PDA

View Full Version : Headstrong

Anjali Raskor
Jun 8th, 2018, 06:24:20 PM
The everyday aspect of rebuilding the new clan's settlement was something that Anjali found solace in, after the devastation. Part of her still wished she could lead some of the missions investigating possible more survivors - with more or less success. Yet she understood that as new Clan Mother, her duties kept her at their new home. She was still learning how to lead as she was required to. She appreciated the challenge, but still wanted to grow quicker and be better and stronger in many ways. Patience was a crucial trait as a Beast Warden, what she had trained to be since a child, and it was proving particularly useful these days.

She hoped that the new clan would flourish from the ashes. She actually knew it was going to happen. It was only a matter of time and the gathered survivors had already braved the odds in many ways. She wished her younger sisters were there to see it, but alas, the lava had claimed their lives. She would honor them though, as she would continue to honor her lineage and her former clan. Her pride and honor would see her continue to care for her people.

She had tended to the young rancors they had found during the escape. Doing Beast Warden work helped her root herself and focus on everything else after she was done. The rancors were in need of stronger taming these days and some of the night brothers had showed skills to help with that. Those who weren't ended being meals for the large beasts.

After she was done, she felt spiritually refreshed, even as she was covered in dirt and had got some scratches. She looked more disheveled than usual, and she needed to clean up, but she felt good. Her Voritor lizard, Iss-Ka, even wrinkled her nose at the Witch, which made the tall brunette smirk.

"We met in hell, Iss-Ka, don't look so precious."

Readjusting her weapon to her belt, the large blade that had been with her for a long time, she stomped towards the nearby river. As always, Iss-Ka followed her like a shadow. In a way she felt that her maternal lineage was watching over her, as not only her mother but many other ancestors, had been Sisters of the Voritor.

The sounds of the river was soothing as the chatter from the settlement faded away. Anjali felt more life around her again these days, which was good after the destructive eruptions. As a Beast Warden, the new Clan Mother was particularly sensitive to living creatures, from small to large.

Iss-Ka suddenly stopped on her tracks, ears perking towards the river. Anjali didn't sense any danger, but was curious as which clan member may be coming to the river as well. She still had to get to know everyone, but she hoped to be able to do that when time permitted.

Cearia Tserta
Jun 8th, 2018, 09:46:43 PM
The transition to being the last survivor of the Red Hills Clan, to her knowledge, and joining with the new settlement as a Nightsister was a confusing, but necessary, period for Cearia. The survival of their people demanded that they congregate for protection as the planet healed from the cataclysmic events that had kill so many and scorched the land into inhabitable areas, but here at the flourishing settlement, life was teaming again. Here they all had a chance to continue to lineage of the Dathomir Witches.

Clans that feuded were forced to work together. Not everyone could put aside old rivalries but the new Clan Mother offered wisdom, counsel and a painful reminder of the stakes if needed to keep the group in line. Not that Cearia had any encounters of that sort with Anjali. They briefly met once when she arrived with a few other witches that Cearia had come across in her travels. She had been wandering for days, hungry and exhausted and on high alert as many survivors were willing to kill others for supplies, suspicious of intent or selfish to quell immediate needs.

All of that had to end once accepted into the Clan that Anjali ruled over. The bloodline that you brought to the settlement was to be respect and remembered, but an oath was taken to uphold this new home and clan. Cearia took that seriously. Her role was the same as it was before with the Red Hills, a hunter. There were few of them at present. The older and more experienced hunters were training others that showed potential, as the rest focused on bringing back game each day to feed the clan. This was an important role that Cearia had to fulfill. A bad day's haul could cause clan members to go to sleep with an empty belly and leave Cearia with a heavy heart filled with failure.

Today was not one of those days. A net full of burra fish was lugged through over her back as she walked along the river. There was still a faint ring around her leather pants from above her boots to her knees where Cearia had waded deep into the water to fish. At least her leather and furs were no longer ragged and torn. She had sewn new clothing from her kills and helped to distribute skins to others that badly needed clothing as much as food. So to be wet from a good day of fishing in comfortable clothing was a great day!

She slowed her steps, sensing she was no longer alone and reached for the hunting knife at her belt as she cleared a large outcropping of stone by the waterbed. Her eyes widen at seeing a voritor tail and was ready to defend herself from the poisonous carnivore, but as more of its form came into view, Cearia recognized the markings as the reptile companion of the ...

"Clan Mother!" Cearia immediately lowered her head, shifting the net behind her so it wouldn't weigh her neck down or dislodge the bow and quiver at her back. "I'm sorry to disturb you."

Anjali Raskor
Jun 9th, 2018, 07:26:28 AM
Iss-Ka was now over a meter long and still had more to grow, but she had become Anjali's shadow since they had met during the cataclysm. The Voritor was very protective of the Clan Mother, which sometimes amused her, though she was very grateful to it. It was uncanny for a Nightsister who was not an actual Voritor Sister to have such a loyal familiar, but Anjali explained it due to the particular circumstances that had brought them together, as well as her extensive experience as Beast Warden.

Even before Anjali could recognize her clan member, Iss-Ka had stopped a few meters away from the other woman, at peace though the extensive game the hunter brought was of great interest to the lizard.

Anjali smiled to the other Night Sister. "Good day, Sister Cearia. I see your hunt was successful!" She wasn'ta always comfortable with people bowing to her, but she had accepted that marks of respect were to be accepted due to her new position and that relying on common codes across clans also helped cement the reformed one.

"Iss-Ka, it's not meal time. Behave." She gave a look as she saw the hint of a butt wiggle in her lizard. Iss-Ka sat down and glared at her, before returning her attention to Cearia.

"You are not disturbing me. I was simply coming to clean up a bit after spending time on the clan's young rancors."

She was good at memorizing faces and names, and she was actually glad when getting to cross paths with clan members she was not very familiar with yet.

Cearia Tserta
Jun 9th, 2018, 02:13:49 PM
The voritor still hadn't reach it's full size but it was no less an impressive beast! Out of respect Cearia sheathed her knife and eyed Iss-Ka with a stern look. The fish she had brought back couldn't feed its voracious appetite. It would barely be an appetizer compared to several meals for the settlement.

