PDA

View Full Version : The Devil Marches On

Xanatos Etanial
Apr 13th, 2015, 11:50:31 PM
Xanatos sat cross legged on the floor of the brig aboard the Whaladon. The ship was oddly quiet as it seemed the main functions of life had transferred to the camp and construction site, and it was admittedly a touch eerie sitting alone in an ever quiet space with no windows and only one locked door.

Supposedly there was a guard on him, though they had not been forthcoming with conversation up to this point. Still, he had been told he'd be allowed to ask questions regarding the Force and it's nature, perhaps even study some. His curiosity had only continued to grow the longer he had been left alone with naught but his own thoughts. He stood slowly, stretching and finally knocking on the locked door.

"If it's not too much to ask, I don't suppose I could get some manner of reading material?"

He really wasn't sure who he was expecting to answer, but hoped that someone would.

Eluna Thals
Apr 14th, 2015, 12:13:47 AM
"I can help with that, sure."

The Jedi guard parted the door of the brig with a mindful eye as red-haired woman entered. She looked fairly nondescript. Unlike the Jedi in his tunic and robe, she wore unremarkable casual attire, save for an Ident badge worn on her jeans. As she entered, so too did the guarding Jedi, who stood away from the pair, yet clearly in sight of both.

"Is that necessary?"

"Council's orders. Mr. Etanial's visitations are supervised."

The red-haired woman considered this briefly, nodding her head affably.

"That's fine."

Her green eyes returned to the reason why she was here, and she extended a hand to Xanatos.

"Xanatos Etanial? I'm Eluna Thals. Captain of Alliance Intelligence. I'm your debriefing contact."

Xanatos Etanial
Apr 14th, 2015, 12:19:03 AM
He took her hand with a smile. "It's a pleasure to meet you Ms. Thals, and I must say I'm thankful to finally have the opportunity to speak to someone again. It gets a little maddening in here with my own thoughts."

He gave a polite nod to the Jedi guard who stood in the corner observing them, and was not the least bit surprised when no such politeness was returned. Word of exactly who he was, and what he had been was likely starting to get out. That was another life though, and one he was very much hoping to leave behind. Speaking to Alliance Intelligence would be a first step toward moving on he hoped.

Eluna Thals
Apr 14th, 2015, 12:33:32 AM
Behind the illusion, the Girl stirred at Xanatos' words.

It gets a little maddening in here with my own thoughts

She took it in wistfully from her menagerie. Here, she was mainly a spectator. The Machine had work to do. It set the pace of the mission at hand. First off was rapport building. The Girl was an easy assist.

"Could get you some crayons for mural work too, I guess."

An affable little smile, she kept the encounter charming but not schmaltzy.

"Well hopefully your time in here won't be for too long. As for myself, I'm just passing from Bothawui and back and was asked to handle your case file, so here I am. Before we begin, do you have any questions that I can address?"

Xanatos Etanial
Apr 14th, 2015, 12:45:40 AM
"Ah, yes, and this is for... you as well." he motioned at the Jedi. "I mentioned something to read. If possible I'd like something that could get me started learning more about the Jedi teachings. Beyond that I would very much like to be an open book, Ms. Thals to make this as easy as possible."

He motioned to the small, hard cot that had been made up for his stay inside the ship's brig and sat down at the edge of the bed to give the Alliance officer as much space as she needed. He wasn't sure what potential paperwork she may need to spread out while they talked.

Eluna Thals
Apr 14th, 2015, 01:06:27 AM
"I can get you something to read."

Eluna nodded along.

"Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but I'm sure I can pass your request along."

Eluna took a seat adjacent to Xanatos on the cot.

"Let's start from the beginning of your relationship with the Imperial Inquisitorius. If you can, describe events and give times and names as you're able to recall."

Xanatos Etanial
Apr 15th, 2015, 12:52:57 AM
He nodded, considering what he could recall. "Oh... I want to say it was around 4 years ago? I was on Coruscant when the Inquisition picked up up under suspicion of being Force adept. My contact while I was detained was one Victor Crestmere, Inquisitor. He was the man who recruited me to the Empire and the Inquisitorius. I worked under Inquisitor Helghast, and I was briefly a part of what was known as Project Nightmare, where I was placed in an Intelligence role - though only after I was tested in several potential positions for the organization. As such my actual hands on field activity was minimal, and usually saw me following with an established squad."

He shifted at the memories, while he hadn't done much for the members of Project Nightmare, only seeing a few field experiences, those few had left enough of a lasting impression on him to make him uncomfortable now, with the knowledge of what he was a party to. Of the understanding of the lies the Empire had fed to him.

"When that project was suspended, 2 years or so after I entered the service of the Empire, I sought a transfer to Imperial Intelligence. Direct field work didn't agree with me..." He shook his head, again remembering what had happened on Bespin. "And I found myself sat mostly behind a desk."

Eluna Thals
Apr 17th, 2015, 11:00:55 PM
The Machine sorted and prioritized the data given. Most of this information was of little use, having been either already corroborated or no longer fresh enough to be relevant. At the least, it was specific enough to give credence to the veracity of Xanatos' claims.

More relevant to Eluna's interest was the more recent data he could manage.

