PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Gems

Maggewetok
Jan 26th, 2018, 07:04:52 AM
I

Dark, serene space was quickly interrupted by the exit into realspace of a YT 1300, a much modified freighter, now headed to the planet of Dolla. Being a major system on a minor trade route in the Outer Rim, the moderate amount of freighters, container ships as well as Customs ships was fairly normal. This version had an a added a ion turret where the port side docking collar was normally located, centered between the nose and engine nacelles.
Within the cozy cockpit, Alec turned on the sensor suite out of habit as the pilot and owner of the Witch Hunt switched off the autopilot. Noticing a line of container ships and freighters in the distance, hovering in line over the main world, brown eyes then caught a blip now on fast approach from the nearby asteroid field.
“Company,” the tall, lanky copilot warned, then tapped the button to the ship’s intercom. “Weapon stations, ladies. Incoming freighter.”
Now in business mode once more, Cabrin yanked the steering yoke hard to port to meet the incoming threat, then hit the button to turn on the shields. “Wanna fight? Come on then,” he sneered.
Green lances raced to the Witch Hunt, bouncing off of the unseen barrier, as well as missing the craft as the veteran pilot maneuvered. Dancing around the incoming bolts, the young pilot and his crew had seen more than their share of pirates.
“Hostile on sight,” Alec commented as he continually tried to reroute power to compensate for the damage taken. “Think they know you?”
“Focus here,” Cabrin replied distractedly. “You guys going to shoot back or what,” he yelled over the intercom.
“Powering guns up now,” Jared’s lower, accented tone replied, also aggravated.

“Weren’t expecting this,” Tularik added from the ventral turret. “Give us a minute.”
“We’ll be dead in a minute,” Cabrin shot back, still trying to avoid being hit as the pirate’s ship passed them, another burst from its own dorsal cannon scoring a hit.
Alec glanced at the small monitor before him, “Shields at fifty-eight percent.”
Banking upward, then rolling into a backward turn, the Witch Hunt then became the predator. As the Kazellis freighter tried to gain some separation, it was then hit by both turrets of the Witch Hunt. Green bursts exploded across the surface of the wing shaped vessel now juking and diving as it tried to avoid being blown out of the empty darkness around it.
Switching shields to double up on the front quarter, Alec noticed the opposing freighter’s intentions. “Can’t let them escape into the belt.”
“I know,” the pilot replied as he continued to push the Witch.
Another salvo was exchanged between the two combatants, sparks exploded from two panels behind Alec. “Shields offline,” he stressed. “Can’t take another hit like that.”
Cabrin sighed, frustration etched on his face just as he dove to starboard, then angled his ship sidelong to the enemy. Both turrets fired, their energy bolts slamming into the pirate vessel just as it passed by a small asteroid. It’s body engulfed by arcs of electricity, the ship was dead in space.
“They’re not walking away from that one,” Jared stated proudly, then chuckled.
“Nice work guys,” Cabrin banked the ship away from the asteroid belt, then surveyed the two monitors to his left. Sighing, “Ilana, how bad?”
A silent moment as the crew recovered, then the silky reply. “We need to get this thing on the ground. Now.”
“Okay,” Cabrin shook his head, then tried to maneuver the Witch toward the queue in the distance.
“Shields are pretty much gone,” Alec informed. “Probably gonna need a new paint job as well,” he smirked, glancing to his friend. “Oh, wait.”
Cabrin smiled, “Never get tired of that, do you?”
“I didn’t mean to insult your baby,” his hands raised defensively.
“Yeah, right.”
Alec sobered, gazing out through the cockpit’s viewport. “Think they’ll have a cafe that at least accents their meals with protein paste?”
“We’ve had meals aboard the Witch,” Cabrin defended.
Brown eyes glanced to the pilot, “Yeah, that’s what I said.”
“I don’t know why I bother,” Cabrin relaxed into his well worn seat, blue eyes now taking in the view of the verdant, temperate world far below. “Might as well report in about the pirates before Customs asks us about it.”
“Alright, I’ll get us landing clearance as well.”

Brown eyes glanced back toward the rounded hall angled toward the engineering area as Tularik turned right and headed into the common area. “Don’t you think it’s odd that she knows so much about ships?”
Jared glanced to the ex-Imperial soldier, grinning wryly. “No. I’m just glad someone on this tub does.”
Nearing the bounty hunter, he relaxed and shifted mental gears. “We hardly know anything about her and Cabrin’s all about letting her tamper with the main systems.”
Chuckling, green eyes turned to him as Jared shouldered his pack. “You always been this paranoid? She’s saved our butts more than once and all of us still wake up in the morning.”
“Eh,” Tularik shrugged as he moved to the narrow door leading into the small armory. “One day we may regret taking her on, that’s all I’m saying.”
“You know she can hear you, right?”
Tularik slowed his movement as he claimed his weapons, biting his upper lip.

Replacing her tools into the small metal box, Ilana shut off the hand held sensor as the native of Belsavis heard Cabrin approach before he stepped into the narrow engineering area. Rising, she set the toolkit into the slender locker and closed the door.
“So,” Cabrin greeted, leaning on the doorframe, arms crossed as blue eyes scanned the clutter of machinery. “How bad?”
“Shield generator,” the slender, ebon haired fighter began as she turned, following his eyes. “Fuel cooling system and auxiliary acceleration compensator.” Hazel brown eyes returned to the pilot and owner. “Not going to be cheap,” she guessed, silky long black hair pouring down her back.
“Never is,” he grinned. Eyeing her for a long moment, “Thanks for your help. I know the droids can only do so much when it comes to helping in here.”
“Don’t worry about it,” she shrugged. “Free room and board. Can’t complain.”
Cabrin chuckled as he straightened, “Why not? Everyone else does.”
“They love this ship as much as you do. It’s home.”
He nodded, sobering then turned to leave. “It can be yours too if you want.”
Ilana moved to follow. “I know.”
Leaving it at that, he led her toward the common area. “Not sure how long we’ll be on Dolla. Repairs may take a few days, so grab whatever you don’t want to disappear. Never know about some mechanic’s crew sometimes.”
“Alright.

II

Pouring himself more stimcaf, Victor’s tired, brown eyes glanced to his fellow Rangers as they ate snacks he normally tried to avoid. “That stuff’s gonna kill you guys,” he commented, walking toward the breakroom’s main entrance.
“So’ll getting shot at for a living,” one of them replied, then took another big bite.
Grinning, the veteran officer exited out into the main walkway, passing a multitude of horseshoe-shaped workstations, young faces illuminated by the variety of holoimagers and lighted consoles around them. Days long gone for the Sector Ranger nearing retirement.
Stepping into his office, the door slid shut behind him, muffling the daily chaos that came with this job. Plopping into the high backed, black leather chair, he leaned down and opened a bottom drawer in his large desk and pulled out a bottle. Pouring some of the brown liquid into his stimcaf cup, he then capped it and returned it to the drawer and closed it once more. Taking a long sip, he glanced to the holopic of a twelve year old girl and her mother. Grinning at the sight, he hoped to see her soon; Finally meeting the daughter who had grown up without him.
“Salado,” the intercom on his desk came to life.
“Yes,” he replied, mentally back to the present once more. Brown eyes turned to the small image of his executive officer here on Dolla.
“Just got a report of an incident between two freighters near the belt. One of them was ionized and it’s crew are in custody, but the other made it planetside.”
He shrugged with disinterest. “So?”
“It’s the Witch Hunt. I ran a report and thought you should see this,” she informed, then pressed an unseen button. “That’s all we have, but it’s more than enough.”
“Alright,” Victor turned his attention to the file now hovering over his black desk. In renewed interest he ran down the list of infractions as Officer Tully read them off.
“Possession and transportation of stolen goods, altering a transponder code. The captain’s also wanted for assault of Imperial personnel.”
“Another fine, upstanding citizen.” Victor sighed, then took another sip. “Any idea where he is now,” he inquired, returning his gaze to his second-in-command.

“Not at the moment, but their ship is docked at a repair yard owned by one…. Gerold Tiy.”
“Put surveillance on the yard and have a team begin tracking their steps.”
“Got it.”
Once her image faded, Victor turned to the image of Cabrin Versiy as he downed the last of his spiked stimcaf. Time to go to work, he mused and read through the rest of the criminal’s file.

