PDA

View Full Version : Improving the Forums

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 9th, 2005, 05:20:42 PM
The staff has been talking for the last few months about improving the forums; putting forth ideas to help revitalize and liven things up. We have come up with quite a bit, but there is still some things missing, and that is input and more ideas from the members themselves.

We want to know what you think might be good/fun/interesting to see here. We want to know what makes this place fun for you, and what sort of ideas you have to help make SW-Fans even better. It's the members that really make this place, and so we're asking you what sort of changes you would like to see that would make your roleplaying; and overall experience even better.

Throw out ideas no matter how crazy or simple you think they are, and we [the staff] will do our best to help accomadate and make them happen. Please realize though, that not every single idea will be accepted. This thread is meant to be a springboard of sorts for people, to bounce ideas off of one another and fine-tune things so that we can shape SW-Fans into something more unique than it already is.

Here are a few ideas that we have already come up with and are working on:

1. Writing contests with prizes for the winner(s)
2. New default styleset
3. Animated gif banners for different groups (ie, the Empire, NR/Rebellion/Watch)

There are more, but I don't want to spoil any surprises :)

So let us know what you think would help.

Anbira Hicchoru
May 9th, 2005, 08:06:28 PM
Stylesheets for each of the six films would be awesome.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 10th, 2005, 12:00:11 PM
A "creative" department, with a creative challenges forum for the artists and wanna-be's to face off. A gallery with complete screen caps from all 6 films to be used in creative challenges.

http://lost-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11 they do it in this forum like that, for the tv show Lost. No feelings are hurt, it works very well. Anyone can post a challenge, anyone can enter, and then they're either voted on by whoever stops by, or the starter of the challenge judges them independently.

Vega Van-Derveld
May 10th, 2005, 12:55:59 PM
Two forum suggestions:
IC News. I might have suggested this before, I don't know, but I think it's awesome. You can see it in practice at the Rebel Faction, here: http://therebelfaction.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Character Biographies forum. I know that TSO and GJO have these, but I think it would be cool to have them all in one place, or even just to have a place for people who aren't part of these groups.

Jacen
May 11th, 2005, 09:26:00 AM
Maybe a chat room on the board. I understand that most of us use messanger services, but some that we'd like to communicate with might not.

Anbira Hicchoru
May 11th, 2005, 09:36:42 AM
That's a really good idea actually.

Morgan Evanar
May 11th, 2005, 12:23:42 PM
Originally posted by Jacen
Maybe a chat room on the board. I understand that most of us use messanger services, but some that we'd like to communicate with might not. No, because we can't sit around and moderate it.

Rognan Dar
May 11th, 2005, 02:06:16 PM
Why does it need to be moderated?

Dasquian Belargic
May 11th, 2005, 02:12:28 PM
To deal with spammers, flooders, etc, I'm guessing.

Rognan Dar
May 11th, 2005, 02:14:18 PM
Isn't there a chat room on Meras? How does that work, then? Is it monitored or just the people there are not the sort to abuse it?

Dasquian Belargic
May 11th, 2005, 02:18:03 PM
That isn't moderated, but Meras as a whole receives a much smaller amount of traffic than Fans, and there's never really been a need for moderation. Here, that might not be the case. One example that comes to mind... every so often someone will register here solely for the purpose of advertising some unsavoury website in their profile, hoping to attract some of our large database of members to visit. It's possible that, with a chat room, they could take this sort of thing to the next step and start flooding the room with inappropriate material.

Rognan Dar
May 11th, 2005, 02:22:08 PM
Ah, I see where your going now. It would be nice to have a chat room, but not to the extent of having stuff like that happen. Thanks for clearing that up. =)

JediMaster Orin Di'Freeze
May 11th, 2005, 03:28:55 PM
1.Web art contest.

2. Story Design Contest

3. Structured Web chat-RPG style.

Dasquian Belargic
May 11th, 2005, 04:00:00 PM
1 & 2 we are already discussing, in a manner of speaking :)

3. Structured Web chat-RPG style.

What do you mean by this?

May 11th, 2005, 04:33:08 PM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
1 & 2 we are already discussing, in a manner of speaking :)

What do you mean by this?

In my old days, we will say 1992-1996...we would have 2 people, 1 running the RPG chat, real time, and one person to play the NPC characters.

loads of fun for 2 hrs or so.

i cant think of a time i didnt have fun.

Milivikal k'Vik
May 11th, 2005, 04:39:39 PM
Due to the multinational/multitimezone nature of the board and the fact that most of us have jobs, that's pretty much impossible for the same reasons the chat room is.

May 11th, 2005, 04:42:24 PM
Originally posted by Milivikal k'Vik
Due to the multinational/multitimezone nature of the board and the fact that most of us have jobs, that's pretty much impossible for the same reasons the chat room is.

NOT true. we iron out a time. we know Cali is 3 hours back. latest on a weeknight for me would be 23:00 hours.

i dont mind going to sleep by 12am give or take 10 minutes.

earliest i can make it is 9 PM..

we can try. if it fails. take it down. its not like we are making cars, if the model fails. delete it from the server and keep on moving with what we have.

no harm in TRYING.

Morgan Evanar
May 11th, 2005, 05:10:53 PM
Yes true. We have several British forum members and we're collectively unwilling to schedule our lives around the board. This isn't up for debate. We're happy with the forum format. Some of keep exotic schedules on top of that, and we're not moving to a chat format.

Navaria Tarkin
May 11th, 2005, 05:13:45 PM
This is a thread to give us ideas, we can take your idea into consideration but to be honest, most here have means to chat/communicate with others. Not to mention alot of people have come from real time RPing and prefer posting in threads where they can make a response at their lesuire.

If more like this idea, then let us know, but for now... need to move away from the chats unless there are other concerns and throw out more ideas for the staff to consider about improving our board!

May 11th, 2005, 05:33:35 PM
i merely offered and Idea. I never said it had to replace Anything.

An addition,maybe you didnt get the analogy of a car model- here . there is no loss. either WE like it, and use it. or DELETE it from the server. is that too hard to comp?

Navaria Tarkin
May 11th, 2005, 05:36:03 PM
An addition,maybe you didnt get the analogy of a car model- here . there is no loss. either WE like it, and use it. or DELETE it from the server. is that too hard to comp?

as i said... keep it on topic. Otherwise posts such as this are going to be removed. such comments directed at other posters, especially a staff member are unwarranted and unwelcomed.

May 11th, 2005, 05:40:56 PM
I never would have thought this a place to shoot down and idea. After all. Star wars was created on the idea of diversity. maybe you people havent read that part yet.

good day.

God speed.

Tear
May 11th, 2005, 05:46:43 PM
Yearly or possibly monthly awards for well played characters and stories. That people could vote on.

Something like:

Best Villain

Best up and coming evil character.

Best Hero

Best up and coming new writer.

Best roleplaying story

Best storytelling story

ummm

Most Jedi like character (What i mean by this is what Jedi on the boards best conveys the actual Jedi in the movies etc)

Stuff like that. I think it would be fun and a better way to motivate people to come up with good plots, stories and characters.

Maybe a listing of people who have won the award for the year or month. So people can view and see a link where the person won or why he/she recieved the award

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 11th, 2005, 06:58:56 PM
Originally posted by JediMaster Orin Di'Freeze
I never would have thought this a place to shoot down and idea. After all. Star wars was created on the idea of diversity. maybe you people havent read that part yet.

good day.

God speed.

I should have woken up earlier, heh. I just want to address this real quick, and hopefully clear this misunderstanding up a little more. First off, there's really nothing from stopping any two members from doing this if they are on at the same time. But, Morgan does have a very good point - a majority of us just can't. I myself am a prime example of his 'exotic hours' comment, as I work nights and sleep days (sometimes ALL day).

As far as the chatroom, it's a great idea. Problem is, we run the risk of bots and spammers flooding Fans if we have it hosted and a part of the site. For the sake of keeping such nuisances away, all we need to do is tweak it. Turn it into a satellite operation kind of deal, where there's no official chatroom on the site, yet someone can host IM chatrooms for people to talk and whatnot. I don't see anything wrong with setting dates and times (maybe have them displayed somewhere on the Portal) that are the easiest for everyone, and holding 'chatroom get togethers' on Trillian or Yahoo or whatever IM service you use.

The yearly and monthly awards I really like as well. Like you said, it gives people motivation to write. And possibly learn from others how to write better. I know that when I first showed up here, my writing was pretty bad. But I read what alot of people did, saw how they wrote and looked at their styles, and built from that. Not only that, but it's a great feeling winning an award like any of the categories you listed (especially the ummm one). At least for me it would be :)

May 11th, 2005, 07:26:50 PM
Originally posted by s'Ilancy
I should have woken up earlier, heh. I just want to address this real quick, and hopefully clear this misunderstanding up a little more. First off, there's really nothing from stopping any two members from doing this if they are on at the same time. But, Morgan does have a very good point - a majority of us just can't. I myself am a prime example of his 'exotic hours' comment, as I work nights and sleep days (sometimes ALL day).

As far as the chatroom, it's a great idea. Problem is, we run the risk of bots and spammers flooding Fans if we have it hosted and a part of the site. For the sake of keeping such nuisances away, all we need to do is tweak it. Turn it into a satellite operation kind of deal, where there's no official chatroom on the site, yet someone can host IM chatrooms for people to talk and whatnot. I don't see anything wrong with setting dates and times (maybe have them displayed somewhere on the Portal) that are the easiest for everyone, and holding 'chatroom get togethers' on Trillian or Yahoo or whatever IM service you use.

The yearly and monthly awards I really like as well. Like you said, it gives people motivation to write. And possibly learn from others how to write better. I know that when I first showed up here, my writing was pretty bad. But I read what alot of people did, saw how they wrote and looked at their styles, and built from that. Not only that, but it's a great feeling winning an award like any of the categories you listed (especially the ummm one). At least for me it would be :)

holy cow, the voice of reason.

My name is Rob. how are you?

Lilaena De'Ville
May 11th, 2005, 07:55:15 PM
Please edit your post so you do not set off the swear filter. I realise you are new here - but please remember everyone is required to go by the rules of the board whether you have read them or not.

Dasquian Belargic
May 12th, 2005, 02:22:00 AM
As an extension/alternative to the idea of awards... I think it would be cool to do a thread showcase. Again, this is something TheRebelFaction does, and I think it's pretty cool. Basically, once a month members vote on which threads they have been enjoying. You can nominate as many as you want, and at the end of voting the top 4 or 5 are stickied at the top of the forum, and linked to in a front page update.

Lion El' Jonson
May 12th, 2005, 07:06:50 AM
Something like a database that ties all of our characters to our OOC persons, and includes information such as our RL location and timezone, might be useful; then again, most of this forum's functions can be used to extract information like this, so I doubt the time it'd take to maintain would be worth it.

The Chat Room idea sounded good to me, but I understand the problems that we'd likely have with it. Furthermore, as people have already pointed out, I doubt that many of us have the time to devote a couple of hours to chatroom RPing. It sounds like fun, but I doubt it'd fly.

Obviously, the key element in reviving the forums is getting Fans to grow again. We're going to need more people if we're ever going to reach a level of activity such as that which we had in the old days. Therefore, anything that increases demand to join Fans sounds like a good idea. ^_^;

Tiberius Anar
May 12th, 2005, 10:16:28 AM
I'm all for the idea of having awards. Especially as we could use it to recognise writing talent, which brings me to my own suggestion.

Make it possible for people to comment on threads when they are completed, a kind of review as it were in which people can offer their views and give constructive criticism of threads. I feel that there has been an increase in the storytelling aspect- particularly between the factions- with people actually sitting down and planning a story rather than just creating a situtation and plunging the characters into it. Allowing people to comment on threads, to tell others about threads that they have read and enjoyed would be a great way to foster a writing community.

Anbira Hicchoru
May 12th, 2005, 10:42:50 AM
Originally posted by Tiberius Anar
I'm all for the idea of having awards. Especially as we could use it to recognise writing talent, which brings me to my own suggestion.

Make it possible for people to comment on threads when they are completed, a kind of review as it were in which people can offer their views and give constructive criticism of threads. I feel that there has been an increase in the storytelling aspect- particularly between the factions- with people actually sitting down and planning a story rather than just creating a situtation and plunging the characters into it. Allowing people to comment on threads, to tell others about threads that they have read and enjoyed would be a great way to foster a writing community.

I really like this idea

Lilaena De'Ville
May 12th, 2005, 10:54:01 AM
As an extension/alternative to the idea of awards... I think it would be cool to do a thread showcase. Again, this is something TheRebelFaction does, and I think it's pretty cool. Basically, once a month members vote on which threads they have been enjoying. You can nominate as many as you want, and at the end of voting the top 4 or 5 are stickied at the top of the forum, and linked to in a front page update. I like this idea - especially the link to from the front page. Fits in with what s'Il and I were thinking.

But we also need suggestions for the rest of the board. Not just the RPing community. If you see the "Star Wars" guys around, tell them to stop by here.

imported_Blade Ice
May 12th, 2005, 11:14:53 AM
I personally like the awards Idea's bring some of the lesser know hero's and villians to light. I mean a good example would be my character Blade Ice I'm know more for my contrubutions at Meras then here at fans.

I like all of the ideas floating around here the chat room Idea was a good one but morgan is right it would cause to many problems for the staff.

As for what I would like to see it depends more on the groups then the staff. I would like to see more group oriented threads. I would like to see more darksiders running around turning the Jedi upside down. I would like to see a all out group against group war going on. I would like to things change in the IC aspect. I would like the whole face of the galaxy be twisted around. But like I said that depends on if the groups are willing and I don't see that happening.

