PDA

View Full Version : Learning to Serve

Marine Lecavalier
Mar 30th, 2019, 03:43:47 PM
It was late in the afternoon when the transport Hera out of Gallinore arrived. As the architects of Villa Solis had not anticipated the need for the manor house to host large space-faring vessels, the Hera landed at a distance, in a wreath of fog. Marine watched the ship from one of the patios outside of the manor house, sharp eyes picking out the shapes of figures, with armour to match her own, stepping out of the Hera and onto Terephoni soil for the first time. Young women, newly confirmed as agents of the Chume’doro. Marine inhaled a slow, deep breath. They had no idea what they were getting themselves into.

Lira Terranova
Mar 31st, 2019, 05:20:25 PM
Major Lecavalier was not alone on the patio long. An inquisitive looking Ta'din Terranova emerged from within Villa Solis, free for the present from her Mighty Little Charge who was occupied with her parents for a change. With time to herself, Lira found herself wandering out to join the commander of the Chume'doro as she watched the arrival of fresh recruits for the Hapan Royal Guard.

"Good afternoon, Major Lecavalier. Will that be the arrival of newly enlisted security for Ereneda?"

There was a wistful look on the face of the queen's lady as she approached the major. Lira would not change anything about her life, but she had not always been the soft creature she was becoming. Part of her missed the Wilds of Onderon, and the sense of danger that came with it.

Marine Lecavalier
Apr 1st, 2019, 11:47:58 AM
The major turned a fraction, acknowledging the Queen’s lady with a small smile and a nod. Out of courtesy, she spoke in accented Basic, rather than her native Hapan. “They have spent their whole lives training for this day… the day when they finally meet Ta’a Chume.”

As the Hera shed it’s passengers, the guardswomen shouldered packs. Inside would be all of their worldly belongings. Marine’s smile grew a little, as she thought nostalgically of her own graduation from Gallinore. It would be a privilege, for each of them, to be dispatched directly to Terephon.

“They will perform a combat display for ereneda, later,” the major added, turning to face Lira directly. "You are welcome to attend."

Lira Terranova
Apr 1st, 2019, 09:29:05 PM
Lira thought about the mixture of excitement and pride the young women of the Chume'doro must be feeling. If what you chose to do with your life was to serve, then honors like this meant everything. It reminded her of some rather proud moments in her own life, but she stayed quiet. She had not been that girl for a while..

"I would like that. Thank you, major.", Lira almost smiled, happy to be invited rather than expected. It mattered, she found.

"I was quite accustomed to combat displays on Onderon. It has been a long time since I have attended anything of the kind."

Marine Lecavalier
Apr 2nd, 2019, 10:02:44 AM
“They are not common in the Consortium.”

A prevailing peace had ensured that the Hapan populace saw the Chume’doro and Chume’nor as little more than guardians, ever present statues that followed the Queen Mother’s every step. It was, blessedly, so rare that they were called upon to fight.

“There is an… idea that if the people do not see us train or fight, they will not know what we are capable of,” she added, one eyebrow lifted.

Lira Terranova
Apr 4th, 2019, 05:06:56 PM
She did not doubt what the Chume'doro or the Chume'nor were capable of. Lira had seen a glimpse of it, the night of the attack at the gates of the Fountain Palace. That night, she had been at the side of her Queen Bea, not anywhere close to where the actual fighting had occurred, but she had seen the flawless machine at work. She had told Captain Al'Gray that night, she was not helpless. If by some chance anyone had come into Beatrix's room, Lira would have been someone none of them would have recognized. It seemed though either she had not been taken seriously, or more likely that it did not matter. Ta'din Lira was part of House Alastor, others would protect her, and that was just how it was now.

"You do not say." Maybe it was best she did keep it to herself, for that very reason. Then again maybe that was information the Commander of the Royal Guard at least, should know. Lira considered it.

