PDA

View Full Version : A not-so-elegant weapon

Draiya Naaianeya
Mar 19th, 2014, 02:11:59 PM
There were many rites and rituals that a Jedi Padawan must adhere to. The ritual of constructing one's own lightsaber was quite possibly the most important of these. It was a task that could take a day, or it could take a year, depending on one's natural affinities, knowledge, and talent. Though issued a standard lightsaber for her duties as a learner, Draiya would be expected to master this task. Further, it had been an assignment of deep importance that Abarai Loki had stressed numerous times. A Jedi without a lightsaber was simply not a Jedi.

Technically it was the weekend, and while that didn't necessarily mean anything to the Jedi, the students were afforded one day a week to tend to personal matters. She'd spent time composing a letter to her mom and dad. Sent it in care of her aunt on Syragor, so hopefully it would find them well. Since getting separated from them a year ago, she hadn't seen her parents, and explaining how she had suddenly in a whirlwind of action been swept up in the Jedi Order was still not easy to explain. They were scared and worried.

With that bit of trickiness handled, Draiya headed to the Jedi Storehouse across from the Council Chamber. It was a fairly small prefabricated warehouse, its vaulted ceiling held a cluster of spot lamps that illuminated the interior unevenly. Within were rows and rows of various sundries the Jedi used exclusively. There were holocubes and datapads, stacks of Jedi tunics and robes, and assorted bits of mechanical goods. Draiya paused at shelves full of milled durasteel cylinders, power cells, wire coils, and bushings. Even these, she ignored, heading to the counter at the back of the warehouse. No one attended the counter, and seeing a bell in front of her, Draiya shrugged and tapped the plunger down, a light metallic din sounding her presence to anyone in the storeroom beyond.

What she was here for would likely not be out on some shelf like a cheap bit of hardware. After all, lightsaber crystals were rare indeed.

Rev Solomon
Mar 19th, 2014, 04:09:53 PM
At the back of the warehouse was a small but well-apportioned workshop equipped with a half-dozen benches, bins of wires, screws, and bearings, ample overhead lighting, and magnifying lamps on swingarms. Mostly the shop was for spot repairs on the electronic equipment issued to Jedi on sortie, like communicators, rebreathers, and datapads, or for training equipment like remotes, impact sensors, and holoimagers.

It was also used for lightsabers - though usually not personal weapons. Lightsaber repair, like construction, was a meditative process, and most Jedi knights did not find synthetic tile floors and sheetrock walls conducive to unbroken communion with the living Force. The dozen odd sabers sitting in the lab were all training units, low-power circuits with off-grade crystals unsuitable for use in the real thing. They were bootleg creations, hastily cobbled together from spare parts, devoid of any grace or artistry, possessing only the bare essentials of what a lightsaber needed.

And that was why Reverend Solomon had come to study them.

He gripped a child-sized hilt in his left hand, utterly dwarfing it, and examined it not with his eyes but with the Force. Even as it lay inert he could sense the circuits and conduits that linked the power cell to the focusing crystal, which still resonated with the living Force in its own humble way. There was beauty in such simplicity, such unity of purpose. It was that which he meant to rediscover.

The shrill bell from the counter interrupted his thoughts, and he gently laid the child's weapon back on its rubber mat and swept out the door of the workshop into the warehouse proper. The Jedi-turned-preacher wore a simple beige tunic over his white shirt and clerical collar with the sleeve tied over the stump of his right arm, which ended just above the elbow. He smiled at the sight of the girl in front of the counter.

"Good afternoon, Draiya!" he said. "I'm afraid I'm the only one here at the moment, but is there anything I can help you with?"

Draiya Naaianeya
Mar 19th, 2014, 04:38:54 PM
"Hi Sol."

Draiya shifted on her feet a bit, her lips pursing as she drummed her hands on the counter top nervously.

"I'm, uh, can I, uh..."

Was there something she was missing? Stand back! I am on a lightsaber quest! No, that sounded a bit bold and ridiculous. Best to just keep it simple.

"Can I see the crrystals?"

Rev Solomon
Mar 19th, 2014, 10:23:57 PM
Something was clearly on the girl's mind - Solomon had never known her to be tongue-tied. "Certainly," he said. "What did you have in mind? I'm afraid the premium crystals from Ilum are still under lock and key, but you're welcome to examine them."

