PDA

View Full Version : A Captain's Reward

Rez Ace
Apr 25th, 2016, 09:42:17 AM
Coruscant

Rez Ace was used to being over looked at this point of his life. He had served in the Imperial Navy as a captain since the Empire was first organized, and had even served in the Republic shortly before. He had rose through the ranks up to Rear Admiral and enjoyed his time with his task force that he was given.

Rez was walking through the Empire's main government building on Coruscant, heading towards the room where he would be meeting his new superior officer, the Director of Imperial Intelligence herself. He had recently been promoted to Admiral and been given command of the newly formed Imperial Intelligence fleet. He had been on a temporary assignment as reserve reinforcements, where he conducted several major modifications to his fleet, when he was called to return for a new assignment. He was very curious to what it could be. He was also nervous that he would be in trouble for conducting the modifications he did without informing her first.

Rez turned the corner where his destination waited patiently for him. Putting aside his nervousness, and regaining his stature, he walked up to the door and...before he could knock the door slide open.

R. S. Esalis
Apr 25th, 2016, 11:11:43 PM
The sprawling complex that served as the headquarters for Imperial Intelligence was enmeshed in the landscape of buildings that covered Coruscant. It rose just as high as it was sunk below, and like controlling tendrils it spread outward on so many levels of the city world that was the crowning jewel of the Empire. The seat of Imperial power held so many things, and the vast warren of Intel agents helped to keep the Empress as informed as possible on the goings on in her far reaching kingdom. And at the head of that warren, R. S. Esalis sat. She oversaw a great many things, her hand in many matters almost invisible yet known.

And high above the bustling traffic and skyways, high above many of the already towering buildings, the bastion of Imperial Intelligence rose like an everwatching eye.

In her office, overlooking much of the world below, Director Esalis busied herself with the almost routine tasks of filing those reports given to her secretary the evening before. It was all much the same. It was all quiet.

And yet, as is the way of all things, the peacefulness of her mid-morning was not to last.

Even as the door to her office slid open, she did not look up. Instead, she remained casually thumbing through a datapad, comfortably ensconced behind her desk; a massive thing that shone with a black glossiness.

A few moments passed as her guest remained in the threshold. Another few moments passed before she finally spoke.

"It would be best if you stepped inside, Admiral."

Rez Ace
Apr 27th, 2016, 02:53:31 PM
"Thank you mistress." The admiral replied. He stepped inside and the door slid shut behind him. Looking around slowly, Rez views the content of the room. It, like most buildings in Coruscant's upper level, was very ornate. Behind the very large black desk in the middle of the room was a large window looking out to the beautiful city. Fancy paintings and other decor covered the room.

Rez stepped forward and stood in front of the desk at which R. S. Esalis sat. A chair sat to the side, but he ignored it, as he wanted to look formal. Several large stacks of organized paperwork layed on the black desk, which she was working on.

Rez stood for several moments before breaking the silence. "Well I assume you've called me here for something important, mistress." He cleared his throat before continuing "I'm ready to perform whatever you assign me."

R. S. Esalis
Apr 28th, 2016, 12:41:20 PM
He was to the point, and while the Director could appreciate the trait, she was not about to completely abandon decorum. She gestured to one of the chairs in front of her desk.

"Sit, please."

Yes, she had called him here for a reason. And while his service records were easily enough attainable (and had already been gone through), she wanted to get a feel for the man, face to face.

"I trust that you are finding your promotion agreeable?"

Rez Ace
Apr 28th, 2016, 06:58:27 PM
"Very much so. I'm honored. I would also like to thank you for the new flagship. I'm a little more...familiar with it." Rez said simply. He rubbed his scruffy chin in thought.

"I have to admit though, I was quite curious to why I was given command of a fleet that is combat oriented, but specializes in Intelligence."

He moved his hand from his chin and looked at the director with curiosity. "I'm also curious of why you chose me to lead this fleet."

Among all that has happened to Rez, he would have never expected to be promoted to Admiral. He had served so long without promotion that he thought it would look bad on his records. He had a very distinct command style, one of which was more efficient than most. But because it was not close to standard, he was overlooked constantly.

R. S. Esalis
May 1st, 2016, 12:51:02 PM
"Well."

The word was spoken with a tone that was calm, and she leaned back in her seat.

"With the treaty signed by ourselves and the Alliance, it seemed a prudent course of action. These times we are in now are delicate, and having a fleet that is able to shift from one role to the other is now a necessity."

