PDA

View Full Version : Secret Santa Signups 2014

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 23rd, 2014, 10:59:05 AM
If anyone is interested in doing Secret Santa this year, post so here! Please indicate if you're ok with mailing things internationally or not. I will leave sign ups open for a month (or until the whole site is signed up?) and then pass out the names. Gifts should cost no less than $15 and no more than a zillion dollars.

When you post, send me a PM with the address you will want to receive your gift at.

All gifts must be sent by December 22nd, 2014, if you sign up and can't get it out by then you should PM me so I can let your Santee know you're late and generally a terrible person. ;)

Santa List:
Holly
Christin

Kaman
Charley
Andrew
Dee

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Oct 23rd, 2014, 12:41:22 PM
I want in on this. I have presents from last year that my lazy butt hasn't mailed yet, so while my mailing list will be larger, I'm still game to participate ^_^;

Ilias Nytrau
Oct 23rd, 2014, 12:57:17 PM
Sure, I'll do this. Been a few years!

Michael Cline
Oct 23rd, 2014, 01:41:57 PM
I love secret santa! Count me in as well.

Charley
Oct 23rd, 2014, 03:25:13 PM
Absolutely would like to do this

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 23rd, 2014, 04:42:43 PM
I want in on this. I have presents from last year that my lazy butt hasn't mailed yet, so while my mailing list will be larger, I'm still game to participate ^_^;

If you're too lazy to send presents in the mail don't sign up!

If you promise to do better, I guess it's ok. ;)

Dragon
Oct 23rd, 2014, 07:49:30 PM
Count me in! I'd prefer not to go international, because shipping is expensive. ^_^;

How do people generally choose these gifts? Do recipients offer any sort of input, or is it just a guess on the part of the giver?

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 24th, 2014, 10:36:35 AM
Everyone can make a post of their general interests to give the Santas an idea. Like "love sci-fi/fantasy books, impressionist art, hipster suspenders, hate the color orange and college football" or whatevs.

If you get a Santee you still aren't sure of what they like you can PM me and I'll facilitate contacting the Santee for more information.

p.s. Thank you Matt for being the only person who signed up who also PMed me their address/po box.... :)

Ilias Nytrau
Oct 25th, 2014, 03:05:12 PM
Well, since Holly's said it - I'm usually quite content with books (including cookbooks YESSSSSS), games, and puzzles. Or really nerdy/geeky things I can pin up on my walls when I'm in a place all my own, again! Or nerdy/geeky things in general. Or stuff that's made personally or... yeah, so easy to shop for.

In fact, you can cut out shipping entirely, if you take note of the fact that I have a Steam wishlist that's probably a mile long. I am that easy.

Carré Inirial
Oct 28th, 2014, 07:56:42 PM
Ooo! I'd like to participate this year :)

Charley
Oct 28th, 2014, 11:19:09 PM
I'm okay with international shipping, unless you want alcohol. USPS is stupid.

As for stuff I like, I'm a foodie. If there's anything you've got that's local, special to you, or bizarre, I'm interested. That includes homemade goods if they can survive the mail. Also no secret, I love beer. If you go that route, I'd much prefer something from a little scrappy craft brewer that maybe doesn't distribute far from your hometown, rather than the biggest local label you've got. I love to try things I'd otherwise never get to try, or otherwise only if I flew to wherever you're at to do so. Wine is also okay although I really don't have the refined palate for picking wine the way I can beer, so I definitely lean closer to the former. If you have a local spirit by chance, that's also cool (Unless it's moonshine because honestly I'm from the south and we kind of have a lock on that. Besides there's only two kinds of moonshine - evil smooth moonshine, and vicious gasoline butthole moonshine)

If you send me a consumable and it's something that means something to you, I'd love a little note telling me why you chose it and why you like it. Maybe it's tied to an experience you had or something. Maybe the cookies I got were your great grandma's recipe. I love stuff like that.

Kitchen gadgets and gear probably not so much. I'm trying hard to think of something I need that I don't have. I do love cookbooks, but if you want to send me a cookbook, make sure it's something extremely regional and obscure. I don't need anything from a celebrity chef and I don't need a gimmick or over-broad cookbook (cuisine of [insert your entire country here], ten thousand recipes using beer). Again, taste of place is very important to me.

Beer paraphernalia is always nice. Again, local stuff only please. I wear XXL shirts if you go that route. If your brewery does stuff like toques or scarves these are also a good idea because I'm bald and winter (even in Alabama) can be cold to my noggin. A lot of breweries make tin tackers (metal signs) that you can hang on your wall and I've been covering my entertainment room with them. I really don't need any pint glasses or bottle openers or anything like that.

I'm also big into bay rum. It's the manliest fragrance on earth. Aftershave, soap, body wash, beard oil, anything's good with bay rum. In fact I just ordered some from amazon and I guarantee I'll want more.

