PDA

View Full Version : SW-Fans to TheHolo.Net Progression

Crusader
Jun 16th, 2013, 09:29:48 AM
I think nobody has done this already so I just thought I open up a thread for all update related issues.

For example where is the new post button?

So maybe we can collect ideas and solutions here.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 16th, 2013, 11:31:01 AM
Good idea :) If anyone has any questions about how new features and such work, post them here. Of course we are still working out everything ourselves.

What do you mean by the new post button?

Emelie Shadowstar
Jun 16th, 2013, 01:15:22 PM
I'm finding the "forgot password" page(s) don't seem to be working.

http://theholo.net/forum/login.php?do=lostpw - Used this last night. Never got an email. (Or...many e-mails as the case may be since it just asks for an email address so I'm assuming it's attempting to reset all my accounts.)
Don't ask why I didn't use the same password for all my accounts. I thought I did, but apparently didn't for Saidra and some others. lol

TheHolo.Net
Jun 16th, 2013, 01:28:14 PM
Forums sending mail was broken. It has been fixed now. Thanks!

Emelie Shadowstar
Jun 16th, 2013, 01:28:43 PM
yay! thanks! :D

Crusader
Jun 16th, 2013, 02:37:02 PM
The front page used to have this button called New Posts that made a search for new and unread posts. Right next to it the number of posts that were done since your last visit was shown and it told you when you visited the forums the last time.

Crusader
Jun 16th, 2013, 03:57:47 PM
OK I found it. It is now directly below "What's New?"

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 16th, 2013, 03:59:39 PM
So it is! Although the front page needs a lot of work on it, so hopefully we will have what you mentioned on there eventually too.

Érinthe Hetetlen
Jun 16th, 2013, 05:01:22 PM
What's the "Tags for this Thread" box down \/ there about?

Is it like tagging a blog post? If so, that could be a really snazzy way for us to make it easier to find threads for a specific setting / arc / etc.

Crusader
Jun 17th, 2013, 01:52:32 AM
BTW what happens if I push blog this post?

Crusader
Jun 17th, 2013, 01:53:46 AM
I really do like the multi quote button!

TheHolo.Net
Jun 17th, 2013, 10:21:04 AM
The Wiki is up and running http://theholo.net/wiki, but I have closed it to modifications and registrations until I can get the vB to Mediawiki user bridge working.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 17th, 2013, 11:12:35 AM
The 'Blues' style set feels more nostalgic than ever right now. It might be my memory playing tricks, but it looks to me so much like I remember the ezboard looking :')

TheHolo.Net
Jun 17th, 2013, 11:14:14 AM
I still have a lot of icon work to do too, but nostalgic, yet updated, is what I am going for. Blues is my pet style right now, mine!

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 17th, 2013, 11:19:38 AM
Will there be buttons with lightsabers? :D

TheHolo.Net
Jun 17th, 2013, 11:22:05 AM
Since the new thread and reply buttons are no longer images by default I am not sure, but thanks for the reminder about the old buttons.

Crusader
Jun 17th, 2013, 02:19:41 PM
The 'Blues' style set feels more nostalgic than ever right now. It might be my memory playing tricks, but it looks to me so much like I remember the ezboard looking :')

So that is why you picked up old Legolas as an avatar? Or is it new Legolas?

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 17th, 2013, 02:33:12 PM
old Legolas ;) it's my avatar from my Greater Jedi Order days

Jorann Lokar
Jun 17th, 2013, 03:21:28 PM
I haven't yet found a way to view your Rep comment archives.

I did, however, get a notification when Morg gave me new Rep, which is great! I used to just periodically run through all my accounts' control panels like a junior high girl compulsively checking her locker for cards on Valentine's Day, growing increasingly desperate with each school bell, wondering WHY, God, WHY, are my friends only PRETENDING to like me when actually they think I'm a DISGUSTING FAT COW who...

Um...

So, yeah! Nice feature!

Droo
Jun 17th, 2013, 04:09:51 PM
I may have missed it somewhere, but do we still have a few different addresses for the site? I used to be logged in on three different accounts simultaneously this way; one for this account, the other for my Star Wars characters, and the third for my general roleplaying accounts. Is this still possible?