"Tell me about your service with Imperial Intelligence. You mentioned having issues with the field work given."

Xanatos Etanial
Apr 17th, 2015, 11:19:29 PM
He sighed, shaking his head at the thought. Bespin, she was asking about Bespin. He knit his fingers together and leaned forward, forcing himself to remember the events.

"It was my first assignment after transferring - as I had experience from my time with the Inquisitorius and Project Nightmare I was put in command of a small squad of Agents tracking a believed defector hiding on Bespin."

He scratched his chin, eyes wandering the ceiling as he spoke, "What was his name... Tyrelle? I think it was..." He shook his head slightly to try and clear the cobwebs, "I really wish I could remember more clearly, I feel awful that I don't." He let out a soft sigh and continued. "We found him hiding in an apartment complex in Tibannopolis. We locked down the local citizenry and went in. Minimal resistance. We found him on the 5th floor of the complex, I remember that. I gave the order to kick in the door of the apartment and he was just huddled there, fear in his eyes, staring at us. Swore up and down he wasn't defecting, that it was politics at play. Someone in command wanted him dead because he had information that put them at risk with their superiors. It was obviously false, it just seemed too... obvious. But something about the look in his eyes, the way he spoke, the conviction that he spoke with."

He made a small 'tchting' noise with his lips, the memory hard on him, "It made me wonder. What if. What if it was just someone wanting him gone because they wanted him gone. I asked for clarification from command, recommended extracting him for further review, let him make his case before the Imperial Centre."

Xanatos got quiet. "The order was clear. He was a defector, and we were to terminate him." Xanatos wrung his hands slowly, "So we did. I started having trouble sleeping after that. Put in inquiries to my superiors about the situation, wanted to be sure that we had done the right thing. I heard nothing back from my inquiries for a month, my work suffered as a result and finally I received a reply, but not the one I expected. I was being reassigned, off of field duty and into the data management pool."

His shoulders slumped, shaking his head slowly. "Tyrelle Marcellus. His name was Tyrelle Marcellus."

Eluna Thals
Apr 17th, 2015, 11:27:55 PM
It took picoseconds for the Machine to already match the admission to a case file already assembled. Alliance intelligence had assets in play on Bespin during the testified events, and this too was corroborated. One thing was missing.

"Who gave the kill order?"

Xanatos Etanial
Apr 18th, 2015, 01:18:07 AM
He shook his head a bit, it was in there, he was certain of it. His brow knit as he tried to remember who had given the order. He knew that he was aware of it, he recalled it being on the report he had filed afterward. Who was... recognition dawned in his eyes.

"Moff J'rvin." He locked eyes with hers, nodding to himself slowly. "The order was signed by Moff J'rvin."

Eluna Thals
Apr 18th, 2015, 01:28:16 AM
"Ah."

Eluna blinked momentarily, then smiled affably. A key piece of an unseen puzzle fit into play, and the Machine archived that for further analysis. Returning to matters at hand, Eluna laced her fingers together in her lap.

"So the end result was that you were desk bound after the incident on Bespin. Explain your duties there. If possible, include areas of influence, fields of operation, and any involved parties. Agents dispatched, superiors attached to orders."

Eluna placed a hand on Xanatos' shoulder.

"I understand it may be a lot to ask, but the quicker we're settled here, the sooner you can get back to your studies. I'd rather not inconvenience you more than I have to."

Xanatos Etanial
Apr 18th, 2015, 01:38:33 PM
He knit his hands together and considered the question. "I will answer to the best of my abilities, Ms. Thals. I was initally placed into the data management pool as I said, my immediate superior was Col. Jarred Antiran, I served under him for roughly 6 months, and was..."

Xanatos continued, speaking freely to the extent he could remember each event, transcribing events of importance that had stood out. More than an hour passed, and the knight in the corner jerked upright, drawing attention away from the conversation occurring between the Alliance Intelligence officer, and the former Imperial one.

The Knight straightened and fought the urge to sigh at the fact that they were still going over a number of facts and information that was boring him to sleep. He'd thought being assigned to guard a former Imperial would have been more interesting than this, but all of this technical talk meant nothing to him.

"I'll let you wrap up, Captain." He said, hoping to hurry this process along as he walked to the door. "Give a knock when you are finished." He had supervised most of the visit, and if he didn't get a cup of stimcaf before too much longer he'd be useless for the rest of his shift. He exited, locking the door behind him. He'd just be down the hall, afterall, and it was becoming apparent that Xanatos had no interest in trying to leave.

Xanatos watched him go, giving a soft shrug at the Knight's actions before turning back to Eluna. "Should we continue - or would this be a point that you'd like to break at? It seems we may be boring our chaperone."

Eluna Thals
Apr 18th, 2015, 01:52:45 PM
Xanatos had been a fount of information. Most of it by this point was too stale to be practical, but there were some mentions of assets they still knew to be in play, and operational priorities within Imperial Intelligence that could be exploited. Surely his code clearances were by now void, although Eluna gathered any pass keys he could recall in the rare chance a clerical misstep may have allowed them the use of a back door.

"I think we're just about done here, Mr. Etanial."

Eluna didn't stand, however. They were alone for once, and the Alliance operative felt the vacancy allowed her to speak somewhat more candidly.