Seated with his back to the wall at a round table, light poured in through the cantina’s many large windows along the main wall to his left. Smells from the variety of dishes already served to those around the group, his mouth watered in anticipation of his own order.
“Think she likes you,” Jared nudged Tularik, then motioned to their attractive, blue skinned Twi’lek waitress.
“So, she has no taste is what you’re saying,” Alec jabbed, garnering chuckles from everyone else.
Cabrin smiled as he turned his attention to the ex-soldier and gunner. “Want her frequency? I’ll get it for you.”
“I’m quite capable, thanks.”His black hair kept short, he motioned to their copilot. “Alec’s still mad about the date I got with that dancer on Nothoiin. I understand.”
“Yes,” Alec smirked as he leaned in. “Cause I’m really into bantha.”
Jared laughed heartily as Tularik’s face began to glow.
Cabrin laughed as well, then felt his comlink chime, prompting him to remove it from his jacket pocket. Raising it, he clicked it on. “Yo.”
“Hey, it’s Gerold. Got your estimate and you were right about the damage. Going to take me a week. Some of the systems are really buried, so.”
“Alright,” he leaned back already expecting bad news. “How much?”
“Eight thousand. Would normally be ten, but my brother’s got a salvage business and got me a good deal on a couple parts.”
Nodding, he lowered his head. “I’ll get that to you within the week then.”
“Okay,” the technician replied, noise of plasma welding echoing in the background. “See you then.”
Clicking off the comlink, he slipped the slender device back into his jacket, gaining everyone’s attention. “Looks like a week.”
“Ow,” Alec replied. “How much?”
“Eight thousand.”
“Well, if you need any I have some credits stashed away.”
“Same here,” Tularik offered.
“”No,” he waved with his right hand, shaking his head. “I’ve got it.”

“Looks like we’ll have to get back to work then,” Jared stated. “I might be able to get a bounty here within a week. Maybe two. My certificate’s still active.”
“We’re going to be stuck here a week, so you guys do whatever you want.” He turned to their waitress as she approached with their meals, then began setting each before the five friends. Leaning on Cabrin’s right arm, she set his dish before him and smiled.
“Enjoy,” Ameerah winked then sashayed away from their table.
“How do you do that,” Tularik inquired as the rest began eating.
Cabrin smiled and shrugged.

Shaking the small wooden totem between his forefinger and thumb, as gnarled and darkly tanned as the rest of his skin, the Weequay bounty hunter sat patiently. Cool metal plating nearly bit through his dark grey pants as Koloch waited in the large, open common area aboard his freighter.
Boots beat upon the plating, announcing his brother’s approach as Jadyk glanced to the cylindrical heirloom. “Has Quay offered any guidance?”
Shaking his head, four long braids shook, perched from the back of his head by leather thong. One for each year the pair had left home. “Not yet. I imagine he’s busy with the others.”
Nodding, Jadyk sighed and glanced toward the closed door leading to the suites and engineering area. “Taarga’s going to want his prizes soon,” the equally gruff, gravelly voice echoed. Black orbs returned to his brother. “Hopefully Quay won’t make us wait too long. I’m getting hungry.”
“As am I, but we need to be sure this planet’s the right one to remain on.” Koloch’s expectant gaze returned to the totem and he shook it once more.
“The discs in his pack are going to make us a fortune. I can’t imagine that Quay won’t wish the sacrifice of the thief instead of taking him to Taarga. You shouldn’t have told the Hutt that we had him.”
Koloch shrugged, shaking the totem again. “He asked. I told him.” Holding the keepsake of his people outward, his eyes fixed on the darkened cuts in it’s surface. Soon, he noticed the highlights dance on down it’s length, making his black eyes widen. Pushing himself up to stand, he let the totem fall to his armored chest, bound around his neck by a leather thong. “We stay. Come on, he’s going nowhere.”
Grinning, Jadyk followed his brother down the ramp, closing up the newer YT2400. Their prisoner and the discs would be safe until they returned.

Maggewetok
Jan 26th, 2018, 07:09:40 AM

Gerold smiled as he finished a transaction, the older human male having come for repairs on his fleet of freighters often. “Have a good one, Tikal. See you later.”
“You bet,” the man turned and headed toward the entrance. “You too.

Once the ship owner stepped out, the door remained open allowing an older, red headed, human male in grey and blue, padded uniform within the salvager's office. Displayed proudly on his chest and left shoulder, the round, blue and white patch denoted a Sector Ranger.
Gerold’s mood sobered as the officer approached the long counter separating the lightly populated lobby from shelves full of parts behind him. “Can I help you sir?”
“One way or another,” Victor leaned on the polished, wooden top. “Victor Salado, Special Enforcement Officer,” he introduced, grinning.
“Gerold Tiy, owner and operator.”
“Pleasure,” Victor glanced to Gerold’s nephew peeking from between a pair of shelves. “Been in business long?”
“About twelve years, yeah.”
“Hmm,” hands outward, palms together, Victor eyed him for a long moment. “You in the habit of aiding and abetting felons?”
Brow furrowed at the accusation. “Excuse me? I’ve never done that knowingly.”
“So, you’ll be giving me the location of the owner of the Witch Hunt and his companions, then. Otherwise, I’ll be taking you and your employees downtown.”
Gerold felt his blood cool. “They just dropped it off and left. I never ask personal things like that.”
“So then you have his comm frequency. I’ll need that.” Rising, Victor sniffed derisively, watching as the sweating owner moved to the computer behind the counter. “Really appreciate your cooperation in this matter.”
“Of course,” Gerold wrote the number down, then handed the small piece of flimsiplast to the officer. “There you go.”
Taking it, Victor confirmed the number and moved to leave. “I’m sure you know not to leave town, right?”
Gerold sighed, “I have no reason to.”
“I seriously hope it stays that way.” Turning, he walked out.
Shoulders sank as the technician felt his heart begin to sink back down out of his throat. Though he also knew Cabrin and his friends were now in trouble. Picking up his comlink, he touched the number to his favorite cafe.
“Hey sweetie,” Ameerah answered in her normal, toyful manner.
“Hey, was looking to order something for pickup here shortly.”
“Okay.”
Glancing through the window left of the door, he watched as the Sector Ranger headed to a dark speeder truck. “Two orders of timay with a side of keen. Be there in about fifteen or twenty to get it.”
“We’ll have it ready.”
“Thanks.”

Turning off her comlink, Ameerah typed in the order and sent it to the kitchen behind her. Once done, she moved down the length of the counter, then out onto the main floor, her brilliant green eyes focused on Cabrin and his friends now finishing their late lunch.
Leaning in, she placed her left hand on his shoulder as she whispered in his ear. “Rangers are headed here. You need to go.”
Glancing up to her, concernedly, “What? How do you know?”
“Gerold just warned me,” she informed, then rose and moved to take the empty plates and other dishes.
“Grab your things, guys,” Cabrin warned. “Time to go.” Rising, he paid their bill as Ameerah glanced to him and grinned sympathetically.
“Take care,” she bid.
“Thanks. You too.”

Victor climbed into the back of the speeder truck, closing the door to the public as he meandered between two analysts seated at a bank of computers and monitors. Crumpling up the frequency offered, he tossed it into a nearby trash bin at his feet, then leaned on the shallow counter behind him.
“He just called a cafe two miles from here. Made an order, then hung up,” his executive informed, now seated at the end of the computer consoles, across from him. “Think they’re going to lunch or just warned him?”
Victor thought long and hard on those options, staring at nothing in particular. Tired, brown eyes soon gravitated to her, then his raised chronometer. He could always trust her intuition, especially as his focus had waned the past couple years.
“I don’t know. You hungry?”

Cabrin led the group toward the nearby staircase as he noticed Tularik and Ilana part. She continued heading toward the entrance as the ex-Imperial soldier joined them. “Where’s she going?”
“Going to find us a ride,” he informed. “Said she’d call when she found something.”
Nodding, he continued up to the first landing, gathering the three other males together now that they had some privacy. “Rangers are on their way,” he stated in hushed tones, then looked at Jared. “Find us a speeder,” he directed, then turned to Tularik. “You two meet us a block southeast of here, we’ll grab your things. Go.”
“What’s going on,” Tularik pressed.
“We can talk later,” Cabrin replied as he and Alec hurried upstairs. Stepping into their communal room complete with four sets of bunks, Cabrin gathered up Ilana and Tularik’s packs, then placed them on his bed.

