PDA

View Full Version : TheHolonet Slack channel

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 20th, 2016, 11:23:22 AM
PM me your email address if you're interested in trying out a TheHolo.net Slack channel. It is much more versatile than AIM group chat.

Morgan Evanar
Dec 20th, 2016, 04:49:18 PM
Yes let's please let AIM die.

Droo
Dec 20th, 2016, 05:09:41 PM
My only concern is the capped message archives for free users. I paid for the premium Trillian benefits, so all my conversations are backed up for me to access and search. Considering we discuss plots, and so on, I have found this feature invaluable. It seems that, in order for me to have the same benefits on Slack, everyone in the team would be expected to pay $8 a month.

Rossos Atrapes
Dec 20th, 2016, 05:49:04 PM
I'd be down for something like this.

Maybe Flock (https://www.flock.co/), instead of Slack?

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 20th, 2016, 11:56:28 PM
Invites sent :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 20th, 2016, 11:58:04 PM
My only concern is the capped message archives for free users. I paid for the premium Trillian benefits, so all my conversations are backed up for me to access and search. Considering we discuss plots, and so on, I have found this feature invaluable. It seems that, in order for me to have the same benefits on Slack, everyone in the team would be expected to pay $8 a month.I dunno about that, tbh. Was just using it and thought: this is pretty great, maybe we should try it out.

Halajiin Rabeak
Dec 21st, 2016, 08:25:24 AM
-Deleted-

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 21st, 2016, 09:49:34 AM
Well, I wouldn't go being all depressed and upset about it, Mitch, it is just a thing, not like a Thing.

Halajiin Rabeak
Dec 21st, 2016, 10:03:43 AM
-Deleted-

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 21st, 2016, 10:03:54 AM

Flock looks good too. I just was already using Slack with another group so being able to easily switch from team to team to message in the same app is ideal for *me* but I understand that not everyone will feel the same way.

edit: Flock only supports the Chrome browser so I can't use it. And no, I'm not switching.

Kazahan
Dec 21st, 2016, 01:05:55 PM

Flock looks good too. I just was already using Slack with another group so being able to easily switch from team to team to message in the same app is ideal for *me* but I understand that not everyone will feel the same way.

edit: Flock only supports the Chrome browser so I can't use it. And no, I'm not switching.

Understandable.

Joey Rabeak
Dec 21st, 2016, 05:42:30 PM
So, I take it that it's safe to say the chat is officially moving to Slack, then?

Droo
Dec 21st, 2016, 06:40:07 PM
So, I take it that it's safe to say the chat is officially moving to Slack, then?

There's plenty I like about it, although the jury is still out for me at the moment, while I get my head around how it works. One thing I am concerned about is that, even though push notifications are switched on, the mobile app doesn't seem to want to keep me notified of new messages. So I have to keep checking in to load them up. I think a good stint of testing is required, from everyone, first, before we reach a conclusion like that.

Joey Rabeak
Dec 21st, 2016, 06:51:18 PM
I can't use it in a browser, whereas the Slack I use for another group I can. I don't want to run yet another program on my desktop at all times, so my testing is done, unless I'm doing something horribly wrong which I can't understand. For the time being, if anyone needs me I'll be on AIM.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 22nd, 2016, 09:06:14 AM
I can't use it in a browser, whereas the Slack I use for another group I can. I don't want to run yet another program on my desktop at all times, so my testing is done, unless I'm doing something horribly wrong which I can't understand. For the time being, if anyone needs me I'll be on AIM.
You should be able to run just one instance of Slack, and switch between the teams you're a part of. :shrug:

Halajiin Rabeak
Dec 22nd, 2016, 09:23:12 AM
It won't allow me to do so without the password to the TheHoloNet team. Apparently that's the same reason I have to run the TheHoloNet team in the Slack app, vs. in a browser, and why I need to re-send myself a link to my email, then use that one-time-only link each and every time I want to log into it.

I don't actually have the password to my basketball team Slack, nor have I ever had it, yet it works in a browser just fine and I access it via a standard web address without issue. Maybe something's wrong on my end, or maybe my basketball team one is set up differently behind the scenes, I dunno.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 22nd, 2016, 09:49:10 AM
Well all you have to do is ask. :) I didn't know if anyone else needed that password or not.

edit: I'm a numbhead, there is no team password. You choose your own passwords, so the one I gave you is actually my password. ;) Which I am now changing. >_>

https://get.slack.help/hc/en-us/articles/212675257-Join-a-Slack-team

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 22nd, 2016, 11:35:59 AM
Interesting. I wasn't sure about the invite you sent me, heh, and kept forgetting to ask about it. For me it won't replace Pidgin, but I'm totally willing to give it a try and see what's up with it :)

Morgan Evanar
Dec 23rd, 2016, 04:23:01 PM

What are you using that can't run Chrome?