TheHolo.Net
Jun 17th, 2013, 05:00:17 PM
We do still have multiple URLS, but they are all forced to http://theholo.net as soon as you navigate anywhere on the page. My old relative URL forum tricks don't work in this vB version. Quick account Switch will have to suffice for now.

http://www.theholo.net
http://www.sw-fans.net
http://sw-fans.net

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 17th, 2013, 08:17:51 PM
The new mobile style is pretty snazzy, but I admit it'll take me a few days to get used to. One thing I noticed right off the bat is that I can now see images in mobile. Also I have a lot more options than I did in the previous one.

One thing that I like is that if I really feel like it, I can switch to the other stylesets which I couldn't do before.

Morgan Evanar
Jun 17th, 2013, 09:05:59 PM
I'm looking forward to flattening and inverting the colors on the mobile style set.

TheHolo.Net
Jun 18th, 2013, 11:02:02 AM
I will work on Spoiler tags soon! I know they are broken in all styles.

Captain Untouchable
Jun 18th, 2013, 11:06:18 AM
The mobile style is snazzy.

Had a play with the tags, and they look pretty useful. I can see it being helpful when we're doing arcs like the Dan/s'Il stuff and the Vanguards arc, or with groups like Rogue Squadron, Shadow Squadron, the Novgorod, etc: you'll be able to click on the tag and find all the other threads that have been tagged to match it, which is probably easier than trawling through forums or search results.

We're only able to add two tags, though. Is that a changeable setting within the software, or is it set in stone?

TheHolo.Net
Jun 18th, 2013, 11:08:58 AM
The mobile style is snazzy.

Had a play with the tags, and they look pretty useful. I can see it being helpful when we're doing arcs like the Dan/s'Il stuff and the Vanguards arc, or with groups like Rogue Squadron, Shadow Squadron, the Novgorod, etc: you'll be able to click on the tag and find all the other threads that have been tagged to match it, which is probably easier than trawling through forums or search results.

We're only able to add two tags, though. Is that a changeable setting within the software, or is it set in stone?A new thread starter can use 5, replies can add 2. It can be changed, but its probably bad practice for some reason I am currently not aware of.

Dee
Jun 18th, 2013, 04:06:40 PM
I have no issues to report - just wanted to comment on how amazing it looks so far!

:eee

TheHolo.Net
Jun 18th, 2013, 05:37:22 PM
Spoiler BBCode has been fixed and is now working just like it did in the past.

Worship the simplicity.

TheHolo.Net
Jun 18th, 2013, 05:39:56 PM
Bummer!!! Spoiler text is displayed in the Activity stream....gotta figure that one out.

Captain Untouchable
Jun 18th, 2013, 09:47:26 PM
A new thread starter can use 5, replies can add 2. It can be changed, but its probably bad practice for some reason I am currently not aware of.

This is only possible through the New Thread screen (you can't retroactively add 2+ tags in by editing the first post), which could be a problem. it's very easy to have a brain fart and forget your tags before you hit post: I imagine you're only option if that happens is to nag admins to change things in the admin cp or what have you, which could end up happening often.

TheHolo.Net
Jun 19th, 2013, 06:58:29 AM
I am of the opinion that a new feature that we did just fine without in the past does not need its default settings changed at this time.

Crusader
Jun 19th, 2013, 07:10:33 AM
If you click on a poll in order to look at who has voted on what option, the names will not be displayed correctly. On IE you see them written on top of each other. I have not checked on this in Firefox. I have this bug in the Euro Nerd Poll Thread.

Captain Untouchable
Jun 19th, 2013, 07:28:07 AM
I am of the opinion that a new feature that we did just fine without in the past does not need its default settings changed at this time.

*shrug* It was just a harmless suggestion. Seems a shame to have a new feature and not make the most of it.

TheHolo.Net
Jun 19th, 2013, 08:15:17 AM
*shrug* It was just a harmless suggestion. Seems a shame to have a new feature and not make the most of it.Default vBulletin options are generally set for good reason and make features perfectly usable. For a feature that no one is really familiar with or has even used extensively, I think it best to stick with the default. When we have multiple people stating a change needs to be made and actual proof the change is needed, I will reconsider.

