PDA

View Full Version : Grannie's Got Secrets, that Wench

Red
Feb 3rd, 2014, 12:45:45 PM
http://theholo.net/forum/showthread.php?55344-Grandmother-s-Secrets&p=1023470#post1023470

Please post here if you have an idea for this thread. The basic gist of it is that it is a modern day fairy tales / urban fantasy mash up. So your characters might be similar to a fairy tale character, but they'll be modern day and in a land of magic and fae and werewolves and whatever, like in the Dresden Files.

Red is a witch, or a witch in training. She's about to inherit some weird enemies and also additional power from her grandmother, who really should have told her all her secrets from the get go, but that's not how these stories work, now is it.

Gideon Lazuli
Feb 3rd, 2014, 05:09:30 PM
I think I saw a show like this Once. It was a bit Grimm. ;)

(awesome idea, I like it! :D)

Red
Feb 3rd, 2014, 07:56:39 PM
Thanks!

if anyone is interested in playing, I'd like to restrict it to one player character each, with of course unlimited NPCs. I'm going to do some brainstorming tonight and write up the basics for the heavy hitters of the supernatural, like the fae, etc. I don't want to crib TOO much from Dresden but don't sue me if there are similarities.

PCs shouldn't be The Ruler Of Their House, but more mid level practitioners or whatever it is you're interested in. Djinn, were, vamp, fae, succubus (probably the red and white courts of vampires)... if it's supernatural you can probably bring it in.

Red
Feb 4th, 2014, 11:00:29 AM
Fae Courts:
Fairies or sidhe would appear to be elves to our LOTR eyes, and share many similarities, except they are capricious, self-centered, and alien. They can glamour mortals into wanting to obey them, and the usual "don't eat fairy food or make deals" thing applies, basic fairy lore stuff. Do they steal babies? perhaps they do

They generally stay out of mortal affairs, only appearing to play or if they think they can gain some advantage over the other Court (or another enemy)... or if they are summoned (this would be the proverbial 'take a tiger by the tail' thing, you shouldn't probably do this).

There are also pixies which are small humanoids who can fly and are playful and might eat you alive like a pack of piranhas, you never know.

Ogres, Trolls, goblins and other creatures are considered part of the Fae Kingdoms as well, if it doesn't have a human or demonic origin it's probably fae.

Summer Court - (seelie) Led by Titania the Summer Queen, generally considered the 'good' Sidhe, for as much as that's worth. Growth, Warmth, Nature, Light.

Winter Court - (unseelie) Led by Mab, Winter Queen, usually considered the bad Sidhe, but they are multi-faceted. Ice, Snow, Cold, Darkness.

The two courts constantly vie against each other, each trying to get the upper hand. Indian summer? The Summer Court probably won a conflict of some kind against Winter and kept control longer than usual. Late snows, or dreary cold and rain well into June? Thanks a lot Winter Court. The Equinoxes are very important.

The Courts exist on another plane of existence, next door to ours. The scientific might call it another dimension, but who cares what they think. The Spirit World contains everything not in the mortal world and is vastly huge. A majority of it is controlled and maintained by the Sidhe Courts and is known as Otherland, Fairyland, or Avalon.

Red
Feb 4th, 2014, 11:13:10 AM
Other Things:

There are werewolf packs, who are strong but tend to fight amongst themselves and are mortal, living human lifetimes. Have there been werewolf wizards or witches? I do not know, but it is possible. Such a practitioner would not be able to cast in wolf form, however.

Vampires lurk in the shadows, and some in two flavors - blood suckers and life suckers, the Red and White courts of vampires. (Shamelessly cribbed from Dresden). Each will seduce you and leave you a quivering shell of a person if they don't outright kill you. The succubi of the White Court are more insidious and hidden than the Red. They have super strength and reflexes and some supernatural ability/magic but not like a wizard or witch.

Wizards/witches - human practitioners of magic, generally part of the White Council, and if they're not the White Council disapproves and/or eliminates them. Practitioners can be good or bad. Is there a hidden Black Council? PERHAPS. Perhaps not. Generally the White Council is considered 'good' and if you're 'bad' then you're not part of the Council and face their disapproval. You will have been trained and initiated into the magic world by an older wizard or witch and brought into the White Council with them as protection for if you mess up while learning. Don't mess up too badly though. Okay? Okay. Carry chalk at all times. Magic works by imposing your Will on the world around you. Draw a circle, infuse it with your Will, and you have an impenetratable shield within which to summon a demon. Or draw it around you and now you're safe from demons or other supernatural things. These will not stop bullets.

Various implements (staff, wand) and charms will do different things and help you focus your Will in order to throw different sorts of spells around.

DEMONS: bad things in the shadows, these can be summoned and give you information or power if used correctly and fry you to your bones if used incorrectly. They also want to eat your soul and consume all your Will.

Red
Feb 8th, 2014, 12:31:45 PM
It goes without saying that in general one does not enter the Nevernever lightly. But I shall say it.

http://translate.google.com/#en/la/return Using latin for the 'spells/focusing words' just pick ones you like that convey the meaning you're going for, it can be different for every wizard/witch and so doesn't really matter as long as you're not shouting the latin word for fish and making fire.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 19th, 2014, 11:19:47 AM
http://dresdenfiles.wikia.com/wiki/Dresden_Files

Sawyer
Apr 13th, 2014, 08:33:01 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/30/detroit-ruins_n_4519731.html just bookmarking this here