a wink.

Nara felt a momentary wash of nervousness pale her skin further. She knew it was a harmless jab that was part of their normal everyday banter, but having Roxane here being the focal point of it made her antsy about such things.

She hoped that her crooked smile smoothed over any betrayals that flitted across her features. "Should I talk about how you were the biggest naysayer coming to London? Thought the place was a sh-"

"And Nara's the best singer you will ever find!" Kevin forcefully interrupted her because he did not want that statement ending. "Even drunk ..." He couldn't just let it go.

Vicki scrunched up her nose with a quiet chuckle and agreed with a small nod. "I think we're just all really happy to have a job so soon. Thank you, Roxane, for giving us a chance."

Roxane McDonnell
Jul 14th, 2019, 07:16:08 PM
Roxane noted the way Nara paled, even though the Bastet could tell the musician did her best to conceal it. Yet, the blonde was naturally attune to her environment and her feline side always picked up on moods with greater depth. She subtly frowned for a moment, feeling bad for her new ally to be put on the spot as such when it visibly made her uncomfortable.

It wasn't lost on her how the Galliard had pledged herself to her; but that now Roxane was the one feeling protective. She trusted Nara to take care of herself. The venue's owner could personally enjoy a few silly jokes and weird stories about her were easier to bear than anything she had hidden from all about her Bastet history; but she didn't like when people embarrassed others.

She refrained from commenting or even stepping in, not wanting to diminish Nara's leadership in the band.

She grinned when the Garou then retorted and effectively shut Kevin up. She chuckled when Kevin was the one then put on the spot.

Tel est pris qui croyait prendre, she mused to herself, quite amused.

"Well, I sure hope that my very well-earned offer assuaged any nay-saying going around."

She smiled to Vicki, appreciating the thanks. "I'm glad you were willing to play in a venue that is still growing! The Cafe itself has been around for several years, but I have only started building up the bar and live music side about a year-ish ago."

Sometimes her concept of time could be a bit blurry due to the yearly spell of madness that threatened to consume her.

Nara McKenna
Jul 22nd, 2019, 12:58:33 PM
Vicki beamed. "Oh you definitely did. We always loved playing these kinda venues back home, so this is perfect. Or is it purrfect?"

Kevin groaned. "Oh man. That was so bad, Vic."

Nara, at least, chuckled since that was a harmless pun compared to Kevin's and Paul's antics. "All right you two ..." She shook her head and gently rolled her wrist before pointing towards the stage "... we should really set up."

Paul and Ethan were animated with their gestures, pointing and reaching out around the empty stage space.

"Sure thing, Nara." Kevin nodded and gave Roxane a smile. "Vic's right. I might be a naysayer, but this is pretty cool. Thanks."

Vicki beamed again before saddling up against Kevin, gently nudging him towards the stage, leaving Nara alone with Roxane - something the kin knew was preferred.

The garou turned to watch them go with crossed arms so she could settle her nerves. She was on edge, hoping that Roxane liked her kin despite their eccentricities, and knew full well this was not her norm. She was laid back and carefree with venues either liking or not liking Esoterica - everyone had their preferences and the band didn't always fit. Unless it were for bullshit reasons - favoritism over talent. That got under Nara's skin if there were preferential tribe treatment or a human run venue gave the job to someone as a favor.

"So ... the band really didn't drive ya nuts, right?" she asked cautiously as she rambled on. "They're a lot to take in all at once. I mean, they're really talented and couldn't ask for better kin or band mates, but usually the managers get to hear us play first so if Kevin and Paul run their mouths, I got their skills backing me up for negotiations, ya know?"

It was a lie. Nara knew exactly why she was nervous. Roxane knew her ancestor and the bastet held Cormac in high esteem. She wanted to keep the good impressions going with the bastet for various reasons - starting with the oath that bound them. Being that this was Roxane's place upped the ante and they had to kill it here.

Roxane McDonnell
Jul 23rd, 2019, 12:32:24 PM
Roxane smirked at Vic's jest, and Kevin's retort.

"Well it's not bad enough for me to come chewing on anyone's guitar strings," she replied with a grin.

Of course, she would never do that to artists she hired; but it was just a purrfect response, and she couldn't resist making the joke.

She let Nara direct everyone to the stage, so the band could set up. She was genuinely excited to hear them play. She had learned when a much younger Bastet, that it seemed every tribe had a particular type of music they favored. She wondered whether other Ceilicans, for she strongly believed others must have survived, loved rock as much as she did. Maybe one day she would know.

She looked at the Garou by her side, feeling grateful for this newfound ally.

"No they didn't. This brings me back to olden days. Depending on how things are, I can be about as annoying as them."

She didn't mean that in a negative way, and realized her tone might have led Nara to believe otherwise.

"They are lively and since they are your band, I am not concerned. I also don't picture you running around with talentless brats."

As the rest of the musicians were busy on the stage, she brought up something they had discussed during their first encounter.

"I have begun to go through my old journals. It appears they aren't as organized as I wanted to believe; so it might be a bit before I find the ones mentioning Cormac. I am certain I have several entries about my time with him and the other Galliards though."

Writing things down was a good way to remember, which had proven particularly useful with a long life, and taking decades to master the yearly madness that plagued her kind.

Nara McKenna
Jul 23rd, 2019, 08:43:03 PM
Nara winced. "Oooo ... If the inclination hits, just make sure it ain't my guitar. Or I can find some extra strings to dangle for ya."

Roxane's playfulness after her band mates left helped calm Nara, but the Garou couldn't quite picture her being annoying. Then she just equated how cats could be little assholes to Roxane's snarky quips and knew she could crank up the irritations.

She watched her kin head out the side entrance to bring in the equipment as Roxane switched gears. Nara looked hopeful and wide eyed and could not help but look towards the ground with disappointment. She should've known things couldn't be that easy and held no animosity when she spoke. "S'cool. I can't even imagine how much stuff ya need to sift through to find entries on Cormac."

When Nara looked back up, she half smiled. "I appreciate ya going through all the effort."

Roxane McDonnell
Jul 25th, 2019, 12:43:42 PM
Roxane chuckled and shrugged, because she liked playing with dangling toys when shifted. She could be a wild feline at such times; but she could also be very facetious. Dangling toys were a lot of fun, even when they weren't supposed to be toys.

After all, she had even took the habit of having scratching posts around her home, so she didn't destroy her own furniture. To most people it would sound insane; but Roxane had learned how to mitigate her Bastet madness, whether it was the yearly surge, or the everyday little crazies.

When Nara was visibly sad that she hadn't found anything about Cormac yet, Roxane felt a bit guilty for not having made more time to dig through all her records yet. She intellectually knew it wouldn't have been possible; but she genuinely wanted to do her part, even though the Galliard was the one who had taken an oath.

She felt a bit better at Nara's reassuring words.

"There is a lot for sure. I hope to have some time this weekend; so I should put a better dent into it. I promise you will have something way before you guys are done with London."

She hoped it would be in a very long time before they considered leaving London though.

Nara McKenna
Jul 25th, 2019, 08:49:31 PM
She nodded and was momentarily distracted as the band brought in the gear case by case. Nara should have gone over to help, but she didn't want to leave Roxane just yet.

"Well, I don't anticipate things going badly. So ... I'm sure we'll be sticking around for awhile." She looked over her shoulder at Roxane, looking serious. "Sides, I made a promise to you. Be wrong to not, ya know, stay awhile and make sure things are good here."

She cast her gaze away and stuffed her hands in her jacket pockets, her usual tell at being nervous. "So, yeah. I better get to helping. Quicker we get that done, quicker you get to hear us play."

Roxane McDonnell
Jul 27th, 2019, 08:40:34 AM
"I appreciate it, Nara," Roxane replied with a smile.

She was still shocked by how things had panned out during their first encounter. It was one of the most uncanny things that had happened in her life, and that said a lot, given some of what she had gone through.

"I'll get everyone some caf while you guys do that."

She watched Nara walk towards the rest of her band for a few more instants. She felt that her pryio was about to change. This time she was sure it was only a question of a day or two. It had taken centuries, but she sometimes managed to get inklings of what the next one would be. It didn't always make things easier given how Ceilican had very little stability in that regard compared to other tribes, but sometimes it gave her a tiny edge about how to work around it.

As she headed back to the front of the shop, she hoped that switching to a night one, which always made her feel like a recluse, wouldn't affect her interaction with Nara and her band too much. Under normal circumstances, she just relied on the rest of her employees, but this time she didn't want to just up and go.

She would probably spend more time under cat form, as it often helped mitigate some of her antisocial behavior.