"Yes, Clan Mother. I was very lucky today," she said as she straightened her back, surprised that her name was remembered.

She was also relieved that Anjali settled her familiar about what was not to be eaten at this time and loosened the grip on the net. "Ah."

Anjali was very hands on for a Clan Mother. Cearia highly respected that.

"You walked away with few injuries. The training goes well, then?"

Anjali Raskor
Jun 9th, 2018, 02:24:36 PM
Iss-Ka was not the happiest Voritor, but life was not about getting what you wanted all the time, including eating what was not your share. Anjali reached out through the Force to the large lizard to soothe her a little. Iss-Ka was highly responsive and her stance subtly softened, though her eyes remained on the net, but she didn't even move an inch towards Cearia's catching.

"I don't mean to get in your way either, as you'll likely want to get the fish ready. I take it some of the rivers that we cleaned up allow for more fish again?"

She smiled to the question about the training and her minor injuries. "I have a gift with Rancors. Some smaller animals have left me with more cuts and bites. Many believe that the Rancors are more difficult to tame because of their size. Their mindset is not as complicated, especially when you can have them young."

Her voice was a little sad, because she remembered when they found the - huge - Rancor young by their dead mother during the cataclysm.

"They've only killed a couple of night brothers so far. Pity we lose more, but lack of skills won't get us anywhere."

Cearia Tserta
Jun 10th, 2018, 01:51:39 PM
She kept a watchful eye on the lizard familiar out of habit and survival instincts, even if Cearia knew that her clan mother had complete control over Iss-Ka. At least the Voritor wasn't slowing inching forward to try and snag a sample of Ceara's catch of the day.

With a nod, she returned looked to her leader. "Yes. Fish aren't plentiful as they used to be, but they are returning. I made sure to leave enough to continuing spawning and hopefully we'll having a proper fishing area soon."

The discussion of the rancors was interesting as Cearia often wondered if she would develop a talent for training animals. It would be extremely helpful in her hunts and to have a companion - a second set of eyes, ears, and nose could catch things that her well trained senses missed. As promising and talented as Cearia was, she had yet to learn everything there was about her hidden potential.

"Agreed, Clan Mother. Numbers are important to continue our people, but we need survivors. People that can teach and bring us a future."

Cearia was practical. Times were difficult and the weak would die. That rule pertained to herself as well. If she did something foolish or was unable to fight off illness, then she deserved to pass and allow supplies to be given to one that was stronger so that the settlement would thrive - that their people would live on.

Anjali Raskor
Jun 10th, 2018, 02:09:20 PM
While discussing with Cearia, Anjali, practical as always, crouched by the river and splashed some water over the dirt on her face and arms, cleaning the superficial cuts while doing it. It was why she had come to the river in the first place, after all. She loosely braided her hair before tending to a slightly deeper cut to make sure it'd heal just fine.

"Good. I was glad when the clan found several skilled hunters, including yourself. We need all the talents we can gather."

She felt curiosity from the other Nightsister but she didn't pry. Her sensitivity to all breathing creatures extended to sentient.

"Were you solely trained as a hunter in your clan of origin?" Anjali remembered her name and her former clan, but she knew very little else about Cearia.

Getting back to her feet, she clicked her tongue, and Iss-Ka came back to her side right away.

"Since fish needs you attention, we may continue this conversation back at the settlement. I can help, if you'd like."

It wasn't uncommon for the newly appointed Clan Mother to offer practical assistance, in order to get to know her people better. Time was not always on her side, but she made use of every opportunity.

Cearia Tserta
Jun 10th, 2018, 07:57:56 PM
She lightly puffed out her chest in pride, though kept her face absolved of any indication of being complimented.

Her head lowered evenly as Anjali finished cleaning up in gratitude. "Thank you, Clan Mother."

Cearia watched as Iss-Ka immediately obeyed her mistress' call and was silently envious, and relieved that the Voritor was no longer eying her net full of fish but her attention turned solely onto Anjali and her surprise offer.

"I'd be honored for both," she said, offering a thin, but brief, smile. It was rude to deny her leader even if her help was not an order.

She approached Anjali but remained a safe distance from the lizard, keeping a watchful eye on Iss-Ka just in case its need to eat overrode its loyalty to the Clan Mother. Cearia appraised her leader and except for one gash, Anjali washed away any signs of rancor training.

"Soon as we're back, we should have the fish ready for supper tonight. I just hope this haul with the others is enough to feed everyone," she said worriedly.

There were times that despite everyone's best efforts, there were food shortages - especially with meat.

Anjali Raskor
Jun 11th, 2018, 05:39:01 AM
They all had their part to do, but showing appreciation to hard-working clan members was important. It was not about coddling any of them; after all failure was most often met with dire injury if not death. Anjali valued what efforts the reformed clan put in.

She was glad when Cearia accepted her help. Iss-Ka remained by the Clan Mother's side. Anjali could sense that the lizard was still yearning for some of the fish, but it was not going to happen. Instead, knowing they would be working with Cearia's game for the day, she decided to make things easier.

"Iss-Ka, go. Hunt time." She said, gesturing towards the thicker part of the forest. It was a far cry from some of the trees where she had grown up but it was something. The Voritor eyed the net one last time, then the Beast Warden. She made a slight hissing sound, before scampering off, soon blending within bushes.

"I hope it will be enough too, " she finally answered the other Nightsister. "The latest scouting mission has found a few more survivors. They should return tomorrow evening."

Cearia Tserta
Jun 11th, 2018, 08:50:59 PM
She watched the Voritor slink off and wished it luck in hunting. At least she could loosen her grip on the net Iss-Ka was coveting.

As they walked back, Cearia frowned in thought at new survivors arriving because that meant more mouths to feed. The hunters would have to expand their hunting grounds for more food or ...

"I think we'll have to try herding more than just the rancors. See if we can find verne to mate and keep close," she offered.

Verne were mammals that had leathery hides that were good for clothing and armor, horns that could be used for weapons and tools. The meat was very gamey but it would offer supplemental food source until the hunting grounds grew larger as the animals returned in greater numbers.

Anjali Raskor
Jun 12th, 2018, 04:35:31 AM
"I agree. I heard some clan members mention verne sighting a while ago, but nothing more came out of it. At least, there is hope we can find enough in the area to start herding."