"You've got a unique insight into Imperial operations. It would be a shame if that talent wasn't put to use. While you stay on Ossus, I hope you consider the possibility of putting your skills to work for the Alliance. The war might be over, but in our line of work, it never really is."

Xanatos Etanial
Apr 18th, 2015, 02:10:15 PM
He'd expected this, honestly sooner than this and had hoped that maybe it wasn't coming. He shook his head, "Ms. Thals if I can be direct? I have no real assurance that the Alliance is any better than the Empire. While I certainly hope that is the case, I do not feel it is responsible to immediately return myself to a life that may require compromises that I am unwilling to make."

He considered how much power she likely had in his ability to be removed from this cell in the future, and shook his head despite the risk. "I will consider the offer, for a time when I can make a more informed decision, but for the moment I must decline."

Eluna Thals
Apr 18th, 2015, 02:31:55 PM
The Machine filed away Etanial's file under Prospect, making no further attempt on the matter. He'd be observed, and if there was a change in his situation, he may yet be more receptive to recruitment.

"I understand. It's been a harrowing journey for you, Mr. Etanial."

Eluna rose to her feet, offering a hand to shake.

"Thank you for your cooperation. This should conclude our debriefing. I may have additional questions later, but nothing further at this time."

Xanatos Etanial
Apr 18th, 2015, 03:46:31 PM
He too stood, taking her hand and shaking, bowing ever so slightly as he did so in respect. "It has been a privilege, Ms. Thals. If you do need me for anything, well, I'm very certain you'll know where to find me."

He smiled brightly and returned to sitting on the floor, for more contemplation and meditation, though caught himself before she had a chance to leave, "Ah! And, if you could possibly put in a word for that reading material? I would be ever so grateful."

Eluna Thals
Apr 18th, 2015, 04:03:53 PM
A furtive smile responded to his observation of knowing where to find him. Certainly, the Girl and Machine were of one mind. As she put a hand on the door to knock for exit, Eluna turned a shoulder back to the former Imperial, nodding in understanding.

"I'll make sure you have something to pass the time. Thank you again, Mr. Etanial."

Finally knocking, Eluna waited for the Knight to open the door to her and permit her exit.

Xanatos Etanial
Apr 18th, 2015, 04:22:47 PM
Xanatos watched the door finally open and the Knight step in to inspect the room, careful to be sure that nothing was out of order before stepping aside and allowing the Alliance agent to leave. He closed his eyes and thought on everything he had done while an Imperial, he could never remove those stains, but perhaps he could reflect on them, grow from the experiences. He still had much to learn.

-- Some days later --

Ms. Thals had come through with her promise of finding him something to pass the time with. A collection of Flimsi, some bound, some loose covered the entire mattress, the bedroll and pillow had been moved, spread out on the floor, where Xanatos had taken to sleeping. The bed itself had transformed into a desk, which he now knelt at, reading through the collected work. Some of it fiction, some of it philosophy, he'd even been allowed a few copies, not the originals mind you, of some Jedi texts to study from.

He let out a long breath, eyes closing as he thought over the collected volumes. Even in so short a time, he was finding a surprising level of inner peace with his surroundings. For the first time in his life he truly felt free, even if he were still a prisoner.

There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force.

He meditated on the words, looking inward to try and and find the reflection within himself for each teaching.

Akasha Khan
Apr 18th, 2015, 05:50:32 PM
Xanatos's studies were interrupted by a hollow rapping at the metal hatchway, followed by a feminine voice with a purring lilt calling through, "Lunch!" Without further preamble, the door locks p-chunked free and the door rocked inward, admitting a black-furred felinoid in a red vest and trousers bound below her knees with linen wraps, down to the ankles of her bare, padded feet. The feline held a tray in her paws with a meager offering from the mess hall: a bowl of quivering, coiled noodles bathed in a questionable cheese sauce and a sandwich of cold nuna salad, along with a carton of iced Dantaari tea. At the small of her back, just above a freely swaying tail, was the ebony-lacquered haft of a saber staff in a contact holster.

Akasha Khan looked at the blue-haired prisoner, then down at the ongoing literature review scattered across his bed, and back at Xanatos again. "Where do you want it?"

Xanatos Etanial
Apr 18th, 2015, 06:02:23 PM
His own attention turned to the 'desk' he had taken to using then the floor which now housed everything that had once been on the bed, and many of the flimsis were now migrating toward, there was very little free space left from where he slept and where he studied.

"Ahh... well, hmmm." He looked to the small bathroom facilities and thought better of it, then back to the mess, "Hmmm, what if... no..." then back to her with a resigned sigh, outstretching his hand.

"Perhaps I should just take it?"

Akasha Khan
Apr 18th, 2015, 06:05:25 PM
Akasha shrugged. "That works for me."

She extended the tray towards him, paused halfway to his hand, and lowered her head with narrowed eyes.

"I am watching, by the way. Just in case you feel like trying anything."