I would also like to see more planet take over threads. I think maybe the award system or just a recongintion system would do wonders to change things a bit.

Dasquian Belargic
May 12th, 2005, 11:41:35 AM
I would like the whole face of the galaxy be twisted around.

The Empire are taking over the galaxy, and the Jedi are going to become outlaws. The galaxy is getting twisted around :D

Rognan Dar
May 12th, 2005, 12:09:09 PM
The Empire are taking over the galaxy, and the Jedi are going to become outlaws. The galaxy is getting twisted around :D

Its all just a matter of time. Once that happens, I can see there being a bit more activity, since there will be so much new things to do then.

imported_Blade Ice
May 12th, 2005, 12:36:55 PM
Yeah for the Jedi (the biggest force using group) and the empire(the biggest non force using group) and the bounty hunters (the biggest non group oriented faction). But what about everyone else like those who can't play Jedi well at all or aren't very interested in playing imperials (me included)?

I'm not saying it won't be fun just asking what it has to offer for others. :)

Dasquian Belargic
May 12th, 2005, 12:50:05 PM
All Force users are going to be affected. The Imperials don't like Sith or Dark Jedi either :p

imported_Blade Ice
May 12th, 2005, 01:10:30 PM
Oh okay thats what i orginally heard but the way you and rogan where talking it only involved Jedi.

Wich means it wouldn't affect me in anyway what so ever since right now I only play two failing characters a sith and a bounty hunter.

Now if it affects all force users then I can have some fun with it too. :)

Rognan Dar
May 12th, 2005, 06:37:01 PM
Well, what I was trying to say was, with the galaxy being flipped upside down, that there are going to be a lot of different story and Rping and just everything when the scene has changed and everything is in a kind of was/domination. Everyone should be able to get some kind of action out of the event.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 13th, 2005, 04:11:33 PM
Anyone else have any ideas?

I think we should try to put an emphasis on the other parts of the board - the collectors and the movie buffs are just as important a part of these forums as the RPers. So we should be trying to draw in more posters for those parts of the board as well.

s'Il and I are/were working on getting some ad space on some webcomics, to advertise Sw-fans. We would need $$ to spend on the ads, and so the thought was brought up that we could set up a paypal account for advertising $$ for the posters to donate into.

Tear
May 13th, 2005, 04:13:57 PM
Yep ill make sure all you renegade force users out there are hounded and hunted at every turn.

I think the change in scenary will be good for rejuvinating the boards a bit. Plus when the new movie comes out im sure there is gonna be a wave of noobs to moderate and teach.

Shawn
May 14th, 2005, 09:17:03 AM
I'll try to expand on this more later. But I think that we seriously need a large overhaul, not just tacking on one or two extra features.

Adding a chat room will do little, if anything, to increase activity and will likely be forgotten a few weeks after its inception. We need to have something at draw new people in and keep them coming back.

Anbira Hicchoru
May 14th, 2005, 03:18:56 PM
I think we should consider having RP storyline arcs that are a year in length.

That is to say, that at the end of every year, we reset. There's a start, and a definite conclusion.

Each of us can RP up to five characters per year arc, and if you want, you can repeat characters in the next story arc.

That way, we have a very high probability of keeping things fresh, and we can also do things we perhaps wouldn't otherwise do, such as have our characters die during a story arc, and such.

Jacen
May 14th, 2005, 03:28:35 PM
This is definitely something that I think a lot of people would enjoy. I for one am for the story arcs.

Shawn
May 14th, 2005, 05:55:26 PM
Originally posted by Anbira Hicchoru
I think we should consider having RP storyline arcs that are a year in length.

That is to say, that at the end of every year, we reset. There's a start, and a definite conclusion.

Each of us can RP up to five characters per year arc, and if you want, you can repeat characters in the next story arc.

That way, we have a very high probability of keeping things fresh, and we can also do things we perhaps wouldn't otherwise do, such as have our characters die during a story arc, and such. I would seriously have a renewed interest in RPing if this were to happen. It could seriously alter the RP dynamics.

Anbira Hicchoru
May 14th, 2005, 06:18:14 PM
I've always wanted the freedom to "off" some of my characters, but its always been an issue of outside pressure keeping me tied in. Sometimes, it just services the story better.

The best parallel I can think of are Japanese TV shows, which are essentially an entire story in one season only. That isn't necessarily the end. Perhaps there are parallels that run here and there. Look at how many shows in the 80's and 90's that feature a particular Hattori Hanzo fellow ;)

Plus, I think with a definite start and stop phase, we can cut to the chase with a lot of our stories, and really make things work. People really get their juices flowing when they're working a deadline.

Gav Mortis
May 14th, 2005, 06:30:10 PM
Originally posted by Shawn
I would seriously have a renewed interest in RPing if this were to happen. It could seriously alter the RP dynamics.

Quoted for emphasis. I think the yearly story arc reset is one of the best ideas for roleplaying yet.

Morgan Evanar
May 14th, 2005, 07:44:48 PM
Mmmmmmm YES.

Originally posted by Shawn
I would seriously have a renewed interest in RPing if this were to happen. It could seriously alter the RP dynamics. This would be really helpful for new people, too. There would be a clean slate to start with, and they wouldn't have so much backstory to worry about.

Rognan Dar
May 14th, 2005, 10:53:40 PM
Wait, I might be the only one, but I'm not following what Anbira said. Are you saying that we have to start the character completely ovr every year? Or just that they have to make a story about themselves? Or am I completely off?

Anbira Hicchoru
May 14th, 2005, 11:03:12 PM
It is an option to do so, or you can essentially make the character so that he's roughly the same guy for every session we do.

Consider each yearly session to be a complete, stand-alone movie that doesn't tie into anything else.

Rognan Dar
May 14th, 2005, 11:21:53 PM
So its a do what you want thing? So if you die in these stories it doesn't count outside? Ok, that sounds cool. I'd dig doing something like that.

The Cartographer
May 14th, 2005, 11:44:08 PM
No, its RP-wide. If you die, then your character is dead for the remainder of that year.

Rognan Dar
May 14th, 2005, 11:56:56 PM
Right, but in the end, if you still wanted to do other things with him later, that you could in the next year and so forth.....right?

Lion El' Jonson
May 15th, 2005, 03:02:00 AM
Story arcs sound like a spectacular idea. I can only hope that this place's legendary lethargy doesn't get in the way. ^_^;

Dasquian Belargic
May 15th, 2005, 03:35:06 AM
Very interesting idea :) We could start each year with a brand new theme, or threat to the galaxy. Would be cool.

Dae Jinn
May 15th, 2005, 08:30:40 AM
I just have two things to ask about this idea.

1 - Would we have to rp every little detail, a la the Empire Take-over? That would waste a lot of time IMO, when we could just have one thread that's like a story that sets everything up. (Yeah, common sense, but mneh)

2 - Who would decide what each years' storyline would be? Maybe a few people with ideas could post them and we have a vote? I don't want people to complain about the older rpers having all of their ideas played out without having others input (mostly because I don't want to listen to them whine :|)

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 15th, 2005, 09:04:19 AM
As for the first question Dae raised, what if we had something of a scrawl opening as a heading on the Roleplaying pages? Like the opening scrawls in the SW movies that set the stage as it were? They could describe (in the prerequisite three short paragraphs) what is happening in general, which in turn can let us fill in the details for that year?

The voting for the setting I like. Maybe a month before the reset, a thread could be started calling for the next year's setting ideas which would be active for three or so weeks. The last week another thread can be started which lists the ideas and people can vote for the ones they like.

Tiberius Anar
May 15th, 2005, 09:17:24 AM
My thoughts are somewhat difficult to articulate so bear with me.

I am rather aprehensive about this rest idea. Exciting though it is, I cannot help feeling it would be detrimental. The gradual, measured development of a character is part of the fun of this Fans for me. On top of which it would squash the creative freedom allowed by the present system- at present we can do what we like when we like (within reason) having the whole rp galaxy governed by a mega-story arc would mean we couldn't.

Now if it were a separate RP forum governed by an arc and time limit it would be an entirely different matter. Then we could have the existing galaxy trundling along as is and a parrallel arced galaxy in which we can do the exciting movie type stuff.

Rhea Kaylen
May 15th, 2005, 11:42:07 AM
I am rather aprehensive about this rest idea. Exciting though it is, I cannot help feeling it would be detrimental...

Now if it were a separate RP forum governed by an arc and time limit it would be an entirely different matter. Then we could have the existing galaxy trundling along as is and a parrallel arced galaxy in which we can do the exciting movie type stuff.

Personaly, I'm going to have to ditto this. I kind of like the idea of an all-governing year-long story arc, not least because it would force us proscrastinators to keep moving along, because we have a definite time limit. This would also likely get all the writers to associate more w/ each other, whereas now it's a bit difficult, since not everyone's timelines are synchronized, among other obstacles.

However, I'm a little afraid this movie format could be too limiting. So, while a separate forum following the year-arc would definitely be fun, and a good idea, I don't know if totally aborting the current setup would be the best choice. All my opinion, of course, but I can definitely say that if the entire RP section of this site were to change over to a single story arc, it's unlikely I'd do much here anymore.

But then, that would probably not be true of anyone--or, at least, certainly not everyone--else, so of course the majority will rule on this one. :)

Dasquian Belargic
May 15th, 2005, 11:44:57 AM
I don't think the premise of the idea is that we'd all have to be following one story, but rather that we'd all be in a single universe. You aren't going to have any set role to play. The theme would simply set the beginning scenario for the year. For example, one theme could be "the empire have risen to power, the rebellion has reformed"... and then you go on from there, however you like. At least the way I understand it is that these scenarios will be very broad, with a starting point but with no end goal, no definite conclusion that we have to reach. More than anything they'd be there to put a little variety into the board, which has existed on the same backstory for 5/6 years now.

Rhea Kaylen
May 15th, 2005, 11:56:29 AM
Okay, that makes a bit more sense, then. Thanks!

Lilaena De'Ville
May 15th, 2005, 12:06:10 PM
I think the time frame should be a bit longer than a year. Call me sily, but some single Rps take longer than a year to RP. Charley, Navaria and I are Rping a thread right now that had been in the works for two years, and we've been Rping it for over a year now. So we reset, and everyone gets to do... two to three RPs, and then we're resetting again?

Force users would spend their whole reset time just trying to gain ranks back, etc. If we reset, it should be for longer than a year. Year and a half to two years.

That being said - I love the idea. Let's do a "living under Vong slavery" universe. ;) Or a 'what if anakin never turned to the darkside' story. :D

Anbira Hicchoru
May 15th, 2005, 01:29:21 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
I think the time frame should be a bit longer than a year. Call me sily, but some single Rps take longer than a year to RP. Charley, Navaria and I are Rping a thread right now that had been in the works for two years, and we've been Rping it for over a year now. So we reset, and everyone gets to do... two to three RPs, and then we're resetting again?

Force users would spend their whole reset time just trying to gain ranks back, etc. If we reset, it should be for longer than a year. Year and a half to two years.

That being said - I love the idea. Let's do a "living under Vong slavery" universe. ;) Or a 'what if anakin never turned to the darkside' story. :D

Putting a deadline in effect will light a fire under our collective butts, which I think would settle this issue. We either expedite the task, or we don't do it. Call it strategic planning for roleplaying if you will.

With a start and finish time, we can cut through all the niceties and BS, and get to the heart of the matter, which is exactly the way we should be roleplaying in the first place.

A year is the longest period of time that I would recommend. Anything longer really has no point at all.

Rognan Dar
May 15th, 2005, 03:19:22 PM
Let's do a "living under Vong slavery" universe. Or a 'what if anakin never turned to the darkside' story.

Would that mean we could add in real characters like Luke and Wedge and Lando? And just play around with them in that story? Could we also bring in Zonoma Sekot? :p

Morgan Evanar
May 15th, 2005, 03:42:44 PM
Originally posted by Rognan Dar
Would that mean we could add in real characters like Luke and Wedge and Lando? And just play around with them in that story? Could we also bring in Zonoma Sekot? :p We'd have to dance too close to copyrights to really do that :)

Dae Jinn
May 15th, 2005, 10:28:59 PM
I like the idea, only because Dae has become stale, and this is great way to totally change her.

I'm assuming though, that I can keep my other characters relatively the same, and play them as they are, but in a different setting. None of them really have anything set in stone aside from Trrics' being a Sith in TSO.

The way Charley explained it to me was that your character can be repeated over and over, only the setting will change, right? So ranks and stuff like that would stay the same unless you change the character (assuming again).

Another thing about voting, and the whole "let's change the whole board" idea - what about people who won't want to do this? Are we going to end up alienating a bunch of rpers with this idea? :\

Wei Wu Wei
May 15th, 2005, 10:40:04 PM
Well, as long as people who gain ranks (Jedi, Sith, and otherwise) can keep what they've earned after the story arc is over, then I would not mind. Otherwise, I would have to say no.

Anbira Hicchoru
May 15th, 2005, 10:45:14 PM
Originally posted by Dae Jinn
Another thing about voting, and the whole "let's change the whole board" idea - what about people who won't want to do this? Are we going to end up alienating a bunch of rpers with this idea? :\

I'd say plenty of people are already alienated at this point with the stagnation of the current setup. Either way, we're going to break eggs for an omelette, I think.

Anbira Hicchoru
May 15th, 2005, 10:55:28 PM
Originally posted by Wei Wu Wei
Well, as long as people who gain ranks (Jedi, Sith, and otherwise) can keep what they've earned after the story arc is over, then I would not mind. Otherwise, I would have to say no.

