PDA

View Full Version : Captain Coruscant and the Four-Armed Menace

Kes Akiena
Feb 5th, 2016, 01:01:50 AM
His normal duties were nearly done for the day. Ordering the mess of supplies for Chief Rabeak, going over shipments with the work crews, tamping down the normal fare of fires and scuffles that invariably sprang to life on a station like Jovan. It had become normalcy to mediate and push down ruffled feathers (sometimes literally). It wasn't a bad existence, and in fact he was more than grateful that he was here, now, rather than some detention facility on Dac or Bothawui. Sometimes he wondered what hand of fate had dealt him his 'get of of jail free' card, but it never went beyond idle musing. He knew better than to look gift banthas in the mouth.

Though, some days he did wonder if this was the Alliance's version of punishment. He'd certainly not reached the true limits of his patience, but there had been times when that line had so very nearly been reached.

And the attack... that was something else entirely. Staring at a datapad, Kes let his eyes partially glaze over at that whole horrid mess. Those terrible letters he'd had to write...

A thumb ticked the deactivation button, and the 'pad shut itself off as he let it fall to his desk. Leaning back, the redhead brought his hand up to swipe down the length of his face.

His long day had gracefully ended, though... was it really over and done with?

There was always something else. Always one last thing that more often than not presented itself.

Slowly he rose from his seat, fingers moving to the neckline of his uniform to undo the top clasp, followed by the second, third, and fourth. That task done, Kes trekked the short distance to his office door. It opened with a slight hiss, and he made his exit from the command deck with as much quietness that he had arrived that morning.

He wanted a drink, and the latest issues of Captain Coruscant had been delivered to his quarters (along with a fresh bottle of Ithorian scotch). As he stepped into the lift, he could already taste his drink.

His journey to the officer's deck was made in relative silence, and stepping out into the corridor that would lead him to his quarters, Kes finished the job of undoing the rest of his duty jacket's buttons, making short work of shirking the article of clothing before draping it over his shoulder.

Rounding the last bend, a figure caught his eye. A rather familiar one, at that. She was at his door, and with an internal groan, he realized what that 'one last thing was'. He'd forgotten completely the meeting that he'd agreed to have with her, and briefly chiding himself, the redhead gave Mayael Rakkamar a smile as he closed the distance between them.

"Ms. Rakkamar," he briefly toyed with the notion of pulling his jacket back on, but opted against that. He'd only just gotten it off, after all.

Mayael Rakkamar
Feb 6th, 2016, 09:13:36 PM
"Commandeer allo. Alvays the pleasure." Were the first words that came out of her mouth as she turned to greet the redheaded officer. One upper hand raised in a brief wave of greeting, while the two lower ones stayed at her sides, and the last one tried once again to smooth out her clothes. Which did nothing for the mess she was wearing, and hadn't done anything the last dozen times she tried it both on the way to Kes' door and while standing in front of it before his arrival. It was very clear that her clothes had been heavily modified to fit her tall, lanky body and four arms. The tunic in particular had been grafted from two separate tunics, which completely ruined the lines and colors that it's manufacturer had specifically chosen to create an appealing and soothing appearance. The words "Zultan Spa" were embroidered over the breast.

The Zultan was just the latest in a stint of actual legitimate jobs she had bluffed her way into. The manager had assumed that her four arms would make her a wonderful masseuse, but it was becoming incredibly apparent that she had no idea what she was doing. She gave herself a week before she was fired from there. It was okay though, she still had a job working at the Shatterstar behind the bar, and the wonderful owner allowed her to work in the back when she needed the extra credits. That was by far the easiest of the jobs she had held on Jovan, but it felt lazy and it didn't engage her intellectually. Still, it had her perks. She had met some wonderful people and had many good times. Still, it felt like she was throwing away this wonderful chance that Kes had given her if she didn't do something meaningful with her life. It was very much a departure from her standard method of living, which involved just going through the motions until you blunder into something.

