PDA

View Full Version : The Cave Bear's Cub

Tana Little-Bear
May 17th, 2014, 09:21:34 PM
In a small cave, hidden among the snowy crags of Coldrock Pass, a fire burned. It wasn't a large fire; just large enough to warm the stony interior and casting dancing light and shadows all about to bounce off of the meager trappings of a young woman who called this cave home. She lived alone, and the sparse furnishings that she had were the barest of essentials with a small smattering of material possessions stolen from passerby. A bedroll of wolf pelts and bear furs, a simple chair and small table, and an equally small trunk that held the few possessions of any sentimental value that she had managed to keep with her.

Tana Little-Bear sat at the edge of her fire pit, leaning over the sizzling contents of a dented skillet that held the thinly cut slices of rabbit with a smattering of wild greens tossed in to give it some sort of flavor. She poked and stirred the creation with a well-worn wooden spoon, letting the scent of her future dinner fill her nostrils. Looking to the side, she grabbed at a small handful of mushed wild garlic, tossing it into the mix as well before leaning back on her haunches. Sending blue eyes up and toward the mouth of the cave, the girl knew that the sun would soon be setting. The wind had picked up in the late afternoon, and a slight howl could be heard, though it was nothing that she paid mind to. She had gotten used to it in the half-year that she had been living here. It was not a glorious existence, and it was certainly not her old life, but it was something. That it was away from Solitude and the Empire made all the difference sometimes.

But there were some things that could never be forgotten, and certainly never forgiven. She was a fierce Nord, and determined to make the Empire pay for their crimes.

Setting the skillet on one of the pits' surrounding rocks, Tana gave a last sniff before wiping the back of her arm across her face, and rising, she made her way to the mouth of her cave.

Snow was beginning to fall, and letting one had fall to rest over the small iron dagger she carried at her waist, the girl leaned against the rock, gazing out into a world as cruel as it was cold. Perhaps tomorrow she would venture down the pass toward Morthal? Her food stores - already small - had become almost non-existent, and she would need to go gathering whatever plants that were edible, and of course she would need to check her traps for any more rabbits.

Lost in thought, the girl almost missed the distant figure beginning to materialize in the falling snow. Her grip on the handle of her dagger tightened, and she instinctively dropped to a crouch, moving so that she was no longer in plain view, but still able to see this stranger as they made their way through the pass.

Darruk gro-Khazgur
May 17th, 2014, 10:25:04 PM
The plains of Whiterun had since given way to the broken crags leading to the ascent of Eldersblood Peak, when the throng of warhorses slowed from a gallop to a trot. At the head of the two dozen horses, under the Septim Dragon banner, Centurion Darruk watched the snow blowing off the summit of Eldersblood with annoyance. Already, the light was fading, and nightfall would be on them within the next two hours.

"Well, they're Taurinius's problem now, I reckon."

The Orcish Centurion's red eyes glowered at the Legionary who spoke. Jorgen Shield-Breaker immediately thought the better of his shirking comment, finding a stone to fix his view upon rather than meet the disapproving eyes of his commander.

"No, Jorgen, they're still ours. Send a rider on to Morthal to let them know."

Jorgen sighed, turning back to whistle for a runner, who hit the trail at full pace to deliver word. The clopping of hooves against pavestones echoed and then faded as the distance grew.

"Shouldn't we billet in Rorikstead? We're not far out now."

Darruk looked back. The tiny hamlet that was the western-most outpost of Whiterun Hold could still be seen across the expanse of relatively open plain they'd already traveled.

"I haven't traveled this far to oogle milk maidens, and neither have you, Legionary. We have a mission, and our quarry are still out here."

"This close to Solitude?"

Darruk frowned darkly.

"This close to Dawnstar. Don't underestimate the Stormcloaks. They may be traitors, but they are resourceful and they have friends. Even here."

Jorgen nodded, understanding the murky situation of the war they were fighting.

"Just that I'd much prefer a straight fight than all this hide and seek."

At that comment, the Orc smiled.

"Then you're a true Legionary, Jorgen. Form up the squad. We still have fresh track, and it looks like they're headed right for the peak."

"Understood sir."

Jorgen picked up his horse's pace, waving his hand onward.

"Form to advance! The chase continues!"

Matea Antriius
May 17th, 2014, 11:33:35 PM
The wind blew the slowly falling snow past a dark cloaked figure as it watched, a few dozen meters away now, at the dim glow of a cave entrance. One hand lazily scratching into the matted fur of a mutt beside her, as she considered her options. Normally she wouldn't have ventured off the beaten trails and especially not to seek out the entrance of a cave with the Divine's only knew what inside of it, at least not for less than a hundred Septim.

But the whining of the beast beside her as the snow fell on his furry back pulled at her, and she leaned down, scratching a but rougher into his head and ears.

"You'd better appreciate this Tiberius, I don't know why I indulge you so much."

The dog just looked up at her, dark eyes wide and pleading, before his drooling tongue lolled out from one side of his mouth and caught the cold snow against it, instantly retracting back into its mouth to savor the cold water. She shook her head and pushed his head playfully to one side before standing back straight, approaching the cave entrance slowly, arms raised as her vision searched for any movement. There was no need to seem aggressive, at least not yet.

The wind caught the front of her helmet and she felt her nostrils flare, the scent of food strong against it. The dog caught wind as well, ears shifting forward ever so slightly as it trudged along the snow beside the woman. "I don't mean any harm." She stopped before reaching the cave entrance. "My companion and I are just looking for someplace warm to rest for a few moments."

Tana Little-Bear
May 18th, 2014, 12:29:46 AM
The knife was out and in her hand within an instant, but not completely brandished, and Tana narrowed her eyes as she listened to the stranger speak. She let out a slow breath, and still crouching low, shifted back a few half-steps. The stranger had a dog, and there was an air of mystery to one who wore such a helmet. But, mystery was not always a good thing; in fact, more often than not it meant danger and death. The girl frowned as she stared from her somewhat hidden spot.