Keeping what you got is fine, and I expect a lot of people will want to do this. No problem.

Master Yoghurt
May 16th, 2005, 09:05:06 AM
Some nice suggestions in this thread :)

I suggest, if you are going to do a "featured roleplay" or a "featured RP character" for the month/week, you should also have a featured thread and poster overall for the rest of the boards. That way its equal for both the RP and non RP section of the forums. Being a featured poster is a nice carrot for the regulars to start up new topics with high quality content. You could have the "featured topic" on the portal page for instance. I always believed that the best way to get a forum active is through a constant flow of new threads, which is in itself a catalyst for more post activity overall.

Also, its been said before, but we need more members. One way to do this is through afiliation banners, advertising etc, but an even better way is through a recruitment program. You could have some sort of award or recognition if you manage to recruit a certain amount of members to the board. For example if you recruit 5 forum members, you could get say 3 or 6 months of supporter account for free (just an example). There are many other ways to do it as well.

Recruiting is good, because you can select people you allready know (friends and family), and have a better chance to get quality posters on the boards. Personally, I wont probably be able to recruit that many, but I know there are members who do have that opportunity.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 16th, 2005, 09:49:55 AM
^^ I love the recruitment idea, and the featured poster/content idea for the rest of the board.

We have also been thinking about starting a regular movie review feature, which could draw in some other recognition, if we do enough movies well enough. :)

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 17th, 2005, 07:17:19 AM
I'm gonna recap the ideas we have so far.

1) Prearranged chatrooms using Trillian/Yahoo/etc

2) Yearly and monthly awards for Roleplays

3) Thread showcasing

4) Thread commenting

5) Adverts

6) RPer awards in several different categories

7) Yearly reset / 'tv show season' type structure
a. Opening scrawl for the RP forums to describe the year's basic goings-on
b. Voting by all members on said yearly goings-on.

8) Featured thread (boardwide)

9) Featured poster (boardwide)

10) Recruit for benefits and prizes

So far so good, everyone :) Keep 'em coming.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 17th, 2005, 01:06:03 PM
We could do a universe where the rebellion failed at the second death star, and all the 'heroes' of the movies were killed (to explain why they aren't around). :)

Anbira Hicchoru
May 17th, 2005, 02:04:02 PM
Oh my God, yes.

Morgan Evanar
May 17th, 2005, 03:21:47 PM
If you weren't married I'd be on the next plane to Oregon.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 17th, 2005, 04:31:02 PM
:o er thanks. :)

edit: We're all paid up on group forum space, but if we reset the galaxy every year... what does this mean for groups? If we're paid up, our old group threads go into an archive forum at the bottom of our boards? We get to invent new groups every year, with said archive forum filled with past reincarnations of the group?

We get nothing, and our boards are erased? ^_^; I would not be in favor of this last option, or any option that includes erasing threads.

And did we decide on rank holding over, etc? I believe it was discussed that we could keep rank at the reset if we wanted to... or not. Obviously, if we went to a universe right after the non-destruction of the second death star we'd have no trained Jedi anywhere.

Morgan Evanar
May 17th, 2005, 05:12:02 PM
We can keep ranks, I assume. There is no reason there couldn't be a few Jedi who decided to stop being Jedi and hide. Remember, we're already giving the universe a good thwack.

I think that perhaps the Rebellion's attack on the Death Star didn't succeed, but Luke's results were about the same, only he doesn't have a very solid opportunity to escape and does not.

The Empire has an incomplete Death Star 2. The Rebellion's and the Empire's core fleets have been bled heavily, and it's a phyric victory for the Rebles who have lost much of their fleet and heros. They jump and cut their losses.

The Empire has lost much of it's best and brightest with the Executor destroyed. The remainder is on the DS2.

The rest of the Imperial fleet was perhaps damaged more than the Rebellion's. With the death of the Emperor and his lack of battle meditation, movements were sloppy and a hardened Rebellion did as much damage as it could.

Several Imperial and Victory class destroyers have been scuttled and are considered irreperable and are salvage at best. Endor's orbit is filled with debris clouds not seen since the Clone Wars.

With the exception of the Trilogy's core heros, most of the Rebellion's leadership is alive, and is back to savaging the Empire's supply lines.

The Empire still has quite an edge with an operable but incomplete battle-station.

Lion El' Jonson
May 17th, 2005, 05:39:04 PM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
A bunch of good ideas.

Sounds like the Rebellion and the Imperials would have quite the opportunity to have some slugging matches.

We'd have to do something about the canon idea that the Empire has 25,000+ Imperators, but I have a feeling that could be remedied easily. From a fleeting standpoint, I'm very happy. ^_^;

Anbira Hicchoru
May 17th, 2005, 07:23:09 PM
Aside from the painfully obvious "Jedi who didn't die during the purge" method of explaining EU Jedi, we could pull a Mormon angle with this whole thing, and get rid of the assumption that the ghosts of Qui Gon, Yoda and Obi Wan only attempted to train Luke Skywalker.

So in effect, we could have an entire central corps of seasoned Jedi who trace their lineages back to the spirits of the fallen canon characters.

The Sith angle is even easier, as all of the rejects and flunkies that the Emperor and Vader held down as adepts and "hands" can vie for the vast reservoir of their ancient teachings, essentially creating dozens of Bane-style "master & apprentice" duos

Morgan Evanar
May 17th, 2005, 07:34:11 PM
Originally posted by Anbira Hicchoru
Aside from the painfully obvious "Jedi who didn't die during the purge" method of explaining EU Jedi, we could pull a Mormon angle with this whole thing, and get rid of the assumption that the ghosts of Qui Gon, Yoda and Obi Wan only attempted to train Luke Skywalker.

So in effect, we could have an entire central corps of seasoned Jedi who trace their lineages back to the spirits of the fallen canon characters.

The Sith angle is even easier, as all of the rejects and flunkies that the Emperor and Vader held down as adepts and "hands" can vie for the vast reservoir of their ancient teachings, essentially creating dozens of Bane-style "master & apprentice" duos This is awesome. I wouldn't put all of my eggs in one basket, either :)

Lilaena De'Ville
May 17th, 2005, 07:58:35 PM
The group forum question was still not addressed, however.:) I love the ideas.

Morgan Evanar
May 17th, 2005, 09:52:35 PM
To a degree, some forums will be the same, I think. GJO will probably be archived and reborn. Logically the Jedi will stick together.

For the other groups I figure it's pretty much up to them. Hopefully we can not worry about it much and have things be an organic experince.

Dae Jinn
May 17th, 2005, 10:18:15 PM
As long as it's throughly explained before hand, I'm in. ^_^;

I don't see why the forums would have to change much - I would think Sith/Dark Jedis/GJO would want to have forums for their own rps, instead of sticking everything in the RP or ST forums :/

Lilaena De'Ville
May 17th, 2005, 11:27:35 PM
Well I'm just saying, 'cause TSO has paid up for their space and so has the KA and the Sisters. I would not appreciate the KA being deleted because of a reset.

Tiberius Anar
May 18th, 2005, 04:11:00 AM
I think this might be the time for me to point out that we are already re-unifying the Empire and restarting the Rebellion in order to revitalise the boards. Surely we ought to keep to this plan, rather than go off on a new one- however exciting it may be.

Master Yoghurt
May 18th, 2005, 04:44:52 AM
Remember, we are just brainstorming here, nothing set in stone. Ok, here is my alternative idea, before everyone runs around in panic, yelling "aaaaaahhhh!" :p

1. Create a NEW roleplaying forum, with a parallel universe which will independently coexist with the current roleplaying forum. This galaxy will have a different time line and the setting which Deville/Morgan/Anbira suggested, where the Empire is in control and fighting rebels. You can create new characters if you like, which will suit with that timeline realistically.

2. Keep the old roleplay forum. Maybe merge it with Story Telling as they are more or less the same and it cleans up the main index (posters just need to remember to mark threads with "open" if its open or "closed" if its invitational only). Then give it an appropriate name for the current galaxy. This forum stays with the current story lines. Everyone who wants to play in that setting with their characters, will still be able to continue do that as before. If you want to do a yearly reset in this galaxy, that is cool too.

This way, you dont have to turn the group forum layout upside down or archive away all the current roleplays. And you wont have to put every roleplay plan in the garbage bin either. You just add forums for the alternative galaxy on a "need to have" basis.

Anyway, thats one way to do it. There might be others as well :)

Anbira Hicchoru
May 18th, 2005, 05:34:06 AM
I don't think dividing our energies among RP universes is a good idea, simply because we're already barely populating one as it is.

Master Yoghurt
May 18th, 2005, 06:19:16 AM
Thats a good point, and I am aware of that. I am just offering a second option in case players dont want to abandon the current setup. Some players put a heck of a lot of work and planning into their stories and characters. That way, you could chose.

Morgan Evanar
May 18th, 2005, 07:36:17 AM
I think most of us here recognize what we have is horribly stale. I'm sure we're going to archive what's there already.

Besides, two universes would only serve to confuse new people.

Nathanial K'cansce
May 18th, 2005, 09:11:16 AM
Not sure if it's been suggested already or not, or if this is the plan, but if we do the whole reset thing, why not start until after the Empire take over thing happens? From what I know, a lot of it has already been planned out, and some RPs for it have already been put into motion. At the end, people can choose to have their characters die, take a side, or go into hiding, depending on what playing field they are on. And with that, it gives a good opening for the start of a new story, the rise of a 'rebellion' to overthrow the new Empire (or whatever is thought up). And once that is done, do another reset, and go from there.

Morgan Evanar
May 18th, 2005, 11:10:59 AM
The Empire thing has really failed to move.

Leten Snat
May 18th, 2005, 01:27:04 PM
Then why don't people get it moving again?

Tiberius Anar
May 18th, 2005, 01:34:44 PM
The Empire thing is moving, trust me. Lets not throw it away because of impatience.

Morgan Evanar
May 18th, 2005, 01:58:27 PM
Ok :)

Tear
May 18th, 2005, 04:00:52 PM
The Empire thing is moving, trust me. Lets not throw it away because of impatience.

Snails pace. Patience killed the Sovereignty. We really should get things moving faster and cut through all the red tape bs. However fun it is for the politician rp'ers the rest of us are just sitting, watching and eventually leaving.

Maybe set a date for this weekend to start the big events? People will have just watched Rots and want to Rp. I think the biggest problem right now is having all the key players show up and do their part.

Master Yoghurt
May 18th, 2005, 04:20:57 PM
Tear's post about setting a date for a big event reminds me of something that used to be quite different in the old days. How often do we do roleplay in real time? I mean, how often do people schedule a time were they log in at the forums simultanously, and post at an intense level in a thread, no matter what the end result may be. I remember once upon a time, roleplayers would log on AIM and work out these things on the fly, and they would have huge roleplays that developed on the hour. Just 2-3 people working together would often be enough.

Or maybe Im just out of the loop.. :p

Dae Jinn
May 18th, 2005, 04:58:07 PM
People have lives now, Yog. :p

Can't we just cut to the chase with the Empire take-over, and if people chose to rp out stuff, they can on their own time? It's taking forever, like Tear said, and that's one reason why things are getting stale IMO.

Master Yoghurt
May 18th, 2005, 05:12:16 PM
Originally posted by Dae Jinn
People have lives now, Yog. :p

So its not a myth. People actually have those? o_O

Tiberius Anar
May 19th, 2005, 02:00:40 AM
Well I was under the impression that Viscera was going to get the Imperial Leaders together say "I'm back and in charge here's what we do" make an example of one or two of the warlords to cow the rest into obedience. Then we were going to go to Bestine and blast the Rebel fleet there and take out the task force heading for Correlia. If I'm right that means we are waiting on Visc and I believe LD. (Visc to get the Warlords in line and LD as Senator Thareena to push through the Corellian thing).

Liam Jinn
May 19th, 2005, 04:29:48 AM
If there is a yearly switch-over, I'd rather see that in storytelling than on the main RP forum. Keep RP like it has been, sure it's slow but this new movie will probably get the juices flowing again.

You people want to have spin-offs and whatnot every year, then instead of only part of the board being happy with what the 'situation' is for the year, make a thread in storytelling. Say it's 'open'. See where it goes from there rather than trying to drastically change the face of the board.

Morgan Evanar
May 19th, 2005, 09:24:37 AM
Originally posted by Liam Jinn
If there is a yearly switch-over, I'd rather see that in storytelling than on the main RP forum. Keep RP like it has been, sure it's slow but this new movie will probably get the juices flowing again.

You people want to have spin-offs and whatnot every year, then instead of only part of the board being happy with what the 'situation' is for the year, make a thread in storytelling. Say it's 'open'. See where it goes from there rather than trying to drastically change the face of the board. No, we're not splitting the already sparsely populated universe. Please read through the whole thread :(

Liam Jinn
May 19th, 2005, 12:41:16 PM
No, we're not splitting the already sparsely populated universe. Please read through the whole thread :(

:|

I've been reading the thread since it was up. I guess what I should have said is, I think this movie will pump up activity AND bring more people to the board.

Dasquian Belargic
May 19th, 2005, 01:22:49 PM
While I do think that the release of Ep3 will have some affect on board activity (this much can be seen already), I don't think it's enough to get the whole community into gear - and even then, it can only be a matter of time before this initial novelty wears off and we go back to the stale state we're currently in.

The way I see it, we either change everything or change nothing and watch activity slowly, but surely, dwindle.

Shawn
May 19th, 2005, 04:14:40 PM
I am strongly in favor of the 1 year = 1 season idea. To rehash in case anyone in unclear:

Each year will constitute a single story arc, similar to a TV show. At the end of the year, the story is reset and we start over fresh. This would allow for permanent changes, such as character deaths or other major events, to take place.

