PDA

View Full Version : The mysterious Piano Man

Dasquian Belargic
May 16th, 2005, 02:45:23 PM
http://today.reuters.co.uk/News/newsArticle.aspx?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyID=2005-05-16T134348Z_01_DIT608702_RTRIDST_0_OUKOE-ODD-BRITAIN.XML

LONDON (Reuters) - A smartly dressed man found wandering in a soaking wet suit near a Kent beach has baffled police and care workers after he refused to say a word -- and then gave a virtuoso piano performance.

The man, wearing a formal black suit and tie, was spotted by police in Kent last month and taken to a psychiatric unit where it proved impossible to identify him because he stayed silent.

It was only after he was given a pen and paper that carers were given an intriguing clue to his possible background when he drew an intricate picture of a grand piano.

He was taken to the hospital's chapel where he played classical music on the piano for hours.

There have been suggestions that the man might be a refugee or asylum seeker suffering shock and amnesia.

"We have had over 80 calls this morning," said a spokeswoman for the National Missing Persons Helpline. "A few names have been suggested and so far there is nothing to suggest he may be a refugee."

Newspapers said members of the public had contacted authorities to say they may have seen the man giving concert performances around Europe.

The man, whose picture has appeared in newspapers as part of the appeal to identify him, has now been moved to a secure psychiatric unit in a hospital east of London.

"He's not talking at all," a spokeswoman for West Kent National Health Service told a news conference. "He is very frightened. He is drawing, but not to communicate.

"He is a very vulnerable man and we would be putting him in a dangerous situation if we let him go," she added.

The Daily Telegraph said the man, in his 20s or 30s, is believed to be English and may have suffered a mental breakdown.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4550069.stm

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm finding this fascinating.

Lady Vader
May 16th, 2005, 02:58:15 PM
That's quite intriguing. I wonder who he could be?

Lilaena De'Ville
May 16th, 2005, 04:59:18 PM
He's obviously from the future. Like in 12 Monkeys.

Rognan Dar
May 16th, 2005, 07:32:12 PM
That is kind of weird... Composing his own stuff right on the spot? I dont know anyone that can just sit down and start making something that sounds like a piece without working to much on it.

Wei Wu Wei
May 16th, 2005, 09:22:08 PM
Play us a song, you're the Piano man. Sing us a song tonight. That's an incredible story. It's like out of a book or a movie.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 17th, 2005, 01:04:47 PM
Originally posted by Rognan Dar
That is kind of weird... Composing his own stuff right on the spot? I dont know anyone that can just sit down and start making something that sounds like a piece without working to much on it. an article on MSN says that the man is not a virtuouso, but he plays simple tunes.

Rognan Dar
May 17th, 2005, 08:35:01 PM
Oh, that makes a bit more sense then. Even so, it said someting about how it all sounded classical or whatnot, yet not someone elses work.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 17th, 2005, 11:26:07 PM
He could improvise without being incredibly gifted at playing the piano. And you only barely have to know what you're doing to impress people.

Dasquian Belargic
May 18th, 2005, 04:04:32 AM
He has to have some talent though, if he's been playing for hours on end for a few days. People watching him would notice if he was playing the same thing over and over :p

Corias Bonaventure
May 18th, 2005, 03:07:30 PM
Originally posted by Rognan Dar
That is kind of weird... Composing his own stuff right on the spot? I dont know anyone that can just sit down and start making something that sounds like a piece without working to much on it.

I do. There's a fellow in my chamber choir at Cedarville who can sit down at a piano and improvise some really good stuff off the top of his head, and he can go for quite a while. Granted, much of it's based on common chord structures and arpeggios, but it's good enough to pass as a decent composition.

To be able to improvise classical-sounding music would be more of a trick, but I imagine there are people who can do it. If you can come up with and perform chord structures on the fly, then find a way to create a melody and do some clever variations on it, that's enough to sound really impressive.

Obviously there's a discrepancy here, though, if Reuters calls him a virtuoso and MSN says he was playing only simple tunes...

Priscilla Sato
May 18th, 2005, 07:47:19 PM
Also take into account the Reuters report that he drew an "intricate picture" of a grand piano. This sounds to me like the man--barring, of course, his playing some kind of remarkable hoax, which, cynical as I am, I do not believe him to be doing--has a very intimate love of the instrument. I'd say he really is a skilled player.

I heard this report on radio yesterday as I was driving home. I am totally enthralled by the story, I must say. I feel exceptional pity for this man, whoever he is--probably because I'm a music person myself. His story breaks my heart.