Though, it wasn't long before she finally spoke up.

"I'm armed," she began haltingly, though with not a small amount of steel in her young voice.

"Don't try anything, and I'll let you in."

Matea Antriius
May 18th, 2014, 12:51:13 AM
"I'm sure you are." The voice was young, and female. It shouldn't be surprising with everything she had seen in her short life, but it still caught her off guard, and she found herself hesitating, the silence drawing out just long enough to be uncomfortable. Her fuzzy companion had absolutely no concern for decorum, and broke the tension by plodding into the cave entrance, enticed by the meaty smell of rabbit that wafted off the skillet. "Tiberius, nooo." She sighed with an annoyed lilt, arms dropping as her head tipped to one side in defeat as the dog simply did what it wanted.

She followed a moment later, strolling into the cave after the intruding canine. "I'm sorry for him." She apologized, still not seeing where the girl had hidden herself so efficiently. She grabbed Tiberius by his scruffy neck and pulled him back before he could dig his snout into the dinner that she was preparing. "He thinks with his stomach." Her own gut pinched a moment later, a rumble echoing her own need for sustenance.

Tana Little-Bear
May 18th, 2014, 01:06:40 AM
Finally moving into view, Tana made sure to stand fully, her knife purposefully visible as her eyes went from the stranger to the dog, then back to the stranger.

"Most animals do," came the eventual answer as the young Nord shifted her weight, moving slowly to stand beside her small fire. She pursed her lips, gave a last look to the snow outside, and finally resheathed her dagger. The voice coming from behind the helmet was a woman's, and though not by much, it did ease the sense of apprehension that the girl held.

She looked to the skillet, still sitting on the flat rock she'd set it on.

"I don't have much food."

She sighed, kneeling down to take up the pan once more and hold it closer to the flames.

"But I will share."

Darruk gro-Khazgur
May 18th, 2014, 01:20:10 AM
The advance pushed onward, leaving the trail as disturbed snow on the ground showed footfalls clearly deviating from the path, towards Eldersblood Peak. It wasn't long, however, before the path met an escarpment just shy of a cave, and the tracks were lost.

"Damn them to Oblivion!"

Ordering his Legionaries to dismount, Darruk made a more careful search on foot, his eyes looking for any tell-tale sign of passing footfalls. The ground was broken in many places by rock, and the snow here was more powdery than before, easily masking footsteps if the right wind were to blow.

"Not a sign, sir."

Jorgen shook his head as he returned to his Centurion, but qualified his response.

"They can't be far. Those tracks we were following were fresh. No more than an hour, I'd be sure of it."

So close. The Orc closed his eyes, exhaling a puff of steamy air from his nose as he thought it over.

"There are no nearby villages for them to quarter in. And this ground is quickly becoming treacherous. They won't want to risk crossing the mountains without taking the roads."

"There is a cave ahead, Centurion. Cold Rock Pass, if the map reads true. It's a skeever's nest of a tunnelwork, but it does lead clear through the mountain. Might be an easier cross, I'd wager."

Darruk nodded, when one of his other Legionaries suddenly burst out with "Molag's Cock!" which caused all heads to turn in the soldier's direction. The Legionary continued to curse, scraping something foul off of one of his hobnailed boots against a rock. The Orc walked over to investigate the minor distraction, grimacing as his nose wrinked at the odor.

"It's troll shit, a fat warm gob of it at that!"

Eyes immediately turned in all directions, looking for any shambling shaggy movement. The bane of mountaineers throughout the province, trolls were certainly more a nuissance than the occasional wolf or frost spider.

They also tended to fancy caves. Darruk's eyes fixated on the shady chasm some distance away.

"Trolls don't concern me, Legionary. I want those Stormcloaks, not excuses."

Matea Antriius
May 18th, 2014, 01:24:31 AM
She eased herself into a seat at the small table, holding Tiberius back, even as his drool rolled off his tongue to steam on the hot rocks surrounding the fire pit. "Anything you can offer will make my travels with this oaf that much more palatable, I'm sure. Thank you." She couldn't take her eyes off the young girl, her vision focusing and unfocusing in time with a rhythmic heart beat. Her stomach pinched again, a wince of pain accompanying it this time, and her fingers slipped off the dog. Tiberius barely seemed to notice, so used to being held back by this point he simply stay in place, expecting the hand to keep him in check.

"Can you watch him for a moment?" Her words came out a bit rougher, as she stood, gathering up a satchel at her side and walking to the cave entrance, back turned to both her fuzzy pet, and her 'host'. She leaned down, fishing into the burlap bag before retrieving a decanter, it was covered in a goat's hide, though just behind the patchy fur was the swash of something thick and red. At least this storm had been good for keeping a chill on her provisions, she raised her helmet's faceplate slowly, careful to keep the girl and her own companion at her back and brought it to her lips slowly, tipping it back. One, two, three mouthfuls. She swallowed and forced herself to stop, pulling it away with a shivering sigh. Tongue darting greedily across her lips as she capped the bottle and replaced it in her bag, needful whine escaping her lips as she let the taste, old and sour as it was wash through her, before lowering her faceplate once more.

Tana Little-Bear
May 18th, 2014, 01:47:16 AM
Only a passing curiosity made her watch as the stranger moved away, but it was an interest that was soon enough overtaken by the desire to watch over the food, and mindful of the woman's dog, Tana took up her wooden spoon, once again stirring the cooking meet and vegetables about to even out the heat distribution and cook any parts that weren't completely done. She gave the pan a little shake, unable to help the sneaking, sidelong smile at the animal so intent on what was being cooked. It was a smile that vanished however, as her gaze returned to the woman's back. It was easy enough to tell that there was drink in the hidden flask - most likely wine.

"You shouldn't be out this far with night falling," she spoke up eventually, unsure of exactly what to say.

