PDA

View Full Version : Gotta drink 'em all: random drinks!

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Oct 21st, 2013, 12:01:18 AM
Cause you need to tell us what you've been drinking, whether it be a type of beer or mixed drink.

And don't be shy - you're talking to someone who is as happy drinking a hoity-toity bourbon barrel aged whatever as she is a Milwaukee's Best. So get to confessing!

Today I have had more than a few Sam Adams' Oktoberfest, interspersed with some sort of cab red ale or something, and Charley's Tit's Up! followed by Trillman Crunkpote. To be honest, Trillman was my favorite.

So get to drinkan'!

Ilias Nytrau
Oct 21st, 2013, 12:08:28 AM
I drank vodka just to finish off the cranberry juice in the fridge, this morning. But you knew that already. Been toying with the thought of opening the bottle of Rumrunner in the fridge (my favourite cider) just about all day. Drinking water out of 'Crown Royal' branded glasses has really made me want some Crown - it's been a while. I guess I know what I'll be coming home with the next time I darken the door of a liquor store.

Charley
Oct 21st, 2013, 12:12:16 AM
Tits Up! is certainly a beer I'd like to revisit and brew later at a cooler temp with half the oak and double the vanilla. It's not a bad beer, it's just less than I'd like I guess.

But yeah Trillman was great tonight. Kinda mad that I didn't bring that bottle to my job interview because there was no wild yeast in that bottle and it was quite clean in flavor. Mean hops though. That's right on the border on what I want in a Belgian.

Really enjoyed Blue Pants Big & Tall #2 though. After being so burned having that beer fresh on draft, it took a strong sell to get me to buy it in a bottle. Night and day difference, wow. I hope I can find more of it this season because I'd love to trade it.

Brewing note: gonna brew the peanut brown ale this week, hopefully tomorrow if I'm awesome. Gonna actually try and give a go at temperature control this time.

Emelie Shadowstar
Oct 21st, 2013, 01:33:56 AM
Yesterday was far more interesting than today since I visited a local brewery <3 - We're going there when folks finally come out here. Their taproom set up was sweet... even had a bunch of games you could grab and play at your table if you wanted so color me impressed.

Today was just a "Julian Hard Cider" ...hadn't tried that type before. Not sure if I'll buy it again but it wasn't bad.

Crusader
Oct 21st, 2013, 04:08:23 AM
I drank Sweet Woodruf Mead and a lot of other types of mead at the fantasy convention last weekend.

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 21st, 2013, 10:09:22 AM
Nothing right now... but there's a decent chance that by the time you are reading this post, I am drinking cider, specifically Strongbow.

Aimee Connors
Oct 21st, 2013, 11:24:25 AM
I'm drinking Rockstar. I had some cheap white wine at the wedding on Saturday though! I'm going to work on acquiring the taste for wine...someday. :x

This coming Saturday shall be my drinking day. Halloween party! I'm making Jell-O shots.

edit: what drinks can you make out of cookie dough vodka? I just need to google it.

Charley
Oct 21st, 2013, 12:24:44 PM
I can't session wine unless it's something like a good red, but I'm usually pretty good with pairing it with food. I don't know any real fine points about it though, just vague expectations for each major varietal

Emelie Shadowstar
Oct 21st, 2013, 09:31:15 PM
Drinking the local "West-Coast" IPA (from Eagle Rock Brewery) that I fell madly in love with at the brewery on Saturday. We got a growler...no regrets <3

Charley
Oct 21st, 2013, 11:02:57 PM
I'm thinking about trolling for a growler myself. Hop City's got a limited run of Yellowhammer Frankenhammer Casked Belgian Strong Ale. It always sells out crazy fast so I may get that now because I don't know when/if I'll be lucky enough to snag a bomber.

I also need to make up my mind on attending FestiveAle this year. Fall/Winter beer festivals are fun, but I'm not sure they're worth the expense because your palate gets wrecked on very few beers and anything after the first half dozen are basically wasted on you unless you're very prepared.