“How long you think we got,” Alec asked.
“Probably ten, maybe fifteen mics.” Jamming his now loaded pistols into two shoulder holsters, he grabbed up the two packs with his right hand, then tossed his own over his left shoulder. Moving back to the hallway, he led Alec to the stair and headed down. The coast being clear out front, he turned right and continued into the kitchen, then out into the alley beyond.
Walking with purpose, they continued to an intersecting alley, then turned left and soon made their way to another busy avenue. Scanning for any sign of Jared and Tularik, Cabrin walked toward the distant intersection. Passing shops and meandering through foot traffic, they soon reached the corner and stopped.
“You know, those two are probably arguing over make and model,” Alec joked, though the truth probably wasn’t far off.
“If they are, then remind me to introduce them to the Captain’s Locker.”
Alec smiled, nodding to random passersby. “Can I help?”
Cabrin glanced down to the west, “Sure,” he replied distractedly. “Hate for you to miss out on all the fun.”
“You know, if they see us out in the open like this, Rangers don’t care about collateral damage.”
Nodding, Cabrin knew that as well. “Just keep your eyes open.” Glancing south and then east, he was growing impatient. “And pray that Jared and Tularik get here first.”
“Only praying person in our group went after a ship,” Alec reminded, then grinned. “Maybe we’ll be fortunate enough to have her land it in this intersection, right on top of the Ranger’s vehicle.”
Cabrin smiled as he imagined that scenario. “Wouldn’t put it past her.”

Long, black hair tied up into a bun at the back of her head, Ilana strolled the access hallway in the starport, adorned in technician’s coveralls. Badge stolen from the same locker now hanging from her left breast pocket, the exotic looking female soon found the target hangar. Swiping the badge over the access panel, she continued through the opening door and disappeared inside.
Closed up, the YT 2400 sat quietly bathed in golden light from overhead glowlamps. Little cover between the personnel entrance and the prize, she moved to the ship with familiarity. Reaching up with a slender, tanned forefinger, she tapped the access button and was surprised as it opened. Servos whined as the ramp lowered, allowing her inside.
Pistol now in hand, she quickly and quietly cleared the captain’s cabin, common area and moved to the cockpit. Sliding into the pilot’s seat, she tapped the button to close the ramp temporarily, then set her pistol in her lap. Taking out her comlink, she dialed Cabrin.

Still waiting for their ride, shoppers and business people passing by, Alec nudged Cabrin on the arm, prompting the son of a bounty hunter to turn left and recognize Tularik in the passenger seat of a black sedan.

VIctor’s heart rate rose with that familiar excitement of being on the hunt. A desire to catch a criminal coupled with the unexpected once they met had only seemed to intensify with age.
“Camera on Fifth has them at the northwest corner,” one of the analysts informed. “Moving toward a black Magnus.”
“Punch it,” Victor commanded the driver. “I don’t want these guys getting to the starport.”
Moving around him, Venora Tully leaned over the shoulder of the analyst. “It’s Cabrin and one other,” she informed. “Looks like two more in the vehicle.”
Checking over his T6 Thunderer, Victor nodded, only half listening. “Keep them in sight.”
“Suspects just got into the speeder and they’re heading south,” the excited update from the younger Ranger exuded his own anticipation.
Banking right, the speeder truck meandered through afternoon traffic, its flashing lights making the other drivers move out of their path.
“Want me to coordinate with the local constabulary,” Tully inquired.
Victor shook his head, “We got this.” He glanced to his executive “Tell Team Two to parallel them and move to block the suspects,” he leaned in toward a monitor displaying the city’s street grid then pointed to a distant intersection. “Here.”
Tully relayed the command to their second team as Victor slipped on his blast vest, then helmet

Maggewetok
Jan 26th, 2018, 07:11:00 AM

In the back seat, Cabrin checked his modified DL 44, recognizing that gnawing in the back of his mind that usually forewarned him of danger. A feeling that he had come to trust.
“So let me guess,” Alec seated to his left began. “You wanted a blue one, Tularik the red, so you guys settled on the racy black one.”
Jared chuckled as he drove, meandering through traffic as Tularik also checked his carbine, laid across his lap,and ignored the jab.
Cabrin glanced out through the window at those they passed, a part of him admiring the simple lives most of these people led. His other side being an adrenaline junky, he knew settling down was a long way off. Buzzing from his left jacket pocket interrupted his musings. Taking out the military grade comlink, he tapped it on. “Hey. Find something?”
“Hangar Thirty-Two A,” Ilana informed. “Warming it up now.”

“On our way.” Clicking it off, he slipped the comm device back into his pocket. “Starport.”
Alec glanced at him, “Lady Death came through. Never had a doubt.”
Tularik shook his head as Jared kept them heading south. “Sure would love to know more about her. That took her what, a half hour?”
“We all have our talents,” Jared agreed appreciatively, then turned the vehicle hard to the right as he tried to avoid a collision with a dark grey speeder truck, then slammed into a parked speeder.
“Game on,” Cabrin stated, shoving his door open, pistol in hand as the side door to the truck opened along with one in the rear of the vehicle.
Pouring out, men and women in Ranger uniforms yelled at the quartet to get down and drop their weapons. At that same moment, Cabrin and his friends opened fire, dodging to cover as screams erupted from bystanders now ducking or getting hit by stray shots from the Rangers. Red bolts caught four Rangers immediately, sending them to the duracrete surface. Firing over the hood of a parked speeder, Cabrin noticed movement from the driver’s side of the truck. Running to the side of the next parked vehicle, he pushed a woman down as two bolts seared through windows, shattering them. Alec continued across the street, dodging as he fired both of his elegantly made, flintlock-style blasters, making his way to outflank the rear of the truck.
As Cabrin pushed toward the front of the speeder he used as cover, boots exposed below the truck became targets he couldn’t ignore. FIring, he caught the Ranger in the ankle and dropped him. Now fully exposed, Cabrin fired again into the man’s torso and finished him as Tularik tossed a grenade into the open side door, prompting most to take cover.
“Frag out!”

Victor crouched at the side door, T6 in hand as he watched traffic dodge out of their way, or stop altogether. Hearing the comm chatter from the Rangers now in contact, he sighed in frustration as the driver revved the engine, shoving between two speeders, Team Two’s speeder truck in the approaching intersection.
Yelling was interrupted by a brilliant explosion, the concussion shattering windows, knocking foot traffic and bystanders to the ground as Team Two’s truck disappeared in a fireball.
Yanking the door aside, Victor leaped to the roof of the speeder blocking him, then ran across trunks, rooves and hoods, four Rangers now following. Brown eyes eagerly sought for survivors as well as any sign of their quarry.
Jumping from the hood of a singed speeder, nearest to the explosion, he noticed movement on the sidewalk to his left, most women and a few men assisting those around them, or moaning from their injuries. One in particular caught his attention as three Rangers moved to check their fallen comrades, black smoke obscuring them from immediate blaster fire.

Victor’s eyes narrowed as he began to recognize the dark hair and blue eyes now turning to him as Cabrin pushed himself up. A dark grin arced on the officer’s face as he raised his weapon. “Freeze!”
Within those brief moments, another figure emerged from behind the speeder Cabrin had been using as cover, rifle up. Cabrin also raised his pistol as Victor pulled the trigger, then was shoved left and down, his shot high and raced to hit a tall, windowed building across the street.
His right arm numb, burning pain seared through his shoulder as Cabrin and his friends sprinted from the scene. Groaning, he winced as Victor rolled onto his back and noticed Tully with four, carbon scored wounds in her upper chest and right shoulder.
“Medkit,” he screamed, ignoring his own injury as he pushed himself up, yanking his medpac from the right thigh pocket. Tearing it open with his left hand and teeth, he began treating his partner’s wounds. “Stay with me,” he said, desperation palpable.
“Ow,” Venora tried to laugh, but the pain in her face countered that attempt.
“The frell’d you do that for?”
“Now… we’re even,” she replied weakly.

Ears still ringing, Cabrin holstered his pistol as the group melted into the crowd and they continued to push toward the starport while nursing their own minor wounds.

Hazel brown eyes continued glancing up to the nearby hangar entrance as Ilana finished the power up sequence. After what seemed like hours, two clicks erupted from her comlink notifying the thief that Cabrin and the others were approaching the hangar now.
Ship idling, the personnel entrance opened revealing Jared, Tularik, Cabrin and then Alec. As they made their way to the now lowering ramp, Ilana prepared for takeoff.
Tapping the intercom button, she informed, “Grab a seat, lifting off now.”
Repulsor engines revved as the newer craft rose, spinning on an unseen axis, then cruised out through the upper story doorway and accelerated away from the city sprawl.
Entering the cockpit, Cabrin slowed, his hand on the back her chair. “Twenty-Four Hundred? Really?”
“It’s newer, fast and less mechanical issues than a particular Thirteen Hundred.”
He grinned, feigning injury. “You’ve been hanging around Alec too long.”
“It was also unlocked,” she added, guiding the ship through immense cottony clouds and into the blue.
“Seriously? That’s odd. You check the whole ship?”
“Haven’t heard anything yet, so.”
A long pause. “Which means someone could be onboard.”