Darruk gro-Khazgur
May 18th, 2014, 02:12:02 AM
"Strike camp here at the cave's mouth. Send a patrol, but return by nightfall. I'll lead a party into the cave and search it out. With luck, they've chosen their hiding place poorly."

Jorgen nodded at Darruk's words, and saluted before rallying his half of the squad. With six legionaries busy erecting tents and setting watch and another six mounting up to cast a wider net, the Centurion assembled his own team.

"Keep close inside. I don't expect any trouble we can't handle, but it's easy to get lost in a cave. We search together."

His men nodded in affirmation, and hoisting his own shield, Darruk held his free hand aloft, an illumination spell conjuring forth a glowing orb in his hand, which he held before him as they made their way into the cave. The first sign that greeted them was a skeleton, resting haphazardly with a bounty of mushrooms growing amid the bones. The bone was dry, and the kill must have happened some time ago.

"No sightseeing, let's move."

A grumbling sound echoed through the caverns ahead, an ominous portent of things to come. Darruk wasted no time in speculation.

Matea Antriius
May 18th, 2014, 02:30:10 AM
She turned her head slightly in the direction of the girl, fighting back a chuckle. "Sound instruction from someone so young." She turned around, flipping the satchel across her shoulder and steadying herself against the cave wall, letting her pain subside slowly. She patted her side, Tiberius' attention snapping up at the sound, and the big dog padding his way from where he sat sniffing at the girl's cooking to come to his master's side, long tail swaying back and forth as he sat at her foot, panting as she took to scratching just behind his ears.

"How is it that you're here, alone, instead of taking your own advice?" She quizzed, tilting her helmeted head slightly as she watched the girl more closely now, her thirst subsiding enough to focus once more, curiosity replacing the sensation.

Tana Little-Bear
May 18th, 2014, 11:20:37 AM
At that, the Nord girl gave a bit of a huffed, short laugh. She stirred the meal one last time, and rising to her feet she moved to the small table. The skillet was set gently onto the weathered and worn wood, letting out a lingering sizzle as the heat it held dissipated.

"I'm camping," came the easy lie.

A shrug, and her iron dagger once more came out to spear at one of the wild greens. Tana gave it a little stir so that it would bring up some of the juices that'd been cooked off the rabbit, as well as a small bit of the wild garlic. Lifting it up, she eyed the stranger while giving a careful blow to the still-steaming vegetable.

Her free hand went out to indicate the cave's interior and the sparse furnishings. "I have shelter," the knife was raised, "... and I have food."

Tana ventured a careful nibble, still keeping watch on the strange woman.

Darruk gro-Khazgur
May 18th, 2014, 11:43:51 AM
The trek through the southern neck of the pass proved to possess the usual follies of cave travel. A skeever shrieked from cover of darkness, falling upon the advancing Imperial squad. It's life ended in a strangled squeak as four gladii pierced it in unison, and the legionaries again moved onward. Darruk kept his eyes trained on the flickering stone around them, mindful for a divergent arch leading to a different tunnel pass, or signs of life in whatever means they might carry.

"Centurion, over here."

Justinius Metellus had discovered an alcove, set aside from the main passage. Within could plainly be seen a pair of bedrolls and a matching pair of empty bottles of alto wine. Set across from these was a wooden chest, which Justinius was already working on.

"Locked, sir. But it's a clumsy thing. I should have it open in just a...there we go."

The lid was kicked free in a moment, exposing the contents of the chest for all to see. Darruk reached within, pulling free a quilted cuirass and mail, with a pointed helmet. There wasn't any explanation needed for these items. They all knew what they were. Throwing the armor aside, Darruk turned once more to the expanse of the cave that lay ahead.

"Pick up your pace, men. Let's move."

Matea Antriius
May 18th, 2014, 12:19:56 PM
Tiberius whined, eyes focused on the food on the table as she scratched his head. "Go on." She said softly to the dog, patting his head in the table's direction, the dog trodding over to sit at the girl's side, tail wagging fiercely as it sat on its haunches. She shrugged at the response, turning to watch the distance through the falling snow out the cave entrance.

"I think there's more to it than that, but if you don't feel like telling me I won't push. By the Eight, I'm sure we both have secrets we'd rather not share." She fought the urge to pull her drink from her satchel again, knowing she needed to conserve all she had, but being in such close proximity to another, especially alone, was making her thirst all the stronger. "I don't suppose you'd at least share your name with me?"

Tana Little-Bear
May 18th, 2014, 12:51:47 PM
Chewing thoughtfully, Tana swallowed after a time, and with little ceremony popped the rest of the vegetable in her mouth.

Deciding that it wouldn't be endangering to her own current situation, the Nord girl finally gave a nod while venturing a careful few fingers into the pan and tearing off a small bit of the rabbit. This she tossed to the dog.

"I'm Tana."

Tearing off a small portion of the rabbit for herself, she popped the it into her mouth, tasting the garlic and greens that'd permeated the lean meat.

"Who're you?"

Darruk gro-Khazgur
May 18th, 2014, 01:06:30 PM
The legionaries pushed onward, finding little else of note for most of the travel through the caves. Occasionally a fork in the path would deviate, and it would be carefully explored. Again, the threat was minimal. Skeevers made themselves known and died without incident, and the soldiers were nearly bored with the tedium until they discovered a snaking path that appeared to dead end near a vein of ore.

That's when they saw the body. The same familiar armor, well-smeared with blood that was likewise spattered in red spray against corundum-laden rock. This Stormcloak had died a most grisly death. Justinius went about the task of pilfering the dead man for any intelligence or items of value, but Darruk was more interested in what had ended the poor fool's life. He was torn limb from limb, in such a way that showed neither the grace of a sword nor the efficiency of an axe. He cast his illumination orb on the ground, looking for enough sand or soil to betray a footfall that wasn't a stormcloak boot or an Imperial hobnail. Failing that, the Orc sniffed the air. It was dank and musty like all caves, and he could clearly smell the death on the slaughtered Stormcloak and the rank acrid piss of a skeever, but there was another odor hanging over them.