The rancors hadn't been part of any plan. She had found them with their dead mother when running for a life during the cataclysm. She hadn't regretted taking them to the new settlement, but they required food for sure, which could be problematic.

"I hope that the rancors will find riders soon. So far, I picked one, and another sister did too. We still need three more riders." She sorely wished that more Beast Wardens had survived to join the clan, but so far only another one had showed potential and interest for it. Rancor riding didn't require a Beast Warden, but tending to the rancors would be easier with more like her. As much as she could accept that Night brothers could have great skills but she couldn't stand the idea of a nightbrother riding a rancor. She had her limits and it was one of them.

"As for herding vernes, we could arrange an area for them, south of the settlement, so they would be far away from the rancors, but still close enough that we can keep an eye on them."

Cearia Tserta
Jun 13th, 2018, 11:00:13 AM
"If I can have permission, I can take another hunter and scout out the area they were last seen. If they're not there, we can track them," she offered. "Depending on the size, we can bring them back ourselves or return to get a larger party."

Cearia went quiet when Anjali discussed the rancors. She agreed with her Clan Mother in spirit and knew the rancors were a vital part of their society, it was not Cearia's desire to have a large, loud, beast to claim as her own. She was more subtle in the ways of the hunt.

"We can hope that some of the new survivors can ride," she said. "If not, then maybe some have to be chosen and trained?"

Which, she prayed to the gods, that she wasn't.

"That could work," Cearia added, looking in that general direction to picture the land there. "After the fish are cleaned, I can take a look there. See if the nightbrothers can start building an enclosure so we don't have too many strays."

Anjali Raskor
Jun 13th, 2018, 02:32:25 PM
"Permission granted, Sister Cearia. I pray your scouting mission is successful." Anjali knew too well how gathering enough resources, and not having to rely only on wilderness hunts, was high on the priority list, besides building enough living accommodation for all. "I will let you arrange whatever party you need for this. Your judgement and skills have proved reliable so far," she added with a subtle bow of the head. People taking charge to improve the clan's situation without overstepping their roles was what was needed.

She let Cearia find a spot for them to begin working on the fish. It brought back some memories, as one of her younger sisters had always been on fish duty from a young age. The three Raskor girls had lost their mother several years ago, and Anjali being the older, had naturally raised her younger siblings, until they died in the cataclysm.

"There is still some more time to go before a rider must be chosen for the ones left, but after the new survivors and then the last scouting party returns from another region, I will see about finding riders among ourselves."

She nodded to Cearia's words about speaking to the nightbrothers. "Nightbrother Enjo has done significant woodwork so far for the settlement. He'd probably provide the best pointers and organization for the enclosure."

Cearia Tserta
Jun 14th, 2018, 11:49:28 AM
She nodded at Anjali's blessing and felt a sense of pride and purpose at the compliment. Cearia mentally promised to not let the Clan Mother down as she lead her to a chopping block near her own hut. Homes were not plentiful yet and she shared it with other hunters in the settlement. Since they were few, she had a little more room to herself, not feeling so cramped with bodies so close to her bedroll.

"That shouldn't be too long then," she said, dropping the fishing net. She reached in and firmly grabbed a burra fish to set atop the block, pulled her hunting knife free and chopped its head off. "They should be back in a fortnight, right?"

They had been gone longer than usual, but the territory they had to cover took the scouting parties further out each time.

Thunk

There went another head rolling off the block and onto the ground.

"I'll speak to Enjo tonight. Get plans started. Then I can focus on an early trip in the morning with my sister hunters."

Anjali Raskor
Jun 14th, 2018, 04:18:59 PM
"They should be. After this last mission, the clan will be fairly set in numbers, until some Sisters choose to have children." Anjali loved the idea of children, especially now that her young sisters were deceased. Yet she had many other things on her plate, and she had her priorities set correctly. If she reached a point in her life when an opportunity to have children, whether by blood or by adoption, occurred, she would appreciate it. For now, the clan was enough motherhood for her.

Helping the hunter take care of the fish, Anjali was doing mental calculations, hoping that it would feed everyone in need that evening. At some point, a loud bestial sound cut across the wind to the side of the settlement they were at.

"This is the smallest female Rancor. I was glad when she made it through. She needed to be watched over more than the others." Anjali grinned darkly. "She's one feisty and strong Rancor now. If I hadn't taken one of her sisters, I'd probably have chosen her as my mount."

Cearia Tserta
Jun 15th, 2018, 12:59:11 PM
With a settlement that had the proper resources and numbers, keeping the population going was something for the future. Nothing of that sort entered Cearia's mind as her focus was on training and hunting with her old clan. Even now there were plenty of sisters to continue the bloodlines on.

Cearia and Anjali fell into a comfortable silence, cutting and cleaning the fish as if it were something they have always done. It didn't feel as if it were Clan Mother and Hunter working together but two sisters finding a rhythm that had been there for years. It brought some normalcy to the situation. Cearia was also doing a count and frowned when she believed that they were short a few fish to feed everyone.

She looked up at hearing the roar and without missing a second, Anjali explained. "If you like her so, why didn't you take her as mount to begin with?"

It was asked with genuine respect and curiosity because she could hear the fondness from the Clan Mother.

Anjali Raskor
Jun 15th, 2018, 02:32:31 PM
Anjali had never been one to see her gift wander in the ethereal realm. She had always been firmly anchored to life, from nature to creatures, to fellow Dathomiri. The tangible was where she belonged. And cutting fish along with Cearia was welcomed. She appreciated such menial but needed tasks, regardless that she was Clan Mother now and in ways could likely have someone else do that. Even with many responsibilities, keeping her hands and her head at the same level as her clan members was important. It was how she had been raised, even with the former Clan Mother of her where she had grown up.

She caught the frown on her fellow Nightsister's face as they were getting closer to the end of the fish. "With all the members being on scouting mission, we should be fine until their return." In a couple of days, the day's capture wouldn't be enough but it should be for the time being.

She smiled at Cearia's question about the rancor, briefly looking in the direction of the settlement where the beasts were kept. "I have the motherly affection of a Beast Warden for her, but we were not meant to be mount and rider. I could feel she was destined to find someone else." The gods told her so, and she accepted it. "Her sister and I bonded from the beginning. It made sense."

