PDA

View Full Version : Rolling in the Deep

Alienor Vankar
Mar 10th, 2019, 05:44:46 PM
Alienor didn't want to do this. She really didn't want to. Yet here she was, in a private booth at one of the upscale hotels on Cloud City, waiting to see a ghost who had passed in her life years ago. The galaxy was vast enough, with enough people who could invest in Molly's business, but it had to be Tonyh Vankar, with his good manners, his business skills, his deadly charm, and maybe pieces of her bloody heart. The irony was that she mostly trusted Tonyh not to fuck Molly over with her new venture. She mostly wasn't angry anymore at him. In a weird and petty way, she was still vexed he had seen through the moron she was pining over back then. That was what irritated her still; even though she hated to admit it.

She hadn't wanted to worry Molly, and she did trust her friend. Hell she trusted Molly with her life if need be. She just wanted to see Tonyh and make sure he would honor his word. Or maybe it was an excuse to clear the air once and for all. She didn't know whether he would be at the bloody grand opening, but as professional as she could be, she needed to have this heart to heart with Vankar before all hell might break loose. She didn't want to risk messing up with Molly's grand opening, regardless of the exact date it would happen.

She was on her second cocktail, but it was helping her nerves set. At least she knew she looked impeccable. And if there was the smallest hint he might not be fully in the business venture, she was also ready to rip him a new one.

Tonyh Vankar
Mar 10th, 2019, 05:51:48 PM
Hearing from Alienor had been the last thing Tonyh had expected. Heavens knew he had followed her career since their paths had last crossed. She was quite the unforgettable woman. She might be one of the few regrets he had in his personal life, although he knew they were likely much better off apart. At least, he had been relieved when she had broken up with that asshole shortly after their last fated meeting. He hadn't realized she was on Cloud City at the same time as he was, although a quick search showed that she must have relocated based on some holonet articles and recent performances. Had he known that, he would have booked a ticket for one.

He didn't know what to expect from this meeting, nor what had prompted her to contact him after what.... Five years? Hell, he wasn't even a father back then. So much had changed, and yet when he saw her, he was brought back to that day in the Outer Rim. She was even more stunning than he remembered, although there was still a sadness about her when she didn't know anyone else was looking. She had hated when he had told her that back then, but it was still true. People thought that money would buy you everything, that fame would sugar coat whatever was your drug of choice. People thinking that were idiots.

Approaching her booth, he met her gaze the moment she saw him. He could smooth talk about anyone but Alienor Tankreyd's gaze still cut right through any bullshit, including his own.

"Hello, Miss Tankreyd." Speaking of bullshit, he just spewed some from the get go. "Your message was a surprise... Alienor."

Alienor Vankar
Mar 10th, 2019, 05:56:17 PM
Fuck you, Tonyh.

That was the first thing that crossed her mind as he used her last name, and maybe even more as he called her Alienor. She briefly debated whether to stand up. Composing herself, she refused to give him any edge. She smiled as warmly as she could to him, and gestured towards the seat opposite hers. "Please, have a seat. I don't think they have third-grade Theranian ale here though," she quipped without thinking. Smooth, Ali, smooth, she chastised herself.

"I heard about your new business investment. That's why I called you."

She could have been civilized, but she hated unneeded preliminaries.

"That was unexpected."

Tonyh Vankar
Mar 10th, 2019, 06:01:12 PM
Tonyh couldn't help laughing at her quip about the hell hole business had brought them to. While they had met under legal auspices, they had gone on a business venture in the underworld. It had gone badly, and had turned into a deadly heist, although neither of their reputations had suffered from it. On the contrary, they both had made even better money in their illegal side of affairs since then, at least for the little he had been able to hear about her. He knew her alias after all, and she knew his. It almost sounded like some bad romantic spy novel his daughter's nanny and former comrade, read. And it wasn't the cheesiest part of it all.

"I'm sure a brandy will do."

What she said next caught him by surprise, even more than the fact she had messaged him in the first place. "How do you know? It was only a couple of days ago." Hell, he was leaving to go back to Centares in only a few hours. That was fast. She was still damn good, but what interest did she have in it?

Alienor Vankar
Mar 10th, 2019, 06:05:04 PM
He had only got hotter if possible. And she found utmost pleasure in shocking him.

Oh boy, you're good, and with a few years of experience on me, but I'm a damn Tankreyd, darling. Darling? What the hell, Alienor? You're here on business, not to rekindle some old flame, if one could even call what you two barely had such a thing.

"I hope for your sake that you're truthful about this investment. I won't let you hurt her. You screw up, and I'm going to end you. Do you understand?"

Tonyh Vankar
Mar 10th, 2019, 06:15:26 PM
She was serious. That had been something that had caught his interest from the very beginning. "How I handle my business is none of yours. And I don't think you're the kind to want to orphan a child."

She was making him angry even though his tone remained even, erring on the cold side. What was up with her? It was as if he was personally interfering in her private life, even though he had never got in it in the first place.

Alienor Vankar
Mar 10th, 2019, 06:19:09 PM
Alienor knew he had a daughter now. She had heard it through the grapevine. Some result of whatever liaison. It had been so bloody noble of him to take the child and raise her. It had almost made her fall for him again when she had heard that. Of course, she had been relieved that she wasn't in a situation where she would have to be any sort of step mom. She couldn't picture herself like that.