Just then, a shadow that seemed to be a distant edifice of rock moved shambling towards them.

"Frost troll!" A legionary shouted, too late. In his haste to bring his shield to bear he was batted aside, and the troll set upon him, rending him apart with the same ease as he had no-doubt killed the stormcloak. The dying legionaries shrieks carried loud in the tunnel, and the remaining soldiers formed up on their Centurion, who extinguished his illumination spell for a more practical fire spell. A glowing orange flame wicked to life in his free hand as the soldiers charged forward to meet the vile beast in combat.

Matea Antriius
May 18th, 2014, 01:24:38 PM
She turned her head to one side at the question. It was only fair, right? She'd asked the girl's name and gotten it, and she should offer her own. There was little chance that this girl would have the faintest clue who she was, but there was always the potential of her sharing the name with someone later. But this was just paranoia, what harm was there in telling a young girl who apparently was staying alone in a cave on Cold Rock Pass of all places? It wasn't as if she should expect a Dawnguard scout or Vigilant of Stendarr to wander in here, let alone Legionaries who may actually have record of her name from her life in Solitude.

"Matea." She offered, and motioned at the hungrily chewing dog, trying his darndest to make the bit of rabbit he'd been offered last as long as possible on his teeth. "And that is Tiberius."

She wondered if it was assumed she had died in the bandit assault that had seen the last of her small fortunes stripped away? Perhaps her intended husband, though she despised the word, had seen to her being declared dead to try and acquire anything of value that remained. The thought of her father's company falling into the hands of vile Riften hands, Black-Briars' no less, was maddening but unavoidable.

Tana Little-Bear
May 18th, 2014, 02:02:28 PM
For a moment, Tana thought over the woman's name - Matea. It sounded normal enough, and giving a nod the girl went back to her meal. She prodded at it with the spoon, gesturing for Matea to take a small amount. Not before she herself liberated another tear of the rabbit, of course.

"If you're hungry, eat."

Spoken while chewing, Tana turned to reach across the table and pull a carved pitcher toward herself. She upended the contents briefly, washing down the food with a healthy swallow of water. It was when she replaced the pitcher on the table when the unmistakable echoes of a scream filtered from the narrow passageway in the far depths of her cave. She'd never ventured past the little opening; rather she had taken to blocking it with whatever scrap of random wood she could find. But it didn't stop the wail that now bled through the air from down below.

Tana's mouth froze mid-chew, and she whirled to stare at the darkness that laid claim to the back of her cave. The fire sent occasional, dancing and hopping rays of light into the inky blackness, but it did little to fully illuminate the barrier that she had constructed.

An exhaled breath through her nose, and the girl finally resumed her chewing even as her blue eyes narrowed to slits.

Darruk gro-Khazgur
May 18th, 2014, 02:14:29 PM
There is a difference between a warrior and a soldier. It is one of the first things a legionary learns. A warrior dives into the fray, an eye of a hurricane seeking glory and aggrandizement and seeing little beyond the tip of his own blade. A soldier is a limb of a greater creature - that of an army. The Imperial Legion was comprised of soldiers. Warriors often encountered the difference between the two in their own destruction.

Therefore, the legionaries did not panic. Their training took over. Shields fixed in an overlapping pattern, and the ten men under Darruk gro-Khazgur did their duty, moving as a part of a great and destructive creature. The five men at the front drew their blades, save for their Centurion, who signaled the beginning of battle by casting a fireball into the abyss, which exploded against the Frost Troll in a tremendous gout of flames. Being creatures sensitive to fire, the frost troll panicked, fleeing confrontation like a scalded dog down the corridor which they were still advancing through.

"Move on me!" Darruk drew upon his magica once more, a new flame sparking to life in his hands as the din of armor jogging in formation echoed through the cave like a peel of thunder.

Matea Antriius
May 19th, 2014, 12:24:05 PM
She had been about to answer the girl, a polite "No thank you." as the offer of the food wasn't to her particular tastes. The words died on her lips, however, when the scream echoed out from the darkness behind the barricade Tana had obviously erected. Her vision focused towards it, foul air stirred up by whatever commotion was happening deeper in the tunnel. Matae wrinkled her nose in disgust as the scent hit her, the unmistakable odor of putrid burning flesh, yes, but behind it something else, something more distant but the scent growing stronger with each moment. Her eyes narrowed dangerously behind her helm, and her body stiffened briefly before relaxing, and looking at Tiberius, his own focus darting back and forth between the location of the sounds and smells, and the tender rabbit sitting on Tana's plate.

"Well. I thank you for your hospitality, Tana, but I believe its time we part ways. Tiberius, come." She gave a harsh pat on her thigh to get the dog's attention. Which she did, his gaze turning to her, and he blinked, but didn't move, sitting beside the small Nord girl. She patted her leg again, a bit harder this time. "Tiberius. HERE." Still the dog didn't move, dark brown eyes staring at her with condemnation for her intent of leaving Tana to her own fate. Matea's head tilted, irritation roiling up in her stomach, "Oh you mangy, backstabbing rancid son of a tro..." the word would initially be caught off, then screamed with far more enthusiasm as the barrier that separated the tunnels from the cave entrance erupted outward. A large, flaming, and angry frost troll throwing itself through with a scream of pain.

"...oOOLL!" She all but yelped the end of the word, immediately grabbing her war hammer from its sling across her back, and standing at the ready. "Tiberius, Tana, move!" She barked, attempting to position herself between the rapidly advancing beast and the pair.

Tana Little-Bear
May 19th, 2014, 11:54:57 PM
There really wasn't much in life that was as terrible-smelling than burning flesh and hair.

A cave that had once smelled of sizzling rabbit and greens and garlic now stunk of the sudden and swift horribleness of a troll on fire. A TROLL ON FIRE.

