PDA

View Full Version : Outlandish Voyage

Nara McKenna
May 7th, 2019, 07:46:38 PM
The midnight blue Suzuki GSX quieted after its owner secured the kickstand and with the helmet still on, took a cursory glance around the neighborhood. Gloves were plucked off and tucked into the side zippers of the form fitting red leather jacket, attention focused on the Moonstone Cafe across the street directly behind. After dismounting the bike, Nara pulled the black helmet off and sighed before securing it on the back.

London was overwhelming and entirely Michele's fault. The young Immortal had coaxed the Black Fury into following her across the ocean to get away from the shit show Chicago had become and try out a new crowd for her music here in London. For the young Garou, the idea was daunting. She had never traveled outside of the states but a large part of her heritage came from the islands. She was curious to see where she came from, have the stories she had listened to come to life.

But first she needed to establish herself and understand the political entanglements of the shifters here. So while her band, and also kin, went sightseeing, Nara decided to scout the areas her tribe had recommended. The cafe she was heading to was one of them. With the hustle and bustle of cars and pedestrians, she kept her senses dull or risked being overwhelmed and overstimulated. Until she got used to the pulse of the city, Nara couldn't risk becoming debilitated. If this was Chicago or Portland, or any city she had called home for several months, she would allow her senses to roam free, knowing instinctively when to modify her hearing to avoid being startled by a loud car horn blocks away, or dull her sense of smell when there was a sewer block. It was familiar. London was not.

Still very much jet lagged, Nara entered the cafe to take it all in and see who was here this late afternoon before getting desperately needed coffee...

Roxane McDonnell
May 7th, 2019, 09:02:32 PM
The late afternoons could be busy at the Moonstone cafe, when students stopped by for some after class chill and esoteric reads, or just because they hoped the last batch of fresh pastries of the day would still be awaiting them. Roxane had been away part of the day, driving out of town to get new goods to add to the bookstore and esoteric shop. She hadn't had time to set them up yet. They had a sale going on for a couple more days, so she would rearrange things the following week. It was what made more sense.

She also felt tired because of the moon's changes. She knew that her Priyio was about to change again, and she felt that she was headed towards a daylight one that made her more intense than usual. It was the rarer kind for her to experience. She originally was a nighttime one, making her quite introvert and the accomplished dark magician she had become over the centuries. The irony was that the daylight one tended to make her more social. The transitions always felt hit and miss even after such a long existence.

She was happy at the chatter going on the moment a bunch of students showed up and started raiding Lila's counter; but she wasn't ready for the sensory overload. So she retreated towards the large room at the back of estbalishment, which served as evening bar, sometimes with live music. Feeling a bit more relaxed, Roxane actually got herself an ale from one of the refrigerators behind the bar counter, and popped it open. Since she had some times for herself, she could as well just arrange tables for the evening.

Back at the front, Lila handled the ravenous university students, and once they were happily claiming a table, she turned her attention to the lone woman appearing behind them. "Welcome to the Moonstone Cafe! What would you like?"

Nara McKenna
May 7th, 2019, 09:28:01 PM
It was just her luck that college students were out for the day. They were the worst bunch too - loud, hungry, college students. Normally Nara could care less but her exhaustion and lingering headache due to the massive time change was making her prickly. Glaring brown eyes snapped towards the new voice as the students found a table far, far away from her. Eyes widened with exhaustion and a hint of desperation as she ran a hand through her unruly brown hair.

"Tell me you have a pot of coffee I can guzzle down," she pleaded, her American Accent giving Nara away. "Cuz jet lag's a bitch."

Roxane McDonnell
May 7th, 2019, 09:31:54 PM
Lila heard that American accent right away, even before the brunette bitched about jet-lag.

"Give me a second, and I'll get it ready for you."

The young woman grabbed one of the bigger coffee pots, taking the new customer to her word. While coffee was on the way, she picked a large mug and handed it to her, informing her of the price, and waiting for payment. Within the next minutes, the coffee pot was set on the counter.

She leaned forward and discreetly gestured towards the open backroom. "If you want some quiet from the monsters, you can sit there. Roxane's there, but I don't think she'll mind."

Nara McKenna
May 7th, 2019, 09:44:04 PM
She chuckled at the college students being called monsters. They were more an annoyance then a real threat because she knew what real ones looked like. She fought them. This woman should know too if she worked here but the Garou was too tired to get a sense if this woman was kin, a sister, or some other gifted. She wanted to keep her magic honed in for emergencies right now.

Nara grabbed the handle of the pot, hooked a pinky around the mug handle and offered a tight smile of gratitude. "Thanks. Think I'll do just that if this Roxane don't care. And if she does?" She shrugged, dangerously tipping the coffee pot to where it looked like it would spill. "I promise to find a nice wall outside to keep me upright while I down the coffee and bring your stuff back. Cool?"

Roxane McDonnell
May 7th, 2019, 09:49:07 PM
Lila chuckled and gently shooed the customer away, before returning her attention to what was left of the last afternoon batch. Whoever that woman was, she was tired as hell, and some quiet should help. And Lila was confident in her coffee-making abilities. And she knew that Roxane wouldn't mind. She had caught how her boss had needed some peace of her own today. A jet lagged, coffee-guzzling customer should cause no issue at all.

In the backroom, Roxane had finished setting up the table, and was sitting at one, nursing her ale, as she went through the list of purchases she had picked up in the morning. She perked up when someone approached. Her eyes fell upon the woman, one she didn't know; but one she believe was no human either.

"Hello," she said with a tired albeit warm tone.

She caught sight of the pot of coffee instead of just the mug. That was a lot of coffee, though Roxane wasn't allowed to judge, or even wanted to. The maxi size of her teapots had earned her lot of teasing in her long life.

