PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: Aftermath

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Sep 2nd, 2015, 12:52:09 PM
So, with Aftermath coming out on Friday, would anyone be keen on doing a soft restart of our old book club? Maybe give folks a week to get the book in case the bookstore is sold out or Amazon takes a bit longer than normal, then on Friday the 11th we can start in on it?

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 2nd, 2015, 01:10:10 PM
Sounds good. I just pre-ordered the book. :D

Droo
Sep 3rd, 2015, 08:30:18 AM
I'm interested, but I'm also curious about the book: presumably it has been given an official blessing, but if it is truly the "Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens," then I'll probably give it a miss, since I'd like to go into the film as uninformed as possible. In that case, I'm on board, but I'll wait for the next book.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Sep 8th, 2015, 10:26:13 AM
We picked it up as well, so we'll be ready to start on the 11th :)

Padd
May 1st, 2016, 07:31:08 PM
How was it guys? I just got around to buying it. I won't be able to read it until the end of the month.

Charley
May 1st, 2016, 07:53:38 PM
It's terrible. You at least get backstory into Greg Grunberg's character in TFA, uh, I guess. But there was very little I liked about that book.

Lost Stars, however...<3

Padd
May 1st, 2016, 08:34:33 PM
That's disappointing. I felt the same way after reading Dark Disciple. I was hoping this would be better.

Padd
Oct 1st, 2017, 10:06:57 AM
So I read the first two, and I'm halfway through the third. I didn't think the first was horrible (ie it was much better than Dark Disciple), but it was far from great.

The second one was rather enjoyable. My main issue was how poorly they captured the magic of Harrison Ford when writing Han Solo. Other than that, I rather liked it.

I'm halfway through the third. I will not post any spoilers here, but so far, it's as good as the second, and they finally seem to have the aforementioned Han Solo problem under control. I'll post more thoughts when I finish.

Charley
Oct 1st, 2017, 10:24:18 AM
I've still heard mixed-to-bad reviews of book two and three. I'd like to read them if given the chance, but I can't in good faith spend any more money on a Chuck Wendig book. The first one was so bad that it burned me pretty deep. Maybe I'll try and borrow it.

Padd
Oct 1st, 2017, 01:21:13 PM
They aren't art by any means, but they're easy and fun if you've got a few spare hours. As I read another 75 pages or so in book 3 today, it seems as if they are trying too hard to push a certain character's homosexuality in your face for the sake of having an openly homosexual character, but I'm still enjoying it.

As a side note, I read most of book two and all of book three so far slightly (or moderately) buzzed on a boozy vacation. So that could explain why I'm liking it.