With wide eyes, Tana stumbled back, the skillet sent flying as she scrambled away from the flailing creature. One hand went to the hilt of her dagger, and the other held tightly to the scruff of Tiberius's neck, pulling him forcefully with her and out of the way as Matea moved towards the creature. It roared and wailed, screeching calls that were growled and gurgled in intense pain. The Nord girl knew well enough that she was no match for such a monster, even if it was ablaze, and retreated closer to the cave's mouth.

A wild swipe of the troll's arms elicited a frantic cry from Tana.

"Watch out!!"

Darruk gro-Khazgur
May 20th, 2014, 12:22:23 AM
The Imperial phalanx was quick to make gains, charging through the final length of the cave to its northern terminus. Forming up to a two abreast formation as the tunnel narrowed, the legionaries filed through the bottleneck, once again arraying five across as they denied the troll a way back. Now all they had to do was to occupy the northern cave mouth.

"Flank!"

The back row of five legionaries peeled off along the cave wall, keeping well-clear of the troll until they had again formed up at the cave's mouth. One Legionary grabbed Tana and threw her aside, hoping to keep her clear from the fight as ten gladii unsheathed in unison and began to close around the troll with singular purpose. It was a foregone conclusion now. The beast reared back to pounce, and the tightening noose of Legionaries each put a sword into the troll twice, mutilating it with frightening efficiency. Matea's warhammer was the final blow, caving in the troll skull as the bloodied and burned carcass fell with a moan.

Matea Antriius
May 20th, 2014, 12:41:24 AM
She caught a glance at the Imperial legionaries as they filed out like ants from the narrow passageway, swarming into the cave entrance and surrounding the beast. She sidestepped the swiping claws of the creature as best she could, bringing her warhammer to bear against its skull as she did so. The creature let out a dying sound and crumpled, the silence following more than awkward, it was dangerous. She was all but encircled by the heavily armed and trained soldiers just a step outside of their ranks that had formed around the troll. Tana had been thrown to the cave entrance and Tiberius was standing over her protectively, fur raised along his back as he silently watched the legionaries. She briefly considered fleeing, grabbing Tiberius, possibly Tana if she could manage and running off into the snow as quickly as she could, though she expected that was far more suicidal than attempting a diplomatic approach.

One thing was for certain, this was not a situation she had wanted to be in. Ever. She moved to re-sling her warhammer slowly, deliberate in her actions so the legionaries could be sure she didn't mean to attack them. "We thank you for your fortuitous timing, kind sirs. Who knows what that Oblivion-spawned beast would have done to us had you not arrived when you did." She turned to Tana, and motioned her towards her, making sure that she patted her leg softly with her other hand, prompting Tiberius to nuzzle into the girl's side and try and rouse her. "My sister and I are in your debt, we had just made camp for the evening to avoid the weather." Matea very, very much hoped Tana was a smart girl. A family settling down for an evening with their pet looked far less suspicious than the reality of their situation.

Tana Little-Bear
May 20th, 2014, 01:08:58 AM
Her chest rose and fell with rapid heartbeats. The troll had been a shock, but now - surrounded by soldiers of the Empire...

Her grip on the dagger stuffed in her belt tightened even more, but it was Matea's words that drew her back to the realities that stared them in the face. Tana blinked, licked her lips, and slowly let her hand fall away from her weapon as she slowly picked herself up from where the Legionary had thrown her. Her eyes darted from one battle-hardened face to the next, and the girl let out a long breath, trying to still her immediate desire of bloodletting.

Her gaze finally fell to the massive Orc, and she stared unabashedly up at him with wide, blue eyes.

Unmoving for but a moment, she felt hot tears begin to well up as unbidden memories pushed their way to the surface; memories of Imperial soldiers ransacking her home as her mother cried and her father yelled curses at them until his head was taken, followed closely by her mother's.

A step back.

And before she knew it, Tana whirled around, her feet taking her out of the cave's mouth and into the falling snow on a frantic path down the pass.

Kazahan
May 20th, 2014, 01:28:34 PM
Just a ways down the path leading out of the pass and overlooking the salty cold marshes of Morthal Hold, there was a small hunters' camp; simply two Nords with bows and quivers on their backs, sitting by a fire.

As Tana bolted around the sharp turn into the pass, the two Nords were speaking with a large Khajiit, with dark fur and lightly armored; he looked far different with his more flamboyant garb. All three of them turned to look at the girl in curiosity.

"Be careful," the Khajiit said, standing and looking beyond her and pulling what looked to be an Imperial bow (http://static-1.nexusmods.com/15/mods/110/images/13317-4-1334054415.jpg) of some kind off his back. "Frost trolls roam the upper reaches of that pass."

Darruk gro-Khazgur
May 20th, 2014, 10:54:36 PM
"Your sister, you say?"

Darruk's severe expression shifted slightly as the young Nord girl took flight - possibly overcome by the scene she'd just witnessed, but possibly something else. He looked up to two of his legionaries, dispatching them after her with a slight jerk of his head before looking back to Matea once more. The woman's face was obscured by a mask, but her accent was unmistakable in its proper inflections as Imperial. A curious sisterhood indeed.

"You've chosen a poor area to travel. These parts are dangerous enough normally, but they are also thick with Stormcloak rebels."

He dropped that revelation casually. Behind the mask, it wouldn't be readily apparent to see if she reacted, but there were other ways to respond.

"We can give you escort to Morthal in the morning, but I would advise not to repeat this mistake."

Matea Antriius
May 20th, 2014, 11:14:36 PM
She was never trying to help anyone again. She'd gone out of her way to try and deceive a way out of this situation on both of their behalf only for the fool Nord to run off into the night. That was the problems with Nords, It was act first, think second. If at all. If ever. If she wasn't busy continuing to try and get them out of this, she'd have hunted the girl down herself and demonstrated just how upset she was, Tiberius' reaction to it be cursed. The legionaire wasn't discounting her story so far, at least. Though the mention of Stormcloaks brought an audible 'tsk' from her lips, head and shoulders turning away slightly in disgust. She had never been fond of politics, and even less so of this war business.