TheHolo.Net
Jun 19th, 2013, 08:15:40 AM
If you click on a poll in order to look at who has voted on what option, the names will not be displayed correctly. On IE you see them written on top of each other. I have not checked on this in Firefox. I have this bug in the Euro Nerd Poll Thread.We will investigate. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Crusader
Jun 19th, 2013, 10:38:21 AM
We will investigate. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Apparently the issue only appears on the IE at work. My IE at home shows it fine.

TheHolo.Net
Jun 19th, 2013, 11:38:12 AM
Apparently the issue only appears on the IE at work. My IE at home shows it fine.Issues like you describe can often be caused by a non standard size of zoom level within the browser. To adjust the zoom Level in IE hold CTRL and roll the mouse wheel up and down.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 19th, 2013, 12:53:37 PM
I'm having an issue with the Blues styleset, whereby on the main forum listing the 'new post' icon (that looks like a speech bubble) overlaps with the first few letters of the forum name.

This happens even if I zoom out on my browser (Google Chrome)

TheHolo.Net
Jun 19th, 2013, 12:56:16 PM
Hold the shift button and press the F5 key to load the new icons. You have the old icons cached. The icons on the main forum listing should be the old yellow and white light bulbs, which are much smaller.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 19th, 2013, 12:57:33 PM
Aha! ^_^; thanks

Morgan Evanar
Jun 19th, 2013, 03:50:42 PM
Ctrl+0 resets zoom as well.

Callista
Jun 19th, 2013, 06:38:05 PM
Someone might have mentioned this, but when I login, it tries to go to sw-fans.net and gives me an "invalid URL" message inside the forums.

TheHolo.Net
Jun 19th, 2013, 06:51:18 PM
Someone might have mentioned this, but when I login, it tries to go to sw-fans.net and gives me an "invalid URL" message inside the forums.Looks like I got that fixed.

TheHolo.Net
Jun 19th, 2013, 07:40:25 PM
Someone might have mentioned this, but when I login, it tries to go to sw-fans.net and gives me an "invalid URL" message inside the forums.Looks like I got that fixed.Fixing that seems to have made using multiple URLS work a little better now.

http://theholo.net
http://www.theholo.net
http://www.sw-fans.net
http://sw-fans.net

Serena Laran
Jun 19th, 2013, 09:39:53 PM
What is the "Photos" section in my profile now?

TheHolo.Net
Jun 19th, 2013, 10:06:42 PM
What is the "Photos" section in my profile now?I have not checked how the options are setup yet, but gallery type features are built in now. From within your profile create an album and then upload pictures to it.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 19th, 2013, 10:22:39 PM
Huh. Interesting!

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 20th, 2013, 10:29:48 AM
Ok I have a new question: With the "classic" board merged back into this one, is there a way to merge the accounts also? I see we have "James Prent", my current account, and "Imported James Prent", etc, etc. I'm assuming the answer is "no" or "Maybe, but it would be loads of work" - but I'm just curious. ^_^;

TheHolo.Net
Jun 20th, 2013, 10:31:36 AM
Accounts can be merged by administrators. I have done my own to test. I was waiting to announce this until workload went down, and this fact is why I have not cleaned up the old accounts, so that they can be merged when ready.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 20th, 2013, 10:46:09 AM
Oh, okay! That's pretty awesome. :D Pretend I didn't ask

TheHolo.Net
Jun 20th, 2013, 10:55:36 AM
Something to keep in mind for merged accounts. The username of all past posts with the merged account will be updated to the merged account name signature, custom title, etc... You can look in ClassicFans to understand what I mean. Back then my main admin account was SWFans.net. Now that I have merged that account with this one, all of my ClassicFans posts as SwFans.net have been changed to being by TheHolo.Net.

But I suspect all of the "imported_UserName" accounts are prime for merging, since that imported_ prefix was added because the names are already duplicates.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 20th, 2013, 11:06:23 AM
Is that something we have to do on a username by username basis? If so, I can help

TheHolo.Net
Jun 20th, 2013, 11:14:33 AM
Is that something we have to do on a username by username basis? If so, I can helpCorrect, it is a user by user thing.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 20th, 2013, 11:16:58 AM
Alright, let me know when you want to go ahead with that and I will set aside a few (dozen?) hours :)

TheHolo.Net
Jun 20th, 2013, 11:20:32 AM
Alright, let me know when you want to go ahead with that and I will set aside a few (dozen?) hours :)If you have time you can start. As I said earlier, all of the "imported_UserName" are open to merge with no request. There are probably hundreds of them... Other than that people will have to make individual requests.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 20th, 2013, 11:59:15 AM
Wow.. our post counts.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 20th, 2013, 03:59:57 PM
Who has the most now?