“Doubtful, but feel free to check the suites. The ship’s been idling for a while now, so if anyone was onboard, they’re hiding.”
“Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy,” he replied, then moved to the communications suite and tapped the intercom button. “Jared, check the suites and engineering. Make sure the ship’s empty.”
“Kidding me? Alright,” the hunter replied.
“I’ll help,” Tularik volunteered.
Still waiting for the coordinates from the navicomputer, Ilana continued guiding the freighter into space. “Any trouble getting here?”
Cabrin sat in the copilot’s seat, facing her. “Oh, you know little gunplay, explosions, running and screaming. The usual.”
“Was wondering what took you so long,” she replied deadpan.
“Yeah,” blue eyes turned from the darkening view outside to her. “Want me to fly?”
“Thought you hated Twenty-Four Hundreds?”
He shrugged. “Yeah, but.”
Ilana glanced from the navicomputer to Cabrin. “I got it.”
“Okay,” he replied, though she could tell that he wanted to fly. “Where we headed?”
“Eriadu’s a day away. Give us time to figure out what’s going on and what to do next. Might even be a good place to grab something else. Sooner or later they’ll figure out we’ve grabbed this ship, so.” Hands on the steering yoke, she relaxed a bit. “Which I know will break your heart.”
Chuckling, he reclined as well. “Don’t care, to be honest. Just trying to figure out how we’ll get the Witch back in five days. Hopefully they’ll be out looking for us which will give us an opening to get back here.”
“Be nice.”
“Yes it would, though if my luck follows tradition, they’ll impound it and we’ll have to fight our way in, then another dogfight to escape here.”
Ilana chuckled lightly, his self deprecating nature still a mystery. “My own personal favorite. Sure Jared and Tularik would agree.”
“Yeah, no comment.”
Within moments, the vessel vanished into hyperspace.

Still in his armored boots and uniform pants, Victor’s right arm in a sling, he paced the lobby near the surgery wing as he awaited news. Mind replaying the events that cost him four Rangers and now possibly his executive officer, the veteran needed some good news for a change. Avoiding doctors, nurses and medical droids, he soon heard the approaching boots of one of his lead investigators.
“Sir,” the slightly younger ranger in uniform called. “Director needs you to call him.”
“Okay, Any word on the suspects?”

Raising a datapad, he glanced to the small screen. “They were seen at the security station in the starport, but we’re still tracking them from there. Odds are they’ve already left.”
“Yeah, no kidding,” Victor replied, anger and frustration in his voice. “What happened to the girl?”
Brow furrowed, “Sir?”
“They had a brunette with them in the cafe. Where’d she go?”
Baden shook his head. “No word, but I’ll look into it.”
“Keep me posted,” he sighed, then headed toward the holobooth across from the nurse’s station. There was still too much about this group that he didn’t know. “Dig into their past. I want to know about family, friends and contacts. Anyone that we can use to get to them.”
“On it,” the investigator replied, then parted with Victor as he continued to the turbolift cluster.
Stepping into the booth, Victor slipped his ident card into a narrow slot on the console to his left, then keyed in his security code to ensure the link would be encrypted. Waiting for the familiar image of his boss to emerge before him, he took a deep breath and prepared himself.
“Vic,” the older Ranger greeted, shaking his head. “Four dead, seven wounded including yourself. Why didn’t you deputize the local cops and have them back you up?”
“Wasn’t time. They were tipped off and would’ve escaped before I could do that.”
“Yet, they escaped anyway,” Enerr sighed, leaning on his desk. “I’m taking you off this one.”
“No, sir,” Victor protested. “I’m already invested and may have a lead on their next port. I”ve got this.”
“You’re wounded and I’m not letting you risk your retirement on these felons.”
“Sir, you do this and it’ll be months before we locate them again. Maybe longer.”
Director Attus eyed him for a long moment, cold steel-blue eyes boring holes into the officer and reminding Victor how the boss got to where he was. “These five aren’t your run-of-the-mill shipjackers. They’ve obviously had training and have worked together a while now,” he sighed. “What’s your plan?”
“His ship’s still here. Sooner or later he’s going to come back for it and I’ll keep an eye on the tech, his friend. Leave a door open long enough and they eventually come back through it. Then I close it and we’ve got ‘em.”
“These criminals don’t go to a penal colony. I want them in body bags. Got it?”
“Yes, sir.”
The link now closed, Victor sighed as he lowered his head. Now he really did have to find them, otherwise he could be the one given an early retirement.

Koloch and Jadyk returned to the hangar in disbelief, black orbs verifying that they were in the right hangar.
“Where did it go,” Jadyk asked.

“The thief couldn’t have gotten out and taken it,” his older brother hoped, then dug out a small sensor from a leather pouch on his belt, then turned it on. “Locator is showing our ship heading to Eriadu.”
“Should we get a ride to follow?”
Koloch replaced the sensor to the pouch and then raised the totem on his breastplate and shook it. “Quay, give us direction whether to follow or not.”
Jadyk remained fixed on the slender wooden object, then eyed his brother. “The longer we wait, the farther those discs get from us.”
Koloch glanced to him momentarily, then back to the totem. “I know.” Again, the blue reflective shimmer arced down it’s length and he grinned. “Let’s get a ride.”

Maggewetok
Jan 26th, 2018, 07:13:04 AM

Clearing the first three suites, Tularik walked to the fourth door and noticed a blue-green glow emanating around the frame and across the floor. A red button on the control panel to the right of the entrance denoted that it was locked from the outside. Now intrigued, he pushed the first of three white buttons below the red and watched as the dark doorway cleared to reveal a small cell and its single occupant. Eyeing him, the prisoner’s disheveled look and dirty blonde hair askew told of someone that had been here a while. Pushing himself to sit up on the bed, pale green eyes evaluated the mercenary.
“Hi,” Tularik greeted, bemused.
“Hey,” the slender, young, human male pushed himself to stand and approach. “What happened to the two Weequay?”
“Dead,” Tularik lied. “Ship’s mine now. What are you doing in here?”
“They kidnapped me,” Nyl’s tone grew desperate. “Wanted to sacrifice me to their god. Have to let me out of here.”
Tularik’s brown eyes narrowed. “Sacrifice you? Why?”
“No frellin’ idea. Aliens are crazy.”
“What’s your name?”
“Nyl. Yours?”
“Tularik,” he let his team-slung rifle lower to his right side, then crossed his arms. “Profession?”
“Infochant. Work for Black Sun. Sure you’ve heard of ‘em.”
“Who hasn’t?” Still unsure about this man, he hesitated releasing him.
“Look, I”ll see that you’re well compensated for letting me out and dropping me off at your next stop. I”ve got connections all over the galaxy.”
“I’m sure you do,’ Tularik relaxed, nodding. “Still don’t know why two Weequay would kidnap you though, unless they were bounty hunters hired by your boss.”
“That’s ridiculous. Like I told you, they said they needed a sacrifice to their deity and just grabbed me off the street.”

Seemingly honest, Tularik pushed the button to unlock the cell, “If you’re lying, I’ll space you long before we get there, got it?”
“Yeah,” Nyl nodded defensively, then hesitantly stepped into the hallway. “You alone?”
“No.”
Glancing passed the mercenary, he noticed Jared now exiting the engineering area as Tularik glanced over his right shoulder, now turned to allow the prisoner out.
“Who’s this,” Jared’s lower tone and serious demeanor judging the new face as he approached.
“Nyl,” Tularik replied. “Apparently was going to be a Weequay’s main course.”
“Really,” the bounty hunter assessed the dress and stance. “Kindof scrawny.”
“Haven’t had much to eat the last couple days. Autochef working,” Nyl asked.
Tularik nodded, ‘Yeah,” he motioned with his head. “Help yourself.” He then followed Nyl into the common area to see Alec cleaning his blasters at the lone table in the galley.
“Picking up strays now, Tularik,” Alec inquired, eyeing the newcomer.
“Found him in the cell back there.” Leaning on the wall, he watched as the lean human moved to the long counter across the back wall, eyeing the ornate wood and brass blasters.
“Nice,” Nyl stated. “Where’d you get ‘em?”
“Grandfather,” Alec informed. “And no, they’re not for sale.”
“Probably couldn’t afford them anyway,” he chose a dish on the menu and waited. “They took everything from me when I was nabbed.” He glanced over his left shoulder to Tularik. “Haven’t found a dark green backpack by chance, have you?”
“No.” Though he now had something to look for.
“Alright,” he replied, exasperation in his tone, then turned to the autochef as the small door and revealed his choice. Taking it, he carried the dish to an empty table, then sat down and began eating.