Nara McKenna
Jul 30th, 2019, 07:16:20 PM
Her kin could sense tension coming off of Nara in droves when the Garou came to join them. They all shared a knowing look and wondered if they escaped one broken heart and that their beloved front woman was about to suffer another one. Course it was too soon to tell but when Nara got all broody and defensive, it was usually a bad sign.

Not to mention going from Immortal to Bastet? Nara knew how to pick them.

"Roxane's making coffee ..." she mumbled, working at getting the stands laid out for the drum set and slowly started to get to work. Ethan and Paul got the keyboards and speakers set up while Kevin and Vicki were tuning the guitars.

Vicki and Kevin shared a look.

"She making like four pots? I'm sure we're all gonna need it. Be nice and wired while playing," said Paul as his fingers danced along the keys, the synthetic notes churning out as bass and guitar strings were plucked by the others.

"And then maybe some real drinks afterwards. I could use a beer," Kevin added honestly.

"Well if the set goes well, I'm sure we can get some here."

"Which we'll pay for," Nara cut in with firm insistence as she screwed the cymbal stands in place. "Roxane's being overly generous and we're not going to take advantage of that."

Her dark gaze found every one of her kins. "Got it?"

Paul gulped and nodded since he really didn't want to be the butt of anymore jokes and changed the sound to straight piano so he could play some Mozart. He was an ass but a talented one, and the classics tend to calm his Garou friend.

Kevin nodded and spoke calmly. "Sure thing, Nar."

They knew of the oath but with the Garou still grieving her former relationship, it was messing with her emotions pretty hard. Things were always intense with the Black Fury but this was new. Perhaps the start of the Galliard moon wasn't helping - Nara was born under the waning moon and could fall into depression at times. They weren't aware of Roxane's gifts in shifting prylo's but it would be a strange coincidence if the two shifters ended up falling into darker moods at the same time.

They went back to tuning their instruments as Nara hopped onto the stool, focused on getting the tom-toms secured, contemplating what songs that Roxane would like to hear.

Roxane McDonnell
Jul 31st, 2019, 05:21:09 PM
Roxane was oblivious to the discussions and observations made among the band. She went back to the kitchens of the Cafe, and indeed made four pots of coffee, along with a large teapot for herself, or anyone else who might also want some, though she bet she might drink the whole thing by herself. Some thought her crazy for ingesting that much earl grey to calm her anguish, but it did help. She wasn't sure why, and there were no research made on caffeine and Ceilican Bastets, so whatever worked!

She had made sure to have two extra batches of cupcakes on hand for the band's visit and test run. She had actually baked them herself the previous night when sleep eluded her, and she had already destroyed one scratching post. So the cupcakes of vastly decadents, with one batch of raspberry and dark chocolate and the other vanilla with some chocolate chips.

She knew she shouldn't feel bad for not having retrieved any relevant journal for Nara yet; but with the imminent stupid pryio change, her anxiety could just spiral up and down, riffing off on anything it could find. Even though the Galliard had given her an oath, the Bastet meant it that she also wanted to make sure that she helped Nara if she could.

For now it seemed feeding her and her band, and offering lots of coffee.

Shrugging, she put all the tea and coffee pots on a tray along with a bunch of mugs, and brought it back to the stage area, placing the tray on a large side table against the wall, so it didn't risk getting in the way of setup. Without interrupting the band still setting up, the blonde went back to fetch paper plates and napkins, and return with a second tray with those and all the cupcakes.

Once everything was set up, she poured a cup of tea for herself, and waved at everyone, not wanting to get in their way.

"Coffee and cupcakes are ready when you are," she called out.

Nara McKenna
Aug 2nd, 2019, 09:25:25 PM
"Cupcakes?!" Paul perked up and abandoned his keyboard for snacks. Then his eyes widened. "Oh my god! She made four pots!"

"Feeding us before we perform? That's a first," chuckled Kevin as he lowered the guitar onto a stand and joined his boisterous kinsman. Ethan and Vicki followed shortly after because they could really use a pick up.

Nara was the only one that continued as the drums weren't ready yet as there were a few cymbals left to set up. She screwed the pieces in place as she cast a wary glance towards her kin, praying to Gaia that they behaved.

"Did you just make these today?" asked Vicki as she broke one of the cupcakes in half. It was so light and fluffy on the inside! "Smells amazing!"

"You like anything that's got chocolate in it." Ethan's reply was muffled by a quarter of the muffin top being chewed when Nara started testing out the drums.

It was a simple beat to make sure the kick and bass drum were sounding right with the mics. With a quick twirl of the drumstick in hand, she struck each cymbal to make sure the wing nuts weren't too tight. You wanted the cymbal to move on its own, guided by the drummer. Then she went into seemingly random beats to incorporate the toms before she was pounding away to the music in her head - a fast beat with cymbals crashing in time.

Roxane McDonnell
Aug 4th, 2019, 03:10:12 PM
Roxane laughed at Paul's reaction.

"Anything with caffeine is like any liquor, it must be served generously," she retorted with a chuckle.

While she ran her business to make sure she got good money out of it, she always liked treating employees and customers with a good heart. And really, if she started minimizing how much coffee she provided musicians with, the end would be near.

And maybe, just maybe, it was a way to make up for the reclusive side of her that was beginning to rear its ugly head.

"Last night, yes," she answered Vicki.

At least she didn't have, so far, to explain why she'd spend hours baking in the middle of the night.

"Well a life without chocolate is not worth living, frankly."

She grinned and then walked away from the band that was feasting on the snacks and coffee. She carefully and graciously climbed up on the stage and stopped a few feet away from Nara.

She appreciated that the Galliard was still working on making sure everything was fine. And she enjoyed the music she was playing. She had thought about asking whether she could bring her anything, but she found herself just listening to her new ally's tune. There was something visceral about voice, drums, or a combo of both, that always spoke to the Bastet, bringing her back to older times. As much as she loved rock music, and a vast number of instruments, drums were the ones that had stayed with her soul for centuries.

Nara McKenna
Aug 15th, 2019, 07:40:08 PM
The band happily ate and drank, curiously watching Roxane head on stage to get a better view of Nara banging away. They quartet exchanged knowing looks and quietly debated the pros and cons of anything that may or may not happen and what damage control may be needed to make sure their Garou friend didn't spiral into depression again, and not the kind that affected her during moon shifts. Nara's kin just knew her all too well when it came to women and the Black Fury was clearly smitten with the cat lady.

For once it would be nice if Nara could pick ones that weren't exotic shifters or Immortals. Like when she used to date kinfolk ...

When Nara took notice of her audience, she was noticeably surprised but kept the sticks pounding away, happy that her fan of one was Roxane. With a playful smile, she seamlessly switched the tempo that led into No One Like You by the Scorpions, playing off the band that got her the job in the first place ...

Nara's kin stopped talking, immediately recognizing the song and commented in hushed tones.

Paul was the first to groan, albeit quietly. "Dude ..."

"Yeah, this is bad," chimed in Kevin.

"Could she be more obvious?" asked Ethan.

"Well ..." Vicki looked between the two - shifts and shrugged. "Appears more of a soft crush than Nara being a lovesick pup?"

Roxane McDonnell
Aug 18th, 2019, 01:47:40 PM
Roxane felt color rise to her cheeks when Nara noticed her presence, and she mentally chastised herself for such a childish reaction. That was another perk of living in cat form. Embarrassment wasn't so easily displayed. One would think that after all these centuries, she could have a superb poker face as humans said; but it wasn't always the case. It appeared Nara was good at catching her off guard.

She folded her hands before her, instinctively taking a step back. Yet she didn't move any further one way or the other, when she recognized the song that Nara played next, bringing a smile to her lips. She very well recalled the Galliard's rendition of "Edge of Time" by the same band a few days ago. And "No One Like You" was yet another favorite, regardless of how famous the song was. After all, big hits and fans favorites didn't necessarily mean lack of talent and quality.

She couldn't help musing over the choice of songs too, although she refused to see further meaning into it.

As much as the blonde had been known to develop romantic and sexual interest in other beings with fierce speed, she knew of the oath that had been taken and she didn't want to risk damaging it. She also knew too well how her changing moods made her a difficult partner, which was why monogamy had been off the table for a long time. It wasn't so much that she was against the idea, but that no partner had been able or willing to keep up with the curse plaguing her kind, even though the blonde had been doing steady work to become more stable with her changing pryio and threatening yearly madness.

She realized she had been spiraling into ruminations shortly before Nara finished the song. She used the pause to clap a little.

"I look forward to hear you perform together. Should I steal the cupcakes away to make sure the stage is still appealing?"

She grinned at the rest of the band, winking, before stepping down from the stage.

Nara McKenna
Aug 18th, 2019, 07:10:08 PM
Nara saw Roxane take a step back after the Bastet's seemingly positive initial reaction and felt her heart sink. Her choice was probably subconscious and seeing the smile on Roxane's lips delighted the Garou. But it was a fleeting moment and she didn't want to embarrass either of them any further. It felt more like obligation then anything else now to complete the song for her boss and the woman she promised to protect.