"I take it Lila must have sent you here for some quiet," she added with a lopsided grin.

"Sit wherever you want," she said with an accompanying gesture towards the room. "I'm Roxane by the way."

Nara McKenna
May 7th, 2019, 10:04:32 PM
Once she was shooed into the backroom, Nara immediately noticed the stage and wondered what sort of shows the cafe hosted. She never did get a real answer from her contact - just that the cafe was safe for Garou. She scanned the size of the room to gauge how many people it could hold when her eyes rested on the woman that had to be Roxane - who was definitely a sight for sore eyes.

"Hey," she greeted back with a voice that wasn't as gifted in concealing her exhaustion right now, which rather irked the galliard right now for some intangible reason. "And yeah. She did."

Here was the part of social necessities that required her brain to function. The woman out in front definitely hinted Roxane wanted some quiet, just like her, but the garou didnt want to be rude either as the whole point of being here was to establish herself in a new city in a new country.

Two tables away not only seemed fair, it was the closest to her, so it was a win in her mind. She swung her leg over the chair and sat down with a an 'omph'. Sitting down without a destination in mind on a bike made her body feel weary. She immediately set the mug on the table and poured. "I'm Nara. And thanks for letting me stay back here. Not that busy in front but the students make it sound like the place is fucking packed."

Roxane McDonnell
May 7th, 2019, 10:10:51 PM
Out of habit, Roxane observed the other woman with polite but direct scrutiny. She always felt territorial towards her establishment, and when tired, her instincts could flare up even more. This place meant a lot for her, and she wanted others like her to feel safe and like they could come in anytime. At least, they could as long as they weren't assholes. Some had definitely got nasty scratches and bites from her cat form in the past. And she wasn't sorry one little bit.

"There's more where that comes from if this isn't enough," she said with a nod towards the coffee pot.

She took another sip from her ale. She didn't want to get in the woman's way, especially as her tiredness was visible. And she wasn't at her most sociable or energized either. She felt very feline in the "let me nap in peace" kind of way.

"Well-met, Nara. And you're welcome."

She chuckled at the remark about the students. "Yeah, this time of the day during the week makes the place almost as bloody loud as during bar hours. It takes certain stamina to put up with them. Lila has plenty of it thankfully."

Nara McKenna
May 8th, 2019, 06:44:57 PM
Nara quirked a brow over the mug rim, wondering how badly she looked if Roxane was offering more coffee. Lila gave her a full pot to begin with!

"Hopefully this'll be enough," she said, noticing that her drinking companion looked weary too. The Garou couldn't even begin to guess as to why since her own brain could barely keep her physical necessities functioning. There was unconscious curiosity that would slowly simmer to the surface when the caffeine really hit her.

She did find a smile. "Lila seemed like an expert in corralling loud people. Course, that's just a quick thought with a brief convo with her."

After another sip, she continued. "If I wasn't so ..." her other hand came up and twirled her hand at the wrist "... brain fogged, I'd be alright up front. Dealt with enough college students myself."

That population made up a huge portion of her fan base when she held gigs at smaller venues.

Roxane McDonnell
May 8th, 2019, 10:41:45 PM
Roxane hadn't planned to have a conversation; but she nevertheless felt compelled to speak with Nara, despite them being obviously both tired. The blonde took another long sip of ale, and chuckled softly at the remark about the coffee pot.

"Lila is a gem. She's worked with me since I opened this place almost ten years ago. I envy her reliable stamina with all and any customers," she explained with a grin. When at her establishment, the Bastet always made sure to be professional, and even friendly with a number of regulars; but with her complex and unexpected mood shifts, it wasn't always an easy feat.

She arched a brow at Nara's mention of having dealt with college students. "Oh? Higher ed professional? Or am I totally missing the mark?" She could very well be with how tired she was, but she was curious.

Nara McKenna
May 9th, 2019, 07:35:40 PM
In an instant, Roxane had Nara's full attention. She owned the cafe and was a potential point of contact for shifters. Silently she praised herself for not being too gruff and dismissive with the other woman because of lack of sleep. It meant that Lila would be in the know too, but was she kin or not? Questions to ask later once the coffee kicked in and maybe Nara would feel strong enough to sense it herself. Though the Garou wondered about the stamina remark with Lila if she were more than just kin.

She couldn't the slight chuckle that escape, almost making her break out in a full on belly laugh. The jet lag was making her feel euphoric and giddy for that brief moment.

"Sorry," she calmed herself with a few long, drawn out, breaths and cleared her throat. "Not trying to be rude. Just really slap happy."

Downing some more coffee, Nara answered her question. "Definitely not a teacher. Why I was laughing. I could never see me doing that. Ever. Not my thing."

She took another sip. "I'm actually a musician. Played a lot of gigs in college towns and met a lot of them pre and post shows."

Roxane McDonnell
May 9th, 2019, 08:06:45 PM
Roxane wondered whether Nara had come to the Moonstone Cafe because someone had pointed her there, for her establishment had the reputation of being a safe spot for shifters, immortals, and assorted preternatural beings. It was possible the other woman was only here by accident; but that was quite rare. The blonde couldn't exactly place her, but she knew that they were both part of the same community. Her senses didn't fail her, even when bloody tired as she was now.

Then Nara's loud and cheerful laugh broke through the silence of the back room, and the Bastet couldn't help smiling and chuckling. "No apologies needed. You have a contagious and freaking adorable laugh, Nara."

Roxane grinned at Nara's explanation about her not being a teacher. Frankly, she couldn't blame her. She guessed it had to be one of the positives of being one of the very last of her tribe, and be huge loner. She never had to train anyone as she had once been educated in the ways of the Bastets. She doubted she would have the patience.

