PDA

View Full Version : Tall Tales

Casey Luna
May 10th, 2016, 10:45:49 PM
Aboard the luxury liner aptly named, Tall Tales, most of the few hundred passengers were doing something to pass the time while they were docked with Jovan Station. Some had disembarked to see the space station out of either boredom, or curiosity. Most found it to not be worth the bother, as it was merely a stop for purposes of resupplying their space faring accommodations. One young woman sat in the ships central lobby area, referred to as the courtyard, for the space that rose up above it onto the ships different levels. Sitting with her back to the view of space, rather than the bulky space station, she tapped a golden stylus against her bottom lip thoughtfully. Occasionally she used the tool to scroll through pages of notes she had taken. Her lips moved a bit as she read over the rows of prepared questions..

Do not mess this up, Luna.

Casey Luna (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/7e/1b/f4/7e1bf476d8ce2c10619649ff12164b97.jpg), local celebrity of the Core worlds HoloNet News Network's tabloid hour, knew that this was a make it or break it interview. To be fair, no one really thought she'd go far, or took her very seriously. The reason being the material she covered typically dealt with which Senator had been caught in the 'fresher with his pants around his ankles, not quite in the traditional sense. Or, who had shoved that annoying star of the reality show; Life Among the Hutt Cartel, off the scenic viewing bridge above Cloud City. These were the kind of stories that people associated with her show, but not the kind that were going to carry her into a prominent career with the HNN.

Today was different. Today she was meeting with someone important. The question 'Why her?' had crossed her mind more than once, but the answer was rather simple. It was a case of right place, right time. She had already been on the trip to the Outer Rim on another lead when HNN had contacted her that he had granted an interview, and she was the closest reporter they had..

Minister Salem Ave, of the Alliance of Free Planets would be arriving any minute..

Salem Ave
May 12th, 2016, 12:00:58 AM
It wasn't long before a voice said:

"Miss Luna?"

Behind the HoloNet News Network's most intrepid reporter, a familiar figure stood. The face of Salem Ave had not yet become ubiquitous in the Galaxy, but those who had seen the Minister of State would remember him. Tall, angular and with unsettlingly, solid-white eyes.

He was followed, as he often was now, by a four-person compliment of guards drawn from eclectic stock: Hapan, Cizerack, Mon Calamari and Onderonian. The former two women, the latter two men. Each wore a uniform unique to their people, while by contrast Salem was almost the every-man: in a dark grey suit with a white shirt, open at the collar.

He smiled, an expression that he had been honing since the beginning of his political career on Onderon.

"I hope I haven't kept you waiting too long."

Casey Luna
May 12th, 2016, 08:38:05 PM
At her name, Casey turned her head. The Minister of State had arrived, official retinue in tow. Yeah, no.. That rabble was not going to be getting in the way of the shot of her career building tête-à-tête with Minister Ave. They could stay behind the cameras, even if she had to sign her soul to some sort of clause, or waiver. It was going to be just him, her, and every civilized planet in the Galaxy, and many of the uncivil ones as well.

"Not at all." Rising with a smile, Casey wished she had been given more time to investigate Salem Ave. He was more than a little bit mysterious. What she could find on him was impeccable, of course. His career was a trail of one smart decision after another. Just like bread crumbs - but where had it all started?

A short distance away, Casey's crew were finalizing the location for the interview. Two chairs were angled toward each other, set among the greenery and waterfalls of the central courtyard of the luxury ship. Lighting had been set up, and a last sound check was being completed.

"It's my pleasure to make your acquaintance, Minister. If it's possible, could your.. people wait with the rest of the crew while I go over a few things with you before we're live?"

Salem Ave
May 13th, 2016, 02:19:20 AM
There was a discreet bustle of technical activity already going on around them. Men and women moving furniture here and there, disguising the snaking lengths of cabling and cords, tapping on and speaking into over-sized microphones.

"Of course."

With a gesture from the Minister, the four guards began to disperse throughout the courtyard, casting their well-trained eyes over the length and breadth of the room. Salem watched them for a moment; they thought they were protecting him.

He turned his attention back to the reporter.

"This will be my first appearance on the HoloNet News Network," he said, calmly.

Casey Luna
May 18th, 2016, 12:47:10 PM
Happy to have the Minister of State to herself for the moment,, Casey wasted no time in getting to business. She had a lot to do to make this go perfectly. At his comment regarding never having been on the HNN before, she looked up and gave him an indulgent, patient smile. "Exciting huh?", she looked back down to her notes.

"Alright, so the HNN gave me a list of potential questions to ask you. I read them. They were awful. People will be shutting us off and holo-channel surfing before we're close to any good material. So I've decided to turn this interview less into an interrogation for your stance on matters pertaining to the Alliance of Free Planets, and more...a candid look into your life and career. How does that sound?"

Grinning optimistically, she hoped the Minister of State liked surprises.

"Now don't panic. This is why I wanted to talk to you first. Is there anything I should know before hand that you do not wish to discuss? Or what issues are important to you that you wish to be included? This is a big deal to me too.. I want to make sure you are comfortable, and that the right version of events gets recorded."

