PDA

View Full Version : Read an Old RP

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 30th, 2013, 02:37:01 PM
Doesn't have to be a general RP, just an RP in general. Doesn't have to be one of yours, doesn't not have to be. Reading tends to stir my creative juices, and I'm sure it's the same for most of you. Also, some of us have been struggling to complete storylines that are literally years old, so going over the past is a very good thing.

Post a link, and write a few thoughts about the RP - but if you're going to criticize anyone, even yourself, be constructive. This is an experiment, so have fun with it!

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 30th, 2013, 02:56:41 PM
Shattered Illusions (http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?21784-Shattered-Illusions-complete) - where Apollos returns to Redencion House to talk to Anna after being away for a few months and then finding out she's pregnant. D:

Comments - This story is really good. It works as well as it does because of the backstory between Apollos/Feral and Anna, and the until now unspoken tension between the characters. On his part it's because of his intense Greek feelings for her, and on her part it's because he's always made her feel just a little uncomfortable. Wei did a really great job with Apollos, and at the end where he lets his mask slip... chills. You can empathize with Apollos, even if he's totally unreasonable.

It segues into a neat scene between Anna and Tycho, laying the foundations for their burgeoning relationship. Liz has such great descriptive language, it brings you into the story and sort of immerses you in the world of the characters. Some really sweet character moments here, contrasting nicely with the tension of the earlier scene.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 31st, 2013, 12:50:33 PM
Sick Cycle Carouse (http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?25351-Sick-Cycle-carousel)l - considered The Roleplay for a lot of reasons. I'll summarize and write some comments after I finish re-reading it. It was written in 2001 from June 16th to Sept 17th, a scant 3 months for 11 (I think) roleplayers to write a 201 post thread.

Summary - ImpIntel Operative Pierce Tondry is helping a criminal governor take control of seedy planet Arcan IV, where a group of Star Destroyers have defected to (from the New Republic). Arya Ravenwing is heading to Arcan IV to collect money owed her by Force Master Hunter, with her new sidekick Turbogeek, a young man who looks eerily like a now-dead Jedi Master and even goes by his name! General Tomahawk/FMH and some of his NR friends travel to Arcan IV because of the news of the defection and general unrest in the system, and he agrees to meet Arya and kill two birds with one stone. Arcan IV's criminal overlord begins his revolution, everyone is caught in the crossfire and...well... this is a complicated RP with a lot of moving parts. In the end General Tomahawk/Force Master Hunter is forced to reveal his TRUE true identity of Marcus Q'Dunn, Super Jedi Master, and he and Pierce have a big fight which is pretty cool. Also there is a fairly blatant rip off from the Matrix lobby scene in the middle, but it's okay, it's awesome. :D The title refers to Marcus/Tomahawk/Hunter's life.

Thoughts - The next RP I choose will be shorter, holy cow this is taking forever! Over all, I still really like this RP. A lot of it still works! Mark is pretty long winded in his replies and we won't talk about spelling or grammar because that doesn't really matter. As the whole point of the story is to reveal Tomahawk's real identity and get him to come to grips with being a Jedi again, it is a little overly complicated, just like the whole Darth Turbogeek-is-a-dead-clone-of-Marcus-Q'Dunn-who-has-been-hiding-in-plain-sight-as-General-Tomahawk-of-the-NR-while-moonlighting-as-bounty-hunter-ForceMasterHunter-oh-and-LordFireBlade-is-Eileen-Cross-is-Helenias-Q'Dunn-also-convieniently-thought-of-as-dead. Check the wiki on Turbogeek, you won't be disappointed. ;)

There is a lot of asses kicked in this thread, and the action bits rock. The talky bits make my eyes glaze over a bit, but this is my own fault for trying to speed read through it. I think there is a little too much of people writing other people's characters - the last bit where Mark writes the FMH reveal and Arya's reaction seems disingenuous to her actual personality, but it's not too terrible. I will not even go into Arya turning into a giant raven to avoid certain death by turbolaser! It's a kick ass scene but really just the first nail in the coffin of pre-reset Arya, as I could never decide if she was a shapeshifter or what was going on with her, and her backstory got sort of confusing the more I tried to justify things.

Conclusion - SCC still kicks ass and is a sort of amazing example of cooperation between roleplayers. I'm proud to have been a part of it.