Being called to see the Commander had made her a nervous wreck all day. What could he possibly want? Hopefully it wasn't to throw her back in prison. She'd been good. Mostly. Some old habits die hard, but she was doing her very very best to be on her best behavior and integrate with the populace of Jovan Station. Still, there had to be some circumstance that had arisen to call this meeting. Oh damn the force, she would have been terrified if she didn't enjoy the Commander's presence so much. There was just something about his stern expression and calm voice that said everything was going to be alright.

Kes Akiena
Feb 6th, 2016, 09:53:19 PM
His smile didn't leave as he closed the distance between them.

"I hope so."

His voice seemed a tone lighter than normal, the usual gravel it held just a little bit less.

He'd kept tabs on her since her release, making sure that she'd not relapse into a life that was less than legitimate; the woman truly had so much potential, and how she viewed everything around her with such honesty and wonder was a breath of fresh air. In the few interactions that the two had had, she'd never ceased to amaze him with her curiosity and earnest words. She was a rare individual, and Kes would've hated to see her relegated to some detention block for most of her life. He had been informed every time she switched jobs, and that she had a position at the Shatterstar wasn't exactly bad, but he did have to wonder, at times.

Slowing to a stop, the redhead gave her a respectful nod.

Clasping his hands together, Kes met her eyes, his own expression ever curious.

"I'd hate to be a bother; I'm not pulling you away from anything pressing, I hope?"

Mayael Rakkamar
Feb 6th, 2016, 10:08:55 PM
"Nothink Commandeer. Vork is complete." And if not for this meeting she would have most likely spent her night at home in the cubicle she called an apartment. She spent many a night tinkering on odds and ends on the floor while the Holonet played in the background. It was always some sort of documentary or educational programming. Occasionally a holodrama, but only when she was paying attention to it. Otherwise there was no chance in hell that she would be able to follow all the plot lines; what with all the secret offspring, murder mysteries, rivalries, and speciesial tensions. Minutes of our Existence was not a hobby. It was a lifestyle.

"Are you vell?"

Kes Akiena
Feb 7th, 2016, 11:32:18 AM
"I'm managing," he couldn't help the slight grin that showed itself while turning slightly, one hand going to palm the hand-scanner that would allow him entry into his quarters.

The door whisshed up, and Kes half-turned back to Ms. Rakkamar. He gave a genteel partial bow, one arm smoothly gesturing to the open doorway.

"Ladies first."

Mayael Rakkamar
Feb 7th, 2016, 11:38:05 PM
"Thank you." She replied with a smile, tucking a strand of hair that had escaped her ponytail back behind an ear with one of her four hands and then heading into the quarters ahead of the human. If it was anyone other than Mayael they would have thought it strange that they were being invited over to Commander's personal quarters instead of something more public, but this was Mayael and the customs of the regular populace of the galaxy went right over her head and she only saw a meeting with a man she greatly respected. She lived her life without looking too hard at what was happening and instead enjoying the moment as it arrived.

"I expected much bigger, with metals and awards on wall." She said absently as she walked inside, her eyes wide as saucers as she looked around the Commander's unit. And like always, her thoughts spilled out her mouth without a filter. She did, however, realize that she was talking quite loudly and looked around to make sure she was not bothering anyone. "You live alone, Commander?"

Kes Akiena
Feb 8th, 2016, 12:10:09 AM
"I do," he conceded with a nod as the door closed behind them. A hand moved to a console table, plucking up the slim package waiting for him. There was another, but he left it alone for the time being. A cursory glance to the sender's address confirmed what he already strongly suspected, and moving to the small kitchenette, Kes lightly tossed it to the counter. A second later his uniform jacket was draped over the top of that, and he idly undid the cuffs of his white button-up undershirt.

"It's not much I admit; I don't have any trophies or awards or medals that I'd feel warranted being put on display. Not worth the effort, really."

Oh, he had them to be sure. Certainly not to the extent of some others, but he did have his own 'collection'. They were mostly kept in a trunk, safely pushed out of sight at the bottom of his closet.