Salem Ave
May 18th, 2016, 01:19:43 PM
Was there anything he didn't want to discuss? Salem considered the question with an affected look of contemplation. Perhaps fleeing the blaster bolts of Palpatine's purge, or how he had seduced the Queen Regent of Hapes to the Dark Side of the Force and placed his own child on the Consortium's throne.

Reclining in his chair, Salem adjusted the cuffs of his jacket. There was a great deal of his life that was not fit for public consumption and yet Salem knew he could no more avoid talking about that time in his life than he could avoid becoming a recognisable figure to the Galaxy at large. His position and office simply would not allow for complete privacy.

“I'll leave the topic of conversation in your capable hands, Miss Luna. I'm sure I can trust in your discretion,” he said, couching his words with a retiring smile.

Casey Luna
Jun 9th, 2016, 11:22:46 AM
The reporter's face turned into a very pleased grin. "Excellent! Right this way, Minister."

Inviting the diplomat to follow her, Casey led him to where the HNN crew waited, ready to roll. The unobtrusive little table between them had been set with a pitcher of cool water, and two glasses, just in case anyone got parched during the conversation. Casey wouldn't need it, she knew how to keep her cool, but it was often a measure of comfort to those in the hot seat.

"Please make yourself comfortable. We'll begin in just a moment. The last segment will finish, followed by the introduction to this Casey Luna special report, and then it's just you and me." - And the rest of the known galaxy.

A makeup artist came over, brushing a touch of powder across Casey's cheeks. Touching a dab of color to her lips. Brushing her silky blonde hair over her shoulder, just so. Through the sound equipment, she could hear the cue of her shows catchy theme music. She plastered on her trademark, slightly goofy smile and it began with lights just on her, and the silhouette of Salem Ave in shadow.

"Hello Core Worlds! Hello Galaxy! Casey Luna, here. Reporting in for the HoloNet News Network, live from Jovan Station. Tonight I have something different for you. I have the pleasure of introducing you to my new friend, Salem Ave, Minister of State for the Alliance of Free Planets."

The lights finally brightened upon the Minister, drawing him into the colorful light and chaos that was Casey's show. What he might not be aware of were the enhancements made to the interview as it aired. One of Casey's team sat creatively drawing hearts around her head as she introduced the Arkanian, as though she had some kind of serious crush on him. The sound file played across the galaxy with an 'Ooooooo!' of interest, and a few wolf whistles from an imaginary audience.

"Minister Ave", she smiled turning toward her guest. "Say hello to... well, everyone."

Salem Ave
Jun 9th, 2016, 11:32:53 AM
In the long moment that he was merely a shadow, the clawed tips of Salem's fingers pressed ever so slightly too firmly against the arm of his chair. His pulse flickered in his throat. In a matter of seconds, his face would be beamed into the homes and businesses of millions. For an instant in his mind, he was somewhere else (http://theholo.net/forum/showthread.php?55383-Abandonment-10-045&p=1026137&viewfull=1#post1026137).

When the lights came up, the Minister's expression was one of mild amusement. A small smile.

"Good evening."

Casey Luna
Jul 5th, 2016, 04:24:59 PM
There it was, the trademark completely crooked grin that had landed Casey Luna the spot on the tabloid hour to begin with. It was currently illuminated on several holo-billboards around the galaxy and the feature paint job of more than a few public transports, courtesy of the HNN. She turned it now upon the Minister of State like she found him both attractive and yet utterly dorky at the same time.

"So, Minister Ave. Tell our viewers at home, just exactly what does the Minister of State do for them?"

Salem Ave
Jul 21st, 2016, 10:46:18 AM
Now, there wasn't the topic of riveting viewing. The practicalities of the ministerial role were complex. Salem opted for the Mrlssi-sized description, delivered with a smile that was almost apologetic.

“I'm part of the Alliance Council – a group of Senators who provide advice to Mon Razien, the Chief of State. I spend a lot of time in discussion with politicians within the Alliance – and outside of it too.”

Casey Luna
Aug 1st, 2016, 01:33:25 PM
Had this been her normal show, it would have been standard practice to employ the chirping of rootjiggers just then, to accompany the sleepy turn of conversation.

"Well, I'm sure that it must be an honor to be chosen for such a responsibility. How does a person get chosen for such a job? I mean... what are your qualifications exactly, Minister? What did you do before all these discussions with politicians in the Senate?"

Casey actually leaned in closer, as if the answer was one of galactic importance..

Salem Ave
Oct 19th, 2017, 03:35:28 PM
“Well,” Salem said and although he allowed himself an easy smile, he felt the weight of the pause that accompanied it. I betrayed and abandoned my allies. I murdered monarchs. I swore oaths of blood and shadow, and turned innocent hearts to darkness. The shadows of his past were long and dark and as thrilling as the views of HNN might find them, now was not the time to cast light upon them.