"Is it a secret? The training of a Chume'doro?" She glanced back toward the transport, wondering what sort of qualifications the girls had met before being accepted. For a minute, Lira even wondered if she would have been up to it, given the chance. Probably not right now. The only training she had currently was in the care and feeding of a royal five year old, but once..

Marine Lecavalier
Apr 5th, 2019, 04:09:39 AM
“Some parts, yes… but not all.”

The young women marching across the moor towards the Villa Solis seemed to realise who was watching their approach. Marine was not scheduled to welcome them to Terephon in any official capacity just yet, that would come later, after they’d had a chance to deposit their belongings. Still, there was obvious ripple of realisation through the group, their postures becoming straighter, chins lifting higher.

Marine smiled to herself.

“Is the training of the queen’s lady secret, also?”

Lira Terranova
Apr 9th, 2019, 08:09:12 PM
"Not so much."

It had been skills other than combat that had gained her the distinction of being the queen's lady. Lira was trust worthy. She was discreet. She was uncompromising in her loyalty to those she served. She did not ask questions. She did not have distractions, and she was not bound to anyone else. But she was not without other skills..

The lady herself also watched the progression of the group, observing the subtle difference in their collective stature, before and after taking note of Major Lecavalier's presence. It was telling of the recruits, but it spoke highly of their commander also. They wanted her approval.

Lira gazed askance at the major. "I was trained to defend Queen Adraudia when I was a ward at her court.", she admitted. "But that was a long time ago.."

Marine Lecavalier
Apr 10th, 2019, 12:52:21 AM
It did not surprise Marine, entirely, to hear that Lira had some skill in combat. What she knew of Onderon had lead her to suspect as much. It was the norm in the Consortium for young women to receive well-rounded educations, that could include everything from statecraft to sharpshooting to starship command.

The major turned, looking directly at Lira.

“It would be good if you could provide the same protection for the Chume.”

Lira Terranova
Apr 10th, 2019, 10:19:49 AM
It was not the first time Lira had considered such a thing. Inevitably she would give up on the idea. That was not the part she was needed to play. Chume Beatrix had protectors aplenty, not least of all her parents, to watch over her. That was not exactly why Lira hovered like a guardian angel about the little girl. Her safety was important, but her happiness also mattered to Lira. If that meant that she spent every waking moment making sure Beatrix was content, then so be it.

Things were different now in a way they had not been in years. That the Chume was spending more time with her parents did give Lira more unexpected time to herself. She tried not to let it excite her. "Do you think so? I got the impression I'd be in the way.", she smiled.

Marine Lecavalier
Apr 10th, 2019, 10:35:47 AM
“In the way? Most of the time, you are closer to ereneda than I am. You are best placed to protect her.”

Marine offered what she hoped was an encouraging smile. It was true: of all of the Chume’s many attendants, it was Lira who she favoured the most, and Lira who she appeared to think of as family.

“I can show you how, if you are… rusty?”

Lira Terranova
Apr 16th, 2019, 08:35:45 PM
The patient, not quite a smile, expression that was ever present on Lira's face grew more genuine. It was nice to hear some of her own thoughts confirmed, she had to admit.

Faced with actually seeing it through now, Lira regarded the major with a hint of nervousness. Yes, that was it exactly. She was very, very rusty. It had probably been years since she had done any actual training of any kind..

"I..would appreciate the help, Major. Thank you.", she found herself answering honestly, only slightly intimidated.

Marine Lecavalier
Apr 18th, 2019, 04:26:28 AM
“Find me when you have a spare moment and we can begin.”

Having deposited it’s passengers, the engines of the Hera flared to life once more as the pilot prepared to return to Gallinore. Looking behind her, Marine saw that once more the only figures around the exterior of the Villa Solis were the guards who had taken their posts at mid-day. Women who would perhaps be glad to have others to share their duty with.

“I should greet the new arrivals.”

She turned, to walk towards the villa’s adjoining barracks, but paused before taking a step.

“Would you like to join me?”