She placed the drumsticks together in one hand and shrugged. "Probably a good idea. Or we could just wait a a few more minutes and they'll all be gone." The band could wolf food down faster than a pack of Lupus Furies.

The wink towards the band made her heart flutter with a twinge of jealously, but she stomped it down as quickly as the sticks did onto the now vacated drum seat. "Does our new boss have a song she wants us to play?"

Vicki's brow arched upwards at Nara's professional tone. Paul remained oblivious as he stuffed another muffin into his mouth. "Wocha wanna hwear? We cwan pway anyting."

Ethan rolled his eyes. Kevin decided to join Nara on stage as the Garou was testing the mic, who looked tense.

Roxane McDonnell
Aug 19th, 2019, 07:02:19 PM
Roxane couldn't help chuckling at Nara's remark about the band's voracious appetites.

"Well, the baked goods are here for you guys. I'm sure you'll all work enough of a sweat to get rid of the sweet, even if I end bringing cupcakes more often in the upcoming weeks."

With the damn changing pryio it was a probability, especially if she wanted to remain sociable, which was a goal given Nara being in town and her band playing at the Moonstone Cafe.

The Galliard's question about what she would like to hear made her pause for a moment. She absentmindedly looked at the band as they either kept scarfing cupcakes down, or slowly moved onto the stage.

"Choices, choices," she mused aloud.

She had a few ideas, but she forbade herself from risking being obvious. Liking Nara was a bad idea altogether. She blamed her pryio for making her willing to entertaining the thought, so she would have to keep a very tight rein on this mess. And they had only met a few days ago. And the oath shall not be tampered with. She owed it to Nara's bloodline.

"Are you guys familiar with Halestorm?"

She guessed so, but it was only polite to ask.

"If so, I'd love to hear Freak Like Me," she added with a Cheshire Cat smile.

Nara McKenna
Aug 20th, 2019, 09:37:57 PM
Wiping crumbs off his lips with the back of a hand, Paul confirmed with a vigorous head shake what Roxane already knew. "Oh yeah. We totally know them. Hey Nara!"

The Garou quirked a brow down at the keyboardist. "I should go on rhythm then?"

"Nah. Why don't you keep on enjoying the food and I'll take care of it this time." Paul beamed and grabbed a chair, parking himself in front of the goody table. Normally Nara would let Paul play but she wanted Roxane to see the full package with her - jamming on the guitar and belting out lyrics, especially with the Bastet's choice. She was being selfish, but at least Paul didn't mind with all the food distractions. The short intro that he could duplicate really wasn't worth his time anyway.

Ethan and Vicki shared another look as they slipped on their gear. Nara didn't so quickly exclude Paul when the set called for two guitars. She always stepped back for vocals and let him play. This was another curious choice.

Kevin was aloof, banging a few beats on the drum set with a whistle of appreciation that the Garou not only got the setup done quickly, but she was always meticulous with how to set up his extra sticks and water the way he liked it.

The three of them continued checking their instruments as Nara pulled the strap of her guitar (https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSy96IDCqFsCjv_IQLqd068WyC_Z_qJf HAwe3hj26rsSXuJ1Qb9) over her head and strummed a few cords. She turned to address the band.

"We good?" She eyed her three kin.

"Just starting on guitar and drums right?" asked Ethan, shifting the guitar strap against his shoulder.

Kevin played with both of the drumsticks, tapping at the bass drum for kicks. "Yep. On three?"

They nodded and Kevin brought up the sticks up, smacking them together as he counted. "And a one and a two and a ..."

The music blasted through the speakers as if Esoterica were the cover band of Halestorm. They played together in perfect harmony, not one note off key, moving with the music as it gave them life. The awkwardness that shrouded over Nara was replaced with eyes alight with intensity as the bass pounded through the floor with guitar notes reverberating straight on to her soul.

"I'm on the train that's pullin the sick and twisted,
Makin the most of the ride before we get arrested,
We're all wasted,
And we're not going home tonight."

She was no Lzzy Hale but Nara's stage presence were amplified by natural abilities with the moon she was born under. Coupled with the band, the song Nara had sang with just beating out a rhythm by hand on a table was almost amateurish.

"Covered in black we lack the social graces,
Just like an animal we crawl out of our cages,
They can't tame us,
So if you're one of us, get on the bus ..."

She stepped back for a beat, throwing her head forward, hair sliding down to briefly conceal her face before kicking it back, voice strong and clear...

"If you're a freak like me,
Wave your flag!
If you're a freak like me,
Get off your ass!
It's our time now,
To let it all hang out
So shout if you're a freak like me,
You were born to burn,
This is no disease you don't need a cure!
It's our time now to come out!
If you're a freak like me!
If you're a freak like me!"

Paul had a muffin in the air, waving it like a lighter, while headbanging.

"We're underground but we will not surrender,
We're gonna give them something to remember, yeah,
So write your name in gasoline,
And set that shit on fire."

Nara enthusiastically mimed igniting a lighter and tossing it with her guitar pick, flicking it at Roxane with a wink. She always had more on reserve in her pants pocket and retrieved one. Soon she and Vicki were back to back, rocking out as they plucked away at the melody when Ethan was front and center during his solo, eyes closed and completely lost in the music. Nara jumped in again on vocals with perfect timing, passionately repeating the chorus until she was focusing on the title lyrics, winding the band down to finish the song.

"If you're a freak like me!"

And they ended in unison - all with a sheen of perspiration and catching their breaths from their animated performance. Nara licked her lips, eying Roxane expectantly with nervous eyes as Paul stood with applause.

"Whoo!!!"

*Lyrics - Freak Like Me by Halestorm

Roxane McDonnell
Aug 24th, 2019, 04:04:14 PM
Roxane chuckled at Paul's enthusiastic confirmation that the band knew Halestorm. She expected as much, really.

"Another good reason I hired you," she said with a wink to Nara.

She took a few steps back from the stage, and went to retrieve her mug of tea that had now gone fairly cold; but she didn't want to miss a moment from the band's performance. Even though her song choice was about as discreet as a neon light in the night, she still loved it anyway. And Halestorm was one of her very favorite bands, so it was a good follow-up from the Scorpions pick a few days ago.

She noticed how Nara let Paul continue to stuff his face with the baked goods and took her guitar out. From Roxane's observation of the group's body language, it appeared that it wasn't necessarily the norm. It surprised her but she kept that to herself.

When the music started, she felt it reverberate through her whole body, and had she had any doubt about Esoterica left, they would have vanished on the spot. She had no musical talent herself, but she knew how to recognize it and these guys were mind-fucking-blowing.

Sure thing Nara wasn't Lzzy, but Roxane didn't know what to make of the fact she mused to herself she might find Nara more magnetic. She just put it on the fact that the Galliard wasn't human. A little voice in the back of her mind was attempting to sneak in a few sarcastic comments; but the music drowned it out.

Roxane was mouthing all the lyrics, knowing them by heart, like she did most of Halestorm songs. She couldn't resist head bang along some of the lines. She didn't even catch how Paul was using the muffin as lighter to go along. She couldn't take her eyes off of the Galliard.

Grinning she felt a warmth that normally eluded her by the time of an imminent night pryio. And the fire grew on cue as Nara mimicked a lighter with her guitar pick and soon tossed it into her direction. Without missing a beat, she fetched it, with feline grace. She closed her fist around it. She winked back to the musician, giddy as if she had caught the pick among a crowd of thousands.

She felt electrified as they ended the song, staring at them, before she eventually joined Paul into fierce applause.

"Whoah," was all she managed to say for a while.

"Guys, you're the darnest best band we ever had playing here. I can't wait for the regulars and new patrons to see you perform!"

Nara McKenna
Aug 24th, 2019, 08:13:09 PM
Paul's cheers coaxed a quick chuckle but it was Roxane's fervent applause that drew Nara's fixed gaze. The Garou was still feeling that high from playing, heightened with how Roxane was receptive to the performance and how eagerly she caught the pick purposefully tossed at her. Her cheek twitched, holding back a smile. She wasn't stupid or blind, well aware of how the band was observing her behavior. Nara wanted to be noticed, and she was. Well, the band was. She needed to focus.

"I'm glad you liked the performance." She laced her fingers together to rest atop the guitar. "Was a good choice. The song, I mean."

Vicki looked away to hide her disagreement. If it were a good choice, they all would've played.

Ethan was mindful enough to smile. "Thanks, Roxane. That's a really nice compliment and hope the customers do."