Whatever other interests he held were on sparse display; a few framed pictures of some abstract art, a small smattering of odds and ends littering the tops of the caf table and end-tables. Nothing too showy. His interests seemed to be centered on the books that filled the bookcases lining at least one wall. Books on architecture, design, and of course the normal bit of speculative fiction. It was self-serving in a way, and allowed his mind an escape from the realities of the galaxy. It was a small, shameless pleasure that he happily indulged in.

"I'm afraid my interests aren't as... exciting... as some might expect."

It wasn't said out of defense or any sort of malice. It was just the facts as he saw them.

"But you," he pulled down two glasses from an upper cabinet before retrieving a jug of Kassoberry juice from the cooler unit.

"You seem to have enough interests for the both of us."

He poured equal portions into each glass, replaced the lid, and returned the jug to the chiller. Picking up one of the glasses, he held it out for her.

"You've been skipping around from business to business, I've noticed."

Mayael Rakkamar
Feb 8th, 2016, 12:40:38 AM
Her happy expression faded as she took the glass and stared down into it between her hands. She felt ashamed, like a failure. Kes knew that she was struggling, and that was the worst outcome in her little world. She fought to find the right words. Basic did not come naturally. She could express how she really felt so easily in her native tongue. The barks and whines would be lost on anyone but her own kind. She couldn't even look up at him, afraid of what she would find in his eyes. She had never cared so much about someone else's opinion in her entire life. Even Grov, a man who could kill her on a whim, was only background noise to her.

"I've been tryink. Do not have many skills. Take what can get. Many jobs beyond me or... or borink. Workink at Shatterstar. Good credits, but not, how you say... stimulating."

Kes Akiena
Feb 8th, 2016, 12:50:57 AM
"Well," he tried to salvage the feelings he could see from her non-look. It made him suddenly self-conscious in its' own way, as if he'd spoken the absolute wrong words.

"Well, You've kept your position at the Shatterstar, which is good."

It was a piss-poor consolation, and he knew it.

"It's good."

As if to wash away his sad excuse for an affirmation and reassurance, he lifted his own glass, taking a sip.

"And I know you've been trying," now came the small revelation on his part, "... I've been keeping watch on your activities."

Her words about not having many skills was - to him - a silly thing to say. She was gifted in so many ways that others were not; including himself. He angled his head a small bit to try and catch her downcast eyes.

"You've got skills, Mayael," it was the first time that he'd ever addressed her by her first name.

"And I think you know it."

Mayael Rakkamar
Feb 9th, 2016, 01:36:18 AM
"I do, but I have no... no papers. Everyone want papers. Records locked away on Monto Codru." Her hands tightened around her glass, the frustration evident on her voice. It doesn't matter. This is what drove her to piracy in the first place. She shouldn't put her expertise and passion to work without her diploma and other records to prove that she had the necessary education, and being banished from her homeworld meant she could never get those records. They would never release them to her and definitely not to any foreigners. Her people were so pigheaded and xenophobic. Set in their old ways. Tradition had never done anything for her, and the one time she tried to follow the cultural norms it blew up in her face when that kidnapping went south. Damn her family.

"Sorry." She apologized as she composed herself and finally took a sip from her glass, even if just to cover up her embarrassment on her face for such an outburst. She didn't mean to get so emotional in front of the Commander. It made her feel weak. There had never been room for emotions in Grov's crew. You learned to just push it up inside and try to forget about it. She'd have a good cry when she got back to her quarters and was alone, but not in front of the Commander. Anyone but him.

Kes Akiena
Feb 9th, 2016, 01:46:37 AM
He waved away her admission of 'no papers'. He could work around that. The only thing he needed from her was a willingness to go forward.

"Whatever credentials you have, even if they're shut away, I can deal with that. We don't need anything from the past to go forward."

Another drink of his juice, and Kes set the glass on the countertop before leveling a serious gaze to her.

"Have you thought about signing on with the Alliance?"

An earnest question, and one that he felt needed to be asked as directly as possible. She was singularly talented, and he would be lying if he said he couldn't use a person with her particular skillset aboard Jovan.