Lira Terranova
Apr 21st, 2019, 04:49:27 PM
Lira nodded gratefully. "I will do just that."

There was every chance that she would be having more moments like this in her days if Beatrix was going to spend more time with her parents. Without anything else of importance to occupy her time.. she might as well make her body strong. For Queen Bea, if not for herself..

"Of course." She did not mean to take up the Major's time.

For the second time in only minutes, Lira found herself invited along again. She felt a little rush of some strange emotion move through her. Her lips twitched but did not quite smile, though she did nod, finding she was eager to accompany Major Lecavalier. If only to watch and learn about her.

"I would like that. Thank you."

Marine Lecavalier
Apr 22nd, 2019, 12:24:09 PM
“Come.”

When they were on duty, the Chume’doro and Chume’nor could be found in every part of Villas Solis. When they were not, they were permitted either to explored the moors that surrounded the manor, or spend time in the barracks. It was to the barracks that Marine lead the way.

A broad courtyard, which served as a training yard, was enclosed on three sides by living quarters. In the training yard, fully armoured guards from Hapes and Onderon sparred. Marine walked by with only a glance at what was taking place. If anyone noticed the two women passing by, they were disciplined enough not to show their curiosity or surprise.

“This way,” the Major said, gesturing into one of the buildings off the courtyard. Along a narrow hallway, there was a shared bedroom bustling with activity. Someone spotted the armoured figure of Marine in the doorway and called for attention. Everyone in the room went as stiff and straight backed as a polearm.

“They are impressive, aren’t they, ta’din?”

Lira Terranova
Apr 24th, 2019, 04:07:21 PM
Lira followed along behind the major. There was really no point in anything so ridiculous as trying to blend in. Even when she had being making an attempt at relative anonymity it had been an effort in futility. She had simply been Ta'din Terranova, who wore hats. The wide brims, with their illusion of concealment, had been a bandage to her own tender self-consciousness. Put simply, she felt rather plain in a sea of beauty. That was the end of that though, Beatrix had finally decided Lira needed to look the part, and now she had a wardrobe full of delicate silks, weighty court gowns, and everything that went with them, courtesy of their five year old monarch.

If she had learned anything about being Hapan, it was how to fake it. Chin high, Lira smiled at the sparring figures, as well as those standing about, like it was perfectly reasonable that she should be walking through their otherwise undisturbed living space. It did seem a little intrusive, but she consoled herself with the knowledge that she had been invited to this little peek into the private lives of the Chume'doro. Curiosity was one of her flaws.

The very moment the reposed guards noted their commander was evident. Lira was impressed with the efficiency of their rise to attention as they presented themselves. She was also privately impressed with their leader as well. She smiled, just a little.. askance at Major Lecavalier. "Very. Yes, Major."

Marine Lecavalier
Apr 25th, 2019, 01:36:45 AM
Marine smiled to herself. Though she hadn’t been directly involved in the training of these latest recruits, she always felt a sense of satisfaction in the knowledge that another group had passed through the rigours of Gallinore and emerged stronger for it.

When went on, her voice shifted into the rolling lilt of Hapan. “Welcome to Terephon. I am Major Lecavalier, commander of the Chume’doro. The woman beside me is her majesty’s attendant, Lady Terranova.”

The group looked between the two women. About all Marine and Lira had in common at surface level was their fair hair, but there was no doubt to Marine that these young women would recognise the trappings of nobility on Lira. Like the major, her title and attire warranted a degree of respect that any well-schooled young Hapan woman would intuitively understand.

“Later this evening, you will perform a demonstration of your training for the Chume. The grounds of the villa are yours until then, but should not enter the villa itself or its surrounding patios. Only guards only duty are permitted in those locations. Understood?”

A wave of nodding heads signalled the acceptance of the implicit order.

“My lady, if there’s anything you’d like to say…” Marine gestured to the group.