"A musician? What kind of music?"

Nara McKenna
May 9th, 2019, 08:26:40 PM
The apology wasn't due to Nara being embarrassed by her quick burst of laughter. She just knew that Roxane had wanted quiet back here and the Garou may have ruined that. She was pleased to hear that wasn't the case when it coaxed out a chuckle from the blonde and one hell of a compliment.

"That right?" she grinned, which wasn't as suave as she pictured in her head. It was more of a lopsided smirk as brown eyes focused with a narrowed gaze. "Thanks."

Her audience of one was becoming more interesting and the caffeine was helping to coax conversation. "Hard Rock/Metal. Just depends on my mood and how I feel the music should go. Thankfully the band's patient with me cuz we can spend hours banging out notes and come up with nothing. It's a process and all."

Roxane McDonnell
May 9th, 2019, 08:38:12 PM
Roxane had really wanted her quiet, but the unexpected visitor piqued her curiosity more than expected. She chuckled at Nara's reaction to the compliment. The blonde liked people could laugh freely, instead of stuck-up chuckles that were supposed to be well-mannered but only sounded hypocritical as hell. She knew she was a handful due to her changing moods due to her nature; but she was mostly straightforward as an individual. She liked people who were like that. Sure, she could be a devious minx as quite a few people had called her; but unless people crossed her, she had little interest in being a manipulative Bastet.

"Hard rock and metal? Alright, when do I get to hear you?" She grinned before finishing her ale, pushing the empty bottle away from her notebook and pen.

"Process is something many people stupidly dismiss," she mused, thinking about her practice of dark magic. The humans loved to talk about how it was the journey not the destination, which was kind of over the top and cheesy as humans could be; but it held a grain of truth.

Nara McKenna
May 9th, 2019, 08:53:04 PM
This was going far better than expected and downed the last of the coffee. As she refilled the mug, she nodded with agreement. "Right? How the hell can anyone create anything if you don't have some way to concentrate. And there's no right way of doing it either. Just gotta find what works. But to get back to your question..."

Nara grinned as she set the pot down, leaning closer towards Roxane, which really didn't close any distance since they were still two tables away from one another. "Band's out right now being London tourists. So if you wanted to hear something, all you get is me."

Roxane McDonnell
May 9th, 2019, 08:59:24 PM
"Exactly! I mean we're all individuals for crying out loud. It's normal we do things our own way. But some people, well they just don't even try." The Bastet was perking up again, which was a usual side effect when she got intrigued about something or someone. "Granted, too many morons walk down this planet anyway, so it shouldn't be surprising."

Smirking, she got to her feet while Nara refilled her coffee mug. She went to discard her empty bottle, and then went to check one of the fridges, fetching herself some orange juice. She felt that more booze for now wasn't her best option. She was feeling a little refreshed and she wanted that to last.

She walked to the table where Nara was sitting. "Well, you sound like a real nice start," she said with a grin.

Nara McKenna
May 10th, 2019, 08:10:32 PM
She bubbled out a laugh before her lips curled back to reveal a toothy grin. Roxane was not wrong. Human or supernatural, there were a lot of idiots on this planet who'd probably die from combustion if the correct neurons rubbed together properly. The grin barely softened when, to her surprise, Roxane came to her table. She kicked out the chair across from her with invitation.

"Got any instruments back there to make good on that assumption?" She touched fingers against her clavicle and gently followed the curve up towards her neck. "Or would my voice be enough?"

Nara hoped she wasn't misreading the banter. If so, she had a good excuse with the caffeine kick overriding the exhaustion.

Roxane McDonnell
May 11th, 2019, 01:19:46 PM
Roxane slid in the chair across Nara right after the other woman had kicked it out. She shook her head at the mention of instruments. "I used to have some spare and decent instruments in the back; but I don't since we redid the area a few months ago."

She wasn't much of a musician herself; but had a couple of friends who were and normally kept extras in the backroom, but they had been traveling. Roxane definitely hoped they could have more bands featured in the evenings.

"My music manager is actually off in France at the moment, helping for some big event."

Hell, when Isabelle had hesitated to help with the De Montespan's upcoming festivities in Versailles, Roxane had practically packed her out at once. Not only was it one hell of a thing for her friend, but it would also make it look good for the Moonstone Cafe due to the connection.

Roxane quirked a brow at Nara, and grinned. "I believe your voice may very well suffice."

Nara McKenna
May 11th, 2019, 08:44:34 PM
"That's alright, I guess. I mean, I'm not much help here either since all my equipment is stuck in the back of a U-Haul outside my apartment," she explained. "And even if I knew I'd get a impromptu audition, I didn't have any room on my bike to bring anything."

She downed the last of her second cup, regarding Roxane curiously. Slowly the mug came back to the table, barely making a sound. "Course, is this just a pre-audition until your manager comes back, or you get the final say?"

Half smiling, Nara poured herself a third cup. "Or dare I say this is just a private audience?"

Roxane McDonnell
May 11th, 2019, 08:51:22 PM
"Yeah fitting goods and equipment in a limited or altogether nonexistent space can be a challenge," Roxane quipped, her tiredness returning a little bit at the memory of the very long morning.

She quirked a brow as she met Nara's eyes when the questions came next. She paused for a moment, pondering on it. Her lips curved into an amused smile. There was a definitely feline quality about the Bastet as she kept her attention upon the other preternatural woman. The conversation and interaction were unexpected; but she found them quite enjoyable so far, a lovely surprise after a long day, and a tiring week.

"Those are not mutually exclusive," she replied before taking a sip from her drink. "For the record, I have the final say, though Isabelle and I rarely disagree, although I lean on the edgy side compared to her."

