PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Get Fit and Lose Weight

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 1st, 2016, 09:06:35 PM
I don't know about you, but I've gained some weight recently after fighting to lose it (got to my goal size in 2014). SO, it's back on the My Fitness Pal logging meal bandwagon and weighing in weekly! Who's with me!

Getting fit can mean different things - for some people it means losing weight, for others it means gaining weight and making it into muscle. Maybe you just want to stay the same size but rearrange it differently? I HIGHLY recommend reading the first few posts of somethingawful.com's General Diet and Exercise Megathread (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483424) - it's a great quickstart guide and I used it for my last weightloss thing (and then gorged over the last 9 months and have packed on 16 pounds, which is horrifying because I'm not pregnant so what is up with that??)

We will be doing a weekly weigh in for those who want accountability for losing weight. Also post here for encouragement.

WEIGH IN ON SATURDAY OR SUNDAY

Also also, use this form to submit your weekly weight! >>>FORM HERE<<< (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Rpp51bYEkpHNutcFa_a5CfBvGtSGjMx3DSd_lCtERtg/viewform)

I will compile it into a spreadsheet, which I'll link here once we get rolling on SUNDAY. >>>SPREADSHEET HERE<<<
(https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19GbBPRbqobe5glBVPnHD3AWk5-9x-MU3bnRXusSD5y4/edit?usp=sharing)
Post your weight here as well. And post before pictures if you like! BUT DO take some Before pictures, you're going to need those for comparison later, I promise.

I...think that's about it? Post your My Fitness Pal profile link or Fitocracy name if you keep track of stuff that way. I'm jainhollie on MFP and hollylolly on Fitocracy, and I've not really done anything there for a long time. Once I start lifting again I'm going to be using Fitocracy to log that.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 1st, 2016, 09:09:27 PM
I'll get my 'official' weight on Sunday morning, but I'm at about 166lbs now and would like to get down to about 148. Really though my goal is to fit into size 6-8 comfortably, whatever weight that is. Once I'm able to lift weights again we'll see what happens - the ultimate goal is a smaller body no matter what it weighs.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jan 1st, 2016, 09:20:11 PM
I'll weigh in on Sunday morning as well.

Darth Turbogeek
Jan 1st, 2016, 10:01:59 PM
81 kgs.

I'm one of the most fit 46 year olds on the planet (If you know how much I cycle and how well I do in Triathlons against people 20 years younger, it's not an idle boast) and yet I have weight issues, I should be stick thin. My diet is crap - I stuff my face with far too many carbs. I need to get down to 72 kgs before I go for Ironman Busseldon in December. I want to go under 5 hours on a 70.3 in February (wont happen, run is just not good enough).

Seems like a good time to fix this weight issue. Hoping at least I can get to 77 kgs by February. (Target times for the Triathlon in February - 40 minutes 2km swim, 2 hour 10min for 80km bike, 2 hours 20 km run. Best is 31 min swim, 2hour 10min bike, 2hour 25 run. My run suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 2nd, 2016, 12:31:06 PM
So that's 178.6 lbs then, Mark?

How tall are you, incidentally?

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 2nd, 2016, 12:42:06 PM
148.9 lbs - I'd like to be about 135 lbs.

Aria
Jan 2nd, 2016, 12:48:17 PM
I'm the worse at exercise so horribly unfit. My diet is kind of crummy but okay. I'm bad at losing weight though. I'm not large, just kind of... medium.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 2nd, 2016, 12:53:16 PM
Me too. I'm also very lumpy. *sigh*

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 2nd, 2016, 12:57:53 PM
My main goal is to no longer feel uncomfortable in my clothes. Most of my wardrobe is too tight :(

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 2nd, 2016, 01:05:45 PM
Oh yeah, I'm continually feeling squashed in my jeans, but I'm not wearing larger ones from sheer stubborness. Might as well try to lose the weight. ^_^;

Darth Turbogeek
Jan 2nd, 2016, 07:47:54 PM

I have no idea what 81kgs is in pounds is so...... dunno.

174cm. 72gs might seem a bit thin but I'm not really a large frame to begin with.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 3rd, 2016, 12:36:56 PM
Don't forget to weigh in today!

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 3rd, 2016, 12:38:46 PM

I have no idea what 81kgs is in pounds is so...... dunno.

174cm. 72gs might seem a bit thin but I'm not really a large frame to begin with.

So 5'7", ok :)

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 3rd, 2016, 12:40:29 PM
Don't forget to weigh in today!

I'm doing my weigh ins on a Saturday (to coincide with my lady friends Weight Watchers check in day)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 3rd, 2016, 12:55:19 PM
Don't forget to weigh in yesterday!

:p Ok fine

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jan 3rd, 2016, 02:00:19 PM
Came in at 182 lbs >_<

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 5th, 2016, 11:34:39 AM
How's it going everyone?

I recommend using http://subtractthefat.com/ to keep track of your weight trends! I like to weigh myself every day. With this site you can input all that data and keep track of your DOWNWARD trend. If you weigh yourself only weekly (good on you for the self control) you may have a disappointing week if you've retained some water the day you're weighing yourself. But with this you can look back and remind yourself - it's still trending lower.

Or, maybe it's not! Then you'll see that too and know you need to fix your diet.

