PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Tabletop RPG, advice needed...

Peter McCoy
Jul 23rd, 2015, 02:53:38 PM
Hello!

So I meet up weekly with a group of friends for boardgames and tabletop RPG's. We've done some Vampire: The Masquerade and are currently in the middle of a Call of Cthulhu game. I suggested doing Star Wars somewhere down the line, giving me time to plan a campaign.

But I'm at a loss as to what system to use. The original one, West End Games, is out of print but is the only one I've experienced. The 2nd, published by Wizards of the Coast, is also out of print and uses a D20 system as opposed to D6 which WEG used. The third and current is published by Fantasy Flight Games and is quite expensive.

I'm up for using any of the three, but if anybody who has experience of them could suggest which one to favour and why? I remember West End Games' D6 system being quite straight forward and relatively fast-paced, plus you didn't need miniatures which is a huge bonus.

Looks like the WEG and Wizards of the Coast books can be found on Ebay at decent, low prices.

Particularly, the guys have said they want to play as the bad guys - Sithy, Imperialy types. And it's going to be set after the movies during the age of the New Republic - if that helps inform your advice.

Cheers!

Brask
Jul 24th, 2015, 11:25:44 AM
My brother and I had some success with the Wizards version. It could be fiendishly complex if one tried to use all of the rules from all of the books but using the core rulebook and agreeing that checks on dice were needed for feats of daring do and combat rather than every turn it worked out fine.

Brask
Jul 24th, 2015, 11:29:26 AM
Oh and miniatures aren't needed. A rough map on squared paper and some basic counters was the most we used to keep track of things.

Brask
Jul 24th, 2015, 11:30:15 AM
Our parents did think we were a bit odd lugging the rulebook and a box of dice with us on hols though.

Peter McCoy
Jul 24th, 2015, 06:23:52 PM
Thanks for the input dood. As it is, we're going with the D6 version. Simpler rules overall and one of the guys has tonnes of sourcebooks with stats for that system.