Nara McKenna
May 11th, 2019, 10:14:58 PM
"Once we're all so less displaced, it'll be easier. Not that my band's all organized and stuff, but we could set up and break down our gear quick and efficiently. Have to on the road most of the time," she explained rather proudly. Her kin were the best band mates a Galliard could ask for.

Now that her mind was a bit more clear, Nara appreciated this tête-à-tête. What really made this intriguing is that the both of them knew the other walked the path of the gifted. They were just dancing around the specifics.

"And that's why you were intrigued with me. Because of my musical preferences," she stated with understanding and had an idea. "Pick a favorite song of yours and I'll sing it. If you like it, how about I get that final say in performing here?"

She took a sip of her third cup of coffee, feeling the force wakefulness that she desperately needed.

Roxane McDonnell
May 12th, 2019, 02:21:14 PM
"It can be difficult to stay in one place," Roxane mused. Due to what she was, she used to disappear and move around about every year, sometimes more often in some bad times. She had been able to stabilize in London in the last while, but she still went off the grid on a regular basis, needing it for her well-being. She was fine being considered too much to handle, and appreciated the complexities of her changing personality, but she had no want to fall prey to the insanity that her people could experience. That was a line she'd rather not cross.

The blonde grinned to Nara. "I'm the hard rock and metal gal around here. Isabelle has to pull me to other styles though at this point, she knows that we're not turning the place into a mainstream club." She chuckled, remembering a good many times Isabelle and her bantered over music genres.

She kept her bright blue eyes upon Nara for a moment, liking what the musician said. She liked a straightforward and bold personality.

"Deal. I wouldn't want you to perform somewhere you don't want to after all."

Musing over the song choice, she eventually made up her mind, for she always had a difficult time picking a favorite of anything. "Edge of Time (https://youtu.be/HTBoXUFI3wM) by The Scorpions."

Nara McKenna
May 12th, 2019, 08:09:06 PM
She agreed with Roxane's opinion on the difficulties in staying in one place. Nara tried that in Chicago and it ended in war and heartbreak that had wounded the Garou's soul so badly that she ran away across the ocean. It was a difficult, but fresh, start and things were already looking up on day one. She'd have to remember to thank that lead of hers for the recommendation and Michele in convincing her to come to London.

"Good thing I'm not mainstream," she said with approval. "Classic choice too."

Carefully the Garou pushed the coffee cup, saucer and pot a safe distance away. The table would be her instrument to get a beat going and the taps and raps against the wood too close to the dishes might cause a spill here and there. She shifted her weight on the chair, spreading her legs so feet planted on the floor as if she were in front of a drum set.

"Not gonna be the same without the guitars, but I'll do my best," she admitted with a grin and closed her eyes.

Nara heard the opening notes and waited for the right moment to start using her hands to the table where the drumsticks would land on snare and toms, cracking against the cymbals as her foot tapped against the floor in place of the bass drum.

As she began to sing, Nara opened her eyes and remained riveted to her audience of one across the table from her.

Only the Lord knows the answer
To the mess this world is in
At the end of the rainbow
We're scared to death once again
Life's getting shorter every hour
It keeps on feeding in my face
Why can't we stop the evil power
That will kill the human race

Nara hit the melody perfectly, mirroring the high notes with a little flare of her own, showing off her range in maintaining the syllable even longer than Klaus did during the chorus. A gift of being a Galliard blessed by the spirits.

Right, baby don't cry
Keep on dancing tonight
On the edge of time
Right, baby don't cry
Keep on dancing tonight
On the edge of time

Her head bobbed as she hit the imaginary cymbal, hair swishing back when she locked gazes with Roxane again.

Only the Lord knows the answer
To the mess this world is in
This place has turned into Atlantis
And it's already started to sink
Life in the fast lane
Has turned into a dead end street
Let's turn the wheel back to the future
Let's use the power of our dreams*

She passionately belted out the chorus one more time, her feet and hands moving in perfect rhythm on the invisible drum set, harmonious with just her voice and hands, slight tapping of boots against the floor. If Nara could recreate this song so simply - imagine the possibilities with a full set of instruments and her band.

Hands quickly pummeled out a few notes to end the song. The Garou's cheeks were slightly tinged pink from the effort and the caffeine. She smiled, eager to hear Roxane's appraisal as she leaned back against her chair, an elbow hanging over the edge.

"So ... what didja think?"

Edge of Time (https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=edge+of+time+lyrics) lyrics by the Scorpions

Roxane McDonnell
May 12th, 2019, 09:39:44 PM
"I wouldn't picture you as mainstream for sure, though we're all composed of many layers," Roxane mused with a quirky grin. Going deep into other people' souls was something that always fascinated her, at least when the individuals in question earned her interest and hopefully her respect.

She nodded at Nara's words about her choice. "I was lucky to see them perform this one live during the tour following the album release." It remained some of her best live music experiences.

The blonde then kept quiet as she gave her complete attention to the brunette, watching her movements and then finding herself very easily enthralled in her rendition of the song. While a classic, she knew it was a tough pick, especially when working with no actual instrument besides the make-do ones the musicians relied on.

She had genuinely expected Nara to be good; but the world collapsed around her as she got lost in her version of "Edge of Time."

"Holy shit," was all that Roxane was able to blurt out when Nara asked for her opinion. She chuckled and twirled a loose strand from her blond hair, before tucking it behind her ear.

"That was bloody impressive. Wow, you'll have me speechless whenever I hear you with all instruments!"

She canted her head to the side, her mind suddenly connecting dots, based on that haunting way Nara had held certain notes.

"Galliard?"

