PDA

View Full Version : Take Two

Urik Panteer
Sep 29th, 2013, 09:10:23 PM
So Reshmar said I should probably post here. Hi guys! I'm...well, yeah, I guess I'm new. I'm Mike, also Zark. I've been writing at TRF for about 10 years now and for a few before that I was at The Gungan Council back in the old old days. I excel mostly at abandoning Vega threads, but I also major in Force stuff and Lightsabers. TRF is still going, but the Force game is pretty weak there, and I miss hitting people with pretty sticks. So yeah, this is Urik. He's a "pilot" character, I'm open to criticism/berating. But here's where I'm at: http://theholo.net/wiki/index.php/Urik_Panteer

Ben Merasska
Sep 29th, 2013, 11:07:10 PM
Ohoho! Another Alderaani pilot, eh? Not enough of us around, I say.

Wait. You're saying you can... you know... do those Forcey things Jedi and Inquisitors do? And that he's not a pilot, but a 'pilot'?

No fair.

Urik Panteer
Sep 30th, 2013, 12:22:36 AM
He started out as a pure Jedi candidate, but the more I got into the Panteer thing the more I leaned towards pilot. I can tweak it a little if a Force sensitive pilot would be considered "OP".

Ben Merasska
Sep 30th, 2013, 12:34:10 AM
He started out as a pure Jedi candidate, but the more I got into the Panteer thing the more I leaned towards pilot. I can tweak it a little if a Force sensitive pilot would be considered "OP".

Firstly, a force sensitive pilot wouldn't be overpowered, in my opinion (I could argue for a bit on natural talent and practice vs force sensitivity). What is most important is how much the character's abilities make sense in the context of the writing going on. Making Panteer a nightmare pilot to face would make more sense if we saw him grow into the role rather than simply appearing and being amazing, but that's not a hard and fast rule. More of a guideline to sure success.

If you're looking for a thread or something to introduce Panteer to the boards, maybe Ben can be of service.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 30th, 2013, 02:09:41 AM
I'm about to go to sleep, but welcome!

Ilias Nytrau
Sep 30th, 2013, 09:35:49 AM
Welcome. I hope you enjoy your stay, and that you make yourself at home. :D

Urik Panteer
Sep 30th, 2013, 12:32:20 PM
Firstly, a force sensitive pilot wouldn't be overpowered, in my opinion (I could argue for a bit on natural talent and practice vs force sensitivity). What is most important is how much the character's abilities make sense in the context of the writing going on. Making Panteer a nightmare pilot to face would make more sense if we saw him grow into the role rather than simply appearing and being amazing, but that's not a hard and fast rule. More of a guideline to sure success.

If you're looking for a thread or something to introduce Panteer to the boards, maybe Ben can be of service.

As far as the first thing, I was really worried about that when I began leaning towards Rebel stuff, which is why I made him an initiate with absolutely no control over his abilities and no training. But you're right, it does feel a little Mary Sueish. I don't want to be that guy. Give me some time to think and I'll work up something without the Force influence, it was kind of a key reason for keeping him on New Alderaan, but I can work around that.

And I really appreciate the offer, as far as the second thing. I feel like the hardest part is going to be for my character to break into your world without any deep OOC connections. Feel free to IM me whenever and we can discuss!

And thanks for the warm welcome, everyone else! :)

Zereth Lancer
Sep 30th, 2013, 12:53:32 PM
Once you have your character figured out I'm sure we can facilitate anything you want to write. We have quite the cast of characters.

And welcome.

Urik Panteer
Sep 30th, 2013, 06:38:26 PM
So I got bored today and this happened: http://theholo.net/wiki/index.php/Zark

Vince
Sep 30th, 2013, 07:55:54 PM

As far as the first thing, I was really worried about that when I began leaning towards Rebel stuff, which is why I made him an initiate with absolutely no control over his abilities and no training. But you're right, it does feel a little Mary Sueish. I don't want to be that guy. Give me some time to think and I'll work up something without the Force influence, it was kind of a key reason for keeping him on New Alderaan, but I can work around that.

And I really appreciate the offer, as far as the second thing. I feel like the hardest part is going to be for my character to break into your world without any deep OOC connections. Feel free to IM me whenever and we can discuss!

And thanks for the warm welcome, everyone else! :)

Oh dear. I was trying to say that he didn't sound like a Gary Stu (especially given the lack of training), but Zark is an absolutely amazing idea for a character. If that's where my input led you, I will gladly take credit. If you want to get in touch as to working out an intro for Panteer to the boards, it would be better to shoot me a PM through this account and through there to emails rather than IM, given some time constraints.

Urik Panteer
Oct 1st, 2013, 02:41:43 PM
PM sent! Yeah, I suspected as much, but Urik v1 was a jack of all trades character on a board where people tend to specialize, and I didn't want to complicate things as a newbie any more than I have to.