III

Perched into the corner of a couch situated in the hospital’s waiting room, Victor lay his head on the crook of his left arm, now atop the head of the padded back. Trying to get some rest after taking a pill to ease his headache, he had no alcohol to supplement the medicine.
“Sir,” Baden approached and sat down on the couch, waking the veteran officer. “Sorry, but we might have a lead on their destination.”
Sighing as he rubbed his eyes, Victor sat up, “Oh?”
“An old nav beacon caught the Erseke heading to Eriadu. Strange thing is though,” he glanced to his datapad. “Owners haven’t reported the ship stolen yet.”
“What do we know about the owners?”
“Two Weequay, brothers - Koloch and Jadyk. They boarded a private charter heading to Eriadu as well.”
Interest piqued, Victor sat forward. “Anything else about these two?”
“Registered bounty hunters with a small syndicate based on Nar Shaddaa.” Baden looked at Victor as he set the datapad down on his right thigh. “No information as to why they were here.”
“Did you find out anything about Versiy and his crew?”
Raising the datapad once more, Baden swiped his right finger over the small monitor. “Cabrin Versiy, son of a bounty hunter named Schall. Grew up in a human enclave on Devaron, mother was killed during a raid. He’s got a brother named Valtis, but no current whereabouts.” He cleared his throat as Victor listened. “Jared Syn was born and raised on Corellia, served in the army for four years. He lost his brother and cousin, then left the military and became a bounty hunter. His office hasn’t heard from him for two months now.” He grinned, glancing to Victor, then returned his gaze to the datapad. “You’re going to love this

one. Alec Beckner is the son of the Imperial governor of Tibro. Left home three years ago and they haven’t heard from him since.”
Victor’s eyes moved to the tile floor, “That complicates things,” he thought aloud, recalling the director’s orders to have all five in body bags by the end of this mission.
“We have no backgrounds on either Tularik or the brunette going by the name of Mya Sideki.”
“Facial recognition come up with nothing?”
“Not immediately, but when I sent those to ISB, I got a call from an Intel rep wanting everything we had so far.”
Victor’s eyes widened, “Of course they didn’t say why.”
Baden shook his head.
Taking in a deep breath, Victor sighed, left hand to his forehead. “I can’t let them take this case from us.”
“How can you stop them?”
Dropping his hand, Victor moved to stand, though still a bit light headed. “I’ve lost too many Rangers to let this go.” Taking a moment to let his mind clear, “Cabrin and his crew are mine.”
Rising with him, Baden eyed him concernedly. “Sir, you need some rest.”
“Call ahead to the Eriadu office and give them the profiles. They’re to detain these guys until I get there.”
“Yes, sir.”

Slipping off the technician’s coveralls finally, revealing a dark grey, loose fitting tunic and black pants, Ilana balled it up and stuffed the blue clothing and stolen badge into the trash reclamator aboard the Erseke.
“Much better,” Cabrin grinned as he moved passed her, now eyeing the new person at the table in the galley. “Coveralls made you look fat.”
Grinning, Ilana popped him on the arm with the back of her left hand. Though the appearance of a sixth onboard made her curious as well, now heading toward the galley and passing the captain’s cabin on their right.
“Who’s this,” Cabrin asked, gaining everyone’s attention.
“Nyl,” Tularik informed. “Infochant for Black Sun.”
Ilana slowed her pace knowing the reputation of the galaxy-wide syndicate.
“Really,” Cabrin’s tone shifted to more judgemental, standing now behind the chair at the head of the table, opposite Alec. “How’s it going,” he greeted the stranger as Ilana took up a position behind Nyl’s chair.
“Good,” the thief replied, glancing over his shoulder and smiled at the woman staring at him passively. “Like the company you keep.”

“Yeah,” Cabrin leaned over the back of the chair. “Eyes here,” he demanded gaining Nyl’s attention once more. “Why were you hiding on this ship?”
“Wasn’t. Bounty hunters had me locked up and were going to sacrifice me.”
Ilana thought that sounded a bit strange, though continued listening.
“Sacrifice you,” Cabrin’s brow furrowed quizzically.
“They were Weequay,” Alec informed.
Cabrin nodded, “But they didn’t which means you were worth more to them alive. What’s the rest of the story?”
Nyl shook his head, shrugging. “That’s it.”
Hazel brown eyes turned to Cabrin and Ilana shook her head. She had been taught a lot about body language and subtle tells when dealing with people.
Cabrin straightened, eyeing Nyl. “Tularik, put him back where you found him.”
“Okay,” moving eagerly around the table. “Get up, let’s go.”
Raising his hands defensively, “Wait a second. I’m a member of Black Sun. There’s a lot of money in it for you if you drop me off at your next stop.”
“Where’s the money at,” Alec inquired.
“With a friend. A contact.”
“You just happen to have a contact on every world,” Ilana finally spoke up, doubt in her voice. “You don’t even know where we’re headed. That’s convenient,” Ilana accused.
“I can call them and have the money transferred,” Nyl protested, now grabbed by Tularik and then dragged from the table. “You’re making a big mistake.”
“Seriously doubt that,” Cabrin replied
Jared followed as Tularik and Nyl disappeared into the hall leading to the suites.
Now gone, Ilana moved to the autochef, passing Alec who eyed Cabrin.
“He asked Tularik about a green backpack earlier. Think it may still be onboard?”
“Let’s find out,” Cabrin stated, then headed toward the captain’s cabin as Alec rose and walked to a door next to Ilana and opened it, revealing another furnished room. Though cozy, the immediate odor permeating the blanket and refresher turned her nose.
“Definitely Weequay,” Alec’s distaste evident on his clean shaven face. Going through all the drawers and storage locker, they found nothing of interest. Leaving the room, Ilana finished her water and placed the glass back into the autochef, then followed Alec toward the cargo bay door.
Alec eyed her as they entered the cluttered room, “How’d you know he was lying?”
“Body language,” She stated matter-of-factly. “Tone in his voice.”
“Didn’t know that was part of the curriculum for mechanics.”
She offered a half grin and followed him into the stacks of crates and barrels. “Be amazed what you learned when around guys whose minds are only on one thing.”
“Oh, you mean like power? Wealth? Pet baby rancor waddling under foot?”
Ilana chuckled as they both began searching the plastisteel boxes, glad that she had decided to stay with this group.

Bluish-white swirl filled his view through the transparisteel viewport of the cockpit of Victor’s RX4. The vessel having served him well during the last twelve years, he reclined in the black leather pilot’s chair, well conformed to his body now.
A chime on his Holonet suite came to life and he clicked it on. “Salado.”
“Vic,” the voice of Director Attus replied. “Where you going?”
“”Eriadu. And sir, before you…”
“Good,” the surprising reply. “I’m notifying the office there to cooperate fully with you.”
“I appreciate it,” Victor replied, confused.
“Just found out that those two hunters apprehended a thief by the name of Nyl Burham. He killed his contact on Bespin, then stole a packet of data discs. Twelve of them to be exact.”
“What’s on them?”
“All of our data on known pirates and smugglers in the Outer Rim and Expansion Region. Ten years worth of investigations past and present. I need you to get those back at any cost, before they’re sold on the black market.”
“You got it,” Victor promised, realizing the gravity of his decision now. “I was also informed that Intel wants to take over the investigation.”
“No. All they want are Tularik and the girl. Everyone else is ours as well as the thief and those discs. If you can’t get them, then I want them destroyed.”
“Understood.”
“Keep me apprised of your progress and good luck.”
“I will, and thanks.” Turning off the link, he glanced to the navicomputer. Still ten hours to Eriadu. TIme for some sleep.

Stepping from the refresher, Cabrin moved to the bed in the captain’s cabin and picked up his rust colored, leather jacket and slipped it on. Leaning over, he then picked up his weapon belt and buckled it around his waist as he moved to the doorway and stepped out. Turning right, he noticed the rest of the group at the table, eating breakfast. “Morning.”
“Hey,” Alec greeted, then motioned to Jared on his far right. “He found the backpack.”
“Oh,” Cabrin glanced to the hunter, his closely shaved, light brown hair forming a flattop. “Anything interesting?”
“Yeah,” he motioned with an upraised chin across the table to Ilana as she picked the lock of an ornate, polished wooden box whose corners were adorned in brass filigree. “Had to spike the storage locker across from my room. Nothing else inside but clothes, eclip recharger and his i.d.”
Cabrin chose stimcaf and a breakfast dish as Tularik added, “Nyl Burham from Nubia.”
Turning back to his companions, blue eyes drifted to the table in thought, curious now what added trouble they had brought among themselves. “How much longer to Eriadu?”