A cryptic half-smile.

"Don't you agree?"

Rez Ace
May 1st, 2016, 06:50:02 PM
"Thats understandable."

Rez said each word very preciously, and chose each word carefully.

"But I have to ask one last question before we continue, how did my files end up being the ones chosen for this promotion? I mean, surely there were other Admiral's files who's credentials looked more suitable than mine, and were more easily accessible."

Rez's expression had remained quite he same since he arrived, almost emotionless. But his mind was racing. He wanted to be sure he had this whole ordeal completely.

R. S. Esalis
May 8th, 2016, 06:38:45 PM
"A man does not get experience by not going forward. He does not become a better officer by stagnating in the same role for countless years. If I don't take action in this matter, then when those who are already in those lofty positions will be irreplaceable when they finally die. We must always have men and women always climbing the ladder so that the Empire as a whole does not crumble from a sudden loss of talent."

She gave a slight smile.

"It is a long game that we play, and it is imperative that we keep ourselves well stocked with those that are necessary to win."

Rez Ace
May 9th, 2016, 02:20:43 PM
Rez sat back in his chair.

'Very well.' He said satisfied.

'Alright, so what is it you called me here for?' Rez asked seriously, getting back to business. The focus in his eyes increased as he was ready to listen very carefully to his orders.

R. S. Esalis
May 15th, 2016, 09:26:17 PM
Pleased that he was so willing to forge ahead, the Director let her elbows rest on the arms of her chair, fingers coming together to form a partial steeple.

"Tell me, how do you feel about Corellia?"

Rez Ace
May 16th, 2016, 08:35:31 AM
Rez heard the question and thought about his answer carefully. He looked up and began speaking

"Corellia is a very important planet to the Empire. It has essential trade routes that pass through it, and has amazing manufacturing systems."

He had studied Corellia and knew of it's vast technologically advanced metropolis, despite being much lesser compared to Coruscant, and that most trade routes were connected through Corellia. It was an important planet to the Empire and we could not afford to loose it.

'I understand that there is a mass revolt on the planet. I'm not sure the reason for it though.'

R. S. Esalis
May 19th, 2016, 12:13:42 PM
She gave a nod, shifting her attentions to the side as her hand reached out, pulling close a particular datapad.

"I think to call the events on Corellia a revolt would be giving the perpetrators too much credit."

Spoken with a condescending tone, the Director thumbed through the 'pad's contents.

"I think what we have here is a healthy dose of disgruntled attitudes to the treaty that we all now... 'enjoy'."

Pausing, she pursed her lips momentarily before slowly leaning forward and handing the 'pad to him.

"But, things are moving in the right direction regardless of the pockets of resistance, Whether some feel abandoned by the Rebellion or not, I care little. What I do care about is that order is maintained."

Rez Ace
May 24th, 2016, 02:36:57 PM
Rez agreed silently. He took the pad and looked through it's contents.

'I understand. This resistance isn't as disgusting as the Rebel Alliance that Lord Vader dealt with, as it was opposing our great empire, while these people oppose the treaty'

Pausing from his reading, he looked up and breathed deeply. He knew what he was being assigned now.

'So I assume you will be assigning me to transfer my fleet the the Correlian Sector, yes?' He thought quickly about this assignment and continued quickly 'If so, I would like to choose a few of my officers and intel agents that I think would be suitable for this task, if its alright with you of course.'

R. S. Esalis
May 26th, 2016, 11:11:00 AM
R. S. Esalis gave a cheshire cat's smile, inclining her head ever so slightly.

"If that is what you wish, then I'll not impede you."

It would be foolhardy to hobble the man with pre-selected underlings, and the Director was determined to make sure he had the most capable individuals at his beck and call. No doubt he already had a few names in mind, and due to his service she trusted his decisions. Only so far, though. One did not become Director of Imperial Intelligence without a healthy dose of underlying suspicion in all things.

"However, I expect to have their dossiers on my desk before you depart for Corellia, Admiral."

Rez Ace
May 26th, 2016, 03:59:50 PM
Rez gave a hint of a smile, the first bit of emotion he showed through the conversation.

'Of course, mistress. These few people I have in mind are more than capable to perform in the positions I have in mind.'

He was quite happy that he would be able to appoint his captains and other ranking officers. It would make his job a lot easier, and would increase the ability of the fleet itself. Rez leaned forward slightly.

'So, is there anything else? When would you like me to depart for Corellia?'