"Using your daughter as an excuse? Come on, you're better than that. At least, I thought you were, Tonyh." She was angry too now. She still thought well of him, but maybe she was just plain stupid. In which case, she was going to keep true to her word and make him pay if he messed up with Molly.

Tonyh Vankar
Mar 10th, 2019, 06:21:58 PM
Tonyh could have a lot of patience, and he might still have more interest in Alienor that he wanted to think about, but messing with his daughter was a major breach of any sort of trust.

"You leave my daughter alone. Last time I checked, the only baby you've handled is your career."

That was a low blow, and he knew it. They hadn't really ever fought fair with each other, and today was another testimony to it. He thought they had always wanted to do better though.

Alienor Vankar
Mar 10th, 2019, 06:25:31 PM
He had a point. And she hated that. She had started this. Or rather she had chosen to reopen the wound, even though it was tempting to say he had because of his choice to invest in Molly's dream. Maybe part of her felt like she was a horrible friend because she hadn't offered to fund Cloud 9. In a way she knew that Molly wouldn't have wanted her to, and balancing their friendship, nurturing it exactly as that, a personal instead of professional matter, had always been crucial for them two.

She downed the rest of her drink and asked for another one. She didn't say anything for a moment.

"You're right. I didn't want to threaten your family. I'm sorry for being an ass."

She paused before looking at him again. "I don't want you to hurt mine. She's like a sister to me."

Tonyh Vankar
Mar 10th, 2019, 06:29:06 PM
"It's okay. I'm sorry. I didn't know." Tonyh kind of knew he didn't have to apologize, at least for the current situation, but he felt compelled to do that anyway. Alienor deserved better than his rudeness.

"I promise you that I will not mess things up regarding this investment. I'm impressed with how business-savvy she is, and I can see why you two are close. You have my word."

It spoke volumes of how reliable and loyal Alienor was that she contacted him under such circumstances. History could have been so much different if they had been able to be more than ships passing in the stupid night.

Alienor Vankar
Mar 10th, 2019, 06:31:38 PM
"Thank you," Alienor said, letting out a sigh. She reached out for his hand across the table, giving it a squeeze.

"You know. I was so proud of you when I heard you took your baby in. Not all guys would do that. Sonya... It's her name, right? She's lucky to have you."

She meant it, as weird as the words tasted in her mouth. He was a good man, who seemed to have worked out some of his issues. Maybe he had done more progress than she had. She guessed kids did that to you.

Tonyh Vankar
Mar 10th, 2019, 06:36:03 PM
He turned his palm up and kept Alienor's hand in his own, relieved that they could come to an agreement without wanting to kill each other again.

For some reasons, he felt a mixture of gratitude and sadness at her praise, regarding his fatherhood. "Thanks. Yes, it's Sonya. There was a brief health scare a couple of days ago, so I guess I'm even more protective than usual. I can still be that with her."

He knew he might have overstepped his prerogatives when telling her to get away from that asshole all those years ago. He didn't regret it though.

"Your friend is lucky to have you. You've always had a good heart."

Alienor Vankar
Mar 10th, 2019, 06:39:51 PM
"Is she okay? I'm sorry to hear that."

When Tonyh nodded, she smiled encouragingly. She might be a hard ass, but she didn't wish ill on children.

Them holding hands brought back a flood of memories she didn't want to deal with, especially since she didn't really know what to make of them.

"Oh shush now. We just do what we gotta do, right?"

Tonyh Vankar
Mar 10th, 2019, 06:42:10 PM
"That, we do. Neither of us would be where we are now if it wasn't the case."

He reluctantly let go of her hand, watching her wrap her fingers around her glass right away, clenching on it almost imperceptibly.

"I hate to cut it short, but I need to go. Are we good?" In a way they would never be, but he hoped they had reached the best compromise, basically thanks to his investment in Molly's business.

Alienor Vankar
Mar 10th, 2019, 06:44:54 PM
"We're good," Alienor said with an honest smile. Ships passing in the night, each on their way to glorious success.

She got to her feet to bid him goodbye, and when he offered a handshake, she just drew him into a hug.

She whispered into his ear to leave before a paparazzi caught them. There was little risk, but it was the best self-preservation move she had right at this moment.

Tonyh Vankar
Mar 10th, 2019, 06:48:56 PM
Tonyh was relieved. There was part of him that yearned for things to pick up again, where they had left sealed with a last angry kiss before they walked away from each other. Yet he respected that they both had separated lives now. He didn't know whether Alienor could picture herself in his life, and he wasn't certain he could picture himself in hers. He had a hard time imagining being a celebrity's partner to be honest. He guessed it was as good that they were able to make peace, and both be supportive of their mutual friend. Maybe through that, their past would just vanish into old memories.

He nevertheless found himself holding Alienor into a tight embrace. He left a tender kiss on her cheek when she told him to go.

"You take care of yourself, Alienor."

He didn't look back, even though part of him still wanted to.

Alienor Vankar
Mar 10th, 2019, 06:52:12 PM
Alienor felt like she trembled in Tonyh's embrace, and she damned prayed to whatever was out there that she didn't. She didn't need to embarrass herself over a memory.

She mustered enough courage to hold his gaze as he wished her well. "You too, Tonyh."

She watched him leave, grateful he didn't look back. She sat back, happy that Molly's business was safe, relieved that the Tonyh ship had sailed for good as well.

She busied herself with her drink, looking as a paragon of self-composure to anyone who would stare at her.

See you in another life, scoundrel.