PDA

View Full Version : Account Switch Issues

Captain Untouchable
Feb 3rd, 2014, 10:11:15 PM
I've had a number of problems, over the last week in particular, with posts being sent out from the wrong account.

I'd assumed that it was just me being a noob, so I have started being extra careful. A moment ago, having written my post, I returned to the Star Wars Roleplaying section, confirmed that I was most definitely logged in on the account I was expecting to post with, re-opened the thread, pasted my post into the quick account box, and hit submit. As soon as the next page loaded, I was logged in as a completely different character; the post had submitted on this different account, rather than the one I had confirmed I was logged in as a matter of seconds beforehand.

Having gone back through my browser history, I was definitely using "theholo.net" at all times throughout the process, so it's not an issue of me being logged in differently on different instances of the site and it flip-flopping between somehow. It's pretty baffling really, as I took every countermeasure I can possibly think of taking to prevent accidentally mis-posting.

The only similar thing I can think of is when you register a new account. If I was logged in as "Inyos Aamoran", and registered a new "Chir'daki" account, clicking on the activation link in the email would direct me to Fans, logged in as Chir'daki. However, after a particular amount of time, it seems to "ping back" to the earlier account (Inyos Aamoran). It doesn't seem to make a difference if you change settings / upload avatars / link accounts / befriend people in the meanwhile... eventually, it's gonna elastic back to the earlier account.

It's a minor annoyance at most, but given how (unless you have Supporter status on every account you own) only Mods/Admins can delete posts, and how there seem to have been more accidental wrong account posts lately... maybe it's a thing? Some funkiness with the "Welcome, (insert name)" text not updating properly or something?

I dunno. :huh

Edit:

Bonus thought - I've had a few issues lately where, if I've spent too long writing a post or a PM, the boards have thrown up an error about my token having expired, and told me to go back and refresh the page I was on before trying again (this is why I went back and reloaded the thread I was posting to - I've had posts munched by the boards because of this a few times now). I'm not entirely sure why that might be causing shenanigans, but maybe that's related somehow?

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 3rd, 2014, 10:49:17 PM
Not a staff member but here's my take: I'm going to guess this is a problem with you being signed in as different names on the sw-fans.net, www.sw-fans.net and theholo.net sites, and the links you're clicking are taking you to the other domains or something. That's just my first thought. I've never had that happen where hitting submit on a post made it be under a different name, that is really weird.

Timing out is usually solved by clicking "remember me" but if you're doing that then I dunno. Might be a browser/internet provider issue. Morg would know.

My recent post under the wrong name was just me forgetting who I was signed in as because my style set was the same and I just assumed. :)

Amaros Koine
Feb 4th, 2014, 01:05:59 AM
Not a staff member but here's my take: I'm going to guess this is a problem with you being signed in as different names on the sw-fans.net, www.sw-fans.net (http://www.sw-fans.net) and theholo.net sites, and the links you're clicking are taking you to the other domains or something.

Having gone back through my browser history, I was definitely using "theholo.net" at all times throughout the process, so it's not an issue of me being logged in differently on different instances of the site and it flip-flopping between somehow.

Already ruled that out, unfortunately. :\

It was definitely "theholo.net" on the page I hit post on, and it was definitely "theholo.net" on the page I ended up with. If there's some weirdness with other urls in between, I don't know... but it definitely swapped me from Account A to Account B during that process, while staying on the same version of the site.

Also, having checked the other instances of the site that I'm aware of, I wasn't logged in as the account it posted as on any of them either. Said account ("Gideon Lazuli") was brand new today, and I have only been using theholo.net today.

Jaassuuvi Ageerrodarr
Feb 4th, 2014, 08:23:10 AM
I had this issue as well, but only over the course of a single day when I was trying to post as Jaas and when I would go to advanced for my post it would switch me to Zereth. It actually took me a few minutes of account changing to get into the thread/post and maintain the account I wanted, but I haven't had an issue since then.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 4th, 2014, 09:21:07 AM
Having gone back through my browser history, I was definitely using "theholo.net" at all times throughout the process, so it's not an issue of me being logged in differently on different instances of the site and it flip-flopping between somehow.

Already ruled that out, unfortunately. :\

It was definitely "theholo.net" on the page I hit post on, and it was definitely "theholo.net" on the page I ended up with. If there's some weirdness with other urls in between, I don't know... but it definitely swapped me from Account A to Account B during that process, while staying on the same version of the site.

Also, having checked the other instances of the site that I'm aware of, I wasn't logged in as the account it posted as on any of them either. Said account ("Gideon Lazuli") was brand new today, and I have only been using theholo.net today.
Oops, didn't read your post thoroughly enough, obviously. ^_^;

I'm going to go with "a wizard did it" then, until the staff says otherwise. ;)

TheHolo.Net
Feb 4th, 2014, 11:01:21 AM
The account switch feature is a 'hack' and as such is not fully supported by vBulletin or the staff of this site. The only issue that we have ever seen with the feature is corrupt cookie files. When in doubt, delete your cookies and start over.

Amaros Koine
Feb 4th, 2014, 12:03:18 PM
Deleting cookies/etc is kind of a go-to whenever I have any sort of technical shenanigans, but it's one of those things that seems to have worked right up until it turns out that it hasn't. :uhoh

If this is something that isn't really "fixable", is there anything we could implement to make it a little easier for us to clean up after ourselves? Supporter status grants you the ability to delete your own posts - is there a way to let everyone do that... maybe limit it to just the Star Wars Roleplaying / General Roleplaying forums? Should we implement a "delete please" tag (like we had/have on the wiki) so that there's something for the staff to routinely check / take care of?

Whether it's a tech goof or a personal goof... the less work we have to create for other people, the better. :uhoh

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 4th, 2014, 12:38:47 PM
No one deletes the pages in the Delete category in the wiki :cry

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 4th, 2014, 01:47:56 PM
Well, something is certainly going around. Upon trying to reset the password for my Martin Stoddard account, the email I received after entering my addy was for my Teagan Staedtler account.

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 4th, 2014, 04:33:43 PM
I'm happy to delete any posts that anyone needs deleting. I'm here pretty much every day, if not every other day.. so just email me, or hit the 'Report post' button and the entire staff will be notified of the post you need removing :)

Vittore Montegue
Feb 4th, 2014, 04:48:10 PM
Ooooh. Is that what the report post button does? :ohno

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 4th, 2014, 04:49:59 PM
It creates a thread in the admin/mod forum, with a link to the post and whatever extra info you type into the little report box. Tis rather handy!