Mayael Rakkamar
Feb 10th, 2016, 02:48:48 AM
"Thought about it after leavink Grov, but without papers never imagine could do so. Don't think Alliance want someone like me. Nobody likes pirates."

It was mostly true. On more than one occasion she had thought about joining the Alliance. Dreamed, was probably the better term because she knew she could never actually join them. With her criminal record, lack of academic records, no official forms like proper identification, certification of birth, and the rest of the gamut she had a hard enough time just getting normal jobs let alone one in one of the two strongest governments in the galaxy. She had equally considered the Empire but their xenophobic mindset reminded her too much of her own people.

She sipped from her glass again, letting the flavors wash over her tongue, and imagining how much better it might be with some alcohol mixed in and a colorful umbrella to brighten it up.

Kes Akiena
Feb 11th, 2016, 12:26:22 AM
He gave the tiniest of smiles at that.

"Time was, the Alliance used to be pretty much pirates themselves, you know."

Stepping to the side, he passed by her and led the way from the kitchenette into the living area, gesturing for her to follow. A quick pivot, and he lowered himself to sit in one of the leather-backed chairs while offering her the sofa.

"Back in the old days, we stole ships, stole weapons, stole medicines... we stole everything we could get our hands on. From the Empire of course, but that's splitting hairs. Sometimes we had sympathizers give us supplies, but it wasn't often."

He took another drink.

"We weren't picky, since we couldn't afford to be. We lived hand to mouth, and had to make do with whatever we could scrounge up. And things like this - " he lifted his glass of juice, "- was a luxury."

Kes leaned back as he let his memories take him back, his eyes focusing on a spot on the far wall behind Mayael.

"Back then I was lucky to snag a cot. Usually the commandos got to them before I did."

Mayael Rakkamar
Feb 13th, 2016, 12:46:15 AM
"Pirate in action, perhaps, but not in motive." Mayael said as she got comfortable on the sofa. Her upper arms splayed across the back and arm and her lower arms rested on her lap holding her glass. "Grov's pirates hardly noble. Thugs. Killers. Take what want, not what need. I would have liked to have been part of your rebellion. To fight for something you believe in. Not just survival."

It was something she had dreamed about constantly. Not the rebellion, or any faction in the universe specifically, but just having something to belong to. She thought she had found that at last with Grov, but helping Kes and the Alliance had shown her just what she had aligned herself with; a band of ruthless murderers who disguised greed as survival. While she felt that she had done the right thing, morally at least, it did leave her feeling empty and lost again without a sense of belonging. Grov's Reavers are many horrible things, but they had also been a family. Now she was back to being alone with only herself to count on. And Kes, she had to admit. He had been an anchor and was the only reason she had stuck around on Jovan at all.

But she had no time to feel sorry for herself, because she was enraptured with his description of piracy with the Rebellion. "Did you fight any of the great battles?"

Kes Akiena
Feb 13th, 2016, 01:32:23 AM
"A few."

He gave a nod, once more setting his eyes to her.

"I wasn't on Yavin 4 when the first Death Star made its' appearance, but I was aboard Home One during the Battle of Endor."

Still he smiled, though there was a small tightening at the skin around his eyes as he remembered.

"It was bittersweet."

He sipped, then leaned forward to set his glass on the caf table.

"I mostly stay on the back-end of things, honestly. I'm not the best when it comes to front-line duties. I make things work from the administrative side, and I'm good at it. I may've participated in my fair share of action, but I'm not afraid to admit that my best work is done on the quieter side of things."

But, talk of the old life wasn't the only reason he'd asked to meet with Ms. Rakkamar, and the redhead pushed on to other topics.

"That being said, if I offered you a chance to join the Alliance, would you take it?"

Mayael Rakkamar
Feb 13th, 2016, 02:36:15 AM
Mayael listened intently, her eyes unblinking as she watched Kes as he spoke. His body movements, his mannerisms. Everything about him was as fascinating as the story he was telling. She watched over the top of her glass. Then he came to a close, admitting that he preferred the quiet life of an office worker to that of a battlefield commander. She nodded her head in agreement. She understood there was more to war than putting lasers through the bodies of some other guy, but she would lying if she had not expected to hear a story about standing against the tide of enemy troops with a torn uniform and a half empty blaster in one hand, a bloodied knife in the other, as Kes fought the good fight. Perhaps it made him a better man knowing that he knew the taste of war, the accolades and reputation that comes with, and still chose something simpler.