Xanatos Etanial
Apr 18th, 2015, 06:19:06 PM
A soft laugh echoed out before he had a chance to stop it, and he coughed to force it away, holding up his other hand apologetically. "I am not laughing at you, I promise. I just, I find this all quite funny. It makes sense, don't get me wrong - it's proper procedure, and it's the smart way to go about things, but... really? What am I likely to try? I came here willingly, after shooting my superior in the back - and promptly submitted to both Council and Alliance inquiry and imprisonment. If I am a spy, I'm doing a very poor job of it. Besides where am I going to go, I'm in something of a hornet's nest if I really wanted to make an enemy of anyone here."

He rubbed his chin for a moment, hand returning to reach up toward the tray as he thought. "No, this... this wouldn't work. Its too obvious. Every eye in the compound is well, like you yourself said, watching. I'm not likely to be able to breath without setting off someone's alarm. No, no. If it were me." He thought about it, piecing together his time in Imperial Intelligence, knowing the procedures that they had used to get agents in position, to slip inside sources into sensitive locations or find the right contacts, "If it were me? I'd get someone young, without a history that would work against them and establish them as a spy. Maybe a Padawan. Who are you more likely to trust, miss, the person you've been training beside since your first day here, or the former Imperial who wandered in swearing he wanted to reform?"

Akasha Khan
Apr 18th, 2015, 09:37:27 PM
Okay, that was... that was a little spooky. And Akasha couldn't help the sudden stiffening in her spine and raising of her hackles. Where had this prisoner come from?

"Are you trying to recruit me?" she asked archly.

But in spite of her posturing, she set the tray in Xanato's waiting hand and moved to sit against a section of the desk - well, pushed some flimsies into a pile, first, and then sat on the edge. Her tail swayed high, and there was a devious glint in her eyes.

"You realize you're talking to an Orryxian? Treachery and double-dealing are like walking and breathing to us. I don't get much chance to flex those muscles among the Jedi, so let's play."

Her tail rode high, which was just as well - otherwise it would have carelessly swept the desk clear as it snaked from side to side.

"If I were your spy, what would you want to know?"

Xanatos Etanial
Apr 18th, 2015, 10:05:31 PM
He was about to assure her that he had no interest in a spy of any type, but the way talked about it as 'playing' and frankly the complete lack of social interaction for several days made this an interesting distraction. He eyed the food, taking a fork to the noodles with a way glance.

"The first thing I'd want you to find out is who was trying to kill me with the menu." He pushed a few flimsies aside and sat the tray down, pulling his knees to his chest as he watched her. "I suppose after that would depend on what I was after, and who I was. Let's go from the position I used to hold as an example. As a member of Imperial Intelligence I'd likely want an array of data, mostly security related." He thought, running a hand through his hair to pull it back from his face, "Maybe know the number of forces in play as a start. Number of Padawans, Knights, Masters. Get an understanding for the size of the resistance I'd have to work against. Find out what potentially sympathetic assets are in play. People who could be turned to our cause, or at least manipulated to be a lesser degree of threat."

He felt a chill ran through him as he finished the thought. It'd been distressingly easy to slip right back into the life he'd just turned his back on, and consider the Intelligence of the situation. He let out a soft sigh and closed his eyes. There is no emotion, there is peace. He steadied himself, it was just a conversation. This wasn't who he was anymore, but he couldn't hide from the fact that it had been at one point.

"But, let's turn that on it's head. That's what I'd want as an Imperial. Imperial's aren't the only threat the Jedi face - if you were a spy, what information would you think you should get?"

Akasha Khan
Apr 18th, 2015, 10:38:57 PM
Akasha shrugged and began examining the claws of her left paw, one-by-one. "Most of the Jedi's enemies would want the same information. Numbers. What skills they're teaching. The progress of the build crews. Of course any information on the Council would be worth some real credits. It seems no one knows what their long-term plans for the Order are. Not even other Jedi."

The Orryxian turned over some of the flimsies lying beside her on the desk, frowning as she read a few lines. "Looks like you're after some information of your own."

Xanatos Etanial
Apr 18th, 2015, 10:46:08 PM
He chuckled at that, picking up one of the flimsi bound volumes that had made its way onto the floor to flip through it. "Let's call it catching up on lost time." He flipped through the thin, clear pages and read over a few lines. "I have known I was an adept since I was 13 years old, and the Elders of the Church identified me with the gift. They actually asked my mother if she thought I should serve the Church, as was my people's custom. Of course she said no." He tossed the book to one side.

"Would you believe that until I met with the council I was not aware that the Dark side of the Force was anything more than a phrase used to excuse one's actions?" He shook his head, "I am guilty of many things, my young Jedi friend, ignorance among those. So yes, I suppose I am after information."

Akasha Khan
Apr 19th, 2015, 03:51:14 PM
Thirteen years old - Akasha did the necessary conversion into Orryxian years to put that into the proper perspective. Assuming this fellow's resemblance to a human being was more than just passing. She'd never seen a human with blue hair before.

"The Church?" she said. "I've never heard of that Order. Are they much like the Jedi?"

Xanatos Etanial
Apr 19th, 2015, 03:57:14 PM
He laughed a bit at that and smiled at her. "No, well..." He knit his brow and considered, "Actually, they did teach much in the way of self-control through meditation, if I remember services correctly. But, not an order directly like the Jedi, no. They were... The Church of the Divine Ancestor. The holy men of my people, just a Religious order. The church elders are picked from candidates amongst the people who are touched by the gift. They dedicate their lives to the teaching of the Church and to the service of the common folk. Mother wasn't terribly religious, though, so when I was identified as having the gift she opted to simply ignore their requests."