She might be wrong, but she doubted it. It wasn't just outstanding talent, for the way she had sung certain parts was not only inhuman but had this throbbing quality that she had only ever heard from a group of Galliard many moons ago.

Nara McKenna
May 13th, 2019, 07:58:33 PM
That quip of seeing the Scorpions when the album was released made the Garou a little jealous. She was just a little kid back then and wouldn't have gotten near a real concert for another six years - albeit sneakily and so very much underage - at a Green Day concert in D.C. She had the time of her life and was inspired to write words to the songs that were just music in her head and written on paper. To give birth to lyrics cemented her future as a Galliard, the ground work laid out by her mother who was certain that her daughter was one of them. Garou.

Those gifts moved Roxane. Nara could feel her appreciation before praise was blurted out and felt triumphant that she won the cafe owner over. "Be careful, Roxane. If you're not careful, you might faint when you hear my band play."

With a grin, she pulled the saucer back and took a sip as her companion sussed out who exactly Nara was. Roxane had good intuition, a quality needed when running an establishment like this.

"Yes. I am," she admitted, giving Roxane a once over. "Not entirely sure what gave it away tho ..."

She chuckled, finishing her third cup of coffee and deciding that the rest of the pot wasn't needed anymore. Roxane had her complete attention.

Roxane McDonnell
May 13th, 2019, 08:21:58 PM
Roxane gave a devilish grin to Nara when she was warned about what might happen when she saw the Garou play with her band. "Well then, I dare you to make me faint when I hear you perform with your group." Her feisty and intense nature was always present, regardless of what aspect of her personality was currently taking ownership of her moods. She meant every word she had said. She had especially done that because her intuition told her that Nara had the capacity to meet her challenge.

It seemed that the brunette was recovering from the jet-lag, given how she pushed the coffee pot away despite not having finished it.

She smiled to the musician's confirmation about her nature. Roxane pondered on what to say or not to say; but chose to speak of her experience with people like Nara.

"Centuries ago, some Galliards gave me shelter when I was on the run. The way they sang. I had never heard that deeply haunting quality until I heard you today. It isn't something one can easily forget."

Nara McKenna
May 29th, 2019, 07:35:54 PM
Grinning back, she accepted the challenge. "Guess that means I got the job, eh?"

She folded her hands atop the table, riveted to Roxane's story, wondering what Roxane was. Despite her gifts, Nara had yet to master sensing other supernatural creatures. Garou and kinfolk were not a problem, anything else was a puzzle to the Black Fury. And this was an interesting puzzle. Roxane admitted to being as old as some Vampires, but the time of day suggested that was not her true nature. Ancient Garou wouldn't have given her shelter if she weren't to be trusted.

Nara hunched closer, her curiosity growing and a sucker for a good story. "Tell me about them. The Galliards that helped you."

Roxane McDonnell
May 29th, 2019, 07:58:41 PM
Roxane beamed at Nara's reply. "Since you accepted the challenge, very much so," she replied, winking to her new acquaintance. She still wondered who had recommended the place to the brunette. She would eventually find out. "You can see the main room here of course, but we also have space for you and your band to store equipment or get ready. And we arrange for some time off hours for you to rehearse so you can get a feel of the place." She wasn't venue manager so to speak, but the Cafe was still her baby.

A sad smile passed on her face at Nara's question. Yet she was willing to share. "Let me grab myself a drink and I'll tell you. Do you need anything else?" Waiting for Nara's response, she then went to retrieve snacks and drinks, choosing some black tea and some muffins from the employee stock.

Making herself comfortable, she took a bite from the blueberry muffin. "I'm a Bastet, one of the very last Ceilican. I spent my youth between France and Ireland. When my tribe was mostly decimated, I was on the run for many years. At some point, I was in England thanks to Ireland Bastets I knew. They vouched for me and a group of Galliards let me stay with them for several months." Then her yearly bout of near-madness had hit, but that was another story.

"The haunting quality of their chants was therapeutic, and helped me mourn a lot, as well as renew my longing to stay alive, no matter what had happened to my people."

Nara McKenna
May 29th, 2019, 08:52:47 PM
Nara grinned at the affirmation, nodding as Roxanne went over the details. She looked at the room with new eyes, imagining how she would set the stage to give the band enough room to move, how many people could be packed in here, would the band get free drinks ...?

"Water please." She didn't want to test her stamina and start on the alcohol with most of her body fueled on caffeine.

She perked up at the snacks and plucked what she thought was a scone from the basket. Giving it a sniff, Nara bit into it and enjoyed the light sweetened flavor. She continued to munch on it as Roxane told her story. Nara felt a memory tickle her brain, trying to force its way to consciousness. It was similar to deja vu but these were ancestral memories trying to be heard. This happened on rare occasions due in part to her unique heritage prevalent in Crinos. She gave the Silver Fangs a run for their inbred money with being pure bred through natural means. She was blessed by Gaia, her body infused with potent blood and power.

Instinctively her hand went to touch the outside of her jacket. She clutched it and in doing so, felt the shape of the klaive hidden there. It pulsed with energy, since Roxane mentioned her true nature.

"Do you ... do you remember any of the Garou's names that helped you?" she asked, breaking out of her reverie.

What're the odds if she knew him ... she wondered.

Also Nara knew next to nothing about Bastet except through stories of the mothers and crones of her camp, but this Ceilican breed was new to her. All Bastet were secretive and being the last of a breed that Nara had never heard of, she had to know more!

Roxane McDonnell
Jun 2nd, 2019, 07:19:16 PM
Roxane made sure to bring water back to Nara; though she couldn't help rejoicing at seeing her dig into one of the scones. She gave a Cheshire cat grin to her new acquaintance. "We staff might keep a few stashed baked goods every day." She chuckled, because it was obvious it was the truth. She was just feeling quirky, and her spirits were up again after the current time preceding her Priyo changing and the exhausting morning.