Cearia Tserta
Jul 13th, 2018, 09:09:18 AM
Cearia nodded, glad for the reassurance and did a mental headcount on the scouting parties that were currently away. She came to the same conclusion as Anjali that there would be plenty of food for the settlement for now. She, and the other hunters present, would have to go out soon for more meat.

When the conversation shifted to the rancors, Cearia found the concept of being linked to a beast odd to her. While always believing that a hunter and an animal companion working together for the good of the hunt made sense, befriending majestic creatures like rancors to ride and command was awe inspiring as it was frightening. She couldn't place that much trust in the creature, which was why Cearia was no Beast Warden.

"That makes sense," she said with a small smile before chopping off the head of the last fish. "One should follow their instincts and not dismiss them."

She may not be able to communicate to animals like Anjali but Cearia understood what it meant to follow one's heart.

Anjali Raskor
Dec 30th, 2018, 05:29:02 PM
As she helped her fellow Night Sister chopping off the last of the fish, Anjali's mind briefly wandered to the matters of building up the clan's settlement. She knew the location they had chosen was a most appropriate one, and the shaman had confirmed it in one of their recent meetings. Yet, the new Clan Mother was still concerned. She was no shaman, and her affinity to the Force was very practical and deeply rooted within the earth and its beasts, but she still had some concerns. She was not fearful by nature, and was one hell of a survivor, like all who were now gathered in the newly reformed clan. It would nevertheless be unwise to dismiss inklings that could save them or protect them. For now, she kept them to herself though.

Since she had talked to Cearia about the upcoming scouting mission, relieved that the hunter had accepted to lead it, Anjali thought that it made sense to bring up her next point. "I doubt many ruby avian has made it through the cataclysm, but if you spot any, or are even able to coax a few, I need you to do as such. We will conduct a general mourning ritual at the next new moon."

Everybody had lost one to a dozen people in their lives; and no formal funerals had occurred. They had no body to burn, for the earth had already taken care of this, but she believed the higher powers needed them to put wandering spirits to rest. Red avian feathers and bones were common ceremonial tokens, and she trusted this hunter to find some if she came upon them.

Cearia Tserta
Apr 15th, 2019, 08:48:26 PM
She cleaned the knife off and nodded, quietly pleased at the request. "I will do as you ask, Clan Mother."

This gave her a timeline to work with and when to return to camp. The orders of her leader were lofty, but Cearia and the sisters accompany her will do all that they can to fulfill her wishes and return a day prior to the new moon.

"I should pass these out and find Enjo. We'll need all the time we have until the moon is high to plan the enclosure and pick my sisters to come on the hunt," she explained. "And we both know everyone is hungry for fresh meat."

Anjali Raskor
Apr 16th, 2019, 09:44:09 AM
Two Weeks Later.

The Undead Fires' new home was coming together well, including the nearby cave network the clan's shaman Megaera had found. The Clan would be safe and able to accommodate growth whether through a few more survivors or through new generations. Anjali had been busy as everybody else, for she didn't believe in not being involved as a leader. She had helped train promising sisters in Beast Mastery, as well as taking care of other tasks that required her direct attention. She was getting the hang on this whole leadership thing, and she felt it was her rightful place, between how fate had brought her to this place, and the hard work she was putting in. She wasn't the kind of woman to do half-ass anything. Either she did things the best she could, or she didn't bother. It may be a double-edged sword, but so be it.

Riding Raja, her female Rancor, she had been roaming the south borders of the clan lands. Not that there was really other clan to come in conflict with them, but they had loosely chosen natural landmarks to define the Undead Fires territory, in the case of the South border, a large crevasse that was a direct result of the cataclysm. Anjali often felt pulled towards this place and couldn't truly explain why. She trusted her intuition though, and patrolled there every once in a while.

For now, she felt a ripple at the edge of her perceptions, which brought a smile to her face. The hunting expedition led by Sister Cearia Tserta was returning to the settlement. She led Raja back home, curious to see how the hunting had gone, and eager to hear Cearia's report and findings.

Once she had returned Raja to the Rancor's enclosure, she took the proper time to take care of her before scampering off though. She respected her Rancor and she knew that skipping on such things would be a blasphemy to the majestic beast, and all Beast Wardens who had come before her.

After she was done, she turned to her feet and Iss-Ka who had been very quiet, was now hissing impatiently at her from the edge of the enclosure. Anjali chuckled at the sight of her Voritor lizard, who seemed quite impatient to get going, as if she knew what was on the Clan Mother's mind.

Cleaning her hands after dusting herself off, the brunette clicked her tongue to Iss-Ka, who fell in stride, as they made their way towards the hunting party's location across the settlement.

Cearia Tserta
Apr 16th, 2019, 07:40:21 PM
Cearia had chosen the two best trackers among the Nightsisters to accompany her on this two week hunting expedition. She also brought three Nightbrothers that Enjo thought could best herd any of the verne that they came across so that she and the trackers could focus on finding as many of the animals as possible. After speaking to members of the clan that had spot tracks, droppings and possible sightings, Cearia had plotted potential areas of focus. All of her planning had blessed the group with success, even if the first week was disastrous. They only found small mammals to supplement their supplies so they wouldn't go hungry as every lead began to dry up. They had avoided the larger predators by keeping to the trees and underbrush.

Until midway through the second week, their patience was rewarded. Clomping through the savanna were a group of five verne, which were successfully incapacitated with the use blow darts, the tip laced with a strong sedative. As the verne slept, she quickly returned to collect her brothers as the other hunters made haste to tie the down. Once the group was fully awake to travel, they immediately started back home. There wasn't enough time to look for another grouping of verne, but there were other opportunities to please the Clan Mother along the way that she had requested. And a little extra.

The Nightbrothers did their part well with keeping the herd contained. They did not lose any of the six captured. She just hoped that Enjo had an enclosure strong enough to keep these beasts contained and with luck, able to breed more as they had one male to five females.

She inhaled deeply, pleased as how they returned and unaware that the Clan Mother was on her way.

"Go ahead and make sure the clan prepares for our arrival. Enjo especially," she ordered one of her hunters, who quickly nodded and sprinted towards the camp.