Serrena Alcine
Oct 21st, 2013, 11:25:56 PM
Delightful glass of retsina with dinner this evening (type of Greek white wine).

Charley
Oct 21st, 2013, 11:32:59 PM
I'm gonna keep going to the well with Sam Adams Oktoberfest until it's no longer in season because it rules.

Serrena Alcine
Oct 22nd, 2013, 12:01:11 AM
A fine idea, Charley!

I'm picking up some Oktoberfest on my way home from work tomorrow. Had a glass from the tap just the other day as my first of the season. It's a damn fine thing to live about 90 feet from a brand new bar. Will take pictures next time I'm in there.

Ilias Nytrau
Oct 22nd, 2013, 12:07:36 AM
*gasps*

I am so out of sorts I completely forgot that it's October and thus my favourite seasonal is probably out, now. >.<

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Oct 22nd, 2013, 12:08:04 AM
I had a Trillman Crunkpote earlier this afternoon. It's my second favorite one Charley has brewed, with the first being Hoppy Golightly.

Charley
Oct 22nd, 2013, 12:12:14 AM
A fine idea, Charley!

I'm picking up some Oktoberfest on my way home from work tomorrow. Had a glass from the tap just the other day as my first of the season. It's a damn fine thing to live about 90 feet from a brand new bar. Will take pictures next time I'm in there.

One of my favorite things about going to Boston is that it's the only place you can buy Brick Red Ale, which is also a really good Sam. I'm kinda picky on reds and it's a real good one.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Oct 22nd, 2013, 11:40:48 AM
Drinking a Founder's Dirty Bastard. It's very full, and leaves a weird clean-yet-lingering smoky aftertaste.

Dee
Oct 22nd, 2013, 12:28:02 PM
I may or may not have had a glass of wine for lunch...*cough*

*innocent look*

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 22nd, 2013, 03:41:30 PM
tried a two new things as part of the real ale festival going on at a chain pub near ours:

Bateman's Hazelnut Brownie - blimey, that's a weird one. fudgey, chocolate, fruity oof. couldn't drink more than a pint.

JW Lee's Cora - much more straight forward bitter!

Ilias Nytrau
Oct 22nd, 2013, 09:12:42 PM
Okay, cider. It's Tuesday. Let's do... some of this.

Charley
Oct 22nd, 2013, 09:42:10 PM
Englanders, need your recommendations for a good bitter or something in the range of a good malty British pale. Got a clone book and am seriously thinking about brewing something close to the character of old speckled hen

Charley
Oct 24th, 2013, 04:40:06 PM
Holy shit, Cigar City Brewing is now back in Alabama. Gonna go pick up a sixer of Jai Alai!!!

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 27th, 2013, 12:57:20 PM
Rekorderlig premium winter cider - just the right balance of cinnamon and vanilla.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 27th, 2013, 02:21:41 PM
I took the title to heart last night.

Kurth Halx
Oct 27th, 2013, 05:54:34 PM
Having Terrapin Tree Hugger Altbier and Magic Hat #9 wit today. Also Terrapin Mosaic Red which is great.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 27th, 2013, 07:27:05 PM
I think I only had three mixed drinks and like...four Jell-O shots. I didn't eat anything all day until party time though, whoops.

Kara Hawkins
Oct 27th, 2013, 09:35:38 PM
Drinking probably my favorite "just for the hell of it" wine: Fetzer's Gewürztraminer. :swoon:

Charley
Oct 29th, 2013, 11:49:27 PM
I haven't had Fetzer's Gewürztraminer but I certainly like their Sauv Blanc so I imagine I'd like this too.

Right now I'm debating on having Jai Alai. They're so good but I don't want to blow through them all.

EDIT: Going for a pint of Tit's Up! instead. I've got a certain number of them rationed that I can afford to drink and still have enough for the holidays.

Other than that I basically just hover over the two fermentors I've got going right now, trying to discern things from yeast farts.