I think NOW is the time to implement this, when we're more likely to see new members. Unless there is a strong reason not to, I forsee this being implemented within 1-2 weeks. So if you have something to say, now is the time to say.

Neyasha
May 19th, 2005, 05:02:01 PM
But what will happen when the year/season is up and there are a number of threads not completed? What happens then? And if things can be moved from season to season, how will it be any diffrent than what we are doing now other than we will have a mass killing of characters at the end of the season?

Shawn
May 19th, 2005, 07:12:31 PM
Threads can be finished or left uncompleted, just as they are now. And I really don't think we'll be seeing too many people saving up their characters to kill them off at the end of the year. I think, instead, it will promote stronger storytelling, since there will be no fear of shaking up the status quo.

Rognan Dar
May 19th, 2005, 09:02:41 PM
So we lose all our characters at the end of the year? Since its being restarted, everything with that character is vurtially gone, correct?

And if that is so, and when we start a new session with new characters, weither they have the same name as our characters now, how would you, per-say, decide on ranks and status of all the new people?

Morgan Evanar
May 19th, 2005, 09:21:51 PM
If you have a Knight level character now, you can have a Knight level character next campaign. If you earn knight during a campaign, awesome. You can earn Master, too. It's up to you if you want to use the rank you earned during the campaigns. :)

Dae Jinn
May 19th, 2005, 09:35:49 PM
And people have said that you can keep the same characters through-out the different campaigns (At least, that's what I got out of it).

Lilaena De'Ville
May 20th, 2005, 12:10:30 AM
For example - in one incarnation, Arya Ravenwing might actually be a Jedi, because she has the untrained ability to be one. In another, she might be a leader on the planet her mother was exiled from, as Arya was next in line for the throne. Or she could be a smuggler. Or an evil Sith. Or an Imperial gunner on the Death Star.

Your characters remain the same ( as much as you want them to be ) but the situation around them changes.

What we have is stale. My motivation to RP is basically dead - I love RPing and I like to RP with everyone here, but I'm sick and tired of it taking three years to get ONE DAMN RP done. We planned out the re-doing of the Empire, and it has stalled due to RPer inactivity. We were hoping to have it DONE by March! It's fricking end of MAY people.

Something needs to be done. If not the yearly reset, then what? The option "Keep things the way they are" is not a valid suggestion. Something must change or Sw-Fans is going to die in the next 18 months.

imported_Blade Ice
May 20th, 2005, 03:06:04 AM
So Basically what i get out of this is that it severally rescricts the community by forcing us to post and get are work done. As I see it if the change does go into affect I won't be sticking around simply because I won't have the time to get anything done. I mean this would restrict those of use who already have a restricted posting Schedule to be done with everything in a year.

In this situation I would never get anything done due to those I post with who have different schedule then me and are rarely on at the sametime any more. IMO it would hurt the board more then save it. I mean I can see how people would fall behind more with this new Idea. I see less interesting characters running around do to lack of who cares what my backround is anyway I'll kill him off at the end of the season. I see you losing just as many rpers as you hope to gain it will change nothing.

Cat Terrist
May 20th, 2005, 03:18:49 AM
As long as the problems with lack of new psoters areis attened to as a priority as well, this different setting thing every year is a great idea.

imported_Blade Ice
May 20th, 2005, 03:28:21 AM
So all we care about is new posters and not the ones we already have?

Tear
May 20th, 2005, 03:34:47 AM
Im still kinda confused on how the new system will work.

Its basically an idea is put forward say...the rebellion failed at Endor and theres still a deathstar. Same as the idea stated previously.

How does this change the pace from the current system? Can i suddenly make Tear into a rebel? Does he retain his history?

Will the Vets still control most of the events that occur on these boards? I.E Tear cant be rebellion General because im still a newb.

How will the empires work? Will lady vader still be the leader of the Sith? Will whatshisface still be the leader of the Sovereignty?(sorry its 2:30 i forgot your name)

If so how do we keep the board flowing and not stalling main story lines because key people are away?

If i kill off my character can i bring him back at the beginning of the next campaign?

Sorry for the onslaught of questions im just curious on how this works.

Morgan Evanar
May 20th, 2005, 08:14:41 AM
Tear, you've been around since 03, I see no reason you couldn't be a General/Admiral/Yo Mamma in the Rebellion.

The changeover is a completely new set of pants. Anything pertaining and relating to the old pants is irellevant. The old pants are so stained and full of holes that no one in their right mind would want to wear those pants. The old pants have a storied history and some people might miss them, but they're frankly embarrasing.

How will the empires work? Will lady vader still be the leader of the Sith? Will whatshisface still be the leader of the Sovereignty?(sorry its 2:30 i forgot your name)Probably not. Hopefully each character will find their place in whatever faction is available for the storyline.

If so how do we keep the board flowing and not stalling main story lines because key people are away?Hopefully this will be less of an issue. If you have any ideas for it please, lay them down. Now is the time.

If i kill off my character can i bring him back at the beginning of the next campaign?Yes! That is part of the whole idea.

Dae Jinn
May 20th, 2005, 09:23:31 AM
Morg or someone, just make a post with the jist of this idea so you don't have to rehash the same thing over and over.

I knew there would be people who'd not want to do this, just because "oh no! my character will have to change!". No, they don't have to change.

IE. Dae Jinn of this SWFans is an ex-sith who is now a Jedi. She basically does nothing all day long but sit around GJO.

The board changes, the Rebellion is still going, there aren't hundreds of Jedi, and Dae gets put into the mix. I think about her basic characteristics and I go from there. You basically have the freedom to do whatever you want within the "campaign" - exactly what we have now. People creating new characters will probably be trying to create someone who they WANT to rp as, not some throw away character, so I have to disagree with you, Bladey.

What we have is stale. My motivation to RP is basically dead - I love RPing and I like to RP with everyone here, but I'm sick and tired of it taking three years to get ONE DAMN RP done. We planned out the re-doing of the Empire, and it has stalled due to RPer inactivity. We were hoping to have it DONE by March! It's fricking end of MAY people.

^ Quoted for truth. People don't post because it's the same old boring drivel day in and out. Characters can only do so much before they become cliched and tired. Storylines take too long to finish, and no-one wants to leave things unfinished even if it takes 100 years to complete one thread.

If someone is away for an extended period, deal with it. "RL > RP" has always been the mantra for this board - people come back because of it, and because of the talent and friends we all have here. Writing is supposed to be a fun and creative way of expressing yourself and creating something bigger than yourself, IMO, and Fans is seriously lacking that lately.

ALSO, for all of you people who think you are newbs and can't participate in the whole idea process - if you have an idea, SAY IT! It's your board too, and if you have an opinion, tell the staff. If you have an idea for the year-long stories, tell us! I already put forward the idea of a vote for the new "universe/story-arc" - if you don't vote and you don't participate, then I for one don't want to hear you complain about it.

Nicky Huu
May 20th, 2005, 10:59:49 AM
Blade here.

Whatever I see it getting passed anyway so really doesn't matter how much a dislike this idea. All I'm saying is I don't like this Idea for several reason I do see allot of people creating through away characters or just pointless characters because real what will it matter next year th story will change. I see people like me who have a limited time to be here getting lost and just giving up on it all together. I see people not getting threads finished in a years time and then watching what they worked on just get thrown away because its the start of a new year and diffrent story.

I plan and simply don't like it and if comes to pass I don't see myself sticking around simple because I'll never acomplish anything with time restrants. Plus all I have accomplished up to know won't mean anything. No one has to agree with me I really don't care but I see this helping the board but do what you want.

Sorsha Kasajian
May 20th, 2005, 11:40:02 AM
I'm still trying to wrap my poor brain around it. This is gonna happen when? And what's becoming of current storylines? Do they get to finish these year or is there going to be a complete reset? I still don't quite get it.

Tear
May 20th, 2005, 03:04:27 PM
From what i understand Blade you can still keep what you have earned. I understand where you are coming from. I've built Tear up for a few years to try and play with the big wigs but now theres going to be a reset.

But its a good thing too. You can still carry your character over. You dont lose anything. Hell, from what i understand he could still be the same person in the next campaign his surroundings will just be different. It'll just be like if we went through with the empire taking over. Same guy different place.

This just gives everyone a bit more freedom to do what they want to do. Like Dae said her character just sits around the GJO gathering dust. (although i dont know why she doesnt just make her character go do somethingo_O ) If she wanted in the next campaign she could create something different and exciting.

Just give it a try Blade before you decide you dont like the way it tastes.

Morgan Evanar
May 20th, 2005, 03:19:52 PM
Thanks Tear.

You don't have to throw your character out. You can adapt them to the new scenario in terms of background and relationships. You can most certainly maintain your rank. It was a bad time to be a Force user while Vader and Palpy were running things, but they're going to be dead, and so is the last known Jedi.

AmazonBabe
May 20th, 2005, 03:34:02 PM
And what if certain characters do not want to participate in this restart?

Morgan Evanar
May 20th, 2005, 03:38:24 PM
Then they don't?

AmazonBabe
May 20th, 2005, 03:39:39 PM
Ok.

Also, would this resetting story-arc do-dad thing be something that would be in the stroytelling forum or would it be for the RP forum?

EDIT: Another question... what of RPers that suddenly come back from a long respite, for instance Live Wire. What then? Especially if the board is in the middle of a new story arc alternate reality thing.

Morgan Evanar
May 20th, 2005, 03:50:10 PM
Its for everything.

They can find a way to work a character in?

AmazonBabe
May 20th, 2005, 03:55:50 PM
Ok.

So then, those that don't want to participate are essentially left in the cold and ignored?

I guess I'm just trying to figure how this is going to work...

Tear
May 20th, 2005, 05:44:40 PM
Why wouldnt they wish to participate?

Lady Vader
May 20th, 2005, 06:13:10 PM
Perhaps they wouldn't like the idea of having to start anew each year? Perhaps they don't want to have their character play anything than what it already is? Perhaps they wouldn't want to alter the group they are in?

Etc etc.

They can find a way to work a character in?

That's great for people that have a butt-load of characters, or at the most, more than one. But what of those that only have one?

I guess what I'm getting at is this idea has the potential to shut some poeple out that don't want to participate. Because if these story-arcs affect the whole board, then it's exclusive to only those that want to participate. What of those that just want to continue RPing as things are, not wanting to drastically change their characters or groups or whatever?

I'm trying to see how this can be fair to everyone.

Dae Jinn
May 20th, 2005, 06:17:21 PM
Because some people do not like change, Tear. I think that's one of the problems with the board; it's gotten all complacent.

Originally posted by Tear
Like Dae said her character just sits around the GJO gathering dust. (although i dont know why she doesnt just make her character go do somethingo_O )

I've basically played out all of my options for Dae. I can't honestly think of anything I want to do with her, and I haven't rped as her for months because of that - if we switch over now, she's end up living "happily ever after".

Gav Mortis
May 20th, 2005, 07:00:55 PM
Originally posted by AmazonBabe
EDIT: Another question... what of RPers that suddenly come back from a long respite, for instance Live Wire. What then? Especially if the board is in the middle of a new story arc alternate reality thing.

To be honest, given the example you have presented us with, if Live Wire were to make a return to roleplaying; I believe a fresh, young, and engaging new boardwide story-arc would be more approachable than the convoluted nonsense we have currently. Everything is stale, old, and used backstory upon which everything sits; roleplayers resting on their laurels as it were; and thus roleplaying itself has become stale and unapproachable.

For people, old and new, this would breath so much new life back into our roleplaying world. To deny it from happening is sentancing to death what we love. Imagine it, a new start, in which everything is fresh. I love it.

Speaking of which, if this annual story-arc reset is to go ahead, how is the actual plotline going to be decided? Are there any talks concerning this at the moment?

Morgan Evanar
May 20th, 2005, 07:11:43 PM
We'll start a thread and throw ideas around. The creme will rise to the top. Right now we already have a good idea and some details to work with, but if you'd like, go ahead and start another thread for it, Gav. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
May 20th, 2005, 08:39:35 PM
I can't remember if we've mentioned it already or not, but we were also hoping to rearrange a few of the forums upstairs in the Star Wars section. Eliminate OOC in favor of a General Discussion forum for both parties, install an RP planning forum and an IC Propaganda forum for the RPers. The "Others" would have the Star Wars forums squished into one, with the Gaming and Misc. and Box Office/Movie forums standing alone as they are.

I think.

CMJ
May 20th, 2005, 08:57:42 PM
That's right leave us BO/Films people alone. ;) We were first afterall. :)

I've begun dabbling in movie reviews for a website. Gotten a few published, so if you want to start the critics corner thing you mentioned...like...4 pages ago, I'll give it a go.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 20th, 2005, 10:41:30 PM
Sounds great. As far as the box office forum, I think it will be used JUST for actual movie/TV talk and box office, with political and other discussions put into the all purpose gen. discussion forum. That way the RPers and you guys will mingle more.

AmazonBabe
May 20th, 2005, 11:11:15 PM
I guess I have only one question left: what shall become of me?

There are still uncertainties about this idea that are rubbing me the wrong way. At the moment, and the way I understand this idea, I don't want to RP a new start for my characters every bloody new year. Maybe for some, it's an opportunity. But for me, it spells work.

And I know I'm not the only one that isn't too keen about this idea.

I need a complete explaination of how this will work, how it will affect the characters we have worked hard to build. Goody for those that don't care if they start anew with their long-time characters, but what about people like me who don't want to do that?

My question remains: what will happen to me and those who feel as I do?

On another note...