Christin are you LOGGING YOUR FOOD MISSY I don't see a friend request on MFP from you. *hands on hips*

Darth Turbogeek
Jan 5th, 2016, 04:18:02 PM
Being a notorious chocololic and on too much carbs, I've bombed both. I used to have a Dare Ice Coffee milk for breakfast which it turns out has an absurd amount of sugar in it. Add to some other items I basically may as well have poured 100g of sugar down my throat and it totaled 900 calories (!)

This morning - 2 WeetBix and half a glass of milk. Only 300cals and total of 20g sugar which is mainly Lactose. Honestly, just having a quick rethink of my diet and I've pulled out over 1000cals including lunch and over 120g of sugar. Dinner isn't changing much, I tend to eat properly then

GG, the amount of sugar in most procesed foods really is unbelieveable!

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jan 6th, 2016, 01:03:36 PM
I'm... sort of logging it? ^_^;

I'm also joining the company weight loss challenge thing at work, so I'll have two fronts watching me.

I'll get on MFP probably this weekend. Remind me if I forget!

The Rake
Jan 6th, 2016, 01:06:42 PM
I'm logging the heck out of my food.

MFP is helping me a lot, actually. I really didn't think about / realise how many calories were in a lot of the seemingly innocent things I was eating.

Barbara Gordon
Jan 6th, 2016, 01:14:34 PM
I try really hard not to fudge my numbers on MFP but it's hard. I need to finish up my log from yesterday, I'm sure it's awful

Darth Turbogeek
Jan 6th, 2016, 01:56:30 PM
80.2 kg this morning.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 6th, 2016, 02:01:01 PM
*has to break out the kgs to lbs calculator for Mark* IN POUNDS PLEASE SIR

;)

Darth Turbogeek
Jan 6th, 2016, 07:30:09 PM
I dont speak moon units :p

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jan 7th, 2016, 12:02:19 AM
One thing that I'm particularly proud of, is that I've not had a single beer since last Saturday :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 7th, 2016, 12:12:20 PM
You should be proud - beer has a ton of calories in it!

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 7th, 2016, 12:32:02 PM
beer has a ton of calories in it!

the saddest thing.

I've put myself in the ballot for a half-marathon ( http://www.greatrun.org/great-north-run ) to give myself something to work towards, as far as fitness goes. I've got until September to get ready.. plenty of time :uhoh

Park Kraken
Jan 7th, 2016, 12:49:32 PM
My uncontrolled eating during Christmas didn't do too much damage. Up slightly to 591lbs from 590lbs. Really Thanksgiving did far more damage. I've already recut soft drinks out of my diet, now working on drinking more water to wean myself off sweet tea.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 7th, 2016, 01:12:02 PM
Getting rid of those empty calories in your drinks is a great step in the right direction when it comes to losing weight. :thumbup

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 7th, 2016, 01:40:53 PM
beer has a ton of calories in it!

the saddest thing.

I've put myself in the ballot for a half-marathon ( http://www.greatrun.org/great-north-run ) to give myself something to work towards, as far as fitness goes. I've got until September to get ready.. plenty of time :uhoh
I did a half marathon, I highly recommend it. But don't be me, and actually run more than 6 miles in a single run before you do the thing. I still did ok though. :p

I can't train my heartrate to stay low through activity though, no matter how much running I was doing my heartrate would always spike high and stay high (like 185-190 and then I'd have to walk or die). My sister has EDS and I am almost certainly carrying it/affected somewhat by the same thing, and one effect of that can be always having a high heart rate when exercising. I need to look it up again.

Some running is still good for me, though, I just have to be aware of my limits. I won't be a RUNNER but I can be fit enough to run when I need to, I guess. (I am not fit right now >_< )

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jan 7th, 2016, 01:45:46 PM
...beer has a ton of calories in it!

I've lost a little over two pounds already from cutting beer out almost entirely since then.

I won't stop altogether, since I want to turn it into a weekend treat, but even then it would pretty much be a one glass affair. I'll make exceptions if I go to places like Hop City or a tap room at one of the local breweries, but I don't like doing that on a regular basis so I think I'll be fine.

Weekday beer consumption has been cut out entirely, and I've taken to drinking only water at work, with either an orange juice or cranberry juice on the way in.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 7th, 2016, 01:57:59 PM
When you're counting your calories you can always make room for what you want to eat (or drink) - you just have to be aware of it ahead of time. :)

Darth Turbogeek
Jan 9th, 2016, 02:58:11 AM
78,8 kgs

GG. How much sugar was I eating??????

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 9th, 2016, 12:26:22 PM
78,8 kgs

Must have been a ton - with how much you exercise its hard to imagine the diet that kept you at overweight, tbh. Eat some more chicken!

edit: I've been down a pound the last three mornings. 160 today...again, I'm a little dehydrated this morning as I slept in late. We'll see.

Darth Turbogeek
Jan 9th, 2016, 04:57:14 PM
78,8 kgs

Must have been a ton - with how much you exercise its hard to imagine the diet that kept you at overweight, tbh. Eat some more chicken!

edit: I've been down a pound the last three mornings. 160 today...again, I'm a little dehydrated this morning as I slept in late. We'll see.

I did the math and I could have taken the office sugar jar and just dumped the lot down my throat for less sugar. 120g, 95g just in the morning. Also did the calorie maths and just by eating better I pulled 900 calories out of the diet. Breakfast was the main issue - I usually have iced coffee and something, that by itself is 600 calories more than say Weetbix and milk - and the Weetbix is more filling. Dare Iced coffee it turns out has a huge amount of added sugar and the other foods was just as bad.