Akasha Khan
Apr 19th, 2015, 03:59:38 PM
"Sounds horribly boring," Akasha replied, and then she grew pensive. "Sorry, was that culturally insensitive? Yeah, sounds really, really boring. I think she made the right choice."

Xanatos Etanial
Apr 19th, 2015, 04:04:41 PM
He let out another laugh, genuinely enjoying any amount of company right now. "I suppose you're not wrong, but then again the last time I went to services I was - well - 13 years old. What kid wants to sit and listen to old men drone on about their..." He paused a bit, suddenly wishing he had paid more attention. "soul." He finished.

"Anyway, how about yourself? If we're exchanging cultural information now, I told you a bit about my people's religion, how about your own?"

Akasha Khan
Apr 19th, 2015, 04:12:13 PM
Akasha brightened, whiskers up and ears forward. "Oh, it's very practical," she said. "You see, we believe that the gods created the universe, then got bored and went off somewhere else. But first they left us a list of commandments all about how they were to be worshiped. These commandments were dictated to the prophetess Maiur, who faithfully wrote them down and then instructed us to ignore them completely."

She idly licked the side of her paw and smoothed down one of her white-rimmed cheek ruffs. "But one has to worship something. So we took the holy scriptures and use them as a guidebook on how to worship ourselves. It's quite freeing. I could probably find you a copy if you like."

Xanatos Etanial
Apr 19th, 2015, 04:18:41 PM
He considered that, intrigued if nothing else. A religion who's holy writings they'd been told to ignore? Worshiping themselves by means of these texts instead? The growing thirst for knowledge he had experienced in the last few days called out to at least learn more about this, for curiosity's sake if nothing else.

"Actually I'd like that. It sounds remarkably fascinating. Thank you..." He considered that he hadn't gotten her name, was she allowed to even offer it to him. It would be impolite to not at least ask, since they were having a conversation, "I didn't get your name, I'm sorry. I'm Xanatos." He offered a hand in greeting.

Akasha Khan
Apr 19th, 2015, 07:50:33 PM
"Oh, right!"

Akasha slipped off the desk and dwarfed Xanatos's hand with her own heavy paw. She reminded herself to keep her claws tucked firmly back - on Orryxia a little needling was a sign of respect, but humans tended to react badly to it.

"Akasha Khan, Jedi padawan. Though hopefully not for much longer."

That mischievous gleam had returned to her eyes, and she added, "I'm gunning for a promotion after watching such a dangerous and subversive prisoner."

Xanatos Etanial
Apr 19th, 2015, 07:54:33 PM
He smiled pleasantly at both the introduction and the humor. "Xanatos Etanial, Imperial defector, and apparently dangerous and subversive prisoner." He broke the handshake and gave another cursory glance at the food she had provided. "And be honest, Akasha, is the food really this bad for everyone?"

He didn't expect fine cuisine, nor did he deserve it, but it made for an interesting conversation piece, at least.

Akasha Khan
Apr 19th, 2015, 10:32:27 PM
Akasha lifted her fuzzy white chin. "Not for everyone. I do my own hunting, so I eat fresh."

She cast a dubious eye at the yellow glop in the bowl and the whitish glop pressed between two slices of wheat bread on the plate. Even if Xanatos was an Imperial defector, it almost seemed like prison brutality - the only meat in the whole meal had been processed into a salad, for Maiur's sake.

"There's also a sandwich shop that's supposed to be very good... if you can navigate the owner's complex of sanity-defying rules. And fresh fruit and vegetables from the hydroponics gardens, if you like that sort of thing. Otherwise, next time I come by, I could bring you a few tree mice, or a mantis claw. Those are good eating, and not too hard to catch."

Xanatos Etanial
Apr 19th, 2015, 10:56:38 PM
He legitimately considered saying yes to the tree mice, though it was unlikely he'd be permitted to prepare them here, and he wasn't about to dine on them without at least a proper dressing. He wasn't partial to either bone or fur. Sampling the local wildlife tartare wasn't something he was opposed to, however. Still... he would make do, he supposed.

"I appreciate the sentiment, Akasha, and maybe when I am no longer stuck behind these walls, assuming that occurs, I will take you up on that offer. It is probably best to go with..." He lifted the tray with a bit of a frown, "the prepared lunches until then though." He sat it back down and considered her. "Thank you, Akasha. You're the first person who's talked to me since I've been brought here who wasn't simply interested in gathering information from me."

Akasha Khan
Apr 22nd, 2015, 06:27:34 AM
Akasha shrugged. "I've been a prisoner before. I know how dull it can be."

Though it was generous in the extreme to suggest that her interest was for his benefit rather than to satisfy her own curiosity.

"I'm guessing if our positions were reversed, and I were sitting in an Imperial cell, this conversation wouldn't be quite so civil."