She drank from her glass at last, finally able to break her concentration as his story had come to an end. It turned out to be a mistake, because he continued talking and his words caught her woefully off guard. She almost spat the liquid all over the caf table between them but managed to clamp a hand over her mouth and swallow painfully. Really? An opportunity to join the Alliance? It was unlike anything she could have expected from this encounter. However, it almost felt too good to be true, and she was already looking out for the rug that would be pulled out from under her.

"Commandeer serious, or is this joke?" A wellspring was bubbling inside her. She felt like she might burst, but her apprehension held back the floodgates.

Kes Akiena
Feb 13th, 2016, 02:47:41 AM
His gaze was steady, even in the face of her reaction. In any other situation he would've given her a smile, but right now, in this moment, the gravity of his offer weighed any light-heartedness down.

"I'm very serious, Ms. Rakkamar."

His features fell into a stern expression as he leaned forward, elbows coming to rest on his knees.

"The opportunity is possible, make no mistake. But," one finger went up, "I would need you to be committed. If you honestly want to join, then I can make that happen."

He hesitated only slightly, then finished.

"I'd like for you to consider it, at the very least."

Mayael Rakkamar
Feb 14th, 2016, 12:33:47 AM
And all her defenses came crashing down. It was a flood of emotion. Not just joy and excitement, but also relief. Like a great weight had been lifted off her shoulders. She didn't know if she should cry or scream. She could feel her eyes welling up, face getting puffy. She quickly brought a pair of hands up to smooth out the corners of her eyes and replace the tears with a smile. "Thank you." She choked out in a voice that failed her. Clearing her throat, she tried again. "I do not need to consider. Yes. Yes I will join the Alliance. I will try my very best. Do whatever I need to do. Anythink. Oh Vorshka thank you."

She raised her glass to drown her bubbling in the juice. She didn't know what else to say, or what the social expectation was. Among her own people there would have been a physical connection; hugging and handshaking, but she had discovered that the people out here didn't like to touch each other in such a way. Almost like they were afraid of intimacy with anyone except their spouse or partners. She was tempted to step across the room and give Kes a big hug, but not now, especially as he would be her superior officer. Still, she felt she owed him something in return. She would have to find a suitable gift.

Kes Akiena
Feb 14th, 2016, 12:44:55 AM
Her immediate response was not exactly expected, but in a way it wasn't unexpected either. The relief in her eyes, the hope that that burst forth...

It was comforting in its' own right, and Kes couldn't hold back the smile that overtook him. He felt younger in that moment, like his old self born again. The expectation of Mayael's face gave him hope in and of itself, and the redhead felt a certain ease that only existed in doing the right thing. But it was more than that, wasn't it?

The redhead buried that thought deep, on hand coming up to wave away her thanks. And yet, he was more than aware that he was that front line. That initial barrier to others who wished to side with the Alliance. And to that end, Kes was the consummate gentleman.

And even despite the professional bent, he couldn't help the slight tilt of his head, the slight upward lilt of his voice. Mayael Rakkamar's enthusiasm was infectious; as much so as she was enticing and to a degree desired.

"I can swear you in now, if you wish."

Mayael Rakkamar
Feb 14th, 2016, 12:59:36 AM
She managed to lean even further forward in her seat. "Oh yes, yes please." She exclaimed wildly, and then realized that she had absolutely no idea what that entailed. "Do we need holy book or hand on heart?" She smashed her primary hand into her breast in her excitement. She remembered herself and sat straighter, doing her best to copy how she imagined a soldier would sit at attention.

Kes Akiena
Feb 14th, 2016, 01:09:56 AM
Like a man overdone with relief he leaned forward himself, one hand going out to try and calm her excitement.

