PDA

View Full Version : A Homecoming, Of Sorts (Navaria)

Serena Laran
Apr 19th, 2019, 10:13:55 PM
Serena stood waiting at a safe distance while the newest ship to arrive on Ossus settled on the landing pad. As gases vented and the ramp lowered, she clasped her hands in front of her. It had been a few years since she’d seen this particular Jedi, and she was anticipating the reunion.

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 19th, 2019, 11:15:50 PM
Navaria glanced down from the shuttle as the ramp lowered, taking a long, cleansing breath, as reality of her time away from Ossus really struck her. The last time she had contact here was years back by holocomm for a meeting with the council. Since then the Force had taken her on various adventures in the Outer Rim systems with Daria, both seeking out their purpose as the Jedi adapted here.

Which was where she needed to be right now.

She walked down the ramp and nodded to who greeted her.

"Master Laran," she smiled, stopping before the other Jedi. "It's been a very long time."

Serena Laran
Apr 19th, 2019, 11:22:20 PM
“Master Tarkin,” Serena said warmly, striding toward the shorter Jedi. “It has been much too long.”

She took Navaria’s hands and pulled her in for a hug. “I am so glad you are back, Navaria. And Daria?”

Serena looked past the other Jedi to the ship. “Is she joining us?”

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 20th, 2019, 11:52:43 AM
The warm welcome surprised her, but it touched Navaria. She squeezed back before pulling away to see where Serena's gaze headed.

"She's on Agamar exploring the mountains until I return," she explained.

Daria didn't wish to return to Ossus just yet and Navaria respected that. She was hesitant herself but she did feel a sense of duty in returning when Master Laran contacted her.

Serena Laran
Apr 20th, 2019, 08:40:03 PM
“Ah, well.” Serena hid her disappointment at Daria’s absence. The blind Jedi was a strong leader and was well gifted with the Force. One thing the Jedi of Ossus could not get enough of were Knights and Masters to train the inexperienced. The ones they had were stretched thin. The way Navaria said ‘until I return’ was not heartening either. It seemed she intended that this visit be a short one.

”Perhaps in time the Force shall lead her back among us here,” she said at last, clasping her hands behind her back as she turned to reveal the path toward the rest of the town. “I am so glad you were able to come back, Navaria. I was hoping... well, let us walk toward the Council chambers.”

Serena gestured to where one could just make out a golden dome in the distance, past the modular dormitories.

“It is a bit of a walk,” she added. “Sanctuary has certainly grown roots while you have been away.”

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 20th, 2019, 10:07:08 PM
She didn't want to burst Serena's hopes at Daria returning here to Ossus any time soon. Her dear companion found the planet stifling and would only come here if the situation warranted it. What that would entail, Navaria did not know but the Force would have to have a heavy hand in bringing the Knight here.

Navaria was curious to what words her fellow Jedi had left out, but that would be revealed in time. She graciously smiled. "I've been sitting in a shuttle for hours. A long walk will do me good."

She tucked her hands into her robe sleeves as they began to walk, taking in the view of areas that were once in construction now finished. So much had been built up since she was last here. It was good that the Jedi were thriving.

Serena Laran
Apr 23rd, 2019, 03:55:43 PM
The sun was warm and they walked in companionable silence for a bit. Serena quietly pointed out businesses that had not existed last time Navaria had been on Ossus, and were well established and thriving. Turning down the main road the two Jedi passed Knight Oolong and his gaggle of younglings sitting and studying in the shade of a large tree.

The children looked up from their math lesson, some of their little hands waving. Serena smiled, gesturing for them to face their teacher.

”We have been growing quite a bit, not just as Jedi but civilians have been joining Sanctuary. It brings challenges, as the Council is the ...governing body of the settlement, for lack of a better word. The Alliance personnel are here basically to balance out the Cizerack forces - oh we have a Cizeri fort on the east side now.

“Temporarily,” Serena added dryly. “Or so we were assured.”