Callista
Oct 30th, 2013, 07:04:24 PM
I love your brew name...

Kara Hawkins
Oct 30th, 2013, 08:40:16 PM
moooreeeee Banana Bread Beer.

Charley
Nov 1st, 2013, 02:13:37 PM
So after brewing 40 gallons of beer this year I have finally had my first bottle bomb. A bottle of Tits Up! burst in its crate. I opened another to test it out and the carbonation and flavor are fine so that probably means that a single bottle had a wild microbe infection. That would be the second such bottle I've had which got a little wild in it.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 3rd, 2013, 01:00:06 PM
I drank a whole bunch of things last night, including lots of punch, which I am guessing is the reason my head is still hurting :|

Charley
Nov 3rd, 2013, 02:11:29 PM
First tasting of my peanut brown ale and it's quite dry, definitely peanut flavor present, but it's also got an odd aroma that accentuates the alcohol. Hopefully that calms down

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 5th, 2013, 04:55:33 PM
It's tapas Tuesday... so naturally I had some San Miguel today

Mu Satach
Nov 7th, 2013, 12:22:42 AM
I'm on the hunt for black vodka so I can make a Black Widow.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Nov 7th, 2013, 08:54:24 AM
Champagne of beers, suckers. 'Cause I'm classy as shit.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 7th, 2013, 12:20:26 PM
^ ..what is that?

Cerie Moreau
Nov 7th, 2013, 12:45:53 PM
Miller High Life. I'd put it in the same class as Milwaukee's Best and Red Dog, but still better than the likes of Colt 45, Olde English, and King Cobra.

Liam Dunsirn
Nov 7th, 2013, 01:16:04 PM
Might as well drink some Steel Reserve while you're at it. Olde English!? All those beers barely qualify as fit for human consumption. Which is to say, of course Miller HL is better than them. :p

Its like saying Thunderbird is a wine. ;)

Charley
Nov 8th, 2013, 01:18:42 PM
I've got a fermentor freed up to brew again. I'll probably make Rastabilly Skank 2.0 by direct pitching the yeast cake from HB9, so I need another better idea. Maybe a session IPA. Either way, not looking forward to cleaning out a pound of peanut butter from the bucket :x

Factoring in bottles that will be given to friends and family, I should have at least 2 cases of bombers to bring out to Nevada for the holidays. More likely it'll be 3 cases. That's not a lot of beer all things considered, but it feels like a lot.

Charley
Nov 8th, 2013, 01:23:13 PM
Strike that I lied because I am a dumb idiot baby. The best option for brewing in the window I have is a Russian Imperial Stout.

Mu Satach
Nov 9th, 2013, 12:36:48 AM
Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Nov 9th, 2013, 12:54:58 AM
On the rocks?

Mu Satach
Nov 9th, 2013, 01:39:02 PM
You know it. :)

Thank God for roommates with fully stocked liquor cabinets in a state that over regulates beverages of the tasty kind.

Kara Hawkins
Nov 9th, 2013, 02:51:04 PM
This thing has no name. It is sufficiently girlie.

Blackberry Juice
Fuckton of Rum
Smidge of Vanilla Vodka

...yes those are technical terms/measures.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Nov 9th, 2013, 03:11:02 PM
I am drinking bad beer. I expect a thorough dressing down for such a despicable act.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 9th, 2013, 04:00:40 PM
I am drinking bad beer. I expect a thorough dressing down for such a despicable act.
Well, as long as you're aware. ;) I was JOKING :(

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Nov 9th, 2013, 04:32:03 PM
Oh, I'm aware, baby ^_-

Mu Satach
Nov 9th, 2013, 08:47:56 PM
Tonights choice - Basil Hayden's on the rocks.

Kara Hawkins
Nov 9th, 2013, 09:31:45 PM
Pear cider... At the movie theater :| I wish I could say it makes me feel better but it does not.

Vittore Montegue
Nov 10th, 2013, 01:43:50 AM
Pear cider... At the movie theater :| I wish I could say it makes me feel better but it does not.