"No no... "

He stopped short then, staring at her before straightening just a small bit.

"It's nothing so formal, I promise."

Still that look in her eyes, that hopeful exuberance.

It reminded him of himself, so many... many years ago.

"We can do it with a holorecorder and time-stamp. Nothing too grandiose."

Still though, he couldn't help his smile. He felt all of a sudden young again, and the sight of Mayael Rakkamar was without a doubt what made him feel as though he'd only just joined the Rebels. Her earnest energy, her innocence...

Kes broke himself away then, leaning back in his seat with a sudden resurgence of pragmatism.

"Then you're serious," and still he couldn't help the hopeful gaze that escaped over the tops of his eyes. The gaze that made him feel like that younger man with the close-cropped crewcut and aspirations to do good in the galaxy.

A sharp breath then, and he let out a sharp laugh. Leaning forward, the redhead snatched the glass of juice from her hand while in the same motion rising to his feet.

"Then, I think this calls for something more 'professional', don't you?"

Mayael Rakkamar
Feb 14th, 2016, 01:28:13 AM
"What do you mean professional?" She inquired as she rose to her feet also and looked after Kes; her brown furrowed with confusion. She was genuinely a Wyrewulf lost in the mountains; no idea where she was going or which way she came. The closest thing she had to being part of an organized and professional body was Grov's Reavers, and the only thing professional about them was that they paid for your funeral expenses should you die in a raid. Basic was such a strange language. "Professional" could mean anything. Physical test, health inspection, or perhaps some kind of written test. She had a pen on her somewhere.

Kes Akiena
Feb 14th, 2016, 01:36:49 AM
A partial wave and gesture to alleviate any thoughts she might have.

"Eh, professional... official... it's all the same."

Kes moved back to the kitchenette, pulling close a small datapad that seemed as though it'd only been waiting for him to access its' files.

As Mayael semi-followed him, moving to the opposite side of the bar-like counter that separated the kitchenette and the main living room, he made sure that his eyes remained steady.

A single finger hovered over the 'record' button'. It was all terribly ad-hoc and spur-of-the-moment, but in the only way possible, it was exactly how it should be.

"Just tell me when you're ready."

Mayael Rakkamar
Feb 14th, 2016, 01:41:46 AM
Ah, a recording. It was only now that she realized that she was still wearing hew gaudy sewn together uniform and her hair was messy from work. Had she really looked a tramp the whole time she had been here. How embarrassing! She quickly ran a hand over hair, smoothed out her uniform, cleared her throat, and then clasped her hands together in front of her. Each set of hands nestled into it's partner.

"Ready."

Kes Akiena
Feb 17th, 2016, 12:18:17 AM
All told, it had only really taken no more than five minutes. She'd repeated the words he spoke for her, and a few seconds after she'd finished, he shut down the recorder, popping out the data crystal and depositing it on a small stack of datapads for future filing.

A nod to her, and Kes held out his hand in an offered shake.

"Welcome to service, Ms. Rakkamar."

Mayael Rakkamar
Feb 17th, 2016, 12:48:37 AM
It was over before it began. A simple oath, with only a few words she struggled to pronounce. She felt... elated, and light. As if a huge weight had been lifted off her shoulders. Everything was shiny and soft edged; like being drunk. Kes put away the recorder, and turned back with a hand outstretched. She could not help but smile as she took his hand with one of hers and shook it. And then she took a step forward, closing the small space between them, and wrapped all four of her arms around him.

"Thank you."

Kes Akiena
Feb 17th, 2016, 01:06:23 AM
Her arms around him hadn't been expected, and the redhead was taken up in an embrace that's caught him very much off-guard. Especially since she had the height advantage. Which, truthfully, wasn't an uncommon thing. There was a reason that Kori and Dage had nicknamed him 'Squirt'.

At the very least, Kes was able to somewhat bend his arms at the elbows, and his hands found partial purchase along her lower set of arms. In that moment, he wasn't exactly sure if he should try to disengage, or return the hug.