"We've got original songs that we can play too once we're established. I'm sure the locals would wanna hear a mix of familiar tunes and our own work," Nara added and motioned to Paul. "We can also play another song. Allow Paul the chance he can do more with his fingers than hold a muffin."

All the band members busted out laughing with that, including Paul. "Fun-ny!"

Vicki stepped beside Nara and bopped the Garou's side with the bottom of her bass, smiling in approval of including Paul. Nara half smiled in apology before nodding.

Roxane McDonnell
Aug 25th, 2019, 10:20:20 AM
Roxane smiled to Nara's response; but she caught the way Vicki's behavior appeared at odds with the Galliard's. It unsettled the Bastet, who suddenly felt the need to run or hide. She blamed it on the pryo change; but it was still uncomfortable. She had the urgent need to turn into a cat and just observe from afar.

She took a deep breath, knowing she might look bizarre to others, but slight embarrassment was the price to pay when she was a Cafe owner and wanted to remain sociable no matter what. After all, she refused to hear she didn't treat artists and employees with due respect.

She nodded to Ethan, grateful for his calmness.

"I am sure they will."

She pondered on what Nara said next.

"I think a mix of both will indeed be the best choice. This type of venues is also for artists to play their own thing. When I hire artists, I trust them with the lineup of songs. I don't micromanage."

She was going to have to bloody micromanage herself and that was damn enough.

She chuckled softly at Nara's offer to include Paul in another song, as well as Vicki's reaction.

"I'd love to hear one of your own songs, with everyone playing."

Nara McKenna
Aug 25th, 2019, 07:56:51 PM
"Come on up, Paul." Nara tugged her head back with invitation.

Paul hopped up, then paused, leaning over the table to stuff the last of his muffin into his mouth, before climbing up the stairs onto the stage. He wiped the crumbs off on his pants and got situated behind the keyboards, lacing fingers together and extending his arms out, stretching muscles as the group came in for a huddle between him and Kevin.

"So, what should we play?" asked Ethan. "Something slower maybe? Just to mix it up."

"That's a good idea," chimed in Vicki and looked to Nara. "Course, up to you. Since ..." But she bit her lower lip and stopped there.

"Since what, Vic?" Nara called out the silent accusation quietly.

"Look, forget it." The bassist shook her head. "Let's show Roxane how good we are." She pleaded with her eyes to drop it for now and smiled reassuringly. "Okay?"

"Okay ..." Nara said, agreeing quickly to avoid an argument and closed her eyes to really think through a song that would work. She thought of Chicago and moving here, and why, and all the feelings that went with the decision. Even being smitten with Roxane was pushed away.

"Call Me When You're Sober," she stated, opening her eyes.

The group looked puzzled at that choice.

"Ya sure, Nara? I mean, we ... never actually played the song in front of an audience..." Kevin said nervously while scratching the back of his head with a stick. "Which we know why ..."

It was a private song with the band as Nara worked through her breakup rage.

Vicki put a hand on Nara's shoulder and stepped close to her. "You sure, hun? Look, I didn't mean to be so pushy. You've got nothing to prove to anyone."

"Nah, it's cool." Affectionate eyes gazed upon her oldest band member and smiled. "I'm just doing this for me."

Nara and Vicki had always been close and shared a lot of firsts together and through it all, they always maintained a strong relationship that surpassed kin and Garou, former lovers, friends. They knew each other as well as they knew themselves and after a moment of scrutiny, Vicki nodded seeing that this would be good for the Garou. "Then let's do this."

The band affirmed the decision with nods and determined looks, going over the basic rhythm and music shifts, the lead into the chorus and confirming notes that wouldn't cause an inadvertent off key moment with being rusty. They broke away and took up their spots, Nara plucking a familiar chord that calmed her nerves. It wasn't anything familiar but a few notes strung together that she kept repeating before a new show. She eventually recognized it was something that bolstered her mettle in playing a new venue. Funny how she didn't do it here at the cafe before playing Halestorm ...

She didn't say anything, afraid of rambling in front of Roxane and losing her nerve with the song choice. This song was for her and hopefully it would be a cathartic release. She tapped her foot and waited for the lead in and the band fell into this song as if it were part of a regular set.

Unlike the first song where she paid close attention to Roxane, the Garou sang to the empty room, eyes distant and thoughtful.

"Don't cry to me, if you loved me
You would be here with me
You want me, come find me
Make up your mind

Should I let you fall, lose it all
So maybe you can remember yourself?
Can't keep believing
We're only deceiving ourselves
And I'm sick of the lie
And you're too late."

Halestorm was fun but this song was personal. It came through every syllable, her voice raw with emotion that had been unearthed once again.

Make up your mind

Couldn't take the blame, sick with shame
Must be exhausting to lose your own game, selfishly hated
No wonder you're jaded
You can't play the victim this time
And you're too late."

Her eyes briefly connected with Roxane's as she surveyed the room, remembering when her hot headed Immortal ex would've sat where Roxane was with a shit eating, proud, grin that was only for her.

Make up your mind

You never call me when you're sober
You only want it 'cause it's over, it's over."

She felt her body shiver, easily covered up with the way she moved while working her guitar, and missed how her lower lip briefly quivered.

"How could I have burned paradise?
How could I?
You were never mine!

So don't cry to me, if you loved me
Don't lie to me, just get your things
I've made up your mind!"

It ended with Nara's eyes closed, feeling raw and reflective, but mostly composed. The band noticed and sensed it too, the shift in Nara since the last time she sang this. That was a dark spill of angry words shouted over the music. This was an insightful ballad.

With a slow intake of breath, the Garou exhaled and found the will to open her questioning eyes towards Roxane. "So ..." she began cautiously. "What did ya think?"

*Borrowed Call Me When You're Sober by Evanescence

Roxane McDonnell
Aug 26th, 2019, 03:16:14 PM
While the band gathered on stage and discussed what to play in more or less hushed voices, Roxane took the opportunity to actually fetch one of the surviving muffins and refill her cup of tea, this time with hot one. She didn't want to be nosy, which was ironic because she was an explorer at heart. Yet eavesdropping on others' conversation was another thing which felt wrong. At least, that was how she viewed it unless the others in question were enemies, which she had had over the years. And in such cases, poking around in cat form was the most efficient way to glean information.

She took a careful sip from her tea as the band appeared to get ready to begin. The blonde was very curious to see what one of their original songs sounded like, after having heard such great covers. And as much as she had given them space, she had noticed body language cues and concerned behavior, which gave her pause. Yet she was glad to see how close the band was together. Having a family, a tribe, was important. Even though she was a loner by nature and by fate, she valued having allies, even friends. More than that had often been a challenge more than anything else.

Nara's expression and focus was different this time. Roxane didn't know where, when, or whom, Nara was lost in, but the song was haunting. And the Galliard's unique talent made it even more so.

The Bastets' accute perceptions and her extra sensitivity due to her current transition into her more solitary self and sometimes extra-lucid skills, she felt the song course through her unquiet soul.

The brief moment Nara's eyes connected with hers, it hit her like a tidal wave coming to crash against who she really was: a pain in the ass Bastet, one of the last of a kind plagued by a yearly madness, and changing moods, which as much she fought to overcome would always be a problem.

Whoever had fucked up with Nara in the past, whoever this song was about, was an asshole.

Roxane didn't want to be the next one, and she feared that her immediate and growing fascination with the Garou might end in such a mess.

It wasn't just the whole oath thing that made her reluctant now, to pursue romantic entanglement, even when the strength and solemnity of the oath had made it clear there was a connection, passed through bloodline and crystallized in a new way in the Galliard musician.

As much as Roxane knew her worth, and communicated as best as she could with partners, she remained keenly aware of how complicated she was. And it wasn't as if she really had any other like her to compare notes. Isolation was the price to pay as a survivor from her tribe.

She had instinctively clutched the mug with both hands, keeping her attention upon Nara, with side glances at the band. She noticed how the Galliard's eyes were closed at the end of the ballad. The time it took her to eventually asked for her opinion gave Roxane the time to keep herself together as well.

She would honor her side of the oath, she would build a friendship with Nara and her band mates, but that would be all there was.

"It was powerful," she said calmly.

"It makes me look forward to hearing more of your original works. Your covers are great, but your own songs are amazing if they're all as good as this one."

Nara McKenna
Aug 26th, 2019, 07:01:28 PM
Nara was ignorant of the thoughts and anxiety that Roxane worked through but she was certain that the song had its impact. She was happy to hear the Bastet's initial response and the smile on her face smoothed away the lingering pain. Though she didn't feel the same warmth and curiosity as before when Roxane hovered close when she set up the drums. Her gut was to play the song, but now she second guessed it despite the praise.

"Thanks," was all she could quietly muster, but it was genuine. "We like to think so too."

"Now she's being modest." Vicki smiled. "They're all just as great."

