PDA

View Full Version : In Safe Hands

Salem Ave
Feb 9th, 2019, 12:33:42 PM
Senate Complex - Drev'starn, Bothawui

The ornamentation in the office of Senator Salem Ave was minimal, save for a display that hung on the wall behind the senator’s desk. It was comprised of a shield bearing an insignia comprised of four moons encircling a crown, with two glaives - the weapons of the Beast Riders of Onderon - crossed in an ‘X’ over the shield. It was important to the people of Onderon, he had been told, that the richness of their culture be adequately represented in the crucible of progress that was the Alliance Senate. He wore a grey and grey half-cloak over one shoulder, clasped at the throat with the emblem of the Alliance starbird, for exactly the same reason. It was a reminder, both to himself and to everyone he met, who he was and what he stood for.

Salem stood in front of the crossed blades and noticed for the first time that one of the glaives appeared to have a tiny, rust-coloured stain on it’s leather-bound grip. As he considered how that stain might have occured, the door hissed open behind him and he turned to face his visitor.

Ashar Nerofi
Feb 10th, 2019, 12:16:51 AM
A couple of months had passed since the last time Ashar had visited Bothawui. Onderonian duties had called her back to her home world, as well as private matters. Her daughter had required further surgery for her continuous health issues. Thankfully, the seven year old was as vivacious as ever and the recovery was going well so far. Ashar had thus felt little guilt to leave her in the care of Lady Adhaira, who had been her lady in waiting for many years. She knew that security was tight and that her daughter Alrya would be kept busy between physiotherapy and private lessons.

The Marquess found her way to Ave's office with ease, having learned the way by heart several years ago. Although she had hoped to further her political knowledge and involvement, she hadn't expected when younger that she would get to work with Ave on several files, and be some part-time aide to him. It had required a lot of traveling, but she also believed that she helped both Onderon on a planetary basis, and on a larger scale too. Salem Ave had become one of the two greatest mentors she had worked with since her childhood and she valued his input tremendously, as well as how challenging he could be at times. There was no growth without challenges. Their collaboration had often reminded her of House Nerofi's motto: "Simplicity Requires Courage." While it sometimes puzzled strangers, she valued how her lineage knew that doing the actual task at hand was rarely easy, but excuses were the worst.

Dressed in her classic attire (https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0681/8003/products/Giovanna_Suit_G1072-Purple_2048x2048.jpg?v=1541953113) for visits to the Senate, including the brooch featuring the centerpiece of her family's crest, Ashar was let in by Ave's assistant. She wondered what was up as she hadn't expected such a summon, for it was how she had understood it.

"Greetings, Senator Ave."

Salem Ave
Feb 10th, 2019, 02:07:46 PM
The Senator smiled an easy smile.

“Hello, Ashar,” he said, stepping out from behind his desk to greet the woman with a forearm handshake, a gesture common among the people of Iziz.

“Thank you for coming so soon. Are you well?”

Ashar Nerofi
Feb 10th, 2019, 02:24:02 PM
Returning the greeting, Ashar's smile widened a bit. It was good to see Ave, although she had to admit she was still very curious about the reason behind this unexpected meeting. He was the kind of person to take action when required, which made him a superb politicians, whether behind the scenes or in front of the whole senate.

"You are welcome. Alrya came home two days before I received your message, so I could travel at once."

She gave him a quizzical look. "How are you?"

Salem Ave
Feb 16th, 2019, 12:42:23 PM
“I’m.. good.” There was a pause when Salem answered, just a few seconds long but long enough to hint at words unspoken. The Arkanian was making no attempt to conceal that there was something on his mind.

“I wanted to talk to you about some.. Fairly substantial senatorial matters, but I wonder if you might like to take a walk while we discuss them.”

Ashar Nerofi
Feb 16th, 2019, 01:06:14 PM
Ave's reactions and words hinted at more than was unveiled. Maybe it would have concerned other people, but Ashar was only curious, and quite eager to hear more. She was not a worrier at heart, her cunning side always willing to address issues at hands rather than fear the unknown.

She nodded with a polite smile, though her bright eyes remained serious and fixated upon the Arkanian. "This sounds like a plan."

She let him lead the way to wherever he saw fit, and waited for him to speak his mind.

Salem Ave
Feb 20th, 2019, 02:01:57 PM
The interior of the Senate complex was always a busy place. As Ashar followed Salem out of his office, they entered a corridor that was receiving plenty of foot traffic. Even when the Senate was not due to sit for some time, representatives of each of the Alliance worlds spent time on Bothawui, working towards common goals. When they were not sequestered away in their offices, they came together in informal meeting rooms, or even in open spaces like the garden at the centre of the complex, where four broad archways opened onto a large, colourful expanse of nature.