“Still three hours out,” Alec informed. “Sure we want to stop there?”
He shook his head, “Still making this up as I go.” Turning again, he withdrew his meal and took the cup, then moved to the empty chair between Alec and Ilana and sat down.
“Eriadu’s a staunchly Imperial world,” Alec continued. “Home of the Tarkin family.”
“Nice,” Cabrin began eating, watching as Ilana soon unlocked the box and studied the seam around the each side before opening it. Within, a black velvet pouch and grey plastisteel box of discs greeted them.
“Guess he wasn’t lying about being an infochant,” Ilana mused aloud as she removed one of the discs. Pulling out a pocket computer from her tunic, she inserted the disc in and began typing. “Hmm.”
“What,” Cabrin asked, intrigued.
“These are encrypted.”
“Can you decrypt them,” Alec leaned forward on crossed arms.
“Give me a moment.” Typing away, she seemed lost in her own world for some time.
As she worked, Jared removed the black pouch and opened it, then poured out white crystals into his palm. “Diamonds?”
Taking a small crystal between his thumb and forefinger, Alec held it up to let the light from the overhead luma shimmer off of it’s edges. “Gallinorean rainbow gems,” he grinned.
“How much those worth,” Tularik asked.
“About twenty thousand a gram,” the copilot smiled as he glanced to Cabrin. “More than enough to pay for the repairs on the Witch.”
“Have to fence ‘em first while avoiding Sector Rangers and possibly Black Sun mercs.”
“Seriously believe he’s Black Sun,” Jared huffed as he poured the gems back into the bag.
“Don’t know, honestly,” Cabrin replied, still eating.
“If he is,” Ilana finally relaxed. “He’s in bigger trouble than we are.”
“Why,” Cabrin turned his attention back to her.
“These files were extracted from the Ranger’s central data core. File numbers are investigations of every pirate and smuggler in this sector,” Hazel brown eyes motioned to the remaining discs. “And that’s just this disc.”
“Someone would be willing to pay a fortune for these,” Alec observed, adding the gem back to the rest, allowing Jared to tie it closed once more.
“You sell these and you’d have to go hide in the Unknown Regions to escape what would follow.” She returned the disc to the box and switched off her computer.
Cabrin began weighing their options, knowing how tempting this treasure trove was and the wealth it would bring

Maggewetok
Jan 26th, 2018, 07:14:38 AM
IV

Seated in the pilot’s chair, Ilana began plotting new coordinates at the navicomputer. Tanned, slender forefinger typed in the numbers, then she switched her attention back to the steering yoke as the Erseke came out of hyperspace. Knowing this was dangerous, even along a minor trade route, she banked the YT2400 to port, then pulled back on the three controls to catapult them back into hyperspace once again.
Now switched to the autopilot she sat back, hazel brown eyes returning to the navicomputer’s monitor. Not far left of their new destination lay Belsavis, a world she thought never to see again, though that night in the snow would never leave her.
“Hey,” Cabrin interrupted as he and Alec entered the cockpit. “What happened?”
Turning her chair to face them, she eyed the pair of rebels. “Changed course. We’re headed to Tibrin instead,” she motioned with her eyes to the navicomputer as they sat down. “Figure it only made sense. Rangers and who knows what else waiting for us on Eriadu, I’d rather disappoint them.”
“See,” Alec motioned to Ilana, eyeing Cabrin now in the copilot’s seat. “Told you she’d never fit in. We love charging ambushes.”
Grinning, Cabrin accessed the scant details on the world. “We still can, just on our own schedule instead of theirs.” He sat back, turning the copilot’s chair to face both of them. “Be a better place to dump the ship and disappear before they realize what happened. Maybe even think we went a totally different direction.”
Alec relaxed as well, “What do you want to do with the discs and our Black Sun guest?”
“Not sure yet,” Cabrin replied, blue eyes now focused on the panels to Ilana’s right. “If he really is Black Sun, it’s best they never find out we had him. If we fence the discs, it’s going to have to be through someone else. Money would have to stay with us instead of being deposited on a cred card or stick. Too easy to track.”

Ilana smiled, “I know someone that can help with the fencing part.”
Cabrin and Alec both eyed her, waiting for a name, then realized she wasn’t going to divulge that just yet. Better to surprise them, she mused.

Combing his hair as he walked from the refresher and through the small galley, Victor continued toward the lone pilot’s seat. Sliding in, he began the procedure to bring the ship out of hyperspace. Once done, he tossed the comb onto the console to his left, eyes now fixed on the long lines of freighters, yachts, and personal craft that frequented the major crossroads system on a daily basis.
Avoiding the long lines, the RX4 continued toward the main world, it’s blue and green surface vainly masked at various points by white clouds.
“Couvin,” an irritated male voice called. “This is Eriadu Central. All vessels….”
“This is S.E.O. Victor Salado, on official business.”
A short pause. “Copy. Proceed on your present course. Ranger H.Q. has already arranged for you to land in hangar seven.”
“Yep,” knowing the drill, he guided his sleek craft toward the capital’s western quarter and soon recognized the large hangar complex attached to the Sector Ranger compound. Flaring the repulsors as he lowered the landing gear, Victor then guided the ship into the proffered hangar. Setting down, he began shutting off the main systems and soon pushed himself up.
Slipping his arms into his blue and grey jacket, the Ranger then tapped the button to open the main access. Cooler air wafted in as he descended the steps to the hangar’s clean, permacrete floor.
Boots approached from his far left, announcing the planet’s chief officer, an equally veteran Ranger who’s greying, black hair, tanned face and weathered hands told their own story.
“Salado,” Tormin Saalb greeted, right hand extended. “Been a busy morning.”
Shaking his hand, Victor could definitely agree. “Looking forward to some good news.”
Turning, the tall officer led him toward the hangar’s personnel entrance. “I have seven Twenty-Four Hundreds detained and we’re searching them now. Had one run and I sent two fighters and a patrol craft after them.”
Victor slowed, “The Erseke hasn’t arrived?”
“Not under that name, no. Figured I’d play it safe in case they changed the transponder code. I saw this guy had a knack for that already.”
Sighing, Victor nodded. “No, you did the right thing. Wondering now if their hyperdrive is slower than the one registered.”

“Maybe theirs is damaged and they’re running on the backup,” Tormin suggested, opening the door for Victor, then followed him inside. “Still won’t give up hope yet on the one’s we’ve got.”
“True,” Victor replied, mind racing through all the possibilities, hopeful that Cabrin and his crew were already in custody. “Those seven here?”
“Yes,” Tormin motioned, “This way.”

The ornate box now in her own backpack, Ilana left the smooth coral street and climbed the equally dried and slightly pitted steps to a porch. Salty, warm air was starting to dry her full lips, having been aboard their stolen ship for nearly a day. Tibrin’s mostly ocean-covered surface offered few options for humanoids used to firm ground. Passing a local, she nodded to the Ishi Tib, his black orbs blinking at her from eye stalks angled up and away from his beak-like mouth and bordered by fleshy and sagging cheeks. All of the native species were rather subdued in nature, though she had read the warning in the navicomputer how they also possessed a primal, ruthless streak.
Left hand on the handle of her sheathed blade, Ilana continued across the covered porch to the front door and opened it. Within, the cooler air was very welcome.
“Good afternoon. What can I do for you,” the Sullustan proprietor greeted as he rose from behind a short desk.
“I have some things to sell that I thought you may be interested in,” she stated, continuing to the counter stuffed amid a host of local wares and trinkets cluttering the walls. Opening the pack, she pulled out the box and set it on the uniquely colored, blue-green surface. Raising the lid, she removed first the black velvet pouch and handed it to the Sullustan.
Thick fingers untied the bag and opened it, then poured out the gems into his opposite palm. “Oh, my.”
She grinned knowing Alec’s assessment was correct.
“Dare I ask how you came by these,” he asked, sitting down.
“Prospecting on Delrakkin,” she lied.
“Odd that you wouldn’t try to sell these elsewhere.”
“We were headed here anyway and I heard you had a lot of offworld contacts. We also wanted a break from the bustling crossroad systems too.”
“Can definitely understand that.” Turning right, he gingerly laid the gems on a black towel, then accessed a sensor from the cabinet along the wall behind him. Turning it on he then began evaluating the gems.
Letting him work, she casually browsed his collection. Most worth something only to the locals and himself, she soon noticed a collection of knives whose ivory handles were each shaped uniquely. Most too thick for her hand, she definitely appreciated the craftsmanship. Very closely resembling those made by her own people on Belsavis, she was now curious. “Who made these knives?”
“Beautiful, aren’t they? Two local smiths make those using thelec bone.”