The guys shared a chuckle but all nodded knowingly.

"But yeah. We'll make sure to have a couple originals rotating through the sets so you'll get a chance to hear them all." She pulled the strap over her head so she could crouch and set the guitar on its stand. Roxane didn't need to hear anything else and Nara wasn't sure she had it in her for another song right now.

She was happy with how the song turned out and how they sound. It was pretty epic how good they were for a second run through, and they would probably play it as part of their regular set. Nara was also sure that each time they played it, the difficult memories associated with the birth of the song would subside.

Ethan and Vicki also moved to put their instruments down but Paul and Kevin were dueling notes with their instruments.

"So should we talk specifics?" Nara stood upright, rubbing her hands along her jeans to remove the sweat, and approached the edge of the stage where Roxane still sat. "What days we play, how long, getting the word out?"

Then she jumped off so they were on the same level. "Contract stuff, ya know?"

Roxane McDonnell
Aug 28th, 2019, 03:24:22 PM
Roxane kept her attention upon the Galliard; but she smiled warmly at Vicki's remark about all the band's song being as good as the one they had just played.

"I am not surprised," she added with a soft chuckle.

She watched as everyone put their instruments down, guessing it was time to discuss specifics. As much as she had given her word to Nara; nothing was valid without a contract. And the Bastet liked to do things the right way.

"We should. I was just thinking that," she replied with a grin.

"I had already started to put something together in the past few days. I'll be right back."

She quickly returned with a a printed document, which had the usual details about the cafe; but also the original financial compensation. She sat down at a nearby table and scratched that with the pen she had also made sure to bring along. She upped the number, not caring they could decipher the previous one, which was already generous. The band was very much worth it.

She then handed it to Nara for review.

"I was thinking you start this Friday. Then for two weeks you would have Tuesday and Wednesday all by yourselves. Then you would share Fridays and Saturdays with another band we already have scheduled. After that you will have priority to decide whether you want to add either Friday or Saturday as your third solo day."

She paused for a moment, considering what else needed to be covered.

"The Cafe does have social media; but we mostly work via word of mouth. News about our line ups are also featured among a local network for smaller and indie venues."

She absentmindedly tapped the pen on the table, still going through what information she needed to bring up. She was starting to be slightly antsy and felt she would soon need some time out, likely hurled up in kitty form somewhere.

"For rehearsals, the Cafe is closed every Monday, all day, and Thursday mornings. The other band usually use the Monday morning, which leaves you the rest of the day or Thursday mornings."

Nara McKenna
Aug 31st, 2019, 08:41:55 PM
"Hey, Nara. We'll head up front and get something to drink, kay?" Then Vicki briefly looked at Kevin before talking in conspiratorial tone as Roxane left. "Think someone's a bit taken by certain clerk if ya get what I'm saying..."

Nara looked up and over her shoulder at Vicki and nodded with a chuckle. She had no idea Kevin was already soft on Lila. "That was super quick. Sounds good tho. But behave. We are working here after all."

Vicki could not hide the accusatory look as if to say, oh really?

The Garou lightly bared her teeth with firm warning to not go there, which the bassist did back off. "I'll make sure he's the perfect gentleman."

She nodded appreciatively and calmed herself. "Thanks. Really."

"Sure, Nara." She watched as Roxane came back. "And you and I need to talk later."

Her words held finality that made the Garou sigh, watching the band disperse. She shuffled over to Roxane's table and pulled a chair out, turned it around and sat down trying not to look too eager now that she was alone with the Bastet. Curiously she took the contract and as she skimmed the usual verbiage, her eyes bugged out at the proposed payment.

"Holy shit ..." The words were out before she could stop them.

Having four days a week to play and two of those were headliner days to start was insane. Then offering a third day as a priority was unheard of for a new band in the area. They really impressed Roxane. She set the paperwork down, her face stunned. "This is ... well, hell, Roxane. This is a lot more than we're expecting. Thank you. Uh ... wow."

She hoped she wasn't blushing. "Ethan and Vicki are good with social media and pounding the pavement. They can help if ya want. Also ..."

Her brain was starting to fry processing all the information and it was moving at a turtle's pace. She was usually savvy with negotiations but there wasn't anything to negotiate! "Thursday mornings would be best I think. We kinda like our evenings free when possible. Did you uh ... did you have room for us to store our stuff here? Or need us to break it down all the time?"

It all depended on the venue and how much storage was onsite. For the longest of times they had to break down and store their gear with tetris like abilities in the van all the time.

Roxane McDonnell
Sep 3rd, 2019, 03:33:14 PM
Roxane was trying hard not to beat herself up for her darkening mood; but it wasn't working very well. She didn't want to mess things up so early on, and she wanted to do right by Nara and her band.

At least when the rest of the musicians left to go back to the front of the establishment, she let out of a sigh of relief. She felt a measure of tension disappear. It wasn't much given how much of a ball of nerves she could be when switching to the night Pryio, but it was still better than nothing.

As she was focusing hard to remain an agreeable being, she missed some of the banter and the news that Kevin was becoming interested in Lila.

She kept her attention upon the Galliard, and couldn't help cracking the smallest of smiles when the Garou was shocked by the pay and conditions she offered.

"Glad it works for you," she replied. "You are very welcome."

She was happy when Nara said that Ethan and Vicki could help with promotion.

"I always support artists promoting themselves, so by all means, I'm happy for help."

She mused over the storage of instruments. Her gaze drifted away towards the hallways leading to her office and some storage rooms.

"I'll check with Hans, because we have some light renovation work planned, nothing that will get in the way of your time here, so I want to make sure of what we can store."

She looked back at Nara.

"I know for sure we have a small storage unit you can use, but it wouldn't hold everything. I'll get back to you tomorrow."

She paused for a moment, frowning as she felt the general antsiness and headache coming to life.

The blonde gave an apologetic look at the Galliard.

"I am sorry if... If I look like I am antisocial or just bad company. Most Bastet don't suffer from unpredictable change of moods as I do. Even with centuries behind me, this one is always a pain in the ass to handle."

She didn't normally disclose so much; but it only seemed fair to let Nara know.

Nara McKenna
Sep 6th, 2019, 07:21:30 PM
The band was going to flip out seeing the pay. It was the most they ever made and there was a sizable chunk of cash in their pockets once split five ways. Nara always split everything evenly because Esoterica was the five of them. Having one person missing wasn't the same, which Vicki reminded her today. They were stronger together. A pack. Family.

"If you give me all the social media info, I'll pass it along to them to get the word out about our upcoming debut. But I wanna have them hype up your place too. I mean, shit, Roxane. We can say the generous payment is donation to the E&K marketing fund." She smiled, lightly chuckling and still amazed at the Bastet's kindness.

She waved off any concerns with storage. "We're used to living in a van as the constant worse case scenario. The studio we found has room too so... " she shrugged, "we just get lots of exercise hauling stuff."

Sacrifices had to be made to enjoy the music and have it be heard. They driven hundreds of miles and hauled speakers, instruments and microphones anywhere over the years that allowed them to play, Garou and human establishments alike. She wouldn't change it for anything because it led her to Michele. And the Immortal led her here. To Roxane. She can't screw up this opportunity, though she tried to say it was for the venue when in reality it went deeper than that. As if it weren't plain where interests lay beyond an oath and curious passages in diaries centuries old.

When Roxane's face grew long and sorrowful, Nara leaned against the table and was alert for anything and everything the Bastet had to say - watching for nuances of tone and movement, especially her eyes. She looked apologetic. Then she said she was sorry and with the explanation given, relief flooded Nara's senses. She had thought she had done something wrong to upset her, more so her erroneous thoughts driven due to the waning moon.

Her mouth tightened in thought and gave a short nod of understanding. "I can't grasp how deeply it affects you, but I ... can kinda relate."

She pointed towards the ceiling. "It's a Galliard moon, but it's going towards a half. When it's waning like this, I get down until the next phase. Not all Garou get that effect but it's not uncommon."

With a sad chuckle, she lowered her hand. "Probably why I went for the gut wrenching song tonight. So ... yeah." She cleared her throat realizing she was talking way too much about herself when Roxane clearly was suffering more than her, "It's cool, Roxane. Do you, uh ... need us to break stuff down and go so you can relax or ... whatever it is you do?"

Roxane McDonnell
Sep 6th, 2019, 08:43:41 PM
Roxane enjoyed her comfortable life; but she had also lived on the run long enough that it had made her selective with what she kept as personal belongings. Really she lived in a one bedroom apartment that might be quite full; but for someone who had lived several centuries, it was sparse. Not only was it how she felt comfortable; but it also gave her a sense of comfort, feeling that she had her territory within easy access, especially as a cat. And a side benefit from that was that it allowed her to compensate her employees, contractors, and artists generously. Given how she envisioned the Moonstone, it meant a lot to her.

