PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking to put together an Indie game development team...

Peter McCoy
Nov 16th, 2014, 07:54:20 AM
I've had Game Maker Professional Edition sitting in my Steam library for months and months now and the time has come to start actually using it.

While I am prepared to try and do everything myself - game mechanics, art, sound - I'd much rather put a small team together to bring in skills that I'm lacking in. namely art and sound/music.

If anybody is interested in - initially - creating some basic prototypes for fun above all else, with a view to eventually creating something that could potentially be made commercially available (I have the license to sell what I make in Game Maker).

This is very much a fledgling project. I have some ideas floating around that have the potential to be turned into interesting games. But the minute-to-minute gameplay needs to be conceptualised and tested before anything definite comes about. I'm not an expert when it comes to Game Maker. I've ran through the tutorials that ship with the game and started tp check out some Youtube stuff that seems really helpful. This will be very simple stuff to start out with. Graphically I'd like to keep things sprite-based 2D as opposed to messing with a 3D engine or associated effects. The main thing I'd like to achieve is to develop something that's small enough in scale and complexity to actually be completed, while at the same time be a fun, compelling game that people would want to try out.

I guess we'll see where this all leads but I'm just looking for like-minded people. In fact, one idea in particular could call for a number of additional writers regarding plot and story but I can always ask for contributors for writing any time on here. So again, anybody who either has skills/experience to make some decent 2D sprites, or create music/sound effects, or even people with direct experience of coding/Game Maker in particular and fancies doing something for fun and seeing where it leads, give us a shout in this thread.

I envision the team creating games such as platformers like the 8/16-bit Mario and Sonic games, as well as (or even hybridised with) more adventure/point'n'click games like Lucas Arts did back in the 90's (Monkey island/Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis) and even some JRPG-style roleplaying games like the early Final Fantasies and Pokemon. Side-scrolling or top down (think Zelda: Link to the Past) or whatever. Again, this project hasn't even started yet and everyone would have input into what we create.

Dragon
Nov 16th, 2014, 10:20:37 AM
While I don't know how much time I'd be able to commit to such a project, I might be interested in contributing a few tracks of music. I love video game music with a fierce passion, especially from the 16-bit era, and I'd love to give it a try!

It would be a couple weeks at the earliest before. I could possibly start working on anything, but I'd be happy to talk ideas with you.

Peter McCoy
Nov 19th, 2014, 02:08:46 PM
Awesome dood, thanks for showing your interest. Music was my biggest weakness. At least with the sprites, I can create something functional albeit basic. But with the music, I wouldn't know where to begin myself. My fallback would be to use http://freemusicarchive.org/ as there's some great royalty-free stuff on there, but it'd be better if it was all created specifically for the project.

Have you got anything of your own that I can listen to?

Dragon
Nov 19th, 2014, 03:18:29 PM
I have a Soundcloud account, but I've only uploaded a handful of things there so far. I'll put up some more stuff when I get the chance, but for now you can listen to these. Most of my music has been cinematic orchestral stuff, but I've dabbled in things like RPG fight themes and MIDI arrangements of classic video game tracks.

https://soundcloud.com/stormfire/

I'll have to look up some resources on how music is handled in Game Maker, and how best to create looping tracks, because I honestly have no idea about any of that.

Peter McCoy
Nov 21st, 2014, 06:04:18 AM
I'm assuming I have to sign up to that site to listen to your stuff?

Dragon
Nov 21st, 2014, 08:35:59 AM
No, all the tracks up there are public... Are they not working for you? I just tried accessing them without signing in, and they played fine.

I could email you the MP3s if Soundcloud isn't working.

Peter McCoy
Nov 21st, 2014, 01:33:25 PM
I'll have another go later on when I'm home.