The offer of an escort would almost be appreciated. Almost. There were a few issues with it however. That Daedra-damned Nord girl who couldn't be trusted to play her role, her supplies were already dangerously low, and she didn't trust traveling alongside trained soldiers and killers while that hung over her head, and the problem of morning. It wasn't that she couldn't travel during the day, it was just that she rather hated doing so.

"Thank you, no. Our journey takes us towards Solitude by way of Dragon's Bridge - and a further delay north to Morthal simply isn't opportune. My sister may be a bit flighty, but I assure you, kind sirs, I am of sterner stock. We'll be alright."

Tana Little-Bear
May 21st, 2014, 12:36:02 AM
Stumbling in the snow, Tana managed to stay on her feet for only a few seconds more before tumbling down into a rolling heap. Coming to rest on her side, she looked up in time to see the unmistakable forms of soldiers in pursuit, and scrambling back up, the Nord girl was off once more, heading for the small camp and its' inhabitants. One, a towering Khajiit with bow in hand, seemed to be looking past her, and she had her dagger in hand even as she turned to give another glance over her shoulder at the Imperials.

If they managed to pick the lock of her chest, they'd find all of what she held dear - her father's Stormcloak helm and the few mementos that she'd been able to salvage from the husk of the farmhouse that had once been home. It was better for her to simply run now, hoping to hide well enough in the wilds until the Imperials were gone. A stranger's camp wasn't ideal, but it was something. Tana offered a fleeting prayer to Talos even as she lost her footing once more, rolling to a stop at the mountainous Khajiit's feet and staring up at him, her chest heaving with exertion and her eyes wide and pleading.

Kazahan
May 21st, 2014, 04:41:54 AM
Kazahan met her gaze for a moment, before looking and seeing Imperial soldiers marching down the pass to the camp. At least it hadn't seemed like they'd seen the girl yet; they hadn't made the last sharp turn that brought it completely into view. He eyes sought out the Nord girl again.

"Khajiit suggests you follow," he said, turning around and nodding at the hunters. They could barely spare a return of the gesture; they were busy making sure that all their pelts and kills looked above board and not poached. "Unless this one is mistaken and you are not running from Imperial soldiers."

Darruk gro-Khazgur
May 21st, 2014, 12:28:33 PM
"The way to Haafingar is clear of Stormcloaks, at least, though banditry is still a danger."

Of course, travel in any direction in Skyrim off the main roads merited its own unique dangers. There were few avenues of safe passage these days.

"What brings you to this place?"

The Imperial looked capable of handling herself, but the Nord girl had a hardscrabble hand-to-mouth look of her. The state of their camp lent doubt that this was an organized excursion.

Matea Antriius
May 22nd, 2014, 12:01:48 AM
She lowered her hood, letting the soft torch light, and campfire dance off her helmet, finger tapping the Dawnguard emblem worked into the metal on her forehead. "We are traveling from Dayspring Canyon. I had been called to Fort Dawnguard and didn't have time to get an appropriate guardian for my sister before I had to leave. I knew she would be safest with my brothers and sisters in arms while I attended to my duties. Now, my tasks complete we are returning home."

She could almost hear Tiberius scoff, assuming dogs can scoff, at the lie. Her former role with the Dawnguard had gotten her out of some terrible predicaments in the past, and she could only hope that her bluff would be successful once more.

Tana Little-Bear
May 24th, 2014, 10:44:58 PM
A quick glance in the direction that the Khajiit looked, and Tana set about scrambling up to her feet, furiously swiping at the snow that clung to her clothing. No words needed to be said, and the little Nord moved quickly towards the encampment. There was no time to offer thanks; that would be better saved till later. There was a pang of sudden regret at leaving Matea, but now it was too late.

Gripping her dagger just a little tighter, Tana moved to crouch behind a large chest, venturing a peak from the side only as the crunching sound of feet tromping through snow became louder.

Kazahan
May 25th, 2014, 12:25:42 AM
The Khajiit and others, having prepped the camp as much as they could before the advance party of Imperials arrived at the camp, sat and continued what they were doing before the interruption. Kazahan picked up a pale shaft that was obviously the haft of a bow though its material was indeterminate, and taking a small knife, began etching into it. Already the designs were becoming intricate and evocative.

"Scrimshaw is an intensely personal act, Khajiit," one of the hunters said. "It reflects the person, the individual. It's rare enough to find one of those bows around, though shops may carry them once in a pair of full moons, but however you came upon it, you should make it your own. To use another's scrimshaw bow without making it your own — it's simply not right."

By this time, the advance party of Imperials had trudged up into the firelight, and were looking at the three archers suspiciously.

"We're looking for a little girl. Nord, about this high," one soldier held his hand up around his shoulder. "Skin clothing."

"Khajiit has seen such a one," Kazahan said, still mostly focused on the bow in front of him. "Ran past and down the slope to Morthal, it seems."

Darruk gro-Khazgur
May 25th, 2014, 06:36:31 PM
Darruk nodded guardedly at Matea's explanation.

"I see."

The Dawnguard were by all accounts a band of well-coined mercenaries, but their cause was such that even the Legates did little to rein them in. Vampires were, after all, abominations that should be driven from civilized realms and hunted down. Not even the Stormcloaks would find parlay with their cursed ilk.

Just as Darruk was about to dismiss the Imperial from further questions, his Legionaries returned from their pursuit.

"Centurion, we encountered a hunting party down the slope some distance. They spotted the Nord girl matching our description given, by all accounts headed to Morthal."

Not acknowledging his subordinates words, Darruk instead turned to the Dawnguard hunter, raising a ponderous brow at this turn of events.

"Perhaps your sister has gotten lost."

