PDA

View Full Version : Landmark

Peter McCoy
May 24th, 2014, 07:39:17 AM
This game is currently in Closed Beta and is an Early Access game on Steam.

Landmark Website (https://www.landmarkthegame.com/home)

So basically Everquest Next is currently in development, and during that development, players will be able to play landmark using the same tools the devs are using to create Everquest next. As features are added to EQN, they'll be added into Landmark, this includes story mechanics for things like dialogue and quests, AI for monsters and NPCs, combat mechanics for PVP and PVE, and more. Basically Landmark will allow players to make their own scenarios and dungeons and stories for others to enjoy and be involved in. It's not just a development kit though, it's a fully-fledged game. You can band together with other players to make towns and cities and other mega projects. And the game worlds are allegedly going to be massive, and you can play across them all, you're not limited to one. You can hop between them like servers or shards, and they're tall and deep as well as broad. It's like a Next-Gen Minecraft in some respects.

It is a tiered game and you're not in a "creative mode". That means you have to go out and gather materials to build your constructions and craft your items. You can fashion better clothing and armour, forge better weapons, assemble tools that gradually become faster and more efficient and mining or cutting or whatever, so think along the lines of Minecraft, Terraria or Starbound with their gradually progressive tiers of items.

There's an in-game marketplace where you can sell resources you've gathered and items you've crafted, as well as a real-money marketplace where you can sell virtual items for cash. While Diablo 3's real money auction house was a game-breaker in the sense that it killed the heart of the game (killing for the sake of looting) this is a different type of game with a focus on creativity so I can't right now see the real-money market as a problem - if people want to spend their money, let them!

I'm really excited for this game and as soon as I get paid I'm going to get the Settler Pack for £15 on Steam. Early Access games aren't everyone's cup of tea. But if anybody else is interested let me know - we should definitely team up and build some shit!