The earnestness of her thanks made the decision for him, and he did his best - though wrapped up in four arms - to return her embrace.

Mayael Rakkamar
Feb 17th, 2016, 01:15:38 AM
It was nice, holding another person. To achieve that connection. That level of casual intimacy was not welcome among the pirates; who always felt they had to be as rough and tough as they possibly could be with each other. Although they were cry like children if she took their guns apart without their permission. Back on her homeworld people were much more in touch with each other, and not afraid of physical contact. The universe had revealed itself to be a calloused and emotionally barren place.

Eventually she did remember herself, and that she was hugging her new superior officer, and quickly detached herself from the Commander.

"Vhat will happen now? Will I be sent to other planet or stay on Jovan?"

Kes Akiena
Feb 17th, 2016, 12:56:32 PM
Let go, Kes stood back. His smile once more found its' way onto his lips. That easy smile.

"Well, I suppose that's really up to you. Normally we do send new recruits off to other postings for training and experience, but in this instance, I think I can make a case to let you stay here... "

His hands found their way to the small of his back, clasping together.

"... if that's what you want, of course. If you'd rather leave I'm sure that we can find somewhere that would be best suited to your talents."

Mayael Rakkamar
Feb 17th, 2016, 04:38:44 PM
"I wouldn't know where else to go." She replied with a bit of a nervous laugh. "And I would much rather stay here and work for you Commandeer."

A thought noticeably dawned on her. "Where will I work within Alliance? Will I have to do aptitude test, yeah? Am familiar with concept. Did while at Hallingrad Academy. Say I make good engineer or soldier."

Kes Akiena
Feb 19th, 2016, 12:10:24 AM
He gave a nod, dwelling for only a moment on her admission of wishing to stay.

"An aptitude test is normally standard procedure, yes."

A few moments passed as he further considered the options in the here and now. If she were to stay, it wouldn't be too terribly difficult to convince the right people that it was in the Alliance's best interest. It would be tricky, but overall easy enough.

"Well, seeing as we've no real way to obtain your official records, we'll just have to start from scratch."

He turned on his heel, moving back into the kitchenette to begin the idle chore of rinsing out their glasses in the sink.

"I think I can drum up a test administrator so that we can get a better view of where you'd be the best fit."

Kes looked up then as he carefully set each glass atop a towel that rested on the counter.

"Would a week be enough time for you to prepare?"

Mayael Rakkamar
Feb 21st, 2016, 11:40:43 PM
Screwing up her face in thought, and touching a finger to her chin, she contemplated the time table. There was a lot she needed to catch up on. She had never considered that she might someday be a part of the Alliance and that meant that Alliance-produced manuals had only rarely entered into her reading circulation. The stacks of technical manuals in her apartment came from every source imaginable. Some she had to learn new languages to read, and the Gamorrean JJ7 Swoop Bike Engine Manual had been well worth that time investment. Seriously, how else would she know about that engine manifold exhaust shortcut. It was all information she would, most likely, never employ in her personal life, but there was no end in sight for the amount of technical information she was willing to cram into her head.

"Yes. Yes I think it vill." She replied at last, already compiling mental notes of visiting her usual suppliers and, of course, the actual Alliance base that she was now totally a member of, and getting her hands on everything from codes of conduct and rules of combat as well as anything pertaining to equipment, engineering, and weapons. Her true passions in life. Vorshka willing she'd be able to cram it all in time for the aptitude test. Not a necessity, she knew, since it was a test of her abilities rather than her ideals, but she figured new ideals might influence her responses. In the end, it really couldn't hurt, unless she got slotted into being a cook or an officer worker; otherwise knowing how to built an ion blaster out of household parts would be rather unnecessary for the job.

Kes Akiena
Feb 21st, 2016, 11:54:25 PM
"Very good."

His smile halfway returned, and Kes gave a sideways glance of approval her way.

The look in her eyes told him enough - she was already thinking ahead.

Drying his hands after shutting off the faucet, the redhead tossed the extra dishrag to the counter. His grin widened as he looked at her.

"Best get to studying then, I think. Don't you?"