Nodding, she was very tempted, casting her gaze back to the blades averaging in length from six to eight inches. “Very impressive,” she soon replied, then continued her short tour of the shop until returning to the counter. “So, what do you think?”
Glancing up to her, the alien nodded. “Beautiful collection. I can give you a hundred and fifty thousand for the lot.”
Knowing they weren’t going to get the full price for all of these, “I’ll need that in creds, rather than a transfer.”
He stared at her blankly for a long moment. “That’s a lot of money.”
“I know,” she grinned apologetically.
Sighing, his large, black orbs returned to the treasure. “I’ll see what I can do, but it’s going to take me a bit to get that for you.”
“That’s okay.”
Pouring the gems back into the pouch, he turned to the box, sensor in hand and glanced to the readout momentarily. “What’s on those?”
“Information gathered from Sector Ranger investigations on pirates and smugglers across the galaxy.” A revelation that gained his full attention.
“Hmm,” he pondered a moment, sitting back. Closing the box, he pushed it toward her. “This needs to go to the Pirate Queen on Takodana. She’ll pay you handsomely for it.”
“Okay,” Ilana mused on the name, but it didn’t ring a bell. “Thanks.” Sliding her pack around to her left, she slipped the wooden box back inside, then closed it again.

Walking away from the Erseke, gear bag over his right shoulder, Cabrin slipped the slender gold bars into his left jacket pocket. Happy with the deal, the locals that had bought it would now be on the Ranger’s radar instead.
Leaving the landing pad made of flattened coral, the pilot and rebel returned to the outdoor restaurant where the other three males waited, their table covered with local delicacies. Smells of a variety of seafoods wafting around him, Cabrin’s stomach began to grumble as he claimed a chair and sat his pack on the floor at his feet.
“So,” Alec began, dipping a succulent, meaty tail into a sauce, “How’d it go?”
“Easy. Even gave them Nyl as an added bonus,” he informed, digging in.
“No kidding,” Tularik commented, his mouth partially full. “Just like that?”
“Locals are flesh eaters,’ Jared reminded, gaining Tularik’s surprised gaze, then he scanned the patio’s other clientele, nearly all natives.
“Relax,” Alec chuckled. “These here aren’t going to pass up what’s on their platters for you. But, I’d be wary of the ones in town that haven’t eaten yet.”
Cabrin chuckled as their waitress brought a pitcher and refilled their glasses with a local beer which he then tried. Not too bad, he mused. “Any word from Ilana yet?”

“No,” Alec shook his head as all four of them ate ravenously. “But, I did pick up a comm channel while we were here waiting about another Twenty-Four Hundred that got jumped by Customs on the edge of the system. Looked like they were coming from Eriadu.”
Brow furrowed lightly, “Smugglers maybe?”
“No telling,” the dark haired copilot shrugged ashe reached for another tail from the platter sported in the center of their table. “But they weren’t interested in capturing the freighter. Blew it out of the sky.”
“Hmm.”
Jared took a long sip, then eyed Cabrin, “How do you know Nyl’s not going to get away from them?”
“I told them he had killed one of their own on Dolla a few days ago,” a comment that garnered the attention of several Ishi Tib at the table to their right.
“That’s pretty cold,” Tularik stated, the visual now obviously going through his mind of the thief’s imminent demise.
“Not our problem anymore,” Cabrin replied, having now solved the dilemma of having Nyl report their whereabouts to either the Rangers or Black Sun. “Rather be enjoying Imperial hospitality on a penal colony?”
“No, just..,” Tularik went back to eating. “You’re right,” he sighed.

Sunlight pierced a hazy sky now bathing the immense starport as Koloch led his brother toward the nearby terminal. Freighters being serviced by a host of alien and droid workers, the Weequay’s ears were full of the noises of their surroundings, the air tainted with engine exhaust and spilled fluids baked into the tarmac. A hostile environment of a totally different origin than they were used to.
~Where is the ship?~ Jadyk’s message relayed without speaking, a natural gift of his clan and people.
Taking out the handheld sensor, Koloch began searching, then slowed his pace and it didn’t require anyone familiar with their culture to see his confusion. ~ Not here, ~ he relayed. ~ It’s on Tibrin.~
Sighing, Jadyk was now agitated, ~ We came too far. ~
~ I misread Quay’s message, ~ Koloch turned to him, also aggravated. ~ We’ll have to hire another ride. ~
~ We should also notify Taarga. Maybe one of his groups are here. They can hellp us. ~
Nodding, Koloch pulled out his comlink and dialed the Hutt’s contact. They weren’t going to be robbed of their prizes for much longer, he determined.

Anxiously, Victor watched the systematic searches of each of the seven freighters from the command center. Shaking his head as Cabrin and his crew seemed very elusive, the veteran turned to the local Ranger chief. “Any word yet on the one you chased?”
Tormin turned to the analyst seated to his left as the report was now coming in. “Ship was destroyed in contact with our ships,” the grey haired officer informed. “No survivors.”
“Salvage all wreckage,” Victor stated, wanting to be thorough, though he also knew that would take time. Precious time he couldn’t afford if it wasn’t them. “I also want to notify every possible destination along their last known trajectory.”
Tormin nodded. “You got it.”
Turning, Victor walked through the large command center and headed for the turbolift cluster. I need a drink.

Money now in a large sack, Ilana laid it within her backpack and knew the added weight was going to make up for the lack of working out this morning. “Appreciate your help with this,” she grinned and turned to leave, her hazel eyes gravitating again to the knives.
“Thank you,” he moved to follow, then slowed. “You like those, I see.”
“I do,” she nodded.
“Pick out two,” the Sullustan motioned.
Ilana turned to him as she stepped closer to the wall. “How much?”
“Take two. I’ll add them to what you’ve brought me.”
Smiling, the assassin quickly chose the two that fit her hands the best and then slipped those into her pack as well. “Thank you, very much.”
“Not at all,” he smiled. Or at least she thought he did, the shape of his mouth and gill-like cheeks making it hard to tell. “Mind if I inquire as to where you come from?”
A query that sobered her mood a bit. “All over.”
He chuckled, “Well, it was nice to meet you and I’ll tell the Pirate Queen you’re on your way then. Good fortunes.”
“You as well.” Leaving his shop, Ilana descended the stair once more and pushed toward the restaurant, instinctively keeping her senses piqued. Especially with the amount of money she was carrying.
Soon, she arrived as the group was reclined in their seats, bellies full. Claiming an empty chair between Jared and Tularik, she set the pack on the floor with a heavy thunk, then sat down. “Thanks for leaving me some,” she eyed the empty platter.
“Another small one’s on the way,” Jared informed. “We didn’t forget about you.”
“The frell’d you got in there,” Tularik motioned to the backpack at her feet.
“A lot,” she replied, turning her attention to the approaching Ishi Tib female who cleared the table and then sat another small platter of various dishes and sauces down. Her chance to eat seized, Ilana wasn’t bashful.
“How much did you get,” Alec inquired.

“Hundred and fifty,” Ilana replied, enjoying the local delicacies. “Took him a while to put it together. He also said to take the rest to Takodana.”
“Contact there for the discs,” Jared asked, gaining a nod in return.
“Now just have to find a ride to Dolla and grab the Witch,” she stated, glancing to Cabrin.
“Still have four days and Rangers between us and it,” the captain reminded. “But, sure, can’t stay here the whole time.”
“No,” Alec pouted. “Was hoping to work on my tan.”
“Can do that somewhere safer,” Tularik agreed with Cabrin, eyeing a group of green skinned locals moving to an empty table and sat down. “Not that I don’t enjoy the view,” he motioned to the surrounding ocean. “But.”
Cabrin nodded and finished his beer. “Here shortly we’ll see about getting a ride.”

Maggewetok
Jan 26th, 2018, 07:15:46 AM

Reclined in the low backed chair facing the window, the lean figure whose honed body was fashioned by years of martial and combat training stared out into the city on Dolla. Right elbow perched on the arm rest, he supported his head, thumb under his strong chin while his fist rested across his mouth. Left hand draped from the opposite arm rest dangled the slender datapad, now quietly bouncing off of his left thigh as he contemplated his next move. Having been sent by Intel, the lead gained on his target had been the first in almost a year, and his superiors were eager to retire the troublesome assassin.
Quietly padding in, his assistant approached behind and to the right of the agent. “Sir,” Wylchyr interrupted. “Report from S.E.O. Salado states the Erseke never made it there. I’ve expanded our search in every direction to find them.”
Nodding quietly, Alrek DeMorga knew no one else was going to catch these Rebels. No one else had done their homework, he mused.
Turning, the agent left him once more in the natural shadow of the room. A preferred atmosphere for the Force sensitive assassin.
He knew they would return for the Witch Hunt as a matter of pride. All it took was being more patient than the prey and the predator would never starve, his father would say. A mantra that became increasingly harder to live by with the more power he gained.
Dark eyes glanced once more to his datapad as he raised it, it’s screen commanded by the native of Belsavis. Someone whose marks in sniping and stealth were extremely impressive had gained the attention of Intel who recruited the sixteen year old out of the army. From there, she excelled at infiltration and disguise, though fell behind in technological aspects. Understandable for someone who had grown up on a backwater. Problem was, she could live off of the land which was the main reason no one had been able to locate Ilana in so long. He hoped to catch her before she disappeared again. In four days time they would finally get to meet as he watched her life ebb away. Success of his mission was never in doubt, only the timing.