“I spent a number of years advising the Queen of Onderon. Queen Adraudia was gracious enough to allow me to lead diplomatic talks between the Onderonian throne and the Hapes Consortium. I have been fortunate enough to broker alliances of peace and prosperity between a good number of worlds, and for that, the Alliance has deemed me qualified to do the same on it's behalf.”

Casey Luna
Oct 24th, 2017, 12:37:54 PM
At the mention on Onderon, Casey's already sunny smile grew in intensity becoming dangerously bright. Now fully believing herself the aggressor in some political cat and mouse game with Salem Ave, she pounced upon the opportunity to poke around in that time of his carreer. Having taken some notes on some very interesting talking points. Such as..

"I believe we have some visuals from your time on Onderon.", she smiled, perhaps too sweetly. A ditz Casey may arguably be, but one that did her homework.

Holographic visuals began to accompany the reporter as she proceeded to drag Salem's personal life into the light of day - and speculation.

Salem Ave
Oct 24th, 2017, 01:26:11 PM
The hologram captured a moment from the past, frozen in pale, almost ghostly shades of blue. Specifically, it was an image of a couple enjoying a meal together (https://theholo.net/forum/showthread.php?15505-The-Line-Begins-to-Blur), captured apparently unaware, in a moment of intimacy. He was refilling their wineglasses, while she watched him, a smile of genuine pleasure curling her lips.

"Razielle Alastor, or Shadana as she was then."

Salem met Casey's expectant gaze.

"We've worked closely together for many years now. She is... a remarkable woman."

Casey Luna
Oct 26th, 2017, 09:15:32 AM
"Yes, so it would seem.", Casey responded with a slightly less goofy approach, now that the conversation was on the borders of her specialty - scandal.

"And now the former Princess of Onderon rules the mysterious Hapes Consortium. Part of your diplomatic talks on behalf of Queen Basilie?

Casey always knew when there was more to a story, and something about this entire thing demanded she keep digging until she hit pay dirt.

Salem Ave
Oct 26th, 2017, 09:45:31 AM
"Indeed. Queen Adraudia felt Onderon would benefit from an alliance with a like-minded monarchy," Salem said, speaking with the calm manner of a man stating known and harmless facts.

The story of how the two matriarchies had come to be intertwined with one another was no secret, nor was his part in it. Still, Salem could see there was a glint in Casey Luna's eyes now, something almost predatory as she listened, waiting for him to reveal... something salacious, although what exactly that was, he could not say.

"Diplomatic arrangements can take many forms. The Consortium proposed that we complete the alliance by marrying Adraudia's ward - Princess Shadana - to the Crown Prince of Hapes, Tristan Alastor."

Salem could still recall, quite clearly, the face and voice of Ishara Alastor. The marriage had not been a proposal, but a proclamation made by Ishara (https://theholo.net/forum/showthread.php?17365-The-Festival-of-Four-Moons&p=259955&viewfull=1#post259955) without the prior knowledge or consent of anyone else involved. At the time, he had seethed at Ishara's audacity. Now, the memory of her face inspired only cold satisfaction.

"The late Queen Mother wanted to make a... marriage of not only planets but also hearts," Salem went on, smiling tightly. "Those were her words. Both she and Queen Adraudia wanted the connection between their two peoples to be more than a simple political partnership."

Casey Luna
Nov 18th, 2017, 08:42:10 AM
"Well, my goodness!" Casey exclaimed, fanning her cheeks.

"It's just like a fairy tale come to life then! Wouldn't you say?" The question was posed, not to Salem Ave, but to Casey's viewers across the stars. "Beautiful princess bound in marriage to - I presume as he is Hapan - handsome prince, uniting hearts and distant borders. Yes, it's all very fanciful sounding."

"Do we have a likeness of Prince Tristan....? Oh yes. Ooh, yes. As I said, Hapan.", Casey grinned appreciatively as the image of the Hapan Crown Prince was shown to all far flung corners of the galaxy.

"I'm being told this is somewhat of an older image of Prince Tristan. We don't seem to have anything current, I'm afraid. Is there trouble in paradise?", her questions focused back on her guest now.

Salem Ave
Nov 18th, 2017, 09:27:50 AM
The image of Tristan Alastor flickered between them, freezing in time a moment not long after the Crown Prince had arrived on Onderon. He stood outside what appeared to be a stable, staring wide-eyed and earnest at the creatures within (https://theholo.net/forum/showthread.php?18079-Our-Future-Imperfect&p=270544&viewfull=1#post270544). Salem watched the image for a few seconds before answering.

"I believe the Crown Prince took a hunting part to Dxun and has... yet to return," Salem paused, letting the implications of his words settle for a moment. Tristan Alastor is dead. At least, dead as far as the Galaxy at large was concerned.

If there was any doubt in the viewers minds, he went on. "The Onderonian people call Dxun the Demon Moon. It is a dangerous place, even for a seasoned hunter."

Then, as if just recalling the fact, he added, "I believe the Princess Elaine - Tristan's elder sister, who serves alongside me in the Alliance Senate - intends to mount an investigation into his whereabouts."