It wasn't a question. He'd caught Matea in enough of a contradiction to fully arouse his suspicions. Only now did he speak to his Legionary.

"Mount your horses and ride her down. If she resists, kill her."

Matea Antriius
May 25th, 2014, 07:06:33 PM
What was that accursed Nord girl doing? Just how big of a fool was she, running the way she had from the Legionaries was stupid enough, but running all the way to Morthal was absolute madness. Worse yet it made her entire story suspect. What sister would flee to town and leave their sibling in the hands of others? She quickly considered her options. She could attempt to flee down the passageway the Legionaries had filed out of, but they had already trekked through those caverns and she hadn't. There was no way of knowing if all of their regiment had come through, or if she would encounter resistance, and she had no desire to be hunted from behind and ahead.

She could lie further, but that could just set up a further trap if the girl continued to act in ways contrary to what would be expected. Of course she could always tell this man the truth, HAH. She had to fight the urge to chortle at the notion. The truth would see her head from her shoulders before the words finished spilling from her lips. Waiting however, wasn't an option as she had conserved her rations so tightly that trying to see it through until the end was simply an impossibility. She would need to feed again soon, or this entire situation would become even more dire.

She swore a curse under her breath towards every Nord child born with more muscle than brain, as Tana had clearly been, and let her shoulders slump. She'd have to rely on kindness from this Legionary, if there were any to be found. A measure of half-truth may see her out of this.

She spoke softly, apologetically. "Good Legionary, I have misled you. I came across this girl on my travels, and took pity upon her, fearing for her safety as she was alone. When you came through so startlingly chasing the troll, she seemed so upset I wanted to spare her further trauma from being made to answer Imperial inquiry at such a young age. I sought to call her my sister so that I may do the talking on her behalf, the truth is I do not know the girl, beyond her name. I am, however, as I have said an agent of the Dawnguard, and a citizen of Solitude. A loyal citizen of the Empire. I can only throw myself upon your mercy to find forgiveness for my deception, as it was done with noble intention."

Darruk gro-Khazgur
May 26th, 2014, 11:40:51 AM
At last, something that smelled of truth. Had she truly believed he would take the pair for sisters? Still, the response merited nothing but a draconian scowl and a low growl.

"Chose who you lie to more wisely next time, vampire hunter."

Still, clapping a member of the Dawnguard in irons was an annoyance Darruk was loathe to endure. He'd hear no end of the trouble it would cause from Quentin Cipius, who would have to deal with the ramifications, and likely be called to Castle Dour itself to explain the incident.

Darruk's legionaries began the work of policing through the ramshackle camp and its luggage, coming to a locked crate adjacent to the fire. A quick work of a lockpick and the crate swung free. Immediately, a cry of "Centurion!" came forth, which drew Darruk's attention to the opened chest and the contents within. His scowl did not relent, and the Orc stooped down to pick through the contents, pulling out the most incriminating article, which he tossed to Matea.

"You may wish to rethink with whom you place your trust."

The stormcloak helmet caught the glinting light of the fire, a confirmation of all of Darruk's suspicions.

Tana Little-Bear
May 29th, 2014, 10:16:32 AM
From her hiding spot behind the chest, Tana had watched as the Khajiit sent the Imperials back, with words of her fleeing to Morthal.

Once the soldiers were gone, the girl rose to stand, still clutching her dagger, her chest still rising and falling in a mixture of exertion, fear, and adrenaline. Her head tilted up to look at the snowy expanse of the pass that rose up above them all, at what had once been her home, now being overrun by Imperials. The Nord gave a silent snarl at the thought, and a hot tear formed in her eye before cutting an evil trail down her cheek. Wiping it with the back of an arm, Tana let out a sniff as her eyes went to the Khajiit.

Kazahan
May 29th, 2014, 02:28:02 PM
"Why do you stand there staring at me?" Kazahan asked, still mostly focused on carving a design into the pale bow. "Sit. Speak. This one has lied to Imperial soldiers for you, and your name seems a fair trade for such a deed, no?"

He paused, glancing up at the human girl, his eyes glinting in the firelight, framed by the night in a seemingly featureless black furred face. After a moment of study, he returned to his task, using not a small knife in his work, but his claws.

"Or do not. Know the Imperials will come back this way. Flee, if you wish."

Matea Antriius
May 30th, 2014, 07:25:28 PM
She caught the helmet with some measure of annoyance, though she hid it behind her helmet, not even a breath escaping her lips. Tiberius whined and she considered scolding the dog for having such horrible taste in company. She'd have been out of this cave and away from being associated with, what a Stormcloak? At her age? At least some sort of sympathizer, if nothing else. She didn't particular care for the war, or either side in it, but she was an Imperial, and these rebellious Nords were annoying in their tenacity, if nothing else.

"Point taken." She rumbled low, turning over the helmet in her hand, before looking up at the Orc. "Am I to be brought in for questioning then?" No point in avoiding the Mammoth in the room. If she were going to need to flee, it would be best to prepare for that scenario, and begin working on an exit strategy now, rather than wait.

Darruk gro-Khazgur
Jun 3rd, 2014, 12:09:36 AM
"Should I be questioning you further?"

He was willing to leave it as was, and the hunter's query was either an outburst of injury or a sign that more remained hidden. Letting his gaze fall on her for just a moment, Darruk shook his head, waving a hand at the notion dismissively.

"No, I'm inclined to believe you. Your order has a reputation for plain dealing, and to be honest, I'm not some damned constable of a hold who can be bothered with every little nuisance. There is a war on, after all."

The orc seemed to chew on his thoughts, jaw shifting a bit as he looked to the helmet in Matea's hands.

"Although, perhaps we can find a mutual benefit. If you're in need of gold and don't mind a night as a sellsword, there's a hundred septims for you if you ride with me and find this girl and her friends. That is, if the fabled Dawnguard are as capable of hunting the living as they are the dead."