She clicked her tongue, assisting in herding the verne towards their new home and had to nudge one of them away with a playful shove against it's wet nose. "I've told you many times, no. What's in the pack is not for you. It's for our leader."

It huffed and stomped off as Cearia adjusted the pack slung across her shoulder, hearing distant commotion that had to be related to their return.

Anjali Raskor
Apr 16th, 2019, 07:55:36 PM
When Anjali finally left the Rancor enclave, she heard commotion and people getting excited. She saw that as the confirmation of the ripple she had sensed, indicating Cearia's return with her group. Given the joy she could feel from the clan, she believed the hunt had been successful, which would be a blessing, especially if there were possibilities for breeding, as to have livestock on hand, besides continuing hunts. She was soon directly updated about the success and she was very proud and satisfied. It was great news, and the Clan could use such things. Surviving was one thing; but her goal was for the Undead Fires to thrive.

Iss-Ka tried to scamper off ahead of her; but the Clan Mother's sharp command kept the Voritor from misbehaving. Her reptilian companion would get her share; but not now. Moving through the gathered people close to the verne enclave, she took in the sight of the hunt's result. Her instinct had been correct about the Night sister she had appointed to lead this expedition.

Piercing eyes looked for said Night Sister, and it didn't take long to find her. Walking towards the other brunette, the Clan Mother, still quite dusty from her recent patrol, came to stand before the huntress. Iss-Ka was relentlessly sniffing at the vernes but dared not move from her mistress's side.

"Welcome back. I see you are successful, Sister Cearia," she said with a proud smile.

Cearia Tserta
Apr 16th, 2019, 08:45:24 PM
She smiled tightly and respectfully at any congratulations received. Cearia was relieved that the expedition was successful and no lives were lost. Both were crucial to the survival of this clan. And if not for the information gathered from its members, Cearia wouldn't have had any leads that brought this bounty back home.

The arrival of Iss-Ka quickly brought the hunter back to the present. She knew the Clan Mother would have complete control over the lizard, but the hunter couldn't help feel a rush of anxiety that made her heart race wondering if any of it would slip, allowing the voritor to consume all of their hard work.

She bowed, keeping those thoughts to herself. "We were. The gods were with us."

Carefully, she removed the strap up and over her head and loosened the pack. "They wanted the dead to be honored."

Cearia carefully pulled out a veeka by the legs in offering. The sacred bird was a smaller male, but its prized red feathers were bright and plentiful. "I found it yesterday. A fresh offering for our dead. I left it untouched so you may prepare it as is your right and duty."

Anjali Raskor
Apr 17th, 2019, 07:27:11 PM
Anjali caught a brief glance Cearia gave to Iss-Ka. She could understand that a hunter would be wary of the massive lizard; but Iss-Ka stayed put. Before becoming Clan Mother, the night sister had been a most promising and skilled beast warden, and it had definitely helped with both her Voritor hothead and the Rancors they had found right after the cataclysm.

The Clan Mother was very pleased with what the hunting party had brought back. It was definitely a good hunt. "I am glad to hear that. The Clan will make best use of your game. I am grateful the gods blessed your travels."

She watched with increased curiosity as Tserta opened the pack she had been carrying personally. She accepted it when the hunter handed the bird to her. Her smile widened and she bowed her head, seeing this as a good omen. Even a small male veeka remained a special and worthy tribute to the higher powers.

"Thank you very much, Sister Cearia. I will prepare the offering to the gods and offer it tonight."

She felt drawn to involved the hunter, due to the impressive work she had done leading the hunting party. "It would be appropriate for you to be present during the ceremony; before we all celebrate your return."

Cearia Tserta
Apr 17th, 2019, 08:39:57 PM
"I ..." the hunter began, but Cearia quickly quieted her concerns about the ceremony.

She knew her place and it was not with mysticism and ritual to the gods. Of course she honored the ceremonies that she was allowed to witness, but this was unexpected and felt odd to her. She internally waged a heated debate inside her soul of how she was raised to what her new life in the Undead Fires meant. It would also be highly insulting to her Clan Mother to refuse.

"Thank you for the invitation. I accept. But we don't have to celebrate my return. Seeing our people happy and have hope in their eyes is enough for me." Cearia felt it was a compromise for the turmoil she felt.

She reached into her belt pouch and held her fist out to Anjali. Slowly her fingers curled open to reveal a bright blue stone that was translucent with small streaks of white passing through it like mist. "I found this on the way home. Made from the cataclysm no doubt. Something beautiful to come from the destruction. Like our new home here. I wanted you to have it."

Anjali Raskor
Apr 17th, 2019, 10:14:49 PM
While Anjali was no shaman, she nevertheless practice regular offerings, and as Clan Mother was all the more inclined to do as such, besides her personal practice. Her growing friendship with Megaera had also anchored the night sister deeper into her beliefs, along with the loss of her younger sisters, more prone to mysticism that her own nature and tangible affinities. She waited for the huntress to offer her answer, hoping she would say yes. It seemed only appropriate that having providing this difficult to acquire offering in their times, she would be present.

"Meet me at sunset by the promontory west of the the settlement then. As for celebrating you all, I believe the clan at large sees differently than you."

Given the clamor and the great rejoicing that clan members had been experiencing since word of the hunting party's return had made it clear that they wished to celebrate. Given the dire situation they had all been through, Anjali saw no reason to deny them their want of celebration.

When the huntress held her fist out to her and revealed a beautiful stone, Anjali was taken by surprise. It was beautiful and Cearia's gesture was unexpected but more touching than the Clan Mother may be willing to admit publicly. She stared in awe at the cataclysm-polished stone and took it in her hand, looking at it in greater detail.

"Thank you, Sister Cearia. This is a beautiful. I will find a right use for this testimony for what came out of our ordeals."

She briefly wrapped her hand around the huntress's wrist, and gave it a squeeze, with a slight nod of her head, her smile warm and grateful.

Cearia Tserta
Apr 18th, 2019, 07:59:02 PM
Cearia scanned the crowd as the verne paraded through towards the enclosure was on the far side of the settlement. Eager hands tried to reach out to touch the animals with bright smiles and eyes wide with happiness. The hunter still felt that a celebration for what she wanted to do, which was to help aid her new clan, was unnecessary. Her brothers and sisters chanting and cheered praises for the group and to the gods. For now those hands remained away from Cearia, as she was in conversation with the Clan Mother and it would be rude to interrupt.