She noticed how at some point Nara's hand went to the outside of her jacket. It was a weird happenstance that Roxane couldn't figure out; although she kept her curiosity to herself. While she felt safe to reveal certain things about herself, especially after having survived for so long, and generally trusting fellow preternatural individuals coming to the Moonstone Cafe.

When asked whether she recalled any of the Garou's names, she canted her head to her side. She narrowed her eyes at the brunette before her. She was wondering about a specific someone. That, Roxane was sure of. What the connection was remained a mystery, but she felt all the more intent on learning more about it.

Regarding the question at hand, she pondered on it for a moment. Her memory could be as excellent as horrendous, and it could be random at times, although right before a Priyo change could be almost as bad as during the insane time of the year she had to juggle with.

"Danae was the elder. She had such a beautiful voice and a warm heart. Riordan was a pain in the ass, but loyal till the end." She paused, seeing faces in her mind as clear as if it had happened the previous day, but the names were eluding her for longer than she liked. If she had her journals she could go through it, but right then and then, her memory was a mess.

"I hate to admit it; but I see all their faces and can give you random facts, but the names are only well-kept in my journals, which are at home. Is there someone in particular you're expecting me to have met?"

Nara McKenna
Jun 2nd, 2019, 08:53:57 PM
Nara couldn't help the disappointed look on her face after swallowing the water and setting the drink down. She also didn't hold anything against Roxane for her shoddy memory. It was centuries ago and the young Garou couldn't fathom what it was like having that range of information and keeping it all straight. She was attentively listening to anything Roxane had to say, but nothing she shared sparked any tangible connection to her ancestor. Cormac had ran with many Garou at various times so the names spoken didn't necessarily mean he was there.

But there was still hope.

"Yes," she admitted gruffly. "An old Fianna Galliard named Cormac. The odds are a long shot that you've met him but ... it would just really be something to speak to someone that actually met him."

She downed some more water and wiped a stray drop left on the side of her mouth with the back of a hand before continuing. "He was my great-great grandfather."

Roxane McDonnell
Jun 3rd, 2019, 10:28:23 AM
Roxane saw the disappointed look on Nara's face, and couldn't help wishing her memory had conjured up more names, especially whichever the Garou seemed longing to hear.

She waited for the brunette to hopefully answer her question. She knew how private many of their kinds could be, herself included. The thin line between putting things out in the open with fellow preternatural people, and keeping things to one's self out of self-preservation or simple preferences, could be a challenging one.

The moment Nara said who she was hoping to hear about, memories flooded back to Roxane, connecting the name to a Garou that had crossed her mind only moments ago.

"You're Cormac's descendant?"

She smiled and couldn't help laughing. "I should give you a good few drinks on the house then, given how many times he let me snag his flask back in those days." Grinning, she relaxed in her chair and took another bite from the scone.

"He was so powerful and yet so ready to protect those in need. I know that first hand. He was among the first who chose to have me stick around. He taught me how to be a better fighter too. While we're different species, we had this kind of understanding of each other's, especially as time went on."

Nara McKenna
Jun 4th, 2019, 07:12:55 PM
Nara watched the nuances of pensive lines smooth out as realization came to Roxane! She did know Cormac! She enthusiastically smacked the table with a palm while grinning, grateful for the good fortune in their paths crossing. Nara was meant to be here at this time and place to find Roxane.

"This is amazing! I've only heard stories about him that were passed down through the generations. But you were actually with him! Spoke to him!" Nara didn't care at all how fast she spoke or how much she gushed at the Bastet.

She laughed after the comment about the free drinks, not surprised that Cormac was one to share his own. That much she had heard and it was endearing to have it confirmed.

"Legends can lose meaning over time. Become these fantastic adventures that're heavily embellished. Sure there's truth to them but one wonders if the Garou deserved the praise, ya know?" Her eyes shined with controlled tears, full of pride. "It's humbling to hear just how great he was."

And did she really deserve to be part of that sacred lineage of Fury and Fianna? Doubts began to creep towards the surface as she wondered.

Roxane McDonnell
Jun 5th, 2019, 12:04:35 PM
Roxane couldn't help smiling fondly at Nara's reaction when it happened that she had indeed met the Garou's ancestor. Those who had such long lives could sometimes forget over time, or as the brunette said, stories were embellished, and so much happened that memories could fade and blend.

"He was amazing. This bunch of Galliards are among those who helped me most when I was on the run."

Roxane mused over these long-gone events. "Cormac was one of a kind; and I am glad to know his lineage carried on. It isn't always the case with us preternatural beings."

After all, Bastets born to Bastets often had health issues; and their mental difficulties generally speaking didn't make them the best kind of parents anyway, even if some offspring could come to life normal. She genuinely loved her long life, and she prided herself in having survived that long, and continuously preserving shreds of sanity, even during the hardest times her physiology plagued her with.

"If you'd like, I could go through my journals and share with you what I have written about him."

Nara McKenna
Jun 8th, 2019, 10:16:16 PM
"He must've found his wife after he met you since you didn't know he had children. They were all kin and never shifted. Until me."

Nara barely remembered her first shift - just the pain and flashes of movement and voices. After it was over, she learned who she really was by the Furies that treated her reverently. She had no idea who she resembled when she shifted. That wasn't explained until the newly shifted Garou was brought back to the Black Fury Tribe and properly indoctrinated with stories, song and preparation for upcoming rituals to prove she was as powerful as the ancestor she represented - The Great Black Fury Philodox Eoen. Hours were spent by listening to stories that span days, hoping wisdom would be instilled in the young Garou.