She smiled as Nara was still floored by the pay she had offered.

"It's well-deserved, Nara. You guys are great."

The Bastet might be very talented at mind games, but she was playing none with the Galliard.

"That's a good idea," she replied about the social media info, and then proceeded to scribble it down, although in a legible fashion, so the band could have it.

"I like the idea of the donation to the marketing fund," she added with a soft chuckle.

Even though she was on edge because of the change of pryio, Nara's presence helped her stay grounded a bit better.

"I still hope you can store most of your equipment here."

She suddenly pondered whether it sounded territorial or not.

"By the way, the contract allows you to do individual gigs, up to two nights somewhere else, while being headliners here."

There was part of her that disliked the idea of Nara's band playing anywhere else, unless it was a festival; but she understood the need for exposure. She wasn't very possessive by nature; but she knew she just hoped to see Nara around on a regular basis. As much as she hated to read the obvious clues, which came from both the Garou and herself, it was hard to simply ignore them.

She didn't know how Nara would react to her unexpected confession about her state of mind; but she felt relieved when Nara appeared to relax a bit.

"Thank you for understanding. I appreciate it a lot. It can be a bit awkward and embarrassing."

She looked a little sad at the mention of the Galliard moon and how it was also difficult for Nara.

"I am sorry you have to put up with such things. And that song was beautiful."

She felt a bit better for having put that out in the open. While she was still secretive by nature as a Bastet, she had been working on opening herself up a little more in the last century. It didn't necessarily make any relationship better or easier; but at least she felt she was making some progress in how she was treating people instead of remaining an ivory tower all by herself.

"I'd be happy to spend some more time with you; but would that be okay if I did that in cat form? One on one interaction is alright, and just spending a few minutes with you has helped; but I feel that I am hitting the threshold of my human socialization."

She hoped she didn't blush at the mention that spending some time with Nara had helped. The words had escaped her mouth before she could think twice.

Nara McKenna
Sep 8th, 2019, 02:08:19 PM
Nara looked down at the contract and saw that what Roxane said was true about playing other venues. She curiously tapped at that section and her initial thought was no. If Ethan and Vicki got them enough exposure to get people in and their music kept them coming, along with any write ups on social media, there really was no need for them to seek opportunities elsewhere. Especially as the money they were getting was more than enough to keep them sustained.

Unfortunately she knew that was her heart talking. She really didn't want to play anywhere else but here at the Moonstone Cafe. She wanted to spend as much time as possible with Roxane that the Bastet could, and would, allow because she wanted to understand her and be an ear for her. Nara could tell that the Bastet was equally parts lonely as she was anxious being around people. That couldn't be easy at all.

She also wanted to hear about Roxane's life with her ancestor and study those journals if she was lucky enough to visibly look upon one. Right now her head was attuned to Roxane and without realizing it, her fingers were tapping nervously against the paper as her mind fervently went through what ifs and hopes.

But this was a band decision on where they play. Sure Nara was the head of the band that took care of business, but they needed majority approval. "Me and the band will have to chat on that and see if we wanna do something somewhere else too. But thanks for putting that in."

Some of the weight of the waning moon effect lifted hearing Roxane call the song she sang beautiful. She had to hold back her glib tongue in responding that the song was no where near as beautiful as the Bastet. Hopefully her eyes didn't betray that thought.

"I don't want you feeling anxious and awkward around us. I mean, I get it that you can't help feeling that way, right? But we can do whatever we can to help." Far as Nara was concerned, her issues with the moon phases was not significant to what Roxane experienced.

"Yeah sure!" Nara quickly agreed to what Roxane suggested because at least she'd be around in some form. It was no different than members of a caern did similar, shifting to a comfortable form to think.

And she really couldn't help feeling warm and fuzzy that she helped Roxane out a little, latching onto the one on one interaction and feeling better quite eagerly in her head, but she only smiled with understanding. "I can get the band in to look over the contract and sign it. Then I can ask about the storage space in the back and after that, we can pack up and go."

Roxane McDonnell
Sep 9th, 2019, 03:02:55 PM
While Roxane hoped Esoterica would stick around the Moonstone Cafe, except for some festivals, she knew it was quite selfish. She wanted Nara around. Denying that would be horribly delusional; but they were a band, and she was going to deal with her worst Pryio for at least a couple of months. As much as the changes were unpredictable, they normally lasted at least two months. But then, what could she truly predict? She mostly could work around what plagued her and grow and become a better person.

Being pulled into multiple directions was always the worst for her. Dealing with one set of desires was one thing, dealing with multiple and also all the fears and shit that happened was another one.

She would pull through anyway. She just hoped that it would not be a problem in her budding relationship with the Galliard.

"Of course. Having been on my own for so long has made me disliked rigid structure; so it's important for me people have options."

She bowed her head to the brunette as she said that she and the band would do whatever they can to help.

"I appreciate it. I don't share that much about my messed up Pryio. I just register as eccentric, which is a very Bastet thing anyway," she replied with a small chuckle.

"I'll likely be able to make better progress going through the journals because of insomnia."

She gestured towards the bunch of empty muffin trays.

"And I can't bake when in kitty form."

When Nara said that she would reconvene with the band, and they'd come back and pack up, she nodded, still relieved the Garou didn't take her admission badly.

"Sounds good. I'll print the final version of the contract, and bring it here. Then I promise not to chew your chords."

Nara McKenna
Sep 9th, 2019, 08:10:23 PM
As happy as she was to hear Roxane's research would amp up, Nara didn't like knowing it was because of the shift in moods. Hopefully this was helpful for Roxane to do with the insomnia and not something she felt obligated to do.

She held the Bastet's gaze, eyes serious and spoke in a strong voice that was reminiscent when she swore the oath. "What you share about your tribe stays between us too. The band doesn't need to understand the specifics. They've seen a lot and being kin, they get we all got our eccentricities."

The negotiations were done and just needed a quick talk and signatures, but this was far more important.

"So ... if you need to do something more for you than me, just do that. Journals aren't going anywhere." She nodded. "Okay?"

Then she smiled. "But I'm not sure I can argue against baking. Paul will be sad."

Roxane McDonnell
Sep 9th, 2019, 08:43:23 PM
The air felt as if crackling, a testimony to the supernatural forces at play and that coursed through their veins. They might not be the same species but they remained particular beings whose humanity was but a fraction of what they truly were.

Roxane felt as if Nara could see straight into her complicated soul as their eyes met. Her voice had this very Galliard haunting vibration to it.

"Thank you for understanding, Nara."

While she was opening up to the Garou with greater ease than she would have ever expected, she felt uncomfortable at the thought of letting the rest of the band know. Maybe one day it would change. Time would tell.

"I want to find those journals for you. And having things to do, including for others, actually helps during those times. But I'll remember what you said."

That was about the best promise she could make.

She relaxed and chuckled at what the Garou added about baking.

"I'm happy there are other people to eat my baked goods, so I don't end as a plump cat you need to roll around."

She stood up and walked to the brunette's side, resting a hand on her shoulder.

"I'll meet you guys here in a few minutes with the contracts and as a somehow behaved cat."

She gave Nara's shoulder a gentle squeeze and disappeared into a nearby hallway.

Nara McKenna
Sep 10th, 2019, 07:15:12 PM
Nara hated how the sound of her name on Roxane's lips made her revel and wanted to hear it again, senses already heightened and on edge with everything budding between them.

"Alright," she said and leaned back unconsciously as if the scant distance would temper her feelings. She was here for Roxane as a friend. "Cool. Since it helps."

But the bubbly laugh couldn't be contained picturing Roxane as a chonky cat that she needed to nudge around by the foot, rolling her room to room. "I dunno. Paul might end up getting that way depending on how much ya bake."

The guy was a bottomless pit but still.

When Roxane reached for her, Nara stopped breathing. It was a stupid reactionary thing to do, but the Garou swooned. All internally of course.

"Course ... " It was a lame response but all she had. Roxane had rendered the Galliard speechless. An incredible feat.

Watching Roxane go, Nara sat there and stared at the hallway the Bastet disappeared into.

This is dumb. I just got outta a relationship that was ... brutal. In every sense. And now here I am pining over another, practically, immortal woman. She's not Brigid tho. There's no fighting. Pool hustling. Secrets. Well... there are secrets cuz, shit, we're still getting to know each other, but she's been more honest with me then Brigid ever was. Fuck...

She wouldn't say or do anything stupid that would go against the promise she made in helping Roxane, but that hand squeezing her shoulder? Her mind couldn't helping wandering and focused on the lingering presence and heat that was there.

"YO NARA!" Paul's voice broke through her thoughts like a chainsaw. It startled her enough that she visibly stiffened. "These scones are amazing!"

