PDA

View Full Version : Species Question

Zharoel Ankhta
May 15th, 2005, 07:12:27 PM
I've been snooping around here for a few days tring to get the layout of how things work. I think I have the basic idea of how things are, but I have a question about creating a character.

I want to my character's species to fit my avatar, and I was wondering if there are any 'protoss' like creatures in the star wars universe.

Or could I use protoss as a species, modfied to fit the fairness rules of course.

If the latter option is a possibility, are the natural psychic abilities of the protoss acceptable? Like, using telepathy to project words, emotions, and feelings, and slighy precognitive abilities. (would projecting feelings of pain be considered unfair?)

Oh, and would the psi-blades be an option- The individual focuses his/her mental abilities through amplification crystals located in armor gauntlets to produce a lightsaber-esque blade. About half the length of a lightsaber.

To balance this out, I'd say that any force-inhibiting device/creature would disrupt the protoss's concentration and, therefore, hinder his/her ability to project through telepathy, and completely negate the psi-blades (the 'toss can't concentrate enough energy to form the blade).

Objections and compromises?

Anbira Hicchoru
May 15th, 2005, 07:16:55 PM
Just make a Jedi or a Sith if you want that stuff, I think?

Morgan Evanar
May 15th, 2005, 07:55:38 PM
On the whole I think you're greatly disadvantaged from someone with a lightsaber.

I think some of the species specific advantages are a bit much, like starting with the ablity to project blades. It's also somewhat esoteric and unprecedented, the blades.

Most of what you want, sans blades, would easily be accomplished with a canon SW species with strong Force ability with a specialization in mental disciplines.

Zharoel Ankhta
May 15th, 2005, 08:12:42 PM
Just an idea. I can do without the blades.

Kyle Krogen
May 15th, 2005, 09:10:38 PM
I think the whole thing is a pretty good/cool idea, infact I was thinking of trying to create a protoss character awhile ago but I never got around to it. I think the blades are too much but I think the telepathic projections of words and emotions is ok. There are a few SW species that can communicate telephicaly. I am not a mod/admin so I cannot make the ending choice but I thought I'd throw in my two cense.

Wei Wu Wei
May 15th, 2005, 09:56:35 PM
Some people that I know of start out their characters with just a basic telepathy skill if they want to communicate in ways other than spoken word and they've been let off fine. But as for the rest of it, I would suggest developing those skills through Force training or whatnot.

Zharoel Ankhta
May 16th, 2005, 06:10:00 AM
I'll write up a bio then. Post it in one of the force user forums and tweak it from there.

Kyle Krogen
May 16th, 2005, 09:35:58 PM
I personaly think it would be better if you came up with a different name then Protoss for your character's species and give your character's homeworld a name other then Aiur and possibly place it in the unknown region of the galaxy, well, Aiur isn't really that bad of a name but I still think you shouldn't go around calling yourself a protoss.

And about the Protoss Psi abilities. I think these should be down played as much as possible. The ability to create the Psi storm would be way out of the question unless, perhaps, you where of master rank within a force group (sith, jedi) and tweaked the abilitie of force lightning to have that affect.

Zharoel Ankhta
May 17th, 2005, 06:11:53 AM
Already have the Homeworld as Aiur in the Unkown regions, and as for the ablilities such as psi-storm, I think those high level abilities represent literally hundreds of years of intense training and show a complete mastery of the mind. Training that my character does not have access to, and probably never will seeing as I'm playing him as an exile.

I could use a bit of help on the name. Aiurean is way too overloaded with vowels.

Lion El' Jonson
May 17th, 2005, 06:43:52 AM
For the blades, have you ever considered modifications on the lightsaber design? A saber is, as I understand it, essentially a folded electromagnetic envelope containing plasma. It would not be too hard to modulate the shape into something resembling that of psi-blades, especially as smaller/shorter sabers have been established as being within the realm of possibility through KOTOR and Episode II/III.

We haven't seen evidence of sabers that could shape the blade itself, but I think that doing so wouldn't require severe modifications.

Morgan Evanar
May 17th, 2005, 11:05:33 AM
Originally posted by Zharoel Ankhta
Already have the Homeworld as Aiur in the Unkown regions, and as for the ablilities such as psi-storm, I think those high level abilities represent literally hundreds of years of intense training and show a complete mastery of the mind. Training that my character does not have access to, and probably never will seeing as I'm playing him as an exile.

I could use a bit of help on the name. Aiurean is way too overloaded with vowels. Um, no. You can't.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 17th, 2005, 01:04:05 PM
Morgan - I dont' think Zharoel was saying that they were going to do things like psi-storms. I read that to say that psi-storms would be impossible, because the character has no training and no access to training.

Morgan Evanar
May 17th, 2005, 02:08:41 PM
I was refering to the names. Please change them to something else.

Zharoel Ankhta
May 17th, 2005, 02:25:32 PM
I was refering to the names. Please change them to something else.

Very well then.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 17th, 2005, 04:30:08 PM
Oh, yes. We have strict rules to keep us from infringing on copyrighted names and characters. It is one of the reasons we do not allow 'canon' SW characters (Han Solo, etc) to be played.

Morgan Evanar
May 17th, 2005, 05:43:18 PM
Sorry I came off so terse. I was posting at lunch.

Zharoel Ankhta
May 17th, 2005, 06:43:45 PM
No problem, I completely understand, wouldn't do anyone any good to get in trouble for copyright infringment..

Lion El' Jonson
May 19th, 2005, 04:28:37 AM
Originally posted by Zharoel Ankhta
No problem, I completely understand, wouldn't do anyone any good to get in trouble for copyright infringment..

And welcome to SWFans. :D