What of this idea? Are we still proceeding with this? Hell, I was actually looking forward to this. It must be the first proposal-put-to-action that this board has come up with that I actually agreed to go along with without too much hemming and hawing. *shocker*

Lilaena De'Ville
May 20th, 2005, 11:44:43 PM
Rie, the idea has been explained to about five different people in this thread. I'm not sure how better to explain it.

If we go with the yearly resets, we will jointly pick a 'universe theme' to play in. You can take whatever characters you like into the universe, start new ones, or whatever. You can do WHATEVER YOU WANT with your characters. You do not have to lose your currently earned rank (unless you want to) when we reset, and you can continue to earn and keep rank throughout the resets.

After a year, another universe theme is decided upon, and bam! we reset and everyone starts fresh again. If we do this, and people don't want to participate, then they don't have to. Honestly the loudest objections are on behalf of people who don't post here in the first place, or who hardly post at all.

The Empire taking over the galaxy idea was a brilliant one, and it has stalled. We have discussed it in this thread previously. Please read the whole thread before asking duplicate questions.

AmazonBabe
May 20th, 2005, 11:48:22 PM
Sorry for making you have to repeat yourself. I don't have time to sit here for hours reading everything.

But thank you none the less for answering my questions.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 21st, 2005, 12:51:15 AM
no problem.

Morgan Evanar
May 21st, 2005, 09:10:23 AM
Something I think we should emphasize is moving away from the x is based on x planet except for military groups to encourage more open RPing. Training forums should be rendered obsolete.

Ishan Shade
May 21st, 2005, 09:51:45 AM
Originally posted by Gav Mortis
For people, old and new, this would breath so much new life back into our roleplaying world.

I agree. The reason I personally don't RP much here anymore is the fact that when I post it takes DAYS upon DAYS to get a response or the thread itself never gets finished and it's frustrating.

I would love to see an Empire storyline for a year or so, then when the next year comes make a new storyline but have it follow the proceeding one. I think people should be able to keep thier characters if they want and just adjust them the following year to the new storylines.

I also think it would help for people to have a limited number of characters...that may increase the RPing a bit if everyone only has a couple to worry about.

I have been a member here for quite some time, and SWFans isn't what it used to be. The RPing here is almost dead.

Dasquian Belargic
May 21st, 2005, 10:01:30 AM
I'm not sure if this point has been raised yet or not, but it's one that just occurred to me. For people who are worried about getting lost in the shuffle, because they're joining mid-way through the way, I think this is important to note (e.g. what you said about LiveWire, Rie).

For all there is going to be some kick off point, where the new scenario is put in place, your character wouldn't necessarily have to be there from the beginning. Over the course of the however many years SWFans has been active, people have joined without any confusion or hassle, despite the vast history the board has. Considering that with this reform there would be less than a years history to read up on, it's going to make jumping even easier.

Something I think we should emphasize is moving away from the x is based on x planet except for military groups to encourage more open RPing. Training forums should be rendered obsolete.

I think this makes sense for the Dark Side characters, but not so much for the Jedi.

I would, however, like to see multiple Jedi groups. Little sects and enclaves hidden away on various planets. Some public, some secret. I'd like to think that it would be possible for these groups to not even be aware of one anothers existence. Of course, they would be able to sense hints through the Force and such like, but I think this would give the universe a wider feel.

A complaint I've heard a couple of times is that SWfans feels so small, like everyone knows everyone else, and you can't help bumping into someone familiar, no matter where you go (perhaps because everyone spends most of their time on Coruscant or in Yogs!). Splitting groups and spreading things apart, having no set base as Morgan suggested, seems like an excellent starting point for creating a more realistic setting.

Kelt Simoson
May 21st, 2005, 01:37:55 PM
I've not rpied here for quite some time and for the reasons already mentioned. I've been here three nearly four years and i think my fuel has run dry. In my opinion it is time to refuel and start something afresh and i totally agree that this will draw me back into RPing on a constant basis, i think that a story involving everyone, not just 2 or 3 people will bring many to like rping again.

I say go for it, not that its not been already decided, just wanted to add my 2 cents.

I take it the first arc is to be the imperial take over?

imported_Firebird1
May 21st, 2005, 04:18:59 PM
Ok, my 2 cents here. I know I haven't posted in a serious sense in a while.

Anyways, I think that all the above changes will be good for you all except there is one problem. 5 or 6 characters a person could have in a arc? I remember that you had an official group when you had five or six characters together in a group. The problem I see is that now one person can basically create their own groups and don't need anyone else, no need to recruit or enlist..

The other thing that could cause a problem is accepting people new and old into the groups without ailenating or ignoring them. This has happened to me, and others and more people would RP here if we could post knowing that we would not be ignored because we were not in any position to affect the outcome or alienated because we are not liked.

Ok thats two problems, but I think they sum up my feelings.

Dasquian Belargic
May 21st, 2005, 04:24:19 PM
Originally posted by Firebird1
The problem I see is that now one person can basically create their own groups and don't need anyone else, no need to recruit or enlist..

People could already do that now? I know lots of people have more than five characters but don't feel the need to start their own factions up, based solely around their own characters. Roleplaying with yourself is boring and creatively stale.

The other thing that could cause a problem is accepting people new and old into the groups without ailenating or ignoring them. This has happened to me, and others and more people would RP here if we could post knowing that we would not be ignored because we were not in any position to affect the outcome or alienated because we are not liked.

No one is denied entrance to a group, right now, providing they can a) write a coherent sentence and b) understand the rules of common sense and fair play. As for people being alienated because they aren't liked... :huh This reminds me of all that clique business. Admitedly, some people just don't get on, but that certainly doesn't mean that the board as a whole shuns you.

It's like any social situation - there's always going to be some personality clashes, but that doesn't mean everybody is out to get you or that even just one person will go out of their way to make things difficult to you. It may have been that way in the past, but SWFans has been OOC drama free for a looong while now.

Morgan Evanar
May 21st, 2005, 04:26:13 PM
Anyways, I think that all the above changes will be good for you all except there is one problem. 5 or 6 characters a person could have in a arc? I remember that you had an official group when you had five or six characters together in a group. The problem I see is that now one person can basically create their own groups and don't need anyone else, no need to recruit or enlist..No, you have to have 5 people in a group, not characters. This will not be an issue.

The other thing that could cause a problem is accepting people new and old into the groups without ailenating or ignoring them. This has happened to me, and others and more people would RP here if we could post knowing that we would not be ignored because we were not in any position to affect the outcome or alienated because we are not liked.Most of my characters will start off with little to no group leaning and I'm going to RP with whoever makes the most sense. One is going to be working for the Imperials straight away, and that means RPing with people I normally don't anyway.

Beaten by Elfboy.

I think the forum listings need a revamp too:

Star Wars Discussion (combines EU+Films)
Box Office and Other Media Discuss Flim, Music, and the Arts
General Discussion (combines off topic for Box Office and OOC)
Gaming is fine
Collecting is fine
Trash Misc
Operations is fine
Roleplaying fine
Storytelling is fine

OOC becomes:
-Propaganda and News Forum
-RP Planning Discussion Forum

Master Yoghurt
May 22nd, 2005, 12:32:48 AM
That forum listing revamp looks good. Although, I personally think Storytelling and Roleplaying could just be merged, as they are currently not so different that it justifies seperate forums.

Morgan Evanar
May 22nd, 2005, 09:17:11 AM
I think it's good to keep them seperate to prevent people wandering into closed RPs.

Ishan Shade
May 22nd, 2005, 10:14:54 AM
When are we thinking of doing this whole thing? Soon?

imported_Firebird1
May 22nd, 2005, 10:17:10 AM

It's like any social situation - there's always going to be some personality clashes, but that doesn't mean everybody is out to get you or that even just one person will go out of their way to make things difficult to you. It may have been that way in the past, but SWFans has been OOC drama free for a looong while now.

I think your right about that, so I'm willing to give it another go. wither it's with this character or another. So I'll keep an eye on this place and see what happens. I hope these changes are a good thing for this place.

Morgan Evanar
May 22nd, 2005, 11:10:56 AM
Originally posted by Ishan Shade
When are we thinking of doing this whole thing? Soon? Very soon.

I've made a seperate thread for the plot discussion for the upcoming scenario. (http://69.93.59.182/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38409)

Lilaena De'Ville
May 22nd, 2005, 11:11:08 PM
I still really want a creative forum, set up sort of like so:

SW-Fans Graphic Design (or something) on the main index.

subforums:
-art request (for signature requests, artist renderings, etc)
-tutorials and PS help (self-explanatory)
-creative challenges (to stretch our imaginations with wallpaper creations, etc)
-SW-Fans Media (perhaps a link to a separate address where a gallery with caps from all six movies)

Then artists could have their own galleries to host art, fan art, blends, what-have-you if they are Supporters with supporter accounts. Winning art from challenges would win icons or avatars they could display in their profiles or on their private blogs, and the winning entries could be hosted in a separate gallery.

Morgan Evanar
May 23rd, 2005, 05:15:04 AM
-SW-Fans Media (perhaps a link to a separate address where a gallery with caps from all six movies)I think that is a land-mine we should avoid.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 23rd, 2005, 10:34:42 AM
Why? I mean, I can probably find them all capped online already, except RotS.

Dasquian Belargic
May 23rd, 2005, 10:57:24 AM
I'm guessing its a bad idea because of the amount of space that is going to take up.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 23rd, 2005, 10:59:51 AM
We can cap them, and have the zip files available?

edit: Honestly, I think I could set up the site myself, I just need the caps done for me.

AmazonBabe
May 23rd, 2005, 02:41:01 PM
Roleplaying fine
Storytelling is fine

I personally think Storytelling and Roleplaying could just be merged, as they are currently not so different that it justifies seperate forums.

I think it's good to keep them seperate to prevent people wandering into closed RPs.

That, and because some of us may still have RP ideas that we want to continue to move forward with, and having the Storytelling forum open to us will allow us to go with said RPs without mucking up the story arcs the others want to create in the RP forum.

Dae Jinn
May 23rd, 2005, 06:35:33 PM
We can cap them, and have the zip files available?

edit: Honestly, I think I could set up the site myself, I just need the caps done for me.

I think zip files would be best, esp. if we do have contests on specific films.

I like the idea of having a larger forum for sig requests and such, because it's kind of lost in the GJO. There are lots of great PS artists here, as well as pencil and paper artists, so showcasing their work = good idea, IMO :)

AmazonBabe
May 23rd, 2005, 06:38:02 PM
Questions...

Will we be having a vote on this issue of story arc RPing?

Also, with this story arc thing, what will become of the forums, i.e. TSO, GJO, etc?

Seeing as how we pay for the space, I'm assuming we can keep them as is and make whatever changes we discuss within the groups?

Lilaena De'Ville
May 23rd, 2005, 07:55:14 PM
You paid for the space, you can use it however you want, is how I'm taking it. I'll probably give the KA forums a face lift and a new name. We haven't completely decided yet (looks like I'll be there all alone ^_^;)

Cat Terrist
May 23rd, 2005, 11:22:22 PM
I think that is a land-mine we should avoid.

Legal landmine. Capping is copyright infringement and it's not for fair use.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 24th, 2005, 01:12:11 AM
oh rlly.

Cat Terrist
May 24th, 2005, 01:30:11 AM
oh rlly.

What we do with sigs and stuff is pretty legally grey area already. If you posted unadulterated caps from movies, your not just in the grey area, your firmly outside in the illegal zone. Given Lucasarts is pretty strict with copyright, it's probably best not going down that road.

Even the pic I'm using right now is illegal - except in this case, it's me. As it's really me, I've got a right to use my own image. Fair use provision.

TheHolo.Net
May 24th, 2005, 07:38:09 AM
A suggestion that stands out to me that I like and which needs some more clarification is the one about a post commenting system.

I could probably mod the DB and the thread display to make such a system possible but I need some ideas on how it should look and function.

I was thinking about a couple of possible methods of using and accessing a commenting system.

Each post in a thread could have an icon that leads to a comment about that individual post, which could be self contained on its own page. The second idea I had was that each user profile could lead to a page that contained all post comments for that user and had a way to tie it in with each post.

Such a system is not going to be simple to create and implement but more ideas on functionality and asthetics would be helpful.

Tiberius Anar
May 24th, 2005, 07:50:18 AM
I first encountered the idea on a fanfic website a friend of mine put me on to.

The authour/thread initiator places a link marked "Review" at the end of the story. People click on it and are taken to a thread in a review forum. The authour states in the first thread "Review please" to make it all nice and "legal" as it were. Sometimes they add "what did people think of my characterisation/ description/ action/ humour?" or something similar. Then people simply post their comments.

If I recall they have rules about the tone of reviews and mods prevent all the usual stuff like personal attacks. Generally they have a good, constructive atmosphere.

I would suggest that you create a subforum of OOC (or whatever takes its place) and leave the linking to thread initiators. It would probably be best to limit threads being reviewed to those that have been completed.

On another topic, the creative forum idea. I love it. And I thought I would suggest that the creative challenges could be related to the stories being played out IC. For example create a "poster" for the present boardwide story arc (if we have one) at the staff's request or a particular thread in or out of the arc at the request of the initiator.

Master Yoghurt
May 24th, 2005, 07:50:30 AM
That would be incredible useful.

If youre going for simple and functional, you could have number in paranthesis in small font size. The number indicates the amount of comments made for that post and links directly to the comments page. Once you click the link, you can read all the comments made (if any), and post your own comment.