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 23rd, 2019, 06:08:16 PM
It amazed her how much changed here over the years, the businesses especially! Ossus became an attractive locale for various reasons - Jedi and civilian. Though it was concerning that a two sided military presence were creating a foothold here. The Jedi and the Alliance were tied together for the common good and to make sure that relationship remained a boon for the Jedi, Navaria remained liaison between the two, even while she was away.

She did offer the little ones a small wave while her thoughts weighed heavily on the Cizerack issue.

"A fort doesn't sound like a temporary situation. What reasons are they using to justify this? Or are they still in their window of temporary sanctuary?"

Serena Laran
Apr 30th, 2019, 01:29:38 PM
"Very technically still in their window," replied Serena, dryly. "The assistance they offered in helping to establish this settlement was accepted by the Alliance. The civillian workers who came to build have come, and gone ...but many have stayed. We will always have need of technicians and engineers - honestly it has been overwhelming at times.

"When we arrived here, I pictured something more akin to how I lived while I was in exile," she confided, making the turn onto the main street toward the Council building. It was a simple enough structure, but the golden dome added an eye-catching touch that could be seen from just about anywhere in Sanctuary.

"I lived a simple, solitary life for so long. All this activity seems ...much too much."

Serena waited for a speeder to pass, and then led Navaria across the street toward the Council chambers.

Navaria Tarkin
May 3rd, 2019, 09:28:57 PM
She was aware of the deal brokered between Alliance and Cizerack, just not the finer details as her relationship with the Alliance had become quick communications over the years. It was why Navaria was surprised at how extensive the Pride's involvement had become with the established fort. On the positive side, the growth was beneficial in keeping the community thriving with necessary beings who had their part here.

"I'm sure all of us had a different vision for what home meant for the Jedi. And all of us in exile, we're used to that ... isolation." It was close to a confession without coming out and saying it. "Being in one place is an adjustment that many of us weren't ready for."

Navaria's eyes glanced upwards at the dome. "Myself included."

Her focused returned to her fellow Jedi. "Do the other members of the Council feel like you do?"

Serena Laran
May 3rd, 2019, 10:17:38 PM
“Solomon and Master Wei have left the Council,” Serena said, matter-of-factly. “Both felt the Force drawing them away, and who am I to argue with the call of the Force. I am a seer, I know how powerful a vision can be.

”Zem tolerates the Cizeri presence better than I.” The Jedi master pulled open the door to the Council room. “With just two of us in charge, it becomes difficult to break a tie.”

She laughed a little as she led Navaria into the council chamber.

Navaria Tarkin
May 3rd, 2019, 10:59:01 PM
Navaria nodded at the news of the departed Council Members, in agreement with Serena. Ossus had given many Jedi pause to considered their place here. She felt relieved that her and Daria's feelings about stagnation was shared.

She shared a smile with Serena as she entered the council chambers, taking it all in. "Yes ... that must be very difficult. Being stretched so thin in taking care of everyone here."

Turning, she studied Serena with wonder because the snippets of conversation appeared to be headed down a certain path as to why her fellow Jedi called her here. "Have your stalemates caused any hardships with the community?"

Serena Laran
May 3rd, 2019, 11:35:52 PM
“Not yet.”

Serena opened the door to her small office, indicating a seat for Navaria and sitting behind her desk. There were only two chairs in the room.

”You were on the Council at one time, when we were the Wheel convoy.” She opened her palms, beseechingly. “We must have a presence here to train the new generation. If the older, experienced Jedi keep leaving then what will we have here, on Ossus?”

Navaria Tarkin
May 7th, 2019, 09:18:02 PM
She took the offered chair, relieved to hear that there hadn't been any fallout within the community as a consequence to the small council. The question that had to be asked is for how long? That concerned Navaria, as well as Serena, and her summons to Ossus was clear.

"That is one question to ask. As is the why Jedi are leaving Ossus." She held up her hands with a guilty look. "Myself and Daria are included with that."