Also turns out I had been calculating and eating presuming a few baselines that were also wrong. My base calorie intake is lower than expected.

Re: running - if you want to log, the best site these days to do that is on Strava. It's simple, the data you can get out of it is impressive, there's no ads and it is simply THE site for cyclists. At a glance I can see exactly how I am going and you also have challenges that help you get motivated.

Pierce Tondry
Jan 11th, 2016, 01:23:38 PM
As of today, I'm at 224.7 lbs. Going to work towards getting down to 190 lbs, which I was successful at doing two years ago through a combo of diet and exercise.

More precise plan to lose weight will follow.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jan 11th, 2016, 01:49:15 PM
Still sitting at 180. I had two beers on Saturday, and one on Sunday, but I'm sticking to my minimal allowed beer consumption. None during the week, and a few during the weekend. Once I get the treadmill unburied I'll probably start jogging.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 11th, 2016, 02:14:27 PM
Hey don't forget you can use the form in the OP to submit your weight every week and I suggest you do that. :D

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19GbBPRbqobe5glBVPnHD3AWk5-9x-MU3bnRXusSD5y4/edit?usp=sharing

Mark is the biggest loser this week with nearly 5lbs lost - good job!!!

Darth Turbogeek
Jan 11th, 2016, 04:23:32 PM
I sincerly hope I *dont* repeat that this week. That kind of weight loss is just too fast and not sustainable.

Ducked under 78 last night but there is no way that was legit - 39C, 97% humidity, 50km bike. I was an absolute mess even with 2 litres of water and a Gatorade.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 11th, 2016, 08:26:16 PM
Yeah 1-2 lbs is a good rate per week - but really anything (less than one) down is good.

i lost almost 4lbs - I wouldn't mind doing that every week tbh. But I'm not expecting it. ;)

Figrin D'an
Jan 11th, 2016, 08:44:53 PM
Current Weight: 200 lbs
Goal Weight: 185 lbs

However, my larger goal is to decrease my body fat % and add muscle. To that end, I've modified my workouts considerably.

My focus for the last 4 years had been cardio and core (resistance training stuff). It worked for what I needed at that time. In combination with some simple diet changes, I went from 270 lbs to 200 lbs in about 2 years time, and have maintained ever since. However, I want to take it to a new level. So, I started a full body strength training regime, and will be supplementing with running once I get acclimated to lifting (I run now, so I just need to get comfortable with how the lifting will make me feel). I've been roped into running a half marathon later this year, so I'll need to train for that. Still working on dietary adjustments. I'm going to need to cut about 300-400 cal/day out of my total, but still make sure I'm getting enough protein for muscle growth. My downfall is usually lunch during the work week.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 12th, 2016, 12:17:11 PM
Way strength routine are you doing? I am going to be going back to the old 5x5 ( link (http://newbie-fitness.blogspot.com/2007/01/stripped-5x5.html) ) to try to get my body back used to lifting. The garage gym is SO close to being finished. I'll probably start a new fitness log at SA to keep me motivated. I just looked at the OP of my last log there - I've backslidden so far from that (two years ago) it's a bit depressing.

Mu Satach
Jan 12th, 2016, 05:46:07 PM
meh - I broke my scale. :p

Guessing I'm about 290 lbs. Just started logging my food again yesterday. MFP http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nzat THE AGE IS A LIE!

Figrin D'an
Jan 12th, 2016, 06:55:07 PM
Way strength routine are you doing? I am going to be going back to the old 5x5 ( link (http://newbie-fitness.blogspot.com/2007/01/stripped-5x5.html) ) to try to get my body back used to lifting. The garage gym is SO close to being finished. I'll probably start a new fitness log at SA to keep me motivated. I just looked at the OP of my last log there - I've backslidden so far from that (two years ago) it's a bit depressing.

I'm going with the Mark Rippetoe 'Starting Strength' program to get back into the swing of things, then we'll see how things go. So, ABA, BAB workout rotation, with low bar squats, deadlifts, overhead press, bench press, then later on power clean and chin up/pull up.

Darth Turbogeek
Jan 13th, 2016, 04:19:08 AM
I'll call it at 77.8kg this week - I have a race and I need to carb load.

As well as the correct eating, the exercise / training this week -

Mon 50.2km bike, 2km off the bike run
Tuesday 81km bike, 2km off the bike run
Today - 2.5 km poor excuse in heat jog, 1hr time trial swim (3.25km)
Tomorrow - 75km bike(weather depending, storms are forcast, otherwise will hit the gym / swim)
Friday - 3-5km run
Saturday is race day, depending on swim conditions its 1.5km swim, 40km bike, 10km run
Sunday - do whatever hasnt been done in the weekly goals

Weekly goals - 250km bike, 2hour running, 5km swimming.

Race in a months time is 2km swim, 80km bike, 20km run.

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 13th, 2016, 10:21:23 AM
I got my place in the half marathon and have already raised over £100 for the Alzheimer's Society. So pleased, and everyone's support is an extra boost of motivation.

I've consistently logged my food for 17 days now, so I am also being as calorie conscious as I can.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 13th, 2016, 10:21:25 AM
Mark, just for kicks, let me know what you weigh on Sunday too, ok?