Her curiosity found a new wellspring. She remembered the day when she had first met her now-absentee master, Tionne Thanewulf, and had facetiously asked her, if the Empire was the side in power, why shouldn't she go join them instead? It was as academic now as it was then. She'd already pledged her allegiance too many times, and wasn't about to do it again.

Probably.

Xanatos Etanial
Apr 22nd, 2015, 11:06:54 AM
"I guess that depends on the time frame." He thought about it, "Now? After what I did, I'm sure I'd be in the cell beside yours, if they didn't simply execute me on sight. Before, though, no I don't think it would have been as civil." He thought back to when he'd been brought in, marched through the holding cells and detained in as humiliating a manner as possible.

"It's funny. I started my career with the Empire from a cell, you know. They arrested for being an adept, and brought in a man who said he wanted to be my friend, as long as I cooperated. He always seemed so nice..." He seemed a million miles away thinking about his 'friend' Victor Crestmere, "But I have no idea what he would have been like if I hadn't been cooperating. I know how others were treated... heard about it, read reports about it."

He tightened his lips in consideration, "No - I'd very much wager this wouldn't be a civil conversation at all. In fact, I very much doubt there would be any conversing. You'd tell simply tell them what they wanted to know, or they would find ways to convince you to do so. For as long as it took." He fixed her with a hard gaze, "The Empire is not kind to it's guests."

Akasha Khan
Apr 24th, 2015, 05:33:43 PM
"I guess you defected the right way, then," Akasha replied with a level gaze of her own. Then she began to grow pensive, an expression that didn't seem quite at home on her broad, predatory face.

"I don't suppose there's anyone you've left behind that you still care about? Anyone who might be... disappointed, or worse?"

Xanatos Etanial
Apr 24th, 2015, 07:48:03 PM
His smile faltered, lips tightening. He opened his mouth to speak but his throat went dry and he was forced to swallow.

Oriana, mother... Ric. He shut his eyes tightly at that last one, the last person to try and pull him up away from his mistakes before Master Vymes and the Jedi had allowed him this opportunity. He'd destroyed his family, but Ric... Ric had been taken from him.

"No one." he finally managed, a bit brokenly. "I really don't have anything, or anyone left." He rolled a flimsy nervously in his fingers, curling it's edges. "...Sorry. Bad memories." He smiled weakly toward her.

Akasha Khan
Apr 26th, 2015, 10:21:05 AM
Akasha frowned as she watched alien feelings waging a war on Xanatos's face. She was curious what kind of memories could produce so strong a reaction - as a rule, Orryxians didn't concern themselves too deeply with the past, unless there was a score to settle. That was what made her own tempestuous state of mind so confusing. Regrets were for weaker minds. Weren't they?

She considered probing deeper, but she knew it would be cruel, and would probably make him shut her out.

"That makes things easier, I guess," she said, hunting for a silver lining. "Easier to leave behind, I mean. Sorry, I didn't mean to..."

Her normally nimble tongue was failing her now, caught somewhere in the no-being's land between her demons and his. And she wasn't prepared to face both of them at once.

"I probably should let you get back to your studies."

Xanatos Etanial
Apr 26th, 2015, 12:52:42 PM
He shook his head at her apology, easy-going smile slowly returning, "It's alright, nothing you would have known. I appreciate the concern though, truly."

He stood and offered his hand, knowing that she really ought not stay and talk too terribly long, he wasn't even sure if the Jedi conversing with him was something the council particularly wanted. Of course he'd been told they were happy to offer insight, but it hadn't been forthcoming. Though that could simply have been word of what he had been keeping people at bay.

Maybe that would start to change now, and this Akasha was merely the first visitor like that he should expect.

"It has been a pleasure to speak with you, Akasha. Thank you."

Akasha Khan
Apr 26th, 2015, 04:47:56 PM
"You're welcome," Akasha said. At least the rigors of basic humanoid etiquette made thateasy enough to parse, even if she normally used etiquette as a tool to get things from people. She wasn't sure what she had gotten from Xanatos, or if it mattered. Maybe, once in a while, bringing a little happiness to someone's day was its own reward?

Ha, as if.

"See you around, Xanatos Etanial." She slipped out of the little cell and back into the company of her own thoughts.

Xanatos Etanial
Apr 26th, 2015, 05:29:57 PM
He watched her leave, returning to sit silent on the floor of his cell for a few minutes, surrounded by the flimsies and study materials he had been given. He finally let out a sigh and closed his eyes once more.

There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force.

-- More than a week later --

He rested his head against the cell wall and closed his eyes, his living space had slowly shrank as the flimsies had been scattered around, The walls were now covered in individual pieces, pulled from the bound volumes. Notes and annotations were drawn on every page. He had read everything in the room at least once. He may not have understood all of it, some of it deeper philosophy than someone just learning the truth of the Force, but he had put down every thought he'd had on what he'd read, noted every feeling the words had brought up. The introspection had been a good catharsis for him - but he was hungry. It wasn't just the lack of a proper meal, usually picking at what was delivered to him and then letting the rest be removed by the guards after he'd had enough - it was the lack of a next step.

He reminded himself of the serenity he needed. Of the patience he had to maintain. This was not a short process, and he could not have any expectations of when he would be allowed, if he would be allowed, to leave this cell. Still. He tapped his head back on the wall a few times before staring at the ceiling.