She had a lot to live up to but Nara was going to prove herself worthy in her own way. There were several generations between her and Cormac and Eoen but those two combined histories created unrealistic expectations for Nara in these modern times. The threats of the Spirals with Pentex as a driving force required creativity and patience. Her camp understood that but others wanted her to be more proactive and be groomed to lead. That was not her way. She loved traveling, creating music, and protecting her people from the taint of the Wyrm. Sitting around leading wouldn't accomplish that.

She wasn't going to allow the past to define her, but it was prudent she understood where she came from.

"I'd be grateful if you could. A chance like this.... it means a lot to see whatever it is you can share about him ..."

Roxane McDonnell
Jun 10th, 2019, 12:08:39 PM
Roxane nodded to Nara's observation about the timeline of when she had met Cormac. "I stayed a while with them; but was eventually on the move again. Most people still think my tribe is fully extinct now. I've not even run into anyone of my kind since then. Being hunted eventually faded out; but back then I didn't want to stay with anyone too long. I didn't want to endanger them, even when they were quite resourceful."

Shifting had become second nature over time. And it had even helped her move quicker when persecuted too. She found some solace into the shifting process, even when at certain times it could still be somewhat painful for unexpected reasons. Certain days when she really felt asocial, she would even roam the Moonstone Cafe in her cat form, hiding on top of one of the bookshelves, so she would keep an eye on her domain but wouldn't have to bother with human interaction.

Roxane nodded with a smile to Nara's positive response to her offer. "How long will you be in London? I could bring the journals to you here soon."

While she had a strong positive impression from the Galliard, it didn't mean she was ready to let her in her personal residence. Roxane very rarely let people do as such. Her home was sacred and she disliked sharing it with most guests.

Nara McKenna
Jun 10th, 2019, 07:29:00 PM
It was a throw away line but Nara glommed onto the fact that few knew that Roxane's kind still existed. She needed to take that to heart and do as her ancestor did - protect Roxane. The feeling was overwhelming, the results of past feelings of friendships reaching out through generations of blood. It was the potent ramifications of being a pure blood at times. The concealed klaive only heightened that link to Cormac.

"I understand the need for secrecy. Especially for you. I can't imagine what it's like to maybe be the last of your kind. I take what little trust you gave me seriously and I swear to you, on the blood of my ancestor who protected you, that your secret is safe with me." She declared, feeling that oath bound to the weapon of kin long gone.

"So... yeah ..." she shifted on the chair, leaning back hoping that very over the top display wasn't too much for Roxane. They had just met, or met again in the spiritual sense, and this had to be overwhelming since the conversation went from the levity of belting out rock songs and discussing job offers to oaths. Now she felt her words leave her. An ailment no Galliard should have!

Why did her passionate nature have to come out so awkwardly right now after being so focused with her declaration?

"London. I'll be here for awhile. New job and all." Brown eyes softened with uncertainty. "I mean, if I still have the job offer and stuff."

Roxane McDonnell
Jun 10th, 2019, 08:13:15 PM
Nara's oath took Roxane by surprise. It had been centuries since she had heard something as such; and she found herself at a loss of words. There was a searing pain that returned to the surface of her mind and soul, the old cry for her kind that would never be answered anymore. Even if scattered others had survived, which she entertained loosely every once in a while, it would never be the same again. There was no going back. She had formed connections over the years, more or less deep, often not as close as she might have wanted; but an oath brought her back such a long time ago.

Without realizing it, her eyes had turned cat-like, same deep blue hue, but in the way they would normally indicated she might shift. She eventually realized it, and willed herself back to pure human form.

"You are his descendant. There is no denying you're from Cormac's bloodline, Nara," she finally said, her voice rawer than she wanted it to be.

She bowed her head with a solemnity that she rarely exhibited. Her sharp edge was common knowledge, but rarely exhibited in such a manner. "Thank you for your oath. It means a lot, and I didn't expect that."

She relaxed her posture a bit, her mind still processing what had just occurred.

When the Galliard answered the question about London, and wondered whether she still had the job, the blonde couldn't help laughing wholeheartedly.

"Of course you do! I'm very happy you agreed to this. And you still have a dare to handle."

She grinned to the Garou, before continuing. "Also, I want you to know that the least I can do for what Cormac did for me back in the day, is making sure you are well provided for while in London. If you need anything, please let me know."

She had had a tendency to play "mamma cat" to fellow preternatural in London for a long while. Many had specific relatives, allies, or leaders, to turn to; but she knew too well how burdensome isolation could be, and if she could help, she would.

Nara McKenna
Jun 11th, 2019, 05:57:12 PM
Her posture straightened with surprise at the subtle shift in Roxane's eyes. She knew with Garou that deeply felt emotions can trigger a desire to shift. Was it the same with her companion's kind? Out of respect, she waited patiently and made no mention of it. This was not the time to act curious and point out the obvious, especially so with the emotion she was attempting to conceal in her voice.

Nara smiled gruffly with amusement. "Yeah, well. I wasn't planning on it either but ... it needed to be said. It was important."

And something Cormac would want, she thought, feeling the potent magic simmering from under her jacket due to the klaive.

She wasn't sure why this was so important to her ancestor. If she were fortunate, memories could be invoked as she slept. There were times when dreams provided glimpses into her past. Those memories helped her tribe find Cormac's weapon and it was gifted to her as his heir.

Roxane's laughter, though genuine, hid the rawness laying underneath. It wasn't best to pry as what happened here between two strangers bound by a common Garou was significant. Nara was not used to being so vocal about these things, keeping to herself after the way things ended with Brigid. They both had the same fiery spirit and the fights outweighed the passion for each other. That was why making the oath to a stranger took her by surprise.