Darth Turbogeek
Jan 17th, 2016, 04:28:29 AM
79kgs. Completely rehydrated and stuffed my face full of carbs for 3 days before / after. So this week is a wash but that was expected.

Back on the low carbs :)

Figrin D'an
Jan 17th, 2016, 09:14:30 AM
Weighed in at 196.5 lbs this morning. Yesterday's workout was a bit of a struggle, but I think I may not have been properly hydrated. This is always been a problem for me. I tend to sweat a lot when I work out, and I can never seem to replenish what I lose in a timely manner.

Quads were really sore yesterday, but are mostly better today.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 17th, 2016, 10:43:49 AM
Weighed 161 yesterday but 163 today due to stuffing my face full of food and drinks last night. Blehhhh

also my thighs are so sooooore

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 17th, 2016, 11:47:57 AM
147.5 here :)

Today I ran 3 miles for the first time and did it in 30 minutes - which is not amazing I guess but I felt really satisfying to run continuously and for that distance.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jan 17th, 2016, 01:12:24 PM
I seem to be hovering at 181 consistently, though after working on the Nitro Friday night, I was pretty sore (busted thumb not included). My legs felt like I'd been doing squats *shrug*

Darth Turbogeek
Jan 19th, 2016, 03:54:35 AM
77.7kg AFTER dinner.

Also my knees are just simply .... not playing up and causing misery. That's the part I dont understand, the diet change has seriously affected my joints so fast for the better. Just the speed of the response all round for everything isan eye opener.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 19th, 2016, 12:25:42 PM
Hovering at 161, diet is a mess. Fitness is impossible. Got in another workout today though!

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 23rd, 2016, 04:07:30 AM
146.5 today - lost another lb :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 23rd, 2016, 05:07:51 PM
Was 159.4 this morning, woo!

Figrin D'an
Jan 24th, 2016, 08:29:45 AM
195.0 lbs this morning.

Much better workout week. Not nearly as sore. Overhead press still kicks my ass though.

Pierce Tondry
Jan 24th, 2016, 08:59:15 AM
Weighed in at 221.9 lbs this morning. After 13 days of portion control being my only adjustment, I've lost 2.8 lbs.

After the snow melts, I'm going to work on a light exercise routine to get myself back in shape... to get back in shape.

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 30th, 2016, 04:43:41 AM
Not a great week, as I've been out for a couple of birthday related meals and drinks - but I still appear to have lost 0.3lbs so that's better than nothing! Nearly down to the lowest weight that I've been in the last 12 months (145lbs)

Darth Turbogeek
Jan 31st, 2016, 12:14:57 AM
76.5kgs.

Weekly training

251km on the bike
16km run (need to do more)
6000 m swimming.

Pierce Tondry
Jan 31st, 2016, 09:10:01 AM
222.4 lbs today. Buuut, I did kinda of go nuts yesterday and eat 7/8ths of a thin crust pizza by myself because I was really hungry. That may be throwing me off some.

Miranda Tarkin
Feb 4th, 2016, 02:37:07 PM
My goal is getting active again. Three days on, two days off, on the elliptical. 20 minutes on Ski level 1. So far has been great. Only had one day I couldn't do it due to being ill. Started on 1/23/16. Haven't been on the scale yet. I might do that this weekend.

I can increase my activity to Ski 2 after a month of doing this.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 4th, 2016, 02:42:27 PM
I was back up to 161 on sunday... I'm not doing well with my diet. D: As with a lot of things in life I'm just saying "F- it" and going to bed.

I did work out on Tuesday though. Been sick yesterday but feeling a little better today, didn't work out though.

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19GbBPRbqobe5glBVPnHD3AWk5-9x-MU3bnRXusSD5y4/edit?usp=sharing Spreadsheet

Darth Turbogeek
Feb 6th, 2016, 11:20:05 PM
No change this week.

Charley
Feb 7th, 2016, 01:49:06 AM
January 30th: 315 pounds

Today: 303 pounds

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 7th, 2016, 02:12:49 AM
145lbs!

Lost just over a lb this week, by some fluke.

Pierce Tondry
Feb 7th, 2016, 09:58:12 AM
Clocking in at 220.7 lbs today.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 7th, 2016, 09:59:09 AM
176.2 lbs this morning.

Charley
Feb 7th, 2016, 10:39:03 AM
Shed another pound today.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 7th, 2016, 11:14:48 AM
Good job, everyone!

i didn't even weigh myself this morning. :( when life gets hard stuff yer face, right?

Navaria Tarkin
Feb 7th, 2016, 12:21:13 PM
Two weeks and haven't checked my weight. I am going to try and take a peak at it next week. But I am on target for working out. Been able to burn more calories and add more distance in the same twenty minutes. Eating habits haven't changed yet tho >_>

Figrin D'an
Feb 7th, 2016, 07:29:59 PM
196 lbs today, so back up by 1 lb (missed last week's weigh in). Work out today was pretty solid. My dead lift now exceeds my body weight and my squat is getting better, so the progress feels good. I have to travel a lot starting next week for the next month or so, which is going to mess up my mid week workouts. I'm just going to try not to backslide too much.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 11th, 2016, 12:19:34 PM
I'm still at 176 on the scale at home.

I'm doing a weight loss challenge thing at work, and the scale at work is saying I'm a different weight than the one at home. The one at work weighed me in last Monday at 185 even, and when I weighed at the house before leaving that morning, I was 176. I know my clunky steel toes are heavy, but nine pounds?