"I'll just make myself scarce until sunset," she said calmly. "They can enjoy the good fortune."

Anjali's reaction to her gift was exactly what she wanted and that elicited a smile. "I'm glad. It was one of those moments that felt ... important. And I had to bring that stone to you. I'm looking forward to how you present it."

She smiled wider, feeling honored that her leader shared this moment with her, delighted that the time away could bring joy.

Anjali Raskor
Apr 19th, 2019, 12:35:16 PM
The way the huntress seemed more inclined towards avoiding the festivities and being directly celebrated reminded Anjali of how she had felt when first negotiating her appointment as Clan Mother. She had been used to hold power but in a much lesser capacity. She had eventually embraced her position and knew that it was where she belonged, with the gods' blessings. She nodded to the huntress's comment, knowing they would meet at sunset.

She couldn't help smiling, her eyes joyful but slightly pensive, at Cearia's words about the stone. She would pray for what to do best about it, but already had a few ideas. Time would tell but she knew it deserved a special way to be used and exhibited on her own person. "Rest assured it will be worthy."

Letting go of the other Night Sister's hand, Anjali smiled one last time, giving the huntress a nod. She then turned on her heels and retreated to her living accomodations to prepare for the ceremony later that day.

Anjali had cleaned up (https://66.media.tumblr.com/72dee70bfe9ffe7bb96b234460251df3/tumblr_piqx1pzabH1ua45zn_400.gif) and prayed until the final hour before sunset. She then had made a short stop to meet with the clan's shaman, valuing Megaera's guidance in spiritual matters. When time drew near, the Clan Mother carried all she would need for the offering ceremony and headed to the location she had given to Cearia.

Once there, she placed the pouch containing the vekka, as well as ritual dried flowers that looked most like the ones near her original clan. In a large and public ceremony she would probably not have used them, but this one was to be private and she had felt called to include them.

Picking a handful of earth in her, she began tracing a circle around the flat stone upon which she would offer the vekka. She stood before closing it though, waiting for the huntress to show up and step in, so the ritual may begin.

Cearia Tserta
Apr 19th, 2019, 01:34:42 PM
Cearia waited until her Clan Mother was out of eyesight before trudging back to her hut that she shared with a couple of hunters. There were not enough dwellings to house all of their people. With gratitude towards the gods that the other hunters were not present, Cearia was able to enjoy solitude. She unpacked her belongings and took only her knife, bow and quiver with her as her mind wandered how Anjali would use the stone she found.

She allowed herself the private satisfaction of a smile at making the settlement so happy and hopeful, still hearing their shouts of glee even now. Seeing the look of pride in the Clan Mother's face was also reward but to be included in a private ceremony was a high honor. She hoped she didn't make a fool of herself since there wasn't an ounce of Shaman blood inside her body. Cearia would hate to inadvertently do, or say, something disrespectful without meaning to.

Why Cearia preferred sneaking out of her hut and off away from the commotion, just wanting to focus on honing her skills for the betterment of their people. She wouldn't be missed as the other night sisters and brothers in her company were just as important as her in finding the blessed verne.

Cearia returned just before sunset, pleasantly sore from the day's walk. She had stopped to wash her face at the closest stream and tied back her hair to be presentable for the Clan Mother. She slung her bow across her chest and kept out of eyesight of clan members, needing to go straight away to the agreed on area for tonight's ritual. Being late would be unacceptable.

Anjali was waiting for her at her arrival and Cearia bowed deeply. "Clan Mother. Thank you again for the honor in being here with you for these blessings to the gods."

Anjali Raskor
Apr 19th, 2019, 02:28:00 PM
Iss-Ka was keeping guard as always, albeit several meters away from the ritual space. The Voritor rarely wandered far away from the Clan Mother. The bond forged in natural catastrophe was strong, and the beast kept watch over the Clan Mother, as much as Anjali made sure that the Voritor showed restrained behavior when need be. For the moment, Iss-Ka slithered by bushes, before eventually climbing up large tree branches, falling in an asleep state.

The Night Sister felt Cearia approach, still surprised by the ease with which she recognized the huntress's presence among others. It brought a faint smile to her lips, and she noted how her fellow Night Sister carried herself, and how she had her bow and quiver with her. She found it fascinating how certain things were so embedded in one's identity that it would feel wrong to part with them.

"Huntress, thank you for joining me. Please step forward so I may close the circle," she instructed with a small bow of her head.

She was a far cry from a shaman; but she still recalled certain basic rituals the Clan Mother from her birth group had taught her when a child. It was how she kept her faith, anchored in nature and simple. She was happy to leave the more complex rituals and deeper understanding of the higher powers to those gifted in such matters.

With reverence, she then pulled the sacred bird out of the pouch, and spread its form atop the flat stone. She then retrieved the knife from her belt, and held it above the stone. She wasn't the most eloquent speaker; but there was nevertheless genuine reverence as she spoke.

"Gods and goddesses, we thank you for your blessings in the recent hunt. We are in your debt for providing for us as we rebuild our home and replenish our strength..."

As she spoke, she began carving into the bird, ensuring its vibrant red wings remained spread out, while blood spilled as Anjali carefully opened its inside, exposing them to the wind and skies.

Cearia Tserta
Apr 19th, 2019, 09:33:38 PM
Acknowledged, Cearia stood upright and used careful steps to walk through the opening of the unfinished circle. Immediately upon entry, Anjali closed the circle and began preparations. She watched with interest and curiosity, never seeing this ritual before, only heard of them through stories and offerings that the elders of the Red Hill Clan spoke of.

There was no way for her to know that Anjali had little practice. To her, the Clan Mother had a deft hand with the knife. Quite different than how she, a hunter, would handle it. Cearia grip would be firm, allowing her wrist to be loose for ease of motion. She wanted her options to be flexible depending on offensive or defensive needs during a hunt, or a fight.

Anjali was gentle, slow, and purposeful - completely opposite of their time together cutting and cleaning fish. As she watched further, Cearia noticed that her leader was being cautious, reverent with how she cut. Before with the burra, it was methodical and repetitive to be as swift and accurate as possible to feed their people. What she watched here was beautiful - the ritual dissection of the sacred offering, blood spreading across the stone surrounding the feathers that miraculously remained untouched.