Tana Little-Bear
Jun 9th, 2014, 11:17:14 PM
One last look up the snow-swept path that led to the pass, and Tana let out a long sigh. For the moment, the danger was somewhat passed, and moving to step around the trunk, the Nord girl lowered her frame to sit atop the banded lid, glancing back to the Khajiit.

"I'm Tana," she finally answered.

The knife, rather than being slid back into the leather sheath at her belt, was set in her lap.

A few more moments of silence passed before she went on.

"Thank you... " a fingertip ticked on the iron blade, "... for lying to them."

Kazahan
Jun 10th, 2014, 05:25:48 AM
Kazahan paused in his carving breathing on the bow and wiping the tiny curled shavings that had not fallen to the earth by his booted feet, but did not respond. The two Nords stood and nodded to Kazahan while giving Tana wary glances, but their caution was outweighed by exhaustion, and they were soon curled up on their bed rolls, fur blankets keeping out the night's chill.

"This one is called Kazahan, Tana fleet-foot," he said, finally. "Or perhaps should you be called Tana Bear-Cub? You were in the pass above, correct? Living in a cave like a bear?"

The bow was laid carefully on the ground beside him, and a pack was opened. A bowl and wooden spoon were retrieved, and he filled the bowl with a watery stew that smelled heavily of venison, salt, and potatoes, though there seemed to be more than enough meat in it to make up for the small amount of salt and potatoes. He turned and held the bowl out to her.

"Eat," he said. "No matter how many layers of furs one wears, one is more easily warmed from the inside out, rather than the outside in."

Matea Antriius
Jun 12th, 2014, 09:32:04 PM
Matea stiffened a bit at the question. She had managed to avoid any trouble, and just as quickly now found herself back into the thick of it. It wouldn't be hard to come up for an excuse for why she couldn't travel with the Legionaires, but at the same time a 100 septims could go a long way towards getting her supplies in the next town, and she was dangerously low as it was. She had enough for now, but she was having to carefully ration. She chewed at her lower lip, careful not to bite too hard and split it, eyes glancing under her helmet towards Tiberius, who simply whined low and hunkered down.

"I think I can spare the time to assist, at least for the night." She patted her leg, and let the dog approach, tail still down and ears pinned back. Oh he knew he was in trouble. She knelt and grabbed him by his scruffy face. "You'd best be a good boy, Tiberius, while we assist these men in this task." She gave him a gentle 'whap' on the nose, watching him wrinkle it and pull back, though his ear perked up when she didn't scold him further.

"I am at your service, my good sir." She stood, extending her hand to the soldier. "Matea Antriius."

Darruk gro-Khazgur
Jun 18th, 2014, 01:35:50 PM
Darruk met her extended arm, grasping at her forearm as she reciprocated.

"Darruk gro-Khazgur. Centurion of the Fourth Legion, Second Cohort."

Breaking the embrace, he watched as his men continued to police through the ramshackle camp, and brought his newfound deputy up to speed.

"We've pursued a band of Stormcloak skirmishers from east of Rorikstead, and up through the Hjaalmarch. I am...annoyed...at having to cross into another hold for their traitorous hides."

Just then, the clapping of hooves against stones could be heard from the cave's northern mouth. Darruk jerked his head in their direction, and headed to the exit of the cave to see Jorgen Shield-Breaker and his squad returning from a patrol of the mountain.

"I see you have passed through the cave unscathed, sir."

Darruk frowned at that.

"One casualty. Troll attack."

The Nord legionary shook his head at the bit of bad news.

"Shor's bones, they're a bane on these mountain passes. Who died?"

"Bjorn Iron-Axe." replied the Orc, knowing the connection between the two men.

"I...see." Jorgen's reply was forced and stoic. "I know his kinsmen in Dragonsbridge. I would like to be the one to tell them."

It was bad business every time, the duty of dealing with the dead. Darruk said his words in his own time to Malecath, but the Nords did things their own way. He nodded.

"At the rate this is going, I expect we'll be passing through their before long on the way to Castle Dour to explain things. Any sign of the Stormcloaks?"

Jorgen shook his head.

"Not one. We passed a hunting camp on one of the slopes. Khajit and a few Nords by the look. I didn't stop to check their camp. We had too much ground to cover."

The Centurion looked to Matea and nodded.

"We'll look into it. This is Matea Antriius, from the Dawnguard. She's agreed to aid us in our search."

"A vampire hunter?" Jorgen queried, his horse showing his confusion as it shifted its weight sligthly.

Tana Little-Bear
Jun 24th, 2014, 12:12:32 PM
She had only been able to have a small bit of the rabbit on her own fire, and so Tana's stomach rumbled and growled like a sabercat high in the mountains as her nose caught the scent of venison. Needing no other bidding, the girl leaned forward, hands going out to gingerly take the bowl being handed to her. The soup was blissfully warm, and she couldn't help the smile that came unbidden to her lips, small though it was.

"Thank you," she nodded gratefully, mindful to take the spoon.

At Kazahan's mention of names, her smile grew slightly, and spooning up a small amount of soup, she blew on it.

"My Da used to call me Little Bear, but that was when I was younger."

Satisfied that the soup was cool enough to put in her mouth, Tana did just that, chewing hungrily on a chunk of venison and swallowing eagerly.

Matea Antriius
Jul 19th, 2014, 03:51:26 PM
"And occasional sell-sword, it would seem." She amended to the title of vampire hunter the Legionnaire had given to her. "There was a misunderstanding, between the good commander and myself." She motioned at Darruk. "It only seems fitting I assist you in your cause to make amends for it. At least until our paths split." She scratched lazily at the dog who sat at her side's head and considered, before speaking to Darruk again.

"My companion, here, isn't the best tracker by any means, but he had taken to the girl before her flight, and the revelation of her allegiance. He may be able to pick up her scent." or I may though she would never share that particular information with any of the well armed, and well-armored Centurions.