Sasseeri Reeouurra
Feb 11th, 2016, 12:30:21 PM
Your clothes are heavy too, and you will weigh more from eating or drinking water during the day.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 11th, 2016, 12:35:47 PM
Well yeah, but I have a hard time thinking that jeans and a cintas shirt weigh that much. Also, I usually only have a small bag of chips on the way into work. I don't eat 'breakfast' since usually if I eat anything too early I am sick to my stomach for the rest of the day. I don't drink soda, unless it's a small amount in my bourbon or rum after I get home from work. It's just weird.

Miranda Tarkin
Feb 11th, 2016, 01:00:26 PM
When we do weigh ins for our associates where I work, we make sure they take off their shoes, socks and do a -2 lbs for the clothes. Can't really account for water/eating at the time, but those other factors are considered.

Hands down the best time to weigh yourself is when you wake up and naked :p

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 11th, 2016, 01:10:46 PM
Drinking anything adds weight, which is why I said water, not soda. ;) But if you eat the same things every day or wear the same sorts of things every day and they're weighing you at the same time of day every time, then the number at work should go down as well. The fact that they're weighing you with your steel toed boots on is really sort of hilarious, but I can understand if that's PPE that you're not allowed to take off while at work.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 11th, 2016, 01:25:03 PM
Yeah, it's kind of stupid in my mind as well. And technically it's at an owned property off of the main plant site, so steel toes aren't required. I even asked the lady if I should take them off for my first weigh-in, and she said nope. But I could if I wanted to on the last weigh-in at the end of the contest. People game the system there so much. They go in during the first weigh-in with rolls of coinage in huge jacket pockets and their heaviest clothes. And at the last weigh-in, they come in in shorts, light shirt, and flip-flops. It makes me roll my eyes clear across to Mississippi.

edit - my partner and I weigh without our shoes on one day, and my shoes accounted for like, four pounds, haha.

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 12th, 2016, 05:07:40 AM
Hands down the best time to weigh yourself is when you wake up and naked :p

This is how I do my weigh ins on a Saturday morning! Before breakfast ;)

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 13th, 2016, 03:18:48 AM
Today's weight: 141.7

Not surprisingly, lost over 3lbs this week due to being ill and barely eating anything.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 13th, 2016, 03:31:06 AM
Vindication! After asking around, I'm not the only one with discrepancies between home scales and work scales. Gonna be getting in contact with certain folks come next Monday.

Darth Turbogeek
Feb 15th, 2016, 04:11:22 AM
76.4kg. But not really trying now as I am switching to carbing the fuck up for this weekend. 2km swim / 83 km bike / 20km run. EAT ALL THE CARBS

Darth Turbogeek
Feb 18th, 2016, 04:05:22 PM
Actually somehow I've dropped to 76.0kg even with stuffing carbs in my gob.

TheHolo.Net
Feb 18th, 2016, 07:44:49 PM
Howdy, I’m new here. :D

I’d still like to lose a little more weight, but I think that I have a fairly decent success story to share as it relates to weight loss/getting more fit and healthy. I am still working to keep it in check, though not as hard as I had been.

This story seems long, but I have never been particularly good at being brief / succinct. I will try to keep it in check. Maybe my experience can help someone else, and committing it to written text here will provide me with a place to look back at for new motivation in case I falter.

This started in May 2015. Not all that long ago, I know. My starting weight was 248 lbs. I had chronic heartburn and daily pain in my left foot from poor circulation. I was tired all the time, extra cranky, and had little energy. The foot pain turned out to be caused by my belt in combination with the extra weight I was carrying. Switching from a belt to suspenders helped stop the pain as well as helping to keep me in the clothes that I shrunk out from under, a little longer than I probably should have. But the foot pain was definitely a helpful motivator for what I decided to do.

My self-esteem was at probably the lowest it had ever been, and I felt that, at my age I needed to make some changes, before I started having more serious health issues. My teenage daughter often looked at me disapprovingly and poked fun when I would have my huge bowl of ice cream. I had always been referred to as ‘thin’ and of ‘slight’ build in the past. I wanted to return to at least some semblance of that if I could.

I started by cutting caloric intake. I didn’t and still don’t obsess over every single calorie or carbs. But I made rough calorie estimations and decided that I would try and limit my three meals a day to be at or under approximately 500 calories, especially breakfast and lunch.

As part of cutting calories, I stopped drinking sugared drinks. Coffee, soda, even diet and calorie free soda were no longer allowed. I had tried to lose weight a few years ago, by switching from sugared to diet/calorie free soda and noticed some change but it quickly turned from a good change to a bad change, shifting in the wrong direction. I committed to no soda and instead drank lots and lots of water. I forced myself to start drinking my coffee with no additives whatsoever. I left behind the days of some coffee with my sugar and milk/cream.

I completely stopped eating any fast food whatsoever. I used to have lunch at Arby’s, Subway, Taco Bell, etc. every day. No more of that. Of course, I was often quite hungry. I supplemented my now limited diet snacking on small amounts of beef jerky, apples, oranges, bananas, peanuts, and as always, lots and lots of water.

I cut back on beer and booze, which for me was every weekend type thing. Often drinking a case of beer between Friday and Sunday all on my own. I limited myself to drinking once every other week, sometimes only once every three weeks and started drinking much less per instance.