Arms gently returned to rest as she continued. "I cannot speak for those that have left but for me I felt ... a calling. Like you, Ossus was ... a lot to take in. I felt I was better suited in searching for others that had the potential to become Jedi instead of being ... rooted. It almost was... unnatural after being alone for so long."

Serena Laran
May 8th, 2019, 12:01:28 AM
Serena took a slow breath as Navaria spoke, letting it out and blowing away the emotions that would only cloud her judgement.

“The reasons why people leave are theirs alone. I do not require any explanation.” She closed her eyes for a moment. “The old Order kept better records than we currently do. Jedi were in service of the Order, rather than fulfilling their own personal ...missions or I do not know what one would call it.

”I was hesitant to call you back, knowing what I must ask of you. I did not wish to run the new Jedi Order, but I have tried to be willing and open to do what is necessary to keep the Jedi alive. Not the Jedi tradition as it was, but the new traditions that we are putting in place.”

Serena steepled her fingers in front of her, and then put her hands in her lap.

”I am being called away from Ossus for a short while - the Alliance asked for assistance with labor negotiations on Sullust. I am the most qualified, and it will be good experience for my padawan. But, with the Council spread so thinly already my absence will be too much, and there is not enough time to hold a proper nomination process before my trip. Since you already have experience...” Her voice trailed off, and she lifted her eyes to meet Navaria’s.

”Can you stay? At least for a few weeks.”

Navaria Tarkin
May 8th, 2019, 10:39:50 PM
The calling of the Force, Navaria thought to herself. The Jedi were still in a state of flux and the journeys of many of them had become fragmented to the vision that was Ossus. The challenge was understanding how the Jedi were needed now and looking to the past for guidance wasn't providing any answers. And there really were no solutions that could be found on such short notice. Navaria's walkabout with Daria may have kept her away, but she never hid from her peers or the Alliance. It didn't change the conflict she was feeling now.

She felt the pull to be with Daria and continue their pilgrimage, but the urge to remain here was just as strong as Serena pleaded her case. What was the right path? She broke eye contact and looked out the window at the bustling community. Thousands were here that depended on the Jedi - whether as allies or teachers, or a potential menace if the Pride further cements its presence here. That couldn't happen if the ruling body was stretched thin and non-existent on Ossus.

"I'll need to send word to Daria." Her voice finally broke the silence with decision and looked to Serena with a half smile. "Since I'll be a tad late."

Serena Laran
May 8th, 2019, 11:17:27 PM
Serena smiled, her shoulders relaxing tension she hadn’t realized had been building. “Thank you so much, Navaria. I wouldn’t have asked, but... thank you.”

She opened a drawer in her desk and retrieved a datapad. Placing it on the desk she pushed it toward the other Jedi. “This contains a map of Sanctuary, a list of all the Jedi Knights, padawans, younglings, and initiates on Ossus, the training classes and sparring programs along with the weekly schedules and rotations of the knights guarding and working in the Great Library.

”I took the liberty of reserving you a room for the night, which you are free to use for as long as you need to. There are several stand alone living quarters constructed... here,” Serena tapped on the datapad, revealing the map and pointing to a location. “One of these will be yours if you wish it, as you will be staying a few weeks.”

She sat back a little in her chair. “We sit here in the Council Chambers once a week, but emergency meetings do get called from time to time. We are also marginally responsible for the Gossam settlement up the mountain - only in as much as they are here because we allowed them to be. And of course there is also the Ysanna to think about.”

Serena chuckled. “I apologize, it is... ​a lot.”

Navaria Tarkin
May 10th, 2019, 09:01:35 PM
"No thanks are needed," she said with a gentle, dismissive, wave. "If you need me here. I'm here."

This was too important for Navaria to decline. Yes she had her preferences but Serena and Zem were in a bind. The needs of the many had to be taken into account and it would be a disservice to the Jedi on Ossus if Navaria declined staying here to assist. She couldn't be selfish.