Teagan s'Ilancy
Apr 26th, 2015, 07:00:30 PM
Word had of course traveled down the perriberryvine of Knights and Padawans almost the same day that the blue-haired man had come to Ossus. But it wasn't just the fact of his presence or hushed whispers of his past association with the Empire. It wasn't any of the murmurings that he had defected. No, it was something else that'd caught her attentions; something that she'd heard in passing. Something that had stopped her in her tracks and left her blinking in mild surprise. She spent many long days trying to find out as much as she could about him and what'd exactly happened on Zeltros. It wasn't exactly an easy task. She'd at least been able to find out his name; Xanatos Etanial.

So when it came her turn to deliver his lunch, Teagan accepted the given tray with a healthy amount of pity. A small bowl of mushy field peas, a thinly-breaded nuna breast, a medley of diced tubers and other steamed vegetables, and a single red apple. Frankly, it looked... well it looked horrid. Still though, she thanked the mess staff, turned on her heel, and as soon as she was out the door, upended the entire tray into the outside rubbish can before daintily setting the now-empty tray on the 'tray return' shelf that was fit snuggly over the top of the trash bin.

That done, Teagan made her way towards the deli. He would know what a man cooped up for weeks needed.

- - -

With a grease-stained paper bag in each hand, Teagan paused at the locked door of what had become Xanatos' cell. She looked to the guard posted, and the older man only gave a nod before pulling the lock and letting her in.

Stopping just inside the threshold, Teagan blinked in no small amount of shock at the state of things. She let out a huffed breath.

"So... "

Gods but the sheer amount of paper and notes and books! It was almost like her mother had come through!

Pulling a suddenly stern face, the young Lupine lifted up both bags.

"Lunch."

Xanatos Etanial
Apr 26th, 2015, 07:59:25 PM
His head rolled to the side so he could look at the new entrant without having to remove his skull from it's resting place against the wall, just on the verge of letting his guest know she could leave the tray, as he had done before, for him to pick at. His eyes focused, however on two bags in her hands, both slick with blessed grease, and very clearly not his standard tray. His head was upright from it's previous resting position a moment later, eyes narrowing in a look of confusion and slight suspicion. What could he say though, his lips pursed together and he nodded his head slowly.

"Lunch." He repeated back, standing and going to the desk, what had previously been his cot and began stacking volumes of flimsy, and some newly acquired paper and ink books to one side, allowing a small sitting space. He looked at it, appraising the available space, and decided it would have to do. There simply wasn't more space to pull from anywhere without a complete overhaul of his notes and studies. He turned to face her and gave a small polite nod, offering to relieve her of one of the bags, at least.

"Has the Force finally delivered me from the tyranny of food prepared en masse?" He smiled warmly at his culinary savior.

Teagan s'Ilancy
Apr 26th, 2015, 09:17:02 PM
"Well, I dunno about delivering you from anything... "

She gave him both bags.

"... you owe me five credits."

Xanatos Etanial
Apr 26th, 2015, 09:57:48 PM
He blanched, caught off guard by both the movement and the words, and fumbled over his words. "I... um... really... don't have it." He offered apologetically, "Sort of don't have anything but the clothes on my back, and... well these..." he motioned at the strewn about research materials, "but they're not really mine, I suppose."

He considered handing back the bags, but the smell from inside set upon his stomach like a steel trap unwilling to release it's captive. "...Will you take an IOU?"

Teagan s'Ilancy
Apr 26th, 2015, 10:13:45 PM
With an expression of deep thought, the young Lupine seemed to consider this. Finally, she gave him a suddenly shy smile.

"I guess."

Another quick look around at the clutter and she wrapped her arms around herself while squatting down to look at his scrawled notes.

"You shoulda seen what they gave me to bring you. It was horrifying."

A gesture to the bags.

"Got you a Tarkin with extra pastrami, and a nuna salad."

Xanatos Etanial
Apr 26th, 2015, 10:23:21 PM
"Oh I can guess what they gave you. I probably sent it back yesterday." He laughed a bit, before getting a quizzical look "A... Tarkin?" He said raising an eyebrow as he sat back down in the clear space on the floor, and pulled out the first item, the sandwich, wrapped in grease-stained white paper, he flattened out the bag as a makeshift plat and sat it down, taking a moment to admire it.

"You're going to have to humor me." He smiled, picking it up and fighting the urge to simply immediately devour it, "What is a Tarkin sandwich?"

Teagan s'Ilancy
Apr 26th, 2015, 10:30:27 PM
She looked up as he unwrapped his sandwich.

"Well, I don't know about the name; someone told me that he was some Imperial that died. But the sandwich is good. Thick pastrami toasted with a slice of Caridan cheese and a mess of Corellian slaw."

Again the shy smile.

"It's one of my favorites."

Xanatos Etanial
Apr 26th, 2015, 10:34:39 PM
He had already bitten into it, and if ever there was proof that the Force was real and had a plan for him it was in the fact that he had lived long enough to be here and enjoy this sandwich. He nodded enthusiastically, mouth full as she said it was one of her favorites. It was already certain to be one of his. He swallowed and sat it down for a moment, brushing his hands against each other to remove a few spare crumbs. The suspicion returned to his eyes.