TheHolo.Net
May 24th, 2005, 07:59:25 AM
I would suggest that you create a subforum of OOC (or whatever takes its place) and leave the linking to thread initiators. It would probably be best to limit threads being reviewed to those that have been completed.I was thinking more along the lines of a commenting system per "post" not really a "review" thread system. I would also prefer not to have an additional forum as part of the implementation. I like less clutter myself. I appreciate the idea. All ideas have value. :)

Originally posted by Master Yoghurt
That would be incredible useful.

If youre going for simple and functional, you could have number in paranthesis in small font size. The number indicates the amount of comments made for that post and links directly to the comments page. Once you click the link, you can read all the comments made (if any), and post your own comment. Numbers in each post with the number of comments for it...Good idea and it would only add a single simple count query......hmmm, though it may add a simple count query for each post in a thread....Don't think that idea will fly as it would create too may queries per thread page. Good idea though, keep 'em coming.

Tiberius Anar
May 24th, 2005, 08:06:46 AM
Originally posted by SWFans.Net
I would also prefer not to have an additional forum as part of the implementation. I like less clutter myself.

I defer to your judgment and needs.

Master Yoghurt
May 24th, 2005, 08:22:22 AM
Hmm.. ok, lets see. In that case, I would probably go for a clickable icon, like you mentioned. Instead, there would be 2 types of icons. One for when there are comments made, and one for when no comments have been made, possibly even a third, for when there are comments unread (although, I guess that would add too much DB stress). The important thing is the reader knows when a comment has been made to the post or not.

Edit: Actually, thats still a DB query for every post. I have another idea that might fix that..

At every thread page, you have a numbered link. The link leads to a comment page for the thread. That way you solve the DB query problem (only one query per page), and posters can comment on a roleplay without editing in OOC remarks or through private message.

Edit 2: Ok, so you want comment system per post. Ack, I will get back to you when I figured it out.

TheHolo.Net
May 24th, 2005, 08:38:44 AM
I actually had an idea that would add no queries to the thread display and would make a comment icon appear only if there are any comments for that post, if there aren't any, then no icon in that post.

It would require an additional field in the post table, but should do the trick.

What to use for a "comment" icon....

Master Yoghurt
May 24th, 2005, 08:43:41 AM
I actually had an idea that would add no queries to the thread display and would make a comment icon appear only if there are any comments for that post, if there aren't any, then no icon in that post

Ok, that would work neatly :)

What to use for a "comment" icon....

A talking bubble? An exclamation mark? A lightbulb? Something small and simple I guess.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 24th, 2005, 10:45:42 AM
A dancing Yoda. :D

Lady Vader
May 24th, 2005, 12:00:45 PM
It was all i could find... http://www.geocities.co.jp/Hollywood-Theater/8572/usmovie/starwarrior/yoda_dance.gif

Lilaena De'Ville
May 24th, 2005, 02:10:12 PM
Originally posted by Lady Vader
It was all i could find... http://www.geocities.co.jp/Hollywood-Theater/8572/usmovie/starwarrior/yoda_dance.gif This link does not have a dancing yoda in it. Disappointed I am!

Lady Vader
May 24th, 2005, 02:15:31 PM
It... doesn't? O_o

But... there's a dancing Yoda on my screen when i click it... :huh

Mitch
May 24th, 2005, 03:09:17 PM
Okay, having been horrendously busy for a week, and then gone for another, I have totally missed this thread and idea that we will be resetting and whatnot.

As interesting of an idea as it is, it is 100% not compatible with the way I play. If it is fully initiated, I'm afraid I will only be finishing out the RP's I have going now, and not venturing into--or starting--any new ones.

I've worked for years to slowly and realistically build my characters and their world, and I was under the impression that that's what a lot of people here liked about my writing. This new format would nearly obliterate my ability to create and structure as I do now. Yes, I know I've been slow lately, but IRL comes first, I always thought.

I am not in favor of the new format, as fresh and exciting as it may be. I mean, how long after it gets implemented will it too slow and die just like massive group RP's that are started from time to time? I just see it being a "good idea at the time" but not a worthwhile solution. While I would like RPs to move long at a decent pace and be concluded, I hardly think that a yearly track timeline is the way to do it. Sometimes you just can't force creativity.

So, yeah, if this goes into effect, I'll be keenly interested in finishing up my threads and then leave. It's been fun while it has lasted, but I have no interest in this new format. Besides, when it all boils down to it, if I'd continue on into the new format, all I'd end up with are padawans. Sure, padawans who have been around for longer than some knights, but padawans nonetheless. I know we can keep whatever we have now, but, put yourself in my shoes: do you want to have to compete with other padawans for attention after you've ALREADY been one for two, maybe three years? I highly doubt it.

Morgan Evanar
May 24th, 2005, 03:32:31 PM
I don't see any reason why you couldn't fit in like everyone else is going to? While it's admirable that you've continued being a Padawan for three years, the way you've played your characters is a large part of that. GJO's staff has been waiting for you to say "ok Sejah has matured enough!" for the past year and a half. There isn't any reason you couldn't have a Padawn on the brink of promotion at the start of everything. If you feel you're incapable of roleplaying in a new timeline, we're going to miss you, but there are many of us that are tired of the 6 years of accumulated dogma the current setting has.
I am not in favor of the new format, as fresh and exciting as it may be. I mean, how long after it gets implemented will it too slow and die just like massive group RP's that are started from time to time? I just see it being a "good idea at the time" but not a worthwhile solution. While I would like RPs to move long at a decent pace and be concluded, I hardly think that a yearly track timeline is the way to do it. Sometimes you just can't force creativity. There aren't going to be massive group RPs because they don't work. However, we now have logical freedom of association. I know one of my characters is going to be working with the Fleet Roleplayers because it makes sense! My other character will be largely determined by what happens on the board, maybe. There aren't the same logical restrictions for either IC or OOC association, and the only dogma we'll have is in the plotline we've cooked up, and Lucas's.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 24th, 2005, 04:29:49 PM
Sejah, as a moderator, I wouldn't have a problem if you decided you wanted two Knights. Both Sejah and J'ktal are worthy characters, and you have certainly proven your worth as an RPer.

When it comes to the Nehantites and their storied history, I don't see that any of that would arbitrarily have to change. During the Purge certainly a few Jedi might have found their way into hiding on Nehantite (maybe!) and started a small enclave there, hidden from the Empire on a solidly neutral planet. There are many ways you could include most of the history you have RPed already.

I would be heartbroken if you left RPing. :cry

edit:

How about a capped gallery available only to supporters? (still trying to figure out how to get the creative forums to work well) If we zip the files, and have the links to them in the supporter forum (on yousendit.com or something) that should work. We'd want our artists to buy gallery space anyway.

Master Yoghurt
May 24th, 2005, 06:07:00 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville How about a capped gallery available only to supporters? (still trying to figure out how to get the creative forums to work well) If we zip the files, and have the links to them in the supporter forum (on yousendit.com or something) that should work. We'd want our artists to buy gallery space anyway.

That would probably work. As a side note, there are hundreds if not thousands of fansites who use caps from the movies without any trouble.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 25th, 2005, 12:14:01 AM
Originally posted by Master Yoghurt
As a side note, there are hundreds if not thousands of fansites who use caps from the movies without any trouble.
exactly my point that no one seemed to get. Thank you.

Dark Lord Rivin
May 25th, 2005, 04:42:02 AM
In my opinion, this project will be more likely to drive people away and keep the new people away. I know that once this is in effect I will no longer be RPing here. I have spent too much time building my characters to where they are now, and I do not feal that this new way will allow me to have my characters the way I want them. I have too much backstory for my characters that doing anything out of the timeline we are currently in would just not work.

As for why I think this will keep people away, It is confusing! I understand the concept but I don't understand how this will solve anything. Putting more restrictions on people, randomly changing the setting on people, and trying to force them to post quickly is not the way to get people to join.

So as of the start of this RP Season method, The following characters will be gone from the RP section of this board.

Shanaria Fabool, Leten Snat, Dark Lord Rivin, Rasha Vill, Ida Knoe, Rena D'sor, Random Person, Thug, Lord Talzen, Dillin Gack, Darth Bubbles, Neyasha, Valora Ashen, Audrie X-4, Aurora Silvin and likely a few others I can't remember at this moment.

I hope I'm wrong about this new way and wish you the best of luck with it, but that way of RPing is just not for me.

Dasquian Belargic
May 25th, 2005, 04:49:50 AM
Randomly changing the setting? We've already stated that the setting is going to be announced on a regular basis, and that the members of the board will have a direct input on what the setting is going to be. It's hardly like the staff are just springing a new setting when you least expect it.

Also, no one is being forced to post quickly. You can post at whatever speed you like. A year is a pretty long time, so it's not as if you're going to be rushed for time.

As for putting restrictions on people, I don't see this either. If anything, we're removing restrictions. People are being given the opportunity to make a character of any kind, with the ability to transfer rank onto new characters or re-tool old characters into something completely different.

The whole concept of training is, at least within the Jedi, being reorganized to something far less formal and much more dependent on good old fashioned storytelling rather than churning out training threads. People aren’t going to be forced into groups just so that they can get progress through the ranks, and with the seasonal changes there’s no need to go through the repetitive motions of training up a new character to a rank you’ve already spent months/years achieving, because you can just carry it over from last year.

Rasha Vill
May 25th, 2005, 05:23:18 AM
--Story arcs are approximately a year in length. We vote towards the end of the year on the next all-encompassing story.

--Story arcs may or may not include years resets. We are at the very least doing ONE reset and it will take place in the next week or so.

That sound like a random sorta thing

As for putting restrictions on people, I don't see this either. If anything, we're removing restrictions. People are being given the opportunity to make a character of any kind, with the ability to transfer rank onto new characters or re-tool old characters into something completely different.

I'm sorry, but I think I miss worded my statment. By restrictions I was meening the Forcing people ether like the storyline that was chosen, or sit on the side lines. It dosen't sound like you are giving people the freedom to do what they want, and (in my opinon) not giving people the time they need to develop a character in to an individual with their own quirk, flaws, and history. And Really a year is not all that long compaired to the time some people like to take to build their characters.

This may work for some people but not for me.

Dasquian Belargic
May 25th, 2005, 05:41:47 AM
That sound like a random sorta thing

"We vote towards the end of the year". Thats not randomed in the slighest. The fact that the arcs may or may not include resets will be a consequence of the vote, so there will be nothing random about it.

I'm sorry, but I think I miss worded my statment. By restrictions I was meening the Forcing people ether like the storyline that was chosen, or sit on the side lines. It dosen't sound like you are giving people the freedom to do what they want, and (in my opinon) not giving people the time they need to develop a character in to an individual with their own quirk, flaws, and history. And Really a year is not all that long compaired to the time some people like to take to build their characters.

I think that something which people are failing to understand is that you can essentially keep the same character that you have now, and across all of the future arcs. If, for instance, I wanted to keep playing Vega the exact same way that I do now, I could do that. All I need to acknowledge is that his history is going to be diferent. I'm sure you're aware that TSO is intending to stay the same, structurally - only its history is being transposed into a different time line.

While people are being encouraged to start a fresh, we're certainly not stopping anyone from keeping their characters as they have them now. What we're essentially doing is creating roleplaying situations, because quite frankly the one we have at present is beyond stale.

Marceloi
May 25th, 2005, 07:19:32 AM
I think that something which people are failing to understand is that you can essentially keep the same character that you have now, and across all of the future arcs. If, for instance, I wanted to keep playing Vega the exact same way that I do now, I could do that. All I need to acknowledge is that his history is going to be diferent. I'm sure you're aware that TSO is intending to stay the same, structurally - only its history is being transposed into a different time line.

While people are being encouraged to start a fresh, we're certainly not stopping anyone from keeping their characters as they have them now. What we're essentially doing is creating roleplaying situations, because quite frankly the one we have at present is beyond stale.

I think the other thing people miss is that the scenario is simple, but what you make of it isnt up to the moderators, but to the playrs themselves.

The beauty of SW-Fans is that it's always been player driven in content. That's clearly not going to change and frankly, if I have read the set up right, there's a lot of freedom to move and be creative in a fresh senario.

Apart from personal issues making me come back, the thought of doing somethign new and fresh is invogorating. One thing that is truth is my writing has suffered badly due to same old crap posted again and again. Simply, that's now also the big problem here. It does not encourage new thought as there is a six year level of baggage. Some of us have put away a massive wall of words and frankly when you get past a certain level it's repeditive. Sure, some people feel an attachment to characters and stories, but as you read the senario, that actually doesnt need to change, you can do exactly the same thing if you want.

There's still the freedom to do what you want, but now the background changes. What's so hard about that?

As for why I think this will keep people away, It is confusing! I understand the concept but I don't understand how this will solve anything. Putting more restrictions on people, randomly changing the setting on people, and trying to force them to post quickly is not the way to get people to join.

Confusing? Not if you read the proposal and understand what it means. I personally dont see the issues you've stated.

Look, Sw-Fans is dead if soemthing doesnt change. I'm glad some now get it. A good reset is a wakeup call and the best way to keep n00bs is that there is a community of decent posters who write well.

I'm looking at this reset not as a forced change, but as a new challenge.

Dae Jinn
May 25th, 2005, 08:53:35 AM
Originally posted by Marceloi

There's still the freedom to do what you want, but now the background changes. What's so hard about that?

omg, i <3 you! :hug

Clive Solo
May 25th, 2005, 10:55:52 AM
Originally posted by Marceloi

Look, Sw-Fans is dead if soemthing doesnt change. I'm glad some now get it. A good reset is a wakeup call and the best way to keep n00bs is that there is a community of decent posters who write well.

I'm looking at this reset not as a forced change, but as a new challenge.