Draiya Naaianeya
Mar 20th, 2014, 07:33:51 PM
Where did she even start? There wasn't exactly a how-to guide for these things. Draiya exhaled roughly, blowing a strand of her black hair upwards in frustration.

"I don't know! I was hoping to figurre that parrt out along the way, I mean, the saberr trrial is imporrtant, and yet its almost as if I'm expected to just go into the woods, fall into a trrance, and...mirracle a lightsaberr out of common household items and that I'm supposed to find a crrystal or a crrystal is supposed to find me...whateverr that means, and..."

Out of breath, Draiya gulped, her eyes wide with frustration.

Rev Solomon
Mar 20th, 2014, 10:57:22 PM
"Ohhhhh, I see."

The girl's harried account explained quite a lot. If Draiya had been brought up in the old Order, she'd have been steeped in Jedi lore from a tender, young age; would have witnessed the milestones of Jedi development modeled every day, every month, every year, as younglings were chosen as Padawans and Padawans promoted to Knighthood; would have followed in the footsteps of her older peers as they themselves followed an unbroken chain of succession that went back for millennia. All she had were a few fragments of a thousand-generation-old tradition, and she was trying to fill in the gaps herself. It was no wonder she was feeling lost.

Solomon smiled gently. "Well, it may not be an exact science, but sometimes I think we oversell the mystical side of building your first lightsaber. If you don't mind me asking, Draiya, how old are you?"

Draiya Naaianeya
Mar 20th, 2014, 11:17:27 PM
"Thirrteen."

What did that have to do with anything? A look of cautious skepticism creased Draiya's face. Solomon was old. Well...not a geezer or anything, but if Draiya had to guess, he was probably old school, one of the Jedi from before the Dark Times everyone talked about. She'd had plenty of studies on the Order That Was, and knew that the way they did things was quite a bit different to the way things were done on Ossus. She placed her hands on her hips.

"Too young, orr too old forr this sorrt of thing?"

Rev Solomon
Mar 21st, 2014, 06:56:34 AM
Solomon's instincts wanted to tell her that she was young, and that she had plenty of time before she needed to worry about the rites of passage into Knighthood, but then he realized he didn't have an answer for her challenge, and he laughed at his own defeat.

"Honestly? I have no idea," he replied. "We're a long way from the Great Jedi Temple, and some of the old traditions just don't apply anymore. As a matter of fact, I'm trying to figure out some of that stuff myself."

He lifted his left hand to show her the gaps where his index and small fingers had been, which he had lost in his duel with Darth Acera on Generis. "I lost my own lightsaber in battle. I figure it's time I replaced it. What do you say we work together? Maybe figure out some new traditions in the process."

Wei Wu Wei
Mar 21st, 2014, 12:24:50 PM
"There's a lot that needs replacing," Wei said from the doorway. "Sorry. Didn't mean to just butt in."

Wei held out his datapad. He pressed a button, and the lightsaber schematic appeared. "If you two are going to re-build your lightsabers, then I think this schematic will be helpful. You'll need a diatum power cell, the hilt, the ignition plate, focusing lens, and an emitter. The crystal is important, of course, but these things are also key. Probably easier to start with them, since the crystals are under lock and key."

"Oh! I'm Wei Wu Wei. Pleased to meet you both."

Draiya Naaianeya
Mar 21st, 2014, 02:14:02 PM
She moved with instinct, plucking the offered datapad from Wei's hands and thumbing through the information aggressively. Midway through, she realized that was probably a bit rude and that he'd introduced himself to them both.

"Oh, I'm Draiya."

Finally getting a good look at the newcomer, Draiya's eyes stuck on him. He looked even older than Solomon. And what was with his hair? The Syragori padawan resisted reaching over to get a handful of manky dreads, but only barely.

"You'rre some kind of saberr genius? That's kuu'ai."

She wondered if she could talk him into making her saber for her. Probably not. This sort of thing seemed like a strictly DIY affair.

Rev Solomon
Mar 21st, 2014, 03:50:28 PM
A broad, bright smile spread across the preacher's face. The Force really did move in mysterious ways.