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 27th, 2016, 03:17:11 PM
I tried Chrome once and it hogged all my resources and was slow and I didn't like it.

Ilias Nytrau
Dec 27th, 2016, 11:44:24 PM
As an alternative to Slack, I highly suggest Discord (https://discordapp.com/), as it's completely free... and has a nice, dark interface, as opposed to Slack's blinding, unchangeable white. I use it for the majority of my gaming and RP-related chatter, already. It's also definitely not a resource hog - very low impact on the CPU. I leave it on all the time on my phone, and it doesn't devour the battery like Skype does. I've had absolutely no problems with notifications between desktop/phone/what-have-you. And it's also designed for use while gaming. Neat thing, that you can also set different nicknames for yourself for each server you're in, and you can have countless servers.

It's available for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. Also, they're working on making it available for Linux!

Also, Holly - It works for browsers other than Chrome. I've thus far tested it in Firefox and Edge, but if on the off-chance you use a different browser from the three already mentioned, I don't foresee issues popping up. :)

Halajiin Rabeak
Jan 3rd, 2017, 11:35:37 AM
My Slack troubles continue. On both the desktop app and the mobile app, it refuses to accept what I know 100% to be the password I entered, and will not let me change it. Then I get stuck in infinite sign-in loops when I try to do the "magic link." It only happens for our group. I am able to use the mobile app for my basketball group without issue, and for that group I am able to connect to Slack on PC via a browser tab, not needing to run the desktop app.

So, for now, I give up on Slack for our group entirely. I've tried various solutions, none work, and I am no longer interested in trying more. Seems to work great for everyone else, just not me.

Droo
Jan 3rd, 2017, 01:45:02 PM
I know you have an account that works for the other group, but I would say, for curiosity's sake, try a temporary new account for our group. The problem lies in the password/sign-in/magic link situation, by the sounds of it.

Droo
Jan 8th, 2017, 04:48:52 PM
I'm finding myself wondering if it's worth continuing with Slack. For a start, Mitch has issues connecting to it, so by using it, we're excluding him. Secondly, people seem to be continuing to use AIM anyway (even when Mitch isn't around), which says to me there's no real attachment to the Slack chat and means it's necessary to have 2 chat clients on the go at all times. It is at the point were it seems a bit pointless. I like Slack, but does anyone honestly think we gain anything of real value by using it?

Halajiin Rabeak
Jan 8th, 2017, 09:08:03 PM
I still need my invite to the second email so I can try it again. Holly, did you get my DM?

Zereth Lancer
Jan 9th, 2017, 04:56:41 AM
I think anyone in the chat can invite others. So feel free to message me that second email and I'll get an invite sent to it.

Halajiin Rabeak
Jan 9th, 2017, 08:54:19 AM
Got an invite, and it seems to work now. Looks like Slack was having major issues with my other login for our group, despite it working flawlessly for my basketball group.

Captain Untouchable
Feb 25th, 2017, 11:53:23 PM
Been using this for a couple of days. Gotta say, it's pretty gentle on my sick-brain. The AIM chat got pretty overwhelming for me, but Slack's different channels makes it a lot more manageable, and being able to set up little notifications for character names and partial thread titles and such makes it a lot easier to keep up while AFK. The app support is pretty great too. Super impressed with this thingy deal.

Excellent techno-find, guys. :thumbup

T'yeellaa Meorrrei
Feb 26th, 2017, 12:24:55 AM
Glad you like. It's been really useful for me too. Compartmentalizing chats is a huge boon, even if it doesn't archive everything with Stasi-level ruthlessness like AIM did

Morgan Evanar
Apr 17th, 2017, 04:04:53 PM
Guys slack is mostly wonderful except for the stupid that is forced lower case names. Ya'll should come hang out if you have not.

Morgan Evanar
Feb 5th, 2018, 08:02:10 PM
Slack is a good time. Come hang out :)

Nallia Oberon
Feb 21st, 2018, 11:07:36 PM
I'm glad we finally went to a chat platform, but I am already on 8 chat platforms so I'm not in a position to add another. If we go to Discord or Groupme or something else, lemme know. Till then...

ms_trinket@yahoo.com is my email

Discord, Kik, Groupme, FB, text, ym, skype, hangout.... PM me an id and I'll be happy to hook up there <laughs>

It IS nice to know folks are still around, though <smiles>

Meli
Mobstress

Lilaena De'Ville
May 28th, 2019, 07:05:58 PM
We have started using Discord. I am not going to post a link invite but if you’re in the Slack there is one there, or I can PM you a link. :)

Dasquian Belargic
May 31st, 2019, 02:39:06 AM
If we're actively not using Slack anymore, we should unstick this?

Lilaena De'Ville
May 31st, 2019, 07:49:57 AM
Sure :)