V

“Found us a ship,” Alec informed, standing before a local comm station. “They’re leaving pretty soon, so have to get over there if we want to go.”
“Okay,” Cabrin nodded, shouldering his pack and then motioned to the others. “Who’s the captain?”
“Name’s Madeleia,” the tall, lanky gunslinger stated. “Her and her brother have a YT Eighteen Ten.”
Walking with Alec as he led them toward the landing pad, Jared grinned. “Nobody loves the classics anymore. Thought a lot of people flew the Thirteen Hundred.”
“Only those into relics,” Alec grinned, then glanced at Cabrin. “I mean…”
Chuckling, Cabrin shook his head.
Soon, they arrived to see the equally battered vessel whose miscolored, patchy hull plating started to look familiar.
“Think you and this Madeleia are going to get along fine,” Jared smiled.
“Someone else that’s nostalgic,” Alec continued heading toward the lowered ramp. “It’s fate.”
“It’s not the Witch,” Cabrin scanned the vessel as he followed to the ramp. “But definitely seen some action.”
As the group approached, a slender figure in brown leather boots and pants descended from the vessel’s interior. Long, curly, straw colored hair bounced upon her rust colored vest, a weapon belt on her shapely hips sporting a holstered T6 Thunderer. “Hi,” she greeted.
“Hello,” Alec replied, entranced. “You’re Madeleia?”
“I am,” she eyed the group. “Getting ready to take off. Two hundred a piece.”
“Not a problem,” Cabrin replied as he swung his pack around, then opened it as Tularik and Jared approached the ramp, handing the pilot their credits, smiling at her.
Ilana followed, handing the attractive woman her passage and motioned to her counterparts. “Don’t mind them, they don’t get out much.”

Chuckling, Madeleia slipped the credit coins into a pouch. “Feel sorry for you then.” Motioning inside, “The berthing area’s to the left, just beyond the galley.”
“Thanks,” Alec nodded to her as he and Cabrin followed their hostess into her ship, payment offered. “You crew this ship alone?”
“No,” she replied, tapping the button to raise the ramp and close the interior door. “My brother’s in the cockpit now.”
“How long you had it,” Cabrin asked, his eyes scanning the interior.
“Two years. Saving up enough to eventually get something else with more cargo capacity.”
“Have a Thirteen Hundred myself,” Cabrin grinned, Alec and the others having now disappeared into their quarters. “Being fixed now on Dolla. Ran into some pirates. They got the worst of it though.”
“Of course,” she smiled, then turned toward the hallway leading to the cockpit. “Strap in.”
Watching her walk away, he smiled in admiration of the view.

Thumb and forefinger massaging the bridge of his nose, eyes closed, Victor listened to the complaints from one of the detained captains. Standing to the left of the stressed officer, Tormin was also losing his patience.
“...and your office has now made my delivery two hours late,” the human male shouted. “You know who I work for? Kuat Drive Yards.”
Rising to his feet in one fluid motion, Victor’s face glowed nearly as red as his hair. “You know who we work for? I told you you were free to go, so if you’d rather stand here and complain at officers of the I.O.C.I., then we’d be more than happy to arrest you and auction off your ship. Now get out of this office or I’ll start that paperwork right now!”
Stepping back, the cleanly shaven man swallowed hard. Sighing, he turned and left the office finally.
“Thought you were going to shoot him,” Tormin relaxed, grinning.
“Don’t tempt me,” Victor, still fuming turned and walked out of the reception area and led the local officer toward the command center. “Still no word on the Erseke?”
“Nothing yet, no.”
Victor growled, “I can’t believe this”.
“You still have surveillance on their ship?”
“Yes, but I’m starting to fear now that they may abandon it and we may not see or hear of them again until after I retire.”
“Well,” Tormin’s mood sobered. “We’ll keep looking. They’re going to surface sooner or later. These types can’t stay hidden for long.”

Nodding, Victor approached the center’s supervisor’s station and eyed the latest reports. Still nothing. Turning his attention to the large, holoimage of the galaxy sported above the projector in the center of the room. Studying the sectors and stars in soft blue glow for a long moment, “Cross reference contacts with any systems within these neighboring sectors. Maybe we’ll come up with something there.”
“Okay.”

Appearing as a large, metallic grey insect, the Lantillian Short Hauler set down on the crushed coral landing pad. After a few long moments, its central ramp lowered and soon revealed Koloch and his brother as they gazed across the undulating water to their ship parked on an adjoining pad.
“That’s it,” Jadyk stated happily, then turned and motioned to the Rodian behind followed by a squad of mercenaries loaned to them by Taarga the Hutt. The band of aliens moved toward the nearby avenue bordered by homes on stilts, also built of coral. Moving through the locals, the pair of Weequay soon turned right and walked the short land bridge to their ship.
“Let’s hope he’s still onboard,” Koloch stated as he moved to the ramp, lowered and quiet. “As well as the discs.”
“We’ll find them either way,” Jadyk assured as an Ishi Tib emerged at the top of the ramp, joined by two more.
Surprised, both groups eyed one another.
“What do you want,” the lead native asked, eyeing the aliens.
“This ship was stolen from us on Dolla,” Koloch informed. “We’ve come to reclaim our prisoner and other things onboard.”
“We bought this from a human this morning,” the green skinned owner defended. “Go away.”
Drawing weapons, the Rodian and his team fired, dropping the trio. Their bodies hitting the floor as the owning Ishi Tib fell forward and rolled down the ramp, the echo of blaster fire caused a quiet from the bustling town.
Moving upward, Koloch led his brother and their allies up into the ship, stepping over the two bodies in the entryway. Turning right, they were greeted by ten more surrounding the bloody, ripped clothing worn by Nyl.
Roars erupted as Koloch and Jadyk both drew two knives, cutting and blocking a mass of beaks and claws. Blaster fire erupted once more, the acrid smell of carbon scored flesh filling the air as one after another fell from both sides. Retreating, the mercenaries pulled their Rodian leader through the entryway, screaming as he fired frantically. Legs torn and bloodied, he noticed the pair of Weequay vanish in a mass of angry flesh eaters.
Ishi Tib fell around the few remaining mercenaries as they retreated to the pad only to be mobbed by more locals charging down the land bridge as well as up from the waterline. Two grenades exploded, tossing many natives into heaps and only making their kin more angry.

Soon, all of Taarga’s men were dead and now a main course for the victors.

“Little over a day and we’ll be on Dorlo,” Madeleia informed as she moved to the diagnostic station and sat down.
Seated on the edge of a horseshoe-shaped couch across from her, Cabrin nodded. “Sounds good.”
“Don’t mind me asking,” hazel eyes glanced to his companions as she relaxed in the high backed chair. “What brought you guys to Tibrin in the first place?”
“Cabrin’s trying to hide from an ex,” Alec offered, glancing to his fellow Rebel. “One of many, in fact.”
“And dragging all of you with him,” Madeleia suggested skeptically. “Huh.”
“Hey,” Alec’s long arms went wide. “What’re friends for?”
Cabrin shook his head, “Actually, had some local trouble on Dolla, so had to leave in a bit of a hurry.”
Madeleia’s smooth, tanned face melted from the amusement that it once held. “Been there. Hope this local trouble isn’t now looking for my ship.”
“No,” Cabrin shook his head. “Lost any links to us before we met you, so don’t worry.”
Hoping that was true, she nodded quietly. “You guys been traveling together a while I take it?”
“Yeah,” Cabrin nodded, glancing to the other three males at the small table. “Alec and I’ve known each other for a couple years. Tularik for one and Jared joined us two months ago.” He returned his attention to her. “We met Ilana just recently.”
“And still don’t know much about her,” Tularik mentioned.
Comfortable now with her guests, her gaze fell to her splayed right hand, eyeing the faded grease stains within the recesses of her nails. “Just found my brother recently,” she informed and eyed them again. “Long story.”
Cabrin’s sympathetic nod told her he also had some family issues he was dealing with as well.
“So,” she changed the subject. “How far do you need to get from your local trouble?”
“Four days,” Cabrin straightened. “My ship’s on Dolla being worked on right now.”
“And Rangers no doubt watching it,” Jared added.
Cabrin glanced to the bounty hunter and nodded. “No doubt,” he sighed. “We’ll deal with that when the time comes.”
Alec smiled. “And what a party it’ll be.”