Lira Terranova
May 2nd, 2019, 01:12:18 PM
Ta'din Terranova might have looked every inch the part of a noble lady, but it was a superficial layer to her. It was a twist of fate that had elevated her from a well-born hand maiden to her current position. The truth at her core was that Lira had much more in common with these woman than she did with the queenly mother and daughter that she served.

When Major's Lecavalier's voice returned to Hapan, Lira's head tipped toward the sound to better soak it up. All of her days were spent around the language now. She understood most of it, and could speak it passably well with Beatrix, although she remained hesitant to do so in other company. It was a beautiful language for a beautiful people, almost an art form in itself. She always got chills when Renart said something in Hapan, but until this moment only he'd had that effect on her. Still, there she stood transfixed with the major's speech, forgetting for a moment that her own role had been addressed as a part of it..

"Oh.. Oh yes.", she said, even though the answer would have been a resounding 'No.'. Lira was quite accomplished at blending into the scenery, speaking to groups was not exactly her cup of tea, but she absolutely did not want to disappoint the major after having been included in her address.

"I would just like to express my thanks for your service to our queen. I have served more than one queen in my life, but no one like Queen Beatrix. She is truly worthy of your dedication, and your love..", she nodded with a touch of reverence, meaning every word. It was not until she had finished that she realized she'd spoke her words of gratitude in Hapan.

Marine Lecavalier
May 3rd, 2019, 10:27:02 AM
There was obvious sincerity in Lira’s words. The sentiment brought a smile to Marine’s face. The new arrivals did not smile, of course; their stillness and practised stoicism was a credit to their training.

“We will see you later this evening. Be certain you are ready.”

With that, Marine turned away from the group. It was a fleeting visit, but she did not want to overwhelm them, only to let them know their place until the evenings demonstration. Having imparted that knowledge, she took a step back and gestured for Lira to walk ahead of her, back out into the open air. Once they were outside, the Major stood with arms folded over her chest as she regarded the Queen's lady.

“You speak Hapan very well. You are... almost flawless.”

Lira Terranova
May 5th, 2019, 10:12:47 AM
Having already done it, there was nothing further to be nervous about. Yet, Lira's insides still squirmed with something.. maybe a little anxious. Grateful as she had been to accompany the major, she was equally as grateful to return to the outside air. Preferring to remain on the periphery of Beatrix's life, being shoved out into the center of focus had been disconcerting. It had also made her do something she would normally never have done. Apparently Major Lecavalier was adept at managing all kinds. Even foreign, timid types like herself.

"Do I?" Lira seemed surprised. "I've been under the impression that I was butchering the language.."

The comment had been made a long time ago, when Lira had been first learning Hapan. Still, it had done it's work in shattering her confidence. Maybe that had been the point, and she should not have let it discourage her to begin with.

The compliment from the commander of the Chume'doro went a long way in repairing the damage, giving Lira an instant rush of confidence that she had been lacking.

"Thank you, Major.", Lira felt her cheeks heat up, and knew that it was likely they were pink.

Marine Lecavalier
May 5th, 2019, 01:33:52 PM
At the suggestion of Lira Terranova butchering anything, Marine lifted an eyebrow.

“I think whoever told you this is jealous, that you can speak our tongue better than we can speak yours.”

In spite of the fact that it had been years since Prince Tristan had married Princess Razielle, and almost as long since the Consortium had entered a politicial concordance with the Alliance, instances of Hapan's speaking Basic were about as common as males in positions of power. For the average Hapan, it was considered simply not necessary, but a good many members of the palace staff had become passable speakers. Marine had insisted that the Chume'doro and Chume'nor learn, as it was clearly the tongue that the Chume herself preferred to use.

Marine glanced about, first at the open training yard, then at the clear sky above them.

“It is a good day. If you have no duties to attend to, I have time now. I can teach you a few things, if you like?”

