PDA

View Full Version : Come on now, let it go!

JMK
May 26th, 2005, 01:30:46 PM
http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/PrequelPrequel_Rumors_of_More_Movies_92928.asp

Some tool came by and spammed all our forums a couple weeks back about the possibility of Star Wars: Episode 0.

It seems this story just won't go away...

darth_mcbain
May 26th, 2005, 01:43:37 PM
:lol - funny, a guy at work mentioned this to me and it sounded like total BS to me... Of course GL can always change his mind, but I don't see it happening, this is it as far as the movies go...

JMK
May 26th, 2005, 02:11:39 PM
This IS total BS as far as another movie goes. This would, however make for an interesting animated movie or something.

Jedi Master Carr
May 26th, 2005, 09:49:49 PM
I think it is possible years from now he could change his mind and let another director do another star wars series but I am sure nothing is even being considered right now.

JMK
May 27th, 2005, 06:43:11 AM
Of course, anything is possible, but I really, really hope that Lucas doesn't make any more movies. If he wants to do TV series set in different eras of the SW universe then I'm ok with that, but the movies should be seen and treated as a unique and separate entity that won't be tampered with.

Jinn Fizz
May 27th, 2005, 07:30:54 AM
I don't want Star Wars to become Star Trek...Trek went to the well way too many times, and as a result, became worn out, uninteresting, and in some ways, a laughingstock. So please, don't let that happen to Star Wars.

No doubt 20th Century Fox execs are salivating for another movie because ROTS has done so well at the BO, but please, George, go out on a high note. ROTS is so very good, please don't let anything tarnish that.

JMK
May 27th, 2005, 08:22:34 AM
My fear is that Lucas the businessman has taken over Lucas the filmmaker. Just like how Vader consumed Anakin. The lure of guaranteed hundreds of millions of dollars is too much for any businessman to resist. Hopefully Lucas has some integrity for this series and doesn't bastardize it with a useless movie that has nothing to do whatsoever with the Skywalker's family story. I don't think he will, but it's got to be tough to turn down a guaranteed $300+ million dollar pay-day.

You made a very good point Jinn. Star Wars cannot be allowed to go down the same path as Star Trek. Look at Star Trek now. Enterprise had to be cancelled in shame because Star Trek is simply irrelevant. Lucas needs to take a note from that and make sure he doesn't make the same mistake.

darth_mcbain
May 27th, 2005, 08:32:31 AM
The lure is there, but I think Lucas' integrity for this series trumps his desire for cash. Heck, he's got plenty, I doubt he'd sell out on this one - he obviously feels strongly about this series, I think he's going to keep it the way it is. For the longest time he's been saying that the movies are about the rise and fall of Darth Vader. That's been told - there isn't any more to that story.

Jedieb
May 27th, 2005, 08:13:18 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
I think it is possible years from now he could change his mind and let another director do another star wars series but I am sure nothing is even being considered right now.

This is really the only scenario I can see SW continuing on the silver screen. I wouldn't mind seeing Lucas let friends like Spielberg or even Zemekis take a shot at SW a few years from now.

JMK
May 28th, 2005, 07:46:07 AM
http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/Lucas_Talks_PreEpsiode_I_Movie_92964.asp

Don't look now, but this is sounding more and more like it's something that will happen:

OK, so we're still skeptical, but apparently the rumors about a pre-Episode I Star Wars film by Lucas himself somewhat have a leg to stand on. On the heels of the second weekend in theaters for the madly successful Revenge of the Sith comes loose talk from the creator himself about the future of Star Wars.

William Ellis chimes in with the first word on the subject:

Well, it surprises me that TFN and other sites didn't report what Lucas said at the 2nd session at C3. He was asked by a fan "Is there any chance of us ever seeing movies in the Knights of the Old Republic Era?"

His response? "Well, we have a TV series and an animated series and depending how those do, this is something we might someday visit ... but it's too far out to really commit to anything."

I posted on your forums and the official forums and it seemed to be ignored but I heard it, and 3 friends heard it and my wife heard the same thing. I know I wasn't imagining things.

Then Mark confirms the action with this follow-up:

Josh - saw your post on this and though I'd throw my 2 cents in...

Lucas, very quickly and very briefly touched on this in his second
presentation at C3. I think everyone got caught up in the TV news, but he did respond to a question about allowing other directors to make more Star Wars movies and commented that this was under consideration and that this era in particular was one that he had in mind. Nothing set in stone, but he did make it sound as if it were more possible than not.

Former TFN Staffer Chris also heard this quote and makes an observation about it as well:

Lisa and I were in the second session too. So was a friend of mine from Texas and she heard the same thing about an "old Old Republic" project being a possibility. But I wouldn't read too much into it: it seemed more like an idle thought that he was just bandying about after the questioner posed it to him.

Interesting. Again, don't celebrate just yet ... but anything is possible, which is more than we could say a week ago. Stay tuned.

I guess it's less than a lock at this point, but this line:
"Well, we have a TV series and an animated series and depending how those do, this is something we might someday visit ... but it's too far out to really commit to anything." apparently from Lucas himself pretty much seals it to me. *Depending* on how the TV series and animated series do? Come on, like they're going to do anything other than be extremely successful?? As far as I'm concerned this stinks. I really don't want to see any more movies at all. From any SW era.

:mad

Jedieb
May 28th, 2005, 08:09:38 AM
This must be what Lucas meant when he said he wanted to do small esoteric films that nobody would want to see.

JMK
May 28th, 2005, 08:58:40 AM
:lol

Seriously, I'm starting to not put any stock into what that man says. On the other hand he did sound as though it would be other people handling the project. So maybe he would make his movies that no one wants to see while others make SW movies that everyone wants to see.