Very well said...just look how much buzz it's created already and it hasn't even happend yet...I mean I think a lot of people were waiting for something like this, I know I was.

Danik Drayton
May 25th, 2005, 11:52:06 AM
Id just like to stick my thoughts in here, I apologise for echoing what in cases has already been said.

Iv been here at the forums for two years now and recently my posting rate has gone down to nearly zero. I think after 6 years of the huge amount of posting and activity here, that all the ideas within this curent "history" have been used up.

I play the Star Wars Roleplaying Game using the d20 system in which you are able to switch to new campaigns and story lines, keeping the same characters and era as they are, or changing them completely. The proposed changes to the forums will bring this element to RPing here. I believe this is an excelent idea.

There may be some downsides to it, but at least it will get people posting again.

Nathanial K'cansce
May 25th, 2005, 12:30:01 PM
For all those who say that you need more than a year to truly develop a character into someone you actually care for/can feel comfortable writing about, and above all, an individual - hogwash!

My advice: go read a book, a short story, a movie. Watch some well put together music videos. If the author is good, they will grab our attention and make the reader genually (word?) feel for the main characters/main villians, all within the first couple of chapters or so. Or in the case of a short story - the first page.

With the old way, Fan's 6 years of the same thing, people felt as if they had all the time in the world to develop their characters. They took their time in building their stories up. Basically, we, as RPers, were making who our characters are on the spot, while figuring out who the will be with RP's in the future.

Now, with this "yearly" deadline, we'll have the chance to establish a character, with established traits. Even if it's a new character, you can make them however you want. With whatever quirk you want. Take up the very first RP you do in this new timeline/storyarc and make your character believable. This is a challange that, I feel, will make us better writers. Now, we can have are characters as we envision them to be; exepct this time their past dictates who they are and how they act, while the current RP will dictate who they will become and how they will change.

...I hope that made sense.

Rasha Vill
May 25th, 2005, 12:51:05 PM

To me the background makes the character. I go to great lengths to keep my character's background the same. That is EXACTLY the part I have the problem. The fact that we are FORCED to change our character's background.

Another thing, I thought this thread was for people to say what they think about this change. I tell people what I think and All I get is the sence that people are trying to tell me that the way I see things are wrong. I don't expect others to understand The attachment I get to my characters, or how I feel when people try to force changes on to me. So just except the fact that this is how I feel and Thus I will be leaving because of it.

TheHolo.Net
May 25th, 2005, 01:42:32 PM
I have something semi brief to say, which will actually be the first real statement from me regarding this subject. The only other post I know of that I made were more about procedural things regarding copyrighted materials and a few bits about forum archival.

I am neither for nor against this “reset” and the change to annual timelines. I am not forcing anything on anyone. This place has always been about what the community decides for itself. I am letting that happen with no opinionated input from myself because about the only real opinion I have right now, is that I would like to see this place continue on, and dare I say, THRIVE and grow into something larger and more enjoyable for even more people.

How to make that happen, I am unsure, but I’ll leave the decisions on how the RP community wants to proceed up to the community itself, up to all of you.

Dasquian Belargic
May 25th, 2005, 02:24:48 PM
Originally posted by Rasha Vill
Another thing, I thought this thread was for people to say what they think about this change. I tell people what I think and All I get is the sence that people are trying to tell me that the way I see things are wrong.

We're just trying to explain how things are going to work, since people don't seem to be able to completely grasp the concept, in spite of the same questions being answered over and over again.

I don't expect others to understand The attachment I get to my characters, or how I feel when people try to force changes on to me.

That's where you're wrong. Just like you, some of us here have 5+ years invested into our characters. That's about as attached as you can get. As has already been said, it's not difficult to transpose your character from one situation to another. Their background can remain virtually identical.

Danik Drayton
May 25th, 2005, 03:32:37 PM
I dont know if this idea will be of any help or not but with everyone asking the same questions alot, i thought if someone wrote a thread in Ooc, listing all the major questions people are asking along with clear set answers.

Just an idea to make it easier to follow and so everyone knows exactly how everything stands at the present time.

Dasquian Belargic
May 25th, 2005, 03:34:09 PM
Originally posted by Danik Drayton
I dont know if this idea will be of any help or not but with everyone asking the same questions alot, i thought if someone wrote a thread in Ooc, listing all the major questions people are asking along with clear set answers.

Just an idea to make it easier to follow and so everyone knows exactly how everything stands at the present time.

http://sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38431

Danik Drayton
May 25th, 2005, 03:39:54 PM
Well, well.... what can I say..... god im slow

thank you for pointing out what should have been obvious to me

Dasquian Belargic
May 25th, 2005, 03:40:45 PM
;) No problem.

Marceloi
May 25th, 2005, 04:39:15 PM
To me the background makes the character. I go to great lengths to keep my character's background the same. That is EXACTLY the part I have the problem. The fact that we are FORCED to change our character's background.

Another thing, I thought this thread was for people to say what they think about this change. I tell people what I think and All I get is the sence that people are trying to tell me that the way I see things are wrong. I don't expect others to understand The attachment I get to my characters, or how I feel when people try to force changes on to me. So just except the fact that this is how I feel and Thus I will be leaving because of it.

* sigh *

No. In fact, you can totally ignore the background and write around it if you so wish. The point, that seems to be missed is that what the reset means to you.... is up to you and you alone

The whole point of RP is to let your imagination run wild, not lock yourself into something and repeat it or be so welded to it you cant do something new and different. It's a pity it's taken 6 months off and this reset for me to realise that. It's why at the end of my stay in 2004, I sucked. Too much attachment, too much same raise, wash, repeat

Lilaena De'Ville
May 25th, 2005, 05:18:54 PM
Rivin - we're not trying to convince you you are wrong, we're trying to clear up what you are very clearly misunderstanding.

No one is going to force you to stay - if, after you clearly understand what is going to happen, you still want to go, GO then. But don't leave all angry because you don't understand what's going to be happening.

Lion El' Jonson
May 25th, 2005, 05:31:39 PM
I'd add that neither of my main characters are undergoing fundamental differences in their background. Old Lion: was an Admiral in the New Republic, commanding forces from the Navy and from his homeworld. New Lion: Is an Admiral in the Rebel Alliance, commanding forces from the Navy and from his homeworld. Not much has changed, has it? :lol

The newer people at Fans have roleplayed within the confines of this environment for at most two years, approximately the time Fans began experiencing a decline. I joined in 2002, and I was around during the 'active days' of SWFans, where every forum was jammed with posts, where a new thread got replies within minutes, where the discussions were lots of fun, and where polite (usually) discussions raged everywhere. I have a particularly fond memory of the "GJO Dance" that was put on, which garnered hundreds of replies within a couple of days and was generally a great way to advance a character. These were the times when Fans was active, and where recruitment threads overspilled. From what the 'Ye Olde Guarde' has told me, the earlier days were even busier!

Now, what is Fans? It's still fun, but it's tepid and stale. We don't really have anywhere to go with our roleplays besides maintaining the status quo. These resets give us a chance to 'shake the box', so to speak. If you don't want to change your character between resets, that's fine! You don't even really have to change your background. Looking through history, almost every event can be related to a previous event. It wouldn't be difficult to translate incidents in your previous past to incidents in the reset's past.

A few people may be feeling alienated, and I think that we all understand that, but I don't think that anybody wants to see SWFans die. Some may believe that the changes are confusing, but I completely disagree. What IS confusing is the current state of things. Anybody new that wants to jump into SWFans has to read through 6 years of dynamic storyline before they really feel comfortable, and after that, then what do they do?

With this reset, everybody is on an equal footing. These resets allow for a fresh start, and the millions of new ideas that will result from such a beginning.

imported_Natia Telcontar
May 25th, 2005, 06:36:42 PM
Rivin - we're not trying to convince you you are wrong, we're trying to clear up what you are very clearly misunderstanding.

I'm not clear on how Rivin is misunderstanding this. He's posted his opinion and what he's going to be doing. He doesn't like the idea of the reset so he's leaving. Plain and simple. I know how much he's worked on his characters backstories for the timeline that we've been RPing in, and for him to RP in a different timeline, he'd have to competely rework his characters.

The same goes for me. Due to certain issues over the months and this reset which I'm opposed about and have already stated but felt like I was both ignored and insulted when I said I'm opposed, I'm leaving the RP aspect of SWFans.

Yes Fans has been dying, but with luck, what you're doing will breath new life into it. I'm happy that you're trying to do what you can to keep Fans alive, but I personally don't like the reset idea. I hope you all have fun with it though.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 25th, 2005, 06:45:00 PM
Okay have fun. :) Bye.

XI-20-P
May 25th, 2005, 08:47:15 PM
I think this reset idea will do the forums good, and kudos to whomever came up with it. I like the story arcs and yearly resets and whatnot. I know its not much help, but I figured another voice among the crowd with compliments might mean some worth.

Tear
May 25th, 2005, 11:12:19 PM
Curious to those who dislike change so much. Confused how they can dislike it without giving it a try. Its like saying you dont like to swim without ever trying to swim.

The water looks cold.

Have you touched it yet?

No, but it is cold.

As for back story changing. Im sure some changes might be appropriate. For example I play one character. Only one ive tried another but the interested in that thread died.

Now all the history and backstory Tear has will still be intact. Sure, different universe but the only thing changing will be his motivation. Before it was his duty to the Empire. Now it will be for himself.

My characters history doesnt have to change. Why should yours? I dont get it.

The forum needs a shake up and this reset is already starting a buzz. So its working already.

Kale
May 26th, 2005, 01:10:25 AM
Patronizing analogies do not improve the situation.

A lot of people are vastly underestimating the amount of work it'll take to fit characters into the new timeline. Perhaps some characters, like Lion, will make the transition almost seamlessly. Others have backgrounds that are very closely intertwined with relationships, alliances, and circumstances on the current SWFans board. It's a great deal of work, at best, and terribly frustrating, at worst, to tear all that down and try to make a new place for an established character.

I think the timeline change is a bold idea. I haven't decided how I'm going to approach it yet; I know that my characters are the sort that will need a fair bit of overhaul if I choose to use them again. Nevertheless, I have been quite frustrated with how a great many people are handling those who disagree with the changes.

As far as I can tell, the relevant pros and cons have been laid out pretty clearly. The decision has been made. Some people like the result, others don't. Those who don't are not deficient in their understanding, creativity, or work ethic. They have their reasons, and they don't need to be harrangued, cajoled, or reassured.

So may I suggest we stop retreading old ground and risking hard feelings? Since the decision has been set in motion, perhaps we should move on to planning for the beginning of the story--discussing what groups will be available, what their relative conditions will be--e.g., is there any centralized Jedi presence? If so, where? What darkside groups are active? Who's leading them? Are the imperial leaders the same? Since the splinter groups won't exist anymore, how will they be organized?

Obviously, these things need to be decided by the group leaders themselves, not by board-wide committee--but, as of yet, I don't even know where to look for such information.

Dasquian Belargic
May 26th, 2005, 02:19:48 AM
The staff and members are the various groups are in the process of deciding on what to do right now. I can't speak for every group, but here is has been hammered out so far, for those feeling confused...

GJO will cease to exist, and will instead be replaced by various splinter Jedi groups. These groups won't have their own boards, but will rather use the old GJO board as a meeting point, a Jedi enclave or some such. This is due to the fact that Jedi are being actively hunted in this time line, so it wouldn't be wise to have a base of operations - even a so-called secret one. Jedi can either associate themselves with these small groups, or remain indepedent.

The Sisters of Chaos are converting their board into the Black Sun Crime organization. Members will be concered with smuggling, hunting, the usual sorts of things, though I know that numerous members are going to be Force sensitive. Given the job they'll be performing, it's pretty safe to assume they'll be using the Dark Side.

Kuklos Ataxia is going to become the planet Onderon, essentially. Lilaena De'Ville will be leading a Dark Jedi cult in the name of Freedon Nadd. Likewise with GJO, Dark Jedi can remain independent if they so wish.

TSO, as I understand is, is essentially going to remain the same. The group will move to Korriban and operate in secret, attempting to stamp out all opposite, both Jedi and Dark Jedi, in their bid for power. Again, it's not necessary to be a part of TSO to become a Sith. Many are people are adopting the old idea of the Sith acting in secret, in pairs.

Tiberius Anar
May 26th, 2005, 02:28:16 AM
Does the groups staffs include the Empire? Becasue I just started a thread to try organising Imperial players (yes I know I'm not staff but I haven't really seen much of Khendon and Telan and Visc is out of action at the moment.)

Dasquian Belargic
May 26th, 2005, 02:39:18 AM
Does the groups staffs include the Empire? Becasue I just started a thread to try organising Imperial players (yes I know I'm not staff but I haven't really seen much of Khendon and Telan and Visc is out of action at the moment.)

Yes. That's fine :)

Tiberius Anar
May 26th, 2005, 02:46:49 AM
So I am not treading on anyone's toes? I am actually doing something useful? Oh my!

Whilst we are thinking about sortign things out- what about the story arc?

imported_Blade Ice
May 26th, 2005, 04:48:57 AM
Reason's I dislike the Idea.

1. It restricts and in somecases total destroy's a persons backstory for a character and I see allot of through away characters coming into the mix.

2. It restricts people to a time limit to get everything done. Some of us have limited time as is and limiting it even more really sucks.

3. All the stuff I am working on right now is basically screwed and flushed down the toilet.

4. The groups will die because of this because there will be less reason to join if there just going to change and reform in a year.

5. I honestly don't believe it will bring in the kind of people your looking to bring in but instead you will lose allot of the good people you already have.