Along with all of the aforementioned changes in caloric intake, came the exercise. I started slow and gradually progressed, never really getting very extreme, in my opinion. I would go for walks before work, during my lunch break, and then when I got home from work, I would walk on the elliptical machine I bought. Buying the new elliptical was another good motivator. I had to get my money’s worth out of it.

In the beginning my walks were 15 minutes each. I then moved up to 30 minutes, then 40, 50, 60 and finally I started walking up to three times daily for 90 minutes at a time. I typically only did this three to five days a week, depending on how my motivation levels were. Along with the progression in duration, I was changing the settings on the elliptical, adding more resistance and increasing the incline gradually as I started finding what I was doing to be easier and easier with repetition. I kept a time calories burned and estimated distance chart posted on a calendar next to the elliptical to help keep track.

By December 2015, I had dropped my weight down to 180 lbs. All in all it didn’t seem that hard. Maybe losing so much weight so fast is unhealthy but I am not sure. Time will tell for sure. One thing is certain to me these days; I feel a lot healthier, my self-esteem is rising, and the chronic heartburn is gone as are the odd, sometimes sad glances from my teenage daughter.

My weight is now fluctuating between 170 and 178 lbs. With the colder weather firmly upon us in Colorado I don’t walk quite as much as I used to but I still try to get at least an hour a day out in the fresh air, five days a week. Black coffee and a small yogurt after dinner have replaced my largest sugar intakes.

That’s my story. Hopefully, over the course of the next 6 to 9 months, I can lose another 10 to 15 pounds and be able to walk for miles and miles without tiring. My wife and I hope to bike the Poudre river trail some this summer. We walked a lot of it last year, but will be able to cover a lot more ground on the bikes we bought at the end of the season in 2015.

Stay motivated and continue to push yourself. I believe that any success that comes is a reward unto itself.

My weight today is 173 lbs. At 5’10” and 46 years of age it’s not quite my goal, but I am still working on it. My waist size in blue jeans has gone from 40" to 34". My original goal was to get myself under 200 lbs, and since May 2015, I often thought to myself that reaching anywhere below 180 lbs was a fantasy. My fantasy is now a reality. You can do it too!

Mu Satach
Feb 19th, 2016, 02:03:20 AM
Thanks for posting that Ogre. I'm in a place right now where convincing myself that even simple changes will make a difference.

Miranda Tarkin
Feb 19th, 2016, 07:04:01 AM
So far between walking and working the elliptical, done 30 miles this month. I know I need to modify my food intake but I've added fruit throughout the day!

Amazing success story Ogies <3

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 19th, 2016, 09:27:09 AM
Good going, Big Green :D Little changes can definitely make a world of difference. My weight loss has been mainly due to adjusting my diet to a sensible amount of calories each day.

Looking forward to weigh-in tomorrow morning and seeing whether I am at last under 10 stone again

Charley
Feb 19th, 2016, 03:08:50 PM
Today's weight = 297 pounds. I have lost 18 pounds in 20 days, and there was a four course $300 dinner in there too

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 19th, 2016, 09:00:59 PM
Good job, everyone. :)

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 20th, 2016, 03:46:53 AM
142.7 lbs this morning - put on a lb since getting better and starting to eat again.

Could be worse!

Figrin D'an
Feb 20th, 2016, 04:59:45 PM
I dropped as low as 193 last week when I was sick last week and not able to eat or exercise normally. Was at 196 this morning. My travel schedule is making it difficult to fit in my workouts on fixed intervals. Going to continue to chip away however. If I reduce my calorie intake at lunchtime, this would be so much easier.

Darth Turbogeek
Feb 21st, 2016, 04:08:45 AM
Howdy, I’m new here. :D

That's the kind of story that's inspiring, awesome work!

Looks like I dropped to 74kgs but that doesnt count. I have a lot of rehydration and recovery eating so Monday night's weigh in will be the mark.

Three races this weekend - 1km ocean swim, Enticer Triathlon (300m swim, 8km bike, 2km run) and today's sufferfest of 2km ocean swim, 83km bike, 20km run Long Course Triathlon. I hurt in all sorts of new and exotic ways but I also removed 20(!) minutes off my long course run time. If you have me on facebook, yes I seriously broke the diet afterwards but ...... Strava is claiming 1913 cals for the run, 450 for the swim and 1945 for the ride.

I think the run improvement is due to mostly diet and the weight loss.

Miranda Tarkin
Feb 21st, 2016, 12:50:46 PM
Neither gained or lost so... at least that is stable.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 24th, 2016, 09:54:06 AM
175.4. Not a huge loss, but that's ok. I can tell I've been losing off my waist. There's a few pants that I had to start wearing suspenders with (rainbow colored ones :cool )

Eluna Thals
Feb 24th, 2016, 01:20:29 PM
My weight loss has slowed and I've gone plus or minus a pound for a few days, but I can tell my clothes are fitting better

Figrin D'an
Feb 28th, 2016, 11:11:14 AM
Still at 196 lbs. However, I missed a workout and didn't eat very well early in the week due to work travel. This week should be more normal.

Miranda Tarkin
Feb 28th, 2016, 02:31:51 PM
Whole family was infected by the GI bug going around. My eating habits are what's tolerated and haven't worked out for obvious reasons. I'll start back up again when recovered 100%

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 29th, 2016, 01:38:52 AM
Belated check in but I'm just over 144lbs now - up to 1lb less than I was before I dropped weight while being ill

Charley
Feb 29th, 2016, 01:38:11 PM
I've lost over 21 pounds in February

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 29th, 2016, 02:24:22 PM
Great job everyone! Keep at it!

