PDA

View Full Version : The Last Book I Read...

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 9th, 2019, 10:32:49 AM
Time for some book talk! This isn’t a “favorite book” list but you can certainly list favorite books if you want.

The last book I read was Head On by John Scalzi. The previous book in the series is Lock In. Both really good, well paced crime/mysteries with a great near future scifi kind of cyberpunk twist.

Scalzi admitted on Twitter that he doesn’t do ANY outlining or editing before he sends his books to his editors and that revisions after that are generally just a copy edit. I hate him a little. He’s really good. I also read The Collapsing Empire by him and it’s SO good (sci-fi space opera). Redshirts is good too, and a lot of fun.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 9th, 2019, 11:04:44 AM
Invisible Women by Caroline Criado Perez.

Maddening but fascinating.

Satkia Beltrak
Jun 9th, 2019, 11:12:59 AM
Currently reading the following:

Insurgent (Divergent #2) by Veronica Roth - I devoured the first one, then was packing. I'm enjoying the series so far.

Craftfulness: Mend Yourself by Making Things by Rosemary Davidson and Arzu Tahsin - It's an easy read. I'm not learning that much from it; but it's a good recap of how crafts are good for the soul.

Witch: Unleashed, Untamed, Unapologetic by Lisa Lister - Her genital obsession is problematic as a reductionist view of women as well as being transphobic; but I still appreciate that she discussed the importance of both dark and light, instead of falling to the common pitfall of how anything that isn't sheer positivity is bad.

Miranda Tarkin
Jun 9th, 2019, 04:13:42 PM
Can graphic novels count? <_<

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 9th, 2019, 04:30:43 PM
Haha, I was just going to ask that, Dani ^_^;

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 9th, 2019, 04:40:05 PM
Why not?!

Cearia Tserta
Jun 9th, 2019, 04:48:32 PM
:)

Then it was The Legend of Korra: Ruins of the Empire Part 1. It is the second trilogy of graphic novels after the show ended that deals with the ramifications of what Kuvira did! There are political shenanigans abound!

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 9th, 2019, 11:43:43 PM
Mine was honestly more of a re-read, since I went from the beginning of K6BD to the most current page. I love the art and story so much, and the character dev is amazing.

The last book I read (from front to back) I think was Cleopatra's Daughter, by Michelle Moran.

Spark Vallen
Jun 20th, 2019, 05:57:43 PM
I've just started The Lost Girls of Paris, a fictionalized account of actual WWII history, where women had been recruited to be spies and saboteurs in France to disrupt the Nazi efforts/network.

Ilias Nytrau
Jun 20th, 2019, 06:46:23 PM
The last book I read was The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski. I need to read the other books in the series...

Satkia Beltrak
Jun 20th, 2019, 07:32:11 PM
Today I went through The X-Files and Philosophy: The Truth is in Here, edited by Robert Arp.

Besides a handful of compelling essays, most of it was frustrating and often sexist.

Aurelias Kazaar
Jun 22nd, 2019, 09:49:09 PM
I have been reading the Dread Empire series by Glen Cook. Can not recommend it enough. He’s better than George R.R. Martin.

An Ill Fate Marshalling is what I just finished.

Baska Tankreyd
Jun 24th, 2019, 08:33:18 PM
Fake Geek Girls: Fandom, Gender, and the Convergence Culture Industry by Suzanne Scott is one of the best books I have read about fan culture and creations, as well as issues of misogyny and harassment in popular culture and social media.

It was released 2 months ago, and does a great job at addressing contemporary iterations of such issues.

Spark Vallen
Jul 8th, 2019, 07:17:01 PM
I finished The Lost Girls of Paris - very intriguing story, based on actual events from WW2.

Now, I'm back to a Kindle book called Human Errors, which is non-fiction and looks at all the ways the amazing human body is... weird. :D From needless bones in our ankles to how our retinas are basically wired backward! Nerdy stuff, haha.

Baska Tankreyd
Jul 9th, 2019, 05:14:52 PM
I'm currently reading Twelve Steps to a Compassionate Life by Karen Armstrong. It is an interesting book so far; and I especially appreciate its interfaith aspect.

Spark Vallen
Aug 14th, 2019, 08:00:07 PM
Reading Human Errors still, when I have my Kindle app open. Otherwise, reading The Radium Girls, non-fiction about young women who worked with radioactive material in the 1920s without any sort of protection... and the fight to find medical help for them when that ended badly.

Mu Satach
Aug 26th, 2019, 06:08:49 AM
I'm currently reading Twelve Steps to a Compassionate Life by Karen Armstrong. It is an interesting book so far; and I especially appreciate its interfaith aspect.

I like Karen Armstrong.

I'm reading Hiragana/Katagana for beginners.

Baska Tankreyd
Aug 31st, 2019, 02:44:36 AM
I finally finished reading Insurgent by Veronica Roth (Divergent #2) and it really picked up in the end.

Going to read Allegiant (#3) next.

Lukas Dantes
Sep 8th, 2019, 10:00:44 AM
I'm in the latter pages of Michael Crichton's Dragon Teeth.​ I wouldn't really recommend it.

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 8th, 2019, 10:43:22 AM
And I Darken by Kiersten White

Baska Tankreyd
Sep 9th, 2019, 04:50:29 PM
I finished Allegiant, and hated it for the most part.

Currently reading Four by Veronica Roth, the shorter book in the series, before I sell all of them.