That's because you didn't follow Rufus' advice. There's no point drinking if it ain't Johnny Walker Blue Label. :|

Charley
Nov 10th, 2013, 07:23:40 PM

Nice choice. Good rocks bourbon.

Lets see: last night during the Bama/LSU game we went through Tits Up!, Brummie, and Trillman Crunkpote out of my own stash, then cherrypicked through a case each of Sam Adams Fall & Holiday seasonals, followed by a splash of Glenlivet 12 and then Crown Royal XR.

A good evening for drinking.

Kara Hawkins
Nov 10th, 2013, 08:39:49 PM
It's margarita time, bitches! :dance

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 11th, 2013, 12:16:39 PM
Coffee.

wait, does that count

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 11th, 2013, 05:36:41 PM
Coffee.

wait, does that count

I say yes!

:gavel

Mu Satach
Nov 11th, 2013, 08:12:26 PM

A friend of mine introduced me to it several years ago and it's become one of my favorites. :)

Tonights beverage - Samuel Adams Blackberry Witbier

Sadie K'Vesh
Nov 11th, 2013, 10:42:20 PM
Drank with my mother... A Sauvignon Blanc from Nobilo.

Oh New Zealand, your wine is awesome. :swoon:

Charley
Nov 11th, 2013, 11:14:59 PM

A friend of mine introduced me to it several years ago and it's become one of my favorites. :)

Basil Hayden goes in the same category as Bookers to me. Spicy and complex.

The witbier though? It's not my favorite. Tastes like old gum.

Tonight I had x2 Sam Adams old fezziwig, avondale vanillaphant porter, and the home label brown

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 11th, 2013, 11:19:23 PM
Cherry Coke Zero with Whipped Cream Vodka

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 12th, 2013, 05:03:20 PM
Gin on a Tuesday night, yeap.

Mu Satach
Nov 14th, 2013, 12:26:37 AM

Basil Hayden goes in the same category as Bookers to me. Spicy and complex.

The witbier though? It's not my favorite. Tastes like old gum.

I've never had it and was looking for something new to try. :) Haven't made up my mind yet if I like or dislike it.

tonight's choice - water

Charley
Nov 14th, 2013, 06:25:32 PM
The past few nights I've been enjoying Glenmorangie 10 single malt scotch and good people ipa.

Tonight? Uh, does NyQuil count?

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 14th, 2013, 06:56:06 PM
Are you drinking it?

Charley
Nov 16th, 2013, 12:55:30 AM
As a part of a recommended dosage, yes.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 16th, 2013, 12:28:43 PM
Strongbow

duh

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 16th, 2013, 12:47:25 PM
Rockstar Sparkling Energy, Cherry Citrus with Natural Caffeine.

all the cool kids will be drinking it when it hits the shelves. That's right! I'm drinking something you can't buy!

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Nov 17th, 2013, 12:08:54 PM
So, I was just thinking.

We have some real-world drinks that folks have invented for our Star Wars slice of heaven, but what about the definitive Fans (or Holonet) drink? Conversely, what would we call it, even? The Nerd? Or should we put together a series of drinks to correspond with our nerdly events? The Burning Nerd, the Salty Nerd (har har), the Crimson Nerd, the Euro Nerd?

Morgan Evanar
Nov 17th, 2013, 03:40:07 PM
Various bourbons and whiskeys. Glenmorgaine, Jim Beam Black, Jim Beam Rye.

Droo
Nov 17th, 2013, 03:41:58 PM
Johnnie Walker Black Label, in honour of Christopher Hitchens.

Captain Untouchable
Nov 17th, 2013, 06:43:07 PM
Port.

I have no idea what kind... but when Jason is presented with a glass of port, he does not ask questions.

Emelie Shadowstar
Nov 17th, 2013, 06:53:16 PM
All the cider, apparently.

Mu Satach
Nov 18th, 2013, 12:38:42 PM
Pumpkin Spice Coffee w/cream and 2 shots of carmel

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 18th, 2013, 02:12:48 PM
some belgian cheery witbeer that tastes like sweets!

