PDA

View Full Version : I am Taataani Fai'sheea Igaarrai Meorrrei, AMA

Taataani Meorrrei
Jan 24th, 2014, 10:50:55 AM
(because no good idea goes un-imitated, Holly :p )

Same rules as the original. Questions will be answered from an IC perspective honestly (for once) but of course will only be considered OOC knowledge. Feel free to ask the Senator / Baroness Executor / Rrou'fai anything.

Sasseeri Reeouurra
Jan 24th, 2014, 11:14:29 AM
What do you really think about Sasseeri? Are you...proud of her and what she's accomplished? Or does it still grate at you that a lowly half-breed was able to be successful outside of the Cluster instead of being killed as an infant?

Taataani Meorrrei
Jan 24th, 2014, 11:33:49 AM
I'm not nearly as concerned about halfbreed ramifications as most rrou'fai might be. Mind you, I wouldn't choose to have a halfbreed child myself because I think it's unfair on the child and it can make perceptions of a house get complicated if you're trying to bring them up as women of quality. Halfbreeds have a hard go at things, and to see how well Sasseeri has done with those disadvantages makes me respect her business prowess. That being said, it's a career built on ill-gotten gains. I don't have to know the sordid details, but you don't become a vigo of Black Sun by any honest trade. Her profession negatively impacts my house, and I get tired of explaining it away if the issue is brought up of my nefarious yet successful black-tail half sister.

Of course I'm starting to find that the line that separates me from Sasseeri is getting blurry. Entry into politics is making an honest trade harder to identify.

I'm also incredibly jealous of her looks. It's like she doesn't even have to work at it. Hopefully those human genes take their toll on her in her midlife.

Vansen Tyree
Jan 24th, 2014, 01:51:38 PM
You are the least politician-like of any politician I have ever had the fortune or misfortune of encountering, which is about the highest praise I can possibly offer. That said, you have a responsibility to engage in petty squabbling and redundant time-wasting on behalf of your home government. How do you feel about your fellow Senators, about the expectations placed upon you by the Pride Mother and your peers, and how are you going to approach the challenge of reconciling your morals and integrity with a profession that so frequently seems to require an absence of either one?

Taataani Meorrrei
Jan 24th, 2014, 03:42:36 PM
Depends on the Senator, really. Some I know personally, some I know by reputation, and some I haven't met. From the ones I can think of:

Alli Tiawarrh of Krant is young and inexperienced, but eager to get out from under the Bothan shadow. I plan to help her do so, and to leverage that relationship to undermine the Bothans.

Torrsk Oruo'rel of Bothawui I trust about as far as I can throw. That said, he's probably the biggest credit to his race, which are notorious back-stabbers, double-dealers, and meddlers. I'd prefer to keep him close to me before I judge how to deal with him.

Jaanseerra Arretaura of Carshoulis Prime is a backwards dullard whose distasteful personality is dwarfed only by her zeal to play sycophant to the Pride Mother in order to keep the Carshoulis Cluster as 'traditional' as she can. I have to deal with her sooner rather than later because she is an impediment to progress and can wound me both financially and politically if she's able.

Delphnye Sarpin of the Hapes Cluster is the same type of narrow-visioned shrew that Jaanseerra is, but less threatening to my interests. It is probably wise for me to try and make sure there's some distance kept between those two, though.

Ulys Caed of Naboo is a professional litigator who loves to hear himself talk and is a threat to gum up the entire works of the Senate with legal procedure. I won't openly move against him, but I can certainly take steps to nullify any measures he takes at stifling business innovation through antitrust legislation. However, if I can use his talents against my enemies I'll be certain to ingratiate myself with him.

Niev Minetii of Sullust represents a material threat to my financial interests. Again, I can't openly move against him as there are a lot of strong feelings following the Sullust attack and we're both ostensibly allied on matters of defense. Nevertheless, I'll likely try and slow any attempts at strengthening his sector until my own interests involving the military are met. Once my own interests are met, I can use my resources as a position of strength and possibly bring him in as an ally, but it's too early for that.

Salem Ave of Onderon is a political patron of mine. We've seen eye-to-eye on several key issues, and I'm inclined to lend my political weight to an executive decree he issues so long as it doesn't directly weaken me.

Kelvin Stark of Torque is an acquaintance I've known since the days in which I was still doing business with the Empire. I know little of his political tastes, but he likes the way that credits spend. If I need to lend weight to a cause, I anticipate that I can buy his support.

Taataani Meorrrei
Jan 24th, 2014, 03:57:35 PM
Regarding the second half of your question:

My mandate from the Pride Mother is to represent the interests of our people. As one of the most powerful Baronesses within the Oligarchy, my interpretation of that mandate is to throw the door open and allow trade to flourish throughout the Alliance. If the oligarchy continues to remain rich and powerful, this economic prosperity will trickle down to the hoi polloi in turn, and making the Carshoulis Cluster into the trade backbone of the Alliance serves to solidify the Pride Mother's position as sacrosanct ruler and benevolent matron to her people.

Essentially, this venture has to be profitable. If there is no prosperity or monetary gain made by integration into the union, then it calls into question the reason why many in the Pride stood by this unprecedented decision to align ourselves to the cause. I have many deeply personal reasons and beliefs underpinning why I believe the Alliance cause is just, but I doubt this belief is shared by many Cizerack. The evil Empire likely never hurt their loved ones, or never threatened anyone they knew. That kind of suffering is still out of sight and out of mind for most of my peers.