"Knight Wei! Of course! We met on Tatooine, the business with Master Kenobi's starfighter? Oh, sorry--"

He extended his left hand, which was the only one he had to offer. "Reverend Solomon. I don't think we had time to exchange names, what with all the..." He was suddenly conscious of Draiya listening in and chose not to air out Wei's history with the Inquisitoriate. But he decided he would have to speak with the knight later about Palara Iscandar.

"This will be my third lightsaber, Draiya's first. I'm sure we'd both appreciate your expertise."

Wei Wu Wei
Mar 21st, 2014, 04:18:50 PM
Wei chose to let Draiya look at the schematic while he talked to Solomon. When Solomon mentioned Tatooine, he nodded. "Of course! It's been so long! I still have that starfighter, too."

He turned to Draiya. "Well, I'm a certainly knowledgeable about sabers when it comes to combat, but the workings of the lightsaber is something I'm still studying." He pointed at the schematic. "The parts are necessary, along with the crystal, but it takes concentration and focus to put it together."

Wei gestured to the room. I came in here to take stock of lightsaber parts and supplies, and to see what there is here that might be useful in related project."

"Have either of you checked the inventory yet?"

Draiya Naaianeya
Mar 21st, 2014, 07:00:14 PM
"No."

The Padawan frowned, sighing as she gestured with the datapad.

"I've only just starrted. That's the point. I barrely know wherre to begin!"

She thumbed through the schematics, holding up an image of a fairly standard looking lightsaber.

"I mean, okay. If I want to build a lightsaberr, I can prrobably find the parrts. But..."

Draiya's face twisted into a thoughtful frown.

"...it wouldn't be mine. If that makes sense."

Of course what didn't make sense just yet was that Draiya had no idea exactly what her lightsaber was supposed to be. Maybe that was why none of this was written down. It was frustrating.

Rev Solomon
Mar 21st, 2014, 07:44:03 PM
"Just building a lightsaber wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen," Solomon replied. "It may not be the one for you, but you'd learn a lot about the craft. A lightsaber is a very personal thing. You don't have to have everything figured out from the get-go."

He sensed, however, that Draiya would see this as something of a cop-out. He leaned back against the counter and fixed the girl with a keen eyes. "Maybe you should start by asking yourself what kind of Jedi you would like to be."

Draiya Naaianeya
Mar 21st, 2014, 07:53:20 PM
A look of surprise crossed her face when Solomon turned the question around on her and made her focus inward.

"I..."

The defensiveness to her expression eased, and Draiya's face went passive. Her eyes turned half-lidded as she opened herself up to the Force to get at the heart of the matter.

"I make otherrs see. Make myself unseen. Avoid conflict by subtlety. End conflict with surrprrise."

Draiya's eyes fluttered and she blinked. She'd heard the words her own mouth said, but it both was and wasn't her saying it. More like a riddle than anything.

Rev Solomon
Mar 21st, 2014, 08:22:27 PM
The interlude from the living Force was not lost on Solomon. He raised his eyebrows and turned toward Wei. "Now, that sounds like a starting point to me."

"Something nimble. Easy to conceal. A short hilt, for one hand. Can you think of any forms that would suit such a weapon?"

Solomon could, but he wanted to hear from one who had studied the art of the saber even more deeply than he had.

Draiya Naaianeya
Apr 6th, 2014, 12:11:37 PM
Draiya too was intrigued, hoping Wei could shed light on the matter. While her aggressive tendencies had so far allowed for an organic adoption of Ataru, perhaps there was something she was missing. If the lightsaber was to be an extension of her philosophy as a Jedi, then the style she chose would also flow from this as well.

Wei Wu Wei
Apr 6th, 2014, 02:38:43 PM
Wei had been listening intently, trying to think about what he knew of the seven forms.

"Stealth and illusion lend themselves to ambush," he said. "You can also use them for distraction and misdirection. I think Ataru can be helpful, but it takes a lot of energy. I don't know how much effort it takes for you to hide yourself and create your illusions, but if it takes any amount of concentration, then you'll want to save your energy. The acrobatics of Ataru can be disorienting if you're not used to it. It might be too much for you to handle."

Wei rubbed his chin. "I think if I were in your position, I would always prefer to catch my opponents by surprise. Make it so that my first attack was the only attack I needed. If I was forced to fight in open combat, I would want a flexible, diverse style that would maximize the different ways I could make a distraction, but would not be so demanding of my energy and concentration."