She had no words to express how moving it was and she, a simple hunter, could witness the beauty of this moment.

Anjali Raskor
Apr 19th, 2019, 10:08:06 PM
The ethereal real, wasn't where Anjali's natural inclinations lied; but how things had played out since the cataclysm, embodying a prophecy the Lavender Rift clan leader had told her since she was a child, had invigorated her faith. And the way the survivors had gathered under the Undead Fires banner was nothing short of a miracle. Sure, the strong survived best, and life was filled with trials to test one's mettle; but she was aware that the gods had had their hand into the events regardless. Denying it wouldn't just be blasphemy, but sheer idiocy.

She was keenly aware of Cearia's presence by her side, whispers in the wind flowing around them. She could feel the energy vibrating around them from above, from within, as she proceeded with the ceremony. She eventually put her knife aside, and retrieved the pouch with the dried mauve flowers, and she rested them under the red bird's spread wings.

"We place ourselves under your watch and guidance, now and always."

She bowed her head again.

"May we prove worthy of walking the lands and grow stronger for whatever fate awaits us with."

The Clan Mother then placed some dry small branches and leaves around the offering, close enough the fire would take when lightened.

Her hands still blooded by the offering, she looked at the huntress.

"Sister Cearia, will you light the fire?"

It was the right thing to end the ceremony with ensuring the offering was for the gods only and not for any natural predators looming in the area.

Cearia Tserta
Apr 19th, 2019, 10:55:16 PM
An involuntary shiver coursed through her body, forcing Ceara's jaw to strain to keep teeth from chattering. It confused her because the temperature was not chilly at all tonight and then wondered if their sacrifice was gifted with the gods presence. She even repeated the words to herself, wanting to be in the moment with her leader.

Her mind quieted and watched Anjali bring kindling out. At first it was surprising to her, but if this was to honor the dead and bring blessings to their settlement, it made sense to have fire cleanse the offering and allow it to scatter by the winds. What she wasn't expecting was being the one chosen to light the fire. Her mouth fell agape and froze, eyes darting from the offering to Anjali.

"Of ... of course," she forced out and approached the stone.

She knelt down, pulled flint from her pouch and focused on this important task, not wanting to disappoint her leader. She brought the flint down and struck it against another shiny stone to produce sparks that leaped onto the dried twigs and leaves. White smoking billowed up and Cearia coaxed the tiny embers with well placed puffs of air from her mouth. The smoke increased and there was a small pop as the embers grew hotter until a tiny fire appeared.

Cearia stood up and joined Anjali as the fire quickly spread around the veeka, but it did not consume the its flesh yet. She could smell its blood filling her senses and slowly closed her eyes, hoping that gods appreciated and accepted her role in this offering tonight.

Anjali Raskor
Apr 19th, 2019, 11:13:38 PM
Anjali wasn't as surprised by Cearia's initial reaction as she might have been during their first meeting. It seemed matching with how the huntress had expressed discomfort at partaking in the celebrations earlier in the day. The Clan Mother knew that it was right for her ceremony companion to light the fire that would connect the offering to the gods even further, mingling the sacred bird with the wind and eventually the earth.

She watched Cearia light the fire, her attention upon her gestures. Her eyes went back to the spreading fire as the two Night Sisters stood side by side. Anjali felt a shiver course down her spine as she smelled blood. The current of energy was powerful at the ceremonial site, comforting her in her decision to invite Cearia to join her. It had been a strong inkling, the kind she had learned to recognize and follow over the years.

The moment the fire licked and began consuming the crimson feathers and the sacred bird's flesh, Anjali noted how the skies had darkened, sunset slowly giving way for night to take over.

Cearia Tserta
Apr 20th, 2019, 12:05:47 PM
Cearia was fixated on the moment, watching the fire consuming the veeka. It was a beautiful display, the orange and yellow flames spreading along the well carved body and blood. The crackling of kindling thundered against her ears as the smell of burning flesh hit her nose harder than the smell of blood. Blood she was used to. Cooking she was used to. This ceremonial offering by flames was a distinct smell of wood and flesh to bring ancestral blessings.

She was used to eating what she hunted and used whatever was left for clothing and weapons. To consume a creature just for sacrifice was strange to her but it was beautiful to watch. Standing by Anjali during the ceremony and being part of it, not just a simple watchful bystander, had made the moment more intimate. Cearia was still unsure how deserving she was of this honor by the Clan Mother.

Uncertain how long they would wait, she continued to stand vigil alongside Anjali.

Anjali Raskor
Apr 20th, 2019, 12:36:04 PM
Anjali's eyes remained upon the fire until the very last spark faded out. The energy and atmosphere of the ritual was eerie, and she couldn't help wondering whether she was oblivious to some deeper meaning or hint. Time would tell. What she knew deep inside was that the gods' approval was interwoven with the huntress's presence by her side. Things had unraveled as they were meant to with the offering, and she felt a sense of rejuvenation. There was a subtle disquiet in her soul; but she kept that to herself. Even as the two women stood beneath the light of the almost full moon, the Clan Mother could still feel the tendrils of energy around and between them.

Remaining silent, Anjali eventually opened the circle again, and blurred the faint line with the rest of the ground, tracing it from memory. Brushing the dirt off her hands afterwards, she heard Iss-Ka move, but keeping her distance until commanded otherwise.

The Clan Mother looked at the huntress as she rested a hand upon her arm.

"I am glad you could be part of this ceremony, Sister Cearia."

Cearia Tserta
Apr 20th, 2019, 12:44:42 PM
Anjali finally stirred and Cearia's attention went straight to watching how her leader tended to the area after the ceremony. Cleaning the area properly was just as important as preparations and the ceremony itself. It was similar with hunting. A hunter had to make sure they had all the equipment they needed to be successful and anticipate any issues. Then the act of the hunt itself could last hours or days depending on prey, until the butchering and cleaning of the animal to secure as much meant and materials for the clan. Ritual and hunt had many similarities even if the tasks were different.

The touch of her leader stirred Cearia to the present and immediately turned to gaze at her. While she still felt out of place, Cearia kept that to herself. Her words were still from the heart.

