PDA

View Full Version : Wonderful Christmastime!!!!!

Peter McCoy
Dec 1st, 2013, 09:11:21 AM
It's finally December 1st which means I'm allowed to play Christmas songs in the house. This year the whole Christmas exposure has been quite low for me (despite working in retail which play songs far too early in my opinion) so I'm actually not sick of all the songs for once and can enjoy them all for a change in the month they're supposed to be enjoyed in.

What are some of your favourite Christmas songs? What really gets you in Christmas Spirit?

I have a few. My overall favourites are Wonderful Christmastime by Paul McCartney and Fairytale Of New York by The Pogues, but if I'm shopping then it's gotta be Stop The Cavalry by Jona Lewie and In Dulce Jubilo by Mike Oldfield. My silly/party favourite is Proper Crimbo by Bo Selecta and my super-awesome-favourite is Christmas Is All Around by Billy Mack (Bill Nighy's character from Love Actually).

Halajiin Rabeak
Dec 1st, 2013, 10:55:43 AM
I love most Christmas music, but the songs I wish I'd hear on the radio are Slade's "Merry Christmas, Everybody," and "Christmas Time (Don't Let the Bells End)" by The Darkness.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 1st, 2013, 01:27:34 PM
Anything Mannheim Steamroller and all the classics plus Christmas carols. Any classic covers by teen stars can go burn in a fire though.

I'm listening to the Christmas radio station on Pandora right now, it's a nice mix. :)

Darth Turbogeek
Dec 1st, 2013, 07:06:16 PM
Christmas music can go..... yeah you know where I'm heading with that. I hate it. The music this time of year drives me insane.

To answer the second part (and unbelieveably to be discovered not to be a grinch.....!) The nephews and nieces. The twins were born Christmas Day 3 years ago, the others are becoming old enough to be excited. Last year I put together 200 meters of model raiway around the step-bro house and his wife later drew me aside to tell me how much it meant to the kids to see what I had done. The nephews and nieces just love their crazy uncles and aunt (Myself, my brother and my partner) because we simply either spoil them or get stuck into playing.

This year we'll have the foster kittens as well, which we know the nieces at least are going to adore

It gets more fun the more the nieces and nephews work out what a crazy uncle is :D - it will be an odd one still tho, the area around me got fucked by the blazes in October so there's not a lot of decorations and a lot of destruction. People are still on edge and stressed so hopefully it's a day to unwind and remeber life.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 1st, 2013, 07:14:10 PM
You know, I can imagine how old standbys like "White Christmas" might seem really bad in Australia. :p

Darth Turbogeek
Dec 1st, 2013, 11:17:50 PM
You know, I can imagine how old standbys like "White Christmas" might seem really bad in Australia. :p

Seriouspost - Annnnd there's one of the problems! It's just so jarring to hear about snow and sleighs and cold nights when outside is 40C and the emergency service is telling you where the latest bushfire is.

Charley
Dec 2nd, 2013, 10:42:23 AM

Seriouspost - Annnnd there's one of the problems! It's just so jarring to hear about snow and sleighs and cold nights when outside is 40C and the emergency service is telling you where the latest bushfire is.

Sounds like a challenge to write some Australian Christmas music to me!

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 2nd, 2013, 11:31:54 AM
Prawns roasting on an open fire....

Charley
Dec 2nd, 2013, 12:43:16 PM
Everything roasting on a wildfire....

And there's only one fire hose...

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 2nd, 2013, 01:04:13 PM
I'm dreaming of a green Christmas! Just like the ones I used to knooow. When trees are growing, and grass is unburnt, and ash doesn't cover everythiiiiing...

(I'm not very good at this)

Darth Turbogeek
Dec 2nd, 2013, 04:39:13 PM
I'm dreaming of a green Christmas! Just like the ones I used to knooow. When trees are growing, and grass is unburnt, and ash doesn't cover everythiiiiing...

(I'm not very good at this)

Include something about water bombers circling and this is working really well :D

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 2nd, 2013, 11:09:02 PM
I'm dreaming of a green Christmas
Just like the ones I used to know
Where the trees are growing
And grass is unburnt
and ash doesn't cover everything

I'm dreaming of a green Christmas
With every Christmas card I write
Water bombers overhead are seen
And may all your Christmases be green

-----

Australia roasting in a wildfire
Deadly bugs nipping at your toes
Road so hot, it's melting your tires,
And only one lone fire hose

Everybody knows a pool and a barbecue
Makes your Christmas dinner bright
surrounding hills, from the fire, all aglow!
we'll find it hard to sleep, tonight.

we know that firemen are on their way
Bringing evacuation orders, and warn us not to stay
And all the ash and smoke will cloud the sky
Making it really hard for Santa's sleigh to fly

And so I'm offering this simple phrase,
To kids from one to ninety-two,
Although its been said many times, many ways,
A very Merry Christmas to you

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 2nd, 2013, 11:30:55 PM
YOU ARE WELCOME AUSTRALIA

darn forum keeps removing my all caps, I'm being oppressed!

Charley
Dec 2nd, 2013, 11:49:28 PM
O Smoky Night
The soot and ash are blinding
It is the night of our vengeful Lord's great wrath
Long lay the 'burbs
Of Sydney quite demolished
But in the morn we'll tend the aftermath

A scourge of fire
Sent forth the bogan tumult
The smell of burning mullets in the air
Please send us rain
The flames are never ending
Bruce lost his hair
Jim Beam brought no respite
Bruce lost his hair to the fires of Aussie-land

Droo
Dec 7th, 2013, 05:30:52 PM
Fairytale of New York is my absolute favourite Christmas song. Despite the name, it reminds me very much of home, and drunken Christmas Eves in the Royal Oak with everyone in full voice. Also, All I Want for Christmas Is You because it is a belter of an upbeat and uptempo Christmas sing-along song. Say what you want about Mariah Carey, but when you're in a pub, and you hear those first few jingling notes, you know the bad singing and dancing is imminent.