"Form I, Shii-Cho comes to mind because it's so basic. It has solid foundations, no real weaknesses. With enough practice, you could probably overcome the difficulties I've predicted for your training in Ataru. Honestly, though, I think Form VI might be more for you. It pulls from each Form, including Ataru. It takes creativity to do well, because it lacks a defined mentality and technique like the five forms before it, but with your special talent, I think you could handle it."

Rev Solomon
Apr 6th, 2014, 03:26:17 PM
"Whatever form you choose, Draiya," Solomon said, "I don't doubt you'll find a way to put your own unique stamp on it. Just so you bear in mind that a decisive strike does not have to be a fatal one. It is the highest achievement in combat for a Jedi to disarm one's foe without killing him, or injuring him if possible. Even better to disarm him without striking a blow at all."

The look he got from the girl was enough to tell him he was lecturing, and he grinned self-consciously. "We could always start where I was planning to start... with the basics."

He stepped back into the small repair shop, beckoning the other two to follow. Five training sabers lay on the workbench in various states of disassembly. Draiya had probably used most of them in her sparring sessions.

"You've had some experience already. What do you like in a lightsaber hilt? What feels right to you?"

Draiya Naaianeya
Apr 6th, 2014, 05:12:17 PM
Draiya considered Wei's words. He was pointing her in a direction she'd never fully considered. Sparring against Akasha had left her to gravitate towards Ataru because she liked the aggression, which she figured would maximize the effect of a surprise attack. Wei exposed her to more options. Shii-Cho for balanced approaches to allow more focus on her illusion casting, and Niman for a more inventive freedom to improvise combat style.

The human girl's eyes looked into space a moment, holding out her hands, palms open. She studied each crease, each line of her hands, imagining a saber forming in her grip.

"A taperred hand, shorrt grrip. Something in the middle, to keep a steady single hand on..."

Her eyes widened a little and she looked to Solomon and Wei.

"...two lightsaberrs."

Wei Wu Wei
Apr 6th, 2014, 06:00:07 PM
Wei inclined his head towards her. "A perfectly acceptable style of combat. I have fought with two lightsabers in the past: you can dispatch two opponents at once, or use one saber to block and parry while the other strikes. It takes coordination and focus."

Wei glanced at Solomon. "It's like he says, begin with the basics." He looked back at the padawan. "Once you think you know the basics, practice every day until they're as natural as walking. Without a solid foundation, you will.never achieve what you're trying to accomplish. And above all, practice patience."

Rev Solomon
Apr 8th, 2014, 07:12:25 PM
There wasn't much Solomon could add to that; when you heard wisdom stated so simply and clearly, it didn't pay to complicate it. Draiya's plan was ambitious, like everything else about her, but with patience and perseverance, she would see it through. Fortunately, the girl had the perfect master to teach her patience.

However, it wasn't the plan itself that impressed him so much as the way she'd arrived upon it.

"Your insight serves you well, Draiya," Solomon said. "It seems the Force has gifted you with special clarity on this matter. Have you ever experienced these sorts of insights before?"

Draiya Naaianeya
Apr 8th, 2014, 09:06:03 PM
Her mouth pursed in unexpected thought.

"Uh..."

Draiya's nose crinkled a little as she tried to think about what Sol had asked.

"I don't think so. I mean I just thought about what I'd do. But morre than thinking. Trrying to see. Kinda like getting in my own head."

It hadn't occurred to her that what she'd done might not be the norm, and her eyes widened.

"Don't tell Masterr Larran, she doesn't like when I go all head games! I mean it's my own head!"

Wei Wu Wei
Apr 9th, 2014, 04:44:05 AM
"Go all head games." Wei said it slowly, as if trying out a new language.

Wei patted her back. "When you are centered, the Force speaks. A centered state of mind comes with knowing yourself well. If measured introspection counts as playing head games, then we Jedi have been 'going all head games' since the beginning of our history."

The Jedi Knight picked up his datapad and got back to reviewing the warehouse manifest. "Aha! Yes, I thought as much. Keep talking, I promise I'm listening." He walked a handful paces away and started going over the labels on a cluster of plasteel canisters.