PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky Derby

Ryan Pode
May 7th, 2005, 04:30:25 PM
Closest race I'd ever seen. 7 horses could have won, Giacomo (50-1) odds won.

Jedi Master Carr
May 7th, 2005, 04:32:01 PM
I know big longshot, wish I had money on him. Rare to see that, have to ask CMJ when the last time that happened. I am glad Georgie's horse didn't win heh, did he even finish in the top 10?

CMJ
May 7th, 2005, 07:18:51 PM
Pretty good race, but I've seen better. Giacomo is the 2nd largest long shot to win the Derby in 131 years. Alot of times the field really thins for the Preakness because the other trainers are either worried or wanna make their horse fresh for the Belmont. But with such an upset I think the Preakness will have a full field.

Can't imagine Giacomo scares anyone.

Jinn Fizz
May 7th, 2005, 07:45:30 PM
The bad news is, there is zero chance of a Triple Crown winner this year. :(

The good news is, George Steinbrenner's horse got pasted. Big time. :)

darth_mcbain
May 7th, 2005, 07:49:52 PM
Originally posted by Jinn Fizz
The good news is, George Steinbrenner's horse got pasted. Big time. :)

Oh yeah... :lol

CMJ
May 7th, 2005, 07:53:06 PM
I wouldn't say the chance is zero. But it's definitely doubtful, I wonder what his odds will be in 2 weeks. I'll say 12-1 or so. He's still just 2 for 8 lifetime and I expect at least 9 challengers in Baltimore.

Jedi Master Carr
May 7th, 2005, 09:07:51 PM
Still nice to see such a big underdog win that part is nice.

CMJ
May 7th, 2005, 10:49:15 PM
It woulda been better if I'd have bet on him. ;)

Sort of reminds me of Sarava when he won the Belmost in '02 at like 70-1.

Doc Milo
May 8th, 2005, 06:48:29 PM
I just had an idea for a commercial:

George Stienbrenner sitting behind his desk, talking to his trainer and Joe Torre. "This isn't working! Something drastic has to be done!" Turning to Torre. "Perhaps a more rigorous workout." Turning to trainer, "A few more laps around the track." Cut to images of Yankees players doing sit ups and running around the warning track. Cut to Steinbrenners horse being ridden hard around a racetrack. Back to Steinbrenner's office. Turning to trainer: "I need the heart of a champion!" Turning to Torre: "A line-up change? Yes. A line-up change. That's it!" Cut to Belamy Road standing alone on a dirt track, wearing a saddle and a "shirt" around its midriff bearing the Yankee pinstripes. Pull back on camera to see Belamy Road standing in the middle infield of Yankee Stadium, the organ music plays, turning into the opening horns of a horse race. Cut to Pimlico Park, the starting gate, and Derek Jeter standing behind the gate with a Jockey held on his shoulders. The gun goes off. The gates open, horses break from the gate, Jeter takes a step ... fade out.

I don't know what the commercial is for, but I thought it would be funny.

CMJ
May 9th, 2005, 06:01:26 PM
From Bob Neumeier's column (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7794728/)at MSNBC about the Derby's winners and losers.

LOSERS

George Steinbrenner — Trust me, the entire Red Sox nation and the other towns in the AL East were rooting for 19 horses, not Bellamy Road. I could have interviewed the horse on NBC Sports during the race and received more information than I got from Steinbrenner’s farm manager, Edward Sexson. Are all George’s employees sworn to some form of silent omerta? Don’t fret Mr. Steinbrenner, despite your disappointment in Bellamy Road, you have something to look forward to — paying Jason Giambi another $72 million.

:lol