Darth Turbogeek
Feb 29th, 2016, 08:37:53 PM
Just sitting on 76.0kg Annoying

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 1st, 2016, 08:45:43 AM
You did so good, Charley!

Darth Turbogeek
Mar 3rd, 2016, 04:36:32 AM
75.9kg.

Right, now it get hard from here if tradition is anything is to go from. Altho I hav noted the weight loss is from different areas than usual - I havent lost it off the face as much, nor the limbs.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 5th, 2016, 09:12:20 AM
Sitting on 175 still. I'm not upset about it or anything though, since I thought for sure that I'd gain due to me eating more food than normal in recent days.

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 5th, 2016, 09:14:11 AM
143.7 lbs today - happy with that since I've been eating about 400 calories above my allowance for the last few days.

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 7th, 2016, 01:55:34 AM
I did my first 35 minute run (5km) at the weekend. Looking forward to pushing that to a longer duration - it felt like I was getting into some weird zen zone around the 35 minute mark.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 7th, 2016, 01:15:37 PM
Great job Jenny! :woop:

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 7th, 2016, 02:03:29 PM
Thanks! I'm hoping I can run 40 minutes this weekend. Also for slightly warmer weather, as we walk back whatever distance we run.

Darth Turbogeek
Mar 10th, 2016, 04:45:58 AM
75.6kg

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 10th, 2016, 01:25:48 PM
174.6 lbs

Slowly going down. I've been pretty strict with my not eating when I get home from work rule, and I've also been drinking a lot of water.

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 12th, 2016, 03:50:18 AM
Same weight as last week. No movement up or down. Again, I know that a couple of days I've dined out with friends or family, so that will have pushed my calories up beyond the amount I've been eating to lose weight.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 14th, 2016, 12:30:52 PM
172.6. The elevator going down is back in service :cool

Morgan Evanar
Mar 15th, 2016, 09:03:05 AM
Ran 1 mile yesterday in 9:59. Ugh. Calves hurt.

Moved all this past weekend, wasn't super-sore, so that's good.

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 15th, 2016, 11:44:01 AM
Nice one.

We ran for 40 minutes at the weekend, covered about 3.4 miles, then walked the same distance back. The weather suddenly went from icy to warm this weekend, so it was a really pleasant walk back for once :)

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 17th, 2016, 09:16:42 AM
I'm off to London tomorrow morning until Sunday afternoon, so I'll weigh in then. I'll almost certainly have put on weight, since I'm gonna be on the pints :D

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 17th, 2016, 11:05:26 AM
I forgot to weigh myself this morning when I got up. I'll do it tomorrow morning. I almost had a beer last night after getting home, but resisted the temptation and had a vodka/OJ instead. I've been pretty anxious since Monday night though, so I haven't been eating much.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 18th, 2016, 12:56:24 PM
171.2 lbs as of this morning.

Darth Turbogeek
Apr 10th, 2016, 03:35:50 AM
Now at 75.0kg

Figrin D'an
Apr 10th, 2016, 06:44:10 AM
Weight has continued to be pretty steady. Was at 197 last night, which is up a touch. The plus side is, my upper body is definitely getting bigger. I can see it in the upper arms and shoulders. Going to continue down the weight training path with running mixed in, and see where it takes me.

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 10th, 2016, 09:29:09 AM
I've been hovering around 141.7lbs for a while now. Hopefully gonna push down below 140 soon.

I'm running 3 times a week - doing 2 "short" runs of 3 miles, and then a longer run on the weekend. So far, the longest we have done is 5.25 miles (in 1 hour). Hopefully pushing that up to 6 miles this coming weekend.

Miranda Tarkin
Apr 10th, 2016, 12:53:54 PM
Keep up the hard work everyone!

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 10th, 2016, 12:56:08 PM
Had some health stuff going on earlier, so I haven't lost any weight. Plan on getting back on the bandwagon, although my weight set is once again covered with stuff and I am beginning to think it's a fools quest to keep the garage clean enough to work out in it.

Good work, everyone else!

Morgan Evanar
Apr 10th, 2016, 06:32:52 PM
Still running weekly, and painting almost every day. Hope to get into the gym on a regular basis again.

Darth Turbogeek
Apr 11th, 2016, 05:10:32 AM
http://alliancemotorsport.org/newgallery/upload/2016/04/11/20160411040301-4abe3565.jpg

Padd
Apr 24th, 2016, 10:11:49 AM
Jumping in late.

I am right under 6'4", and fluctuate between 180 and 190, usually closer to 183-185. I run three days a week between 4 and 6 miles, sometimes as much as 8 if it's on a weekend. I work out for an hour three days a week. And I take a day of rest. My goal is to get just under 180 so that holidays and vacations don't bump me up much higher than 180. And really my goal is to maintain an 8 inch drop, which means for my size 40 jacket, a 32 inch pant. I have been at 40-33 for about three years.