As the Onderonian politicians walked beneath one of the archways and took their first steps out into the garden, Salem spoke casually.

“I wanted you to be the first to know that I am going to hand in my resignation to the Senate and to Mon Razien (https://theholo.net/wiki/index.php/Mon_Razien).”

Ashar Nerofi
Feb 24th, 2019, 06:24:16 PM
Ave's tone may be casual, but the news nevertheless caught Ashar by utmost surprise. While her expression wasn't as shocked as some less seasoned politicians' might have been, the look in her eyes and the mere halt in her steps, betrayed how unexpected this revelation was. She didn't say a word right away, as she was making sense of it. Something surprised her doubly in what he had just shared with her.

"Do you wish me to help your replacement?" Her fierce attachment to Onderon might be of assistance to whoever would take after her longtime collaborator and mentor.

She didn't ask what motivated him to resign. It was a surprise, but unless he chose to let her know about his personal reasons, she had no intent to be nosy.

Salem Ave
Mar 1st, 2019, 12:29:21 PM
“I want you to be my replacement.”

Salem took a step out of the shadow of the archway, so that he was no longer directly in the path of any comings and goings from the garden.

“The Senate will hold elections to determine a new Minister of State, and the people of Onderon may have their own opinions on my successor as Senator… but I can guarantee that you have the support of Queen Adraudia.”

Ashar Nerofi
Mar 2nd, 2019, 07:34:16 AM
Ashar was conscious of her capacities and of her value. Yet she was also very aware that she had only been working part-time with the retiring Senator over the years. She hadn't expected he would want her as his replacement.

Maybe some would have expressed outright surprise or sheer joy at such news. Instead, the Onderonian noble's expression remained serious, as her mind went into multiple directions about how to make the best of such a lifetime opportunity. She felt proud and she also couldn't help thinking about all the challenges, something she always appreciated. And her cunning side couldn't help but be willing to embrace this at once.

She bowed her head slightly to Ave, appreciating his high opinion of her. "This was not expected, but I am grateful for the opportunity."

The brunette was also experiencing one of those weird intuitive moments she couldn't always explain, but she knew that she would do well, regardless of the upcoming hurdles. It felt as if she was ready to spread her wings more significantly, and do better for her people.

"I appreciate the Queen's support. I am willing to step up and do what needs to be done." While vying for a position of Minister of State was something she was interested in, she also recognized that occupying the post of planetary senator was already a huge step. She would give her best to everything, but she was already thinking about how carving her position in two steps wouldn't be a tragedy either.

"Is there anything specifically requested of me, besides winning the upcoming election, as well as the Alliance's leadership support?" It might sound like small talk, but Ashar knew Ave well enough to wonder whether there was more behind-the-scenes matters that needed to be addressed in these times of transition.

Salem Ave
Mar 26th, 2019, 02:53:39 PM
With a nod, Salem indicated that they should continue on further into the garden. The soon-to-be-former senator waited for Ashar to fall into step with him, along a well-manicured path.

“Your primary concern should be advancing the best interests of Onderon.”

Ashar Nerofi
Mar 26th, 2019, 05:13:00 PM
Ashar fell into step with Ave right on cue, and his response was simple in nature, but encompassed everything. It was the one direction she considered critical to his position, now to be hers. Confirmation didn't hurt though.

"I see no other primary concern to have as Senator of Onderon," she said before pausing for a moment.

"I always knew you were full of surprises; but it might have to be one of two greatest you sprang on me since we began working together."

Salem Ave
Apr 2nd, 2019, 10:13:27 AM
“The presence of the third fleet (https://theholo.net/wiki/index.php/Alliance_of_Free_Planets#Alliance_Military) around Onderon presents… opportunities I have been regrettably lax in exploring.”

As they walked, the pair passed a group of senatorial aides, engaged in a lively debate about planetary security. Salem gestured toward a quieter, shaded area of the garden, where they could sit beside a small rock pond.

“This.. decision has been some time in the making. I will always be proud of my time serving Queen Adraudia… but Hapes is where I belong.”

Ashar Nerofi
Apr 3rd, 2019, 07:56:49 PM
Ashar had made herself familiar with the third fleet when becoming more involved in Onderon politics, as well as collaborating with Ave. "We have opportunities there for certain, as much about our relationships with the Consortium as with the Alliance," she observed, the gears in her mind already plotting out of habit.

She followed Ave near the pond, and listened to what he said about his decision. "I was surprised more by you choosing me as your successor, than by your actual decision in a way. It clicked when you said it... One of these intuitive moments of mine, I guess," she ventured as she sat by his side.