She looked at the datapad and started to flip through the information being explained. To see how structured the Jedi had become since the times of the Whaladon was certainly an eye opener. The number here was a staggering amount from what she presumed from their conversation and how many beings she saw on the way here. When Serena took over the controls, she nodded at the living arrangements.

"I'll take a look at the rooms tomorrow when I make my rounds." It was a quick reply as Serena was already rambling off more details and responsibilities that the Jedi Council had taken on.

Navaria could never have guessed so much had happened while she was away. To be fair, her thoughts strayed little to Ossus. That had to change fast.

"Yes, but I'll get through it. Tell me," she said, looking down at the Gorram settlement schematics, "how many knew of your intentions to bring me here? I hope it's not too much of a surprise and they'll be receptive."

She looked up and spoke plainly. "I speak mostly of the non Jedi. There's a lot of political nuances here after all."

Serena Laran
May 10th, 2019, 10:23:39 PM
“Zem knows, of course, as do some of the other knights among the Jedi.” Serena clasped her hands together.

”I also informed the leaders among the Cizerack and the Alliance members who are here that I will be absent for a few weeks but that decisions would still be going through the Council. As I did not know yet what your decision would be.”

Navaria Tarkin
May 11th, 2019, 10:31:09 PM
"Perfectly fair," she agreed. "And on a positive note, I still have a good relationship with the Alliance over the years. Time to time they contacted me for some guidance. I'm sure that will help now."

She sat back comfortably, no longer interested in the datapad. Navaria could read up on everything later. Serena was a better source to understand the pulse of Ossus and what immediate concerns needed Navaria's attention. "What are your main concerns here? Especially ones that call emergency council sessions. It didn't sound like it happened too often, but often enough that I want a little backstory."

Serena Laran
May 16th, 2019, 11:45:45 PM
Serena took a moment to collect her thoughts on the question Navaria had asked.

"As we are training younglings and groups of padawans in classes, moreso than strictly master/padawan pairings - because of our lack of capable knights and masters. As you know. We started these classes while we were on the Whaladon, and have continued them here. Sometimes there are differences of opinion as far as how to properly instruct a student. Since a knight isn't personally responsible for every student, such decisions have to be brought to the Council.

"Generally things are very quiet." Serena smiled gently. "I don't think you will have any trouble. And Zem will be here, for any questions you have."

Navaria Tarkin
May 28th, 2019, 08:57:07 PM
"I see." Navaria sounded curious. "Well, I'll catch up with Zem at his earliest convenience. Or mine, as the case may be. I'll be quite busy myself."

Navaria was already making a list and prioritizing what to read and where to tour first as she smiled towards Serena.

"Is there anything else I need to know before taking my leave? I don't want to take up too much of your time. You have to prep your Padawan since you'll be leaving soon."

Serena Laran
May 30th, 2019, 10:56:36 PM
"No, I don't think so. Well, you can use one of the other offices in the building. Master Wei never used his, but we do have six built in so there are a couple that have never been used."

Serena smiled a little sadly. "We are still quite a small group here, on Ossus. I feel the potential for growth, but perhaps we are simply what we are supposed to be."

She stood with Navaria, walking her toward the door. "Thank you again for coming - and for agreeing to stay. It means a lot to me, personally."

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 2nd, 2019, 06:42:03 PM
"I'll find my way to one of the unused ones in case Master Wei finds his way back to us. Out of respect."

She regarded Serena with an understanding look. "Or what is needed right now."

With the ebbs and flows of the Force, Navaria couldn't fathom what the future will hold for the Jedi. What mattered was the present and her place in helping the Jedi right now. Everything else would fall into place as it was meant to be. But for now, she had a lot to read over and prepare as she stood, touched by what Serena said.

She reached out and gently squeezed her fellow Master's shoulder. "I'm glad I can be here for you, Serena."

Serena Laran
Jun 8th, 2019, 12:28:16 PM
“Thank you.” Serena smiled warmly, and when the door was shut behind Navaria she turned back to her desk and the notes of Sullust she needed to go through.

It was nice to have someone else on Ossus to help shoulder the load, even if it was just for a little while.