So I guess the answer in regards to my morality is that it doesn't spend as well as my credits do, but I plan to invest both of these things in the same projects. I believe in the notions of freedom and self determination and peace that the Alliance strives to set right. Some will probably question my motives and suggest I'm simply playing the game for the sake of enriching myself, but making money is a means, not an end. If I can use both my political power and my money to make the Alliance strong, then that's what I plan to do. If I have to be a bully or manipulate people to do that, I'll sleep as soundly as a rock when I do it.

Ceto Rübezahl
Jan 25th, 2014, 12:11:56 PM
Koensayr is a sore subject for you, and the way that the Treaty has handled business and industry across the border is a pretty unpleasant situation all round.

Moving forward, and once you have stabilised your company's interests; are you content to trade only within the confines of Alliance space and politics, or will you be looking for opportunities beyond that? Is amicable trade with the Empire something you see ever being possible in the future, and is it something that you will actively be pursuing yourself as part of your political agenda; or is it something that you will leave to others and simply take advantage of if and when the time comes?

Salem Ave
Jan 25th, 2014, 12:17:16 PM
Where do you draw the line? What wouldn't you do to further your own interests?

Taataani Meorrrei
Jan 25th, 2014, 12:36:26 PM
Koensayr is a sore subject for you, and the way that the Treaty has handled business and industry across the border is a pretty unpleasant situation all round.

Moving forward, and once you have stabilised your company's interests; are you content to trade only within the confines of Alliance space and politics, or will you be looking for opportunities beyond that? Is amicable trade with the Empire something you see ever being possible in the future, and is it something that you will actively be pursuing yourself as part of your political agenda; or is it something that you will leave to others and simply take advantage of if and when the time comes?

Trade is a species of diplomacy. I'd certainly want to foster an environment where we can do that with the Imperials. I'm not so foolish as to think in terms of military goods or anything that might put the Alliance in jeopardy, but for things like food, medicine, and the like? If companies in the Alliance can meet those needs that aren't met by the Empire, we would be well served to pursue those opportunities. Maybe in my lifetime, even this cold war of ours might thaw. Wouldn't that be a thought?

Right now, it's not a priority of mine, but it's a good thing to be mindful of once we tamp down the fires at home.

Taataani Meorrrei
Jan 25th, 2014, 12:45:24 PM
Where do you draw the line? What wouldn't you do to further your own interests?

I probably wouldn't do anything overtly illegal and I couldn't imagine doing anything like killing someone. I'm still testing the waters of politics and there seem to be ways of bending legality. I also come from a tradition in the Pride where politics and business can often mingle through favors, patronage, and bribery. I would probably view corrupting a few people here or there as a valid political tactic, but I'm also mindful enough that the politics of the Alliance are new and shaky, and may not share the same comfort with these tactics as home does.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 18th, 2014, 11:31:04 AM
So, are you a fan of the Pride Mother?

Taataani Meorrrei
Feb 18th, 2014, 01:48:02 PM
I want to be.

She is young, ambitious, and brings energy to the monarchy that's been lacking. I would like a chance to be close to her and perhaps shape her worldviews. That being said, she's easily becoming accustomed to ruthless tactics to ensure my loyalty. I'm not certain what has caused such retribution, other than pressure from the priestess collegium. Perhaps once she's got a couple of cubs to nurse, she will feel less beholden to listen to voices in the old guard and I can work with her to develop a stronger and more assertive pride

Miri Jitaurree
Feb 18th, 2014, 05:22:32 PM
You've always been a bit more socially liberal than many of your peers, and goodness knows your son has broken a lot of barriers outside the Cluster. What are your feelings on the ways Naala'in citizens, and, to a lesser extent, Meera'in, have been marginalized by the elite establishment?

Oh, Saanjaara, is marginalized too strong a word? I mean I'm not trying to play the race card here and Saanjaara knows I've been lucky especially compared to most Naala'in I've met but still you hear things from classmates now and then...

Taataani Meorrrei
Feb 18th, 2014, 11:15:07 PM
Preoccupation with ethnic origins is complete faff, and I've encountered plenty of Naala'in and Meera'in, and they're lovely people, mostly. Oh I hear the rumors. Everyone does. The Naala'in are poor, uneducated podunk dirtfarmers who let their males run nude on the prairie while they hunt and eat humans or some other unlucky forrda who crash land in the middle of nowhere. My grandmother told me that one around a campfire! It was a frightfully scary story when I was little, but I've never once met a Naala'in with a taste for Human, Rodian, Bith or what-have-you. They're not barbarians, they're just...poor, and maybe a little uneducated. They can't help it, really. Every year or so there's some tabloid exposé about a crashed shuttle with a celebrity gone missing and everyone is so keen to speculate on whether they had a run-in with Naala'in hill people. Such nonsense.

And the Meera'in stories are no less cruel. Syragori slum rats and interbreeders with funny accents who skate by with just enough stripes or spots to pass in polite society. They treat them like out-and-out half-breeds at times, which is ridiculous. Syragor is a cold place. I'm sure if I was forced to keep cooped up in such a ramshackle, I too would be seriously in need of a tan.

No, like I said, it's complete nonsense. They're both charming enough people, and some of them even manage to become respectable.