Charley
Nov 18th, 2013, 10:46:14 PM
Yellowhammer Frankenhammer casked Belgian strong dark ale
Druid City Tuskaloosa Irish stout
Avery Jubilation old ale
Stone Enjoy by 12/13/13 imperial ipa
Yellowhammer Rebellion red ale
Left Hand Nitro milk stout
a sample of my HB-9 extra special bitter from the hydrometer

And I'll nightcap with a splash of Crown Royal / LaSalle XR

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 21st, 2013, 02:58:48 PM
Edinburgh Gin's spiced orange gin with white cava as a mixer

Charley
Nov 21st, 2013, 05:43:49 PM
Edinburgh Gin's spiced orange gin with white cava as a mixer

At the risk of derailing the drinking thread, how were the freedom biscuits that went with?? :D

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 22nd, 2013, 11:16:13 AM
^ Haha, I told my mam that I knew you'd pick up on her use of the word 'biscuit'! They're good :) quite cheesy but I didn't catch any of the hint of mustard or paprika that she put in there.

Charley
Nov 22nd, 2013, 01:55:34 PM
Catching up on a few days worth of drinking:

Good People Mumbai Rye (a few servings from a growler)
Lagunitas IPA
Abita Andygator Weizenbock
Back Forty Truck Stop Honey Brown Ale
Avondale Vanillaphant Porter
Sam Adams Winter Lager

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 22nd, 2013, 02:04:11 PM
Mordue's Radgie Gadgie

proper local beer

Halajiin Rabeak
Nov 22nd, 2013, 04:04:56 PM
Newcastle Bombshell, tonight.

Halajiin Rabeak
Nov 22nd, 2013, 04:08:22 PM
I've made up a drink that I thoroughly enjoy. I call it the "Razorback," and those I have made it for also seem to quite like it.

1/4 oz Cointreau, or other orange liqueur
1/2 - 1 oz sweet dark rum, Seven Tiki if possible
1 oz Schwartzhog (Necessary. But you can substitute with Jeagermiester for a vastly inferior, yet somewhat similar, end result)
5 oz cranberry juice.

Mix all liquids, serve over ice. If you can accurately describe the flavor, I applaud you. It's good like Dr. Pepper: you enjoy it, and have no idea what it actually tastes like. That's the Razorback.

Charley
Nov 22nd, 2013, 07:01:25 PM
I might be able to create that. I don't have schwartzhog, but I have ur rumpel that is much more herby and peppery than jäger so all I need is cranberry juice

Sadie K'Vesh
Nov 23rd, 2013, 09:53:36 PM
Havin' an Old Fashioned :smokin

Charley
Nov 24th, 2013, 11:32:30 AM
Beery ho-down:
Stone Cali-Belqigue Belgian IPA
Back Forty Harvest English IPA
Singha Thai Lager
Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan Brown Ale
T-Rex Brummie Peanut English Brown Ale

And a classic dry martini with a lime twist for cocktail kicks

Havin' an Old Fashioned :smokin

Damn straight. This is cocktails done correct.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 24th, 2013, 01:02:13 PM
Banana bread beer

apparently it's a fruity evening, cause next up is an orange gin and soda

Saidra
Nov 24th, 2013, 02:04:28 PM
^ YESSSSSS...

Chocolate Stout by Samuel Smith. It's yum <3

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 24th, 2013, 02:10:14 PM
think there's another Rokerderlig winter cider on the cards next

banana, orange, apple: 3 of my 5 a day!

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 26th, 2013, 02:19:42 PM
I drank a bunch of stout tonight, and it was good.

Charley
Nov 26th, 2013, 10:10:40 PM
Made a peppermint patty (hot chocolate + mint schnapps) because its freakin cold outside.

Dee
Nov 26th, 2013, 10:25:31 PM
I had hot chocolate with whipped cream on top...and an ample amount of Kahlua. Happy times.