Also insert a clause about ignoring all this crap if you think of a better gift idea and figure it'll be good for me. These are only my preferences after all, and I appreciate the thought that you put into your gift giving.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 29th, 2014, 11:22:06 AM
I like books and stuff. Specifically book 2 of The Stormlight Archives, and the latest Discworld and Dresden files books...

or or you know, whatever. I'm not particular and I like surprises!

edit: also I have a Kindle and The Way of Kings as an ebook, so Words of radiance as an ebook is preferable, hardback for the others because I like my books to match omg I'm a nerd

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Nov 7th, 2014, 11:52:43 AM
I've no problem with international shipping.

Also, I'm pretty much in the 'surprise me' boat.

Michael Cline
Nov 7th, 2014, 11:56:37 AM
International shipping may be a problem for me, as money is already tight enough I had to briefly consider backing out of this all-together. =/

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 7th, 2014, 12:02:23 PM
So far the most international we have right now is Canada, it's not a problem to make sure you get someone in the US. :)

Michael Cline
Nov 19th, 2014, 03:05:00 PM
I have to back out, I'm really sorry, but my financial situation just went into the gutter.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 5th, 2014, 10:44:53 AM
Are you still doing this, Holly?

Kallachiturra
Dec 5th, 2014, 06:58:13 PM
Oh, yes, sorry, I'll PM stuff tonight please send me your addresses if you haven't.

Last chance to to get in or out!

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 5th, 2014, 11:53:07 PM
Ok, I used this site (http://namedrawing.com/index.php) and drew names and have sent them out! If you have any questions, PM me. :)

Dragon
Dec 6th, 2014, 02:22:46 PM
Going to go ahead and put up a short wishlist here to help my secret Santa out, since I usually need the help myself... If you've got an idea already, then feel free to disregard this!

Know a great fantasy/sci-fi novel series I should start reading? Get me started! I'm not nearly as well-read as I should be, and I've been looking for something to pick up. The only recent stuff I have is Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. Kindle editions are fine, but I can go either way.
A Toothless plush (from How to Train Your Dragon if you haven't seen it, you Philistine). But a quadrupedal one, not one where he's sitting/standing up like a teddy bear.
An Amiibo. I don't have a Wii U, but those are cool little figures. I could go with Samus, Fox, or Mega Man.
I can always use a new sketchbook! Bonus if you put a little sketch in the first page, regardless of your drawing skills. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 12th, 2014, 01:28:24 PM
Christin, your Santa requested your shirt size for "no particular reason;" I suspect it's a red herring.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 12th, 2014, 01:37:36 PM
I have no idea what size, lol, but when I get tshirts I usually get large.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 12th, 2014, 01:54:41 PM
I'm not sure what that means but okay!

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 15th, 2014, 02:24:44 PM
I have half of my gift sent to my Santee and I apologize but they'll probably arrive between Christmas and New Years. D:

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 17th, 2014, 01:43:04 PM
Everyone: please let us all know if you are okay with receiving alcohol/alcohol related gifts.

i am, btw, but I sort of have an in with free booze and swag so perhaps not the best gift for me. :o

Charley
Dec 17th, 2014, 02:12:17 PM
I am completely okay with booze and paraphernalia

Ilias Nytrau
Dec 19th, 2014, 12:36:05 AM
I am more than okay with booze and booze paraphernalia.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 20th, 2014, 10:36:02 PM
What is this?? Going in the mail soon, whatever it is.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 22nd, 2014, 02:17:55 PM
Our secret santa boxes are in the post and on their way :D

Arya Ravenwing
Dec 22nd, 2014, 02:19:57 PM
I'm just about to think about braving the post office line with three kids in tow.... :x

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 23rd, 2014, 02:57:44 AM
Got mine mailed - should arrive on the 29th to SOMEONE'S HOUSE

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 25th, 2014, 09:55:07 PM
Gotta say, my Secret Santa pretty much won Christmas for me :hug

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 26th, 2014, 12:47:10 AM
:eee :hug :eee

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 28th, 2014, 03:47:17 PM
Did anyone else get their gifts yet?

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 29th, 2014, 10:27:35 PM
Here's what my Secret Santa sent my way :D

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh126/silancy/trio2.jpg (http://s255.photobucket.com/user/silancy/media/trio2.jpg.html) http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh126/silancy/trio3.jpg (http://s255.photobucket.com/user/silancy/media/trio2.jpg.html)

Hardcover, too!

Arya Ravenwing
Dec 30th, 2014, 12:07:33 PM
That looks cool :p

Ilias Nytrau
Jan 5th, 2015, 03:50:38 PM
Mine just arrived! Really brightened my day! :D

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 5th, 2015, 04:41:50 PM
Pics or it didn't happen!

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 13th, 2015, 01:34:54 PM
I haven't gotten anything yet. Has everyone else gotten their presents?

Charley
Jan 13th, 2015, 02:34:14 PM
I haven't gotten anything yet

Dragon
Jan 15th, 2015, 10:45:15 PM
I haven't gotten anything yet.

That is because I am a horrible awful person who will be making amends this weekend!

Happy... early Chinese New Year?

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 16th, 2015, 06:27:50 PM
Haha, no worries. :)

Charley
Aug 25th, 2015, 01:27:43 PM
Still nothing lol

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 25th, 2015, 05:39:05 PM
I never got anything either. :(