;)

Crusader
Jun 20th, 2013, 04:04:06 PM
WTF? Now my 3000 posts look so little in comparison.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 22nd, 2013, 05:20:04 AM
You got some catching up to do, Peter!

Crusader
Jun 23rd, 2013, 04:42:38 AM
BTW do we have a new Favicon design yet? I would love to see a small version of the Tatoo design for that.

Érinthe Hetetlen
Jun 23rd, 2013, 12:25:52 PM
Something appears to have gone a little squiffy with accented letters. Also, there are a few instances (like this (http://theholo.net/forum/showthread.php?23392-Valiant-Footsteps&p=1017292&viewfull=1#post1017292) post) where apostrophes have also gone odd.

TheHolo.Net
Jun 23rd, 2013, 02:17:11 PM
Something appears to have gone a little squiffy with accented letters. Also, there are a few instances (like this (http://theholo.net/forum/showthread.php?23392-Valiant-Footsteps&p=1017292&viewfull=1#post1017292) post) where apostrophes have also gone odd.Caused by some of my experimentation, fixed now I believe.

TheHolo.Net
Jun 23rd, 2013, 02:17:50 PM
BTW do we have a new Favicon design yet? I would love to see a small version of the Tatoo design for that.If several people were to make some Favicons we could pick from....

Érinthe Hetetlen
Jun 23rd, 2013, 05:38:09 PM
Something appears to have gone a little squiffy with accented letters. Also, there are a few instances (like this (http://theholo.net/forum/showthread.php?23392-Valiant-Footsteps&p=1017292&viewfull=1#post1017292) post) where apostrophes have also gone odd.Caused by some of my experimentation, fixed now I believe.

Looks sorted - cheers!

Droo
Jun 24th, 2013, 01:38:04 PM
Will we be seeing widgets beside the forums in the future? Presently most styles make the forums far too wide on my screen, whereas others, such as the Mutants and Circle styles, have the layout compressed which makes it much easier to read. Naturally, if widgets eventually return to the forum layout then that will help combat this issue for me because, while I do love the Blues and Obiwan styles, they're presently too wide for me.

TheHolo.Net
Jun 24th, 2013, 02:16:48 PM
Will we be seeing widgets beside the forums in the future? Presently most styles make the forums far too wide on my screen, whereas others, such as the Mutants and Circle styles, have the layout compressed which makes it much easier to read. Naturally, if widgets eventually return to the forum layout then that will help combat this issue for me because, while I do love the Blues and Obiwan styles, they're presently too wide for me.A sidebar of some kind will eventually be put into place. Also, I plan to implement a system for our styles which will solve the issues you are seeing. I hope to have all styles with two options at some point: Fixed width (what works for you) & Variable width.

Anna Fernandez
Jun 25th, 2013, 08:06:58 PM
Circle and Mutants (while still both works in progress) are still variable width, just compressed to take up 80% of the screen rather than all of it.

This is just an FYI comment :p

Anna Fernandez
Jun 25th, 2013, 08:09:23 PM
The Wiki is up and running http://theholo.net/wiki, but I have closed it to modifications and registrations until I can get the vB to Mediawiki user bridge working.
This link seems to go nowhere - I assume it is because you are probably still tweaking the wiki?

TheHolo.Net
Jun 26th, 2013, 09:09:55 AM
This link seems to go nowhere - I assume it is because you are probably still tweaking the wiki?Its there, but you have to log out of your forums account to see it right now. It is still a work in progress.

Morgan Evanar
Jun 26th, 2013, 03:07:21 PM
I need to look at the css but a fixed/variable width toggle shouldn't be difficult to implement.

TheHolo.Net
Jun 26th, 2013, 08:52:42 PM
I need to look at the css but a fixed/variable width toggle shouldn't be difficult to implement.That would be less messy than having F/W child styles for all of the styles.