"I'm honored you wanted me here, Clan Mother."

Anjali Raskor
Apr 20th, 2019, 12:53:40 PM
Survival had been at the forefront of everything Anjali had done in the past months; but she had learned to admit, at least to herself, that the huntress had caught an interest that wasn't solely in relation to the thriving of the Clan. She was by no mean shy or ashamed of having carnal wants. Other clan members had either joined as mates already or found one another, whether for a night or for life, since the Undead Fires had emerged. Yet Anjali felt it inappropriate to consider such inclinations with her current positions. It felt particularly wrong to let the thought pass through her immediately after the ceremony that had taken place.

Or maybe, it was a sign of the gods she shouldn't deny part of herself.

Regardless of what it was, Anjali would reflect on that at another time. She still had an example to set for the whole Clan, and her strength would help rule, lead, and support the survivors so they would become stronger as years went by.

She let go of the huntress's arm, and nodded. "It was the right thing to do. I am glad the gods blessed you so you could become part of the Clan."

Cearia Tserta
Apr 20th, 2019, 06:40:41 PM
Cearia inclined her head, unaware of the conflict that Anjali felt as she was not connected to the Force like many of the settlement. She was a mere mortal with skill.

"I'm fortunate that my path found me here. As far as I know, I'm the last of my former clan. I can provide what I was, to what I am here, to keep our people's bellies full," she said with conviction. "Their hope is what matters."

Yes, she was sad that she was all that was left of her proud people from the Red Hills but she was a survivor. They all were and this settlement creating the Undead Fires Clan was a testament for that need. The gods had blessed this land and survivors to continue their way of life.

Anjali Raskor
Apr 20th, 2019, 06:52:33 PM
Unaware that Cearia didn't share the Force sensitivity rather common across the Clan members, Anjali nevertheless listened to the huntress's words with attention. "I have no doubt you will continue to contribute to the Clan. We need everyone's talents and abilities so we may become stronger."

She was the last of her line, but a handful of other survivors from the Lavender Rift had been found during later scouting missions, much to her joy, even though they weren't anyone she had particularly interacted with back in the day.

"Let's return to the settlement," she said at last, instinctively leading the way, clicking her tongue for Iss-Ka to move closer to them at last.

The large lizard trotted to the two women and made a curious noise, which Anjali recognized as approbation, as she sniffed Cearia.

"I think Iss-Ka likes you," she said with a chuckle.

Cearia Tserta
Apr 20th, 2019, 07:08:30 PM
Cearia nodded, ready to leave at dawn to continue to do just that - find more verne to bring back to raise. She felt it was her duty to continue what she started and returning to the settlement was a great idea. The hunter needed her rest after the excitement in returning and being honored to witness the great ritual that Anjali performed. Her mind was exhausted despite her soul invigorated with standing alongside her leader.

On guard as Iss-Ka joined them out due to hunter's instinct, Cearia narrowed her gaze at the Voritor as this was the first time she was this close to her. She cocked her head to the side and watched her nostrils flare before a tongue darted out towards her. Much pride was felt as Cearia stood her ground and then confirmed with the Clan Mother's words.

"She does?" Cearia said with surprise.

Anjali Raskor
Apr 20th, 2019, 07:15:38 PM
Even in the moonlight, Anjali was happy to see Cearia stand more certainly as her lizard approach. She could understand the huntress's caution given her role and occupation. The Clan Mother wouldn't deny that Iss-Ka could be ravenous and pushy when she saw an opening; but her behavior was quite different at this point, which pleased the Night Sister.

She grinned at the huntress's surprise. "Her noises and hisses can sound the same to an untrained ear, but she is exhibiting a relaxed and curious behavior about you, and that slower tongue dart she just did is a mark of appreciation, contrary to a quicker flicker that commonly marks annoyance if not worse."

As if on cue, Iss-Ka repeated her behavior, as if to make sure the huntress could recognize it in the future. Then, the large reptile moved forward, opening the way for the two women to walk back towards the settlement.

Anjali briefly rested her hand on the small of the huntress's back to indicate they could walk side by side, instead of her leading the way.

Cearia Tserta
Apr 20th, 2019, 07:29:58 PM
She tried in vain to hear anything different in the way Iss-Ka communicated but all she heard was a bunch of unrelated hissing noises. It was really her stance that Cearia could pick out some of what Anajli was trying to explain. She watched Iss-Ka's tongue dart out before scampering around to lead the way back. Never in her young life would she presume that what just happened, would.

Blinking several times to accept what occurred, Cearia fell in step beside Anjali. It was difficult to accept this, as it was the celebration earlier, because this fell out of protocol with a leader. Since finding her way by chance to Anjali after fishing, it seemed that the Clan Mother's presence was constantly challenging her comfort levels.

"I will be leaving again the morning if I have your blessings, Clan Mother. I want to keep searching for more verne."

Anjali Raskor
Apr 20th, 2019, 07:37:02 PM
Iss-Ka's surprising welcoming of Cearia in Anjali's proximity wasn't lost on the Clan Mother. It only made her ponder some more, albeit briefly, as this was not the time or place to do as such. Anjali had mostly been functioning as a leader-in-progress, pushing herself more to ensure the well-being of the clan members; but outside of her tie to the Shaman, she tended to keep to herself when it came to a private level. At least, it had been until she had connected with the huntress; and she hated to admit it, but it was completely different from the fated friendship and leadership bond she had with Megaera. She knew how to recognize it, but she wasn't ready to make steps into such directions.

When Cearia asked for her blessings to go back hunting, she was touched by the question.

"You do have my blessings, Sister Cearia. I pray the gods watch over your hunt once again."

Cearia Tserta
Apr 20th, 2019, 07:52:46 PM
She smiled, glad for Anjali's approval. After what they had shared tonight, it was important for the hunter and her leader to be in agreement with Cearia's departure. Her talents were better suited to find more game and bring it home than expanding the enclosure and hunting close by for daily food. Her goal was a sustainable food source and they needed more animals.

"With the ritual complete and your blessings, I'm sure my journey will be successful." She lightly smiled, eyes fixed on the voritor, feeling that Iss-Ka's approval was another blessing all on its own.