But I've been on a work trip for the past 3 weeks, and while we average 15 hours a day (sometimes up to 20 during the week, usually 10-12 on Sat/Sun), our boss heavily encourages us to be healthy to the point he pays for our gym memberships out of pocket. Since April 1, I have billed 340 hours, gained a couple of pounds, my arms have gotten noticeably bigger and my chest more defined, and gone from a 33 waist to a 32 waist. All of my 33 pants were getting baggy to the point I had to order a couple pairs of 32s to work. Everyone here is working out and/or running 7 days a week, and we constantly talk crap to each other as motivation. Every morning for breakfast, I eat Greek yogurt with high protein granola. I usually skip lunch and snack on turkey jerky or a protein bar throughout the day. Then I have a protein shake after workouts/runs, and I eat tuna, sea bass, ceviche, or something like that for dinner (working in south Florida) with whatever sides come with it. On Friday nights (the only time we get off), I usually splurge a bit. Like last Friday, I ate a 8 oz rare filet topped with a foie gras patty and has creamed spinach and brussel sprouts as sides, with copious amounts of alcohol. My Friday night meals have always thrown off my diet, but they have also kept me sane.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 26th, 2016, 11:50:11 AM
Awesome job, Padd! Jealous of your ceviche dinners, though.

Down to 169.9, myself. Slowly but surely marching down to 135 ^_^

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 28th, 2016, 11:28:31 PM
Last weekend I was at 139.7lbs - looking forward to seeing what this weekend brings!

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 29th, 2016, 11:33:05 PM
Awesome job! Glad you were able to break the 140 mark :D

Padd
May 1st, 2016, 08:46:00 PM
Awesome job, Padd! Jealous of your ceviche dinners, though.

Down to 169.9, myself. Slowly but surely marching down to 135 ^_^

Thank you, and good luck to you! It is great to see everyone supporting each other. Big gains (or technically losses) take a lot of time and patience and can be incredibly frustrating. Encouragement from others is important to keep you on track and focused on your goal.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 4th, 2016, 10:20:15 AM
Hit 166.4 this morning. I've added a new layer to my diet, so on top of actually eating a dinner at 9 (and not midnight right before I go to bed), I've swapped up what I eat with fruit. Usually it's an orange and an apple, but last night I took a tub of strawberries and had those with my orange.

Dasquian Belargic
May 7th, 2016, 04:18:23 AM
Still 139.7 over here. Been eating about 1500 calories a day, which I guess is my 'maintain weight' amount!

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 7th, 2016, 06:25:15 PM
I have no idea what my 'maintain weight' intake is. How's the best way to determine that?

ps - 165.2 this morning

Dasquian Belargic
May 8th, 2016, 01:13:20 AM
I'm just guessing, to be honest! The MyFitnessPal app suggests 1210 cal for me to lose 1.5 lbs per week. When I eat around 1500, I tend to maintain my weight.

It's purely anecdotal.. I'm sure there's some way of calculating it more precisely.

Dasquian Belargic
May 14th, 2016, 01:21:48 AM
139.3lbs, down from 139.7 last week

Mu Satach
May 14th, 2016, 02:01:02 PM
I need help designing a D&D style SW fitness game for myself.

My biggest problem in losing weight is consistency and it's not fun. Later, when you are well on your way to fitness it becomes fun, but never when starting out. I am so discouraged by my failures that I have no real desire to do anything anymore. But, I love games and the idea of ticking off small in game achievements has gotten me out and moving a few times this past week.

So far, the end game big boss is Jabba. (I have named my inner slug Jabba. Jabba is the vaping couch potato content to wear a Muu Muu a la Homer Simpson.)

I've started working on a basic point system.
Examples:

Logged a Meal or Snack = 5 pts
flight of stairs = 25 pts.
Go up a level for every 5 lbs. lost.
Missed workouts = loss of health points
Junk Food and the like = loss of health points

So, where I would like help is in creating the story line to go with each 5 lb. quest.
Where should I start? What could I be doing?

oh and today I weigh 294.6 lbs.

Dasquian Belargic
May 15th, 2016, 05:01:40 AM
I love the idea of quests for fitness! Gamification and achievements ftw. I think that's why I have found using MyFitnessPal so successful. Getting under your target calorie goal is like a little challenge. I wish there was some kind of app that really gave you experience points and let you level up as your fitness improved, along with some kind of story. The closest one I have seen is http://superheroworkoutgame.com/ which has a full-voiced story, in which you're supposed to be testing some kind of super-suit a la Iron Man. That doesn't really tap into the nutrition side of things though, and it pushes you pretty hard from the start.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 27th, 2016, 01:17:59 PM
Had my final weigh in today. Lost 26 lbs :cool

I passed the 10% goal, so that means I get a cool 50 bucks :D

Miranda Tarkin
May 27th, 2016, 01:24:16 PM
that is awesome! Congratulations :D

Lilaena De'Ville
May 27th, 2016, 01:26:27 PM
Congrats Lok!

Dasquian Belargic
May 27th, 2016, 02:06:36 PM
Hey well done!

Satkia Beltrak
May 27th, 2016, 06:57:52 PM
Woo! Congratulations! :D

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 18th, 2016, 10:55:35 AM
It was a hell of a plateau, but I finally broke below the 160 mark :D 159.8 lbs :eee

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 18th, 2016, 11:43:59 AM
That's awesome! Congrats!

Nikolai Drakken
Aug 18th, 2016, 11:45:46 AM
Congratulations! :)

Satkia Beltrak
Aug 18th, 2016, 12:17:17 PM
Awesome!! :D