Lira Terranova
May 5th, 2019, 03:30:28 PM
Lira had never considered that, but it was very probably true. She had experienced some other small signs of jealous aggression when Razielle had chosen to keep her at the queen's beck and call, rather than elevate some noble Hapan-born lady to the position of honor. It had made some waves initially, which was also when she had first started learning Hapan.

"I had not though of that.", she admitted, a little sheepish that it had held her back for so long.

Following the major's gaze to the training yard, Lira arched a brow looking down at her dress. "I have time. If you have something else I can get changed into?"

Marine Lecavalier
May 6th, 2019, 07:35:45 AM
“I have just the thing.”

It had been a long time since Marine had worn anything remotely like Lira’s gown, but once they reached one of the barracks kit rooms, the Major made surprisingly quick work of helping the lady out of her dress. The barracks had an armoury with an abundance of suitable alternatives, including sets of lightweight body armour that were worn by royal guards in the making.

“Have you worn armour before?” Marine asked, as she lowered the breastplate over Lira’s head.

Lira Terranova
May 8th, 2019, 08:27:39 PM
When the major said she had just the thing, Lira followed along trusting and maybe a little eager. The schedule of her previous days had been a routine, one that did not include any kind of training. The unexpectedness of today was making her stomach flutter in excitement. Or maybe that was just due to the way Major Lecavalier had her out of her gown. Lira was reminded of Renart's efficiency with the task as well, wondering at the growing trend of beautiful Hapans undressing her, and how it made her feel.

Pulling her hair free from the breastplate as it dropped around her shoulders, Lira nodded. "I have.. not exactly like this though. It was not plated. It was leather. Meant more to protect me from chapping and chafing than an attack."

Marine Lecavalier
May 9th, 2019, 12:59:51 PM
“Leather?” Marine lifted her eyes to Lira’s for a moment, one eyebrow arched somewhat skeptically.

“Arms up.” When Lira complied, Marine worked with deft fingers to fasten the breastplate into place. It was the final piece of the training armour.

“Bon,” the Major said, placing her hands on Lira’s shoulders for a moment before stepping back to take a look at her from head to toe. Her lips twitched at the edges with a smile; Ta’din Terranova actually looked like a rather convincing member of the Chume’doro.

“It is not too loose, too tight?” she asked, stepping closer again, inspecting of the clasps on the vambrace covering Lira’s left arm.

Lira Terranova
May 10th, 2019, 10:33:53 PM
Lira's lips pursed. "Yes, leather." For what she had been doing at the time, her armor had been appropriate.

Another time, maybe, she might tell the major more, she felt strangely compelled to. It was not a good sign really. Lira loved indulging her curiosity about others, but preferred to remain reserved herself, for her own peace of mind, and for the secrets she kept, some of which she no longer had to.

Marine had her all fastened up, and Lira managed to only squirm a little. She gave her arms a little movement, and her torso a little twist.

"It seems to be just right.", she surrendered her arm to the major. "It is lighter than I thought it would be. "

Marine Lecavalier
May 11th, 2019, 06:18:18 AM
“It must be light. You should be able to fight and move easily.”

Back out in the training yard, where Lira could pass for any one of the handful of other women practising close-quarters combat or drilling martial katas, Marine lifted her chin towards the far corner of the yard. There was a rack of weapons, with everything from daggers to the long polearms that the Chume’doro carried when stationed, statuesque, beside the Queen.

“Run. Get something that appeals to you, and one for me also, cadet,” Marine added, maintaining a suprisingly neutral expression.

Lira Terranova
May 12th, 2019, 11:06:56 AM
Lira's normally 'restricted' policy about smiling seemed to have been momentarily forgotten. She no longer looked or felt like, the mostly fictitious, Ta'din Terranova. With surprising eagerness, she did as the major told her, dashing off to peruse the racks of weapons kept for training in the yard.

Most of them she could not identify, let alone picked one up before. Certainly she had no training with them, but..there were simple things that she did know the basics of. Her fingers skimmed over the hilts of a few different daggers before she found one of a similar size and weight to what she had once been proficient with, on Onderon in the service of Queen Adraudia and her personal safety. She took it, and one that matched for Marine before returning to the major's side.