Vicki gently approached and took a seat to redirect the Garou, eying the Garou curiously before her gaze softened knowingly how on edge Nara was. "How did negotiations go?"

The question was simple and allowed Nara to refocus. "Good. Roxane'll be back with the contract and its the best one we've ever gotten."

"Really?" Paul came to sit by Vicki, licking fingers clean.

"Yeah. Gotta go over some days to pick for practice and play, but the money's good for all the time we're getting. Probably haveta to store the gear in the van and back at the apartment, but yeah. It's a really sweet gig once you see it." Nara half smiled as she stared off. "She pays well normally, but kinda gave us a raise. She really liked our performance."

"Uh huh." Tongue in cheek, Vicki crossed her arms.

Nara shot her an accusatory look. "What?"

"Oh ... nothing."

"That was not a nothing. That was a something. So what?"

"Answer me this first?"

The Garou rolled her eyes. "Fine. What?"

"What was the increase? In the pay."

"Well... we get to play four times a week ..."

"Four times a week?!?!" Ethan was normally calm but even this came as a surprise to him "Seriously?!"

"Uh yeah ..." Nara shrugged.

"We've never got to play that often anywhere ..." Kevin pointed out. "Even when Fiona pulled strings."

"True ..." The Garou couldn't argue. "So let's be happy she really likes us?"

"Yameanyou," said Paul with a fake sneeze.

Vicki rolled her eyes and smacked him behind the head. "That was so childish."

"But no less true," he countered as Nara fought a blush while trying to hide her face.

Roxane McDonnell
Sep 11th, 2019, 10:58:47 AM
Merde. Pitie non. C'est une tres tres mauvaise idee.

Roxane scolded herself as she forced herself to walk away without looking back at Nara. If she started to mutter to herself in French, she knew it was bad.

She was yearning for the Galliard, and given her antisocial pryio kicking in, she knew it was really bad. She didn't want to fuck things up. She knew she had a tendency to be too much for her partners, and what she was already feeling towards Nara wasn't just simple lust, which could have been easier to handle. They had an oath between them, and the blonde didn't want to plague the Garou with her issues. Sure thing, she had been working on them and made efforts if she sat down and gave her mental health an objective look.

She slammed the door of her office more than intended, which made her stop and groan. Maybe she should just go home and curl up on her bed and take a very long cat nap.

She didn't want too though.

Taking a deep breath, she walked to her desk and corrected the contract before printing it. She rolled it up and kept it as such with a rubber band.

Kitty shape would help, right? It always did.

She put her clothes away and shifted, the feeling of bones and flesh always a bit painful. It brightened her focus though.

She soon meowed and stretched. Eyeballing the nearby scratch post, she lashed out at it for a minute, blowing off some steam.

Sauntering towards the door, she hissed as she realized the cat door had got stuck.

Brilliant, fucking brilliant.

She knew scratching it open wouldn't happen.

Glaring at the door knob, she wiggled her feline ass and jumped after it several times.

That bloody door knob was just taunting her.

She had a contract to give, and she had just cornered her own self.

She could shift back but within minutes and in her bad mood it would probably be extra painful and around pryio change times, shifting back and fort too quickly could mean splitting migraines and nausea.

So she sat down away from the door so it wouldn't whack into her whenever someone would open it.

And she meowed, loudly.

Nara McKenna
Sep 11th, 2019, 07:36:47 PM
"Just ... focus!" She cut through the siblings threatening banter and sighed. "It's a good deal, right? And there's a stipulation we can play at other venues if it doesn't interfere here."

Kevin and Ethan both shared an approving glance at that.

"Also, E and Vic ... Roxane's cool with you two taking over the social media accounts. Getting the word out. Making shit to pass around and post."

That made Vicki's eyes light up. The bassist was liking how the band was being included in things. "Nice."

Ethan agreed. "Real nice. Once we look over the contract, we can start figuring out ideas."

"Awesome." Nara was glad to see and hear the band getting into this more. "I'm sure Roxane trusts you but until she gets used to your style of marketing, let's run things past her first."

"Yeah." He nodded. "Totally fair. We don't wanna take advantage of her generosity."

"No we don't." Nara appreciated that because that was exactly what she was trying not to do.

"So ... where is she?" asked Kevin, peering here and there to see where the Bastet had gone off too. "Does it really take this long to bring a contract."

Nara shrugged and looked down the hallway, the rest of her band's eyes following. "I dunno."

But just at the cusp of her hearing, she could've sworn there was a meow. Focusing on that noise, Nara's accentuated hearing as a Garou pinpointed the noise and confirmed that it was a cat's mewl. A constantly, loud, one at that! She recognized it as the same one that she heard when Roxane greeted them in cat form. What didn't make sense was why it was muffled.

"I'll be right back," she started to say when getting up.

Vicki raised a brow. "Something wrong?"

"I don't think so but ... let me just go and see what's up with her."

"I bet it's meow code for a quickie ..." Paul muttered and got a pen thrown at him, the clicker impacting right between the eyes. "OW! HEY!"

"You did kinda deserve that," said Ethan with a shrug as Nara disappeared down the hallway to investigate.

Ignoring the band scolding Paul, Nara narrowed her gaze and followed the persistent meows. She passed several doors until the meowing sound was at its loudest and stopped. Judging by the cat door at the bottom, this had to be Roxane's office.

"Hey Roxane?" She cautiously approached the door and knocked. Which felt odd, because Roxane was a cat now and could hear her just fine, but she wanted to be polite and knocking was a human custom after all. "You okay?"

Another meow came, this one rather whiny over the sound of scratching. Nara's eyes widened with realization as to what probably happened, but at the same time how could she have gotten stuck in her own office?

She reached out to take a hold of the doorknob to test it, giving it a hard tug and turned it without issue. Since Roxane was just behind the door, Nara slowly opened it without incident and peeked inside ...

Roxane McDonnell
Sep 13th, 2019, 07:05:26 PM
Having no idea of the banter that preceded Nara's wandering into the hallway, Roxane felt her senses tingle as the Garou approached. She felt both horribly embarrassed for having her tormented soul get the best of her as she had stupidly locked the cat door by accident; and also exhilarated that the Galliard had heard her meows.

She meowed back at Nara when the brunette stopped behind her office's door. She scratched as well for emphasis, hopeful the other woman would understand what was going on.

She was so grateful she was in her feline form, so she could more easily conceal her shame.

The moment Nara opened the door, she had stepped back into the room as not to risk getting smacked by the door, even though the musician was careful.

She walked straight up to Nara as soon as the musician peeked inside and rubbed her head against her calf, before wrapping herself around Nara's leg, purring loudly in thanks.

Although she basked in the moment for a few instants, she forced herself to remember business and that a contract needed to be signed!

She reluctantly removed herself from the Garou and promptly jumped onto her desk and carefully retrieved the rolled up paper. Damn, the rubber band was tempting; but she was a good kitty and she sauntered her way back to the Garou. She sat down next to her and gently rested her front paws against her pant leg so she would retrieve the documents.

Nara McKenna
Sep 16th, 2019, 07:54:07 PM
"Oh good," she beamed down at Roxane as the feline approached her. "You're okay."

As Garou, she understood that some found it difficult to shift so quickly back and forth. There were many who could do it so fluidly that you barely saw their bodies conform to their chosen form, but some it was painful and difficult. Some even had to stay in a current form for hours until enough strength was summoned to revert back. It was possible that Roxane's Bastet tribe was like that, or it was an issue that was hers alone. Otherwise, why not shift back to human form to open the door?

"HEY NARA! SHE OKAY?!"

She sighed as Paul's shrill voice cut through the pleasant moment of Roxane gently nuzzling and rubbing against her, even feeling the purr vibrate through her boot. A deep scowl lined her face as she watched Roxane trot off towards her desk. She slightly leaned back so her voice would carry down the hall.

"She's FINE! Door was just stuck!"

"HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN?"

She narrowed her eyes and summoned patience. "Remember the car window?"

"WHAT?!"

A moments pause and Paul chimed back in with understanding.

"OH! THAT WAS SO FUNNY! YOU WE- ERK!"

She grinned, knowing Vicki did the silencing on her brother and looked down when there was pressure on her leg. Nara crouched and plucked the contract from Roxane's mouth and gently stroked her head. Perhaps she shouldn't have done that but technically the Bastet initiated contact with the rubbing and nuzzling. Hopefully she didn't mind and swiveled on her heels to take a look at the cat door, knocking it a few times.

"You got that stuck pretty good. Here ..." With a grunt, she pounded against the stubborn door and loosened it. After a few test runs of gently pushing at it, she nodded at how easily it swung back and forth with minimal effort. "There ya go."