Morgan Evanar
Jun 26th, 2013, 10:09:19 PM
I figured most of it out.

We'd need to set the body to this:
body {
width: 1000px; (or whatever)
margin: 0px auto 0px auto;
I'll need to figure out the fiddly javascript and cookie-writing bits later.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 28th, 2013, 01:05:54 PM
Mutant styleset is COMPLETE - until I find something else that needs fixing. If you use it and find something that you can't read or that looks weird please let me know. You can PM me. :)

Dee
Jun 29th, 2013, 12:32:21 AM
Something I just noticed...in a number of the styles, postings within the groups are barely readable or entirely unreadable because the background and text are too lightly colored/similar.

It happens in these:

Black Sun
Cloud City
Cloud City - wip (the blue text and rust background are painful to try to read)
Deathstar
Enclave
Endor
Galactic Empire
Nual
Obi Wan
Rebel Alliance
WoD

Is this something we have control over? Or am I just hallucinating....

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 29th, 2013, 01:30:45 AM
We have control over it, no worries :)

I got the CC - wip one fixed, though since I've decided to claim that one as my pulp mag baby, it will certainly change.

I'll get on Empire, Enclave, and Alliance ASAP :)

edit - I MEAN NO YOU'RE HALLUCINATING!!!

Anna Fernandez
Jun 29th, 2013, 02:11:47 AM
A lot of styles need going over with a fine tooth comb to make sure things like blogs, articles, and groups are styled correctly. It will happen!

... But not tonight. :zzz

Dee
Jun 29th, 2013, 03:25:40 AM
*twitches*

*runs away from the men in the white coats*

Ok! Good to know :)

TheHolo.Net
Jun 30th, 2013, 01:46:19 PM
The Wiki is at least partially functional, maybe even mostly.

Anna Fernandez
Jul 1st, 2013, 10:22:48 AM
Awesome!

i love how it feels a lot more integrated than the previous version, what with style sets and all.

Crusader
Jul 8th, 2013, 04:19:35 AM
A little trivia for the Activity Stream:

Unlike the "New Posts" Button the "activity stream" constantly monitors the activities on the board. Once a post has been made while you have the activity stream open a grey bar will appear in the top listing the number of new activities. Once you click on the bar it will show you the new activities on top of the "Older Activity" and seperate those Activities by drawing a thin line between them.

So whenever you feel the need to troll someone on the forums just keep a window for the "Activity Stream" open!

Crusader
Aug 16th, 2013, 02:46:24 PM
I have a problem. I wanted to write a blog post this evening but I had not finished it yet. So I saved the draft. But now I can't find a way to furhter edit the draft.
Is it possible that I need a special permission from the Blog for this?

This is the URL of the Blog post:
http://www.theholo.net/forum/entry.php?9-The-Phileasson-Saga-The-Story-so-far-Part-2

(http://www.theholo.net/forum/entry.php?9-The-Phileasson-Saga-The-Story-so-far-Part-2)Update:
I found out that when I go to the main page of the blog and click the create new blog post button. I can see my draft but if I try to edit it, I get the following message:

Crusader, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Apparently I do not have the rights to edit blog posts and drafts in a blog that is not my own.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 8th, 2013, 05:02:51 PM
I wonder if there's an answer to Crusaders question?

TheHolo.Net
Sep 10th, 2013, 05:40:46 PM
It looks like it may be related to being in multiple usergroups (a member of secondary groups), and blog permissions being different in those other user groups, but I am not sure. There is no blog permission setting for editing drafts, and nearly everyone on this site is a member of multiple user groups.

Ahnk Rashanagok
Sep 16th, 2013, 06:41:36 AM
The new look is shiny. Thumbs up.

Solomon Latona
Sep 30th, 2013, 06:38:23 AM
Now that we've we've broken in the new software a bit, would it be useful/beneficial/wise to maybe set up a Suggestions/Feedback Box type thread for little thoughts/feedback/etc on the experience people are having?

There may be some little tweaks/thoughts/requests that people have to make things more user friendly, but that probably shouldn't be clogging up the same thread as the tech support hiccups/etc stuff.