"I'm very grateful for this." He said slowly, "But... I can't help but think - this is either an exceptionally kind gesture... or there's something on your mind." He cocked his head slightly, "My name Xanatos Etanial." He offered his hand, "I don't think we've met."

Teagan s'Ilancy
Apr 26th, 2015, 10:44:32 PM
Still crouched, Teagan looked at his offered hand, and slowly she took it.

"I've heard your name from some of the other folks around," an blunt, yet honest statement, and she let her eyes travel up to meet his own.

"I'm... Teagan."

Her hand pulled away then, and she sent her gaze away to settle on the multitude of flimsis and even a few datapads.

"Maybe." A huffed breath from her nose, and she angled a look back to Xanatos.

"I heard 'bout what you did, on Zeltros I mean. And, well... I wanted to thank you."

Xanatos Etanial
Apr 26th, 2015, 10:52:00 PM
His brow knit at that. It felt weird to hear it out loud, he really hadn't felt like he'd done anything that he should be thanked for, it was... the right thing to do.

"The Marrs... didn't deserve what was going to happen to them, I did... I did what I believed was the right thing. That's all." He took another bite of the sandwich, chewing as he remembered the events and Dargus inevitable death. He swallowed, "Besides, it didn't go quite as well as I'd hoped. People still died."

Teagan s'Ilancy
Apr 26th, 2015, 11:01:53 PM
For a moment she looked confused, and she gave a slight shake of her head.

"No, not that."

She'd heard plenty of times how the mission on Zeltros had gone, and it always seemed on each telling that the story changed; was distorted just a little bit.

She bit the inside of her lip.

"I heard about how you... you shot that Imperial." Her bangs fell forward into her eyes than, and she reached out to pull a flimsi toward her.

"When you did that," she swiped her errant locks back behind an ear, "... you saved my dad."

Xanatos Etanial
Apr 26th, 2015, 11:15:49 PM
He looked at her, confused... and then his expression widened, eyes bright in recognition. "You're... oh." He leaned forward a bit, trying to parse that. He hadn't expected that Master Vymes would have a daughter. The shot... he'd shot his superior, a man who had been intent on killing both Master Vymes and himself on the metro line.

He leaned back and considered that, he'd had a... flash of something, a vision perhaps just before it. "I wish I could tell you I was satisfied with that fact." He tightened his lips, "But that choice, even though I know it was the right one - that it saved your dad - still cost a man his life. I'm very glad I was able to save your dad, Teagan, don't get me wrong. But I don't feel like I should be thanked for that."

Teagan s'Ilancy
Apr 26th, 2015, 11:22:49 PM
"Whether you think you deserve it or not, I'm still thanking you."

There was a curt tone to her voice then.

"I thought it was important enough to buy you two sandwiches, which in the grand scheme of things isn't a very good way to pay you back."

A finger came up to reach out and jab him firmly in the chest.

"So until I can come up with something better, sandwiches it is."

Xanatos Etanial
Apr 26th, 2015, 11:25:16 PM
He laughed. He didn't mean to. He didn't want to offend her, but... he did. There was just something funny about the entire exchange. He raised a hand, and smiled apologetically. "I don't suppose I can argue with you, in that case. Sandwiches it is."

He raised the 'Tarkin' to her in salute. "Very good sandwiches at that."

Teagan s'Ilancy
Apr 26th, 2015, 11:36:41 PM
Fixing him with a stern look, Teagan slowly nodded.

"Glad you like it."

Dropping the flimsi back down to the floor, she rose to her feet.

"I don't know when I'm next on the schedule to bring you lunch, but I'll make sure to have more sandwiches instead of the mess hall food whenever I do."

Xanatos Etanial
Apr 26th, 2015, 11:43:24 PM
"Thank you Teagan. I mean that, thank you."

He looked around the room, and considered the facts, considered what had happened, knowing she was about to leave. He sighed a bit, and closed his eyes.

"Can I tell you something?"

Teagan s'Ilancy
Apr 26th, 2015, 11:47:50 PM
She stared at him, hands shoving into the front pockets of her trousers as her expression softened a small bit.

"Sure."

Xanatos Etanial
Apr 26th, 2015, 11:52:47 PM
"Your father saved my life, too." He looked toward the wall. "On Zeltros, after I'd seen Mrs. Marr and her daughter off, and said goodbye to him. I... had no intention of leaving that planet. Not alive."

He looked at her, locked eyes to be sure she understood what he meant, and nodded slowly.

"Your father talked me out of that. Told me there was... still a chance for someone like me. That's the whole reason I'm here at all." He let out a long sigh, "He's a good man." He nodded slowly, "Thank him for me, if you would?"

Teagan s'Ilancy
Apr 27th, 2015, 12:03:02 AM
She understood the weight of the words that bridged the space between them and Teagan nodded solemnly.

"I will."

She blinked, head dipping one last time in acknowledgment before she stepped back to the door, "I promise."

Xanatos Etanial
Apr 27th, 2015, 12:05:10 AM
He only nodded, a small smile coming across his features as she moved to leave. "Thank you."

He picked the sandwich back up and raised it toward her before taking another bite and watching her leave.