"Will these be alright?"

Marine Lecavalier
May 12th, 2019, 11:30:22 AM
“Will these be alright, commander,” Marine countered, as she took one of the short blades by the hilt. A few of other women around the training yard were stealing glances in their direction. It wasn’t often that Major Lecavalier spent time one-on-one with a recruit, not unless they were particularly problematic.

“While you wear that uniform, you address me as your superior,” she said, the hint of a smile in her eyes. Without looking away, she tested the weight of the dagger in her hand.

Lira Terranova
May 12th, 2019, 12:22:28 PM
"Right.. Of course."

Lira was not put off by being corrected. It had been a while since she had been in the position of being subordinate to anyone, apart from Beatrix and Razielle, but it was a position she had spent the majority of her life in. Being in the service of strong women that she respected. Marine was no different really. She was as awestruck by her as the other fresh recruits. She was just very good at being composed.

"Will these be alright, commander?"

Marine Lecavalier
May 17th, 2019, 03:58:29 AM
“I believe so, cadet.”

It was not typical for the Chume’doro to be seen carrying anything other than a polearm, but that did not mean they knew nothing of other weapons. The training yard was a testament to that. Marine, like all of her guards, liked to maintain a confident proficiency with just about anything that she could use to protect the Chume.

“Why did you choose this? Can you fight with it already?”

Lira Terranova
Jun 2nd, 2019, 12:32:54 PM
"I can, commander.", Lira confirmed, with a touch of pride.

"All of the queen's ladies were taught basic self defense. Onderon can be a dangerous world. I was better than some of my peers and proceeded to learn other skills. I can fight with a knife in close combat, and I have some skill with a crossbow at distance, and while mounted, of course."

To Lira, there was no question of what mount she refereed to. The only kind the daughter of a famed Beast Rider would ride. She clarified it all the same. "Atop a drexl.."

Marine Lecavalier
Jun 2nd, 2019, 02:25:26 PM
Marine's head tipped back a fraction as she considered the newly armed ta’din and the prospect of her brandishing a bow atop a warbeast.

“Someday you must provide me with a… demonstration of that, cadet,” she said, almost certain that she had heard of Onderonian drexl being imported - along with many other exotic and potentially deadly creatures - into the Consortium. In the Cluster, there were relatively few game beasts that had not been hunted to extinction, so it had been considered rather fortunate that Onderon was home to so many fascinating animals.

The Major took a step backwards, twisting the dagger into a reverse grip, the hilt held lightly in her fist.

“Show me.”

Lira Terranova
Jun 16th, 2019, 08:16:26 PM
Lira gave a nod. To begin with she had learned only defensive tactics, during her combat training on Onderon. How to take a strike aimed for her, or her royal charge, and quickly turn it against the attacker. She was good at it. Knocking strikes, away. Grabbing the forearm, or wrist of her opposition and turning the blow. Before the next attack could fall, she would have already made one potentially deadly slice across a throat. Or, stick a body full of holes if it came to it. She had been determined to protect Queen Adraudia. She had been devoted to Princess Razielle, but Beatrix she was simply bound to with love. She would give her life for the girl without hesitation.

The grip the Chume'doro commander had chosen was telling. She was very strong, and could use that strength to send that blade through flesh with the force of a hammer hitting an anvil, Lira had no doubt. To compensate, she would have to be fast. Very fast..

Knowing her skills worked best on the defensive, she tried to draw the Major into an attack, leaving herself open seemingly naively as she took a loose stance, and made a show of a slice through the air..

Marine Lecavalier
Oct 14th, 2019, 01:53:26 PM
If the swipe had been meant as bait, Marine didn’t take it.

“A little closer, cadet,” she said, as she took another two steps backwards, all the while keeping her eyes locked with Lira's. “You won’t cut me from over there.”