Not a stranger. And old friend of the family's, she reminder herself.

"When I tell the band the good news, they're gonna loose their shit cuz I got us a gig so fast. But really, Roxane? You don't have to go above and beyond for me. Knowing that we got steady work and a safe place to be 's more than enough." She plucked another scone from the basket and grinned. "Well, having a large stock of these definitely wouldn't hurt though!"

Roxane McDonnell
Jun 11th, 2019, 07:59:27 PM
Roxane was fairly certain that the Galliard had noticed the brief shift in her eyes; but she was grateful she didn't pry into the matter for the time being. She would have answered questions; but she liked not having to. Time would come for them to discuss her kind in greater details. She had no doubt about it.

She chuckled at Nara's amusement about how the whole oath thing had gone down. "I'm glad you did. It brought me back a long time ago."

While she had made a name for herself over years, decades, even centuries, she had mostly remained at the edge of the grid, if not completely off, except in the recent while in London since opening the Moonstone Cafe. There was a certain irony that only a handful of people, only one she was still sure he was alive, knew her birth name. She had become Roxane such a long time ago that she didn't know if she'd even answer to her first name. By the time she had met Cormac, she was already Roxane.

"I rarely get to run back into old acquaintances, or even their lineage. It has to do with having run out of pack and tribe many moons ago," she added with a dry chuckle, though there was a sadness in her eyes. She had made the best of her life, and had even managed to curb the madness with significant success for the most part; but fate could make things lonely.

She grinned when Nara said her band would be happy to hear the good news. "I hope your band likes the venue. I can bet my music manager will stare at me for bringing another rock band; but she knows me well enough to know it also suits the vibe of the place." While by daytime her establishment was the cozy magic kind, it turned into a growing dive bar that patrons learned to love by night.

"I'm happy to help when I can." She couldn't help laughing at Nara's comment about the scones. "Well, this is pretty much a given. Lila and I wouldn't have it any other way. And you might even become a guinea pig when I try new recipes." While she didn't bake everything herself at this point, all recipes were her own.

Nara McKenna
Jun 13th, 2019, 07:53:36 PM
Her uncertainty faded with Roxane's reassurance, glad that her new ally found comfort in what happened. The Garou had to admit it was a difficult concept to grasp not having a pack or tribe to fall back on. Nara's pack had changed over the years, recently returning to just her and kinfolk. Though the shift in energy between her and Roxane that bound them, and with the Galliard performing here, she had a feeling that pack was going to expand again.

"I'm really glad I flew across the ocean to London," she said with sincerity.

She was exactly where she was meant to be, but it was back to business when talk returned to Roxane's business manager. "I'm confident we'll win her over. It'll be fun convincing her. Few times seeing us play and there'll be no doubt why you hired us."

Once the band had a chance to play a few times, entertaining a crowd that would be food and drink here, whoever this woman was couldn't argue the benefit of having Esoterica on their weekend schedule.

Dark eyes lit up at the mention of being a food guinea pig. "Definitely up for that. Be happy to try out any new food stuff you and Lila think up. Sure my kin would too."

Roxane McDonnell
Jun 15th, 2019, 07:31:01 PM
Roxane found it uncanny how Nara had come all the way to London with her band, and had been told about the Moonstone Cafe, got to chat with her, and they found the Cormac connection. Of course, the Bastet had seen many uncanny things in her long life, beginning by what she was; but she knew that life worked in mysterious ways at times. She still had a tendency to analyze things, even if in a mystical way; and she couldn't help pondering on the chain of events leading to the oath that had occurred.

She chuckled at Nara's confident quip about winning Isabelle over. She nodded firmly. "You can bet on that. I can already picture the scene."

The blonde grinned when her new acquaintance and ally expressed interest in trying new food stuff. "Well, we'll be happy to have some goodies for you whenever you guys are ready to try the place out. I have an appointment soon; but I'll give you my contact information so you can let me know when you guys are ready to stop by and I'll make sure to be around."

Frankly, the Bastet was present quite often during open hours; but she nevertheless had other things on her plate on a regular basis.

Nara McKenna
Jun 15th, 2019, 08:48:18 PM
"Well, hoping it's a good scene and not that, oh shit, we're making a scene, scene," she jested.

Roxane and her manager appeared to have a good relationship from what she heard. The Bastet's tone was full of playfulness and fondness for her colleague meaning the little rivalry between them was all in good sport.

"And I definitely took up enough of your time." She pulled out her phone and slid it across the table. "To put your info in. I'm guessing we'll be ready in the next few days. Once we're settled."

She wanted to return here as soon as possible, but the young Garou did not want to come across too eager after the intense moment they shared. Roxane had survived this long without her. Nara could be patient and distract herself in rehearsing with the band.

Roxane McDonnell
Jun 16th, 2019, 05:31:15 PM
Roxane burst in laughter at Nara's quip about making a scene, scene. She liked the Galliard's sense of humor. It was quite a good match for her own brand of jesting. She appreciated such things in others. While she could be immensely intense and quite dark at times, the Bastet liked bringing some levity, even when of the sarcastic kind, to her existence and her interactions with others.

As the brunette slid her phone towards her, Roxane entered her contact information, so they could be in touch, and figure out when Nara would return, likely with her band.

"Here you go," she said, sliding the device back across the table.

"I look forward to seeing you again, and I can't wait to hear you play with your band. That solo a capella performance earlier was impressive in itself, so I can't wait to hear you with everyone else."

However things had happened to lead to this encounter, the Bastet found herself intrigued by the Garou, and was glad they would get opportunities to discuss more.