Roxane McDonnell
Sep 16th, 2019, 09:48:46 PM
Roxane still felt bad for displaying potential weakness, for she would be able to shift back and forth with greater ease, if it wasn't for that fucking looming pryio change that decided to make her life miserable once again at the wrongest time possible. She wished Nara had barged into her life at a better moment; but life had decided otherwise.

She was relieved when Nara beamed at her though. It made her purr louder, at least until Paul had to interrupt even from afar. Oh she wanted to sink her teeth into the bastard! She swatted the air with her tail for a brief moment, relaxing thanks to Nara's proximity. At least, he had inquired whether she was okay, but still, she felt double embarrassed for having got trapped in her own office.

Also, she wanted to thank Vicki, because she guessed that whoever had smacked Paul was his sister, based on her recent observations, at least whenever her attention wasn't solely upon the Galliard. Alright, Vicki had shut him up, so she'd be a good kitty this time.

She was happy when Nara stroked her head after retrieving the contract. She waited as the Garou made sure the cat door worked properly again.

She gave an appreciative meow and went through it a couple of times as a way to thank the musician for her help.

As she saw Nara ready to get back to her feet, Roxane instinctively rushed back to her. She rested her front paws on the brunette's thigh and nuzzled her arm, hoping she'd get picked up. She felt a bit weird for displaying and requesting affection as such; but she always felt a bit bolder when in more difficult times, when in feline form.

Hopefully Nara wouldn't mind.

Nara McKenna
Sep 17th, 2019, 08:09:51 PM
Nara understood what Roxane was saying without speaking cat and shrugged with a half smile. "It's not big deal, but you're welcome. Not like I can be here all night if you get stuck in your office again, right?"

They both could agree on that and when she started to get up, Nara's ascent was halted by a pair of kitty paws on her leg and firm nuzzles on her arm. Her lips thinned tightly because what Roxane was doing was no different then Lupus pups going around the cairn looking for affection and play. With a contract in hand, Nara was quite certain the Bastet wasn't looking for play.

"You want up?" she asked, unable to hide the uncertain tremble in her voice.

The affirmation was another solid headbutt and loud purr, which made the Garou practically beam that Roxane trusted her. She did promise the Bastet she would assist her however she could to alleviate the stress and anxiety she felt during this strange time in her tribe's cycle.

"Okay then." Just like taking care of a pup, Nara reached under Roxane's belly and picked her off the floor. With a little finagling, she briefly cradled Roxane with the other arm before guiding the Bastet's belly securely against the left side of her chest. Then she stood up with a sigh and gave Roxane a poignant look. "You got my permission to hiss at Paul for all the fucking pussy jokes he's about to make right now."

Roxane McDonnell
Sep 18th, 2019, 01:45:53 PM
It was amusing that Roxane was being such a friendly kitty to a Galliard, even though the Bastet had never been one to have general issues with Garous. To her it had always been about the individuals. She guessed that having had her tribe decimated after years of persecution made her more likely to have an open mind, instead of simply following rules and prejudices.

She felt happier than she had expected - or wanted to - when Nara picked her up and settled her in her arm. She purred even more loudly, nestling herself so it was comfortable to her and practical for the musician. She appreciated the attention and care.

Part of her felt guilty that maybe she was using Nara's blooming interest and oath; but as much as she felt like an idiot for being drawn that much to the Galliard, she knew it came from a sincere heart. All of this was a bad idea, but she couldn't deny that she appreciated Nara's company already and that she found solace in her presence. Yet the last thing she wanted to do was hurting her, and she knew that she could leave desolation behind her.

When Nara gave her permission to hiss at Paul for the imminent pussy jokes, she nuzzled the musician and meowed in agreement.

As they made their way towards the back area where the rest of the group was gathered, she caught the look on Paul's face and hissed at him preemptively.

Nara McKenna
Sep 30th, 2019, 08:26:50 PM
Nara was a curious Garou, especially to her band. There were so many parallels happening right now that it was disturbing, even if her kin weren't aware of all the details. She could easily take away the names Fiona and Brigid and insert it with Roxane.

Roxane knew Cormac, like Fiona.

Roxane may not be Immortal, but she lived centuries like Brigid.

She felt an instant pull towards the Bastet, similar to when Nara first met Brigid.

The were big differences in how Roxane reacted to her. It was clear that she was struggling with her auspices, as the Garou would say. Her longevity and solitude, uncertain if she were the last of her species was a burden to bear. Tonight was one of those nights and Nara respected that, hence escorting kitty Roxane around in her arms. The other point of difference was when she was with the Immortals, her ancestor's klaive never felt so alive then in the presence of the Bastet. Cormac's spirit called to her and urged the oath, not even a murmur of energy when she presented the blade before Fiona and Brigid.

Which is why she needed to keep her mind focused and be Roxane's friend as much as she was inwardly preening at the offered nuzzles and purrs.

She barked with laughter at the immediate hissing. Paul's chair shot back as if he was physically slap. "What did I do?!"

"Think it was about what you were going to do," offered Vicki.

"Or whatever verbal garbage you were gonna say," said Ethan.

"Bwah?" Paul sputtered and looked at his band mates, utterly offended. "I wasn't!"

Nara raised a brow on approach and gently set Roxane on the table. "Really?" she objected but not quite as loud as Paul. "More like our new boss made sure you wouldn't."

Paul crossed his arms and hrmped. "So ... what I'm hearing is that I need to behave right now, or I get hissed at. Maybe worse."

"Got it in one, Paul. Honestly... there's a time and place for the jokes. It ain't now." Nara's voice was sharp with no room for back talk as she sat down and looked to her band. "So ... there was time to look over things while I was helping Roxane."

She cast a glance at Paul who was red face and behaving, but he so wanted to say something.

Ethan decided to lead the discussion. "Sure did, Nara. Here." He turned the contract around and slid it to her. "Take a look at the back page."

She pursed her lips while tapping fingers over the first page before scooting closer to the table to get a good view of the last page. Nara flipped to the last page and was equally surprised and entertained.

"Y'all decided to sign this without me?" She chuckled, giving them all an accusatory look. "That's a first."

"So was the generous offer," Vicki said, smiling towards Roxane as the others murmured there agreement.

"Just one thing left to do." Paul presented the pen to Nara.

She briefly closed her eyes and lightly shook her head. Her band kept surprising her. They all decided to come to London to start a new life even rebranded themselves with a new name. This was to wash away the past and be themselves once again before Chicago happened.

"Well ..." she began and opened her eyes, taking a long look at her kin and then Roxane, "all right then."

Half smiling, she looked down and added her name without hesitation.

Roxane McDonnell
Sep 30th, 2019, 09:27:37 PM
Part of Roxane was chiding her for being as affectionate as she was in her cat form, taking advantage of being snuggled in Nara's arms. She hated that part of her wanted to experience that in her human form. It was all a folly, given they had barely met, and that there was the oath between them. Also, Roxane was wary of falling hard for someone for she knew she was a challenging lover; and for what she had gathered, with how the Garou had worn her heart on her sleeve through hints and especially the obvious song choice earlier that day, the blonde refused to bring heartache to the Galliard.

She would be a friend, nothing more. Fighting her longings was something she had done many times in her life, and Nara was worth struggling to make sure she wouldn't harm her. Hell, if anyone was to hurt the Garou, Roxane would likely claw their eyes out and have no regret doing so.

The Bastet was a protective and kindhearted individual; but it didn't mean she had issue with her violent side. One wasn't a survivor as she was with burdening one's self with pink-colored goggles. She knew better that that. It wasn't easy; but she trusted her moral compass.

She made a noise as close to a human snort as possible, when Paul reacted to her hissing. His reaction deeply amused her and she made gentle biscuits into Nara's sleeves. She was so happy to hear Nara laugh at her hissing. She gave a stern look at Paul, which eventually softened a little bit as the group chided him about why she had done what she had.

At the same time, she was relieved and very grateful when Nara made it clear that now wasn't a good time for certain jokes. She softly headbutted the Galliard in thanks.

She adjusted her position to make it easier for Nara to look at the last page when invited to do so. As much as she appreciated the Garou's care, she didn't want to be a burden either, a long story that rattled Roxane's lonely mind in the past centuries.

Roxane was shocked and meowed accordingly, before carefully jumping from Nara's arms onto the table. She actually went and made the round so to speak. She walked up to Vicki and nuzzled her hand, before going to stop before Ethan and purring loud at him, and then stopped before Paul. She intentionally kept the suspense going on for a second before actually nodding and giving a slight bite at his hand giving the pen to Nara, before purring a bit to show she was good with him.

She stopped and looked up at the Garou, before letting her breath out when Nara added her name. Once it was done, Roxane didn't think twice, and sat down, reaching up to wrap her front legs around Nara's arm before nuzzling her hand, purring louder than before.