As for me my mind is already made up I told everyone in my current rps that if this Idea goes into affect I'm writing myself out of fans. Because I won't be able to keep up with the changing storyline and basically everything I have planned now is shot to hell.

imported_Blade Ice
May 26th, 2005, 06:04:43 AM
I want to state one thing seprate from what is stated above after reading the recap.

If there was no yearly reset involved i could work with this Idea. i do like the story arch aspect of it. Yet the yearly reset is the biggest draw back for me because it screws up everything in terms of my character Blade.

I could work with one reset at the very begining as I heard might be the possiblity in the recap thread.This would work for the mojority of the characters i play. It might work with the character I'm currently most worried about my first Blade ice that is if I can get a few things worked out first. But if I don't have Blade who is the character I have put the most work into here I don't think I will be able to continue here.

Like I said i am all in favor of the story arch but I fully disapprove of the yearly reset. I just want to make it clear I understand and I don't hate the whole Idea just parts of it.

Marceloi
May 26th, 2005, 06:36:35 AM
Who knows, we might find one reset works so well and we're having fun with it, maybe it wont be a year it may be three or four. FWIW, it appears a timeframe for any future senario changes is hazy at best.

Morgan Evanar
May 26th, 2005, 07:40:49 AM
Just because we're going to have yearly story arch does not mean we're going to reformat/wipe clean/nuclear option the board every year. That has proved an unpopular idea.

The story arch is a seperate device than the wipe. This wipe is happening. Future wipes will be brought up and discussed when someone feels like it.

The story arch is supposed to set the tone and backdrop for everyone, and doing it every year is a way to make sure that everyone is on the same page. Next time I'm sure we're going to collectively make sure that the arch coming into play isn't depedant on one individual.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 26th, 2005, 09:42:31 AM
Just as a side note - when people come up with reasons they don't like the reset you have to realize that the staff has heard all these reasons 150X over the last four days.

We've also explained the reset an equal number of times.

Lady Vader
May 26th, 2005, 10:32:03 AM
The forum needs a shake up and this reset is already starting a buzz. So its working already.

It sure has created a buzz, and it sure is working. I just wonder if it's working as intended.

(And for those wondering, I've dubbed myself the self-proclaimed pessimist and cynicist here at the boards. :p )

imported_Blade Ice
May 26th, 2005, 10:46:13 AM
No need to explain the reset I understand it I just don't like it plan and simple especially ona yearly basis. I like the story arch deal and it can be done with out a reset ever dang year.

Lady Vader
May 26th, 2005, 10:54:03 AM
From my understanding, the resets may not happen on a yearly basis if the story is going strong (besides the fact so many are opposed to it).

Yeah, the reset sucks, but unfortunately those for it way outnumber those against it.

But at least a compromise can hopefully be found about the yearly thing, which would REALLY suck.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 26th, 2005, 11:18:12 AM
Just because we're going to have yearly story arch does not mean we're going to reformat/wipe clean/nuclear option the board every year. That has proved an unpopular idea.

The story arch is a seperate device than the wipe. This wipe is happening. Future wipes will be brought up and discussed when someone feels like it.

The story arch is supposed to set the tone and backdrop for everyone, and doing it every year is a way to make sure that everyone is on the same page. Next time I'm sure we're going to collectively make sure that the arch coming into play isn't depedant on one individual.

imported_Blade Ice
May 26th, 2005, 11:28:11 AM
Yeah I know which is why i'm giving it a chance. even though it requires me to scrap everything I have done up to this point. even though i have to change ever single character i plan to use scrapping there whole backstories to make it work. But i am giving it a chance a single chance before i back out completly.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 26th, 2005, 12:11:11 PM
I also notice that the reset recap thread has only 117 views, which means not everyone is reading it. Tsk tsk.

And Blade, thank you for being willing to give it a chance. :)

Tiberius Anar
May 26th, 2005, 12:31:42 PM
I would just like to say that I am putting aside my misgivings. This is worth a try- look at the OOC forum for the sake of all that is holy (or possibly unholy). It's alive!

Figrin D'an
May 26th, 2005, 05:53:34 PM
The big hangup seems to be the whole yearly-reset idea, which everyone needs to understand is/was only a proposal. Like has been stated, this new storyline may become so popular that we just decide to keep it going as long as everyone is having fun with it. The yearly storyarc idea isn't necessarily a reset either. It's just an annual review of the storyline, and perhaps introducing another major plot point or two that people can play off of. It would not be scrapping one storyline for another. It would just be adding to it, and letting everyone flow from one plot into the next. Like a new season of the same TV show. Major story stays the same, but some of the details change/evolve as the story develops.

Lion El' Jonson
May 26th, 2005, 07:49:42 PM
For instance, we're (almost certainly) doing the time period immediately after the Emperor dies. The Death Star II's focusing crystals were destroyed, most of the main characters are dead, and both the Rebel Alliance and the Imperial Navy are licking their wounds. For something like this, we're incorporating all kinds of potential storylines: obviously, the loss of the Emperor will cause a political shakeup in the Empire. Let's not forget that the Ssi-Ruuk are attacking Bakura at this very moment, although it might turn out differently given that the Imperial fleet isn't as badly damaged as before. There are literally thousands of fresh options for RPs, something that Fans is lacking right now.

Now, fast forward 5 years. Perhaps we could do a recreation of the Thrawn Campaign, altered to fit into the current SWFans timeline. The characters you used during the first reset don't necessarily have to change, perhaps they're just 5 years older, with more experience or some new skills and toys. There is an immense amount of flexibility in this idea.

Note that I'm just using this as an example; I don't advocate that we write over EU stories, but it's an example of the degree of freedom we'll have.

DarthHERA
May 26th, 2005, 09:58:46 PM
1. A question -

After reading the recap thread, my opinion of this idea has changed from "not too sure 'bout this" to "this could be pretty good". The question I have is - if, say, I bring Hera to the new reset theme with not much of her history and as a fledgling in the darkside the first year...at the reset time, in the new year, could I bring her back as rank of Master (as she is currently). Or to ask more clearly: do the ranks as they are now hold true to be transferred over to our characters as we wish from year to reset year? A padawan one year, a Master another year just to change up the scenario?

2. A suggestion -

On an entirely different idea, what about having a night of the week specifically (but not exclusively) designated as "quick post night" or something.

For example, I remember having lots of fun when there were tonnes of ppl online and the thread was moving so fast that ppl were posting even before you could type up a reply. If we had one night, say Friday for example, where you knew posters were going to be there to do "quick" threads. Kind of like a "pickup volleyball game" scenario where whoever shows up, plays. The thread/s dont have to be of earthshaking character development, but simply a chance to create and post and interact with whoever happens to be about. It would provide a chance to roleplay with ppl you dont necessarily rp with, plus you wouldnt be sitting for ages waiting for the person who is supposed to post in your other threads while you linger about wanting to do something but not being able to.

You could have specific rules for these threads like, only 2
sentence posts - or 3 minute reply time... or something.

(I know Im MIA from SWF mostly, but am thinking of recommitting, so thought Id pipe in my thoughts)

Morgan Evanar
May 26th, 2005, 10:05:36 PM
Once you've earned a rank you've earned a rank. If you want to use it or not is up to you.

2. I dunno, I think this is something the roleplayers should encourage and not be something for the staff to take care of. If one of is around we generally have no issues enforcing an edict set forth by the first poster, so long as it is reasonable. :)

Also please please please come back we miss you terribly :(

imported_Firebird1
May 26th, 2005, 10:36:38 PM
Originally posted by DarthHERA
2. A suggestion -

On an entirely different idea, what about having a night of the week specifically (but not exclusively) designated as "quick post night" or something.

For example, I remember having lots of fun when there were tonnes of ppl online and the thread was moving so fast that ppl were posting even before you could type up a reply. If we had one night, say Friday for example, where you knew posters were going to be there to do "quick" threads. Kind of like a "pickup volleyball game" scenario where whoever shows up, plays. The thread/s dont have to be of earthshaking character development, but simply a chance to create and post and interact with whoever happens to be about. It would provide a chance to roleplay with ppl you dont necessarily rp with, plus you wouldnt be sitting for ages waiting for the person who is supposed to post in your other threads while you linger about wanting to do something but not being able to.

You could have specific rules for these threads like, only 2
sentence posts - or 3 minute reply time... or something.

(I know Im MIA from SWF mostly, but am thinking of recommitting, so thought Id pipe in my thoughts)

I'd be up for it, and I'd use Firebird for that, just for fun since obviously the fights would not be scripted into the bigger picture.
It would be fun to get into a fight once again!

Charley
May 26th, 2005, 11:01:01 PM
Originally posted by DarthHERA

:mad THINK FASTER :mad

:love miss you :cry

TheHolo.Net
May 27th, 2005, 08:50:36 AM
Seeing that it appears we are proceeding with this new RP style here pretty soon, I was curious with the new possibly dynamic structure of characters, if it would be helpful to add some user profile fields and if it would be useful for me to make the Biography field in user profiles accept more text? That way the Character discussion thread would not neccessarily be the catch all for the character histories and such.

I hope to implement the forum archive over this weekend, which I suspect will serve well to herald in the "New Age of RP" at SW-Fans.

Ishan Shade
May 27th, 2005, 09:41:07 AM
Seeing that it appears we are proceeding with this new RP style here pretty soon, I was curious with the new possibly dynamic structure of characters, if it would be helpful to add some user profile fields and if it would be useful for me to make the Biography field in user profiles accept more text? That way the Character discussion thread would not neccessarily be the catch all for the character histories and such.

I hope to implement the forum archive over this weekend, which I suspect will serve well to herald in the "New Age of RP" at SW-Fans.

:) Sounds great man. I think the biography idea is a good one, any thoughts on the revamp of the board? What forums are staying/leaving?

Drin Kizael
May 27th, 2005, 10:11:33 AM
I was curious with the new possibly dynamic structure of characters, if it would be helpful to add some user profile fields and if it would be useful for me to make the Biography field in user profiles accept more text?

Yes. Excellent idea.

Is there any way to restructure the User details page so that the Biography appears in the blank space at the top next to the Avatar?

It's not hard for people to look down at the bio section, but it might help it stand out more since these bios could get pretty big.

Morgan Evanar
May 27th, 2005, 10:39:27 AM
It can be done, but I'm hesitant to lend out someone else's time. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
May 27th, 2005, 10:44:36 AM
wow what a great idea! ;)

I think it's fantastic that we are going to do it. :)

Kelt Simoson
May 27th, 2005, 10:44:52 AM
I think perhaps every story arc we have also a webpage should be constructed explaining the history of that year, not for every character anyway, just a generalization of what happned that perticuler year, so we can make an archive of all our 'episodes'?

Just an idea :)

Morgan Evanar
May 27th, 2005, 10:58:17 AM
That's a good idea but I think it needs to carefully implimented.

TheHolo.Net
May 27th, 2005, 11:06:14 AM
Originally posted by Ishan Shade
:) Sounds great man. I think the biography idea is a good one, any thoughts on the revamp of the board? What forums are staying/leaving? That is a discussion that should probably be taken up by the group mods and members, with final decisions hopefully happening soon.

As far as what I have planned at this point with the archival: This forum will basically become the archive, all threads will remain but new posts and edits will not be possible as the archive will be closed to posting.

The new board will be an exact copy of this board but all threads older than six months will be removed from it, thus giving us a much needed boost in software performance.

The new forum will be found at this same URL (whichever of the current ones you use), while the archive (with everyone's old posts) will have a slightly different URL, something along the lines of:

h**p://sw-fans.net/archive/
or
h**p://swforums.net/archive/

Originally posted by Drin Kizael
Yes. Excellent idea.

Is there any way to restructure the User details page so that the Biography appears in the blank space at the top next to the Avatar?

It's not hard for people to look down at the bio section, but it might help it stand out more since these bios could get pretty big. That is a fairly large task considering I would need to implement it over approximately 25 different style sets, but it could happen.

Kelt Simoson
May 27th, 2005, 11:19:55 AM
That's a good idea but I think it needs to carefully implimented.

Aye alot of reasearch would need to be done by some of the staff in order to add some of the bigger stories of that year. Perhaps a few voulenteers would be able to keep up with the larger stories?

Or if a large story has just been completed in a thread we can have one of the participants abreveate(sp, tired) the entire thread into nuggerts of which can be placed up eventually in the archive?

Dasquian Belargic
May 28th, 2005, 05:06:32 AM
Originally posted by Kelt Simoson
I think perhaps every story arc we have also a webpage should be constructed explaining the history of that year, not for every character anyway, just a generalization of what happned that perticuler year, so we can make an archive of all our 'episodes'?

Just an idea :)

I'm not sure about this. Perhaps keeping track of how each 'season' begins (and ends, if we go with multiple resets), yes. But I think it would be difficult to select what to write about. At least in my opinion it would be hard to pick what is and isn't 'key'. I mean, you have to think of how many characters there are, and all the little stories they weave together. Is it worthwhile including what happened to every character?

If you're going to do that, I think maybe a good idea would be to have a page with the central theme of the story arc at the top, then offer the opportunity for people to contribute a single 200 (or whatever) word paragraph of what happened to their character throughout the course of the year – perhaps allow them to link to a handful of key threads. That way, people can read through what happened in the bigger picture, and then delve further into individual characters or plots if they like.

Kelt Simoson
May 28th, 2005, 05:09:15 AM
Then you mean like an archive thread that people can post to, if they so wish, explaining their story of their characters for that set arc?

Dasquian Belargic
May 28th, 2005, 05:37:10 AM
Well, there would be a thread for people to put their summaries into, and then the staff would copy them onto the webpage. Or something.