Lukas Dantes
Sep 22nd, 2019, 05:11:48 PM
Just re-starting (for the third time?) Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix​

Satkia Beltrak
Sep 23rd, 2019, 03:35:42 PM
Just started Magic Study by Maria V. Snyder, the second book in the trilogy. I loved Poison Study, so I'm excited about this one.

Daanarri Meorrrei
Sep 23rd, 2019, 10:59:41 PM
The Lies of Locke Lamora
Red Seas Under Red Skies
and currently reading Republic of Thieves

wtf Lies of Locke Lamora was a Scott Lynch’s FIRST NOVEL ugh I give up he’s so good lol

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Sep 23rd, 2019, 11:48:18 PM
Phasma.

It was a lot of fun, and nice to get back into a Star Wars novel since forever ago.

Emelie Shadowstar
Sep 28th, 2019, 07:46:20 PM
wtf Lies of Locke Lamora was a Scott Lynch’s FIRST NOVEL ugh I give up he’s so good lol

That is so not fucking fair.
Also, I have only read the first of those yet but oh my god it was soooo good.

So, not done right now because I use it as "I am laying in a bath and need a story told to me" but the audio book version of Ahsoka is a delight, mostly because Ashley is the reader and it's like listening to old lady Tano tell bed time stories with voices and all. Can't recommend enough for the fun of it, really.

Also I'm sloooowwwlyyy (because I don't want it to be over and have to wait again) making my way through Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson because the Stormlight Archives' lore is just mind breaking and fantastic and jesus christ can this man world-build. After this I need to convince myself to go read some other author rather than diving back in to the Mistborn books I haven't read yet. :shakefist

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 29th, 2019, 05:03:50 AM
Last books I read were 'Anxiety as an Ally' by Dan Ryckhert and 'The October Man' by Ben Aaronovitch.

I'm part way through 'Gideon the Ninth' by Tamsyn Muir, which is proving to be a fucking delight (Sarah, I bet you would love it!)

Sadie K'Vesh
Sep 29th, 2019, 07:18:51 AM
I'm part way through 'Gideon the Ninth' by Tamsyn Muir, which is proving to be a fucking delight (Sarah, I bet you would love it!)

Reading it's about Necromancers and this line "Gideon has a sword, some dirty magazines, and no more time for undead bullshit." I'm so in. :lol

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 29th, 2019, 07:31:01 AM
:swoon: Gideon tho

Spark Vallen
Sep 29th, 2019, 05:38:19 PM
Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix

Tybalt Arcanos
Oct 2nd, 2019, 12:45:09 PM
Magic Study by Maria V. Snyder.

Still loving this trilogy. Starting the third one, Fire Study, today!

Emelie Shadowstar
Oct 13th, 2019, 06:13:56 AM
Just finished Gideon the Ninth... Jones was correct, I loved it.

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 13th, 2019, 06:16:44 AM
This morning I finished 'To Be Taught, If Fortunate' by Becky Chambers, who wrote the Wayfarers series (Long Way To A Small Angry Planet, etc). It both was and wasn't like the other books I've read by her. Much more rooted in the world as we know it, but still that kind of... hopeful scifi I've come to expect from her.

This week I also read 'The Monster of Elendhaven', which feels a bit like something V E Schwaab might write, and also kind of like it's set in the Dishonoured universe. It wasn't as good as I'd hoped it would be.. probably could have done with being a couple hundred pages longer.

Also

Just finished Gideon the Ninth... Jones was correct, I loved it.

Everyone read this book! So good.

Aurelia Wayne
Oct 22nd, 2019, 07:42:43 AM
Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince
Becoming (Michelle Obama)
Worlds Without End (Follett)

They're all kinda going on at once, depending on where I am and what I have time to read.

Tybalt Arcanos
Oct 22nd, 2019, 10:25:17 PM
Finally reading Rebel Rising by Beth Revis. I'm enjoying it a lot so far. I love learning more about Jyn Erso.

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 23rd, 2019, 01:14:31 PM
'Stronger, Faster, and More Beautiful' by Arwen Elys Dayton

Set in our world, spanning the near to distant futures, Stronger, Faster, and More Beautiful is a novel made up of six interconnected stories that ask how far we will go to remake ourselves into the perfect human specimens, and how hard that will push the definition of "human."

Interesting stuff! This is accidentally the second book this month I've read about genetic manipulation, although with a much less hopeful feel than 'To Be Taught, If Fortunate'.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 31st, 2019, 09:43:12 AM
Finally read the last two books in the "A Darker Shade of Magic" trilogy. :D

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 7th, 2019, 09:51:21 AM
^ Good choice!

The Armored Saint by Myke Cole was the last thing I read :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 7th, 2021, 03:14:27 PM
In An Absent Dream by Seanan McGuire

Ben Merasska
Feb 8th, 2021, 10:16:43 AM
fae child by j.h. meissner (really underground, you might not have heard of her)

Daanarri Meorrrei
Feb 8th, 2021, 10:46:50 AM
fae child by j.h. meissner (really underground, you might not have heard of her)
I'll have to look her up!

:lol

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 8th, 2021, 11:48:50 AM
I've heard that one is pretty good

Satkia Beltrak
Feb 16th, 2021, 08:00:37 PM
Currently reading Binti: The Night Masquerade by Nnedi Okorafor. So far the trilogy has been fascinating and I am curious to see how the conclusion unfolds!

I also just started The Belles by Dhonielle Clayton.